"Revelations--A 'Daria' Fanfic" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Chapter 2- Searching For Answers

(The same moment, at the Morgendorffer residence:)

Quinn went to Daria's room reluctantly. In the past few days, Quinn had deliberately avoided talking about her parent's stunning revelation about the stillborn baby to anyone, save for her conversation with Sandi. She downplayed how she really felt when Helen finally cornered her, waving it off and saying that it really wasn't that important, and that "Life goes on." Of course, Quinn wasn't so sure she could go on without a few questions--or answers--and, despite their differences, she could only talk about something this personal with only one person--Daria. Quinn sighed, then tentatively knocked on Daria's door.

QUINN: (In a quiet tone:) Daria, can I talk to you? It's about--

DARIA: (Lies on her bed, looks at the ceiling:) --The baby, right?

Shocked, Quinn quickly came into Daria's padded room, shutting the door behind her.

QUINN: Huh? How'd you know?

DARIA: (Sighs, gets off her bed, looks at Quinn:) Quinn, it was pretty obvious that you were upset over what our parents said about the baby. I saw how you've been behaving in the last few days. Even for you, I could see that you weren't yourself. (Thought v.o.: And there's not that much "self" there to begin with.)

QUINN: (Hesitates:) Yeah, I guess you could. Mom said you'd even offered to talk to me.

DARIA: (Slightly caught off-guard by Quinn's statement:) Uh, well, it was only a rare moment of weakness. Don't read anything into it. (Crosses arms, changes subject quickly:) So, what did you want to talk about concerning the baby?

QUINN: (Gathers her thoughts:) Daria, what do you think would've happened if our brother had lived?

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: That he's one lucky son-of-a-gun that didn't have to live with the hell that is my immediate family?) (Speaks seriously:) Quinn, to be honest with you, I think our big brother would've made our relationship --(sighs:) better.

QUINN: (Shocked, mouth and eyes wide open:) What? Better? How'd you figure that?

DARIA: Think--(pauses for an instant--this is Quinn she's talking to--the word "think" and the name "Quinn" are used rarely together, save for fashions and boys:) about it, Quinn. Our brother could've maybe bridged the galaxy-wide gap between us because I don't think he'd let us fight. He would've played peacemaker and peacekeeper between us, being the older brother we'd look up to. I really believe that. Look at mom and dad. I think mom was so traumatized by our brother's death, she'd decided to bury herself in her work, even after having us, wanting to forget about that terrible moment--and in a way I couldn't blame her if she did. Dad, on the other hand, went into a shell, becoming a ghost of the man he used to be, and not just because of Grampa "Mad Dog" Morgendorffer. I think that because dad fainted at the very point our mom needed him most, he's never really forgiven himself. Both of our parents haven't been there for us as really strong role models, though I suppose they've had their moments. As a result, our sisterly relationship suffered because our parents suffered. At least that's what I think. What do you think?

QUINN: (After taking in all Daria has said, decides to take up only one point of Daria's--Quinn has a headache trying to keep up after all--see "Through A Lens Darkly":) Of our brother bringing us closer together? (Smirks, rolls her eyes:) Yeah--right. C'mon, Daria. If anything, I think that if our brother would've lived, you and I'd be driven further apart.

DARIA: (Raised eyebrow:) And just how do you figure that?

QUINN: ("Well, duh!" tone:) He would've taken my side when we'd argue, making you resent me and him. I mean, why would he want to take the side of a brain? (Points to self, smug:) With my looks and charm, Big Bro would've obviously agreed with me.

DARIA: (Frowning, usual deadpan voice:) In other words, he'd fallen for the "Quinn Morgendorffer Charm-My-Brother-With-Fluttering-Eyebrows-And-Singy-Songy-Voice-That-Other-Boys-Fall-For-All-The-Time-So-Why-Not-My-Brother-Strategy"? Dream on. I don't think he'd be fooled by your shallowness and charm like the equally shallow and charmless boys that you go out with and then dump about as rapidly as the sun rises and sets. Remember, this would've been our brother. He'd know you better than those guys. (Smirks)

QUINN: (Incensed:) You're just jealous, Daria! Our brother would see my superiority--

DARIA: (Smirks even more:)--In empty-headed shallowness? You have me there, "cuz". (Quinn glares at her, then turns around and stomps out of Daria's room, slamming the bedroom door so hard, it opens back, staying slightly ajar.)

Daria walked to the door and overheard Quinn go downstairs and tell their parents she was going to Sandi's house for a fashion party, and then the front door slammed.

DARIA: (To herself, low voice:) Hmm--now that conversation went rapidly downhill. At least she's back to her normal, annoyingly self-absorbed shallow self. (Leaves her room to go downstairs, sees Helen and Jake in the living room:) Mission accomplished, Mom and Dad--fifty bucks, please. (Holds hand out)

HELEN: (Frowns, hands on her hips while Jake gives Daria the money:) Honestly, Daria! Making money off of your sister's pain! The things we do to get things done around here--

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) She's a pain, all right--besides, I did offer to talk to her for free, remember? You wanted to talk to her your way, and look where it got you. I'm going to the library. (Begins to walk out, then stops and sighs, turns back to look at her parents:) Er, before I go, do you guys, um--need anything?

HELEN: (Surprised, after looking at Jake and vice versa:) Uh, no, sweetie, we don't, but--thanks for asking us.

Daria looked somewhat relieved, then walked out the front door.

JAKE: (Perplexed:) Helen, what was that all about?

HELEN: (Lost in thought:) I don't know, Jake, it seemed as if she--(it starts to dawn on Helen, for she begins to slowly smile)

JAKE: (Now really curious:) WHAT, WHAT, WHAT? (Helen cuts her eyes at him, annoyed)

HELEN: (Sighs:) Come on, Jakey, and I'll explain it over some tea--(both go into the kitchen)

(Back to the Appleton mansion-- the media room, the same time)

Darren could not believe what he was hearing. Adopted? ADOPTED? He had gone through the tape once already, and out of disbelief, decided to play it again to make sure that his sanity hadn't gone by the way of the dinosaurs. He had just listened to his father say that word again for the first time, and then heard his mother speak again.

LUCILLE: --That's right, Darren, adopted. We--(looks about to cry, is held by her husband:) couldn't have any children of our own, so we worked through a--(begins crying, her husband continues)

ARTHUR: (Grimly:) --An adoption agency, Darren--arranged for us to get a baby--you. (Stops for an instant, composes himself:) When we first saw you, we fell instantly in love with you. You were--(Lucille, having stopped crying, cuts her husband off)

LUCILLE: --You were so beautiful, son, we couldn't believe it when we were told that your birth mother didn't want you. The agency said that her family abandoned her when they found out she was pregnant, and that your birth mother thought about getting an abortion, but couldn't do it. Your birth father vanished, according to the what the agency told us, without any clue. The poor dear felt so scared and alone, she gave up her baby, you, to the agency, with the stipulation that she not give her name. We--we paid the agency a fee of $50,000 for getting you, so we jumped to the top of the waiting list.

DARREN: (Eyes narrowed, thought v.o., cynical: Whoever said money dosen't buy happiness is a dirty liar.)

ARTHUR: (Pauses for his next statement:) We had previously invented a ruse, Darren, a story to cover the fact that we couldn't have children. I announced that your mother and I were going to take off for a year, to see the world. We'd figured during the hiatus, we'd say your mother had "finally" gotten pregnant, and that would cover us. To our surprise, the round-the-world ruse was easily believed, for no one questioned it. We left your uncle William in charge of the conglomerate during this time. We didn't want to say that you were adopted because of--certain--perceptions--people would think that someone who they thought wasn't a "true" Appleton shouldn't become the head of the conglomerate to haunt you in your youth, son, not until your mother and I thought you were mature enough to handle the scrutiny that we knew was sure to come. That's why we wanted to wait until you were twenty-two to tell you. At least you would have your life ahead of you, with no distractions to disrupt your college education, and that you'd have a normal childhood. We'd even go to great lengths to keep the media away from you, as you yourself know. (Looks into the camera intently:) Darren, as far as your mother and I are concerned, you are an Appleton, in every context. That's also why we gave almost all of the conglomerate to you--it's your birthright. We also put in the clause that you could take over anytime you wanted. You could give yourself time to recover from our deaths, to take time off someplace, to just get your life together.

LUCILLE: Darren, we can only guess what's going through your mind now. (She begins to cry again:) Just please don't hate us. We only wanted what was best for you. (Buries her head in her husband's shoulder, crying softly. Arthur speaks again)

ARTHUR: Son--I don't know if you'd want us to call you that anymore, though I hope you do--we'd figured that maybe you'd want to try to find out who your birth mother or father is in the future. The agency--the Barnes Adoption Agency in Los Angeles--wouldn't tell us, naturally, but we found out who gave them you. It was a Doctor Hugo Turley in a town called Dumas, in California. We tried to talk to him about five years ago, but he insisted that we could not find out who the birth mother was out of respect for her privacy. Maybe you'll have better luck than us if you try to find out. May God bless you--son. (The screen fades to black, then goes snowy)

Darren stared at the snowy screen a minute more in silence, then used the remote control to switch off the TV. He slowly rose out of his chair and simply went out of the media room quietly.


In the kitchen, Millie had just broken the news to Curtis. Both were sitting at the table talking over some snacks.

CURTIS: (Stunned:) I can't believe what I'm hearing! Darren's adopted? This has got to be some kinda prime-time soap opera! On top of everything else--this is a freaking nightmare! (Slowly shakes his head)

MILLIE: (In a quiet tone:) It's no nightmare, Curtis, I can assure you. Darren was adopted.

CURTIS: God, Millie--how long did you know about this?

DARREN: (Walks into the kitchen, interrupting before Millie has a chance to respond:) Yes, "Aunt" Millie, how long did you know about this?

Startled, Millie and Curtis looked at Darren. He had something of an unreadable look on his face while watching her intensely. Both Millie and Curtis got up, with Millie walking tentatively over to Darren.

MILLIE: (In a quiet tone after a moment:) A little over a year, Darren. Your--(She hesitates, not entirely sure "mother" is an appropiate word to use in this situation, does so gingerly:) mother told me the whole story at that island resort we went to in the Florida Keys last year for the annual stockholder's meeting. I could tell something was bothering her at the time, and after some gentle coaxing, she told me while crying. My reaction was similiar to Curtis when I first heard it. I wanted her and your father to tell you right then and there, but she begged me not to. She said that she had to tell somebody, that she had to get rid of her guilt, to clear her conscience. Darren, I'm so sorry, I can only hope that you can forgive me someday. (Begins to cry, puts face in hands)

Darren stared at her for a second, then his face softened considerably. He walked up to his aunt and gently hugged her, letting her cry on his shoulder. Curtis watched both of them, smiling, privately relieved that his friend was taking the stunning news in such a way.

DARREN: (While still hugging her:) It's--it's okay, Aunt Millie. I forgive you now. I can only imagine what you went through this past year.

MILLIE: (Looks up into Darren's eyes, sniffing:) Darren, there were times I wanted to scream the truth to you, but I waited out of respect to your parent's wishes. I just--just thought it wasn't my place to say anything. (Starts to cry again, becomes agitated:) Dear God, Darren, please don't hate your parents! They were only thinking of you!

DARREN: (Cuts her off gently:) Aunt Millie, I--I don't hate my parents, I could never really hate them. They adopted me, and raised me as their own son, being there for me all of the time, loving me. (Pauses:) How could I hate them after that? (Stares in space, frowns for a moment, perplexed:) I only wished they had told me earlier.

MILLIE: I think they were afraid of what you might do, Darren. That you could have thought of yourself as not really being a true Appleton, of not having the confidence of living with such a discovery.

DARREN: (Stares at Millie and Curtis for a moment before answering:) I heard something like that on the tape. Actually, I think my parents had something of a point, though. Maybe I would have done something if I had known earlier, (narrows eyes, determined look on his face:) something that I plan to do after the non-business reading portion of the will tomorrow.

CURTIS: (After he and Millie look at each other:) What's that, Darren?

DARREN: Why, search for my birth parents, of course.

LUCILLE: (Shocked:) B-but why, Darren? You--you don't want to be an Appleton?

DARREN: (Raised eyebrow in surprise, reassuring her:) Aunt Millie, as far as I'm concerned, I am an Appleton. Its just that I've become--curious about who my birth parents were. As I watched the tape twice over, I couldn't help but to wonder about that. Why did my birth father leave my birth mother? Is my birth mother still alive, or my birth father, for that matter? Does she or he ever wonder about me? My parents told me that I might have wanted to try and find my birth mother or father, and I do. (Pauses:) You know, next to my parents being there for me when I needed them throughout the years--as well as you, Auntie, they did something that was almost just as special--they told me I was adopted. My parents didn't have to say anything to me or to you, to anybody. I would've never known. Maybe I need to find this out as some sort of closure for me, so I can get on once and for all with my life, to get past Stephanie's death, my parent's death, and finally, my adoption, to search for my roots. The fall semester won't start at Eastward for three months, so why not take some time to look for them? I don't know if I'll find anything, but hanging around the mansion for the summer and hiding out from the media will drive me stir crazy, and if I'm going to take a trip, it might as well be for something worthwhile.

Millie was about to say something when William, followed by Elenor, walked into the kitchen. William looked red-faced, as if he was caught in the act of doing something naughty. He glared at Elenor, who promptly returned it.

DARREN: (Looking as confused as Millie and Curtis:) Uncle Will? Elenor? What's going on?

ELENOR: (Still-cold glare at William, accusing look:) Should I tell them, Master William, or should you?

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes at Elenor:) I was going to say something, Elenor. Calm down. Darren, Millie, Curtis, I was about to find Darren once again and thank him personally for choosing me as Appleton Industries' Chairman when I--er, overheard you all talking--

ELENOR: (Angry, looks at Darren then back at William:) --More like he was eavesdropping, Master Darren.

WILLIAM: (Sputters, indignant:) I did nothing of the sort! I just came upon what you all were doing and wanted to wait until you were finished, that's all! (Exaggerates his arm movements in a wild, twisting motion:) Should I have just walked in, unannounced? Of course not!

ELENOR: (Copies William's arm movements:) Could you have just walked away, unannounced, until they were finished, Master William? Of course you could have! (William really stares daggers at Elenor now, and vice versa.)

DARREN: (Expressionless stare at William, speaks in a monotone voice:) Uncle Will, what did you hear?

WILLIAM: (Searches for words:) That you were--adopted by your parents? (To this, Elenor looks shocked.)

DARREN: (Sighs:) Yes, both of you, it's true--I am adopted.

ELENOR: (Stunned:) M-Master Darren? A-adopted? H-how--?

Darren quietly motioned to Millie, and she led Elenor out of the kitchen gently, all the while explaining to Elenor the story of the adoption. Darren and Curtis stayed in the kitchen to talk to William.

DARREN: Yes, Uncle William, I'm adopted. It's a long story, and I--(William puts his palm up, facing Darren) beg your pardon? (Darren and Curtis look at each other, then William, confused)

WILLIAM: (In an almost eerily calm voice:) I already know about the adoption, Darren. Your--father told me about it. Everything. (Darren and Curtis now looked shocked) Obviously, you're surprised, and I guess I can understand why. Your father told me at the annual stockholder's meeting last year also. I see that he wanted to get the guilt of not telling you about the adoption off of his conscience, too. (Looks in the direction where Millie and Elenor walked out:) I must say I didn't know that Millie knew it, too. I followed your father's wishes of not saying anything to you.

DARREN: (Comes out of his stupor along with Curtis:) Uncle Will, you kept this secret for a year, too? (Pauses, looks at his uncle a little uneasily:) To be frank with you, I'm, well--

WILLIAM:--Surprised that I didn't say anything after all this time? It's quite all right, Darren. I can see why you'd think I'd say something to someone, quite the opposite of what your Aunt Millie did. You'd think you and I can't stand one another, and what could be a more perfect way of hurting you than telling someone outside of the family, and causing a media uproar? (Shakes his head slowly, sighs:) Darren, I'd never do that, not even to you. As far as I'm concerned, you are an Appleton, lock, stock, and barrel. If I had any doubts about your loyalty to our family, you proved that by making me Chairman of the conglomerate. (Now Curtis looks shockingly at Darren, who gives him a look similiar to the one he gave Millie that says, "I'll explain later.") I wanted to thank you for that again, Darren, and offer to help you find your birth parent or parents.

DARREN: (Now it's his turn to be shocked:) Y-you're serious, Uncle Will? How?

WILLIAM: By hiring a private detective. He can ask some questions, dig up some facts, that sort of thing.

DARREN: I was planning to do the digging up myself, Uncle, right after tomorrow's non-business reading of the will. (Curtis raises an eyebrow at this)

WILLIAM: Darren, at least let me get a private dectective for you. Although I know you can (makes a finger quote:) "take care" of yourself, the detective can watch out for your back.

DARREN: (Chuckles in a joking manner:) What for, Uncle Will? Do you think someone's going to "attack" me, to keep me from trying to find my birth parents?

WILLIAM: No, of course not, Darren--its just that, well, you're quite wealthy. In addition to helping you find your birth parents, the detective can serve as a bodyguard, to keep someone from, well, possibly trying to kidnap you or something, your being able to "take care" of yourself notwithstanding. Anything could happen. What about the media? If they find out what you're about to do--

DARREN: (Throws hands up, giving in to his uncle's wishes:) Okay, Uncle Will, okay. I'll do it, if nothing else, just to keep you from going on about this. You have anyone in mind?

WILLIAM: Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Let me get out my cell phone and call him. (He does so, and in the meantime, Curtis pulls Darren aside)

CURTIS: (Lowers voice, talks to Darren out of the corner of his mouth while watching William:) Have you gone off the deep end, bud? I'm telling you, he's up to something--probably wants to keep tabs on you for his own reasons. Okay, so the man's thanking you for giving him the reign over the company and everything--speaking of which, I want ask you about that, later--how can you trust him?

DARREN: (Sighs, his voice lowered also:) Ease up, Curtis. I haven't gone totally over the edge yet, (adds after a pause:) though I think I feel I have every right to be tempted to do so after what's happened to me these past few days. Look, whoever uncle Will gets, I'm not letting them out of my sight. As much as I hate to admit it, though, uncle Will does know people who know people. Dad told me once if the company needed to get anything--and I do mean anything in a hurry--that uncle Will could get someone or something in an instant. I can attest to that. Once, I remember that mom liked a certain dress so much, she wanted to buy into the fashion company that made the dress. I know it sounds frivolous, but the next day, uncle Will had called certain people, and viola! Mom was a major stockholder in that company--later the same day, and eventually, that company merged with the clothing division. The man has "connections".

CURTIS: (Frowns:) Yeah, and that's what bothers me--what kind of "connections"? Your uncle could know some unscrupulous people, Darren--people who can do some bad things in business--and otherwise.

DARREN: (Sighs:) Don't worry--I'll be careful.

WILLIAM: (While coming over to Curtis and Darren:) It's done. The detective I found will be able to help you immediately--his name is Gerald Woo, and he has an excellent reputation in his field. I've hired him before in a case concerning our company. He'll be there waiting for you when you arrive in Los Angeles. (Gives Darren a slip of paper) Here's his number for you to call him later before you leave.

DARREN: (Extends out his hand:) Thank you for your help, Uncle Will. I'll have to buy tickets to Los Angeles and--

WILLIAM: (Shakes Darren's hand, reassuring voice:)--No, thank you, Darren--and I'll handle everything, including the car rental and jet arrangements--private, so as not to draw attention to yourself, as well as the hotel accomodations. You just worry about finding your parents. Consider this as--payment for your faith in my leadership as Chairman of Appleton Industries. I'd better start setting up those arrangements right now. I'll see you tomorrow. (Punches some numbers in phone while leaving)

DARREN: Okay, see you then. (Goes with Curtis upstairs:) I'd better get Elenor and Claude to help me pack, Curtis. I'm sure Aunt Millie will probably want to help, too.

CURTIS: Hey, do you need me to go with you? I was surprised that you didn't ask me to come along.

DARREN: (Pauses:) Nah, it's okay. (Smiles:) Your being here when I needed a friend was more than enough. Besides, you're supposed to go visit your grandmother in Florida. When you get down there, leave a message here, and I'll call you after I call here. (Smirks:) And let's not forget about Lena, shall we? (Grins:) I'm sure she's wanting to see you again.

CURTIS: (Starry-eyed, thinking, smiles:) Oh, yeah--huh? Hey, man, cut it out! We're just--friends.

DARREN: (Still grinning:) Uh-huh, now tell me another one--

While Darren and Curtis went upstairs, William went out of the mansion to a waiting limousine out front in the mansion's long driveway, still talking on his cell phone. A chauffeur held the door open while William got in. In the back seat waiting for him was one of the business associates at the reading of the corporate will who had first consoled, and then congratulated William on getting the Chairmanship. He had a sneaky, almost ratlike appearance to him, with a long, protruded nose and slick, greasy, combed-back black hair. He had a mole on the end of his nose, and two big front teeth that stuck out of the top of his mouth. The smirk he had on his face only seemed to exaggerate his features. The limo began to move just as William was finishing up on the phone.

WILLIAM: --That's right, have corporate jet number three fueled and ready to go at my nephew's discretion, and get him the president's suite at the Zenith Hotel in Los Angeles. Make sure it's hush-hush, right? Keep it a secret--we don't want the media to find out what's going on. (Pauses:) Right. Take care of the other arrangements as well. (Pauses:) No, Darren will pay and work with Woo, not me. In fact, I don't want to know anything about what Darren is doing, for this is none of my business. Goodbye. (Pushes off the "talk" button and pulls down the cell phone's antenna, smiles:) Everything's done, Benny. (Reaches into the limo's backseat small refrigerator, pulls out two glasses and a bottle of champagne)

BENNY: (Frowns, confused:) "Done"? Uh, Boss, what's going on? I'd thought you'd want to keep tabs on Darren about finding his birth parents.

WILLIAM: (Pours champagne for himself and Benny, shakes his head slowly:) Benny, Benny, Benny--you've got a lot to learn about my--(sounding like a sneer:) "nephew"--he's no fool, although he does have this rather annoying tendency of being nice--like his "father" and "mother", a weakness, if you ask me. I'm sure he'll ask Woo if he's working for me. I want Darren to find his birth parents on his own. You see, the more time he takes up trying to find them, the more time he stays away from company business, the more time I can consolidate my power in the company. (Narrows eyes, begins to get angry:) The last thing I need is Darren coming to me angry about my "meddling" in his affairs, and then possibly taking the Chairmanship away from me, the Chairmanship that should have been mine when my idiot of a brother and sister-in-law died! I thought for sure that it was mine! Also, I don't have to worry about Darren looking over my shoulder every time I make a decision, sticking his face in my affairs!

BENNY: (While drinking the champagne:) Geez, Boss--how'd we know that the will would give control of almost everything to your bastard "nephew"? (Gets an "I've got an idea" look:) Hey! Why not take care of Darren tomorrow like we did his "parents"? I mean, the jet can be--

WILLIAM: (Quickly becoming enraged:) --YOU IDIOT! (Looks at the driver, who doesn't notice them, for he is still driving, while Benny cringes, spilling some of his champagne:) You're lucky that this part of the limo is soundproofed! If he had heard us--(begins to calm down:) anyway, Darren's "parents" were just killed by the plane crash we caused! (Stares Benny down eye-to-eye:) Are you so stupid as to think that the authorities won't think that something's going on if the same thing happens to Darren? (Frowns:) Sometimes, I wonder about you, Benny. Besides, the National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating the crash, and it may be months before they issue their final report. We won't be in the clear until they say it was a mechanical malfunction, not sabotage. (Sinister grin:) As for Darren--well, "accidents" can happen--later on down the road.

BENNY: (Wiping his brow:) Y-yeah, of course, Boss, you're right.

WILLIAM: (Smug look, drinking more champagne:) Of course I'm right. (Chuckles:) Darren will tell Millie what he's found, and then I'll get the information from her as the "concerned" uncle. Why get it from a detective I'd have to pay myself? Now, I'm in the mood to celebrate. (Reaches over to limo's intercom) Driver, take us to Cherie's downtown. (The driver nods and resumes driving, while William looks at Benny, pulls out and lights up a Cuban cigar, lying back in his seat:) They're some ladies waiting there for us. (Benny grins with a lusty look) I plan to make some changes in the company, Benny, big changes, but we'll have to go slow to make these changes--no need to raise the ire of the Board of Directors.

BENNY: (Becoming more comfortable, now chuckling, talking low:) Okay, Boss--er, how did Darren scream again when you told him his (snickers:) "parents" had died?

WILLIAM: (Puffs cigar, eyebrow raised, smirk on face:) You really liked what I had said before, eh, Benny?

BENNY: (With an even bigger grin:) Oh, yeah, Boss.

WILLIAM: Very well. (Looks at driver, then screams:) NOOOOOOOHHHHGODNOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (Both men roar out laughing, while the driver, not being able to hear them, obliviously drives on.)

(The same time, at the Morgendorffer's:)

The cell phone that laid on the coffee table rang in the living room. Daria, sitting on the couch while reading George Orwell's Animal Farm, reached over to answer it.

DARIA: Morgendorffer residence. My time is your time.

VOICE: Daria? I hoped it would be you.

DARIA: (Surprised look:) Aunt Amy?

AMY: (Chuckling sound:) Please, Daria--remember, it's just Amy.

DARIA: (Sighs:) Sorry, Amy. I think my usual sharp mind and wit have been dulled by all of the free time this season called summer has given to me.

AMY: In other words, you're bored.

DARIA: (Smirks:) That's about the gist of it. Have you called to add some spice to my boredom? You said you hoped it would be me. Well, here I be.

AMY: (Now sounding coy:) That depends. Are you alone?

DARIA: Yeah. Mom and dad are grinding their noses on the wheel at work, and Quinn's out raiding Cashman's with her fellow fashion fiends. What's up?

AMY: Your mother called me yesterday to tell me she and your dad had told you and Quinn about the baby. (Pauses:) I wanted to say that I'm sorry I had a role in keeping it from you. I just hope this doesn't hurt our relationship.

DARIA: Nah, it's okay. I figured you thought it wasn't your place to say anything. Mom said that both her and dad's families knew about her losing the baby. (Raised eyebrow:) Actually, when I think about it, it's kinda strange in a way.

AMY: What?

DARIA: That mom's family would agree on anything. I mean, I'd thought for sure someone would've brought something like this out long ago. For example, if my mom would've been arguing with aunt Rita over whatever childhood "injustice" aunt Rita did to her, then maybe aunt Rita would've blurted out the secret in anger or something.

AMY: (Sighing sound:) I guess I can see what you mean, Daria. It's a miracle that no one said anything after almost twenty years. But maybe just this one time, the whole family came together to help your mother cope, because losing a baby can be devastating.

DARIA: Yeah, I figured that out pretty much. Maybe that's why I didn't get really angry with her and dad when they told Quinn and me. My parents must've gone through their own personal hells over this. (Hesitates, looks around for some reason:) I've actually found myself hanging around the ol' homestead when they're here, in case they needed anything. That is definitely not me.

AMY: (Chuckling sound again:) Uh-huh. That's not you, all right--but I think they appreciate it, anyway. (Pauses:) Speaking of hanging around, where's your friend Jane? I thought she'd be hanging around with you, helping you through your "boredom".

DARIA: She's bonding with her mom on vacation somewhere in the Southwest. I'm trapped alone with my family for a month. I'm thinking by reading, the time will breeze by, and Jane and I can then suffer through our "boredom" together. It's only fair that she gets to go through this, too.

AMY: Or you can make that ol' "boredom" go away by getting a job.

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Please. After my previous stint, a job is not high on my boredom-busting list.

(Note to reader: See "It Happened One Nut")

AMY: Oh, yes, I'd heard that you had a bad experience. Maybe you can consider doing something more in your field.

DARIA: If you mean writing, I'm actually thinking about it, but for now, I'm gonna try and turn this boredom into relaxation by reading.

AMY: (Laughing sound:) I see. Anyway, I'm glad we're able to get past this, Daria. I'll call your mother later. Talk to you soon.

DARIA: (Gives her Mona Lisa smile:) Same here, Amy. I'll tell my parents you called. (Clicks off cell phone.)

The doorbell rang, and Daria went to answer it. When she opened the door, Tom was standing there, looking depressed.

DARIA: (A little surprised, then frowns:) You missed Jane by a few days. Maybe if you'd start right now in that "thing" (motions her head to Tom's blue Pinto parked in front of the Morgendorffers) you call a "car", you'll be able to catch her in a week or so. I hear the desert is nice this time of year.

TOM: (A bit peeved:) Ha, Daria. Very amusing. Look, my clunker of a car gave out on my way over to Jane's, and by the time I finally got to her house, everyone was gone, the same at the airport. I was hoping she would have called me by now. You see, my answering machine is broken, so the only way I know if she called is for me to be there. (Looking hopeful:) Has she called you?

DARIA: (Sighs:) No, Tom, she hasn't called me yet. She's probably way out in the middle of nowhere, and hasn't had the time. I'm sure she'll call you, so don't worry. (Thought v.o.: --But I did tell Jane that you'd be at the airport waiting for her, so what do I know?)

TOM: (Looking regretful:) I wish I didn't laugh at her painting now. I should've known she'd get angry. Art is her life.

DARIA: Jane's life imitates her art. In your case, when you laughed at one, you laughed at the other. I told her that if you weren't able to come to her house, you'd be at the airport, and I assumed that when she didn't see you there, Jane could've gotten angry all over again.

TOM: (Frowns, perplexed:) What do you mean, "again"?

DARIA: She tried to call you at your house and wasn't able to reach you. Jane was getting over what happened with your portrait and wanted to make up with you.

TOM: (Slaps hand on forehead:) Damn, why haven't I gotten that answering machine fixed yet? Daria, if by any chance Jane calls you because she's not able to reach me, would you please get her to call me at this time? (Gets out a pencil and paper and writes the time down, gives the paper to Daria:) Thanks, I really appreciate it, I've got to get to work. (Leaves)

DARIA: (Watches him go:) Yeah, sure. (Thought v.o.: I'm now officially the human go-between. Maybe I can add buttons and a cord to my body and go into business. Nah, I'd be giving busy signals all the damn time--too unreliable.) (Shuts the door)

(Scene changes to the Appleton estate, the next day)

Almost immediately after the reading of the non-business will, Darren rode in his limo to the local airport, slipping out past the media horde, and promptly boarded a private company jet. As soon as the jet began to leave the runway, Darren thought about how the way his parents died--on another company jet. He shuddered, briefly wondering if the same thing could happen to him, and then just as quickly putting it out of his mind. Darren turned his thoughts to what awaited him in California. He had talked briefly to Woo the night before, and had given Woo the information from the "Truth" tape, and of when Darren's aunt and uncle first found out about Darren being adopted. Was Woo trustworthy, or would Woo go behind his back and talk to Darren's uncle? Darren would have to ask him directly as soon as he saw Woo in Los Angeles.

The jet stopped over to refuel in Kansas City, then landed in Los Angeles later in the day. As Darren exited his jet and went into the terminal with a bag in hand, he saw a burly, bearded, cheerful-looking Chinese-American man smiling and waving curtly at him. Darren walked up to him and extended his hand to shake, to which the man responded in kind.

DARREN: (Smiles, looking at the man cautiously:) I'm assuming that you're Mr. Gerald Woo?--

WOO: You are correct, Mr. Appleton, but just for the record, (Reaches into his coat flap, and pulls out ID:) here are my credentials.

DARREN: (After looking over Woo's ID, while feeling a bit foolish over Woo's straightforwardness:) Ah, yes, of course, and please call me Darren. (Thought v.o.: He certainly is up front with his credentials. Uncle Will knows how to pick them.)

WOO: Very well, Darren, and please call me Woo. (Darren raises his eyebrow slightly, curious)

DARREN: (Smirks:) You don't like "Gerald"?

WOO: (Grins:) Actually, I hate the name "Gerald". I'm thinking about changing it--much too plain. I favor a more fancy-sounding name, like "Chauncey" or something. (Walks with Darren, who glances at Woo in a strange way for a moment, to a waiting rental car outside:) Do you want me to take your bag?

DARREN: (Distracted:) Hmm? Oh, no, I'm fine--I can handle it. My other bags are being taken to the hotel.

WOO: You are anxious to get started, I see. I have some news for you already.

DARREN: (Genuinely surprised:) Already? You work fast.

WOO: (Smiles:) That is what you're paying me for, Darren. I will tell you what I have found while driving to the hotel, where you can freshen up, them we can go from there.

Both men got into the rental car with Woo at the wheel. The car began to slowly pull out of its parking space and unto a nearby street.

WOO: You'd best prepare yourself for the news I'm about to tell you, Darren. Some of it is good, some bad.

DARREN: (Frowns slightly:) Okay, Woo--the bad news first.

WOO: Very well. The Barnes Adoption Agency went out of business five years ago. There was a good reason it did--(pauses:) it was a front for black-market babies. (Darren looks stunned) On the surface, it was legitimate, but underneath, well, there was some alleged backroom wheeling and dealing.

DARREN: A-are you saying--

WOO: Yes. You might've been sold illegally as a baby, Darren. (Hesitates:) When you think about it, $50,000 is a hell of a lot of money to pay to get to the head of the line, which leads me to wonder if your parents knew what they were getting into.

DARREN: (Looks at Woo sharply, becoming angry:) Just what are you getting at, Woo? Are you saying that my parents knew that the agency was illegal, yet went on ahead and "bought" me anyway? If you're going in that direction--

WOO: (Sounding in a placating voice:) No, no Darren! I'm simply stating that your parents, in their desperation to get a baby, were a bit--naive in their dealings with the agency. I've had several cases in which couples who couldn't have children of their own go through the same process, though none with this agency. In most of the cases, a lot of money was paid, but no baby was produced. Your parents were quite fortunate they weren't tricked.

DARREN: (Becoming calmer:) I guess--maybe the agency figured that when that much money was being offered up front, the persons they'd deal with were pretty influential, and they would do just about anything to get the couple, my parents, any baby.

WOO: Probably. Anyway, the police tried to break up the ring, but everyone scattered in several directions. When they did arrest some people, there was not enough evidence to convict. The parents who adopted the babies thought everything was on the up and up, at least on the surface, so they couldn't say anything to help the cops--

DARREN: --Hold it. If that were the case--

WOO: Why didn't the police contact your parents? I checked--they did. Your father said that he and his wife thought everything was legal, even with that $50,000 fee. After an investigation, it was decided no laws were broken, and your parents were in the clear.

DARREN: Whoa. Wouldn't have the media discovered what the police were doing or something?

WOO: Maybe--if the case wasn't kept under wraps. Your dad must've had a lot of influence to keep something like this a secret.

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes in deep thought, looks off into space:) Yeah--he had just about as much as my uncle Will. (In a quiet voice:) In a way, it's almost--scary, having that much pull.

WOO: I suppose, but your father was considered to be a most philanthropic man. Having the wealth can cut "both" ways--(pauses:) if you know what I mean.

DARREN: (Frowns at Woo's implied meaning:) That's something I don't want, Woo. I'd like to use my wealth in just one way--the right way. Maybe I'm being a little naive, but I believe that giving money is the way to make it a better world for everyone--as long as it's not wasted on something unimportant.

WOO: An--admirable goal, Darren--speaking of which, do you think you are wasting your money now?

DARREN: (Confused frown:) I don't follow you, Woo.

WOO: (Smiles:) I am speaking about the burning question on your mind--"Is Woo working for me or my uncle?"

DARREN: (Stunned:) H-how did you--

WOO: --Figure it out? (Chuckles:) I not only investigate the cases my clients give me, Darren--I also investigate my clients, you know, to see if I'm being used to cover up anything that my client might be hiding from me, to do wrong? One can't be too careful in my line of work. I found out quickly that you and your uncle were not on the best of terms, that the word "trust" doesn't register between the two of you. That is quite interesting, especially since I have read in the paper of your giving the Chairmanship of the Appleton Conglomerate to your uncle.

DARREN: (Sighs:) You, my aunt Millie, and friend Curtis, and not to mention most of Appleton as well, Woo. Well, I set aside the differences between my uncle and me for the good of the company. He was the most experienced person there. (Frowns slightly at Woo, realizes:) Since you "asked" the question, you can give me the "answer" about working for my uncle.

The car, which had by now turned onto a nearby freeway, pulled onto the shoulder, and stopped.

WOO: (Looks Darren in the eye, serious tone:) As I have said, Darren--I do not want to be used to do wrong. If I even had an inkling that your uncle was using me, no matter what amount of money he offered to me--I would cut him loose in an instant. I take great pride in my work. Like your wanting to give money away in the right way, I wish to do my work in only one way--the right way. I have my honor and reputation to consider. If you still have any doubts as about whether or not to trust me, I will give you all of what I have found, recommend other detectives I know for you, and then go.

Darren simply stared at Woo, dumbfounded for a moment, then he slowly smiled, and spoke in a sincere tone.

DARREN: Woo, I would be honored to have you stay on this case, and I am sorry to have even brought up the question.

WOO: (Breaks out into a smile:) You do not need to apologize, Darren--remember, in my line of work, one cannot be too careful. (Drives car back unto the freeway:) Now, I believe you want the good news--I know where Doctor Turley is, and after you freshen up, we should immediately go and visit him.

DARREN: (Now with a concerned look on his face:) Why immediately, Woo?

WOO: Doctor Turley has terminal cancer that started in his liver, Darren, and has spread throughout his body. He does not have much longer to live in this world, at best he may have a few days, or even less to live.

DARREN: (Reaches for his cell phone located in his bag:) In that case, we should go to Dr. Turley right now. I'll call the Zenith and tell them to hold the room for me later. (Starts to punch in the numbers to the phone)

WOO: Very well. Turley is still in Dumas, which is about 100 miles northeast of Los Angeles. We also have discovered that Turley had been in some heavy gambling debts for years, even before he gave you away. Though even he had gotten rid of them for awhile, the bug caught him again, and he built up his debts again.

DARREN: (Shocked disbelief:) Oh my God--he gave me away just so he could pay up his debts? (Becomes angry:) How sick is that?

WOO: (In a grim tone:) Such is the way of the world that you wish to make better, Darren. (Darren gives Woo a thoughtful look) I suggest you get a nap before you meet the good doctor. We will be there in less than two hours.

DARREN: (While laying back in the seat, closing his eyes:) There's nothing good about that doctor, Woo.

WOO: Indeed. (After a moment:) I am wondering--how will you get Doctor Turley to tell you who your birth parent or parents are, whereas your father could not?

DARREN: (After thinking for a moment:) I'm hoping for some sort of "Last Confession" or something. You know, "I'm dying, so to clear my conscience, I'm going to come clean with everything." (Shrugs:) Yeah, I know it's a long shot, but that's the best thing I can think of, at least for now.

WOO: Perhaps it will work, Darren--let us hope.

About two hours later, the rental car drove into the parking lot of the County General Hospital near Dumas. Darren and Woo got out and went into the hospital, where they went into the lobby and met a receptionist at the front desk. After checking the patient list, the receptionist told them to go to room 204 of the Terminal Care Ward, where dying patients spent their final days awaiting their fateful meeting with death. As both men walked into the hallway of the ward, there seemed to be a sense of depression in the air, of hopelessness. The walls were a plain grayish-white, with no other colors on them. The steel blue doors projected a feeling of finality, as if to say, "This is it. You have nothing more to look forward to--now die and get it over with." Even the doctors and nurses seemed resigned to the fate of their patients, with monotone looks and conversations with one another. Darren glanced uneasily at Woo, who returned the same look just as quickly. This was a place that did not project cheerfulness or comfort for a patient in their final days.

Both men came to room 204, and walked quietly in. The depression carried itself into here as well, with the green drapes of the room shut tightly together, as if the sunlight had some gall to dare try and shine itself through them. There was little to almost no light in the room as a result, save for a small, lighted lamp beside the bed, which illuminated a chair that was beside the bed. Darren and Woo's eyes came upon the horrible sight of Turley, who was lying in the bed, propped up. His skin seemed to be deathly pale, and very wrinkled, with intravenous tubes running in his nose and arms. Turley's eyes looked yellowish and bloodshot, and they seemed to be sunk into his face. He was breathing through a respirator, and a heart-monitoring machine was attached to him by sensors on his chest. Turley stared listlessly at the ceiling above both men.

DARREN: (Looking aghast:) Uh--um--Hugo Turley? Doctor Turley?

For a moment, Turley didn't seem to respond to Darren's question. Darren glanced at Woo and was about to ask again when Turley looked directly at Darren, who promptly froze. Turley's stare seemed to go through him, giving Darren the chills, as if death itself were looking at him. Turley then began to speak, suddenly sounding surprisingly clear, even with a breathing mask over his mouth.

TURLEY: (Tired-sounding voice, cynical:) If you're here for the collection payments from me, I'm all tapped out. Maybe you can get something from my life insurance agency, but leave my family the hell alone.

DARREN: (Recovering:) No, Doctor Turley, we're with no collection agency or nothing like that. I've come to ask you about a baby that you delivered about twenty years ago. (Motions to Woo, who's standing beside him:) This is a private detective that I've hired named Gerald Woo, and my name is Darren Appleton. I have reason to believe from Mr. Woo's investigations that I was that baby.

TURLEY: (Eyes narrowing:) Appleton? (Looks up at the ceiling as if to search his memory:) You mean, as in Arthur Appleton?

DARREN: (Looking hopeful:) Yes, sir. I'm his and Lucille Appleton's--adopted son. Arthur is my first name, and I was named of course after my father. To keep from there being confusion, my family and friends call me by my middle name, Darren, which I actually prefer, while people outside of my family and friends call me "Arthur", officially.

Turley stared at Darren and Woo for a moment, surprised. He then did something that shocked both men: he began to laugh.

DARREN: (Frowns:) I'm sorry, I don't get the joke.

TURLEY: (Still laughing:) Y-yes, I definitely remember now. Your parents paid $50,000 to get you. Well, son, I don't see what you're complaining about. You've got it made with all of your money. Why in the hell would you want to find your real parents?

DARREN: (Glares at Turley:) Because my "real" mother gave me birth. Is that reason enough for you?

TURLEY: (Now smirks:) Actually, I don't really give a damn either way or the other son, about your reasons. I've got my family to think about.

DARREN: (Still glaring:) At least you have your family to think about. My parents are gone, both adoptive and birth.

TURLEY: (Now looks away, suddenly grows quiet:) Oh, right, I heard about the plane crash. (Pauses:) Well, that's tough, son. I mean, I'm gonna die like them soon, so that's life. You don't have money problems like my family's going to have after I die, so you don't understand. I mean, when the bills come in, who's going to pay for them?

DARREN: (Suddenly gets an idea:) How about if I do? (Woo looks at Darren, surprised) Who is your immediate family? (Takes out a checkbook from his pocket, begins to write)

TURLEY: (Looking a bit shocked:) Uh, well, my wife Martha and my daughter, Cassie, who's married and has three children. I'm in the hole more than $650,000. (Woo gives himself a quiet whistle, awed at the amount of the debt Turley owes) The I.R.S. has threatened to foreclose on our home, and I know they'll put my debts on my wife after I'm gone.

Just as Darren was finishing writing the check, a small, white-haired old woman came in with a tray of food. The woman had a haggard look on her face, a look that quickly turned into a scowl when she saw Darren and Woo standing beside Turley's bed.

WOMAN: (Becoming angry:) How dare you come in here and harass my husband? He's ill and you're still trying to get money from him!? If you don't get out right now--

TURLEY: (Weakly holds up his hand:) --It's all right, Martha. These men are here to pay us money, not take any. They're from er--(looks a bit panicked, motions subtly at Darren and Woo to say something)

WOO: --The life insurance agency, ma'am. Your husband is--er, cashing out his policy. As you can see, my uh--"partner" here has a check to give to him. (Darren holds up the check)

MARTHA: (Stunned, puts hand on chest:) I--I don't know what to say. I'm--sorry for my outburst. We've been under a bit of strain these past several months. May I see the amount?

DARREN: (Reluctant:) Er, certainly. (Gives Martha the check)

Martha looked at the check and her eyes bulged out, and her hands began to tremble.

MARTHA: (Eyes lighting up:) My goodness! This check is for one million dollars!

TURLEY: (Shocked with Woo:) It is? I mean, of course it is! (Now smug:) I told you, dear, that you didn't have to worry about anything! (Pauses:) Now, if you'll excuse us, honey, these gentleman and I have to, um--(motions to both men again)

DARREN: --Er, close out the deal, ma'am. We just have to talk about lingering arrangements, you know, that sort of thing.

MARTHA: (Nods her head in an understanding manner:) Oh, of course, I see. (Begins to give back check)

DARREN: (Holds his hands up:) No ma'am, that's your money now.

MARTHA: Yes, you're right, what was I--(looks at check again, narrows eyes:) --wait a minute. This check is from an Arthur Appleton Jr., not from a life insurance company. (Looks angrily at her husband:) Hugo, what in the hell is going on here? (Turley looks terrified)

DARREN: (Steps up:) Ma'am, I--

MARTHA: (Cuts him off and staring up at him, eye-to-eye, takes another look at the check:)--Are you this--"Arthur Appleton Jr.", young man?

DARREN: (Pauses:) Yes ma'am, but I go by my middle name Darren.

MARTHA: I see. (Pauses:) Why did you and--(motions to Woo)

WOO: --Gerald Woo, ma'am--

MARTHA: --"Gerald Woo", lie? I know that my husband has lied many times, but why did you do it?

Darren and Woo looked at each other, and then at Turley, who looked uneasily away.

DARREN: (Decides to come clean:) Mrs. Turley, I'm sorry for lying to you. You see, my parents were killed in a plane crash a few days ago, and then I discovered that they had adopted me via your husband. I hired Mr. Woo here to find my birth parents. Woo found out that your husband was part of--a--well---um--(becomes hesitant, looks at Turley)

MARTHA: --It's all right, dear. (She speaks softly now:) I thought that name sounded familiar--and I'm sorry for your loss. (Glares at her now-unconfortable husband:) I know all about the illegal adoptions, for I found out about them two years ago. My husband came clean with me on them when he found out he was first diagnosed with cancer, and after the police had questioned him on his connections to the Barnes Adoption Agency. (Smirks:) He told the police that he had done nothing wrong concerning the adoptions, and they had no solid evidence in any case, just allegations of wrongdoing. I could see that he lied. (Pauses:) You see, my husband had a "thing" for gambling. After all, he's lied to me about it for years, and I can tell now when he does lie about anything. You name it--racing horses and dogs, craps, slot machines, sports games, etc. I only wonder how the man I married could be an obstetrician and a gambler? Quite a combination, eh? I didn't leave him or turn him in right then and there because I guess I still loved him. (Laughs bitterly, looks angrily at her husband:) Oh yes, let's not forget about all of those phone bills you ran up between your patient's visits. (Sneers:) You were calling in bets, right, dear? (Turley closes his eyes as if he is in pain, and not just from his illness) (Martha looks over to Woo:) But I'm sure Mr. Woo here knows all about the gambling debts already, right? (Woo nods slowly) Good. (Looks back to her husband, eyes full of contempt:) If only you knew about the hell he put our daughter and me through--

TURLEY: (Laughs uneasily:) --Now, Martha, I'm sure these gentlemen don't want to hear about our family--

MARTHA: (In a cold tone:) --No, Hugo, they don't. This young man wants to hear about his family--you know--the one you took from him?

DARREN: Uh, pardon me, but I thought my birth mother didn't want me. I just wanted to find her and say I was--(sighs:) okay.

MARTHA: (Glares at her husband:) Is that true, Hugo? Did this young man's mother not want him?

Turley became silent for a moment, then looked sadly at his wife and Darren.

TURLEY: Well, uh-- (looks reluctantly at Darren, pauses, then speaks:) You see, son, your birth parents think you're--dead. (Darren, Woo, and Martha look stunned) Maybe you'd better sit down. (Darren does so reluctantly in the chair beside the bed) Look, you've got to understand that at the time, I needed some quick cash, and when your birth parents came to me in the middle of the night, it was an unbelievable stroke of luck. (Turley's wife frowns at him, Turley notices:) Aw, crap, honey, I wish you wouldn't look at me that way. Just--just let me explain--

Go to Chapter 3 ******************************************************************************