1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Chapter 14-Distant Rumblings

(The scene is at the Lane's--about 30 minutes later, Jane's room)

JANE: (Scowls:) You--did--WHAT?!

Darren, who had come directly from taking Helen back to her job after lunch, had now stopped by the Lane's where Daria was visiting Jane, sat in a chair, while Daria was sitting on Jane's bed, who was just as stunned listening to what her brother was saying as Jane was. Jane was standing in the middle of her room.

DARREN: (Gingerly tries to find the right words:) I said--I agreed to take Sandi out on a date this Friday night.

JANE: (Attempts to keep her composure:) And run this by me again as to why you're doing this, Darren?

DARREN: (Sighs:) To keep Quinn in the Fashion Club. She needs to have that experience on her transcript for admission to the Fashion Institute.

JANE: (Nods her head slowly, tries to comprehend like Daria is doing as well:) I see--and all this came about by--?

DARREN: It all started innocently enough--Helen and I were talking at that new restaurant Milligan's during lunchtime after I picked her up from her job, and Sandi and her mother Linda Griffin had walked in. Well, Helen introduced me as her son, something that Mrs. Griffin and Sandi did not know. (Jane looks at him, confused) You remember about what happened at the Pizza King when I first met the Fashion Club with Quinn? (Jane nods, and Daria's smirk grows wicked at remembering the incident) Anyway, Linda and Sandi had been under the impression that I was Quinn's cousin--something that I helped Sandi and her friends to believe, I'm afraid, trying to follow Quinn's wishes, which is why I feel kind of guilty. From the introductions, one thing led to another, and well, Helen now knows about Quinn telling everyone in your school that Daria was her cousin.

JANE: (After a moment:) Uh-huh. What did Helen do about Quinn?

DARREN: On our way back to her job, she was still trying to decide. I asked her to go easy on Quinn (Daria narrows her eyes at her bro, which he sees). Come on, sis. I'm not saying Helen and Jake shouldn't punish Quinn, I'm just saying that the punishment should fit the crime, and not go beyond that.

DARIA: (Arches an eyebrow:) And what kind of punishment are we talking about that should it not go "beyond"--?

DARREN: (Ponders:) Hmmm--how about that Quinn be forced to admit before the whole school that you're her sister--that's a pretty tough punishment right there, facing down your peers. Quinn should either announce it in the auditorium at the start of your school year, or be forced to pay the money you say that she's been saving for making prints of fliers that proclaim you as being her sister to pass around to her fellow classmates. That's what I plan to suggest to Helen and Jake, though they still would probably want to administer their own sort of punishment to her at home, which I'm guessing will be something to do with her dating and fashions.

JANE: (Smirks:) Say, that's a pretty good suggestion for a punishment--(looks at Daria:) it would be worth it to see Quinn admit before the entire student body that you're her sister, Daria--hell, I could take a picture of her shocked look, and paint her angst-ridden face--(adds:) on a canvas, that is--she paints her own face with her mascara, lipstick, and eye-liner as you well know. (Smirks while Darren chuckles)

Daria stared at the two for a moment, then sighed.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) I suppose it would be a good idea--though I would've preferred her to be flogged. I'll back you up on that, bro.

DARREN: (Smiles:) Thanks, sis.

JANE: Okay--was Quinn at your home when Darren came back from taking Helen back to her job, Daria?

DARIA: Nope. She left with Stacy to go to Cashman's about 10 minutes after Big Bro left to see mom, and hasn't been back since--said something about new shoes that "had to be seen to be believed". (Smirks:) I wonder if she'll believe the punishment she's gonna be getting soon. (Pauses:) I wonder if mom will page her while Quinn is out, and tell Quinn to be waiting at home when mom and dad get there from work, or just spring it on her when they get in? It should make for one hell of a reality check for Quinn. Maybe I'll need to buy some snacks when I watch her little world come crashing down on her? (Jane chuckles while Darren shakes his head slowly)

DARREN: (After a moment:) You're really going to enjoy seeing Quinn "get her's", aren't you, Daria? (Jane looks at Darren, inquisitive, along with Daria)

DARIA: Shouldn't I, Darren? Quinn's had a lot of things go her way for as long as I can remember, and now the "Chickens have come home to roost". (Frowns slightly:) You're damn right I'm going to enjoy it. (Jane raises her eyebrows, surprised at Daria's slightly bitter-sounding outburst)

DARREN: (Pauses, then continues:) You know, sis, it seems to me that you should shoulder at least a little of the blame for Quinn's soon-to-be current trouble. (Daria and Jane stare at Darren incredulously)

DARIA: Darren, how can you say that? Do you know what Quinn's done to me, mom and dad, our relatives, and just about everyone else most of my life?

As soon as Daria had finished her words, Jane looked at her and winced, and Daria immediately wished she could take them back. Darren simply stared at her expressionlessly, then spoke in a quiet tone.

DARREN: No, I never had the chance, sis. (Pauses:) Look, what I'm saying is that you allowed Quinn to keep doing the "cousin" thing to you. If you had wanted to, you could have confronted Quinn way back then and told her to knock it off. Remember, you finally drew the line when she tried to manipulate you into passing yourself off as my cousin. (Sighs:) I found myself falling for Quinn's charms like everyone else--partly because I found myself wanting to establish a bond with her so desperately like I did with you and my birth parents. You, on the other hand, had developed a resistance to her because you knew her. Perhaps you felt that it wasn't worth it--to fight her, that it was beneath you, and maybe it wasn't worth it, I have no idea, obviously. All I know is, while Quinn does deserve to be punished, (hesitates:) I wouldn't take any pleasure in seeing her punished like you seem to be. I told you I don't like seeing my sisters at each other's throats, remember?

Daria simply looked at Darren wordlessly. Darren did the same to Daria, and Jane looked between the two, not knowing what to expect next. Daria then responded.

DARIA: Let me get this straight--basically, what you're saying is, I should feel some sympathy for Quinn?

DARREN: (Shrugs:) I wouldn't exactly call it "sympathy", sis. Let's just call it something similar to what Abraham Lincoln said to the nation in his second Inaugural Address following the Civil War concerning forgiving the former Confederate states, and allowing them back into the Union--"The better angels of our nature". (Narrows his eyes:) You're deeper than Quinn is, more mature. Why bring yourself down to Quinn's level?

DARIA: (After a pause, takes in Darren's words, smirks:) Quinn's "level" is about the thickness of a fiberoptic telephone cable, which is pretty thin--

DARREN: (Smirks back:) --And you're about as deep as the Mariana Trench. All I ask is that the "secret" is now out--let it go, sis.

DARIA: (After a moment, looks between Darren and Jane, shrugs:) Okay, I will. (Jane cocks an eyebrow, surprised by Daria giving in so soon) I'll take solice in the fact that the "secret" is out, and leave it at that.

DARREN: (Relieved, smiles:) Thank you again, sis.

JANE: Allllrighty--we're past the "cousin" thing, but we've still gotta deal with this "date" thing. Why in the hell should I give my approval to you to date Sandi Griffin this Friday night, the same Friday night that Trent and the guys are supposed to play at McGrundy's?

DARREN: (Pauses, takes a deep breath:) You said that Mystik Spiral is going to be at McGrundy's for a week. We can catch them any other day. (Gets up out of the chair, walks to Jane:) Jane, I don't want to do this, please believe me. Previously, I was under the impression that Quinn didn't need to be in the Fashion Club to get into the Fashion Institute, but then I delved further into the updated version of the Fashion Institute's website and found out that participation in a fashion club for at least three years in a high school is a mandatory requirement to get into the Fashion Institute. (Pauses:) Jane, if it were anything else, I'd tell Sandi Griffin to take a flying leap--I can't stand the girl. It's obvious she wants to "show me off", like some sort of trophy, similar to what Quinn tried to pull off at the Pizza King when she introduced me to her "friends". All I ask is that you allow me to do so just this once--for Quinn.

Jane looked up at Darren, and sighed audibly, exasperated. She looked over at Daria, who looked at the two, and spoke.

DARIA: Jane--(pauses:) I think we both can safely say that you can trust my bro--

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) --But it's Sandi Griffin that I don't trust. (Hesitates, looks at Darren:) I'm not insecure, like I told you, Darren. It's just that--I--well--

DARREN: (Gives a quiet smile, in an assuring tone:) --Okay--in that case, to soothe your misgivings, Jane, I may have a solution--how about if you two follow us on our so-called "date", out-of-sight? You know, to just watch us in case if she "tries" anything--I'll even pay for your expenses. (Pauses:) How about it? My treat.

Daria and Jane looked at each other, surprised, then back at Darren.

JANE: (Smirks:) Hell, why not? As long as you're paying, Darren.

DARIA: (After a moment, looks at Darren a little uneasily:) Um, bro? Are you sure you'll have enough money to take Sandi out and treat us? I feel kind of like a hypocrite after giving Quinn the third degree over trying to take advantage of you, and I wouldn't want you to go broke trying to spread your little bit of money like that.

DARREN: (Waves Daria off, chuckles:) Nah, it's okay, sis--I can afford it. (Pauses:) To be honest with you, Sandi Griffin makes me feel--(shudders:) uncomfortable. I'd like for you two to be nearby as some sort of "reassurance factor" for me.

JANE: (Raises eyebrows, surprised:) "Reassurance factor"? We make you feel like that?

DARIA: (In deadpan tone:) We're losing our effectiveness, Lane--we used to make people feel uncomfortable--

JANE: (Now in the same tone as Daria:) --Now we're making them feel comfortable, Morgendorffer. This simply cannot be tolerated. (Darren looks between the two and starts to grin, amused)

DARIA: Agreed, Lane--any suggestions?

JANE: (Starts to walk mock-meanacingly towards Darren, smirks:) Leave me with the subject to interrogate him, Morgendorffer.

To Daria, she could tell that Jane wanted to spend some time alone with Darren--time to make herself scarce.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Very well, Lane--I shall take my leave in your kitchen to consume liquid nourishment myself via your Kool-Aid. Report any findings to me. (Daria leaves)

JANE: (Puts her arms around a smirking Darren's neck:) Acknowledged.

DARREN: (Grins, looks down at Jane, holds her waist:) I warn you--I'm a tough nut to crack, Lane.

JANE: (Wicked smirk:) I just love a challenge, bub. (Both kiss each other)

After the kiss, Darren smiled weakly, then backed away from Jane, sighing, and looking a little unsure. Jane immediately noticed this, arched her eyebrow, smirked, and promptly inquired.

JANE: Hmmm--am I losing my kissing touch? What's up? (Thought v.o.: Are you gonna tell me what's bugging you, Darren?)

DARREN: (After a moment:) Jane, please don't take this the wrong way, but do you think we're moving--(looks for words:) well, a little too fast in our relationship, here? (Jane looks surprised) Before you say anything, let me explain. I've been thinking that I want to like you for you, and not just to get past Stephanie, here. After all, it has been not quite two months since she died, a period that I admit is a relatively short time to get over what happened. (Pauses, adds:) I--wouldn't want to mislead you. (Thought v.o.: As if I'm not doing it right now. You're a capital rogue, Darren.) I still have some feelings for her--she'll always have a small place in my heart--I--(hesitates:) hope you can understand that.

Jane stared up at Darren for a moment, then let out a small, quiet, chuckle, shaking her head slowly. Now it was Darren's turn to look surprised.

JANE: (Smirks:) You know, I had the same sort of a feeling over how I felt about you coming so "soon" after Tom. Though our relationship had gone downhill steadily and we eventually broke up, I still have some feelings for him, too, and like I told you, we're going to stay as friends. As far as I'm concerned, I understand perfectly. (Darren smiles slowly, relieved, then Jane adds reluctantly, looks at him expectantly:) Uh--is that it? (Thought v.o.: Maybe I can get you to open up to me?)

Darren narrowed his eyes down at Jane for a second, and to her for the briefest of instants, it seemed to be a pained look. Darren's visage then quickly changed to an appearance of normalcy, then he gave a quick shrug.

DARREN: Ah--no. You have anything to add?

JANE: (Thought v.o.: Damn! For a moment there, I thought--) Er, no, not really. (Walks up to Darren, holds his hands)

DARREN: Okay--I been thinking about something else--do you think we should tell Trent about what I'm going to do Friday night? He's going to wonder about why we're not there.

JANE: (Ponders:) Um, I think he'll understand that we won't be able to come if we tell him something's come up at the last second. I don't want what we're doing to kind of distract him while he and the guys are playing.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) I can see what you're saying about him possibly being distracted, but are you sure he won't mind?

JANE: (Waves him off:) Naaaah--Trent can sometimes be out of it at times when he's playing. It's cool--(smirks wickedly, puts her arms around Darren's neck:) now, where were we?

DARREN: (Smiles, puts his arms around Jane's waist:) I think we were here--(kisses her)

Daria went to the Lane's kitchen, and found the aforementioned Kool Aid (cherry-favored, in case you're wondering) in the refrigerator. She took the pitcher out, and put it on the table. Daria got a glass from the Lane's cabinet, and poured the Kool Aid into the glass. She sat down at the table and was about to drink it, when she saw Trent come into the kitchen, groggily, scratching his head. He saw Daria at the table and smiled.

TRENT: Hey, Daria--where's Janey and Darren?

DARIA: Hey, Trent--they're--talking in her room. I came down here to get me something to drink. (Pauses:) I assume you just rose out of bed?

TRENT: (Reaches into the cabinet to get some coffee:) Yeah--we had one hell of a practice last night at Max's place. I don't remember when we had a better one than that before--it was really something. (Starts to make the coffee)

DARIA: (After a moment, hesitates:) Trent, is it me, or do I sense that you and the guys seem to have a new sort of--vitality added on to your music? Darren, Jane and I heard you guys the other day while you practiced here, (Trent cocks an eyebrow at Daria) and it's like, Mystik Spiral's got a new type of purpose to play, or something?

Trent stared at Daria for a moment, then slowly smiled, sitting at the table across from her. Daria felt that ever-so-tiny "lump" in her chest again--though she knew it was nowhere nearly as strong as it used to be--damn dormant feelings.

TRENT: Huh--you noticed that too, Daria? Janey said sort of the same thing to me a couple of days ago. Yeah, you can say things are a lot better with our music now. Man, I tell you, it's rockin', Daria. it used to be that we'd play just "to play", like we were going through the "motions", or something, even when we were doing well on that tour we took up all the way to what happened in Reidsville. (Pauses:) You know, maybe the best thing that could've happened to us was what happened to the old Tank. (Daria lowers an eyebrow at this) On our way back home riding on the back of that pick-up truck, we were at a point lower than at any time I can remember. That experience kinda humbled us, Daria.

DARIA: (Quiet, thought v.o.: And playing at those small carnivals while you all were on "tour" didn't?:) Um, I suppose you felt that you guys couldn't get any lower than it was, for it was the "darkest before the dawn", and then suddenly there came a "light at the end of the tunnel"?

TRENT: (Lights up:) Yeah, Daria--exactly! Then that "Mysterious Benefactor" came in and saved us! It gave us new life with what he or she did. (Grows quiet:) Now, we can go on and go after that dream.

DARIA: (Gives a small smile:) I'm--happy for you guys, Trent--I really am. You seem to be on your way, now.

TRENT: Yeah, I hope so, Daria--(pauses, looks determined:) but we still gotta work hard to get where we wanna be, and practice more. We even heard some rumors that a record agent might be scoping us out. I dunno if that's true or not, but we're not gonna take any chances on letting up. I'm glad you guys are gonna be coming to McGrundy's this Friday (Daria looks down uncomfortably) --it should be our best performance yet.

DARIA: Um, Trent--I meant to tell you--something just came up. Jane, Darren, and I won't be able to come to McGrundy's this Friday.

TRENT: (Pauses:) Oh. Something really important?

DARIA: That depends on what you think is considered to be "important". Let's just say it can't be put off. (Thought v.o.: Though I'd like to put off Quinn and Sandi on a deserted isle and let them fight it out to the death.) Is it okay if we take a rain check? You guys'll be at McGrundy's through next week, and we can come anytime then, right?

TRENT: (Shrugs:) Sure, Daria, no sweat--we can catch you all later. (Gets up to boil the water to make the coffee, turns to Daria, and leans back on the counter, changes the subject:) So, Janey seems pretty happy being with your brother Darren. He's a cool guy.

DARIA: Yeah, Darren's great--(adds:) though at times, he can be a little too nice for his own good--especially when it comes to helping out my sister Quinn. He just gets a damn soft spot for her. (Thought v.o.: Like me for him.)

TRENT: (Crosses his arms, ponders:) Hmm--well, Daria, I think I'd rather have a brother or sister that's too nice than too mean--he could be kinda trying to make up the time he missed being with you guys all those years by helping out your sister. (Pauses:) Wouldn't you want him to be there for you like he is for your little sister?

DARIA: (After a moment:) Yeah--Darren told me and Jane kind of the same thing about Quinn before I came down here. (Smiles slightly:) I guess you're right when you say a big brother is suppose to be there for his little sister, Trent--like you're there for Jane?

TRENT: (Smiles:) Daria, you know Janey means the world to me--I'd do all I could for her, and I know she'd do the same for me.

At that moment, Jane and Darren walked into the kitchen, and both heard Trent's words. Jane turned a deep shade of red, and smiled sheepishly at her brother, while Darren looked over at Daria and smiled quietly. Jane walked up to Trent, and hugged him.

JANE: (Hugs Trent:) Damn it, Trent, are you trying to get me to go all sappy here? Where in the hell did all of this "lovey-dovey" crap come from?

TRENT: Daria and I were just rapping, Janey. You know that's how I really feel about you, don't you?

JANE: (Smiles uneasily while uncomfortably glances over at a now-smirking Daria and a now-grinning Darren:) Yeah, yeah, I do, but geez, couldn't you tell me that when no one was around? Now Daria and Darren's gonna give me a rough time over this "sibling-bonding" thing.

DARIA: (Still smirks:) Hey, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't give you a rough time, Jane?

DARREN: (Still grins, comes up beside Daria:) Besides, why would I give you a rough time, Jane? Remember, I have a middle sister that I've just found that I'm awfully proud of. (Daria cuts her eyes up at Darren, and now it's her turn to become red-faced) (Looks down at Daria, voice grows quiet, serious:) I'd do whatever I could for her, too. (Jane and Trent look at each other, then smile at Daria and Darren)

DARIA: (Now even more red-faced, [similar to the way Daria looked in "Ill"] looks up at Darren:) Ah, hell--Darren, uh--we should go back home and see if Quinn is there, you know--? (Suddenly gets up from her chair:) We'll see you later, guys. (Pushes Darren out of the kitchen)

Jane and Trent then looked at each other, smirked, and sat down at the kitchen table.

JANE: (Snickers, slowly shakes her head:) Poor Daria--she really doesn't know how to handle having a bona-fide bro that's there for her, does she?

TRENT: Nope--but I think she'll eventually figure it out, Janey. (Changes tone and subject:) So, what did you and Darren talk about?

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Huh?

TRENT: Daria said you and Darren were talking in your room while she was down here.

Jane's eyes got a little wide-eyed at Trent, remembering her little "talk" with Darren after Daria left them in her room. She then spoke.

JANE: (Gets in a dismissive tone, shrugs:) Oh, uh, we just spoke about some art, that's all.

TRENT: (Stares at Jane for a moment:) Oh.

JANE: (Ditto at Trent, leans back in her chair:) Yep, just some art.

TRENT: (Stares at Jane some more:) You're not gonna tell me what really happened, are you?

JANE: (Smirks wickedly, gets up:) Nuh-uh--use your imagination, bro. I'm gonna do some painting. (Leaves with a smug look)

Trent watched her leave, shrugged his shoulders, then got up and went to get the now-boiling pot of water to make his coffee.

Darren and Daria's trip back to the Morgendorrfer home in Darren's car was going quietly. Daria was still gathering in her mind what Darren said to her in the Lane's kitchen--that he would do whatever he could do for her, too--like Trent would for Jane. She smiled to herself over this thought, still gathering in the events of the past month. Being told by her parents that she and Quinn almost had a brother, thinking that he was stillborn. Finding out later that he was still alive, and had now found his birth parents and sisters. A generally nice, and--handsome (Daria blushed at this) brother who told Daria that he was proud of her, the sister who had most of her life been treated as (and she did not mind it being that way) an outcast. A brother who was becoming an important part of her, and her family's lives. Crap--this is becoming unbelievable. Me, Daria Morgendorffer, my wall that I had built up carefully over the years, only taking it down a little for Jane and Trent, have now found myself taking it down a little bit more for my once-thought-of-dead big brother. Daria cut her eyes over at Darren, who was driving, and said nothing, just taking in the new feelings of sibling pride, something she had rarely experienced with Quinn (and Daria knew vice-versa), that threatened to overwhelm Daria. She was shaken out of her thoughts when Darren spoke.

DARREN: (After a moment:) Ah--Daria, I hope I didn't embarass you in front of Jane and Trent, with that, you know--

DARIA: (Thought v.o., smirks to herself: Too late for that, bro.:) --Naah --it's no problem. (Looks uneasily at Darren:) I--kinda--didn't mind you--saying, uh--

During this time, Darren's car turned into the Morgendorffer's driveway, and simultaneously, Quinn and Stacy came out of the house to greet them. Daria gave herself a silent sigh of relief, especially when she noticed Darren seeing the two coming up to the car, and taking his attention off of her. Darren and Daria got out of the car.

QUINN: (Smiles:) Hiiiii, bro--(gives a quick look at Daria, curt:) Daria.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) And a "howdy-do" to you, too--Quinn.

DARREN: (Gives a quick sigh, slightly annoyed with Quinn's greeting to Daria in front of Stacy:) Quinn. (Looks over at Stacy, quick smile and a nod:) Hello, Stacy.

STACY: (Red-faced, looks down, in a quiet tone:) Um--hi, Darren, Daria. (Takes a deep breath, then:) Quinn and I have been talking, and well--I just wanted to apologize to you for the way I acted Monday. (Darren looks a little surprised, Daria simply looks at Stacy expressionessly) I didn't mean to act like that when you said that Jane Lane was your girlfriend. I just hope you can forgive me.

Darren stared at her for a moment, then walked up to Stacy, and extended his hand, smiling. Stacy looked up at him, and returned the handshake, a slow smile coming on her face.

DARREN: You're forgiven, Stacy. (Pauses:) Look, let's just forget about what happened, okay? I know you're Quinn's friend, and I don't think we'd want to put her in the middle of anything.

STACY: (Grins:) Okay, Darren--I'm just glad we could get past this. Quinn, you're so lucky to have a great (thought v.o.: And a gorgeous hunk of a) cousin! (Quinn looks at Daria and Darren uncomfortably, while Daria gives a small smirk, and Darren simply says nothing)

DARIA: This is a touching scene and such, but if you don't mind, Stacy, Darren and I have to talk to my (in a mocking voice:) "cousin" about a private family matter, (raises her eyebrows, her voice in a dismissive tone:) so if you don't mind--?

STACY: (Gets the message in Daria's tone of voice:) Oh, uh, sure. Quinn, I'll talk to you tomorrow about the Fashion Now TV show that's coming up this weekend, okay?

DARIA: (Under her breath:) You hope. (Darren gives her a quick glance, and Quinn gives her a quick frown, while Stacy looks between them, a little confused)

QUINN: Okay, Stacy--see you then. 'Bye. (Stacy leaves while stealing one last glance at Darren)

Quinn watched Stacy go down the street, then turned to Daria and Darren, frowning at Daria.

QUINN: Like, what's your problem, Daria? Who are you to get rid of my friend like that? I don't do the same to your art--(looks at Darren, checks herself:) to Jane!

DARIA: (Arches an eyebrow:) You're kidding, right? Compared to what you usually do to Jane, I thought I was being nice to Stacy, and we all know that's a miracle within itself when it comes to your "friends".

DARREN: (In a soothing tone:) Okay, settle down, you two. (Narrows his eyes at Quinn:) Quinn, I have some bad news--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --He means cataclysmic news for you, "cuz". (Darren gives Daria a pleading, exasperated look) Okay, bro--no more wisecracks. (Thought v.o.: At least not until later, that is--I just can't help myself.)

QUINN: (Frowns, perplexed, suddenly feels on her face:) OH NO! What is it? Is it my rouge? My mascara? My lip gloss? Am I out of fashion? (Narrows her eyes at Darren:) Don't tell me you forgot to tell mom about restoring my dates?

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Substitute "mind" for the word "fashion", and you'll be hitting on all cylinders, "cuz"--or in your case, off of all cylinders.)

DARREN: (Sighs:) None of the above, sis--let's just talk inside, okay? (Goes into the house with Quinn and Daria)

About 10 minutes later, Quinn sat back slumped against the middle couch in the living room, stunned and speechless. The "ruse" was over--everything concerning the "cousin" thing (Daria and Darren) was finally out, and that was not even the worse of it. Her brother--her brother, had decided to accept Sandi's offer to keep Quinn in the Fashion Club by going out with Sandi on a date, and to top that off, her parents were probably going to ground her for life--and this after possibly administering the punishment Darren had suggested! This was the worse nightmare Quinn had ever experienced--even more than having split ends, and lipstick smudges, except that it was not a nightmare, but real, all too real. Quinn looked sheepishly over at Darren, who was sitting on the left couch, explaining, while Daria sat on the right couch, watching both of them expressionessly with her arms crossed. Darren had just finished up what he was saying when Quinn suddenly glared at Daria, and leapt up.

QUINN: (Angry, points at Daria:) An' I just bet you're enjoyin' my predictability, aren't ya, Daria? My life is over!

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Quinn, the word is "predicament", and for some reason, (glances at Darren:) this doesn't seem like it was as much fun as I thought it would be.

QUINN: (Crosses her arms:) Oh, yeah, riiiight! Suuure it isn't fun!

DARIA: (Gets up, gives Quinn a serious look:) Quinn--listen to me just this once, okay? (Quinn puts her hands on her hips, frowns, while Darren gives an inquisitive look at Daria) I seriously wanted to enjoy what would happen to to you, but well--(gives another glance at Darren:) I kind of blame myself a little for what happened to you as well. (Darren smiles quietly while Quinn looks at Daria with her mouth hanging for a moment, then frowns at Daria suspiciously) I should have discouraged you from doing the "cousin" thing when you first started it, but I didn't, though I kind of thought that when I made that announcement in the auditorium after graduating from that "low self-esteem" class that it would do the trick. (Pauses:) It was fun getting money from you to keep the "cousin" thing secret, and I had my share of laughs with Jane, but, now--I thought about it, and maybe it's time we all started to grow up a little, sis. Darren was--(hesitates:) proud to say that I was his sister. (Narrows her eyes:) I'm willing, always have been, to do the same for you. Why can't you do the same now for me?

(Note to reader: Daria, of course, did announce in front of the school that Quinn was her sister in the Lawndale High auditorium in the episode "Esteemers"--more than likely, Quinn was probably able to explain it away, save for a few students. Hey, most of them are shallow, remember?)

Quinn stared at Daria for a moment, then looked over at a stoic-looking Darren, who privately was now even more proud of Daria, if that were possible. Quinn sighed, and plopped back down on the couch, looking down, resigned.

QUINN: (Almost in a whisper, snorts, shrugs:) Yeah, okay--why not? It's not I have much choice now, do I?

DARIA: (Deeply frowns now, deadpan:) Don't knock yourself out on my account--I wouldn't want you to go out of your way for me--"cuz". (Darren moans to himself--they're about to go at it again)

QUINN: (Jumps up:) Look, Daria--if I accept what punishment you and Darren have come up with, not to mention if mom and dad go along with it--my classmates aren't gonna look at me the same way again! I lied to them after all this time! (Darren, seeing how Quinn's words have hit home, gives her a quick, pained look) I'll be lucky if they even see me as an outcast like you, Daria! Popularity means everything to me! Don't you all see that?

Quinn suddenly sat down on the couch and started to cry, burying her head in her hands, this time not shedding the crocodile tears of trying to elicit pity she usually reserved for her parents (especially Jake) in order to get something, but real ones.

Daria looked down at her sister, and for the first time in a long while, felt genuinely sorry for her. She could not remember the last time she saw Quinn cry, save for a moment when Daria took Quinn's (actually her) toy bear away from Quinn when Daria was eight, and Quinn was six-and-a-half. Of course, this was a rather awkward situation that now had developed, and Daria was rather ill-equipped to deal with the sight before her, having put as as many emotions behind her "wall" as much as possible. She was mulling over what to do when Darren had gotten up and walked past her, and sat down beside Quinn, who buried her face in his shoulder, hugging him. Darren consoled her, hugging her back. Daria shrugged, went and sat down on the far end of the same couch, watching them.

DARREN: (In a gentle tone:) Shhh--it's okay, Quinn--it'll be all right. You'll get by this in no time.

QUINN: (While sniffling:) R-really, Darren?

DARREN: Yes, sis--if they're your true friends, (Daria rolls her eyes at this) they'll forgive you. (Thought v.o.: Just as if you guys are my loving birth family, you'll forgive me for my lie--I hope.) Besides, Sandi did agree to keep you in the Fashion Club if I went out with her, remember?

Quinn frowned at those words, and gently pulled away from Darren, getting up.

QUINN: (Sounding a little angry:) Yeah, I remember, bro--how can she do that? Doesn't she know that you're seein' Jane? (Daria cocks an eyebrow, slightly surprised) I mean, yeah, you guys said that Jane was willin' to let you do it, but still, I can't believe Sandi would actually go through with it!

DARIA: (Smirks, thought v.o., I can.:) Who says that Sandi's gonna be alone with our bro, sis? Jane and I are going to follow him and Sandi at a distance to make sure your "president" doesn't try and put the "moves" on him.

QUINN: (Wide-eyed, mouth agape:) You and Jane are gonna follow them? (Smirks:) Hmmm--yeah, that'll serve Sandi right--buuut--

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) --But what, Quinn?

QUINN: (Frowns, considers:) Maybe--maybe I can convince her to not do this, you know? I could ask her for some sort of fashion sabbatical punishment, or something--?

DARREN: (Sighs:) I don't know, sis--she seemed to be very determined to do this. (Cocks an eyebrow:) You know her better than we do--do you really think she would simply just allow a change in punishment?

Quinn thought hard about Darren's question for a second, then slowly shook her head, looking down.

QUINN: No. Sandi won't change her mind--though when I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if she gave me the fashion sabbatical in addition to goin' out with you--you know, to just keep up our rules. (Pauses, looks around, tries to get out the words:) Maybe--maybe--I--should--should--well--um--leave the Fashion Club so you won't haveta go? (Darren, and especially Daria, look shocked) I know you're doin' this for me, bro--an' I wanna thank you for puttin' yourself on the line like that. (Suddenly pulls up Darren form his sitting position and hugs him:) You don't have to do this, bro--you've done more than enough, with helpin' me out an' stuff.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: That's it--this can't be my reality. I'm having a actual talk-to-talk with Quinn, and Quinn wants to leave the Fashion Club to keep our bro from going out with Sandi? What's next, Kevin becoming a "brain"? If that happens, I'll strip buck naked for Upchuck, I swear I will.)

DARREN: (Holds her at length, looks down at her, narrows his eyes:) Hold on, sis--let me ask you a direct question, okay? (Quinn nods) Do you want to go to the Fashion Institute?

QUINN: O-of course, but--

DARREN: (Cuts her off softly:) --Good, I didn't think you were going to quit on me, sis. (Pauses:) What good is it to do what you and I did in trying to prepare you for the Fashion Institute, and have it all go to waste? Don't worry about me, Quinn--I'll be fine. Daria and Jane will be there--worry about what Helen and Jake will do when they come home from work.

QUINN: (Snorts, rolls her eyes:) Yeah, all I have to worry about is that now. (Sighs:) Well, Darren, if that's what you want to do--

DARREN: (Smirks with Daria:) --No, I don't, but I'll survive.

DARIA: And don't forget, "sis"--we'll suggest your punishment to mom and dad, so things might not be that bad.

QUINN: (Smirks:) Hmmph--should I kinda worry about the way you put that, Daria?

DARIA: (Smirks back:) You know, I think I'm gonna let you wonder, Quinn. (Darren looks between the two and chuckles to himself) And on that note, I'm gonna go to my room and finish some reading and writing. (Leaves to go upstairs)

QUINN: I've got a--call to make, bro, 'cuse me. (Leaves as well)

Darren watched Quinn go into the kitchen, and then sat down to watch some TV in the living room.

Quinn picked up the cell phone on the kitchen table, and went upstairs to her room. Before she started to walk in, however, she looked around, then went in. She sighed, dreading what she was about to do next, then punched some numbers. The phone rang for a few times, then it was answered.

VOICE: (Sounding drowsy:) Hello?

QUINN: (Hesitant:) Um, Trent? This is Quinn.

TRENT: (Now a sounding like a sneer:) Oh, yeah--"Daria's Sister".

QUINN: (Annoyed, having heard this before:) I just told you--my name is Quinn. (Pauses:) Look--can I talk to Jane, please?

TRENT: Huh--sure--just a minute.

A minute later, Jane's voice was on the other end of the phone.

JANE: Yo--Quinn? What's wrong? (Sounding a bit concerned:) Did something happen to Daria or Darren?

QUINN: Uh, no--look, I'm gonna ask you if you can give me your word that what I'm about to say won't reach Daria, Darren, or anyone else--(adds as an afterthought:) includin' your brother, okay?

JANE: (In a questioning tone:) Word? Word about what?

QUINN: (Irritated, smacks her mouth in a disgusted way:) Jane, would you just gimme your word that you won't say anything to anyone what I'm about to say to you?

JANE: (Now in a slightly amused tone:) Hmmm--you and me sharing a secret--I gotta admit, I'm awfully curious to know what you want to tell me--

QUINN: (Hopeful:) --Then I do have your word you won't say anything to them?

JANE: (Snickering sound:) Ah, hell--why not? Okay, I'll give you my word. So, lemme have it.

QUINN: (After taking a deep breath, closes her eyes:) Ijustwantedtothankyouforlettin'mybrogooutwithSandiFridaynighttokeepmeintheFashionClub! There! I said it, an' I got your word you won't say anything! 'Byeee! (Hangs up)

(Scene changes to the Lane's, Jane's room)

Jane looked at the phone with a slightly perplexed frown on her face for the briefest of moments. She caught very little of what Quinn had said, but it was just enough for her to put together. Jane then gave a slow smirk of realization to herself, and feeling a little grateful, as well as stunned by what the diva sister of her best friend and boyfriend just did. She clicked off the phone and started to paint some more at her easel just as Trent walked by the open door to her room.

TRENT: (Smirks:) What did "Daria's Sister" want, Janey?

JANE: (Smirks back:) Oh, to just talk about art, Trent.

TRENT: (Cocks eyebrow:) Art? (Pauses, realizes:) You're not gonna tell me anything about that either, huh?

JANE: You're batting a thousand today, bro. (Grins)

TRENT: (Shrugs, gives a lopsided smile, knows when he's beaten:) Whatever. I'm gonna go over to Nick's and practice with the guys. (Leaves)

Down the street from the Morgendorffer's, about several houses down, the gray-colored Camry that had followed Darren's car to and from Helen's job, the restaurant where Darren and Helen ate, to the Lane's, and then back to the Morgendorffer's, was parked. The driver, a muscular, bald, African-American man wearing dark black sunglasses, and a diamond-studded earring, was looking down at his notepad, writing something. He looked up and around, stared at the Morgendorffer's home for a moment, looked back down to his pad, and then kept writing.

(Scene fast forwards to the Morgendorffer's, a few hours later)

Helen stood in the middle of the living room, pacing back and forth, with a stern look on her face, cutting her eyes over at Quinn. Jake, who had been told of what Quinn had done while at the office from a call by Helen, also had a stern look (out of backing up Helen, of course), doing the same. He was sitting on the left couch, while Daria and Darren were sitting on the right couch. Quinn was sitting on the center couch, alone, akin to a defendant in a trial, and she had an uneasy look on her face. Helen and Jake found themselves somewhat surprised when Darren and Daria had interceded on Quinn's behalf, and had requested the punishment. Helen, after "consultation" with Jake, decided to accept the punishment, (thanks to Darren's primary influence) and allowed Quinn to decide which punishment to accept. Quinn decided to take the announcement, seeing as it would keep her from spending any of her money to print the fliers. Daria said that she would talk to Ms. Li and arrange the announcement on the first day of school, getting the matter out of the way as soon as possble, so it would not "interfere" with the rest of the school year for Quinn (who, if you will remember, had promised her brother she'd begin to crack down on her books).

The decision now was what additional punishment Helen and Jake would administer on Quinn that was separate from the school-related punishment. Helen motioned to Jake, and he got up, with both going over to the side of the living room, to "consult" with each other again. Quinn narrowed her eyes at her parents, leaning forward, trying to figure out what they were saying, while Daria leaned over to Darren, and spoke, whispering.

DARIA: I'm thinking it's gonna be fashion-related, bro.

DARREN: (Whispers back:) No, I think it'll be date-related, sis.

DARIA: (Smirks, sees Helen and Jake break their little conversation up:) Guess we're gonna find out, bro.

Helen went back in the middle of the living room, standing and looking at Quinn, narrowing her eyes, while Jake sat back down on the couch, and resumed (or tried to) his stern stare, crossing his arms. Quinn glanced at both, unsure, while Daria and Darren listened intently as Helen spoke.

HELEN: (In a firm voice:) Quinn, your father and I have decided to punish you additionally by not allowing any purchases of clothing for the next month. (Quinn looks devastated, her mouth agape, while Daria smirks secretly at Darren, who shrugs) Also, you'll not date any boys for the same period of time, and you'll be on an 8:00 p.m. curfew for this time as well. (Darren gives a smirk right back at Daria, who actually looks surprised at the additional punishments, while Quinn's eyes get huge, as huge as Daria has ever seen them, and Quinn jumps up, angry)

QUINN: How could you do this to me, Mom!? Wasn't tellin' everyone this fall that Daria's my sister and takin' my fashions away enough? I need fashion and guys to be popular! Without me keeping in practice, I can't do that! (Outstretches her arms:) They both need me!

DARIA: (Deadpan, low tone to Darren out of the side of her mouth:) What will they do, what will they do? (Darren tries not to laugh, looks at Daria)

(Note to reader: Daria's little quip [said once before by her in this fic] comes from old commercials done by pitchman Karl Malden for American Express traveler's checks--"Don't leave home without them"! Do you remember?)

HELEN: Then you should have thought of that before you did that "cousin" thing to your sister! Quinn, you have to learn the consequences of your actions! Right, Jake?

JAKE: (Jumps up, points to Quinn:) That's right, honey! Quinn, listen to your mother!

QUINN: (Grabs her hair, starts to sob:) ARRRGH! (Suddenly turns around and while running up the stairs:) I'm never coming out of my room again! My life's over! (Darren, concerned, looks as if he is going to go after her, but Daria gently grabs his arm, and a second later, a door is heard slamming upstairs)

DARIA: (Shakes her head:) Let her go, bro--she'll come out of it--remember what happened after you said she was your cousin to the Fashion Club? She came around then, and she'll come around over this, eventually. (Thought v.o.: And she'll probably also come around with some sort of plan to con mom and dad to cut down on her punishments)

DARREN: (Still looks after Quinn:) I--suppose you're right, Daria.

HELEN: (Sighs, sits down where Quinn sat:) I hope we did the right thing.

JAKE: (Gets up and sits beside Helen, squeezes her shoulder:) Sure we did, Helen! Our sweetie will learn from this ol' bump-in-the-road, and will come out on smooth asphalt! (Begins to look in space, gets angry, narrows eyes:) Unlike me when it came to my Old Man! (Daria and Darren look at each other uneasily) My road was never smooth with him! It was always a damn crater, twenty-four hours a day, with no let-up! Why, there was one time when I--

HELEN: (Glares:) --Jake, please!

JAKE: (Suddenly smiles:) I'm okay, Helen! (Looks over at Darren with that idiotic grin:) Right, Big Guy? (Gives that "thumb's-up" sign)

DARREN: (Responds uncomfortably while Daria smirks at him:) Uh, right. (Thought v.o.: I don't think I'll ever get used to that.)

(Scene changes to the office of Leonard Potter, Los Angeles, the same time)

Leonard Potter sat at his desk, deep in thought. The past few days had been nothing short of a complete shock to him--like touching a live wire off of one of those high voltage power lines. He had been convinced that William would not dare do something as brazen as transfer Constance Waters, but William showed him--and everyone else. Within the company, questions were being bandied about, but Leonard knew in his heart the real reason--that William somehow or another had pressured Constance into heading up Appleton's stake in Tsumana/Fuju--he was sure of it, though he could not prove it. Leonard had tried to call Constance, but had found out that she was gone already--more than likely rushed off to Japan by William, so she wouldn't be able to answer any lingering questions. Maybe after she had settled in Tokyo, he would call her and see what she really knew about what William did. Leonard sighed to himself--Arthur Sr. would have never done that to her, more than likely probably promoting her on the spot for getting a significant share in Tsunama/Fuju.

He frowned to himself, perplexed--would Darren had done that if he were involved in the company right now? Leonard had wondered occasionally about the heir to the Appleton fortune, having heard from Millie when she had called Leonard a few days ago that things were going well for Darren while he was staying with his birth family for the summer. Good--that young man had been through enough hell these past few weeks, and it was about time he had something good happen to him.

Of course, Leonard knew that Darren would not take over the Appleton conglomerate following the deaths of his parents. Arthur and Lucille themselves had told Leonard as much. Leonard remembered them both telling him once that Darren would not be ready for a few years, at least until he had gotten out of Eastward, and probably going to a business-only school, then getting experience by observing and learning the inner workings of Appleton's business. Arthur and Lucille were terrified of "The Secret" getting out before Darren had turned twenty-two, and they decided to rewrite the will beforehand, actually having taken it away from William, whom they were originally going to give primary control to, because of his strange "attitude" change following the meeting in the Florida Keys--what in the world happened there that caused William to change like that? Still, after the deaths of Darren's parents, it turned out to seemingly be a wise choice, Darren's choosing of William as Appleton Industries' new Chairman (personal bias aside)--or so he thought. Now, after all that had happened in almost the past month, he wasn't so sure anymore. He had experienced the "wrath" of William's newfounded power, and he found himself not liking it one bit--and he felt the same thing from the private rumblings of some other business people at Appleton Industries, too.

He then thought about the detective Gerald Woo. Obviously, Woo suspected William of some sort of wrongdoing, what, with all of those questions Woo asked Leonard when Woo visited his office--but what? Who was Woo's client? Could it be someone Leonard knew? Perhaps he should call Woo to inquire, or maybe offer to volunteer whatever assistance he could to Woo if Woo asked any further questions about William? It certainly couldn't hurt to ask Woo--he had little to no work to do here, anyway. He turned on his intercom button.

LEONARD: Hannah, could you find the number of the detective Gerald Woo, so I can call him, please?

HANNAH: Yessir, Mr. Potter. (Reaches for the company's phone directory)

(Scene changes to the Woo Detective Agency, a few minutes later)

Carla was typing on the computer keyboard at her desk when her phone rang. In one motion, she answered it while still typing.

CARLA: Woo Detective Agency, may I help you?

VOICE: Yes--is Gerald Woo there? This is Leonard Potter, legal counsel for Appleton Industries, West coast division, and I wished to talk to him about a --private matter.

CARLA: I'm sorry, but he's out for the moment, Mr. Potter--I could try and page him for you--

LEONARD: (After a moment:) --No, no--that's all right--I'll try again later. Please tell him I called, thank you.

CARLA: (Stops her typing long enough to write down Leonard's name:) All right, I will. Goodbye, Mr. Potter. (Hangs up, resumes typing)

(Scene changes to Appleton Towers, New York City, William Appleton's office, the same time)

William Appleton was sitting at his desk with Benny standing at his side, while a nervous-looking Sam Norwood stood before them, looking in some files.

WILLIAM: (Scowls:) All right, Sam--tell me I can legally take Appleton away from my "nephew".

NORWOOD: (Looks up from his file with an ashen look on his face, sweats:) B-Boss, I-I-I'm s-s-sorry, but I tried, I r-r-really tried, I did, b-but P-P-Potter--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off:) --Damn it, man--just spit it out! Can I get Appleton?!

NORWOOD: (Looks down:) No, sir--it's airtight. P-Potter covered e-e-every legal base--Darren Appleton is the sole heir over Appleton Industries. (Adds quietly:) I did my best, sir. (Cowers, while Benny cuts his eyes warily at William)

William's visage, to the surprise of Benny and Norwood, became expressionless, as if resigned. He slowly got up, and walked around the desk, whereas Norwood suddenly became wide-eyed and terrified. His body became rigid when William walked towards, and then at the last second, past him. Norwood took a deep breath and relaxed when William went to one side of the office and stared at the wall for a long moment, with his hands in his dress pants pockets. Both men stared at each other, confused. In a way, to both of them, it seemed it would have been better for them if their "Boss" had gone into a rage, having been used to seeing it many times. Instead, they were greeted with a quiet response--it seemed--frightening to both men in a way. William then turned around, looking pointedly at a again-afraid Norwood with the same expressioness look, then spoke.

WILLIAM: (In an eerily calm tone:) Very well, Sam--you did your level best. (Norwood looks at him, shocked:) In a way, I should have expected Potter to do such a thorough job. Arthur Sr. always said he was the best at what he did --(quietly chuckles:) and who am I to argue?

BENNY: (Carefully gets out his next words, looks at Norwood uneasily, and vice-versa:) Uh, Boss--are you okay? We thought, well--

WILLIAM: (In the same tone, cuts him off:) --I'm fine, Benny--just fine. Reality, you see, has just hit me in the face. (Both men look at him like he's lost his mind:) Don't you two morons know what this means?

NORWOOD: Uh, nooo--Boss--what does it mean?

WILLIAM: (Now shows a dark look:) It means we deal directly with my "nephew" right after Sanchez--I'll get to that in a minute. (Frowns:) Speaking or which, what-in-the-damn-hell is taking Sanchez so long to call, Benny?

BENNY: (Shrugs, sighs, exasperated:) Beats me, Boss, we--

The intercom on William's desk suddenly beeped. William walked over and pushed the receiver button.

WILLIAM: Yes, Lilly--what is it?

LILLY: A call for Mr. Lodell, sir.

BENNY: Thank you, Lilly. (Goes over to the desk, picks up the phone:) Yes?

William walked back in the middle of the room with Norwood, waiting, while Benny talked.

BENNY: And you're sure about that? (Pauses:) Good work--return to your post. (Hangs up:) That was our man spying on Woo--guess who just called him?

WILLIAM: (Frowns:) I don't have time for guessing games, Benny. Who was it?

BENNY: Leonard Potter--he wanted to speak to Woo, but he wasn't there at the moment.

WILLIAM: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Oh? So now Potter's asking questions, is he? (Pauses:) I'm beginning to wonder--is he working with Darren? (Narrows his eyes at Benny, realizes:) Wait a minute--where was Woo?

BENNY: Our man said that he went to get a late lunch, and--

WILLIAM: (Now furious:) YOU IDIOT! (Benny cowers:) I wanted to keep an eye on Woo at all times! He could be paged by one of his men while out eating, that Sanchez has been located, and we might never know!

BENNY: (Tries to understand:) B-but Boss--you said--

WILLIAM: (Goes up to Benny's face, grabs his coat collar:) --I SAID, TO KEEP AN EYE ON WOO! THAT MEANT AT ALL TIMES, NOT JUST DURING THE DAY!

BENNY: (Completely sputters:) O-oh, t-that's what you meant. I-I'll get another man to help out the one already there, Boss.

WILLIAM: (Snatches his hands off of Benny, still frowns:) Do that, you fool--you're lucky that our man has said that they haven't found Sanchez yet! (Goes back to his desk, sits down:) Sam, I want you to draw up some new legal papers--I'm formulating a plan in my mind now on how to get Appleton Industries from my "nephew", and I'll need the legal paperwork from you to make that happen--by the time everything's over and done, Darren will have willingly given everything to me legally. (Benny and Norwood look at each other)

BENNY: "Paperwork"? Your "nephew" willingly giving you the whole conglomerate? Boss--(pauses:) what's going on? I thought you'd want to kill Darren after we've dealt with Sanchez, and leave it at that.

WILLIAM: And kill him we shall, Benny--but it's going to involve "persuading" him to see things my way, and the way I do that is to "secure" the dear boy's birth family. (Frowns:) Why do you think I have our man scoping out all of this "Lawndale"? Gathering information on Darren's birth family and their friends? Their habits at work and at home? I want to make sure that my "nephew" sees that I hold all of the cards here, and that he'll have no choice, other than to sign the papers that Sam here will draw up that will have Darren hand over complete power to me. I simply can't trust the Board to vote me in power by a majority to replace Darren after he dies--I need what I call "assurance insurance".

NORWOOD: But how will you do that, Boss?

WILLIAM: (Scowls, looks up:) Lord, help this man--(looks directly at Norwood, talks to him like an adult speaks to a child:) didn't-I-just-say-that-we-want-to-secure-Darren's-birth-family? (Norwood gets an "Ohhhh" look on his face) That means we kidnap them, and force Darren to sign the papers, then we'll kill him. As for his birth family--weeell--I haven't decided on what to do with them yet--depends on if I'm in a "good" mood at the time if my "nephew" cooperates fully. (Changes tone:) Now, gentleman, you have your assignments--hop to it. (Benny and Norwood immediately leave)

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's, a few hours later)

Helen, Jake, and Daria were sitting around the kitchen table finishing eating, while Darren was gathering up the dishes, and putting them in the dishwasher. (Quinn had refused to come out of her room to join the others, still pouting over her punishments, and a portion was sat aside for her to eat for later.) An offer went out to Jane, but she was helping Trent and Mystik Spiral out on a painting a poster of them that they had asked her to do to help the "promotion" of their "comeback" tour, so she respectfully declined, also adding that Darren should spend some "quality" time with his birth family, and that they'd "make up" for it later, with a sinister grin. Helen and Jake had offered to help clean up, but Darren had said no, insisting that he clean up--he figured he owed them at least that much for their hospitality while he had stayed here, not to mention the fact that he also had prepared the meal, volunteering to do so, much to the surprise of the others. Jake, who primarily did the cooking in the Morgendorffer household, was estatic, and had tried to help out in the kitchen, but was shooed out by Helen after Darren had quietly asked her to do so, saying that he wanted to "surprise" them with the dish. After scavenging around in the kitchen, and a quick trip to the grocery store, Darren came up with the dish he was looking for--a sausage and rice casserole. Daria, ever the cynic, had privately found herself wondering if Darren knew what he was doing, putting himself on the line like that, suspecting that the real reason he was doing this was to get out of having lasagna again--not that she could blame him. (She was partially right after asking him out of the hearing range of the others, but he assured her he could cook the dish.)

After eating their portions, Darren, who had finished putting all of the dirty dishes into the dishwasher, decided to ask for their opinions, wanting complete honesty. Inwardly, he felt a bit of nervousness--would they like what he had prepared? Jake jumped in first.

JAKE: (Grins, leans back in his chair and pats his stomach:) Darren, that was a great meal! Where'd you get the recipe?

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: From Henri, the chef at the mansion, but you'll know that soon enough.:) From--a cookbook, and--experimenting at home, and in home ec.

HELEN: Oh, Darren, that was a superb dish! (Thought v.o.: Jake can take a few lessons from him.) Daria, what did you think?

Daria looked between the three for a long moment, then spoke.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) It didn't kill me, and it was tasty--so, I suppose it was okay. (Thought v.o.: Let's see now--you're an almost-too perfect nice brother, martial-arts expert, an art critic, and now a good cook who by sheer coincidence might've known these "Appleton" people who died in that jet plane crash--what other secrets are you hiding, bro?)

HELEN: (Glares at her for a moment, sighs loudly:) Why am I not surprised by your reaction, Daria? I think--

JAKE: (Inquisitive look, cuts in:) --Just "okay", Kiddo? Your 'Ol Dad likes to think of himself as a connoisseur of fine cooking, (Helen rolls her eyes, while Daria simply stares at him, and Darren gives a little smile) and I gotta say I loved the taste!

DARIA: (More deadpan:) How's this, then--wowee, whoopee, way-to-go, bro? Your dish awoke the taste buds in my mouth, filling it with culinary delight, the likes which I can only experience once in a blue moon? (Pauses:) Now, can that be considered beyond "okay", Dad? (Helen frowns at Daria, while Jake tries to understand what she's said)

DARREN: (Laughs at Daria's remark:) Thanks, all of you--I appreciate your comments. I just thought you'd all would like to have something--different for a change of pace. (Thought v.o.: And anything, and I do mean anything, would've been better than more lasagna.)

HELEN: (Gets up and hugs Darren:) It was different, son--and delicious. Thank you so much for fixing this. (Pauses, sighs:) I only wished Quinn could've eaten with us instead of staying upstairs in her bedroom, angry at us.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Forget it, Mom--we might not even see Quinn until the next "Ice Age"--or fashion evolution, whichever comes the hell first. (Drinks some water)

HELEN: (Frowns for a second:) Now, Daria--Quinn will have to come out of her room soon--

JAKE: (Cuts Helen off:) --Yeah, Kiddo! She's gotta eat, and use the--(motions his head up, uncomfortable:) you know--"potty-room". (Darren shakes his head slowly, chuckles to himself, while Helen rolls her eyes)

DARIA: (Gets up:) Gee, I'll mark down that rather historical moment when it occurs, Dad. I'm going up to my room.

HELEN: (Puts the leftover on a tray, gets up as well:) Daria, on your way there, could you please drop this off to Quinn? I'm sure she's hungary.

DARIA: (Caught off-guard:) Uh--Mom--

DARREN: (Steps in:) --I can--(stops as he sees Helen give him a sharp look:) ah, I'll finish cleaning up down here. (Turns quickly around, starts to faux-wipe the kitchen counter with a paper towel he sees on the side)

JAKE: (Jumps up, eager:) Hey, honey, I don't mind--(sees the same look as Darren did, turns immediately into the living room:) eh, that's right! There's another baseball game on the "Prosports" Channel! Hey, Big Guy, when you finish cleaning up, you wanna join me to watch it on the ol' "telly"?

Darren glanced at Jake for a moment, then looked between the stoic-looking Daria, and the determined-looking Helen. Though he certainly had not been around long enough to know his birth mother, it was clear to him that she seemed to want to talk to Daria about Quinn. Best to let them converse.

DARREN: Oh, yeah--sure. (Looks around the kitchen:) As a matter of fact, I've basically finished in here anyway, (laughs uneasily:) with the, ah, dishwasher doing the work and all, so I'll come with you right now. (Leaves with Jake into the living room)

Daria watched Jake and Darren go into the living room, and turned to her mother, her eyebrow cocked.

DARIA: Okay, Mom--Darren and dad have now abandoned the kitchen premises. I'm guessing that you wish for me to take that leftover dish up to Quinn so I can talk to her and bring her out of her self-imposed "funk", am I right?

HELEN: (After a moment:) You're partially right, Daria--I just don't want Quinn to hold her punishment against you in particular for no real reason, maybe for a long while, and risk letting her anger fester. I'd talk to her myself, but--

DARIA: --She's still PO'd at you, and dad, well--(trails off)

HELEN: (Chuckles a little:) --Exactly, dear--though he does mean well, your father, you know--

DARIA: --Yeah, Mom--dad could make it worse without meaning to. (Pauses:) Then again, Darren--

HELEN: (Cuts her off:) --Sweetie, we shouldn't ask Darren to talk to Quinn, even though I know he would do it in an instant. This is something that I think you and Quinn should settle between yourselves, seeing as this "cousin" thing has been going on for awhile, hmmm--?

DARIA: (Smirks:) "Settle", eh, Mom? Well, I think I may have some boxing gloves somewhere in my closet--

HELEN: (Sighs, then talks in a soft admonishing tone:) Daria, I'm asking you to do this verbally, not physically. (Holds out the tray to her, smiles quietly:) Do this for me free just this once, okay, sweetie?

Daria stared at her mother a moment more, then sighed--that damn conscience was speaking to her again.

DARIA: (Takes the tray:) Okay, Mom, but don't blame me if you hear any blood-curdling sounds of shouting and thumping on the floor upstairs after a while. (Walks away, while Helen shakes her head slowly, smirking)

Quinn was laying down back on her bed, fuming, her arms crossed, looking at the ceiling (like Daria, though she did not know that). No fashions. No dates. A curfew. Why didn't they just kill her and get it over with? All of these three things over the span of a one whole month. All because she wanted to "protect" her popularity by saying that Daria was her "cousin" after all of this time. She bit her lower lip in frustration, then looked on her dresser at the cell phone she had kept in her room after talking to Jane. Quinn seriously thought about calling Stacy or Tiffany, eager to explain why she pretended that Daria was her "cousin", possibly putting her own spin on the situation to counter Sandi's newfound discovery, like Quinn had done when Daria announced practically to the whole school that Quinn was her sister after the self-esteem course during their first week at Lawndale High. It was Quinn's greatest effort at spin control, but it was well worth it when every one of the "popular" people (especially Sandi,) thought that Daria was under the influence of a "medicine" that had "affected her mind" when she had made the speech, and, as a result, Quinn had weathered the "storm".

Quinn then rolled over onto her stomach and sighed--knowing Sandi, she already probably had called Tiffany immediately after finding out the truth, and then Stacy when Stacy got home from Quinn's. One thing about Sandi --she sure worked fast when she needed to--especially at Quinn's expense, and judging by the control Sandi had over those two, they'd wait until she gave her "approval" to even talk to Quinn--after Sandi had taken her brother out on their "date". She half-expected for Joey, Jeffrey, and Jim--no, wait--Jamie to call by now and cheer her up with their fighting over her, but she then remembered that they were out of town with their families--Stacy had told her as much while she was over--otherwise, they would have been here as soon as they heard that the "moratorium" on any guy taking her out was over--not that it would any good now, since she couldn't go anywhere. She painfully closed her eyes for a moment, feeling alone.

Where was Darren? She was sure he'd be up here by now, consoling her. Quinn missed her big brother's soothing words, and she felt she needed it right now. She considered about talking to Daria for a second, then rolled her eyes at that thought. Despite her sister's little "appeal" downstairs, Quinn guessed that Daria was quietly enjoying Quinn's troubles--this, on top of everything else, was the worse thing from Quinn's viewpoint. The "Brainy Sister" was laughing at Quinn behind Quinn's back. Quinn knew she couldn't compete with her sister in the "brains" department--(well, until Darren came into the picture, and encouraged her to study for the Fashion Institute) having given that up long ago, but knew she had the advantages of beauty and personality in comparison to Daria's intelligence--at least it was something to hold in Daria's face--even though at times it seemed to Quinn that her sister did not care at all. Now, even that was gone.

Suddenly, there was a knock at her door, and Quinn shot up from her bed, expecting that her "Big Bro" had arrived to cheer her up. She literally ran up to her bedroom door, and quickly opened it, smiling.

QUINN: Oh, Dar--(sees Daria holding a tray full of food, surprised:) Daria?

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks, shoves out the tray to her:) I hate to disappoint you, "sis", but it's just me--the "other" sibling. Here--mom thought you'd be hungary, so she asked me to deliver your food. You can tip me, oh, say--15%?

QUINN: (Scowls now:) Huh! I'll have you to know, Daria, that I'm not--(suddenly Quinn's stomach growls, Daria smirks even wider at this, and Quinn turns red-faced:) uhh--those are just--um--diet sounds! That's it!

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) "Diet sounds", you say? (Pauses:) Uh-huh. Well, now--I guess I can throw out this sausage and rice casserole Big Bro prepared, then, so those "diet sounds" can continue their "natural noises". (Begins to turn around)

QUINN: (Does a double-take, gasps:) Wait! Darren made that? (Narrows her eyes suspiciously at Daria, who turns back around to her:) You're not makin' this up, are you? Since when does our brother know how to cook?

DARIA: (Shrugs:) Since he got tired of eating lasagna all of the damn time. (Holds out the tray again:) Are you gonna take the tray or not?

After a moment, Quinn quietly took the tray, and went to her dresser, while Daria followed her in, shutting the door. Quinn, who was so enamored with the aroma of the food, did not notice her sister, and began to ravishingly dig into the cassarole, obviously hungary. Daria smirked at the sight and spoke.

DARIA: (After a moment:) You're welcome. Careful, Quinn--those "diet sounds" might be "silenced".

QUINN: (Goes at it, stuffs food into her mouth:) Boy, I'll say--this is great, Dar--(startled, some bits of food come out of her mouth:) AAAGH! You're still here, Daria? What do you want?

DARIA: (Walks by her, sits down on Quinn's bed, while Quinn watches her for a second, then resumes eating:) To talk, sis--look, I told you I wanted us to get past the "cousin" thing, and I meant it, at least for our brother's sake. (Pauses, obviously uncomfortable with her next words, crosses her arms:) So, um, how about it? Can't we let bygones be bygones?

Quinn stopped eating for a moment, and stared at her sister, not quite believing Daria to be sincere.

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes:) You're really serious about this, Daria?

DARIA: (Cocks an eyebrow:) And you're not, Quinn? Everything's out, now --so why hang on to the anger you feel at mom and dad--and at me? Besides, it's just a month--practically the same time we've known our bro, and that month has just about flown by us, so it'll be over sooner than you think. You're still gonna be in the Fashion Club as vice-president, and you can always--(searches for the right words:) uh--catch up on the latest fashion trends. (Pauses:) So--what do you want to do? Keep the anger--or let it go? I'm willing to meet you half-way on this--are you gonna meet me on the other half?

QUINN: (After a moment, looks as if she is under tremendous strain--hesitates to get out the words, sighs:) Okay, Daria--from this moment on, in front of everybody else in public--you an' I are--are--(shudders slightly:) sisters. (Gives a weak smile, extends her hand:) Shake?

DARIA: (Gets up, extends her hand as well, smirks:) Shake. (Pauses, while her hand shakes Quinn's:) You know, if the others saw us like this, we'd never live it down.

Suddenly, as if on cue, the door busted open, and a smiling Jake came into the room holding his camcorder, and video-taping the now-startled sisters shaking hands, followed by Helen and Darren, who were also smiling.

DARREN: (Shrugs, in a sheepish tone:) I tried to stop them, guys, I really did.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) And a sterling job you did at that, bro--I can see the strain from your doing so on your face. (Pauses:) I knew I should have locked that damn door. (Darren laughs)

HELEN: (Looks as if she is about to cry:) Oh, girls--this is such a beautiful moment! (Rushes up to hug both of them)

DARREN: (Smirks, remembers Daria's quip about Quinn using the "potty-room":) Don't forget that it's a "historical" moment, too. (Daria glares at her brother)

QUINN: (Horrified:) Muh--oom! Can't you at least let me finish eating? (Glances at Jake with the camcorder:) Daddy! Make sure you get my good side! Both of them!

DARIA: (Horrified:) Oh, God--not a "sappy-personal-loving-family-moment"--Jane had better not see this crap, bro--I'd never hear the end of it.

DARREN: (Smirks, leans against the doorway, arms crossed:) Hmmm--I don't know, sis--in fact, I might just send her a copy of this "historical" moment to cherish forever. (Daria glares at her brother some more while Helen still holds her and Quinn, sobbing)

The cell phone in Quinn's room suddenly rang. Darren, nearer to it than anyone, picked it up on the dresser and answered it.

DARREN: Hello--Morgendorffer residence.

VOICE: Oh, Darren--good. Like, you're the one I've been expecting to talk to.

DARREN: (Now sounding stoic:) Uh--hello, Sandi. (Daria and Quinn stare at him, while Helen and Jake are still going on about "The Moment", not noticing who Darren's talking to) Er--could you wait a moment, please? (Covers the speaking end, looks at Helen and Jake:) I was wondering if you two could leave me with Daria and Quinn for a few minutes, please?

HELEN: (After looking at Jake, releases Daria and Quinn:) Of course, son--who's that on the phone?

DARREN: (At a loss:) Uh, well, it's, ah--

DARIA: (Jumps in:) --It's Jane, Mom--she wants to talk to me, Quinn, and Darren about some, uh--ah--

QUINN: (Takes over from Daria:) --Some fashions, Mom. (Daria and Darren look at Quinn like she's insane) She, uh, wants my advice, and Daria and Darren want to hear it as well. (Laughs uneasily, while Daria and Darren look at each other uncomfortably)

After a second, Helen smiled, and pulled a still-video-taping Jake out of the room--she was so happy about her daughters "bonding", that she did not question Quinn's weak reason.

HELEN: (Leaves:) Well, all right, you three--tell Jane I said hello. (Darren gives Daria and Quinn a look that says, "She brought that?", while Daria and Quinn look back at him as if to say, "What do you think"?)

JAKE: (Sad look:) Aw, Helen, I'm not even finished yet!

HELEN: (Sighs:) We can get some more taping done later, Jakey. (Leaves the room, shuts the door)

Almost instantly, Daria and Quinn gathered around Darren to listen to the conversation.

DARREN: Sorry, Sandi--something came up. I'm assuming you want to come up with a time for Friday's (groans inwardly:) ah--"date"?

SANDI: (After a moment:) Ummm--yes I would, Darren, and I would like to be shown a good time while we're out.

DARIA: (Leans over to Quinn, in a low voice:) I think our bro would rather show her the door. (Quinn smirks)

DARREN: (Clenches his teeth at Sandi's impertinence:) Of course, Sandi--do you have any ideas as to where we should go?

SANDI: (In her usual haughty "Valley Girl" tone:) As a matter of fact, I do. We'll go to a restaurant called Pastroni's. (Quinn's eyes light up, and her mouth hangs open, agape, while Daria drops an curious eyebrow at her reaction) Afterwards, we can go to a dance at a nightclub called The Haven. (Quinn frowns, now angry, balls her fists, grits her teeth) If I think of something else, I'll let you know before you pick me up at my house at 7:00 this Friday night. (Pauses, sneering sound:) I'd speak to Quinn, but she has to understand that she's on a--fashion sabbatical, (Quinn narrows her eyes) and will not be allowed to speak to the other members of the Fashion Club for a week. I've already talked to Tiffany and Stacy, and they know the "drill". (Snickering sound:) Tell Quinn to enjoy her sabbatical. See you then, Darren. (Hangs up)

DARREN: (Looks at the phone, frowns, clicks it off, gives it to Quinn, who tosses it on her bed, annoyed) Well, now--she certainly has all of her ducks in a row, doesn't she?

DARIA: Too bad she isn't one of the ducks--I'd shoot her down in an instant in a booth at a carnival.

DARREN: (Chuckles softly at Daria's remark:) At least Quinn was right about the "fashion sabbatical" thing--we don't have to worry about any other Fashion Club punishments Sandi might've imposed on her. Quinn, do you--(stops when he sees what Quinn is doing)

Quinn was stomping around in her room, furious, while Daria and Darren watched her curiously. She spun around, and glared at them both, frustrated.

QUINN: Damn it! Pastroni's? That's the most expensive restaurant in the area, even more than Chez Pierre, an' it's not even in Carter county! I've wanted some guys to take me there since I came to Lawndale, but they weren't rich enough! (Pauses:) The only reason she's doin' that is to outdo me when I told her an' the rest of the Fashion Club about Darren takin' me to Chez Pierre!

DARIA: (Deadpan:) And the "Can-You-Top-This" competition continues.

For the briefest of an instant, Darren wondered if Sandi knew of his secret, wanting him to take her to an expensive restaurant, then he reconsidered--this was the deal they had made to keep Quinn in the Fashion Club, and Sandi was going to get all she could out of it. He froze for a second, thinking--did "could" also mean that he'd have to go to b-- no, don't go there. Put that thought completely out of your mind. He gave a quick glance at his sisters, and they seemed to think Sandi was getting "greedy", too.

DARREN: How far is this Pastroni's from Lawndale, Quinn?

QUINN: (Snorts:) About 30 miles, bro. It's in nearby Colby county, near Leeville. (Pauses, scowls:) Then she wants to take you to The Haven!

DARIA: Dare I ask, where and how expensive is The Haven, Quinn?

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) About 15 miles from here, Daria, just inside Carter county--an' it's ultra-expensive like Pastroni's! It's a high-class teen-themed nightclub, an' I--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Let me guess--you tried to get guys to take you there, too, but their pockets weren't deep enough for there as well? (Quinn frowns at Daria, who looks at Darren, concerned:) Darren, I just thought of something--what Sandi is doing seems to be awfully expensive here. Yeah, I know you told me and Jane that you could afford this, but that was before we found out that she would demand the whole damn state. Surely there's no way you can take her out to the boondocks, and treat us while we're following you, too? Maybe I can convince Jane that we should stay behind--?

Darren sighed, then walked up to his sister, and, like the time he did with Daria on the front porch, when they came back from the Zen that night following Jane's kissing him, put his hands on her shoulders, and spoke to her in an assuring tone. Unlike that previous time, Daria seemed to feel comfortable this go-around, for she didn't flinch. Quinn looked between the two, cocking an eyebrow at the exchange, privately amazed that her sister did not draw back--she supposed that even Daria was completely at ease with her brother, now, in a way like he had been there all of their lives--the same for Quinn.

DARREN: (Looks down at Daria:) Sis, don't worry--I can--afford this. I want you and Jane there, okay? (Ponders, realizes:) Do you think Helen and Jake will allow you to take their car to follow us? If not, I can maybe get a taxi--?

DARIA: (Smirks:) With the way mom and dad have been after me to get out more, bro, I can swing it. Here's the plan: You'll tell them that you're going by Jane's to take her out Friday--in your car, of course, and I'll tell them that I'm going out with a guy at the same time, leaving when you do in one of mom and dad's cars, then I can swing by Jane's, and pick her up, and we'll follow you to Sandi's, and then to those places. (Quinn snorts and rolls her eyes) What?

QUINN: Daaaaria! You can't just take the car and say you're gonna go and pick up a guy! It just doesn't work that way! It's gotta be the guy who picks up the girl, not the other way around! Believe me, I know! Mom and dad would be kinda suspicious!

DARIA: Quinn, check the calendar--this is the year 2000, not the turn of the last century. Mom and dad know that some girls pick up some guys in this day and age, and they're gonna be eager enough to believe that I would go out with a biker if that's what it would take to get me out of the damn house. (Sneers:) You pick guys up all of the time, right? Only you don't have to drive cars to do so, if you catch my drift. (Quinn glares at her while Darren sighs to himself) I'll just explain that the guy's car is being repaired, and that he'll be riding with me.

DARREN: Then it's settled--I'll give you and Jane some money for gas and food, and everything will be fine, though I don't know what you'll do about the nightclub. It could be hard to try and watch us while all of those people are around, though I'll do my part if Sandi tries any hanky-panky.

DARIA: No problem, Darren--Jane and I can handle ourselves. You'll be there to cover our asses if something goes wrong, like say, some idiot, who'll be turned down by me or Jane if he asks us for a dance, and tries to harass us.

QUINN: (Shrugs:) Well, I guess you guys know what you're doin'. Don't forget to get reservations, too. (Goes to her dresser, pulls out the drawer, takes out a menu labeled "Pastroni's", gives it to Darren:) Here--call 'em for you, Sandi, Daria, an' Jane. The number's on the inside of the front cover--they can take reservations 24 hours in advance.

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) Quinn has a menu to the place--why doesn't that surprise me?

QUINN: (Waves Daria off:) Daria, I have menus to every expensive place in the area! (Smirks at Darren:) I could've asked Darren to take me to Pastroni's, but, hey, he's my bro--I couldn't do that to him, could I?

DARREN: (Chuckles:) No, I suppose you couldn't, sis. (Pauses, looks down at the menu, opens it:) Now, I'll call on my phone, and--(cocks a slight eyebrow:) oooooh--er, $60 for a steak? Hmm--interesting. $45 for a bowl of soup? This--is--well, now--(looks for words to speak)

QUINN: (Looks up dreamily, sighs:) Yeaaah--isn't it great? I'll go there, one day--you'll see--

DARIA: --Yeah, if it doesn't work out at the Fashion Institute, you can always apply for a job there serving tables, and fulfill all of your dreams. (Quinn looks at her disdainfully, while Darren quietly slips out to his room to call the restaurant, chuckling) Well, now that our little "bonding" session is over, much to my delight, (reaches to the cell phone) I'm gonna call Jane if Darren doesn't first, and--(phone starts to ring) I do believe that phone has a mind of its own. (Clicks it on:) Hello?

VOICE: Um--is Quinn there?

DARIA: Yes, your fellow "fashion-Nazi" is here--(looks at Quinn:) so much for "Lord Sandi's" decree--it's Stacy. (Gives the phone to Quinn, smirks:) I know you'll probably be here for the rest of the night talking to her, (Quinn gives Daria a smug look) so I'll ask for the use of Darren's phone after he finishes calling "Restaurant Fort Knox". See ya. (Leaves)

Quinn sat down on her bed, and spoke.

QUINN: Hi, Stacy--why are you callin' me? Sandi's forbidden you an' Tiffany from doin' so for a week!

STACY: (Now becomes frantic:) Hey, Quinn--I know, I know! I realize I'm taking a chance in doing this, but why did Sandi want us not to? (Gasps with realization:) Oh, Quinn--please don't tell Sandi I called!

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes, exasperated:) Don't worry, Stacy, I won't. (Cocks an eyebrow, curious:) You mean, you don't know why I can't talk to you guys?

STACY: (Sounding like she's about to cry:) No! All Sandi said was that you were under "fashion sabbatical" for an entire week! (Adds after a second:) You didn't wear your lavander polyester skirt with that lemon cotton midriff shirt, did you?

QUINN: (Makes a face:) Ugh! No way! I'd sooner die than to do that! (Pauses, frowns, confused:) I thought for sure Sandi would've said something to the both of you by now.

STACY: (Sniffles:) N-no, she didn't. (In a quiet tone:) W-what happened, Quinn?

QUINN: (Sighs:) You might as well know, Stacy--God knows everyone else will this fall--(hesitates, takes a deep breath:) Daria's my--my--my--sister, an' not my cousin, an' Sandi found out about it, an' is punishing me for it. (Thought v.o.: Just like mom an' dad are.)

There was a long silence on the other end of the phone, and for a moment, Quinn thought Stacy did not hear her. She was about to speak again when Stacy spoke in a very quiet tone, almost a whisper.

STACY: (Meekly:) O-oh. (Pauses:) So, uh--w-what's wrong with a "brain" being your sister? (Quinn looks surprised a bit at Stacy's words, then Stacy suddenly gasps:) T-that means Darren's your brother, too? (Squeals, then realizes:) Quinn, why would you be ashamed of him being your brother? (Quinn looks shocked)

QUINN: Um--Stacy, did you hear what I said? Daria's my sister? Yeah, Darren's my "Big Bro", but--

STACY: (Not hearing Quinn, on a roll:) Daria's art friend is so lucky! If I had a hunky brother like you, I'd brag about it all over Lawndale! I'd try to make guys jealous by pretending he was my boyfriend, and I'd--

QUINN: (Looks up, tries to be patient:) --Staaacy! (Thought v.o.: Great--now I'm sounding like Sandi.) I--well, I tried to do something like that when, I--um, first introduced him to you all in the Pizza King.

STACY: (Sounding confused:) Huh? Quinn, I don't understand.

QUINN: (Bites her lower lip, then grimly goes on:) Well, Stacy, you--see--(phone rings on the line) hang on, it's probably a client for my mom, or something. (Clicks phone off, then on:) Hello?

VOICE: Hey...Quinn.

QUINN: (Raises both eyebrows, surprised:) Tiffany? You're goin' against Sandi?

TIFFANY: (Hesitates:) Um...yeah...but...would...you...not...tell--

QUINN: (Cuts her off:) --Don't worry, I won't. In fact, Stacy's on the phone, too. Lemme switch on the three-way call connect, and we can all talk to each other. (Does so, pauses:) I hope you guys can forgive me for what I'm about to tell you--if you can't, well--(voice trails off, looks away)

TIFFANY: Hey...Stacy. Quinn...what...are...you...talking...about?

STACY: Hi, Tiffany! That's what I was wondering about, too.

QUINN: (Sighs heavily:) Well, like I was about to tell Stacy, it happened when you guys first met Darren--

The day-and-a-half leading to Friday passed quickly. Darren had been "briefed" by a suddenly happy-looking Quinn over what to expect from Sandi, such as Sandi's likes and dislikes in food and what she does and does not do on dates, based on what Quinn had heard from boys who had gone out with Sandi (after going out with Quinn first, of course). Darren had been able to secure the dinner reservations from Pastroni's for him, Sandi, Daria, and Jane, with Daria and Jane in a spot where Sandi could not see Daria and Jane. (Secretly, Darren had made sure of the locations--that is by sending a special "payment" to the restaurant's management, and insuring the preferred spots there.)

During this time also, Darren had taken out Jane at night to a movie at the Playhouse 99 theatre, seeing the French film, "Les Miserables", a movie Jane wanted to see, just to help reassure her that he had absolutely no interest in Sandi--though Jane insisted that she did not feel threatened by a "shallow, egotistical, self-centered, fashion-obsessed twit like Sandi Griffin". He did so anyway, especially when Daria had privately conferred to him that Jane had appeared to be a little depressed, seemingly having second thoughts about agreeing to the "date" while she and Daria had gone with Darren during the same day to the arcade again.

In the meantime, Daria's little plan to get the car (Helen's red SUV in this case) worked, with a delighted and estatic Helen and Jake, who were happy Daria was going out on her own, and all too willing to allow her to do so. At first, Helen had suggested that Daria and her "companion" go out with Darren and Jane on a double-date, but Daria quickly suggested that she and her "date" were going to a different place than Jane and Darren. Quinn also backed up Daria, and that little gesture in itself was more than enough for Helen and Jake to allow Daria to do so.

Jake had Darren come to see what a consultant does for a living, showing Darren around the office, and generally bragged about his work. Darren listened politely to his birth father, occasionally smiling between Jake's loud-yet-proud boastings. A difficult-to-please, attractive, female client that wanted to try and sell a new invention about a type of eyeglass, came into Jake's office, and after seeing and talking to Darren, promptly gave Jake her okay, signing the proper papers for a contract. Jake, completely beyond delighted, proclaimed to Darren that Jake's selling skills went a long way in getting the contract. Just as the woman was leaving, she slipped a piece of paper into Darren's hand--it was her phone number! Darren looked at it, becoming wide-eyed. He quietly balled it up, and threw it into Jake's wastebasket.

Privately, Darren had hoped to hear something, anything, from Woo on Sanchez by now, but there still was nothing. Darren then knew he had to be patient--after all, Woo was doing his best. Darren decided to concentrate on getting this ridiculous "date" with Sandi out of the way for Quinn, and the sooner, the better.

Darren also remembered to call his uncle William about the NTSB's findings on the crash from earlier in the week, concluding that a call to him tonight would come after the "date". He was getting ready for the "date" for this evening in his room with Daria, who was sitting on his bed. Darren was looking over his clothes he was going to wear when Quinn came in, smiling.

QUINN: (In her sing-songy tone:) Hiii, guys!

DARREN: (Sounding a little depressed:) Hello, sis. (Goes back to looking in his bag)

DARIA: (Smirks at Quinn:) You're sounding awfully happy for someone who's bro is about to make the ultimate sacrifice for you.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Pleeease, Daria--I'm the last person that would wanna see our bro out with Sandi tonight, you know that. I'm just happy 'cause mom an' dad are lettin' me go over to Stacy's tonight for a slumber party, an' Tiffany's comin' over there, too! (Daria and Darren look at each other, surprised) I've been workin' on--er, talkin' to mom an' dad since right after I got off th' phone with Stacy an' Tiffany.

DARREN: Ah, that's why you've been sounding happy the last day-and-a-half. (Goes back to looking in his bag)

QUINN: (Looks away slightly:) Well, um--that's partly true, bro. I was happy first 'cause Tiffany an' Stacy forgave me for lyin' to them about Daria an' you, Darrren.

DARIA: Hold the phone--and I don't mean the one you're always talking on--you were able to get "Dumb and Dumber" to forgive you for lying to them, defying Sandi in the process, I might add, as well as arrange this apparent secret sleepover with those two--and then you got mom and dad to let you get off of curfew to go over to Stacy's and have your little "fashion powwow"? What did you do--catch mom and dad making out on the couch again, and are holding that over their heads as some sort of guilt-trip to get them to let you go? (Darren stops looking in his bag for a moment and looks at Daria strangely) I'll explain later, bro.

QUINN: (Closes her eyes, shakes her head, disgusted at the thought of seeing such a sight:) EWWWWWW! Don't go there, Daria! Actually, it was 'cause of what happened between you an' me the other night, with makin' up an' all. (Giggles:) I just took advantage of our parent's good feeling's at th' time, and my natural charm took over from there!

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Naturally.

QUINN: I still can't go out on a date for at least two weeks, includin' tonight, the same for buyin' any clothes. Th' curfew will last for three weeks, with th' exception bein' tonight. I tried to get mom an' dad to make it two weeks as well, but mom said if I did that, I couldn't go over Stacy's tonight. So, I said I'd do it.

DARREN: (Glances at her while looking at his dress shirts:) You'd trade a day for a week, sis? I don't get it.

QUINN: (Gets a small scheming smirk on her face:) Oh, tonight will be worth it, bro--trust me. (Daria cocks an eyebrow at this)

DARIA: (Smirks:) Does the Fashion Now TV show have a special on not wearing baggy clothing while you have baggy eyes?

QUINN: (Snorts:) Really funny, Daria. (Pauses, looks her over:) You're not gonna wear your--ugh--regular clothin' to Pastroni's, are ya?

DARIA: (Gets up off the bed, twirls around with her arms stretched out, similar to a ballerina:) Do you like it? I call it, the "To hell with what anybody else thinks" look. (Darren tries to hold back his laugh while Quinn frowns) And get this: --I don't have to put on any damn thing else! It's amazing! I've already convinced Jane to do the same, too. Maybe we could both go into business convincing others to do it as well! What do you think? Could we pull it off?

QUINN: (Clenches her teeth:) Damn it, Daria! Pastroni's is a high-class restaurant! You should at least look like you belong there! (Sneers:) Besides, you an' Jane don't wanna draw any attention to yourselves by people lookin' at you strangely, do ya?

DARIA: (Sits back down:) People do that all the time anyway, Quinn. Jane and I will keep our "unique" styles, thank you. (Quinn slowly shakes her head)

DARREN: It's okay, Quinn--Jane and Daria will be sitting away from us, out of the way. (Looks for some pants to go with his shirt)

QUINN: (Walks up beside Darren, snorts:) Well, I suppose that's a relief--at least you guys won't embarass Darren if you do draw attention. (Looks at Darren's clothing:) Do you need any help with matchin' your stuff for tonight, bro?

DARREN: (After a moment, shrugs:) Sure, Quinn. (Holds up a charcoal-colored dress shirt:) What do think of this color with my white dress pants?

QUINN: (Puts her index finger to the bottom of her mouth, ponders for a moment:) Hmmm--that could work. Maybe you can match your black coat with that.

Having just come in from work, Helen came into Darren's room smiling, and began to beam with pride at seeing her daughters and son together.

HELEN: Hellooo, everyone! I see you're getting ready quite early for your date with Jane, son. (Looks at her watch:) It's only 5:15 in the afternoon.

DARREN: (Uneasily chuckles:) Oh, uh, right--5:15. Well, one can't afford to be too unprepared, right? I'm just--looking for the right thing to wear with Quinn's help.

HELEN: I see--Daria, maybe you should be getting ready for your date with--what was his name again? Martin, I believe--?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Yeah, Mom--and for the record, I am ready. Ask Quinn. (Darren chuckles to himself quietly)

HELEN: (Looks at Quinn, confused:) What--?

QUINN: (Sighs:) Never mind, Mom--I'll tell you about it later. Speaking of gettin' ready, I'd better get ready to go over Stacy's tonight. Bro, that outfit will look perfect on you! Sis, um, have a good time with that "Marty" fellow! Byeeee! (Leaves)

DARREN: Thanks, sis--have a good time.

DARIA: Yeah, don't let the "fashion bugs" bite. (Looks at Helen:) Where's dad? Is he gonna burn the late-afternoon oil, or something?

HELEN: Your father had a late after-work meeting with a client. He'll be here in another hour.

DARREN: You two have any plans while we're all gone?

HELEN: (Smirks:) Oh, we'll think of something, Darren--we'll think of something. (Daria shudders to herself, knowing what her mom means, by "something", while Darren shrugs, and tends to his clothes)

(Scene changes to Woo's Detective Agency, Los Angeles, about an hour later)

Gerald Woo just came in from yet another cold trail, slumping down in his chair, looking frustrated, and staring into space. It was as if the whole ground had swallowed up Sanchez, for there was absolutely no sign of anyone seeing him anywhere. Yet, for all of this, Woo's gut instincts told him that Sanchez had to be nearby. He and his staff had checked at all of the nearby airports and bus and train stations, quietly flashing Sanchez's picture, but no people who worked at any of those places could recall seeing him--that could indicate that Sanchez was still in the L.A. area, having never left--if that were the case, why had he not?

Woo and his people had also checked in any old hangouts they thought he'd be at, going back over Sanchez's history, according to his police records. They had a small break when a prostitute (Woo had discovered from the hacked police files that Sanchez had a "weakness" for these types of women) told Leroy of meeting someone of Sanchez's description, but a subsequent check in a nearby hotel turned up nothing. When Woo called Leonard Potter to return Potter's call, Woo half-expected some sort of new information Potter may have had, only to receive disappointment when Potter told him nothing of any value.

Woo leaned back into his chair, rubbing his face, and closing his eyes, trying to catch a quick nap. He had had very little sleep since promising Darren Appleton about working nonstop on finding Sanchez. The quiet darkness became a welcome distraction, as he began to slumber off into dreamland, snoring lightly.

He was suddenly jarred out of his sleep by a smirking Carla, who was nudging his shoulder.

WOO: (Blinks his eyes open:) Uh, whatzat, Carla? Who--

CARLA: Geez, Woo--I tried beeping you, but you must've really been under. It's David, and he has some info about Sanchez. Line two. (Leaves)

WOO: (Wipes his eyes:) David about Sanchez? Thank you, Carla. (Punches line two:) Go ahead, David.

DAVID: Woo? I know where Sanchez is.

WOO: (Suddenly sits up, alert:) You do, David? Where?

DAVID: At some run-down apartments called--(pauses:) let me make sure I wrote this down right on my pad here--the--"Suni Apartments".

WOO: (Looks up, tries to remember:) Suni--Suni--(realizes:) that dump? I thought it was condemned by the building inspector last year! How far are you from it?

DAVID: About 15 minutes. I'm standing here at the corner of Hikhali and Nobles with a vagrant who said that he saw Sanchez coming out of a Hispanic-themed nightclub located near the Suni night before last with a prostitute. He remembered it because the vagrant tried to ask Sanchez for some money to get some food, but Sanchez pushed him down, and kicked him a couple of times, then Sanchez and the prostitute left laughing, while the vagrant lie on the ground in pain.

WOO: (Shakes his head slowly, frowns:) Charming fellow.

DAVID: (Snorting sound:) Tell me about it--anyway, the vagrant happened to watch them go into the Suni, then crawled away to nurse his wounds. I guess uh--one moment, Woo--(voice goes off:) what's your name, again?

VOICE: (In the background, sounding bitter:) Lew.

DAVID: Yeah--Lew, here--thought that calling the police would do no good since he's a, well, a "lowly" vagrant, and they wouldn't give a damn.

WOO: (Gets up out of his seat, stretches:) I see. (Pauses:) Does uh--"Lew" want something in return for his--"troubles"?

DAVID: Yeah--he wants about $50 and Sanchez's ass in jail.

WOO: (Smirks:) Heh--give "Lew" $300, and give him that number at the employment agency where I can guarantee that he'll get a job where he can get back on his feet--he can buy some clothes and clean himself up. Oh, and call Leroy so he can join us. Stay where you are. After I call Darren Appleton to let him know we found Sanchez, I'm on my way.

DAVID: I figured you'd want Leroy, so I've already called him. We'll be here waiting for you, Woo--and I'll see to "Lew" like you said.

WOO: Excellent, David--thank "Lew" again. See you. (Hangs up, dials some numbers)

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's, the same time)

Helen Morgendorffer was going over her documents from her law firm while walking down the hallway to go downstairs to be with Jake, who was now at home and fixing dinner for the two in the kitchen. The work had piled up while she was on vacation, and she still had not caught up yet. She wanted to finish it up as soon as possible so she could be with him for a quiet--and maybe a sexy time alone with Jake, while Daria, Quinn, and Darren were out. She sighed contentedly when she thought about how they were all getting along, and how her son had helped bring Daria and Quinn closer together. As she was walking by Darren's room, the cell phone he had in there had started to ring. Helen smirked for a moment--it was the first time she could recall hearing it ring. She had known that her son had used it to talk to his friends or relatives about his birth family while staying with them, but she and Jake had decided that when he was ready to discuss them, he would do so on his terms--like his adopted parents, and how they died. She had regretted privately about inquiring about them that day while they were at Milligan's, and it bothered her slightly. Helen was about to go in his room and get Darren's cell phone when she stopped, somewhat hesitant--perhaps feeling that she would be meddling in his private affairs if she picked up his phone. After a moment more, she quietly pushed his door open, and answered the phone--out of a sense of curiousity more than anything else, maybe she could get an idea about how his friends or relatives were.

HELEN: (In her falsetto voice:) Helloooo?

VOICE: Uh, hello--is Darren A--er, Coverton, there?

HELEN: No, I'm afraid not. He just left for the evening, and won't be back until later tonight. May I take a message?

VOICE: (After a moment:) Yes--tell him to call (pauses:) "G.W. about Sanchez". He'll know what I'm talking about, Ms.--

HELEN: Mrs. Morgendorffer, and you may call me Helen, Mr.--

VOICE: Uh, Gerald--Mr. Gerald. It was nice talking to you, er, Helen. Thank you. (Hangs up quickly)

Helen frowned slightly, perplexed, looked at the cell phone, then clicked it off. She scribbled what "Mr. Gerald" told her on a small sheet of paper, then put it beside the charger.

HELEN: What an odd man. (Puts back the phone on the charger, then leaves the room)

(Scene changes to William Appleton's Park Avenue apartment, about five minutes earlier)

William Appleton sat on his couch looking in some business-related files. He decided to leave the office early today to get a quick start on the weekend, having put up with a hectic week, with what the NTSB "found out" about the crash, Potter's attempts to supply Woo with information, which fell flat, (much to William's amusement) and Sam Norwood's futile efforts in trying to find a legal loophole that would enable William to take the Appleton conglomerate from his "nephew". Add the deal he just completed with the Saudi Arabian businessman over the pipeline near Mecca, and putting Constance Waters on a plane to Japan, thus effectively putting her in a corner of the world where she'd poise no threat to him, not to mention speculating where that ignoramus Sanchez was, and he felt he deserved some time off. Benny Lodell suddenly emerged from William's bathroom, wiping off his hands with a towel, then sitting down beside William on the couch.

BENNY: What do you want to do about dinner, Boss? (Smirks:) Wanna paint the town? Find some girls, and--

WILLIAM: (While looking in the files, cuts him off:) --No. We have too much work still to do, so we can order in. I want--

William's cell phone suddenly rang, and he answered it.

WILLIAM: (Curtly, while still looking in his files:) Yes, what is it?

VOICE: (Sneering sound:) Hey there, Mr. Appleton--you're just the man I've been wanting to talk to, not your little "guard-dog", Lodell. I tried to call you at your office, but you were gone home already. I called Mr. Lodell's apartment, but I was told he was with you, so I called here.

WILLIAM: (Cocks an eyebrow, now curious:) Eh? Who is this?

VOICE: Why, don't you know me? It's Sanchez. (William's eyes light up, and his mouth is suddenly agape, which draws Benny's attention) I'm calling about my "second" payment.

William quickly motioned to Benny, who turned on the intercom that connected the speaker to the phone so they could both hear, much like they did when Darren had called a few weeks ago.

WILLIAM: (Gets up, faux smile and friendly tone:) Why, Julio! (Benny's eyes light up, gets off the couch) We've been trying to locate you, so we can give you your second payment! Obviously, the NTSB has concluded the crash was an accident, so we can close out our "business", and go our separate ways. It was $20,000 as agreed upon, right?

JULIO: Well, I've been thinking about that amount, and for some reason, I don't think it's enough--(William and Benny frown at each other) I did a great job on that fuel valve, making fools out of the NTSB, and no one suspected a damn thing. Don't you think I deserve a little more than $20,000? I'm kinda running low on cash reserves here, if you know what I mean.

WILLIAM: (Clenched teeth while talking:) Oh? How much more do you think you deserve, Julio?

JULIO: Oh, about $200,000-- (Benny is about to say something when William motions to him to silence) that should make us even. What do you think?

WILLIAM: (Tries to keep his composure:) Hmmm--that much, huh? Maybe--(the phone rings on the line:) could you hold on for a second, Julio? There's another call coming in, okay?

JULIO: (Begins to sound angry:) Hey, don't cut me--(William cuts him off)

WILLIAM: (Clicks his phone on, again:) Yes, this this William Appleton.

VOICE: (In the background, it's obvious there's a moving car sound interminged with the voice:) Boss, I'm following Woo with our other man in our car--Woo's found where Sanchez is. What should I do? (Benny gets a panicked look on his face, while William stays calm)

WILLIAM: (His voice matching his calmness, then begins to grin slowly in realization, which Benny picks up slowly, then he grins the same way:) Do you know where Woo's going?

VOICE: A place called the "Suni Apartments". Woo's going to meet his men first on the way there, and they're then going there to see Sanchez.

WILLIAM: (Narrows his eyes:) Do you or the man you're with know where these "Suni Apartments" are? Talk to your partner--this is very important.

VOICE: (After consulting with the man beside him:) Yessir, we do.

WILLIAM: (Grins sinisterly:) Excellent. Hang on a second, would you? (Clicks line to Sanchez, in a faux codensending tone:) Julio? Are you still there?

JULIO: (In a furious tone:) You're damn right I am! I didn't like to be cut off like that, and--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off:) --I'm so sorry for doing that--we had a $100 million deal that we have to close today--you know how it is, business and all. (Pauses:) You said you wanted $200,000, right?

JULIO: (Sounding bitter:) Yeah, and if I'm cut off again like that, the price will double, got that? (William's visage turns dark along with Benny's)

WILLIAM: (Then smirks sinisterly, resumes his calm voice:) Of course, Julio, I understand perfectly. There's no need for hostility here, we're all friends. I agree to your amount. Where are you?

JULIO: (Sounding stunned for a second, then delighted:) You DO? I mean--uh, a place called the "Suni Apartments" in Los Angeles. I can meet one of your men--

WILLIAM: --Yes, of course! I'll send a man over to these "Suni Apartments" and have him give you what you so richly deserve. What's your room number?

JULIO: (Still sounding excited:) Room 308, Mr. Appleton, under the name "Gonzalez". When will your man be here so I can expect him? I could give him directions--

WILLIAM: (Looks up, faux concern:) --No--no, that won't be necessary. I'm sure he knows where it is. Now, as for when he'll arrive there--ah, say 10 minutes? Be sure to be there, now--and stay in your room--we don't want to draw attention from any curious tenants.

JULIO: No sweat. (Hangs up)

WILLIAM: (Frowns:) "No sweat", indeed. (Clicks phone back on:) All right--here are your orders--eliminate Sanchez--he's become a problem, and has to be dealt with, understood? Break off from Woo, and get to these damn "Suni Apartments", and do the deed, then get the hell out of Los Angeles as soon as you can, and meet me in this "Lawndale" place tomorrow around 3:00 p.m., you understand that? I want you to get in touch with our man there, and he'll give you directions on how to get there, and what other things we'll need to deal with my so-called "nephew". (Benny looks at William strangely)

VOICE: Yessir--we'd like to add that Woo also tried to call Darren Appleton about Sanchez, but he wasn't there. He left a message with Darren Appleton's birth mother.

WILLIAM: Don't trouble yourself about my "nephew"--at least not yet, anyway --I have a man watching him--you just deal with Sanchez first, got that?

VOICE: Yessir--Sanchez is as good as gone. (Hangs up)

BENNY: (Comes up beside William:) Well, that's that, Boss--what did you mean by wanting those two with you in that "Lawndale" place tomorrow? You said you wanted to deal with your "nephew" personally, but I never thought you'd want to--

WILLIAM: (In a calm voice, turns to Benny, cuts him off:) --No, you didn't think, Benny, and I'll tell you what I'm going to do in my own time, but first--

Before Benny knew it, William had backslapped him across the face, doing it so hard, that Benny had gone over the coffee table, falling down on the Oriental rug, along with the business files, and spilling a pitcherful of water that was on the table as well. He looked up at William holding his face where William hit him, stunned.

WILLIAM: (Looks down at Benny darkly:) That was for hiring that exortionist in the first damn place. I suggested to you to hire a professional hit man, but you wanted someone "cheaper". Well, that little "cheap" bastard would've bled us to death, Benny--we'd always be blackmailed by Sanchez--we'd be his money "lifeline" forever. You were supposed to make this a clean thing, Benny--no muss, no fuss. Instead, I found out I had to do the cleaning myself. I don't like to sully my hands, Benny--save for the one that I'll have personally for my "nephew"--otherwise, I have others who can do that for me--like you--or so I thought.

BENNY: (Speechless, looks foolish:) B-but--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off:) --Shut up. Clean up this mess, and get the hell out. Don't come back until I call you tomorrow. Good night. (Leaves the living room with a still-stunned Benny on the floor looking after him)

(Scene changes to Darren's car, about 15 minutes later, somewhere inside of Colby county)

Darren was driving his car down the highway from Lawndale, trying to look straight forward, with Sandi Griffin sitting beside him. He found himself stunned that Linda Griffin would allow her daughter out with her dressed like this--to kind of think of it, Sandi's mom was all for the "date"--even encouraging Sandi to stay out as late as she wanted with Darren, saying she trusted "Helen's Son" implicitly because of Quinn telling Sandi about his "gentlemanly manners"--thank you, dear sis. Sandi's father Tom Griffin, simply said nothing over this, watching Darren sadly--Darren drew the conclusion that he was being intimidated by his wife. Sandi's brothers--what were their names again? Oh yes--Sam and Chris--had peppered him with "kissyface" questions--pure "hilarity", he had thought sarcastically. Darren guessed that this was Linda's way of getting back at Helen for the perceived "wrongdoing" against Sandi (he could tell the two did not like one another from the restaurant meeting), and he was caught in the middle of it, though Helen did not know that Linda was doing so, having thinking that Darren was out on a date with Jane. Helen would have probably stopped the "date" if she would have found out (something Darren would have jumped at if not doing this for Quinn) and that probably would insure that Quinn would be out of the Fashion Club, which in turn would hurt her chances of getting into the Fashion Institute.

Darren was feeling uncomfortable because of what Sandi was wearing--a strapless off the shoulder red sequin dress with a very low-cut front, her cleavage pushed up most profusely--covered only just enough by a white flower corsage that Darren had purchased for her (by her insistence when she had called back the next day to add that one little item). She wore a white cotton shawl that draped her shoulders, and strapped red high-heeled shoes. Her hairstyle was different, done in a obviously fashionable style. (The same one as in the episode "Just Add Water") It was beyond clear that Sandi was "dressed to kill"--was she trying to close in on him for the "kill"? He shuddered at that thought, shaking his head quickly, and closing his eyes. He then repeated the chant he had going in his head to himself--this was for Quinn--this was for Quinn, and Jane and Daria were following them--relax, relax. He snapped out of his private thoughts when Sandi spoke.

SANDI: (Looks over at him uneasily:) Um, Darren?

DARREN: (Glances at her out of the corner of his eye:) Yes, Sandi?

SANDI: Don't I, like, look pretty or something? You really haven't said a word to me since we left my house.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow, somewht suprised at Sandi's straightforwardness:) Eh? Well, yes--yes, I suppose you are, Sandi. You look very pretty.

SANDI: (Smirks:) Thank you, Darren.

DARREN: Mind answering a question?

SANDI: Like, sure, I suppose.

DARREN: Why me?

SANDI: (Narrows her eyes:) What do you mean, Darren?

DARREN: Why me? Sandi, with your looks, you could get any guy you wanted--

SANDI: (Smugly:) --That is so true--

DARREN: (Sighs, rolls his eyes:) --Riiight. So, why are you doing this? Why couldn't you have just punished Quinn some other way, not just by putting her on this "fashion sabbatical"? Something like a suspension--?

SANDI: (Now with a wicked smirk:) Because I think that by going out with you is the worse thing I can do to Quinn--she'll be wondering what we're doing together. (Darren frowns, and Sandi notices) But, well, it isn't just that--you are kinda, uh, like cute. (Looks away, flushed)

DARREN: (Slightly surprised by Sandi's comment:) Uh, ah, thanks, I'm really flattered, but I--

SANDI: (Rolls her eyes disdainfully:) --Have a girlfriend already, Joanne, or something, right?

DARREN: (Sounding a bit annoyed:) It's Jane, Sandi, and yes, she is my girlfriend, and before you ask, I like her because she is a genuinely decent and down-to-earth person with a twisted sense of humor, which is actually something I find myself attracted to about her.

SANDI: (After a moment:) I see. (Pauses:) You can do so much better, you know--no offense to Jo--uh, Jane. I can offer you much more than she can.

DARREN: (Having heard this before, gamely goes on:) Oh, really--what can you offer me that she can't? (Thought v.o.: Other than just pure meanness?)

SANDI: (In an arrogant tone, put her hand on her chest:) I do have the looks, the charm, and the ability to manipulate others to do my bidding for you. Does Jane have this?

Inside his mind, Darren fumed. He had encountered this type of girl several times in the country clubs he and his (adopted) parents had frequented during some parties--which incidentally bored him to tears at times. These girls were snobbish, rude, and arrogant, talking all the time about their parent's wealth they were going to inherit, or themselves. It was not until Stephanie had Darren met a girl he really liked--her, and--Jane. It took all of his willpower not to simply stop the car, and toss Sandi out then and there. Instead, he gathered his words (and his temper), putting both under control, and spoke.

DARREN: Sandi, I like Jane--period. It's nothing against you, really. (Sighs:) Can't we talk about something else while on our way to this Pastroni's, please? (Sandi shrugs, indifferent, while Darren ponders, then:) How about what you're going to do after high school?

SANDI: (Startled a bit by Darren's question, cocks an eyebrow:) Well, I'm er--um--

DARREN: (Smirks slightly, cuts his eyes sideways at her:) --Don't tell me you haven't made any plans as of yet?

SANDI: (Red-faced, indignant:) I do have plans! I--just haven't worked them out yet.

DARREN: Well, I certainly hope you do soon. You do know Quinn aspires to go to the Fashion Institute--? She's been preparing to go there with my help, brushing up on her studies, and starting to take more difficult classes for her junior year in your high school.

SANDI: (Snorts:) Quinn wants to be a "brain" now like your other sister? Ha, that's rich! (Darren cuts a slight scowl at Sandi) Wait 'till I tell Stacy and Tiffany! They'll tell everyone else, and--

DARREN: --Er, Sandi, this is the Fashion Institute--you know, what you're supposed to be an expert in? (Pauses:) Are you telling me that there's something wrong with being a "brain" when it comes to being knowledgeable about fashion?

Sandi frowned at Darren, deep in thought, saying nothing for a long moment. Darren wondered if anything he said had actually gotten through this girl's brain. Sandi then spoke, talking in a low tone.

SANDI: Um, I've--uh, been thinking about my future since you asked me--I'll become a model, or something after high school.

DARREN: Sandi, I have to be honest with you--from what my (adopted) mother told me, it is extremely difficult to make it in the modeling business. I heard from Quinn that an Amazon Modeling Agency came by your school once to see if they could find the next "superstar" model, and I believe that Kevin Thompson guy was chosen--

(Note to reader: See "This Year's Model", of course)

SANDI: (A bit angry:) --I should have been the one to get that contract, not that jock-boy, Kevin! He didn't even finish it out, he was soooo pathetic an' everythin'--

DARREN: (Smirks:) --You know, that's almost the same thing Quinn told me. I guess you two kind of think on the same wavelength, eh? (Sandi glares at Darren for a moment) Look, if you pursue the world of fashion as an occupation, Sandi, then the safest, and eventually most profitable route is something like the courses the Fashion Institute offers, such as Fashion Design, Interior Design, perhaps something like Fashion Merchandise Marketing--

Sandi, of course, was so overwhelmed by the courses Darren had filled her (air)head with, she closed her eyes and began to shake her head violently, unable to take anymore.

SANDI: --Daaaren! Please! Like, can't we talk about the date? I mean, aren't we on that? People on dates talk about looks and charm, and--

DARREN: (Gets a scheming look, thinks he's onto something, remembers the talk he had with Daria about the competitiveness between Quinn and Sandi:) --It's okay, Sandi, we can talk about the "date" if you want--(adds as an faux afterthought, shrugs:) I understand if you believe you can't compete with Quinn in fashion--

That solicited the exact response Darren wanted.

SANDI: (Enraged:) --I can too compete with Quinn, and then some! (Narrows her eyes:) Tell me some more about those courses!

DARREN: (Looking a little smug:) As you wish--

A little ways behind them, in Helen's SUV, Daria, who was driving, and Jane, who was in the passenger seat, were riding. Daria kept cutting her eyes over to her friend, concerned. Jane, her arms crossed, and glared forward, then spoke in an irritated voice.

JANE: Did you see what that little tart was wearing, Daria? Did you? I just know she's probably trying to snuggle up to Darren! The b--

DARIA: --Down, girl. (Smirks:) Darren's car hasn't swerved yet if she's tried that, so we're still in the clear about the "snuggling" thing.

JANE: (Gives a really rare death glare at Daria:) That's not funny, Daria. (Sighs, then looks down, puts her hand on her forehead:) Geez, why in the hell did I allow this? What was I thinking?

DARIA: (Tries to look for words:) Um, sorry--I was just trying to lighten the moment, Jane.

JANE: (Now resuming her old, mischievous way, smirks:) You're trying to lighten a moment, amiga--thought I'd never live to see the day.

DARIA: (Smirks back:) You're the first person to hear me say that--you might not live long enough through the day to repeat it to anyone else. (Pauses:) Seriously, Jane--we've gone over this at least a dozen times since we left Lawndale. Darren likes you, and only you. He's not--I repeat--not interested in Sandi Griffin--I really believe if Sandi Griffin was the only girl in the whole damn universe, he wouldn't be interested in her. Darren's not the type of guy who'd go for a girl like that--you should know that yourself. (Adds:) I think I can say that for sure.

JANE: (Smiles quietly:) Yeah, yeah, you're right. I shouldn't be thinking like this. Darren--likes--me. (Points to hereself:) Me. Damn, I'm lucky. I'm the envy of a lot of girls. (Smirks:) No more feeling any doubts.

DARIA: Okay, then. New subject?

JANE: (Leans back in the seat:) Yeah--go.

DARIA: (Looks at Jane, hesitates, then proceeds:) Uh--Trent.

Jane looked at Daria, surprised, wide-eyed, and feeling a bit delighted, began to grin slowly. Daria, of course, rolled her eyes.

JANE: Oh, what, my dear, dear, Daria, do you wish to ask about my bro?

DARIA: Get your dirty little mind out of the gutter, Lane. It does concern my feelings for Trent, but it's not what you think. (Pauses:) Trent's only--a friend. (Pauses:) Nothing more, nothing less. You can stop playing yenta now.

(Note to the readers, especially the "'shipper" ones: I suppose some of you will believe that I've fallen off my "fence" and are now into the "anti-shipper" camp--and I guess I can't blame you for getting that perception, though I'd still like to think of myself as a something of a "Fence-Sitter". I just believe like Michelle Klein-Hass, the TV show has made it seem that Daria and Trent are now just friends--at least after the third season finale, that "kiss" notwithstanding, and with what seems to be going on in the fourth season, and I'm going with that train of thought--for now.)

Jane's smile slowly faded, then she looked away, and sighed. At least privately, she would not have to feel a little guilty anymore about being able to see Daria's brother while Daria and Trent did not do the same (or neither took the initiative) with each other, and feeling that she was "twisting that knife" into Daria's feeling's for Trent by being with Darren.

JANE: (Shrugs:) Well, it was worth a try. It would have been great to see you two with me and your bro. (Cocks an eyebrow:) You're sure about this?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Positive. Trent and I have different priorities. (Pauses:) His newly-burgeoning music career might take him places--places that I see as not to where I want to go. I'm 99% sure that I'm over Trent.

JANE: (Smirks:) Only 99%? Are you saying--

DARIA: (Smirks back:) --I'm saying that I'll always remember the first uh, um--(turns red because she is telling Jane this for the first time, though Jane heard it first from Darren:) crush that I had was Trent, no matter what happens in the future to me.

JANE: (Slowly nods in an understanding manner:) And if my bro hits it big then--?

DARIA: Then I can say I knew the "Great Rock Star Trent Lane".

JANE: (Raised eyebrows:) That's it?

DARIA: (Mona Lisa smile:) Afraid so. (Pauses, looks at Jane suspiciously:) One question though--have you tried to get Darren to help you get Trent and me together?

JANE: (Faux gasp and indignation:) Moi? Do that to Darren? How could you think of something like that? Why, Daria, I'm so insulted!

DARIA: (Smirks:) You did, didn't you?

JANE: (Snorts:) Yeah, I tried, but your bro didn't bite. He said that you and Quinn could decide on what to do with your own lives, or something to that effect. He said he'd be there for "moral support". (Shrugs:) Sheesh--the boy's got a lot to learn about being a sibling.

DARIA: (Really smirks:) Ah, that's my wise bro. He's everything a sister could hope for in having one.

JANE: (Stares insightfully at Daria for a moment:) Daria, may I ask you a personal question about Darren?

DARIA: (In a curious tone:) Um, sure, Jane--what is it?

JANE: (Quietly:) Have you come to--well--love him as your brother? Like me and Trent?

Daria looked at Jane wide-eyed for the slightest second, and struggled to say something, then saw Darren's car up ahead.

DARIA: Uh, Jane--look. Darren's car has turned into Pastroni's. We're here.

JANE: (After a moment:) You're not gonna answer my question, are you?

DARIA: (Gives Jane her "expressionless expression", in a flat tone:) What do you think, Jane? The answer should be obvious. (Looks off to the side:) Darren and Sandi are going into the swanky joint. Let's join them, shall we?

Jane got out the the now-parked SUV and followed Daria into Pastroni's wordlessly. Behind them, the gray Camry rolled up, and parked in the far corner of the parking lot. The interior light came on, and the man inside started to write something down again, only occasionally looking up and around.

(Scene changes to the front of the Suni Apartments, Los Angeles, the same time)

Gerald Woo's car, with David and Leroy riding in tow behind him in their own car, came up and parked behind a white sportscar on the street. Just as they were going into the buliding, two men, a tall, thin, red-haired goateed man wearing dark sunglasses, and a short, stocky, brown-haired man with a thick beard, also wearing dark sunglasses, came out calmly by them, going to the sportscar, and getting in. Woo stopped for a moment, and looked at them just as he was about to go in. Leroy caught his gaze, while David continued into the building.

LEROY: (Comes up beside Woo, looking in the same direction as well:) Something up, Woo?

WOO: (Still watches the men in the sportscar, which has started up, and is leaving slowly away:) I don't know, Leroy--something seems--familiar about that red-haired man--(narrows his eyes) I--can't--place my finger on it, but--(voice trails off, shakes his head:) it can wait. Let's go inside. (Leroy follows Woo into the building)

Both men found David waiting at the scratched-up and cracked desk with a fat, bald-headed, sweaty-looking man in a tee-shirt, blue jeans, and sandals, holding the newspaper in one hand, and a beer in the other hand. He was smoking a cigar, and scowling. Leroy looked around, and saw that the walls and ceiling seemed to be ready to fall apart at any second. There were cobwebs on the walls as well, and what appeared to be a rather thick coating of dust on the railing that led upstairs. The elevator beside it had an "Out of Order" sign on it--why did that not surprise him? The man then spoke.

MAN: (In a heavy, gravelly voice:) Yeah, what in the hell do you all want? A room to rent for a month, or somethin'?

DAVID: (Leans over to Leroy in a low voice, sarcastic:) What a wonderful welcome we've just received from this rather "respectable-looking" gentleman.

LEROY: (Smirks, in the same voice:) Yeah--it makes you want to get a room for a whole year. I wonder if they do room service here in this "well-refined" establishment?

WOO: (Reaches into his coat pocket, pulls a picture of Sanchez out:) We want no rooms, sir--rather, we're looking for this man--have you seen him? We were told he was (looks around, slightly disgusted) "living" here.

MAN: (Narrows his eyes at the picture, ponders:) Hmmm--yeah--yeah, that's Gonzalez. The damn bastard just paid me the rent he owed--took em' long enough. Said he was gonna hit the freakin' jackpot, or something. (Pauses:) You know, you're the second set of guys who've come to ask for him today. (Woo looks back at David and Leroy, concerned:) Those two guys that just went out past you, wanted to see him, too.

WOO: (Alarmed, suddenly wide-eyed, realizes:) DAMN! (Grabs the man's shirt:) Which room is "Gonzalez" in?

MAN: (Startled:) Hey, lemme go--

WOO: (Now furious, pulls the man to over the desk to him, face-to-face:) WHICH --ROOM?!

MAN: (Terrified:) 3-3-308! I-I-I've got the key! If ya want money, I ain't got much--

WOO: (Turns to David and Leroy:) --Get up to that room--if I'm right, we're too late! (David and Leroy rush up the stairs) You come with us! (Drags man up the stairs with him)

It only took a minute to reach room 308, and when David and Leroy got there, the door was closed, but unlocked. They pushed the door open, and Woo's hunch was right--much to their chagrin. Woo, dragging the man with him, came in behind them and saw the body of "Gonzalez", A.K.A. Julio Sanchez, on the floor, partially hidden on the other side of his bed, with only his legs showing. Woo left the man, and brushed past Leroy and David, going on the other side of the bed to look closer, crouching down. The fat man timidly came up, and looked over the bed with a disgusted look on his face.

MAN: (Gets wide-eyed:) Aw, geez--is he--

WOO: (Looks up gravely at Leroy and David:) --He's dead. A bullet to the head--probably a silencer, since no one in any of the other rooms heard anything. Judging from the position of the body, they did it the moment he turned his head from them, "execution-style".

DAVID: (Almost speechless:) How--how did they know--?

LEROY: (Slowly realizes, turns pale:) That red-haired goateed man--

WOO: (Narrows his eyes at Leroy:) The pizza man. He must've slipped a bug in the office when he came in--that's how they knew where to find Sanchez--we didn't bring any attention to ourselves when we were looking for him--

DAVID: (Looks between the two, begins to realize:) --Wait a second--you're saying--that--guy--(grows angry:) DAMN IT!

MAN: (Puts his hand over his mouth:) I--just--had--pizza--for--lunch--and--it's--comin'--up--(vomits on the bed)

WOO: (Through clenched teeth, rolls his eyes, frustrated and angry:) Wonderful--just--wonderful. (Thought v.o.: This isn't going to be good for Darren--not good at all...)

Go to Chapter 15 ******************************************************************************