"Revelations--A 'Daria' Fanfic"

Part 1
By Steven Galloway
SGall23241@aol.com
What if Helen and Jake Morgendorffer had a son they thought had been dead for years? How would Daria and Quinn react to having a full-blooded older brother? How would everyone's lives change, for the better--or for the worse? Let's find out, shall we? By the way, this is my first fanfic, so please don't be too hard on me if you criticize. Thank you.

First, the disclaimers. 'Daria' is the superb creation of Glenn Eichler and Susie Lewis Lynn for MTV, which is a division of Viacom International Inc. , and is written solely for the purpose of entertainment and/or enjoyment of the readers of 'Daria' fanfics, and not for profit, so please don't sue me--I'm not rich. This particular 'Daria' fanfic is copyright 2000 by Steven Galloway, and may be used only with my permission, which basically means that you can freely distribute it as long as you use my name, and not change its contents. My thanks to such books as "The Daria Database" by Peggy Nicoll and "The Daria Diaries" by Anne D. Bernstein for providing valuable information on 'Daria'.

(Note: This story takes place just after the end of Daria's junior year in high school, in terms of the show, that's after the fourth year. Oh, and one more thing: this is quite a long fanfic. I realize I may discourage some people from reading this by writing that, but I do this out of common courtesy just to warn you--of course, while you could read a little here one day, and a little there the next day, it is my sincerest hope that you will enjoy my take on a terrific show--in other words, read it like Daria would--a book. For this reason, I have added hyperlinks that will enable the reader to read this fanfic in the easiest possible way--my thanks go to Michelle Klein-Hass and Daniel Suni for this--I followed their versions of their hyperlinks. Additonal thanks to some others, especially one writer in particular, will be given at the end of my fanfic. Thank you, and now on with the story.)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Prologue


(Somewhere over the Rockies, near Denver:)


Both engines of the private jet were stalled. The pilots were frantically preparing for an emergency landing. The jet was dropping at a fast and steep drop rapidly. There is a man and a woman in the jet's luxurious compartment, both securely buckled in their seats, with nervous looks on their faces. The man, a tall, balding gray-haired fellow wearing an expensive blue business suit. The woman, also with gray hair, although not as gray as the man's, wearing an expensive green designer dress. The man reached over to hold the woman's hand.

MAN: It'll be all right, dear. (Thought v.o.: I'm not sure I believe my own words...I've got to strong for her...)

WOMAN: O-of course it will be, dear. (Thought v.o.: Oh God, if something happens to us, what will happen to Darren, especially with what happened to him after--after---no, don't go there---it's not over yet.)

As if in answer to the woman's thoughts, the jet suddenly nosedives and plows into a mountain.


Chapter 1- Discoveries


(Five minutes later...)


It was a pleasant late Friday evening at the Appleton estate only forty miles northwest of New York City, at least to Darren Appleton it was. He was reading Watership Down, a novel written by Richard Adams. Darren was quite handsome, with wavy reddish-brown hair and deep-blue eyes. He had a jutted jawline, and looked athletic in build, with broad shoulders. He was wearing his pajamas and housecoat, and was sitting at his desk in his room. The spring semester from Eastward College was over, and summer was now here, all the better to relax from his vigorous and rigorous studying, and to try and get past--her...

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: I can catch up on this book now, with dad and mom gone to that seminar.)

Suddenly the phone rang beside Darren's bed. Slightly irritated, he looked over at his wall clock and saw that the time was 11:30 p.m.

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: Who's calling this late at night? Everyone should have known that my parents have gone to that seminar. Well, if it's business, dad will skin them alive. Best let Elenor pick it up. I'm too much into the book to stop now.)

Downstairs, Elenor the maid was fixing herself a late-night snack in the mansion's large kitchen. She was a small woman in her early 60's with white hair and a stern, worn look. Looks, however, could deceive. On the inside, she was a softy, at least where Darren was concerned. She picked up the kitchen phone on the third ring.

ELENOR: This is the Appleton estate. Who is speaking?

VOICE: (Cold:) Elenor, this is William Appleton.

Elenor's face turned into a scowl. She never liked William personally because of his rather brutish, agressive personality, and neither did Darren, for that matter. How dare he call now? She knew that Darren's father, William's brother, gave specific instructions not to call after 10:00 p.m. concerning business. Wait a minute. William knew that his brother and sister-in-law were gone to the seminar in Denver, so why was he calling at the mansion?

ELENOR: (Pause:) Master William, is there something wrong?

WILLIAM: (Still cold voice:) Elenor, will you let me speak to Darren, please? Thank you.

Elenor thought about saying something else, but decided to wait. For some reason, she felt that now would not be a good time to haggle over William's untimely call.

ELENOR: One moment, Master William.

Elenor called on the intercom that was connected to Darren's phone in his room upstairs.

ELENOR: Master Darren, I'm sorry to disturb you, but there's a phone call for you from Master William.

DARREN: (Frowns, thought v.o.: What the--who does Uncle Will think he is? This had better be important...) I got it, Elenor. (Switches on receiver button, curt greeting:) Hello, Uncle Will, this is Darren. What do you want?

WILLIAM: (Pauses, cold voice:) Darren, I don't know exactly how to tell you this---but---

DARREN: (A little annoyed, glancing in his book:) Spit it out, Uncle Will.

WILLIAM: (In still-cold voice:) I just found out that your parent's jet has crashed---there were no survivors. I'm sorry.

Downstairs, Elenor began to eat her snack, a tuna sandwich. Before she could bite into it, she heard an anguished scream from Darren's room, a scream so loud, it seemed to resonant throughout the entire mansion. Elenor dropped her sandwich on the floor, startled. She bolted from the kitchen to the upstairs.

(The place is Dumas, California circa 1980, the time is about 2:30 a.m. In a house, the scene is chaotic:)

DOCTOR: Mrs. Morgendorffer, I'm going to have to perform a cesarean to remove the baby. There's no other way. I'm going to have to put you under.

Helen Morgendorffer was beside herself. She was laid up on a table and pregnant, screaming for her husband Jake, who was behind her. She reached behind, grabbing him by the front of his shirt.

HELEN: DAMN IT, JAKE! Don't let him do this to me! There has to be some other way!

JAKE: (Timidly:) Doctor Turley, isn't there some other way to do this? I mean, you're by yourself and all--

DR. TURLEY: (Calmly cuts him off:) --You and your wife came to me in the middle of the night, Mr. Morgendorffer. There's no time to get to the hospital. Both of you did the right thing in coming to my home, trust me. I've done this many times without a midwife. (He puts on his mask--one would think that he's grinning beneath it--he also gives a mask for Jake to put on,) I'm going to require your assistance, however, for some minor things--get me some warm water in my kitchen, please.

Jake, now with his mask on, begins to get the water, but the situation seemingly becomes too much for him, for he faints. Dr. Turley immediately notices, while Helen watches him and sighs loudly.

HELEN: JAKE!! Get up!! Damn!!

DR. TURLEY: (Now suddenly in a hurried voice:) I'm sorry, Mrs. Morgendorffer, but your husband has fainted, and I don't have the time to help him and you, now! If I don't put you under, you could die, the same for your baby! Please!

HELEN: (After a quick glare at Jake sprawled out on the floor, now resigned to her fate:) A-all right, Dr. Turley. D-do what you must, just save my baby.

DR. TURLEY: (Calm again:) Of course, Mrs. Morgendorffer, now just relax. (The doctor places an ether-soaked cloth over her mouth,) Now breathe deeply--there you go--breathe now...

Helen's eyes closed. Dr. Turley began.

The next instant, Helen's eyes came open. She was lying in a bed in Dr. Turley's bedroom. Immediately, she saw her husband looking at her with a unreadable gaze. Helen looked down on herself. She had had the baby.

HELEN: (Smiles:) Jake, where's our baby boy? Let me see him.

JAKE: (Quiet voice:) Helen, honey, oh God--I'm so sorry--f-forgive me, it's all my fault, I shouldn't have fainted, m-maybe the baby w-would be here-- (Sobs, puts head in hands)

HELEN: (Becomes alarmed:) --Jake, what the HELL are you talking about?! WHERE'S MY BABY?!

DR. TURLEY: (While walking into the room, followed by paramedics, slight pause:) I--I'm so sorry, Mrs. Morgendorffer. The baby is--dead.

HELEN: (Eyes wide open:) OH GOD!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!

Helen suddenly awoke from her nightmare screaming. Jake, lying next to her, jumped up screaming as well. Both hugged each other fiercely.

HELEN: (Sobbing slightly:) JAKE! Oh God, I'm having that dream again!

JAKE: You too, Helen? I thought I was the only one!

HELEN: (Stunned:) Y-you--had the dream about the baby, too?

JAKE: Baby? Honey, I thought you were talking about my Old Man! (Eyes begin to narrow, looks up:) That selfish bastard--

HELEN: (Really annoyed:) JAKE! What the hell are you talking about?! I'm talking about losing our baby!

JAKE: (Confused at first, but it finally hits home:) O--oh, yeah, that.

About a few moments later, Quinn bursted into their bedroom, followed a few seconds later by Daria. Needless to say, both were not happy campers, at least one could tell by Quinn. Daria, however, was another story.

QUINN: MUH--OOM! What's the matter with you? I need my beauty sleep! I'll get wrinkles and lose my cuteness!

DARIA: (Usual deadpan, sarcastic voice:) Oh yeah. That's definitely a loss for all of us. (Quinn glares at Daria) Look, as much as I would like to see your screaming wake up the dead and terrorize the town, I want to spend my first day of summer fully refreshed, ready to live my life preparing for the hellish boredom and/or relaxation one would expect with this particular season. Please resume your horizontal positions in peace. Thank you. (With this, Daria goes back to her room, while everyone stares at her leaving for a moment.)

HELEN: (To Quinn:) I'm sorry, sweetie. I just--had a nightmare. It happens.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Okay, Mom, whatever. (Quinn leaves)

Helen laid back on the bed beside Jake. She looked at the alarm clock beside her bed. It was 3:30 a.m. Jake looked at his wife, worried.

JAKE: Honey, are you all right?

HELEN: (While looking at the ceiling, sighs:) No, Jake, I'm not all right. Those damn recurring dreams about losing our baby are coming back. (Shutters:) I thought I'd put that behind me forever, or at least had come to grips with it. Now, for some reason they're back, and it scares the hell out of me--again.

Jake, in a rather rare show of decisive movement for him, reached over and embraced his wife. He tenderly held her.

JAKE: (In a quiet tone:) Helen, I know I've said this many times, but if I hadn't fainted--

HELEN: (In a soothing voice:) --It wouldn't had made a difference, Jakey. It's okay. I just know I don't want to go back to those psychologists.

JAKE: (Gathers up the courage:) Helen, uh--maybe we should tell the girls. They have a right to know that they had a brother, even if he was stillborn. They deserve to know. Our families have kept this a secret long enough.

HELEN: (Gently pushes herself away from Jake:) Jake, don't you think I haven't thought about that? It's just--just--they might think that we thought that they were weak, that the girls might think we couldn't trust them with something like this, that they couldn't handle it. God, just the other week Amy asked me the same thing over the phone what you just told me. She said it was like keeping a lie going. W--what will the girls think about us lying to them after all of these years, Jake? About having a baby of their own? They might think this could happen to them! (Wraps her arms around herself)

JAKE: Is that what you're afraid of, dear? That the girls might be afraid of having children if you tell them? Uh--well--

HELEN: (Curious look:)--What, Jake?

JAKE: --Well, Daria's a strong girl, and we can support Quinn if she'd gotten upset over this. But you had Daria and Quinn after what happened that night. You recovered.

HELEN: (Deep in thought:) So I did. (Pauses:) All right, Jake. We'll tell them tomorrow, but listen very carefully--(she looks him dead in the eye with a determined look, one that Jake knows all too well:) do not even think of reading a newspaper when we tell them, because I want your full attention, got it?

JAKE: (Timidly:) Y-yes, dear. (Turns on his side away from her:) G-good night, honey.

HELEN: Goodnight, Jake. (Closes her eyes)

Later that morning, Helen and Jake were waiting in the kitchen for their daughters. They sat at the table looking warily at each other, holding hands and not saying a word. There was a newspaper that Jake had retrieved earlier that sat on the table between them, but it was still rolled up in a plastic bag. Fortunately, it was a Saturday, and there was no need to do the usual Morgendorffer two-step-go-to-work-no-time-for-talk performance. Helen had even taken the batteries out of her cell phone! This was a serious moment, indeed.

Soon, Quinn came into the kitchen, apparently in a rush.

QUINN: Can't talk now, guys! I've gotta go see the Fashion Club at the mall for a summer fashion meeting---

HELEN: (In a firm voice:) Quinn, sit down.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) But Muh--oom--

JAKE: (In "back-up" mode to Helen, firm voice as well:) Sweetie, please do what your mom says, this is really important.

QUINN: (Sits down reluctantly:) Look, if this is about my grades, I passed! I barely passed, but I passed! No summer school, right? (Slightly sounding desperate, eyes widening:) Right?

HELEN: (Sighs loudly:) No Quinn, it's not about your grades. It's something else, and it's not about you. Just wait until Daria gets here, okay?

As if on cue, Daria walked into the kitchen. She noticed that everyone was looking at her.

DARIA: (Usual sarcastic deadpan repartee:) Okay, I'm here. (Pauses:) You may now resume your daily activities. (Waves hands:) No, no, there is no need to rise up for me. I will continue my daily motion of cereal consumption, early morning style. If you wish, you may watch. (Pauses:) No, don't thank me. It's your right.

HELEN: (Sighs even louder and longer:) Daria, please sit down and listen to us. (Daria does so) There is a really important matter your father and I have to tell you and Quinn.

DARIA: It must be. The famed newspaper hasn't been taken out of it's famed plastic bag, and you're not talking on your famed cell phone.

HELEN: (Ignores Daria's remark:) Girls, your father and I have to tell you a secret, a family secret that (Pauses:) we've kept from you for almost twenty years. You see--

QUINN: (Suddenly jumps up & points to Daria:) I knew it! Daria's adopted! You found her real parents! I couldn't possibly be related to her!

DARIA: (Looks directly up at Quinn, sarcastic:) Actually Quinn, I came up with a similar conclusion. (Looks at Helen and Jake, smirks:) Now, tell me who my real parents are, and I can leave you all to go back to them, and away from all of this nonsense that I call a family.

HELEN: (Becoming angry:) GIRLS--

JAKE: (Jumps up:) DARIA'S--ADOPTED?! OH NO! HELEN, I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT THE BABY WE LOST BEFORE DARIA AND QUINN WERE BORN!

The stunned silence, needless to say, spoke volumes.

(The same morning, at the Appleton mansion, an hour later)

WOMAN: You cold-hearted fool! How could you call Darren like that?

The scene in the foyer of the Appleton mansion was full of tension. There was a woman, a spunky-looking, attractive, late-forties red-haired beauty with a fierce scowl. She glared up into the face of a large, husky, balding black-haired man with thick, bushy eyebrows and an equally fierce scowl. Also in the foyer were Elenor the maid and Claude the butler, standing to the side.

MAN: (Finger pointing in woman's face, angry:) Now see here, Millie--I wanted Darren to find out first, and not let the media get the story out, and let him find out that way by them calling here, or Darren seeing it on TV, or reading it in the paper!

MILLIE: You could've called me and we both could have told him in person! You had no right to leave poor Elenor to console Darren! You've no feelings, William!

WILLIAM: (Now enraged:) NO FEELINGS?! Millie, our brother and sister-in-law are dead! You--

ELENOR: (Walking up to both:) Please, Master William and Mistress Millie! Master Darren may wake up and hear you arguing! (Lowers voice:) Besides, Claude got out of bed last night and helped me with Master Darren. (Claude nods frantically) It was all we could do to finally get him to sleep, and that was only a few hours ago!

Millie and William seemed to calm down after Elenor's tepid intervention, but still glared at each other. Claude, a tall, thin, grey-haired man with a thin mustache, followed Elenor's lead and walked up to both.

CLAUDE: (In a soothing voice:) Master William, Mistress Millie, won't you have something to eat? You need your strength.

William let out a quick, affirmative grunt and walked to the dining room. Millie glared after William a second more, and then followed him.

The dining room was large and opulent, with a chandelier hanging from a high ceiling over a twenty-foot long oak table. The walls and ceiling were covered with paneled mirrors that were trimmed in a gold leaf finish. The floors were marble with intricate flower designs. William and Millie sat down in two of the twelve matching oak chairs that surrounded the table, with William sitting at the end of the table and Millie sitting near the end, beside William.

MILLIE: (After staring down at the table a second, looks at William:) I'm--sorry for shouting at you, William. It's just that--

WILLIAM: (Looks away, calming himself:) --You don't have to apologize, Millie. You're--right, of course. I shouldn't have called like that. I just wasn't thinking.

MILLIE: (Reaches over and pats William's hand, in an assuring voice:) William, as you've said, we've both just lost our brother and sister-in law. In tragic situations, people do things without thinking clearly. Now we've got to think about Darren. My God, what's going to happen to him?

WILLIAM: Look, Elenor has called his friend Chris--no, Curtis--yes, that's his name--over this morning. Along with us, he'll help Darren get through this. Didn't Darren get over his girlfriend's death? What was her name--

ELENOR: --Stephanie, William. It was Stephanie, and no, Darren didn't. He seemed to be coming out of it a little, but her death only happened a little over a month ago. There's no way he could've gotten over it that quickly, or for that fact, maybe ever.

WILLIAM: What do you mean, Millie?

ELENOR: (Sighs, exasperated:) Wasn't it obvious, William? They were in love with each other.

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes:) Hmph. Love is for the weak at heart. I've no time for it.

MILLIE: No, you don't. (Sarcastic tone:) You're too busy thinking about money, power, and the conglomerate. I think something like love goes over your head.

WILLIAM: (Now with a low, meanacing tone, talks through clenched teeth:) That's enough, Millie. Someone has to continue to keep Appleton Industries going, and to handle the fallout from this.

MILLIE: (Becoming angry:) Fallout? Is that all you care about, our stockholders?

WILLIAM: Damn it, Millie! Arthur and Lucille would think about the company! They'd want us to put their house in order--(then adding as an afterthought in response to Millie's incredulous look:) after dealing with Darren, of course.

MILLIE: (More sarcasm:) Of course. Don't you think that's why wills are read? Wills are what put houses in order, don't you forget that.

WILLIAM: Oh, I won't. You won't let me.

A moment later, Claude and Elenor walked in with several covered trays. Beneath the trays were several dishes: two egg omelets, bacon, toast, orange juice, jam, and coffee. William and Millie began to eat. For a few minutes, there was only the sound of eating. William then stopped and looked directly at Millie.

MILLIE: (Mildly frowns:) What?

WILLIAM: (While drinking coffee:) There's going to be a press conference a little later this morning at the Peerdale Hotel downtown. The National Transportation Safety Board may have some answers as to why the jet went down. I'm wondering if I should be there to represent the company--

MILLIE: (Sarcastic, cuts him off:) --Yes, William, represent the company, don't worry about the family. Show your true colors. I'm sure there's no one else in the company to do that.

WILLIAM: (Grows angry again:) Look, Millie--

The doorbell suddenly rang.

MILLIE: Do you think that's Curtis? The media isn't allowed on the estate's grounds. Did you tell security to let Curtis by?

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes:) Oh, come on, Millie! Of course I let them know! Do you think I'm a complete idiot?

MILLIE: (While smirking:) No. Just a half-baked one. (Gets up to go to the door)

William glared in silence after Millie, then got up and followed. Claude had already opened the front door.

CLAUDE: Master Curtis, thank you for coming.

Curtis stood at the doorway. He was a medium-height, athletic-built African-American with his hair cut in a box shape. He had a look of deep concern on his clean-shaven face. He had walked into the foyer just as Millie and William came in.

CURT: Hey Claude, Millie, Mr. Appleton.

WILLIAM: (With something of a phony demeaner:) Now, Curtis, there's no need to be so formal. Just call me William. (Reaches out to shake Curtis' hand. Curtis returns his shake with a limp, insincere one.)

CURTIS: Yeah, right. (Looks around:) Where's Darren? Is he still asleep?

DARREN: (Shouting in a level-sounding voice:) No, Curtis--I'm awake now.

Everyone looked up at the top of the stairs. They saw a very weary-looking Darren still in his housecoat and pajamas. He looked down on them, his expression unreadable. He came down the stairs in a slow, drawn out walk.

CURTIS: (Walks up to Darren:) Oh man, I'm so sorry. (He grips Darren's shoulder, gently sqeezing it.) Is--is there anything I can do for you?

DARREN: No, man. I think I'm still in shock, but I also think I'm all cried out. This is surreal. (He then hugs his Aunt,) Aunt Millie, are you and Uncle Will all right?

MILLIE: Us? You're the one we're worried about, Darren.

DARREN: (In a weary voice:) I'll survive. I have to. Right now, I've got to eat something, or at least try. (He walks trudgingly off towards the dining room, then stops and turns around, looks at Claude:) Claude, I've already told Elenor this, and I want to tell you as well--thank you for being there for me with Elenor last night. I don't know what I would've done if either of you weren't there for me. (Claude nods quietly, slightly smiles. Darren begins to walk again, then stops, rolls his eyes, and turns to Curtis:) Where are my manners? Curtis, have you eaten breakfast? Did Aunt Millie and Uncle Will offer you something?

CURTIS: It's okay, man. I already ate. (Hesitates:) You want to--talk or something?

DARREN: Later. Right now, I just want to eat or something. Come on, just keep me company, and just watch me eat. (Curtis smiles weakly, then walks into the dining room with Darren, followed by Claude.)

WILLIAM: (Looks after them, with something of a sneer, in a low voice:) Well, now. I see he had words for me, didn't he?

MILLIE: (Raises her eyebrow at William's rather bitter tone of voice:) He asked if you were all right, William.

WILLIAM: No, Millie, he asked you if I was all right. He didn't say it directly to me.

MILLIE: (Sighs, rolls her eyes:) Now, William--

WILLIAM: (Curt:) --Forget it, Millie. Look, I've got to go home to my Park Avenue apartment and get some company papers, and then get to the press conference. I'll see you later. I'll see that security continues to keep the press out. (He immediately leaves, slams the door)

MILLIE: (Looks at the door with a scowl on her face, eyes narrow, talks to herself in a low, hushed tone:) You really push everyone away, don't you, brother? Well, I won't let you try to push and bully Darren in his grief concerning the company, not that he'd let you, I'd suspect. You can count on that, and--oh,no--the secret will be out--my God--Darren, as if everything that has happened to you already wasn't enough...(Millie's face turns pale)

(Scene changes to the Casa de Lane residence, Lawndale, the same morning, Jane's room)

Jane was packing some clothing into a duffel bag on her dresser, not painting at her easel for a change. Daria sat on Jane's bed, watching her.

JANE: (With a stunned look on her face:) You and "Princess Prissy" almost had a WHAT?

DARIA: You heard me, a brother. He would have been two years older than me.

JANE: Geez--and run the reason by me again as to why your parents didn't tell you after all this time?

DARIA: (Sighs:) Mom and dad, particularly mom, were afraid Quinn and I were going to be afraid of having children of our own after hearing of her losing the baby, or at the least, think of her and dad in such a way that would cause us to lose respect for them for not telling us the truth after all those years, as if I haven't done that already.

JANE: Uh-huh--and what did "Little Miss Cupie Doll", who (lets out a small snicker:) "accused" your parents of adopting you, do again?

DARIA: She looked completely stunned--she didn't say one word after our parents told us everything, not even asking any questions, then excused herself and went up to her room.

JANE: Whoa. She didn't say one word at all? (Daria shakes her head) And how did you take this?

DARIA: (Pauses, then shrugs:) It was cool with me. I'm used to the standard Morgendorffer lunacy. The self-centered, egomaniacal "cousin", the wimpy, out-of-touch dad, the domineering mom--this is tame stuff.

JANE: (Pauses packing, skeptical look on her face:) Yeah--right. Now, how did you really feel?

Daria stared at Jane a second. She slowly put a finger to her mouth and then got up and went to Jane's door. She opened it and looked out into the hallway both ways, then slowly shut the door back. Jane watched her with a slightly arched eyebrow, curious. Daria then leaned back against the door with a bit of a wistful look on her otherwise impassive face. She stared a second more at Jane, and then spoke.

DARIA: Jane, I felt that---for sure I was--(dramatic pause:) adopted. (Mona Lisa smile)

JANE: (Frowns slightly, smirks:) Oh, hardy-har-har. Very damn amusing. You're telling me you weren't affected at all?

DARIA: Well, I have to admit I was caught off guard there for a second. It would have been--interesting having a big brother, someone to confide in, or to just hang around with. Quinn doesn't count, of course, so I'll have to settle for you, I guess. (Pauses:) I'm curious though--what's it really like to have Trent as a big brother?

JANE: (While resuming her packing:) When he's not sleeping? It's cool. I can rely on him to really be there for me, you know, giving me rides and stuff. I guess he feels like it's his duty to watch out for me since our parents are usually off gallivanting someplace, and I ain't complaining. (Pauses:) I think a brother's role is to be there for you anytime, I guess.

DARIA: (Subtly changing the subject:) Well, your mom's not gallivanting anywhere without you this time. Where are you two going again?

JANE: (Tries to hide her excitement, but failing somewhat:) We're flying out to the Grand Canyon and are going to some Native American villages in the Southwest. She wants me to experience pottery skills from the locals firsthand for a month, and I can paint some, too. (Smirks:) At least by some small miracle, all of our bills are paid up for now, so we don't have to worry about the house being repossessed. (Pauses, gets a serious look on her face, reflects:) Maybe that's why I'm going with her, so we can have a little time together, to make up for her being everywhere but home--

DARIA: (Looks slightly despondent because her friend's going to be gone, but inwardly happy for Jane, adds her dry wit:)--And nothing like a chance for some good, old-fashioned mother-daughter bonding, right? (Slight smirk)

JANE: (Looking a bit sheepish:) Well, I guess--(she then smirks wickedly:) and speaking of bonding, this gives you a chance to bond with Trent! Nobody will be around!

DARIA: (Shakes her head slowly:) Jane, come on, knock it off. Besides, Trent's leaving with Mystik Spiral tomorrow for two weeks on a "find-a-gig-tour" across the country--if he and the band can make it around the country in one piece in the Tank. Why would they come up with a cockamamie idea like that anyway?

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Besides Trent getting an excuse for a cheap vacation from his sleeping? Trent and the boys think that some record agent out there in the "Great Unknown" will spot their "hidden" talent if they play at carnivals or trade shows or something like that. They even actually have a few gigs already locked up. So what's the big deal? You'll have two weeks left when he gets back to make your move. (Realizes something, smirks:) Hey! I didn't tell you that he was leaving for two weeks, at least not yet. How'd you know? Did he tell you himself? Looks like you're already making that first move, girl.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Foiled your plan to tell me at the last minute, eh? C'mon, cut out the yenta act already. Besides, I got that info from your mom, not Trent, and she volunteered it.

JANE: No can do with the yenta act, dear, at least not yet anyway. My plan of getting my mom involved with getting you and Trent together is working perfectly. (She rubs her hands in an evil way, like an evil scientist in a movie, smirks again, and laughs in a mockingly evil way:) WOO-WHO-HA-HA!

DARIA: (Sighs, slightly exasperated:) Yeah, really smooth plan there, Lane. At least you'll have a little reprieve with your mom way off someplace. Me, I'm gonna be stuck with the hell that is my family. My parents are thinking about going to the beach or the mountains. If it's the beach, I can consider drowning Quinn accidently. If it's the mountains, I can consider pushing Quinn off a cliff accidently. (Shakes her head slowly, hand on her cheek:) What a choice, what a choice.

JANE: (Crosses arms, mocking motherly sympathy:) Awww, poor baby.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Anyway, have a good time. I know I won't here. Don't worry about the house--I'll keep an eye on it while you guys are gone.

JANE: (Genuine smile:) Thanks, Daria.

Suddenly, there was a knock at Jane's door. Daria opened it and saw Trent standing there.

TRENT: (In his usual low-key, laid back voice, smiling:) Hey, Daria.

DARIA: (Quietly smiling back:) Hey, Trent.

Trent walked past Daria and went to Jane.

TRENT: Janey, I can't find my songbook. Have you seen it?

JANE: Don't tell me you lost it when we went to Fremont. Did you check in the Tank?

(Note to reader: See, of course, "Speedtrapped")

TRENT: Hey, maybe you're right. Jesse said for me to leave it in there so I wouldn't forget it again. I'll call Max and Nick in my room and check. (Turns to leave, walks past Daria:) Take it easy, Daria.

DARIA: (A bit hesitant:) Um, see you, Trent. Have a good trip, and uh--be careful. (Trent nods to her and goes into his room, shuts his door)

JANE: (Smirks, mocking Daria's voice:) "Be careful." Oooh-la-la! Why don't you go to Trent's room and say goodbye to him in your own "special" way?

DARIA: (Blushes slightly, playfully waves her fist:) Why don't I just send you on your vacation in my own "special" way, ahead of your mom, courtesy of "Air Daria", fist class? (Adds her own smirk:) Besides, aren't you going to say goodbye to Tom in your own "special" way?

(Of course, dear reader, Jane met Tom in "Jane's Addition")

JANE: (Now frowns, finishes her packing:) He and I aren't on speaking terms right now, you know that.

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Oh, come on. Don't tell me you're still mad that he joked about your abstract painting of him yesterday.

JANE: (Still annoyed, eyes narrowed:) He said it looked like a rodent, Daria--a rodent! To me it wasn't a joke. Come on, Daria, I take my art really, really seriously, right? (Daria nods) When he laughed, it kind of--hurt. I know I shouldn't have shouted at him, but that painting represented my feelings for him, and he didn't seem to appreciate that. (Frowns:) Actually, when I think about it now, this was just another moment in a long line of--(checks herself, says nothing else)

DARIA: (Miffed somewhat, eyebrow cocked:) Another--moment--in a long line of--what?

JANE: (Shrugs her shoulders, waves it off:) Nah--it's nothing. (Sees Daria's skeptical look:) Really. (Looks away uncomfortably for a moment)

DARIA: Oookay. (In a serious tone now:) Look, Jane--Tom and I aren't still exactly the best of er,--(hesitates:) friends, but I really don't think he meant any harm when he laughed at your painting. Remember, it was of him, and not of say, me. I mean, if he would've laughed at my portrait, you would've been short one boyfriend. (Jane smirks) Just call him and--(sighs:) I can't believe I'm saying this, but--make up.

Jane looked at the painting of Tom leaning in the corner of her room for a moment, then shrugged.

JANE: Ah, hell. Okay, okay! You're right! (Picks up her phone and dials Tom's number)

The phone rang for about eight times, and then Jane slammed the phone down.

JANE: (In a frustrated, angry tone:) DAMN! He's not home!

DARIA: (Trying to sound reassuring:) He could be on his way over here, or maybe he'll be waiting out at the airport to surprise you. Let's not assume that anything's wrong. (Looks at her watch:) Hey, the plane's going to leave in less than an hour. Is your mom ready?

JANE: Dunno, I'll check. (Walks over to door, opens it, and shouts down the hallway:) MOM, ARE YOU READY TO GO?! (Daria winces at Jane's loud voice)

AMANDA: (From downstairs in a loud but somehow still-soothing voice:) YES, JANE, I'M WAITING FOR YOU AND TRENT! WHERE IS THAT BROTHER OF YOURS?

JANE: IN HIS ROOM! I'LL SEND DARIA TO GET HIM! (Daria glares at Jane) Hey, you don't have to walk in there. Just knock and he'll comma runnin' out. (Waves her hands in a shooing fashion:) On withya now, girl, gotta get my bag and easel. (Daria goes out in the hallway to Trent's room and knocks)

DARIA: Um, Trent? (Silence, she knocks again:) Trent? (No response. Daria tries the doorknob, which turns, and she peeps in to see Trent sprawled out on his bed, stomach first, asleep, and yes, in his regular clothing:) Well, there's a newsflash for you--"Trent's Asleep--Again".

Jane, now carrying her duffel bag by a strap over her shoulder as well as her easel, brushed past Daria and violently pushed open the door to Trent's room, speaking as well in one motion:

JANE: (Grins, In a loud, hysterical, hurried voice:) THIS IS A RAID! PUT YOUR HANDS UP WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM! DON'T HIDE THE STASH! (Trent promptly jumps out of his bed, wide-eyed)

TRENT: (In a panicked state:) Officer, it's not mine! I didn't--(looks around for a second, then glares at Jane:) Aw, damn it, Janey! I'd wish you'd stop doing that! (Sits back on his bed, starts to put on his shoes)

JANE: (Sinister smirk:) Hey, it's the only way to get you up. Come on, we're ready to go to the airport. (Looks at Daria, eyebrow raised:) You sure you can't go with us, Daria?

DARIA: (Looks uncomfortable for a moment:) Nah--I've got to take care of some--personal stuff at home. Be sure to not send me a postcard, I don't want to send it back to you mutilated. (Jane smirks) Remember--don't worry about Tom, like I said before--I'm sure he'll see you off--he's probably at the airport, waiting to surprise you. (Jane looks hopeful, and both girls go downstairs with Trent)

(The Morgendorffer home, same time, Quinn's room. Quinn is lying on her bed talking to Sandi on the phone)

QUINN: (Her typical singy-songy voice:) --Yeah, Sandi, a--uh--family emergency. That's why I couldn't come to the Fashion Club meeting at the mall.

SANDI: (Usual haughty valley-girl tone:) Well, like, I can excuse that, Quinn. We all have these types of emergencies, like the time I couldn't find the right ruby red lipstick for that white satin dress I bought at Cashman's a few weeks ago. It was terrible, I can tell you.

QUINN: (Fake sympathy:) Ohh, right, Sandy. Uh--I was--uh--curious--

SANDI: Yes, Quinn, like, what is it?

QUINN: I wanted to know--what's it like to have Sam and Chris for brothers?

SANDI: (Sounding slightly put off by Quinn's question:) What exactly do you mean, Quinn?

QUINN: (Quickly covers herself:) Ohh--nothing, Sandi! I just wanted to know, you know, since I'm an only child, just what it's like to have um--brothers? I sometimes--think about that.

SANDI: (In a suspicious tone:) Hmm--was this, like, the "family emergency" you were talking about, Quinn?

QUINN: (Wonders if she should say this to Sandi, sighs, then decides to tell:) Well, yeah. I just found out that I could 've had an older brother, but he died while being born. You know, I wonder how it would have turned out if he had lived.

(Note to reader: Remember "Gifted" and "Daria Dance Party", in which we saw Sandi's brothers at their worse against Sandi? This is going through Sandi's mind after Quinn's remark)

SANDI: (Sounding bitter:) You're lucky, Quinn.

QUINN: (Taken aback:) H-huh?

SANDI: You heard me. You're lucky. You don't have to put up with bratty, snotty-nosed little monsters who hit and mistreat you, or let you freeze outside! I had to, like, stay out of school for three days because I had a cold, remember?! You don't have to put up with stupid screaming and tattling! You don't have to worry about any of that!

QUINN: (Slightly shaken by Sandi's tirade:) T-that's terrible, Sandi! There has to be some good things about having brothers, right? (Pauses, no response:) Sandi?

SANDI: (After a moment, cold:) No, Quinn, not at all. (Changes the subject abruptly:) Look, Quinn, let me tell you what we talked about at the meeting...

QUINN: (Thought v.o.: I don't know why she hates them. I don't exactly feel that way about Daria, even though she is a brain. I just don't want to be seen with her--there's a difference--right?)(Speaks as if she understands Sandi's briefing:) Yeah, I see, Sandi, uh-huh...

Downstairs, Helen was watching television and Jake was beside her on the couch reading the newspaper. Helen had put the batteries back in her cell phone, but no one from her law firm had called yet about any weekend work. She was watching the morning news when a live report broke in.

NEWSPERSON: ---Thanks, Terri. We have a live press conference at the Peerdale Hotel in New York City coming up concerning last night's tragic jet crash near Denver that killed Arthur and Lucille Appleton of Appleton Industries. The National Transportation Safety Board will give their early findings concerning as to how and why the jet crashed. It is expected that because the investigation is in its preliminary stages, there will be very little information, primarily because of the remote location of the wreckage in the mountains, and that the jet's recording device, it's Black Box, hasn't been located yet. Stand by for further information. On a postscript, speculation rages as to what will happen with the Appleton Conglomerate, and how this will affect its performance on Wall Street. There may be a statement from the Vice-Chairman, William Appleton, soon.

HELEN: (Wistful look on her face:) Appleton Industries. Hmm--I've heard that the Appletons had a son--Arthur, I think--I wonder why the report hasn't said anything about that poor young man?

JAKE: (Looks up at Helen from his newspaper:) Huh? Oh--(points to the article in the front page of the paper:) It says in the paper, honey, that his private life has been pretty well kept under wraps. His family wanted him to not grow up in the "Glare of the spotlight", or something. Even trying to find a good picture of this "Arthur Jr." guy is extremely rare! I guess they wanted him to have a pretty normal life. (Pauses:) Say, why'd you ask about that?

HELEN: (Glares at Jake, sighs loudly:) Isn't it obvious, Jake? They had a son that will outlive them, someone to carry on the line. (Sad look:) I wonder what would've happened if our son had lived.

JAKE: (Thinks about when he mentioned to Andrew Landon about having a son [Note to reader-see "Gifted"])---You know Helen, (puts down paper, becomes amorous in nature:) we could maybe start on possibly having one. (Begins to put arms around Helen.) It's not too late, you know.

HELEN: (Brushes him off:) No, Jake, not like that. If there's one thing I learned from those damn psychologists is that I shouldn't have a child to simply replace the one that I lost, but to do so out of love. Why do you think we waited awhile to have Daria and Quinn? (Pauses:) Speaking of Quinn, I really should check up on her and see how she's doing. (Gets up to go to Quinn's room, while Jake resumes reading the paper)

Helen went up the stairs to Quinn's room with a slight air of apprehension. When Jake "dropped the ball" about the baby, Daria had an unreadable look on her face, (surprise, surprise) and then, after a pause, asked questions as to what happened and why had Helen and Jake kept such a secret from she and her sister for so long. Quinn, on the other hand, simply looked stunned and said nothing, and then after Daria's questions, excused herself, and went to her room. Then, to Helen and Jake's surprise, Daria offered to talk to Quinn. Helen, however, decided that Quinn needed time to fully digest the news, and that Helen herself would talk to Quinn later. Certainly Jake would be of no help, especially after his incredibly stupid outburst. The last thing Helen needed was his imput.

Helen heard Quinn talking on the phone, probably to a boy or one of her Fashion Club friends. She hesitated for a moment, wondering if she should knock and interrupt Quinn's conversation, then decided to wait to talk to Quinn later, quietly leaving Quinn's door.

(Scene goes back to the Appleton Estate)

After Darren had eaten breakfast, he and Curtis went to the media room and sat down to watch the press conference. It was quite a large space, with a veritable gigantic fifty-inch television screen and CD/VCR/audio center, with hundreds of VHS tapes. It was in fact, a mini-television studio, with real oak paneling along the walls. Millie came in to join them, and tried to gently dissuade Darren from watching it. Darren had refused, insisting that he had to see why such a well-maintained jet could simply crash so easily, and that the sooner he could deal with what happened to his parents head-on, the sooner he could get on with his life. Darren leaned forward and watched the TV intensely.

(On the TV screen:)

SPOKESWOMAN FOR THE NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD: According to reports from the control tower, the pilots said that they were losing fuel, and that the jet was rapidly losing altitude. Early speculation is that the fuel line just built up too much pressure and began to leak fuel profusely. It was amazing that the jet didn't explode in the air.

DARREN: (Mutters to himself:) No, just the on the ground.

NTSB SPOKESWOMAN: We're still trying to recover the jet's Black Box, and when we do, we'll have more infomation--

Darren suddenly clicked off the TV with the remote, surprising Curtis and Millie.

DARREN: I've seen enough. (Sighs:) I'm going to go to the workout room and then take a shower. (Gets up and prepares to go)

CURTIS: (Along with Millie, gets up, too:) Hey, uh--

DARREN: (In a weary tone:) It's okay, Curtis. I don't need anything --really. (Looks off in space, narrows eyes:) I--I've got to get ready later for the funeral arrangements after I take the shower. (Pauses, looks at Curtis:) I'll see you later, okay? Thanks for being here, but right now, I need to be alone. (Leaves quickly)

Millie and Curtis watched Darren leave.

CURTIS: (Hand on forehead:) Oh, Lord, Millie. What are we gonna do?

MILLIE: (Turns Curtis to her, looks at him pointedly in the eye:) The only thing we can do, Curtis--be there for him.

CURTIS: (Looking like he wants to cry, slowly shaking his head:) After Stephanie, and now his parents--it's not fair, damn it!

MILLIE: (Pats Curtis on the back, gently, looking like she too, wants to cry:) Life's not fair, Curtis. (Thought v.o.: And it's going to get worse before it gets better, with that damn secret that Darren will find out about soon.)

The funeral the following Monday was private, with police and security keeping the media at bay. From a local large church, the large funeral procession ended up on the southeastern part of the 450-acre estate grounds, a beautiful wooded area. Darren remembered that his parents loved this part of the estate, and Millie remembered that her brother and sister-in-law wanted to be buried here. Darren had been remarkably quiet throughout the funeral, more than likely because he had cried himself out, Millie supposed. Neither she nor Curtis left Darren's side. Millie could only dread what was coming next, having known from Lucille the secret. William, meanwhile seemed somewhat impatient. He had gently prodded the pallbearers to go a little faster with the coffins, even offering to leave the bereaved immediate family to help put them in the hearse. Millie noticed this, and she quickly looked over at Darren, who had a brief look of rage on his face while watching William. The looked vanished just as quickly as it came when they had gotten into the limos. After both coffins had been lowered onto the ground, everyone went into the Appleton mansion.

After everyone from the politicians to the business acquaintances of Arthur and Lucille Appleton gave their condolences and left, Darren, Millie, and William went into the huge, book-filled family study, leaving Curtis outside in the hallway. The family lawyer, Leonard Potter, was waiting for them, along with several Appleton business associates. Leonard had the look of one of those scholarly-professor types. He had bushy brown-gray hair, glasses that sat on the edge of his nose, with a stern, business-like, no-nonsensical poise about him. He wore a gray tweed suit, with black elbow pads. Darren respected Leonard for his straight-forward bluntness and honesty concerning the family's legal dealings, and because of the fact that William did not like him. William thought that Leonard was too tepid in legal matters, and had even tried to have Arthur Sr. remove him, which of course, Arthur Sr. did not. Except for Leonard, everyone sat down at a large rectangular mahogany table in the middle of the study. Leonard stood at the head of the table,and after a few seconds of looking at some of his notes, began to speak.

LEONARD: We are here to read the will concerning the business holdings of the Appleton Conglomerate, and only the business holdings. The non-business holdings will be read with other parties, family and otherwise, tomorrow. Only those who have been requested here by the deceased--(pauses, looks at Darren for a moment as if to say, "I'm sorry", Darren nods for him to go on:) holders, Arthur and Lucille Appleton, as per instructions from the will, may attend. (Leonard shifts some papers around, and sighs for a second, then speaks:) Ninety percent of the conglomerate's holdings, including all of Appleton Industries, and the Chairmanship, upon approval of the Board of Directors, shall be given to Darren Appleton--

At this point, it was safe to say that chaos erupted, with several associates screaming at the same time, and William leaping out his chair, enraged, while Darren looked stunned, completely at a loss for words.

WILLIAM: (Obviously stunned and enraged:) What-in-the-hell-is-this?! Tell me this is a freaking nightmare! There's no way that he (points at Darren:) is ready to run a billion-dollar plus conglomerate! He's not even a--(checks himself, looks around foolishly, red-faced:)--er, ah, experienced.

LEONARD: (Completely calm, stern-faced:) William, if you're through making an ass out of yourself, please sit down. (To which William, after a momentary glare at Darren, does) Thank you. Now, as I was going to continue to say, this is not retroactive, so Darren does not have to be Chairman anytime soon. In fact, he has the option of choosing someone else to run the company in his place until he chooses to take the helm himself. The time he chooses is at his own discretion, or he could simply give up the post to someone else permanently.

MILLIE: In essence, Darren can wait until he's good and ready to take over the Chairmanship, no matter the length of time.

LEONARD: Precisely, Millie. The ball's in Darren's court, so to speak. (Looks at Darren, who's still speechless)

WILLIAM: (Eyes wide open, hands thrown in air, looks up, talks in a tone of stunned disbelief:) This is un-be-lieve-able. I cannot fathom what was going through Arthur and Lucille's minds when they did this. Our entire conglomerate--at the mercy of Darren's whims? The whole world has gone insane. (Buries head in hands while resting elbows on table, consoled by some associates beside him, while Millie, who is sitting across from him, frowns)

Darren slowly rose up out of his seat and looked at everyone sitting at the table, walking in a deliberately slow motion, with his hands behind his back. Everyone watched him without a word, mesmerized. He walked around the table in silence, gathering his thoughts, then he paused--and spoke.

DARREN: I don't know exactly what to say, so please bear with me for a moment. (Pauses:) I guess I have to make a decision as to what direction this company will take. There's no way I can take over now, that's for sure. I'm just not up to it, with what's just happened and all, and my going to Eastward College, not wanting to end that prematurely. So, I'm going to choose someone with the experience and wherewithal to continue what my parents started, someone who can push the company's goals in a positive direction, one who's been Chairman before: (dramatic pause, sighs:) Uncle Will.

At this point, it was safe to say that chaos erupted, with several associates screaming at the same time, and William leaping out of his chair, stunned and delighted, while Darren looked expressionless. Millie looked at Darren with stunned disbelief, her mouth agape. Darren glanced and nodded at Millie as if to say, "I can explain", then he spoke again.

DARREN: (Looks around:) Undoubtedly, some of you are somewhat stunned as to why I chose my Uncle Will on a temporary basis. (Looks impassively at William, who stops congratulating some of the same colleagues who were consoling him only seconds earlier, and stares uneasily at Darren,) Actually, the reason I chose him is quite simple: he is the most qualified person in this company, and--personal feelings aside, he is capable of doing the job, having done it before with a glowing report. (William beams, his chest is puffed out) My parents always said that personal feelings should never get in the way of doing business because it can disrupt one's ability to condusive reasoning in conducting business with others. (Sighs:) I'm sure my uncle will put the best interests of the company first.

WILLIAM: (After getting up, rushes to shake Darren's hand, delighted:) Well said, my boy! Well said! I couldn't have put it better myself! You've made a wise choice! (Darren rolls his eyes:) Don't you worry, Darren--the whole conglomerate is in safe hands!

DARREN: (Shakes hands with fake smile, thought v.o.: It better be, or you'll be hitting the highway, Uncle.)

The rest of the meeting focused on the remaining ten percent of the conglomerate, which consisted of minor holdings. Afterwards, everyone adjourned, save for Darren, Millie, Leonard, and Curtis, who was allowed to come into the study.

LEONARD: Darren, there's something else your parents wanted to give to you--

MILLIE: (Intercedes:) Leonard, can't this wait until later? I wanted to talk to you over the phone yesterday about it, but you were out--

LEONARD: (Calmly:) No, Millie, you know it can't. Arthur and Lucille gave me specific instructions to do this after the reading of the company will. (Begins to pull out a videotape from his briefcase)

DARREN: (Looks between Millie and Leonard:) Do what? What's going on? What's on that tape, Leonard?

LEONARD: (Gives the tape to Darren:) Just see for yourself, Darren. I can't tell you. I'll see you tomorrow. (Looks at Millie, then leaves)

MILLIE: (Sighs, gently grabs Curtis:) H-he's right, Darren, just see for yourself. Come on, Curtis, we should leave Darren alone to view the tape. Let's get something to eat in the kitchen. (Curtis looks as if he's about to say something, but the quick glare and head shake from Millie stops him, and, after glancing at Darren once more, leaves.)

Darren watched them leave and stared at the tape. It said, "Truth". For some reason, he felt queasy, not exactly knowing why. Reluctantly, he went into the media room, and shut the doors. He put the tape into the VCR and turned it and the TV on, and sat down slowly, watching with a sense of uneasiness. The screen went from snowy to black, then his parents sitting in the study faded into view. They had a pained but determined look on their faces, as if what they had to say was going to do something bad, but had to be said anyway. Arthur Appleton spoke.

ARTHUR: (Completely serious tone:) Darren, this is a day that your mother and I have long dreaded--your watching this tape can only mean one thing--that your mother and I are dead. We can only hope that everything good we've taught you in your life will never be forgotten, and that your mother and I loved you very much. (He looks pained--holds his wife's hand, then goes on:) Please never forget that especially, son. We always tried to be there for you, throughout the good and the bad, the thick and the thin, always there supporting you. But--there's something your mother and I kept from you, something we planned to tell you when you turned twenty-two. (Pause, looks at Lucille, then the camera:) Darren, you were--adopted.

Darren stared at the screen in utter and total disbelief.

Go to Chapter 2  Chapter 3 ******************************************************************************