"Revelations--A 'Daria' Fanfic"

Part 4
By Steven Galloway
SGall23241@aol.com
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

(To the reader: Still here, eh? You know the drill--no recaps. Read it like a book! Now, on with the story.)

Chapter 10-I.O.U.

The storm from the previous night had finally abated into a misty rain outside the Morgendorffer home. In his room, Darren slowly opened his eyes, and saw a nodding and snoring Jake Morgendorffer sitting beside the bed, with his arms crossed. By now, Darren had become used to seeing his birth father in this way, not even flinching anymore. Darren quietly chuckled to himself as he slowly slid out of the bed on the other side. He tiptoed around his bed, so as not to disturb Jake, and gently laid Jake, who was mumbling in his sleep about Helen not letting him do anything, (to which Darren cocked a quick, amused eyebrow at this,) down on the bed, covering Jake with the bedsheet. Darren then put on his housecoat over his pajamas, quietly gathered his jogging clothing out of his dresser (he decided to get his red hooded sweatshirt to wear with his white sweatpants after he got a quick look out of the window), socks and shoes, and slipped out of his room.

Darren went in the bathroom and changed into his jogging clothes. He wished he could've used his dumbells to stretch before he went jogging, but thought the better of it, as it would disturb Jake. Darren carefully folded up his pajamas and housecoat, and put them on top of the clothes hamper. He quietly came out of the bathroom and went down to the living room. Since he wasn't awoken by Daria during the night on going to the local airport to pick up Daria's friend Jane and her mother, he assumed that Trent had picked them up already--with what was on his mind, he was privately grateful for the sleep, which surprisingly was fitful. Darren suspected it was because of the rain that pelted the roof--he could always sleep better at night when it rained.

As he stepped out of the house while stretching, Darren immediately saw that the storm had caused some branches from the trees around the neighborhood to fall down on the street and in the yards. He pulled his hood over his head, and stepped out into the damp, misty air, and started to jog. If this had been any other day, Darren would've considered not going out, but he needed to get out and think about what Woo had told him last night.

Murdered. His parents were murdered by a hired killer. This was beyond incredible--and this "Sanchez" bastard was still out there. Darren secretly wished he could find him, and--no. That wasn't him. He had almost went over the edge when Turley told him how Turley switched him for the dead baby by choking Turley--and that scared him.

But who could have done it? It had to be someone wanting to get control of Appleton Industries, like Woo had speculated. He remembered when he was given the Chairmanship of Appleton Industries through the reading of the business will, and the chaos that ensued immediately afterwards, as well as when he chose his uncle to head everything--the same thing had happened. Could it have been someone there? He thought about the people who had attended the reading of the business will--most of them were ambitious--a good trait to have when it came to wanting to be a success. Maybe one of them went too far with wanting that success? Just thinking about that gave Darren the chills. He suddenly thought about his uncle's right-hand man, Benny Lodell--now there was a man that didn't like Darren for some reason--Darren could feel the hate resonating from Lodell when Darren went around him. Of course, there's always the very real fact that somebody out there doesn't like you, no matter how nice you are to them--Lodell seemed to be that way to Darren. He shook his head quickly as to get the thought out of his mind, and continued to jog.

Darren's jogging route went from the Morgendorffers, near the Cranberry Commons Mall, past Lawndale High School, by Quinn's favorite restaurant, Chez Pierre, (Where Darren had promised to take Quinn tomorrow afternoon, whereas Daria had respectfully declined to go) and Darren also jogged past the exclusive neighborhood called Crewe Neck, and then proceeded to go near the area's unstable landfill. All throughout the jog, he had to contend with the misty conditions, but it wasn't enough to really slow him down. He saw more tree branches on the ground and on the streets, as well as some minor flooding, with the water receeding into the gutters. Here, he treaded carefully, avoiding the water--good thing his hooded outfit and jogging shoes were waterproofed.

(Note to reader: See "The Daria Diaries" for Darren's jogging route--I'm guessing that from looking at the map, Lawndale is about 10 to 20 square miles in size--quite possibly someone in great shape could jog around the tiny suburban town, at least around the shopping district and the homes that surround it)

As he was jogging near the unstable landfill, (Daria had warned him not to go across it, because of the possiblity of sinkholes that could be formed from the old landfill's light soil, epecially after it rains), he heard a scream that sounded like a female's. Responding to it, he rushed onto the landfill, getting some mud on his sneakers and sweatpants, and saw that indeed a sinkhole, about 20 feet in diameter had formed, probably because of the torrential rain from last night, but he could only see on its top edge. He carefully came up to it, and peered over. The sight in front of him made his heart race with fear.

In the middle of the sinkhole, (about 12 feet deep) there was a mud-covered person, possibly the female, struggling like mad to get out. The person, however, thanks to the mud-covered walls that were collapsing as fast as that person was trying to scale them, was making no headway--in fact, it only made it worse by attempting to do so because the person then began to sink in the thick muddy pool that was in the middle of it. The mud was quickly up to the figure's shoulders, and getting worse. The figure screamed again--definitely a female's voice--a teenager. The young woman then began to sink to her neck, gasping for air in the mud.

Looking frantically around outside the pit, Darren saw nothing he could use to lower over the edge and use to pull the young woman out of the sinkhole--the whole landfill was one large muddy bed. He looked back into the sinkhole. the head of the young woman had almost gone under, and her arms were still flailing around--but they were slowing down from exaustion.

DARREN: (Screaming and still looking around:) Try to be still! Moving around only makes it worse! The mud is like quicksand! (Focuses on the young woman:) Do you understand me?!

The mud-covered young woman, apparently so covered now that she couldn't see where the voice had come from, nodded in a direction that was pointed away from Darren for a second, (the mud had kept her from speaking now--it was so thick) but then she started to sink a little more, and then panicked, giving a muffled scream, and the mud started to get higher on her face. Darren looked into the pit and saw something that could help--thanks to the still-collapsing mud walls, a large, long-buried thick tree root was now protruding out from the side of the sinkhole, opposite from him. It was on the side that was a little lower than on Darren's. He rushed to the side where the tree root was sticking out, and carefully slid down the walls, grabbing on the root for support, and effectively putting himself at risk. If the root suddenly fell out, then he and the young woman would be in trouble because the mud-covered walls could keep them both in, for there was no traction to grab onto anything else. He then looked for the head of the young woman.

There were bubbles in the mud where the head once was. The young woman was gone beneath the mud.

Now frantic, he reached over to where the head was, using his right arm and hand to feel around through the thick mud, splashing it around while holding on to the root using his left hand. For a moment, he felt nothing--then his hand grabbed the shoulder of the young woman, and he used his arm to reach under and around her, pulling her out of the mud. The woman was limp. Darren, now himself completely covered with mud, couldn't tell if she was alive. He looked back at the root to see if it had gave, but it didn't--thank God it didn't. He pulled himself and the young woman up the root, and struggled to get both of them out of the sinkhole. For the next 10 seconds or so, it was touch-and-go, but eventually, he got himself and the young woman out. Carrying the young woman in his arms a safe distance away from the edge (in case it collapsed even more, thus possibly causing them to fall back in), he gently laid her on her back, and put his finger on her neck, checking for a pulse--which he did not get. He positioned her head for CPR, breathing in her mouth, and listening for any breathing from her. He did this a few times more, then the young woman suddenly awoke, coughing and spitting up mud out of her lungs, and gasping for air. She fluttered opened her eyes and saw the mud-covered man who had saved her life. She started to sit up.

DARREN: (Immediately speaks in a gentle tone:) Careful, miss--don't get up too quickly. You don't want to get dizzy. (Pauses:) How do you feel?

YOUNG WOMAN: (Still coughing and gasping:) L-like an idiot. I've gone over that area a whole damn number of times, and nothing's ever happened to me like that before. I knew it was unstable, but jogging across it saved me time. Damned landfill--(slaps her leg in disgust, splashing up mud:) damned, damned, DAMNED, landfill! Damned IDIOT!

DARREN: (Slightly taken aback from the young woman's reaction:) Hey, take it easy--you're alive at least--(chuckles:) nothing "idiotic" about that.

YOUNG WOMAN: (Grows quiet, looks directly at the man:) Yeah, I am--thanks to you. (Offers her mud-covered hand:) Jane Lane's my name--your's?

DARREN: (Stunned, shakes her hand:) J-Jane Lane? Daria's friend Jane?

JANE: (Eyebrow cocked beneath her mud-covered face:) Uh-huh--how do you know Daria? (Pauses:) Hey, are you from Lawndale High?

DARREN: (Smiles sheepishly under his mud-covered face:) Ah, no--you see, I'm Darren--Daria and Quinn's brother, and Helen and Jake Morgendorffer's son.

JANE: (Eyes light up, shocked:) Well, I'll be damned--(smirks:) so you're the "Big Bro". (Starts to get up:) What a way to "meet", eh? (Thought v.o.: Crap! I can't see how he looks under that all that damn mud--just have to wait until we're cleaned up, I guess.)

DARREN: (Helps Jane up by her arm, sounding a little concerned:) Easy, Jane--don't get up too fast, now. The blood could rush to your head.

JANE: (Stands up with Darren, a bit unsteady:) Whoa--yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks, Darren.

DARREN: You're welcome, Jane--(gives a quick smile:) I wouldn't want Daria's "Partner In Crime" to hurt herself trying to get up. (Pauses, looks in the direction of the sinkhole:) I suppose we'd better call someone and tell them about that sinkhole, don't you think? We don't want anyone else to fall in.

JANE: (Looks in the same direction, smirks:) Good idea--one person per sinkhole should be the standard from now on. (Pauses:) Tell ya what--I'll do the callin' when I get home, and before I change, capeesh? (Starts walking with Darren away from the old landfill)

DARREN: Okay, that sounds reasonable. So--what time did you and your mother get in last night? I'm assuming Trent was waiting for both of you at the airport--?

JANE: Yeah, we got in about 1:30 this morning--the plane had to circle the airport for about 20 minutes until we could land, it was so stormy. The surprising thing about Trent was that he was wide awake and waiting for us when we got in--(chuckles:) I'm going out on a limb and say it was the thunder and lighting that kept him awake in the airport terminal--(adds as an afterthought:) oh, and I guess he was also kind of worried about us, too.

DARREN: (Laughs:) Uh, yes--Daria told me about Trent's rather--narcoleptic tendencies.

JANE: (Nods her head, smirks:) Uh-huh. Anyway, my mom and I had our first look at Mystik Spiral's "new" used van, too. Trent's car is in the shop, being repaired, and he's the one using it to drive around until he gets his own car back. As for that van--(in a mock commercial-sounding voice:) "New interior van" fresh smell! No more "pukey-like" aroma! No more "beer-like" stench! (Goes into a faux sorrowful mode:) It just won't be the same's, I tells ya. (Snaps fingers in mock frustration:) Aw shucks--I'm gonna miss not having that in the "new" Tank!

DARREN: (Looks over at Jane, chuckles, thought v.o.: Daria said Jane had a bit of a twisted sense of humor--let's see if I can add a little of my own--no need to let her have all the fun:) Well, maybe Mystik Spiral needs to break it in, first--who knows? A little beer and vomit here and there, and I'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference! (Looks up, mock ponders:) Oh, give it about, umm, six months, and you'll have that vaunted, old-reliable smell, guaranteed!

JANE: (Cuts her eyes over to Darren, smirks, thought v.o.: So, the boy does have a sense of humor--that little "trick" he played on Quinn, notwithstanding:) Oh, I don't know, Darren--Trent said that he and the guys want to keep the "new" Tank clean inside. (Darren cocks an eyebrow in surprise beneath his mud-covered face) I couldn't believe it, but it seems like they're really serious about it--like they have a renewed sense of purpose. Trent told us that the "Mysterious Benefactor's" financial "help" made him and the guys think--hard. He told me that if someone as rich as this person could give them $8,000 and tell them to not give up on their dreams, then the guys figure they could at least go all out and not give up, if not for the "benefactor's" sake, then themselves. (Darren smiles to himself over this) (Jane then ponders for a moment:) I told Daria yesterday I wish I knew who this person was--from what I heard from Trent, the way he and the guys have been going since that generous gift, makes me wish I could thank them for doing something like that.

DARREN: (Holds down the satisfaction he feels after hearing Jane:) Daria told me she thought that this "Mysterious Benefactor" had some sort of ulterior motive for doing something like that. (Pauses:) Do you think he or she did?

JANE: (Shrugs:) I dunno--what would be the point? It's not like Mystik Spiral's successful enough to warrant any special attention, or something. (Pauses:) Daria's just, you know--

DARREN: (Laughs, nods his muddy head slowly:) --Daria, I'm beginning to understand that. Don't take this the wrong way, but is it me, or is she really unyielding when it comes to judging other people when they don't meet up to her standards?

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Oooooh yeah. Daria's standards are unique, to say the least. A cynical outlook when it comes to life, mistrust of authority, the hard, harsh light of reality, etcetera, etcetera--you know, the usual stuff.

DARREN: (Gets quiet:) How are you her friend, Jane? You seem to be more, well--

JANE: --Open to more things in life than she is? I guess you can say that I'm kind of like her--enough to pass her "standards", but I'm more willing to be tolerant of people's shortcomings than Daria is--don't ask me why, I just am. Underneath, though, I know Daria has a good heart.

DARREN: (Nods in an understanding manner:) Yes, I know. Did Daria tell you about Quinn, and what I'm trying to do with her?

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Yeah! She said that you're gonna perform some sort of "miracle" and help Quinn get into a fashion school--after she becomes an intern on a summer job working at a fashion company, or something.

DARREN: (Grins:) Well, "miracle" may be a bit too strong of a description. Quinn's going to have to do her part. She's going to have to work really hard to get in, school-wise and work-wise. (Pauses:) Believe it or not, I think I'm getting through to her.

JANE: (Snorts:) Well, good luck with "Quinny-poo"--she's gonna need it. (Darren gives a little snicker at this)

Having seen no one else as of yet, the two walked down the broken branched-covered street in the still-misty morning, they went past the abandoned quarry, and here encountered two county maintenance men who were gathering up the broken branches, and putting them in a garbage truck. The two men, a tall, skinny fellow, and a short, fat fellow, stopped and looked at the mud-covered Jane and Darren, and smirked.

SKINNY MAN: (Starts to laugh, points at Jane and Darren:) W-what in the hell is that, Roy?

FAT MAN: (Ditto:) L-looks like the pigs have escaped their pens, Harry!

JANE: (Smirks evilly, leans over to Darren, and speaks in a low voice:) Pigs and pens, huh? Seems like Mutt and Jeff over there are looking at us like we're freaks. I'm gonna scare 'em off, and remind them to mind their own damn business.

DARREN: (Looks a Jane a little uneasily, speaks in the same low tone as her:) Ah, what are you going to do?

JANE: (While walking slowly forward towards the men:) Watch. (Stops about ten feet in front of the two men, and then suddenly starts to jump up and down, and screams:) WAAAUGH! EEEEYARGH! OOGA-BOOGA-BOO! OINK! (Starts to suddenly run at the two wise-guys)

The eyes of the two men suddenly grew wide, looked at each other terrified, and they dropped the branches they were carrying, and ran for their lives, screaming and shouting all the while, eventually running out of sight. Jane stopped and watched them go, pointing at them and laughing hysterically. Darren looked at her for a second, stunned, then began to join in as well. Both started to continue on their way.

DARREN: (Still laughing:) D-Daria's right--y-you are a wicked woman, Jane--

JANE: (While laughing as well:) --And I'm damned proud of it too, "Kimosabe"--'till the day I di--(stops in her tracks, realizes what she was about to say, grows quiet:) God. (Looks up at Darren, suddenly afraid, who has stopped along with Jane, looking at her, baffled:) I-I almost d-did, didn't I? Y-you did save my life. (Pauses:) I-I guess I owe you, huh?

DARREN: (Looks down at Jane, grows quiet himself, tries to look for words:) Hey, uh--I just did the right thing, Jane, that's all--you don't owe me anything, okay?

JANE: (Narrows her eyes on her mud-covered face up at Darren, walks up to him, sounding angry:) You're kidding, right? Are you saying my life's not worth anything, Darren?!

DARREN: (Taken aback, slightly stunned, holds up hands:) No, no, Jane! I-I'm just saying that you don't feel like you have to owe anything to me for that, that's all! (Pauses, chuckles uneasily:) Besides, if I didn't think it was worth anything, I wouldn't have tried to preserve it, right? (Starts walking immediately from Jane to try and alleviate the tension in the air:) Um, we'd better hurry up and get on, don't you think? Even though the misty rain is keeping the mud on us moist, I'm still starting to feel uncomfortable, if you know what I mean. (Uses his hands to slide a glob from his arms, plops it on the ground) Ugh.

Jane stared at Darren walking away for a second, then began to follow him.

JANE: (Comes up beside Darren, thought v.o.: Don't think you're off the hook, buster--I owe you, and I'm gonna pay you back for saving me.:) Sorry to snap at you like that, Darren, and you're right about thinking enough about it to try and "preserve" it--it's just that the reality of death that's hit me in the face, okay? (Darren gives Jane a sympathetic nod and smile) (Jane pauses, changes tone:) So, um, how did you find Daria and her--your family?

DARREN: (Glances down at Jane sideways, smirks:) You know, I could take that question one of two ways, Jane. (Jane chuckles) In this case, I'm assuming that you're wondering about how I came to discover that the Morgendorffers were my birth family, and how I came to be adopted in the first place. I kind of figured that you'd want to hear my story with Daria in tow. (Pauses, realizes something:) Say--wouldn't have Trent told you? Daria said that you talked with him occasionally while you were on vacation.

JANE: (Waves him off:) True--but he said that the story he heard was so unbelievable, that it was too much to get into over the phone--like Daria had told me--and that I should get it from her. Since you're here, however, you can give me the shorthand version if you like, and Daria can help you fill in the blanks later.

DARREN: (Hesitates:) Well--okay, but you'd better prepare yourself, Jane--it isn't a pretty story.

JANE: (Cocks an inquisitive eyebrow up at Darren:) Somehow, I'm not too surprised to hear that. Shoot.

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's home, about the same time)

Helen, who had awoke and found that Jake wasn't beside her in bed, got up and looked around for him in the house, stopping only to make a quick call on her cell phone in the kitchen. When she had searched around a little more and found nothing, she had a hunch and peeped into Darren's room. Surely enough, she saw Jake sleeping in Darren's bed. Helen walked up to the bed and gently shook Jake.

HELEN: Jake--Jake--(shakes him a little harder:) JAKE!

JAKE: (Wakes up:) Wha-huh? (Sees a scowling Helen, becomes meek, pulls sheet up to his chin in fear:) Oh, um, hi, honey!

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Jake, haven't we gone over this before when I caught you in here a few days ago while Darren had gone on one of his jogs? Darren's too polite to say anything, but you've got to stop watching over our son! He's practically a (sighs:) grown man!

JAKE: (In his "whiny" mode:) But, Helen, I can't help it! I just wanna be there for him if he needs me! (Becomes solemn, looks down:) I mean, I wasn't there for him all those years, but that "Walter" guy was. (Looks at Helen forlornly:) He calls me "Jake", and you "Helen", not "Dad" and "Mom" to us! (Frowns, slams the palm of his hand on top of the bed:) It's just not fair, damn it! (Pauses, grows quiet:) Helen, it's just like my Old Man wasn't there for me--except to berate me all the damn time! (Helen sits down beside him, pats Jake on the back gently)

HELEN: (Sighs, gently turns his head to her, looks at him in the eye:) Jakey, it wasn't your fault. (Emphasizes again:) Wasn't-your-fault. Your father chose to treat you the way he wanted to--you didn't have a choice in the matter of raising our son--(looks off in space, narrows eyes:) thanks to that S.O.B. Turley. (Looks back at Jake:) We can be thankful that Darren's here with us now, and that he turned out to be such a fine young man--that's all we can do. (Becomes quiet, looks off again:) Maybe someday, he can call us "Mom" and "Dad". (Looks back at Jake:) For now, dear--I want you to promise me that you won't watch over our son like that again, okay? Please? He's safe right here, and he's not going anywhere.

JAKE: (Looks away, snorts:) Yeah, Helen--just back to Eastward and then living with his aunt--what's her name again? Oh yeah, Millie, and not with us.

HELEN: (In a gentle tone:) Now, Jakey--he can come and visit us, and I'm sure that eventually, we can visit him, too.

JAKE: (Sounds sheepish, slowly looks at Helen:) I guess so, honey--(takes a deep breath, and gets a determined look on his face:) and I promise not to sit beside Darren's bed again!

HELEN: (Looks up in mock thought, playfully chuckles:) Weeell--I suppose if he gets sick or something, that's okay, Jakey.

JAKE: (Now back to his usual "chipper" self, giving a thumbs-up:) A-okay, honey!

HELEN: (Smiles:) Good--now get up and out of that bed, mister--we don't want Darren to find you in here when he comes back from his jog now, do we? (Stands up)

JAKE: (Gets up as well:) Okey-dokey!

Daria, who had gotten up to get a glass of water, had been out in the hallway listening to Helen and Jake talk. After cocking a slight eyebrow to her father complaining about Darren calling him and her mother by their first names, she listened a little more, then went back into her room unseen after they had finished.

Quinn, who was half-dozing in her bed at the time Daria had walked by her room, had become fully awake when she heard Daria. Quinn slipped out of her bed, opening her door ever so slightly and peeked into the hallway where she saw Daria listen to Helen and Jake talk, which by the way, Quinn could also hear herself. She saw Daria turn around from the door when their parents had finished, and Quinn quickly, but quietly, shut the door before Daria could see her. Quinn crawled back into her bed, and lying back on her pillows, put her arms under her head, looking at the ceiling with her eyes narrowed, thinking.

(Scene goes back to Jane and Darren, this time in front of the Lane home)

Jane couldn't believe her mud-covered ears. Darren's parents being killed (he didn't say how), and then of his learning of being adopted, and the kicker--being illegally adopted because of some sicko's gambling obsession, and being taken away from the Morgendorffers while just a baby, being substituted for a dead one. It sounded like a nightmare, except it was all too real for Darren. Jane thought that no one had had it harder than she did growing up, because her parents and siblings were all over the place, save for home. Only Trent was there for her--but at least she knew about what her family was all about. Darren never knew about his birth family until his adopted parents were killed. Hell of a way to find out. Damn--listen to this guy, and you can only feel sorry for him. Still, he seems like a genuinely nice fellow, so his adopted parents must've done a good job raising him. Jane briefly wondered if that was a wash either way? Daria said her always-on-the-go parents met Quinn's needs almost all the time before they met hers, and look how "Miss Everything-Revolves-Around-Me" turned out, as opposed to Daria. What kind of "attention" would've Darren gotten from them? Crap--maybe, just maybe, this guy was better off growing up under his adopted parents, Jane. Maybe--

DARREN: (Waves a hand in front of Jane's face, chuckles:) Uh, "Earth to Jane"--are you there?

JANE: (Snaps out of her deep thought:) Hah? Oh, um--sorry. I was just thinking over what happened to you. How--how could you stand to go through all of that?

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: You think that's all, Jane? Not by a country mile:) Well, learning about the Morgendorffers helped keep me going, Jane--that and my friend and aunt.

JANE: (Smirks, thinks for a moment:) Tell you what--how about we be friends? (Holds out her muddy right hand)

DARREN: (Shakes her hand with his muddy right one as well, smiles:) Actually, kind of I thought we already were, but I suppose we can make it official.

JANE: (Strikes a dramatic false poise:) I hereby declare us to be good friends, dear sir! (Laughs)

DARREN: (Grins:) So be it! (Pauses, laughs, jokes:) You don't think this will get Tom jealous, do you?

Jane slowly stopped laughing, and frowned to herself, deep in thought. Darren caught on to this, and added his own frown, perplexed by Jane's sudden change.

DARREN: (Slowly speaks:) Uh, did I say something wrong?

JANE: (Comes out of her deep-thinking mode:) Huh? Oh, no--I was just--thinking about Tom--yes, um, when you said his name--?

DARREN: (Seemingly satisfied with what Jane's explanation:) Ah, okay--I'm sure you really missed him. (Jane looks away for a moment, in deep thoughts again) (Darren pauses:) I guess I'll see you at the Morgendorffer's after we both clean up, then?

JANE: (Grins:) Wild horses couldn't keep me from going over there, Darren. (Thought v.o.: And I can see how you look, buster.) And then you and Daria can come over here and look at what art I've done while on vacation. Daria said that you saw a little bit of it in the living room when you guys came over our house.

DARREN: Yes, but we didn't stay long because of Trent and Mystik Spiral's "problem"--which of course has apparently been "solved" now. From what I saw, your paintings in the living room displayed a tremendous amount of abstract expressionism--very powerful emotions are being brought out from some of your work. (Pauses:) Were you influenced by artists like Picasso and Goya, by any chance?

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow, inwardly impressed by Darren's knowledge of art:) Yeah--you could say that--plus a little of my own emotions thrown in on the side to put on the canvas for all the world to see. (Pauses, smirks:) You're planning to use your business knowledge to become an art critic, bub?

DARREN: (Laughs:) No, not really--you see, I learned from my er, (adopted) dad and uncle about some art. I have a art class at Eastward also, and I've--dabbled in some painting myself, nothing much, mind you.

JANE: (Smiles:) Hey, art's art, no matter how long or much anyone's done it. Hmm--maybe I can see some of your artwork someday?

DARREN: (Shrugs, smiles back sheepishly:) I guess--someday. (Pauses:) I assume that you plan to go to an art college or university after high school--?

JANE: You betcha--I'm thinking about going to the New York City Art School.

DARREN: (Thinks, looks up:) Yes--that is quite a prestigious art school--about 30 minutes from Eastward College, I believe.

JANE: (Thinks about the close distance for some reason, smirks:) That close, huh?

DARREN: Yes. (Looks off in the direction of the Morgendorffers:) Well, I'd better take off, Jane--see you in an--hour-and-a-half or something---?

JANE: Yeah, sure, okay. (Pauses:) See you then.

DARREN: See you. (Leaves)

Jane watched Darren leave up the misty street, a bit longer than she intended, then walked into her home. Immediately, she saw Trent sprawled out on the couch in the living room, snoring. She looked as if she was about to say something, but she smirked, and shook her head slowly--the boy had earned his rest this time by picking her and her mom up from the airport early this morning--she decided to let him rest. Jane then went up to her room to call about the sinkhole to the authorities--and then to shower and change as quickly as possible to meet the newest member of the Morgendorffer's family.

Several minutes later, and after enduring some hard stares from the neighbors (at which he had been tempted several times to do what Jane had done to get rid of those people), Darren came up to the Morgendorffer's home. He was about to ring the doorbell as usual when he looked down at himself and remembered that he'd better let someone in the house get a towel to wipe off some of the mud so he would be able to walk in without tracking mud on the rug. Darren took off his mud-soaked socks and shoes, and was about to ring the doorbell when he noticed a man and a woman walking up the driveway. He turned to them.

MAN: (In a syrupy nice voice:) Hi, we're the Gupty's, and we've just come from our vacation last night, and heard about--(looks at Darren strangely:) oh--my--Lord--

WOMAN: (With an equally strange look on her face, and an equally syrupy nice voice:) --W-who--what are you, sir? Why do you look like that?

DARREN: (Looks down at himself, and then back up at the Guptys:) Oh, no, I can explain this--you see--(starts to come down the front porch)

MR. GUPTY: (Becomes concerned, grabs his wife's arm:) --N-never mind, fellow! We'll come back later! Come on dear! (Hurries away from Darren with an equally concerned and afraid Mrs. Gupty)

DARREN: No, wait, I--(watches them leave down the street, thought v.o.: These people around here are crazy. I'd better get in the house before someone calls the police, and they arrest me for looking like a dork.) (Goes back up the front porch and rings the doorbell)

All the Morgendorffers were in the living room, fully dressed, with Jake and Daria reading sections of the morning paper, and Helen talking on the phone to Eric about what work Helen would have do when she got back from her vacation for Monday. Quinn was walking by the front door to the kitchen when the doorbell rang, and she went to answer it.

QUINN: I got it! (Opens the door:) Yes? What--(sees a muddy person, becomes horrified, makes a disgusted face:) EWWWWWW! (This makes the rest of the family look up and take notice)

DARREN: (Sighs:) Quinn, it's just me.

QUINN: (Looks at him uneasily:) D-Darren? What happened to you? Ick!

DARREN: Long story, sis--could you get me a towel so I can wipe some of this mud off, please?

QUINN: Huh? Oh, sure--be back in a jif. (Leaves up the stairs to the bathroom, while the others see Darren at the door and come up)

HELEN: (Comes up, worried:) Darren?! Oh my word, son--what happened to you?

JAKE: (Comes up behind Helen, equally worried:) Yeah, Big Guy--what in the heck happened--

DARREN: (Chuckles:) --I think Quinn already asked that question.

DARIA: (Comes from behind both of her parents, smirks:) Yeah, Mom, Dad--we don't want my bro here thinking he's in an echo chamber or something. So, bro--are you trying to make up for all those times that our mom couldn't admonish you for playing in the mud and dirtying up your clothes? (Darren tries to not laugh, as does Jake, who quickly goes silent when Helen looks at him sharply)

HELEN: (Turns her attention back to her son, cocks an eyebrow:) Darren? Explanation?

DARREN: (Looks at Daria:) It involves your friend Jane. (Quinn comes back from upstairs with a towel and gingerly gives it to Darren by her fingertips, making another disgusted face) Thanks, sis. (Starts to wipe himself off)

DARIA: (Raises an eyebrow:) Jane? What does she have to do with you being in the mud? (Smirks:) For some reason, I'm almost afraid to ask.

DARREN: (While still wiping himself off, and removing his socks and shoes, cocks a mock-glare eyebrow at Daria, quick smirk:) To be honest with you all, I'd like to shower and change before I say anything else, please--this mud is beginning to make me itch. Besides, I think Jane herself wants to be here when I do, okay? She'll be over here, soon. (Carefully walks in the house after wiping his feet off, and wraps the now-muddy towel around his shoes and socks, gingerly going up the stairs, then halfway up, stops and turns back:) Oh yes--just before I came in, some people called the "Guptys" came up, took one look at me, then shot out of here, saying they'd come back some other time--go figure. (Continues up the stairs)

HELEN: (Alarmed, slaps her forehead:) The Guptys? Oh, no! What will they think? I called them this morning after they came in from their vacation, and wanted to introduce them to Darren--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Whom, I believe, they've already had the pleasure of just meeting in all of his muddy "guts and glory".

HELEN: I'd better see if I can call them back--excuse me. (Goes into the living room)

JAKE: (Shrugs his shoulders:) Guess we'll catch them later, huh, girls? (Follows Helen)

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes and smacks her mouth in disgust:) God! I hope they don't want me to babysit their kids again! I used to love going over there an' stuff, but for some reason, they've been real monsters most of th' time, an' the parents can't keep anybody anymore! (Daria smirks at this, and follows Quinn into the living room)

(Note to reader: See "Pinch Sitter" for the babysitting thing, of course)

(Scene is now in Jane's room, about thirty minutes later)

Jane had put on her regular ensemble of clothes and was combing her hair when there was a knock on her door.

JANE: (While looking in the mirror:) C'mon in.

Trent came into her room, yawning and stretching.

TRENT: (Comes up behind Jane:) Hey, Janey--I went to use the bathroom, and I saw that your jogging outfit and shoes on the floor were kind of muddy. (Pauses:) Did you fall down in the mud or something?

JANE: (Smirks while still looking in the mirror, catching Trent's reflection in it:) Yeah, you might say that. (Pauses:) You know the old landfill, Trent?

TRENT: Yeah, everybody knows about it--and?

JANE: Well, I was jogging across it as usual to save time in getting home, when the ground suddenly collapsed under me. (Trent cocks an eyebrow) I fell into a damn, deep, mud-filled sinkhole, and I couldn't get out. (Pauses, turns to look at her brother, grows quiet:) Trent, I would've drowned if Darren hadn't risked his life to save mine.

TRENT: (Stunned, walks up to Jane to hug her after she gets out of her chair to allow him to do so:) Darren, Daria's brother, saved you? (Jane nods) Whoa--are you okay, Janey?

JANE: (Smiles while hugging her brother:) Yeah, I was a little shaken, but otherwise, I'm fine--thanks to Darren. (Releases Trent:) I was going over to the Morgendorffers to meet him in the flesh without the muddy covering. (Pauses:) Mom up, yet?

TRENT: Yeah--she left for the seminar while you were in the shower, I guess.

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Hmmph--we come in from vacation, and she goes right off again. Though I knew she'd go to that pottery show when we got back, I didn't know it would be this soon--so what else is new, huh?

TRENT: (Shrugs, his voice gets low:) Yeah. (Ponders:) Hey, I gotta figure out some way to thank Darren for saving you, Janey--

JANE: (Smirks:) --Way ahead of you there, bro--how about if I invite him to come out tonight with Daria and me to the Zen to listen to you guys? You can thank him there, and he can hear your, um--debut song to thank your "Mysterious Benefactor".

TRENT: Good idea, Janey--I'm gonna go down to the Zen with the guys for another final practice--(looks up, raises voice, shakes fist:) and then the return of Mystik Spiral will be back in full force! (Coughs)

JANE: (Shakes her head slowly, smirks, thought v.o.: And may God help us all.) Okay, bro--we'll see you then. (Trent leaves while Jane sits back down at her dresser and keeps combing her hair)

(Scene is back at the Morgendorffer's, about ten minutes later)

Darren had goten out of the shower and had changed into some more sweatclothes, this time a gray shirt and pants. He was on his cell phone in his room talking to Curtis.

DARREN: (In a no-nonsense tone:) --Curtis, I won't argue the point on why I still can't tell the Morgendorffers who I really am, okay? You've got to trust me on this!

CURTIS: But you haven't told me why you've suddenly changed your mind, bud!

DARREN: (Tries to stay calm:) I-told-you-to-trust-me-- I can't say anything more! Please!

CURTIS: (After a long pause, sounding curt:) Fine. I guess you know what you're doing. It's your life, after all. (Suddenly hangs up)

DARREN: Curtis, wait! I--(stares forward, narrows eyes:) damn! (Thought v.o.: Wonderful--fantastic--that's just great. Risk losing my best friend over something like this--better find something soon, Woo.) (Clicks off, then clicks on cell phone again, punches some numbers)

(Scene changes to the Appleton estate)

Elenor had just finished cleaning the study from the party William had hosted there last night, and she had hated to be around his so-called "associates" with their constant lewd behavior and drunkeness. She secretly wished that she could hear something from Master Darren or Mistress Millie, for she missed them not being around--for that matter, all of the staff missed them. The mansion just wasn't the same without them--it seemed big and empty.

Elenor suddenly frowned to herself. Now just a minute--wasn't it selfish to think like that? After all Master Darren had gone through, wasn't he entitled to some time off to be with his "birth" family? Of course he was, the same for Mistress Millie and her vacation. Foolish thinking, Elenor--how could you think like that about them--or only about yourself? She quickly lost herself in thought, cleaning the endtables in the family room, when the phone that was on the one she was cleaning rang. She answered it on the first ring.

ELENOR: This is the Appleton estate. Who is speaking?

VOICE: (Sounding coy:) I'll give you one guess, Elenor.

ELENOR: (Eyes light up, sounding estatic:) Master Darren! (Sees Claude walking by in the foyer:) Claude! It's Master Darren calling! (Claude grins, comes over to the phone, leans to hear in it with Elenor) Oh, Master Darren--it seems like it has been so long since you've been here--

DARREN: (Chuckling sound:) --I know, Elenor, Claude--and I'm sorry for not calling sooner. It's just been so hectic since I came here to stay with my birth parents and sisters for a while.

ELENOR: (Gasps, delighted:) So, you have gotten to know them well, Master Darren? That's wonderful!

CLAUDE: (Speaks over Elenor's shoulder into the phone, happy as well:) Indeed it is, sir!

DARREN: (Now heard laughing:) Thank you--I miss all of you as well, you know.

ELENOR: (Hesitates:) Do you--do you know when you'll be back, Master Darren?

DARREN: (After a pause, then speaks:) Just about two weeks before Eastward starts--before registration--maybe a little sooner, Elenor, I really can't say for sure.

ELENOR: (Sounding quiet, looks at Claude:) I see. (Lightens up her tone:) Mistress Millie called yesterday, and said she was having a wonderful time in Europe.

DARREN: Yes, uncle Will told me she did, and for that matter, I'm relieved for her. (After a pause:) So, is--everything okay there, you two? (Tries to sound nonchalant, worrying privately about Woo's warning, doesn't want to alarm Elenor or Claude:) You know, the same, old boring sort of stuff that usually happens around the place?

ELENOR: (Makes a disgusted face, rolls her eyes:) Well, Master Darren, we've had some of those wretched reporters try and ask us where you were, but we've told them nothing--

CLAUDE: (Cuts her off, speaks into the phone over Elenor's shoulder:)--We've even had one try and infiltrate the staff to find out where you were! (Frowns:) The absolute nerve of that fellow to say he was one of the groundskeepers! (Darren is heard laughing on the other end) I am proud to say he did not get too far on the grounds before security escorted him off!

DARREN: Excellent work, you two--(is heard sighing:) still, I know it's only a matter of time before they find out what's going on. Just try to hold the "dogs" off a little longer, okay? (Knocking is heard on the other end, Darren has now lowered his voice:) I think one of my birth family members wants to come in. Take care, you two, tell the rest of the staff that I called, and that I'm okay--and--thanks.

ELENOR & CLAUDE: Goodbye, Master Darren! Godspeed, sir! (Elenor hangs up, smiles along with Claude)

Darren quickly clicked off his cell phone and opened his door. He saw a smiling Helen.

DARREN: Hey--sorry, I was on my phone talking to some friends. What's up?

HELEN: That's all right, son. I just wanted to tell you that Jane is downstairs in the living room with Daria and everyone else, waiting for you.

DARREN: Thanks. (Leaves his room with Helen)

(The scene is downstairs, at the same time)

Jane had come in, and was waiting for Darren, standing in the middle of the living room with Daria. Jake and Quinn were sitting on the right side couch, watching them. Daria noticed that her friend seemed a bit impatient. Daria cocked an eyebrow at her behavior, curious.

DARIA: You really want to meet my bro pretty badly, don't you?

JANE: (Now arches her eyebrow at Daria, smirks:) Why shouldn't I, Daria? He's your "Big Bro", and he sav--(pauses, sighs:) look, you'll find out soon enough.

Darren came down the stairs behind Helen, and saw a thin, but lithe-shaped young woman, a little taller than Daria, who was standing beside her in the center of the living room. She had short, almost shoulder-length black hair that had been styled with one side slightly longer than the other, and was wearing three earrings in each ear. The young woman wore a red jacket that had its sleeves rolled up to her elbows, and it was worn over a black tee-shirt. She wore short, black pants over black stockings, and had on tall, black Doc Marten boots that were even bigger than Daria's. Darren smirked slightly at this young lady, who he knew had to be Jane--no wonder she and Daria became friends--they seemed to have a similar fashion sense that they shared, as well as a similar view of society. He casually, but quickly allowed a thought to come into his mind as she turned to him--Jane was attractive. Tom was a lucky guy. Darren grinned as he approached Jane, extending his hand.

Jane turned to see the "newest" member of her best friend's family, and needless to say, was stunned. Her eyes bulged wide-open, and her mouth was agape. This guy was--gorgeous. His reddish-brown hair was thick and wavy. His eyes were a deep blue, and he was quite the athletic specimen, judging by his looks. He wore a gray sweatsuit that covered his body, but it still couldn't quite hide Darren's physique--not that she was complaining. He was not completely as athletic-looking as say, Jesse, but taller, and definitely more built than--than, yeah--Tom. Darren came up to Jane with a sincere grin that could've melted the heart of just about any female, with those perfect-looking straight white teeth he was showing. She quickly snapped out her trance when Darren spoke, reached out and shook his hand.

DARREN: (Looks down at her:) Hey Jane, sans the mud, right? (Jane nods, smirking) How are you doing?

JANE: (Looks up at him, now smiles:) I'm--okay, Darren. (Pauses:) Uh--I've called the police, and they've sealed off the landfill area.

HELEN: (Cocks her eyebrow, curious:) The landfill? (Narrows her eyes, puts her hands on her hips:) All right, you two--we've been patient up to now, so tell us what happened.

Then and there, Darren and Jane explained about the sinkhole incident.

JANE: --And if it wasn't for Darren, (looks quietly over at him:) I wouldn't be here now. (Darren looks uncomfortable a bit with everyone staring at him in admiration)

HELEN: (Becomes proud of her son, looks as if she's about to cry:) Oh, Darren! (Hugs him:) That was so brave of you to do that for Jane!

JAKE: (Even more proud, jumps up and hugs his son in a python-type of grip:) Damn straight it was, son! You've done us proud! My boy!

DARREN: (Struggles to breathe:) Thanks--a--lot--now--can--you--let--me--go,--please? (Jake releases him while grinning, a Darren takes a big breath inward)

QUINN: (Delighted, jumps up to hug her brother:) Oh, wow! Wait'll the Fashion Club hears about this--

DARIA: (Smirks while hiding her relief that her friend is all right:) --I'm sure they'll want to hear how your "cousin" saved Jane's life, sis. (Jane smirks, while Helen and Jake look at each other in confusion, and Darren glances at Quinn with an unreadable look, then a curious Helen and Jake look at a now-nervous Quinn)

QUINN: (Quickly plays it off, glares at Daria:) Ha, Daria--very funny joke there! (Looks at her watch:) Well, I gotta meet the Fashion Club at Sandi's house, you guys! (Kisses Darren on the cheek:) Good work, bro! See you all later--glad to see you're okay, Jane! (Quickly leaves out of the front door, slams it after her before Helen can say anything)

DARIA: (Looks in Quinn's direction, in her deadpan tone:) And so goes our resident little "getter-outta-troubler". (Everyone looks at Daria strangely) Hey, I think I'm entitled to make up a word every once in awhile--Quinn does it all the time.

HELEN: (Looks at Daria, exasperated:) Daria-- (Picks up her cell phone:) I'd better see if Eric needs anything else for me to do Monday--you know, looking out for any new cases that might've cropped up while I was out--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Yeah, I heard that the ambulance drivers need a new chaser, Mom--we wouldn't want to disappoint them now, would we? (Darren struggles not to laugh while Jane smirks)

HELEN: (Gives a "You're really pushing it, young lady" glare:) Daria--

DARIA: (Gets the message:)--We're gone to Jane's. C'mon, guys. (Leaves with Jane and Darren)

The three just got out of the house when Daria held out her arms, stopping them both. Darren and Jane looked at each other, confused.

DARREN: Sis, is something wrong?

DARIA: (Looks around quickly, then gives Darren a slight smile:) Nah--I just wanted to thank you for saving Jane's life--and I didn't want to do it in front of our parents--personal reputation and all, you know.

JANE: (Smirks:) In other words, you can't let them see that the "Great Stoneface" that is one Daria Morgendorffer is beginning to really appreciate having a brother, because if your parents do, they'll try and tear down those super-duper high walls that you've created for yourself around them? (Darren smiles at this)

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks at Jane:) Welcome back, "Partner In Crime"--now, when are you going to leave again? Oh, I know--by the seat of your pants from the front of my boot buried in your ass. (Darren grins at the verbal exchange between the two)

DARREN: (Looks at Daria softly:) You're welcome, sis. (Pauses, looks at both girls, motions in the direction of the Lane's home:) Shall we proceed to Jane's? (Jane gets a wicked smirk on her face)

JANE: (Suddenly hooks her arm with a surprised Darren's, something that causes Daria to do a double-take when she notices it) Let's go, good sir--our destiny awaits! (Leaves with him, while Daria follows them with a quick, slightly perplexed expression)

(Scene changes to the Appleton Industries West coast branch legal office, the same time)

Woo came into the large, carpeted glass and concrete reception area and greeted the female receptionist, who put a moving box down on her desk.

WOO: (Smiles:) Hello, I'm Gerald Woo. I believe Mr. Potter is expecting me.

RECEPTIONIST: Yes, Mr. Woo, he is. One moment, please. (Clicks on her desk speaker:) Mr. Potter, Mr. Woo is here to see you.

POTTER: (On speaker:) Very good--send him in.

RECEPTIONIST: Go on in, Mr. Woo--just be careful of the boxes in Mr. Potter's office--he's still moving in. (Points down the hall:) Go through that double-door about three doors down on the left.

WOO: Thank you, I will. (Goes down the hall)

Woo walked into the office and immediately saw what the receptionist was talking about. There were moving boxes, some opened, some unopened, of all sizes strewn about all over the floor and on Potter's desk and the chairs sitting in front of his desk. Packing paper was protruding out of some of the opened boxes. In the middle of the office, Leonard Potter was on his knees, taking out some law books. He saw Woo, and got up. Leonard came over to Woo, smiled, and shook his hand.

LEONARD: Hello, Mr. Woo--(makes a sweeping motion around his office:) sorry about the mess in here. I just came in yesterday, and decided to come in on the weekend to try and get as much unpacking done as possible, and my secretary volunteered to help me out. You've done some work for Appleton before, haven't you?

WOO: Thank you for meeting me this early, Mr. Potter, It's just Woo, and I did do some investigative work for your company concerning some company securities fraud, I believe. William Appleton hired me.

LEONARD: (Ponders:) Yes, I remember--and please call me Leonard. (Pauses:) So, why are you here?

WOO: (Pulls out a pen and pad, starts to write:) Actually, Leonard, I'm working on a case that I'd prefer to keep confidential for now--the same as to who hired me. At the moment, I want to ask why did Mr. Appleton send you out here?

LEONARD: (Thinks about what Woo has said, then decides to answer:) The official story is that I "volunteered" to come out here--(frowns:) bull. (Countinues to unpack his law books while talking:) You see, William Appleton didn't appreciate me having the audacity to actually do my job. He felt that I was "hindering" his decision-making efforts concerning the company legally, so he decided to ship me out here in no-man's land, where there's less legal work to do. (Pauses, looks at Woo:) Uh, no offense about the "no-man's land" term--with your living out here, and all.

WOO: (Smirks, keeps writing:) No problem, Leonard--sometimes I feel like I actually am in a "no-man's land" here, what, with all the smog, fires, mudslides, and earthquakes. So, William Appleton sent you out here because you were getting in his "way"?

LEONARD: (Shrugs while taking out more books:) That about sums it up.

WOO: (Stops writing for a moment:) I heard that you two didn't get along well, and there were some rumors that Arthur Appleton Sr. had to sometimes keep both of you from a physical confrontation. Is that true?

LEONARD: (Chuckles:) We had only one such incident, Woo--though there were times that I did want to "clean" William's "clock", sort to speak. You see, as much as I hate to admit it, William Appleton is a brilliant businessman--the problem with him is that he thinks he should be in charge of everything, making all the decisions, having everybody cater to his whims. He always was like that, but on a much smaller scale--(pauses, frowns in perplexity for a moment:) until about a little over a year ago.

WOO: (Narrows his eyes:) Why more than a year ago, Leonard?

LEONARD: It was after the annual stockholder's meeting last year in the Florida Keys. (Woo cocks an eyebrow, remembers his conversation with Darren about the same event when they first talked to each other) William seemed--I don't know--changed for some reason. He became more agressive, more of a bully--like he had some sort of a chip on his shoulder, and that everybody had damn well better get used to it. It was like he knew something that no one else knew, not even Arthur Sr. knew what was wrong with him. Once, I heard after a meeting that Arthur Sr. asked William what was going on with his "attitude". William simply looked at him with something of a sneer and said, "As if you didn't know", and just left it at that. Arthur couldn't for the life of him figure out what was going on, and said nothing more. William eventually kind of leveled off, enough to keep Arthur Sr. from asking anymore questions, but not back to what he used to be before the shareholder's meeting.

Woo thought about this for a moment, wrote in his pad, then continued.

WOO: I see. I'm surprised that you didn't go to the Board of Directors and protest William Appleton's decision.

LEONARD: (Snorts:) Oh, William knew what he was doing with this situation--if I protested, he'd simply say that I refused to go along with the transferal--and that he had no choice but to fire me. He'd be in the "right", I in the "wrong", and the Board could see nothing done except me not wanting to do my job.

WOO: Why not quit?

LEONARD: (Cocks an eyebrow at Woo, as if you say, "Are you kidding me?":) And give him the satisfaction that he had beaten me? No way in hell was I going to allow him to do that! (Starts to take out more books:) I'm going to bide my time. I think eventually, William's going to fall anyway.

WOO: (Raised eyebrows:) Fall? Why?

LEONARD: He's become too paranoid for his own good, Woo--being on top has made him just about jump at everyone and everything. He's convinced Constance Waters is out to get his job--(shrugs:) not that I can blame him in a way. She's quite good in her job. (Pauses, narrows his eyes:) I just hope he does go after her.

WOO: (Startled:) You do? Why?

LEONARD: To the Board, she's become the darling of the divisional chiefs, thanks to a recent coup over getting a share of a foriegn company. I wonder would would happen if William tries to do something like move her to some other area--you know, like he did me. In Constance's case, however, she poses more of a direct threat to him. The Board could take note and move against William.

WOO: (Frowns, thinks:) Hmm--what do you think of the man who replaced you on the East coast legal branch, Sam Norwood? I read about it in the Los Angeles Times business section last night.

LEONARD: (Rolls his eyes:) Please. All personal bias aside, it's a well-known fact that Norwood worked for organized crime once by representing several crime lords during their trials. I wouldn't be surprised if William didn't pay a so-called "prestigious" law firm money to take Norwood and make him "legit"--either that, or blackmailed them in some way. From what I heard, the Board looked into it, and nothing illegal was found. (Snorts:) William covered his tracks well.

WOO: (Still writes:) Okay, one more question--in addition to being the executor of the reading of the business will, did you write it up as well?

LEONARD: Yes, I did. Arthur and Lucille worked with me--I was also their personal lawyer, and in case your wondering, no one else knew what was in that will except them and me.

WOO: (Finishes up his writing, takes pad, flips it closed, and puts it and his pen back in his pocket:) Thank you, Leonard--I may be in touch with you again. (Shakes Leonard's hand)

LEONARD: My pleasure--(pauses:) do you mind if I ask you a question?

WOO: (Gives a quick shrug:) You may do so.

LEONARD: I understand your position of confidentiality concerning your case and client, since I am a lawyer. Based on your questions concerning William Appleton, however, may I assume that you think he's done something wrong, or at least that you suspect he's done something wrong?

WOO: (Ponders for a moment:) To be honest with you, Leonard, I'm not quite sure if Mr. Appleton's done anything wrong--(then adds as an afterthought:) at least not yet. I can say, however, that he is on my list, and that the information that you just supplied me with will help me decide where to go from here--on some things.

LEONARD: (After a moment, nods head:) All right. (Pauses:) I suppose that'll do--for now. Call me anytime at work, Woo--with the so-called "workload" that is here right now, I think I'll have plenty of time to twiddle my thumbs. (Escorts Woo to the door)

WOO: I will, Leonard--and thank you again for your cooperation. (Opens door:) Goodbye.

LEONARD: Goodbye, Woo. (Watches him go down the hall, then goes back into his office)

At that moment, a sinister-looking tall, red-haired thin man, wearing small dark glasses, and with a small, red goatee in a black Armani suit came from around the corner on the opposite end of the hall from the receptionist. He watched Woo leave, looked slowly at Leonard Potter's office, then quietly slipped back around the corner.

(Scene is back at the Lane's home in Lawndale, Jane's room)

Jane was showing Daria and Darren her art done from Jane's trip with her mother, as well as some of her current art. While Daria and Darren were looking at the work--Native American pottery, and Native American portraits in the abstract, Jane was finishing unpacking her clothes from her vacation. Darren was clearly impressed, mostly with Jane's paintings.

DARREN: (Sounding excited, looking at one of Jane's paintings:) Jane, this is terrific! Your emotions on this painting really come out at me! (Pauses, raises an eyebrow, looks at Jane:) I'm assuming you have some of your art on display somewhere--?

JANE: (Feels pleased that her work is being appreciated:) Thanks for the compliment Darren, and yep--at least some. A couple of pieces are in the county art museum. There are also several art shops around the area that I have paintings in, and have sold some as well.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Jane's pretty well known around here--art-wise, that is. Soon, I expect some of her work will be so well-known, it'll be stolen. (Darren laughs, while Jane smirks)

JANE: (Snorts, rolls her eyes playfully:) I wish. Right now, any potential thief would probably just pick it up, look at it, turn it upside down, and put it back. I'll never make the news if that happens.

Darren looked around, and saw Jane's abstract painting of Tom laying in a corner of her room. He went over to it, looked at Jane to get her approval to pick it up, which she gave by a quick nod and smirk, gingerly picked it up by its sides, and looked at it. Daria was about to say who it was, but Jane motioned to her to say nothing by giving a somewhat-surprised Daria a sharp look. Darren was too engrossed into the painting to notice the exchange. After about a minute of silence, he put it carefully back down, and looked at Jane curiously.

DARREN: (Motions his head at the painting:) That's Tom, isn't it?

JANE: (Smiles at Darren, grows quiet:) Yeah, it is. How'd you know?

DARREN: Well, based on the care you put in the detail of your brushstrokes, and the facial features that, while not evident at first, slowly come out of the painting, and form a rather handsome face. (Jane gets a smug look of approval on her face) It's quite clear, Jane, you put a lot of work in this painting. (Looks back at the painting:) I'm sure Tom really appreciated it, am I right?

JANE: (Now frowns, while Darren is looking at the painting:) Well, to tell you the truth--

DARIA: (Cuts her off:) --It, um, took Tom a little while to see what Jane had done, but once he did, he understood what it was. (Jane looks at Daria, a little miffed)

Darren caught on to Daria's cutting off Jane and the subsequent baffled looks both were giving to one another, but said nothing more. Whatever it was, probably about Tom, he decided that it was none of his concern--God knows he had enough things on his mind already. Perhaps the two needed to talk--time to use an excuse. After an awkward silence for a moment, Darren spoke.

DARREN: Ah--I need to use your bathroom, Jane. Where--?

JANE: (Cocks her head at her door:) Second door on the left in the hallway.

DARREN: Thank you. (Leaves the room. Daria quietly follows Darren to the door, watches him go into the bathroom, shuts the bedroom door)

JANE: (Looks suspiciously at Daria:) Why'd you cut me off like that?

DARIA: (Gives Jane the same look:) I could ask you the same thing.

JANE: (Shrugs:) Hey, I wanted to know if your bro had a good eye for art--you know, if he could tell whether or not if that was Tom, and he did--(frowns:) unlike Tom--(cocks an eyebrow:) you--?

DARIA: (Frowns:) I didn't want Darren to get drawn into your troubles with Tom like I felt I've been, that's all. (Pauses, goes into a serious tone:) Look, Jane--Darren's really been through a lot of hell lately, and I just thought that he needed a break from getting into the middle of something else.

JANE: (Who now frowns herself, starts to raise her voice:) Look, I--(sighs, lowers her tone:) Daria, I wasn't trying to get Darren into anything, okay? I know he's been through everything under the sun because of the deaths of his adopted parents, whatever happened to them, and the adoption story he told me about--I know I don't want to add any additional grief to what he's gone through, so give me a little credit, okay? It's just that he's gonna know something's up when Tom comes in, and that we're not getting along. I figured that he might as well know about it now, and not later.

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes:) You talk as if you don't expect to get back with Tom at all.

JANE: (Snorts:) Hey, I'm just being realistic, okay? Remember, Tom left town on his vacation with his friends knowing when I was supposed to come in, and then had the sheer gall to leave the message on his damn now-fixed answering machine, and this after he had begged to ask me to give him another chance!

DARIA: Yes, and you said you'd give him a chance to explain himself. (Pauses:) I'd damn well would like to hear his explanation, too, if you must know--I'm just asking you to not say anything to Darren until after you talk to Tom, okay?

JANE: (After staring at Daria for a second:) Sure, okay--but don't expect me to pretend that everything's "hunky-dory" with Tom if Darren asks me about him--deal?

DARIA: (Stares at Jane, sighs:) I suppose that'll have to do--deal.

There was a knock on the door. Daria opened it, and Darren came in. He could feel a slight tension in the air between the two. Darren paused for a moment, looked at the two, then decided to cut through the tension.

DARREN: (Starts to smile:) Say, I'm hungry. (Looks at his watch:) It's about noontime--anybody want some pizza?

JANE: (Smirks at Darren:) Daria, your bro's a man after my own heart.

DARIA: (Smirks as well:) Tell me about it. Are you treating, bro?

DARREN: (Smiles:) Of course.

JANE: (Realizes something, snaps her fingers, looks between Daria and Darren:) Oh, yeah! I meant to ask that if Darren has nothing to do tonight, that maybe he could come with you Daria, to the Zen to listen to Mystik Spiral play together for the first time since they had lost their instruments and the original Tank. Trent, who's there now practicing with the guys, wants to thank you for saving me, and he wants you to listen with everybody else the song he and Jesse have been working on, thanking Mystik Spiral's "Mysterious Benefactor". (Walks up slowly to Darren, looks up at him intently, smiles--something that causes Daria to raise her eyebrow ever-so-slightly:) Say that you'll come--?

DARREN: (Ponders, looks down at Jane:) Weeell--I was going to read a book and have a quiet evening at home--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Definitely a man after my own heart--no damn doubts about it now--

DARREN: (Looks at Daria:) --but since Daria's going, I guess I can go, too.

JANE: (Swings her fist, triumphant, gets into her "Delores" tone:) Supoirb, kid--see ya at 7:00 tonight?

DARREN: (Laughs:) 7:00 tonight, it is. (Pauses:) Now, as for that pizza--?

JANE: You guys wanna go to the Pizza King, or call in?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Call in this time--let them "come to us".

JANE: (Gets her cell phone:) Okay. (Starts to call:) What do you guys want on your pizzas?

DARIA: You know, and Darren does as well, that I like pepperoni, cheese, and sausage pizza--

JANE: (Smirks:) --With a scoop of ice cream covered with chocolate sauce on top?

DARIA: You're confusing me with that scruffy-haired, thin kid that has a Great Dane as a pet, and rides in a goofy-looking van with his friends--

(Note to reader: This is a sly homage to one Crazy Nutso's downright funny fic, "Daria, Where Are You?")

JANE: --Trent and Mystik Spiral? (Darren is amused by this exchange)

DARIA: (Deadpan:) There's no Great Dane dog with Mystik Spiral, Jane--

JANE: --Unless Jesse is on all fours--and believe me when I said I've seen it before. (Begins to talk on the phone:) Yeah, Pizza King--?

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) I don't even want to know. Hey, I'm going to use the bathroom myself--be right back. (Gets ready to leave)

JANE: --Right, with sausage, and--wait a second--(looks at Daria just as she's about to leave the room:) Daria, Darren and I will be downstairs in the living room when you come out, okay?

DARIA: Yeah, okay. (Leaves)

Darren watched Daria leave, and then waited for Jane to finish ordering the pizzas on her phone. Both went downstairs to the Lane's living room, and sat on the sofa. He looked at Jane, hesitating to speak for a for a moment. Jane caught his reluctance, and took the initiative.

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Sooo--you wanna ask me something, Darren? (Thought v.o.: Is he going to ask me about Tom?)

DARREN: Well, yes, I meant to ask this earlier with you on our way back from the landfill--it kind of got lost in all the "excitement"--but does Daria like Trent? She told me when we left here the first time that her crush on him was in remission.

JANE: (Surprised look on her face:) Whoa--she actually told you she had a crush on my bro? (Smirks:) Well, now--I never heard her so much as admit it to me before--I'd only seen it in action with all the blushing and stuff when Daria was around Trent at times, at least in the early days. Yeah, she did--and to a certain degree, still does--(narrows her eyes, looks off:) I think, (frowns:) though I'm still not quite sure anymore. You see, about the same time I met--(pauses:) Tom, Daria and I had a school project to do, and we enlisted Trent's help. Trent said he'd have his part ready, but when the time came, he didn't come through for us. Trent had always, bless his heart, been something of a slacker, but Daria basically looked past my bro's faults. When he didn't do his part to help us, well, Daria kind of drifted away from him for awhile because I think she realized his, um, shortcomings. Add that to the fact that Tom and I (frowns slightly:) liked one another, taking away some of her time usually spent with me, and Daria was generally miserable for a time. I don't think she's ever gotten over Trent completely--(pauses, hesitates:) but I could be wrong--with Daria, one can't be too sure. Only recently has she come out of her funk--that and the fact that Trent finally seems to be taking his musical career really seriously in a positive direction, thanks to the "Mysterious Benefactor"--a new push from my bro that hasn't been lost on Daria. (Shrugs:) Of course, she might just be trying to encourage Trent in his musical career, and nothing more, who knows? (Suddenly gives Darren a sheepish, apologetic look:) Sorry, that's the best I can do.

(Note to reader: Of course, the "school project" thing, Tom, and Trent's "slacking" happened in the episode "Jane's Addition")

DARREN: (Smirks:) Er--thank you for "clearing" that up, Jane. (Jane grins:) Um--so does Trent have any feelings for Daria?

JANE: (Shrugs:) I thought I heard him say to her once that if Daria was a year older, 18, he'd take her out. But when I asked him and Daria, they denied it was real--though to Trent, it seemed to be more of a joke--Daria kind of brushed it off, too. (Note to reader: Trent's statement did happen at the end of the episode "Lane Miserables") Other than that, he seems oblivious to her crush on him. (Gets a scheming look on her face:) Hey, maybe if you helped me--

DARREN: (Cuts her off, shakes his head:) --Uh-uh, no way, Jane--Daria lived her life waaay before I came into it. I want to see her happy, but she's got to make her own decisions, the same for Quinn. If she asks me what I think, I'll give her advice from my relationship with--(stops, realizes he's said too much, looks away for a moment:) er--as her "Big Bro", the only thing I can offer is to be there for her for support.

Jane cocked an eyebrow at Darren for an instant--he had almost let something out about who she assumed to be his girlfriend, but stopped at the last second--she wondered why he did. For some reason, that near-admission made her feel--disappointed. She guessed he was already spoken for. Hey--where'd that thought come from? Jane quickly shook it from her mind as Daria entered the living room from upstairs. Darren gave a sudden, urgent look at Jane, ever-so-slightly shaking his head at her as if to say, "Keep this talk between us, okay"? Jane gave her own slight, quick nod at Darren, confirming her silence on the matter. Daria, not noticing the subtle jestures between the two, sat down between them on the sofa.

DARIA: (Crosses her arms:) Well, while we're waiting for the pizza, why don't we watch some TV?

JANE: (Gets the remote from the coffee table:) Good idea--I think Sick, Sad World has a midday Saturday afternoon special. (Clicks on TV)

As if on cue, the Sick, Sad World eyeball logo came on the TV screen, and the announcer spoke.

TV ANNOUNCER: (While theme music is playing:) Are some of the trees in your yard actually secret alien beings that are in hibernation, and intend to wake up and take over our planet some day? A Sick, Sad World exclusive, next!

DARREN: (Laughs at the screen, smiles at Jane:) So you like that funny show too, eh?

JANE: (Smirks at Darren:) Umm-hmm. (Pauses:) So, um--have you seen Sick, Sad World a lot, Darren?

DARREN: (Gives a quick shrug:) Some, though not much, although if I'm watching TV, and I run across it while channel-surfing, I'll stay with it--like I told Daria, I've seen it a few times.

DARIA: (Deadpan, lies back, puts her feet on the coffee table in front of the couch:) Nothing like pizza and Sick, Sad World to pass the day away--other than reading a book and writing, that is. (Smirks:) The rest of the whole damn world can do whatever the hell it wants.

JANE: (Does the same thing as Daria:) Amen to that, sister. (Darren shakes his head slowly as he looks at them and chuckles to himself)

DARREN: I suppose everybody has their "priorities". (Sits back on the sofa and watches the TV, but unlike Daria and Jane, doesn't put his legs on the coffee table)

(Scene changes to the Griffin home, at the same time)

Quinn sat in the living room on a couch with Stacy, while Sandi and Tiffany were standing. Sandi was pointing out the clothes Tiffany was wearing--a white, short-sleeved cotton blouse, with a white "skort".

SANDI: (While making a sweeping jesture at Tiffany:) --And that is, like the way to wear a summer blouse, according to Waif in their summer edition.

QUINN: (In her "follow-the-Sandi" mode:) Oh, most definitely, Sandi.

TIFFANY: ("Yes-woman" mode:) You're...so...right...Sandi.

STACY: (Nods in her "follow-the-Sandi-or-else" agreement:) Loose is the way to go, Sandi! Our skin can breathe and everything, and we don't sweat!

THE ENTIRE FASHION CLUB: (All frown, shake their heads in mild disgust while closing their eyes:) Sweat--EWWWW!

SANDI: (Gives a curt nod to Tiffany, who sits down beside Stacy:) Very well--Stacy, mark everyone as agreeing to wearing our summer blouses loosely, but not too loosely as to look unfashionable! (Stacy writes in her secretary's book)

Sam and Chris suddenly entered the living room, chasing one another. As soon as they saw Quinn, they stopped and ran up to her, ready to do her bidding.

SAM: (Eager:) Do you need anything, Quinn?

CHRIS: (Eager:) Maybe something to drink?

QUINN: (Looks up, thinks:) Weeell--

SANDI: (Cuts her off, irritated with her brothers:) --Get out of here, you little monsters, before I call motherrr!

CHRIS: (Licks his tounge out at Sandi:) NYYAAH! (Sandi swings at him, and he ducks, runs while Sandi glares at Sam, who licks his tounge out at her as well, then also runs from her--both go outside, while an angry Sandi stops at the door, watching them go. Quinn secretly smirks at Sandi's annoyance)

SANDI: (Glares back at Quinn, who has quickly wiped the smirk from her face, while coming back into the living room:) Aren't you like, soooo glad that you don't have any brothers now, Quinn? They can be sooo annoying! (Quinn winces at Sandi's statement)

QUINN: (Sounding uneasy, singy-songy voice:) Yeah, Sandi--(weakly:) like who needs a brother?

STACY: (Giggles, blushes slightly:) I bet you'd wish your cousin Darren was your brother, right, Quinn? (Quinn moans inwardly) He's like, so gorgeous--and like you told us, he even saved your cousin's friend's life! (Sighs:) What a hero!

TIFFANY: (In a dreamy tone, looks in space:) Yeeeah...gorgeous...hero.

SANDI: (Tries to not blush herself over thinking about Darren, attempts to seize back control:) Staaacy--Tiffannny! Like, come out of that trance both of you are in, and concentrate on the meeting! (Stacy and Tiffany look at each other foolishly for a moment, then get "serious" looks on their faces--stop that laughing!)

STACY: (Contrite:) Sorry, Sandi.

TIFFANY: (Contrite:) Yeaaah...soorry.

SANDI: (Gives another curt nod:) Good. (Thought v.o.: I'll come over to Quinn's house tonight, and have that hero Darren all to myself! He won't be able to resist me!) (Smirks)

STACY: (Thought v.o.: I'm gonna go over to Quinn's tonight, and talk to that hunk of a hero cousin Quinn has--I wonder if he has a girlfriend?) (Smirks)

TIFFANY: (Thought v.o.: Darren...is...handsome...I'll...meet...him... at...Quinn's...tonight.) (Smirks)

SANDI: (Suddenly glares at Stacy and Tiffany:) Tiiiiffany! Staaaacy! Like, what are you two thinking about?

STACY: (Looks innocent:) Nothing, Sandi!

TIFFANY: (Looks innocent:) Nothing...Sandi!

SANDI: (Looks at both suspiciously for a moment, then gives yet another curt nod:) Good. (Quinn simply looks at all three, and rolls her eyes, more in frustration over not being able to tell them Darren's her brother than disgust)

(Scene changes to the Appleton Tower--William Appleton's office)

Benny was talking on the phone while William Appleton was conferring with Appleton's newest employee, Sam Norwood. Norwood was a short, stocky, balding man with black-grayish curly hair. Both were going over Appleton Industries' legal documents concerning the Chairmanship of the conglomerate. It was obvious that this more than a weekend work day. William was sitting at his desk with Norwood looking over his shoulder.

WILLIAM: (Scowls while looking down at the documents:) --Then what in the hell did I hire you for, Sam? Why did I blackmail that firm to take you and "legitimize" you if you can't see any legal way for me to take over Appleton free and clear?

NORWOOD: (Sweats, and feeling intimidated:) I know you don't want Darren Appleton looking over your shoulder--

WILLIAM: (Now glares back and up at Norwood, cuts him off:) --Like what you're doing--

NORWOOD: (Nervous chuckle, goes around to the front of the desk:) --but at the moment, this document Potter drew up has no legal loophole in it. The only way that you can get it all without Darren Appleton as the future Chairman is that he gives it to you willingly or if something happens to him, and the Board puts your nomination up for a vote to the shareholders to replace him. I can keep looking--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off again, rolls his eyes:) --If not for that damn Constance, I'd be seriously tempted to have Darren killed by now. I can't be too sure, but she might have enough votes from the Board to oust me, or at least give me a hard time with some strong support among the Board and some prominent shareholders.

NORWOOD: (Evil smirk:) Why not take "care" of Constance, Boss?

WILLIAM: (Looks off in space, narrows his eyes:) Too soon after my "nephew's" "parent's" deaths. (Looks at Norwood pointedly:) You don't worry about that, Sam--just about how I can find a way for Darren to willingly give me the conglomerate. (Grabs up documents, shuts folder, shoves it in Norwood's stomach) Now, get out.

NORWOOD: (Winces, bends over forward from William's sudden move:) S-sure, Boss. (Quickly leaves the office)

WILLIAM: (Glares after Norwood, mumbles under his breath:) Idiot. (Scowls, turns to a troubled-looking Benny, who's just gotten off the phone:) And what-in-the-hell is your problem, Benny?

BENNY: That was the man you sent to spy after Leonard Potter, Boss--he said he saw Gerald Woo come out of Potter's office.

WILLIAM: (His eyes grow wide, gets up from behind his desk, growls:) WHAT?! (Benny cringes) Woo--was--WHERE?!

BENNY: (Now cowers a bit:) H-he was in Leonard Potter's office, Boss! That's all he could tell me!

WILLIAM: (Through clenched teeth, turns from Benny, paces around in the office, worried:) Why would Potter need Woo, Benny? To get something on me?

BENNY: (Watches William intently:) Maybe he needs Woo to investigate something out there, Boss, you know, like those recent company reports about an employee stealing some our company secrets from our West coast branch and selling them to our competitors?

WILLIAM: (Waves Benny off, sounding impatient:) Yes, yes, I know all about those reports, Benny--and I know Woo is one of the very best when it comes to getting to the bottom of these things, like hiring him over the company's security fraud case, finding Darren's birth family, and the like--I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here. (Stops in his tracks, pauses, realizes something, turns slowly to Benny:) Oh--hell--could it be that?

BENNY: (Perplexed:) Uh, Boss--do you know something I don't?

WILLIAM: (Looks at Benny with contempt:) Benny, I know everything you don't. It just occurred to me--(narrows his eyes at Benny:) what if Darren suspects something about me on the crash? I wondered why he simply decided to leave me alone so suddenly the last time he called. (Gives a questioning look at Benny:) Perhaps he knows something, or is trying to know something by retaining Woo? (Pauses:) It's too much of a coincidence that Woo would go to see Potter so soon after Darren had hired Woo to find Darren's birth parents.

BENNY: (Grins wickedly:) Do you want me to send a man to this "Lawndale" and "take care" of your "nephew"? You said that if Darren "interfered" with your running the company again, you'd get rid of him.

WILLIAM: (Now gives Benny a pathetic look, as if to say, "You really are stupid, aren't you?", sighs:) Benny, you imbecilic twit, if Darren did hire Woo to find something on me, don't you think Woo would put me at the top of his list if something happened to Darren so soon after Woo talked to Potter? Besides, we really don't know if my "nephew" knows anything--like you said, this could be about something else. I don't want to play my hand too soon.

BENNY: (Blinks, looks down foolishly, then back up at William:) Well, how about if you send a man to spy on Woo?

WILLIAM: (Gives Benny a "The numbskull might have a good idea" look:) Yes--you could have something there, Benny--call the man who was spying on Potter to watch Woo--and see if there's any way we can get some surveillance equipment to monitor Woo's phone calls, or to at least bug his office. (Pauses, narrows his eyes at Benny again:) Have another man on standby for my "nephew"--just in case he is involved in this, and tries to pin his "parent's" deaths on me. I want to be ready to eliminate him, too--possibly Woo as well. (Sits down at his desk)

BENNY: Right, Boss. (Starts to leave)

WILLIAM: (Looks up, eyebrow cocked:) Oh, and Benny--?

BENNY: (Stops at the door just before he opens it:) Yeah, Boss?

WILLIAM: Another thought has just occurred to me--do you know where Sanchez is? You said that he wanted to get the second part of his payment, and I'm assuming he left an address for us to contact him after the NTSB has finished their investigation?

BENNY: (Hesitates:) Uh, actually, Boss--he said he'd get touch with us, not the other way around, and no, he didn't leave any address.

WILLIAM: (Having spun his chair to face the window, thinks while looking out over the city:) Well, find him--I want to make sure to keep an eye on him as well. If he tries to double-cross us, I want him silenced immediately. Got it?

BENNY: (Gives a curt nod:) Right, Boss. (Leaves the office)

(Scene is back in Lawndale, at the Morgendorffers, a few hours later)

Daria and Darren had been back from Jane's for awhile now, and were preparing to get ready to go to the Zen, and it was agreed upon by all parties that Jane would ride with them there. Helen, Jake, and Quinn were sitting at the kitchen table finishing eating the usual lasagna dinner, when Daria and Darren walked into the kitchen. Daria was wearing her usual attire, while Darren wore a modest black short-sleeved shirt and faded blue jeans with Rockport shoes. He put on a faded blue-jean jacket to complete his ensemble.

HELEN: (Notices both:) Are you two sure you won't eat anything before going?

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: Any more lasagna, and I'll turn into one.:) Er, no thanks.

DARIA: Yeah, Mom--we're gonna pick up a burger after we leave the Zen, or get something while we're there.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Gee, bro--I wouldn't be caught dead at that loser grunge nightclub--

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) --No, just alive at any other nightclub in Lawndale, at any other time, at any other place. Just ask anyone--"Ms. Illegal I.D.". (Helen and Jake gasp, shocked, and glare at a now-shocked Quinn, while Darren looks up quietly, mouths to himself, "Ooboy".)

HELEN: (Frowns:) Quinn, is that true?

JAKE: (Also frowns, in "back-up" mode:) Yeah, is that true?

QUINN: (Glares a second at Daria, then pleads to her parents:) Muh--oom! I just had to--

At that moment, the doorbell suddenly rang, and Quinn seized the moment by jumping up to answer it. Everyone followed her out of the kitchen to the living room.

DARIA: (To Darren while walking:) Saved by the bell. (Darren quietly chuckles)

A relieved Quinn gratefully opened the door and found Sandi standing there. Sandi simply brushed past Quinn and came in.

QUINN: (Stunned, while watching Sandi go by:) Sandi? What are you doing here? I don't remember us agreeing to have another meeting so soon--?

SANDI: (Smirks:) Actually Quinn, I can here to see Darren, your--(Quinn grows wide-eyed and pale, because the jig's about up. Sandi's about to find out in front of Quinn's parents that Darren's her brother, which would mean Daria is her sister, and that would mean "Goodbye, Fashion Club")

Before Sandi could finish her sentence, Stacy came up, followed a moment later by Tiffany--both girls looked at each other, surprised to see the other here at the same time, as well as Sandi. Sandi glared at both as they came up through the Morgendorffer's front door, and into the living room. Daria rolled her eyes in frustration.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: My "cousin" leads an utterly damned charmed life.)

SANDI: (Really frowns:) Staaacy--Tiiiffany--like, what are you two doooing here? We like, already had our meeting today!

STACY: (Looks nervously at Sandi:) Well, I--uh--wanted to talk to Quinn to--uh--go over something in the meeting that I forgot to ask her!

TIFFANY: (Jumps on the "excuse" bandwagon with Stacy:) Yeeeah...I... wanted...to...talk...to...Quinn...about...something...too.

SANDI: Both of you could have like, called!

QUINN: (Smirks, not wanting an opportunity to show up Sandi go by, jumps in:) Why did you come again, Sandi--to um, ask Darren "something"--? (Stacy and Tiffany look at Sandi expectantly, both showing a bit of a smirk, while Daria and Darren, and Jake and Helen look at each other, then at Sandi)

SANDI: (Glares a little at Quinn, who has the upper hand, if only for a second, gets an idea:) I--um, wanted to ask Darren about your internship, you know, what you told us about, Quinn? I wanted to know if he could get me on at Circa, too? (Quinn rolls her eyes)

DARREN: Well, like I told Quinn, it depends on your grades. Maybe we can get together next week. Right now, I have an engagement to attend to.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Yeah, you fashion gals will have to wait until then to try and get your claws into my bro. (Pulls a red-faced Darren out, while the Fashion Club, with the exception of Quinn, who's actually smirking, glare at Daria:) See ya. (Shuts the door behind her)

QUINN: (Turns to the Fashion Club:) Well, since you guys are here, maybe we can go over the next meeting's fashion ideas!

HELEN: (Steps in, smiles:) Do you girls want something to--

QUINN: (Cuts her off:) --It's okay, Mom--I'll take care of everything. (Pauses:) Don't you gotta get some work to do for Monday, you know, like to prepare for, or something?

HELEN: (Remembers:) Oh my--I suppose I do have some work to do. Excuse me, girls. (Leaves)

JAKE: (Grins like an idiot:) Hey, girls, I can--

QUINN: (Jumps in, alarmed:) --Like, um, isn't the thingamajig game on TV now, or something, Daddy?

JAKE: (Eyes light up:) Gosh, sweetie, you're RIGHT! Excuse me, girls! (Runs into the living room)

Quinn rolled her eyes, and motioned the Fashion Club up to her room. Pouting, Sandi, Tiffany, and Stacy grudgingly followed Quinn upstairs.

In the meantime, Daria and Darren were in Darren's rented car going to Jane's.

DARREN: (Sighs in relief, glances over at Daria:) Thanks for getting me from those girls, sis--I'm kind of glad I didn't stay tonight now--I would've never had any peace with them there.

DARIA: (Smirks, cuts her eyes at Darren:) No problem, bro--Quinn's fellow fashion simpletons can say, drive the most ardent anti-death sentence advocate to jump in an electric chair and pull the switch themselves to end their suffering. (Darren laughs)

The car pulled up in front of the Lane's. Jane came out of the house, and got in the back. She leaned over the back seat, giving her full attention to Darren, a moment not lost on Daria.

JANE: Yo, guys--(smirks at Darren:) ready for a rollicking-rip-roaring time at the Zen, Darren?

DARREN: (Shrugs, looks through the rear-view mirror at Jane:) I guess, Jane--(smirks:) just don't blame me if I dance like a log--I generally don't go out much. I'm more of a homebody, you see. (Daria and Jane look at each other, surprised)

DARIA: You generally don't go out much, bro? I thought, well--

DARREN: (Chuckles, gently cuts his sister off:) --You thought with my "looks", I'd party into the night, sis? (Grins:) And have all the women after me? (Jane smirks)

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) No, bro--I know you had a girlf--(stops, checks herself, looks over at Jane, who narrows her eyes at Daria for a moment, while Darren cuts his eyes at Daria, looking pained for an instant, then forward on the street)--your, um, friend. I thought maybe that you'd be out a little more, that's all. You don't seem to be the sheltered-in type. Turn here, bro.

Upon hearing this, Jane leaned back in the rear seat, laughing so hard, she was holding her stomach.

JANE: (Trying to control her laughter:) T-this coming from you of all people, Daria? You, who I had to practically drag out of your house and comfortable room the first time I mentioned about going to see Trent and Mystik Spiral at the Zen? (Daria glares back at Jane) Don't tell me that Quinn's been able to brainwash you into believing that all good-looking people like your brother need to go out and tear up the town because she does? (Darren glances in the mirror at Jane for a second at the word "good-looking", then back on the street)

DARIA: (Defensive tone, frowns:) That's not what I was saying, Jane. I'm just thinking that Darren would be a little more well-travelled, that's all. (Looks at Darren:) I mean, did you go out, you know, anywhere in your spare time, to relax? (Motions, points:) Turn down this street, Darren.

DARREN: (While turning:) Well, like you two, I did go out to eat at some fast-food outlets, and I also hang out at the gym (thought v.o.: At home that is--:) working out with my friends, and I went to the arcade and such, but with college now, I generally don't have the time to do that. I never thought of myself like a "loverboy"--people who see me for the first time get that impression. I had a few dates, but I never ran around, or anything like that.

JANE: (Thought v.o., smirks: Geez, the boy's a genuine "cookies-and-milk" guy--wait a second: Did Daria say he had a girlfriend--does that mean--[frowns to herself:] damn! I'm thinking that type of thought again! Get rid of it quick, Jane girl--he doesn't want to talk about what happened with her, except with Daria. I wonder if he has the same problems with her like I'm having with Tom) (Shakes her head to get rid of that thought also)

DARIA: (Gives a quiet, quick smile to Darren:) Yeah, I kind of figured that for some reason. (Changes subject, smirks:) So, what's this I hear about you calling our mom and dad "Helen" and "Jake"? I overheard this morning dad lamenting over that little fact while being in your room again. (Darren looks ahead, wide-eyed, surprised, while Jane leans over the seat, curious, eager to hear)

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Now, this is interesting--both subjects, that is, this--"room" and "Helen" and "Jake" thing.

DARREN: (Looks sheepish, shrugs:) So you know about the "Helen" and "Jake" thing, eh? I couldn't very well call my birth parents "Mom" and "Dad" right off the bat when I found them, could I, Daria? When I first met them, I asked them if I could call them by their first names, because it didn't feel right if I called them that, and not to disrespect my late (adopted) parents. I took care not to call them by their first names in front of you and Quinn to set an example--though I don't think, er, Helen and Jake noticed that. (Smiles:) As for the "room" thing, well, Daria can tell you about that later.

DARIA: (Ponders:) I suppose that's understandable about mom and dad what you told told us. (Pauses, smirks:) You didn't want me or Quinn to "demand" that we have the right to call Helen "Helen", and Jake "Jake" because we heard that you did? Don't worry--I call them that all the time--just not around them--unless they get me PO'd. (Darren shakes his head slowly, smiles quietly) Relax, bro--they won't hear it from me. Down the end of this street.

JANE: (Smirks:) Yeah--I don't see what the big deal is, I've called my mom Amanda before, and my dad Vincent--(stops when she sees where they are, gets into an "astronaut's" tone of voice, whatever that sounds like:) "Houston, we have arrived."

Darren's car pulled in front of the Zen, near the shopping district, and they got out. When they walked in, immediately, the sights, smells and sounds of the underground alternative rock nightclub hit Darren full force. The sights and sounds were what he had expected from Daria and Jane's brisk description--young people chatting away, in their late-teens to early twenties, wearing loose, bold, and in some cases, outrageous clothing. Many of them had different colors of hair, such as blue, deep red, green, and pink. Goth, no doubt. Darren looked up and around--the building was obviously an old, converted warehouse. Some rooms on the side were boarded up. No telling what was behind there--one directly in front of him had the walls knocked out, and it had been changed into a food stand, with some hot dogs, tacos, and soda being sold to the long line of hungary teen-agers. The lighting was adequate, though perhaps it could be turned up just a tad. He rolled his eyes at that last thought. Great, Darren--let these people think that you're some sort of fastidious person--that'll fit you in here nicely. You've been in places like this before, just not much--no big deal.

He smelled the air, picking up an aroma of beer in addition to the food, and--wait--marijuana? Umm--best not to inhale it if possible. Daria and Jane were ahead of him, and were making their way up to the front through the crowd where Trent and the other band members of Mystik Spiral had set up their instruments. Darren moved forward through the crowd to catch up to them.

Trent looked up at Jane and Daria as they were coming up, and smiled.

TRENT: Hey, Janey, Daria.

JANE: (Smirks:) Yo, bro.

DARIA: Hey, Trent.

TRENT: (Looks above Daria and Jane:) Hey, where's Darren? Isn't he with you guys?

JANE: (Looks behind her into the crowd, along with Daria:) Yeah--he was behind us. You see him, Daria?

DARIA: Not yet--(notices him, then smirks:) ah, there's the cassanova magnet.

Darren was almost near the front when several women, who had noticed him, promptly surrounded him. The Goth-looking women were looking at him dreamily, and asking him questions. He looked around at each of them, red-faced, smiling uneasily. Here we go again.

GREEN-HAIRED YOUNG WOMAN: (Smiles at him:) I've never seen you around here, dude. You new here, or something?

PINK-HAIRED YOUNG WOMAN: (Smiles at him, speaks before Darren can say anything:) Yeah, you're new here, dude. Do you wanna dance with me?

BLUE-HAIRED YOUNG WOMAN WITH A MOHAWK HAIRCUT: (Grins wickedly:) Hey, c'mon with me. (Darren looks at them all a little panicky)

DARREN: (Searches for words:) Well, ah--I'm with--

Jane suddenly came into the circle, brushing past the now-glaring girls, and hooked her arm with Darren's. She pulled him away from them quickly, smirking.

JANE: Sorry gals, but he's with me. (Leaves with Darren)

PINK-HAIRED WOMAN: (Frowns, looks at the other two girls with her, who are also frowning:) Geez, I thought she was with that Tom guy. How'd you like that? (Rolls her eyes, and walks away with the others)

DARREN: (Turns to Jane, sighs:) Thanks. That's the second time tonight I've been saved from the she-wolves. (Chuckles:) Are we even now following the sinkhole?

JANE: (Smirks:) Nope. Sorry, but I still owe you, buster.

Jane and Darren came up to the front where Trent and the others were waiting for them, and they walked up to Darren to shake his hand. Daria stood on the side with Jane, privately proud of her brother.

TRENT: (Smiles:) Hey, man--you saved my sister's life. I wanna thank you for that, dude. (Shakes his hand)

JESSE: Yeah--you're cool, man. (Shakes Darren's hand as well)

MAX: You the man! (Slaps Darren's hand in a high-five)

NICK: You're the one, son! (Pats him on the back)

DARREN: (A little embarassed:) Thanks, everybody. I'm just glad I was there when it happened.

JANE: (Comes up beside Darren, looks up at him, speaks in a quiet tone:) I know I'm glad you were there when it happened. (Smiles, stares up at him, yet another moment that makes Daria raise her eyebrow, wondering)

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: You know, if I didn't know any better--that's stupid, Morgendorffer--put it out of your mind--she's just grateful to him for saving her life--that's it--nothing else.)

TRENT: (Breaks the moment:) Okay, then--we'd better get started. (Looks at Darren:) Chill, man, and enjoy yourself. (Goes back to the front with the others, who take their positions, while Trent takes the lead, grabs a microphone and shouts to the crowd:) Let's rock, everybody--Mystik Spiral is back and kickin'! (The crowd goes wild)

The music started, and everyone got into the groove. Mystik Spiral went through several of their old songs (yes, including "Icebox Woman"), and were about to wrap up the evening with their newest song. In the meantime, Darren had stayed with Daria and Jane about in the middle of the large wall-to-wall crowd, with Jane acting as a "shield" to Darren whenever any girl came up to him, saying he was with her, ditto for Daria. (This happened a few times with the green-haired woman, especially) Darren, trying to enjoy the songs without the dreamy-looking girls coming up, played into the act by shrugging his shoulders to each one that did, saying he was with Daria and Jane, and privately grateful for his sister's and her best friend's help. Some of the boyfriends of the girls nearby, while at first frowning because of Darren's somewhat remarkable ability to attract their girlfriends, seemed satisfied that he didn't take an interest in their dates. Trent got on the microphone and began to speak over the wildly cheering crowd.

TRENT: Okay, everybody--we've got one more song to sing, our newest tune that will express our gratitude to our "Mysterious Benefactor"! We call it: "Thank You Mysterious"! (The crowd really cheers wildly, now:) Hey, mysterious dude or dudette--if you're in here now, this one's for you! (Darren smiles quietly. He looks over at Daria and Jane, who have genuine small smiles on their faces) Hit it, everybody! (Music begins to play)

Got stuck in the muck
Ran out of luck
Then you showed with $8,000 bucks
We weren't doing too well
Our lives shot to hell
And even our clothes were starting to smell
So thanks whoever you are
If you're near or far
You helped us to get to this here bar!

(Note to reader: Kudos to the one and only Austin Covello for the lyrics)

Darren looked at the group as they finished their song (after several more of the same verses, with some slight differences) with an uneasy grin on his face. Ooooh--yeah. Veeery interesting song there. He glanced at Daria and Jane, and they looked back at him with the same look.

Yet the crowd went ballistic. Darren, Jane, and Daria looked at each other, stunned. They came close together to talk over the wild cheering.

DARREN: (Shouts:) I guess they liked it--?!

DARIA: (Shouts:) These people will listen to dead skin being scratched off from the body! What do you expect?!

JANE: (Ditto, smirks:) Either that, or they'd listen to old paint that's scraped off from the side of a house! (Darren laughs)

DARIA: Seeing all of these people jumping around has made me a little thirsty! You guys want something to drink?!

DARREN: No, it's okay, I'm fine! (Looks back at the front)

JANE: Nah, you go on and get something, pard! (Looks back as well)

Daria made her way to the rear where sodas were being sold, and stood in line for a few minutes. From her point of view, the crowd noise was starting to dissipate, but the crowd itself wasn't. In fact, she noticed something of a commotion from the middle of the room--where she had left Darren and Jane. A little alarmed, she decided to leave the line, and see what was going on. Daria struggled to get past the throng of humanity in front of her.

In the meantime, Darren found himself looking up at the biggest man he had ever seen. The man, staring down at Darren, who himself was no slouch, looked to be almost seven feet tall. He had long, black hair that was tied in a pony-tail, a full, scraggy, black beard on his scowling face, as well as a scar on his right cheek, and had thick eyebrows and a big nose. The man also had large, muscular arms with tatoos over almost every part of both of them. He wore only a black leather vest over his bare, hairy, muscular tatooed-chest and wore black leather pants, with large black boots. Jane, standing beside Darren, narrowed her eyes up at the man and spoke.

JANE: (Sounding angry:) What in the hell are you doing, Rocco?!

ROCCO: (Glares at Darren, cracks his knuckles, snarls:) This "playboy" was after my girl!

DARREN: (Looks at the man with mild disbelief:) What are you talking about? What girl? (Thought v.o.: Only someone who wants to commit suicide would want to go after this guy's girl!)

Trent and the other band members were about to pack up their equipment when they heard the commotion in the middle of the room.

TRENT: (Tries to look in the middle of the crowd:) Damn, what's going on?

JESSE: (In his "clueless", laid-back tone:) Dunno, man--wanna find out?

TRENT: I guess, dude. (Looks at Nick and Max:) You guys keep an eye on our new stuff, okay? (Tries to make his way into the crowd)

NICK: No sweat, man--we'll keep packing it up.

Back in the middle of the room, Rocco's girlfriend, who had been standing by the scene, came out of the crowd, looking none too pleased at him. Darren recognized the girl as the green-haired one who had come up to him when he first came in the Zen, and a few times throughout the songs. She stepped in between Rocco and Darren and Jane.

GREEN-HAIRED YOUNG WOMAN: Crap, Rocco--nothing happened! (Sniffs at him:) Damn it! You've been drinking!

ROCCO: The hell it didn't, Sesame--and I only had two beers! I saw you talking to "Mr. Debonair" here a few times--don't deny it!

SESAME: (Grudgingly admits:) Okay--so I tried to talk to him--no biggie, see? (Glares at Jane, then back at Rocco:) She and her friend kept me from talking to him, so nothing happened, you big ape!

JANE: (Looks at Rocco, frowns:) Yeah, she's right--I was around him the whole evening! So why don't you find a banana tree and make your home there, Rocco? Darren's with me!

ROCCO: (Narrows his eyes at Darren:) You sayin' he's your boyfriend, Lane? (Darren looks stunned when he hears this) (Rocco sneers:) I thought you liked ol' Tom-what's-his-name! (Steps menacingly towards Darren, who at this time was sizing up Rocco, and Darren narrows his eyes, preparing to defend himself)

JANE: (Suddenly steps in between Rocco and Darren, while Sesame backs up on the side, terrified:) That loser? (Rolls her eyes:) Please. Yeah, I'm saying Darren's my boyfriend! (Darren looks at Jane with a look of disbelief on his face) You think I'd allow him to even so much as look at another girl while he's with me?

DARREN: (Leans over to Jane, while not taking his eyes off Rocco:) It's okay, Jane--you don't have to--

ROCCO: (Cuts him off, in a mocking tone:) --Yeah, you don't have to "protect" him, Jane! (Darren frowns at Rocco's mocking voice)

Daria had finally made her way to the edge of the crowd in the middle of the room, (not hearing what had just transpired, mainly that Jane had said that Darren was her boyfriend) and saw Darren, Jane, and the jerkwad Rocco all looking at each other--and smirked. Rocco had been somewhat of a recent bully around the Zen, practically doing anything he wanted, from kissing other guy's girls, to cutting into dances between couples, using his enormous size to his advantage. He even had tried to come on to her once, but she put him down with a typical remark. The police had looked down on places (and people) like this, and rarely would respond to a call from here when trouble broke out--basically the Zen was on its own. Daria suspected that Darren could clean Rocco's "clock"--someone needed to do it--if only Jane would get the hell out of the way. She scanned around the crowd, and became stunned over seeing Tom just coming in the front, and making his way into the crowd to see what was going on. He must've just come back early from his vacation to talk with Jane--about damn time. She looked back to the scene.

JANE: (Frowns, glares up at Rocco:) Who in the hell says that I'm trying to protect Darren? If I wasn't his girlfriend, would I do THIS? (Suddenly turns around, grabs a surprised-Darren's head and KISSES him, full on the lips, and deeply, wraps her arms around his neck, and pulls him close to her)

Time stopped for a moment.

Go to Chapter 11   Chapter 12 ******************************************************************************