Back to Chapter 1

Chapter 15 - Showdown!

(The scene is "Pastroni's", about 30 minutes later)

The dinner with Sandi had actually gone quite well for Darren. He ordered a $60 veal steak, while Sandi had ordered a $75 salmon salad. He had gotten her to talk about going to the Fashion Institute, and not about him, which more than suited Darren, whose mind was still on Sanchez, and whether or not Woo had found anything. He chastized himself privately for not bringing his cell phone, fearing that any sudden "interrupting" calls would anger Sandi, and thusly put Quinn's chances at staying in the Fashion Club at risk. In the meantime, he tried to keep his attention on Sandi as she continued to drone on in her "Valley-girl" voice.

SANDI: --And like, I think I can be sooo much better than Quinn in the Fashion Designer field. (Takes a nibble from her salad)

DARREN: (Shrugs while cutting into his steak:) I suppose. You'll have to bone up on your English, computer, math, public speaking, and drafting in high school to get better grades if you want the Associate of Arts degree. Did you know you need at least a "B" average to get in?

SANDI: (Turns pale:) A "B" average? Quinn told the Fashion Club that you could get her into Circa as an intern, but she didn't say anything about the grades to get into the Fashion Institute! That is like, sooo hard!

DARREN: But true, I'm afraid. (Eats)

SANDI: (Hesitates:) Um, look, Darren--speaking of Circa, Quinn showed us the dress you bought her. It was a "Circa Original".

DARREN: Ah, yes--I remember. (Pauses:) Your point being--?

SANDI: Well, like--it's expensive, right? (Adds after a moment:) Do you have a lot of money, or something? (Darren looks slightly alarmed) I, of course have been to Cashman's many times, and I know for a fact that the dress Quinn had was worth about $800.

DARREN: (Quickly covers himself:) Oh, uh, well--my (adopted) parents left me some money, and I used some of it to buy Quinn that dress.

SANDI: (Not backing off:) But that was an $800 dress! Are you like, a millionaire, or something? How could you afford that?

DARREN: (After a moment:) Sandi, I used a little bit of my money to buy Quinn a--birthday gift. So it cost $800. So what? Here, I'm spending a lot of money on you on this "date".

SANDI: (Smirks:) That's exactly my point. I suspected that you had money when Quinn told us that you brought her that dress, so that's why I wanted you to take me here, and find out if you could afford this, which obviously you could--an' you also offered to give the Fashion Club some money to keep Quinn in. (Narrows her eyes:) How much money do you have, Darren?

Darren looked at Sandi, slightly caught off-guard. This girl had caught on that he seemed to have a lot of money, and wanted to know the amount. He thought about it for a second, then, rapidly formulating a plan in his mind, suddenly chuckled to himself, which Sandi picked up on, then frowned out of perplexity.

SANDI: (Arched eyebrow:) Like, did I say something funny, or something, Darren?

DARREN: (Now in a serious tone, the smile gone from his face:) That depends. (Pauses, narrows his eyes:) Why would you care about how much money I have? Is that what this is really all about?

SANDI: (Wide-eyed, speechless, now caught off-guard herself:) Like, no! I, uh, was just curious, that's all! (Hesitates, then adds hastily:) If you don't want to say anything about how much you have, um, you don't have to!

DARREN: (After eying her over quickly, then satisfied that she seems serious, adds with a ever-so-slight hint of sarcasm:) Good--after all, I wouldn't want to get the wrong idea about your--"real" intentions, now, would I? (Pauses, then talks with an air of nonchalance:) How's your salmon salad?

SANDI: (Looks down at her salad, sheepishly for her:) It's like, uh --delicious.

DARREN: (With the same tone of voice:) Good. (Resumes eating)

Both continued their meal in silence, with Darren secretly relieved about Sandi not delving in any further about his money.

In the meantime, at another table across the dimmed restaurant, just about out of sight of Darren and Sandi (but enough for both Darren and Sandi to be seen by them), Daria and Jane sat at a candlelight table in their regular clothing eating amidst some curious stares from the well-dressed patrons. Both girls occasionally gave their own "intimidating" stares right back, which usually would more than cause the "well-heeled" diners to turn away in fear, and back to their own meals (and business). Both girls had ordered a $30 cheeseburger plate that consisted of onion rings, soda, and fries (usually the plate reserved for kids), which drew an exasperated sigh from the waiter of their table, who had already dreaded serving such "common-looking" people in the first place. Daria, picking up on the waiter's indifference, smirked, and promptly pulled out and waved a $50 bill from the front of her jacket, and pretended to talk to Jane in a deadpan "snooty" voice about the "wonderful" service she "expected" from the "servants" of this "fine establishment" (much to Jane's amusement), and the big tips she usually gave when she came in--of course, this was the first time she was in here--and if Daria would have her way, the last time ever. The waiter's attitude then suddenly changed when he caught sight of the bill, and he was only too glad to serve them, coming up almost every ten minutes to ask if either girl wanted anything, or to inquire if everything was all right while he was constantly filling their glasses with soda. Jane would usually answer with an "a-okay" sign with her hands, (Daria with a slight, affimative nod) and the waiter would eagerly smile, relieved. Both were still eating their burgers when Daria spoke.

DARIA: How's your cheeseburger?

JANE: (With her mouth full:) Eh--it's okay, but it still doesn't beat Cluster Burger, or even the Zen's, for that matter. The onion rings taste like a "rubbery salty tire".

DARIA: Yeah--I think the meat's too damn dry or something. The spit in my mouth is struggling to keep the food moist. I have to keep drinking the soda to "back up" my saliva. (Drinks soda:) Maybe that's why "Jovo" here keeps coming around with his pitcherful of soda to pour--he knows about the crappy food they serve. Hell of a way to waste almost $70.

JANE: (Drinks her soda as well:) Yeah. (Pauses:) By the way, are you really gonna give that poor sap of a waiter a big tip?

DARIA: (Smirks:) If he keeps kissing our asses, I'm thinking about leaving him a $1 tip for all of his "hard" work--I still can't get over that "look-down-my-nose-at-you-two" sneer from him when he first laid his eyes on us, you know. (Bites into burger some more)

JANE: (Smirks:) My, but you're the big tipper, girl. (Sneaks a glance at Darren and Sandi's table:) Everything seems to be on the up and up over at "Table Ground Zero".

DARIA: (Looks in the same direction:) Yeah--Sandi seems to be behaving herself--for the moment, anyway.

JANE: (With a bit of irritation in her voice, which Daria picks up on:) And hopefully, she'll keep it that way. (Lightens up her tone:) So, how much did Darren give you again?

DARIA: About $500 for gas and this, which should leave us with plenty left--no need to worry about washing the dishes if we come up short.

JANE: (Snorts:) Not that we would, anyway--the dishes, that is. (Pauses, frowns slightly, perplexed:) Geez--Darren's really shelling the "moolah" out, isn't he?

DARIA: (Ponders:) Uh-huh--and I've been wondering about that. (Pauses:) Before I left to pick you up, I sneaked a quick peek into Quinn's room after she left for Stacy's--Darren was getting ready in the bathroom while I did this, mind you--I was still kind of worried about my bro's ability to pay for "Miss Congeniality", himself, and you and me for tonight, despite his assurances. I took a real close look at the dress Quinn conned Darren to get her from Cashman's in her closet--

JANE: --The gold one where Darren was coy in not telling us how much he paid for to get Quinn? (Smirks:) Wished you had one like it, eh?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Actually, I was studying it to see if it could fit you so I could bury you in it after I kill you, that bridemaid's dress from my cousin Erin's wedding notwithstanding. (Jane chuckles) Anyway, I looked at the clothes tag on the collar, and saw it was something called a "Circa Original" --ironically the same company Darren's late adopted mom worked at. Anyway, I was able to make a quiet call to Cashman's out of curiousity, and I found out something very interesting--

(Note to reader: The bridesmaid's dress that Daria wore was a "Running Gag" in the episode "I Don't", of course)

JANE: (Grins:) --You found out they had one in your size?

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes:) How about if I just get up from here, pay my tab, and leave you twisting in the wind, my fellow deviant? (Smirks:) Remember, I have the money and the car.

JANE: (Faux pleads, laughs:) Okay, okay! No more snide remarks--(smirks wickedly:) at least on this subject, anyway. Seriously, what'd you find out, amiga?

DARIA: That the dress cost $800. (Jane cocks an eyebrow, surprised, whistles to herself) I think I can safely say that my doubts about Big Bro's possible money problems for tonight have gone out the window. My guess is that his adopted parents left him with a sizable amount of money when they died.

Jane looked away for a moment, deep in thought, then spoke.

JANE: You know, I just thought about something myself, Daria, especially after your little "tip quip" about our kiss-ass waiter--do you remember when Darren called you from Do Me A Donut that morning when he and I first ran into each other following what happened at the Zen the previous night when I--well--kissed him? (Daria frowns, tries to remember) He told you we had breakfast? (Daria then slowly nods, now remembers) Well, while he went to call you after we finished eating, I noticed that he left a hell of a large tip--$20--on the table. (Daria cocks an eyebrow) I pointed it out to him, and he seemed to be shocked when he saw what he tipped, and replaced it with $5. (Pauses:) I didn't think much of it at the time, but do you think he meant to do that, and then took it back when I pointed it out, so he could (hesitates:) cover himself?

DARIA: (After a second:) Hmmm--why would he do that? You don't think he has something to hide concerning the money he has, do you? That wouldn't make any sense. I mean, I don't really give a damn about my bro's money, just--(catches herself)

JANE: (Smirks:) --Just about him, right? (Daria glares at her slightly) Well, neither do I, for the record, pard. (Pauses:) The other night while we were going out to the movie, he tried to buy me--(pauses:) a bouquet of roses. (Daria begins to smirk wickedly) Shut up, don't say a damn thing, you--anyway, it was a sweet gesture, but I said no. Did you know those flowers cost $50 a dozen?

DARIA: Whoa. (Gets in a low voice:) You didn't take one rose at all?

Jane looked away, red-faced. Daria carefully looked over her friend's reaction, then slowly began to give her Mona Lisa smile, which made Jane frown.

JANE: Okay! I let him buy me one rose! (Adds quickly:) I didn't want him to go to all that trouble of spending a whole lot of money on me, all right?

DARIA: (Enjoys this:) Awwww--how romantic--one rose. (Wiggles her eyebrows up and down in a suggestive way:) Did he whisper sweet nothings in your ear, too?

JANE: (Glares:) ANYway, my point is, is that he was willing to spend that much money on me, capeesh? I now agree with you that's he's got to have a sizable amount of money--(pauses:) now that I think about it even more, I can't recall a time that he didn't pay for everything for us since I've come back here from vacation with my mom. I mean with the pizza, the arcade tokens, the movies, this--

Daria looked into space for a moment, frowning, then gave Jane a look that seemed to say, "Is that it?", a look that Jane picked up on immediately.

JANE: (Sounding eager, slowly twirls her hand to will out the answer from Daria:) Sooo--?

DARIA: The Appletons, Jane--somehow or another, their deaths have something to do with Darren having money. (Jane ponders this) Hmmm--Darren said his adopted mom worked for Circa clothing, which we've since found out is part of Appleton Industries, right? (Jane nods) He said his adopted dad worked in computers, and Appleton has a computer division--

JANE: (Cuts her off:) --Daria, are you saying that both of Darren's adopted parents worked for Appleton Industries, and that somehow or another they were beneficiaries when those filthy-rich "Appleton" people died?

DARIA: It makes sense when you think about it, Jane. The question we know is--how did Darren's adopted parents die? They weren't in the same crash as that "Arthur Jr." guy's parents unless--unless--(slowly gets a look of realization on her face:) no--that's nuts--(looks at Jane uneasily:) isn't it?

JANE: (Hangs on Daria's every word:) What? What?

DARIA: (Tries to convey her words:) That--that--those--those--"Appleton" people who died in that jet plane crash were Darren's adopted parents? (Jane stares at Daria, stunned, her mouth agape)

(Scene changes to the Suni Apartments, the hallway outside of Sanchez's room, about the same time)

The body of the late Julio Sanchez, now covered in a bodybag and on a stretcher, was being rolled out of his room. Meanwhile, Leroy, David and the fat man were leaning on the cracked plaster wall talking to a police officer in the hallway when the body rolled by. The fat man took a glance at it, and promptly began to vomit again, this time on the floor. David, Leroy, and the officer looked at the fat man, rolled their eyes, disgusted, and shook their heads slowly. Several people down the hallway who were held back by another officer, presumably the other tenants, turned their heads away in disgust, more by the fat man's display of "tact" (or lack of it), rather than by the sight of the body, for they had seen many bodybags on stretchers before in this run-down hellhole of a building, some from drug overdoses, some from murder. The custodian, an old man in a tanktop and baggy beige pants, and who had cleaned the bedsheet that the fat man had vomited on earlier upon seeing Sahchez's dead body, was allowed to come up and clean the contents. He glared at the fat man while sprinkling some powder on the vomit, and spoke.

CUSTODIAN: This is absolutely the very last damn time that I'll do this, you lousy, cheap-paying, fat slob! Have you got no stomach, or something? (The fat man glares back briefly at the custodian while wiping his mouth, embarassed, while Leroy, David, and the cop chuckle quietly)

Meanwhile, Gerald Woo sat in a chair in the middle of Sanchez's room, rolling his eyes, while a scruffy-looking, black and grey-haired short man in a ruffled black suit, presumably a police detective, stood in front of him, writing on a notepad, while a poilce photographer was nearby, taking pictures of the apartment, now a crime scene. The detective then spoke in an annoyed, angry tone.

DETECTIVE: (Frowns:) Damn it, Woo! Why in the hell didn't you tell us when you found out that Sanchez wasn't everything he seemed to be after you discovered he worked on that fuel line on the Appleton's plane at LAX? We could've hauled his ass into the damn station, and found out who hired him!

WOO: (Through clenched teeth:) I told you, Lt. Keller, I had only circumstantial evidence! That's why I wanted to find Sanchez, and get him to tell us who hired him! Don't you realize that if you had put out a full-scale manhunt on Sanchez, that it would've alerted whoever hired him to silence Sanchez--

LT. KELLER: (Cuts Woo off, his voice even louder:) --Which happened ANYWAY! It didn't make a damn bit of difference, Woo!

WOO: (His voice becoming louder, which is rare for him:) Only because they sneaked an electronic bug into my office, which I obviously didn't know about, and found out where Sanchez was! (Adds:) I called my secretary Carla to look for it and any others while you guys were coming over here, and she found only one under the front lip of her desk--

LT. KELLER: (Still loud:) --And that doesn't do us a whole damn lot of good now, does it?

WOO: (Ditto:) You can check it for fingerprints!

LT. KELLER: (Glares:) Oh, we'll do that, don't you worry--not that I suspect that that will do any good, either! (Pauses, looks down at his notepad:) We have an A.P.B. out on the suspects that you, your men, and fat-nasty out there described, as well as the sportscar they were in, with the license number "TAFKA". (Looks up, narrows his eyes:) Who's your client, Woo?

(Note to reader: "A.P.B." means "All points bulletin"--duh!)

Woo took a deep breath, then spoke.

WOO: I'd--rather not divulge that information right now, Lt. Keller --only to say that my client is--associated with Appleton Industries. (Lt. Keller frowns)

LT. KELLER: "Associated", huh? May I ask why you don't want to tell me, Woo?

WOO: On the simple fact that my client's life could be in danger if I do.

LT. KELLER: In danger, eh? Are you saying that this "client" of yours is working at Appleton right now?

WOO: Actually, no, but still, I think it's best if he or she stays in the background, for now.

LT. KELLER: (Ponders:) Uh-huh. Background, you say. (Adds with a bit of a sneer in his tone of voice:) Well, I'm wondering if you think that whoever hired Sanchez might go after your client, since he or she was the one that hired you to find Sanchez and expose them? You were bugged, remember? Is it possible you or your men might've leaked something that whoever hired Sanchez overheard, and that could possibly threaten your client?

WOO: (After a moment:) I--don't think so.

LT. KELLER: (Snorts:) Yeah--right. We could protect your client, you know.

WOO: (Cocks an eyebrow:) From what, Lt. Keller? Do you honestly think that whoever did this would go after my client if they knew the police or even the F.B.I. were protecting him or her? No, my client's safe where they are, and even if they took the protection you offered, they could feel like they were in a bubble, possibly for the rest of their lives, looking constantly over their shoulder. (Pauses, thinks a second more:) Forget it.

LT. KELLER: (After staring at Woo for a long moment:) Is that your final answer?

WOO: (Smirks:) Is this "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", now? (Lt. Keller gives Woo a warning look) Sorry. Look, it's possible now that whoever did this might not go after my client since Sanchez, the one obstacle who could've exposed them, is dead.

LT. KELLER: (Gives Woo a look of doubt:) Do you really believe that?

Woo slowly looked at Lt. Keller, deep in thought, then spoke.

WOO: (Sighs:) I don't know what to believe. (Pauses:) All I know is, is that I failed my client, and I don't like having that feeling.

LT. KELLER: Who does? What do you have to lose, Woo? Tell us who he or she is, so we can protect them.

WOO: It's not that simple, Lt. Keller. You see, my client is staying with their birth family, a family that is laying their eyes on my client for the first time ever, due to a rather tragic set of circumstances. In fact, my client's birth family doesn't know who my client really is. If I tell you who it is, they'd know, too, and it could create a bit of a--messy situation, what, with all of the questions that would be asked by them, and such, not to mention that my client's birth family could be put in danger themselves.

LT. KELLER: Hm. That does rather complicate things, doesn't it? (Adds:) You do realize that I could get a court order and force you or your men to disclose who your client is?

WOO: (In a cool tone, leans back in the chair:) Of course--the choice is yours--if I or my men cooperate, that is. (Smirks smugly)

Woo's tone frustrated Lt. Keller, having heard this before.

LT. KELLER: You and your men aren't going to cooperate, are you? (Woo slowly shakes his head no, then Lt. Keller adds:) Are you willing to risk jail time to prove your freaking point? (Woo slowly nods his head yes) Woo, we've known each other for how long--15 years, now?

WOO: Just about--and this means--what?

LT. KELLER: (Glares, sighs:) It means I'm wasting my time, having seen you do something like this on several occasions before for your clients. (Through clenched teeth:) Go, get the hell out, Woo. (Woo gets up and starts to leave) Oh, and by the way--(Woo stops, then turns to Lt. Keller, who gives Woo a warning look:) your ass is grass if your client dies, got that? (Gets into Woo's face:) I'll come down so hard on you, you'll wish that you had never even became a detective, that you never even came into this city, that you were never even BORN!

WOO: (Cooly, smirks, looks up:) Let's see--that's now a hundred times you've given me this threat, right? (Lt. Keller turns red with rage) I'm still here--(looks Lt. Keller in the eye, now in a serious tone:) and my client will be too--count on it. (Leaves the room)

Woo walked out of the apartments with Leroy and David, while several TV reporters and cameras tried to go past them into the apartments, and promptly got into an argument with two officers who were trying to keep them out. Woo made a quick motion with his head, and both men gathered with him in front of his car.

WOO: (In a low voice:) You know the drill--Keller will send some men to follow us so he can try and locate our client. (Leroy and David give curt nods) Of course, he doesn't know that our client is on the other side of the country, so we're okay for now. Go straight to your homes, gentlemen, and rest. We'll meet at the office at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning--following another bug sweep of the office, of course.

DAVID: (In the same tone:) Woo, what do we do about Darren Appleton?

WOO: (Sighs, shrugs, starts to sound depressed:) I'll have to inform him that Sanchez is dead, and we'll have to figure out our next move. (Pauses:) I'm willing to guess that this whole thing is not over yet.

LEROY: Do you think Darren's going to be the next target, Woo?

WOO: I'm almost sure of it for some reason, Leroy, though I don't know when they'll go after him. I'm working on a small hunch in my mind, but it's going to have to wait for the time being. (Bites his lower lip, looks around after a long moment:) For the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to break the news to Darren--(gets a pained look on his face, voice goes down to a whisper:) this is the most difficult thing I've ever had to do--something like this has never happened before. Damn it, we were used to find someone so they could be killed! (Frowns:) Used--and you know how much I hate that! We must look like fools! (Pauses, narrows his eyes:) No, scratch that--I must look like a fool!

DAVID: (In a soothing tone:) Woo, we didn't know--

WOO: (Now enraged, cuts him off:) --BUT WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, DAVID! THERE WAS NO EXCUSE! (David and Leroy are taken aback by Woo's tone, and the reporters and officer stop their argument and look at Woo, startled) (Woo goes into a whisper again:) I should have known. Now, we might not catch whoever did this, and it's all my fault. All of that searching and hard work, gone up in smoke. (Suddenly brushes past Leroy and David, gets into his car, and starts it up)

LEROY: (Goes up to driver's side window:) Woo! Hey, man--

Woo simply stared forward for a moment, then slowly looked at Leroy. To Leroy, it was a look of defeat, a look of wariness, a cold look, one devoid of any feeling.

WOO: Tomorrow. 7:00 a.m. Remember. (Suddenly takes off, and Leroy jumps back, just barely)

A female reporter holding a microphone came up to both shocked men, followed by a cameraman, who was filming them.

REPORTER: (Smirks, shoves the microphone in David's face:) I thought I recognized that man! That's the detective Gerald Woo, isn't it? You two work for him, don't you? (Realizes:) Say, you came out of the Suni Apartments, right? What happened in there? We heard someone was murdered!

David and Leroy simply looked at each other expressionessly and got into David's car. The reporter followed David as he got into the driver's seat.

REPORTER: (Annoyed:) Hey, all I'm asking is a question, here!

DAVID: (Starts his car up, glares at the reporter:) And I'll give you an answer here--take a hike, Lois Lane! (Speeds off, leaves the reporter and the cameraman in a cloud of smoke, coughing)

(Scene is now in Helen's SUV, on a highway, about 30 minutes later)

Daria and Jane were following Darren and Sandi again, this time going to The Haven nightclub. Nothing more was said between Daria and Jane concerning Daria's startling revelation that Darren had to be the adopted son of the deceased Appletons during dinner--in fact, nothing else was said at all while the girls finished their food, occasionally looking over at the table where Darren and Sandi were, privately wondering amongst themselves about Darren. True to her word, Daria left $1 as a tip for the waiter, and a written tip on a napkin beneath the dollar--"Improve your damn attitude sir, and you can improve your damn lot in life--hell, anything's possible". The two girls now sat in the SUV in an uneasy silence. Jane then broke it, cutting her eyes over at Daria.

JANE: (Hesitant:) Um--Daria?

DARIA: (Ditto:) Er, what, Jane?

JANE: Ah, why didn't we kinda just ask Darren if he's that "Arthur Appleton Jr." guy? (Adds:) I thought you would've gotten up and went over to their table, and you know--?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Funny--I was thinking the same thing about you. (Sighs:) Two reasons I didn't, Jane--(1) he's with Sandi--if we confronted him, it could mess up Quinn's standing in the Fashion Club if she saw us, and (2) I want to be absolutely sure he is the mysterious "Arthur Appleton Jr.". (Pauses:) If you're game, I'd like to check on a few things tomorrow, okay? We don't want to be wrong about this, and I'd rather we'd want to have overwhelming evidence on our side.

JANE: (Grows quiet:) Yeah, yeah, you're right--good idea. Geez--he's gotta have a good reason if he's that "Appleton" guy, right?

DARIA: (Looks distant:) I--guess. I should have detected all of the clues he was inadvertently giving me, with all of the hesitation in trying to tell me the truth, his wanting me to "overlook" certain things, and it's--that--well--

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) --Gooo ooon--

DARIA: --If he's been--misleading us--

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) --Oh, now, you're being coy, Daria--you really want to say "lying, to us"--(Daria glares at Jane) but I'm willing to listen, anyway--

DARIA: --IF he's been misleading us, then I wonder if he's been misleading us about what happened with his fiancee Stephanie Reardon, and well--(in a very low voice:) whether or not he's really proud that I'm--his sister.

Jane looked at Daria, stunned at her remark, actually more by Daria's candor than by Daria's wondering about Darren's brotherly pride over his sister or about Darren's late fiancee. Daria had always been a master at hiding her feelings, though Jane could ever-so-slightly see the subtle twitches in her best friend's facial and vocal features whenever Daria would convey her opinion about something. Here, it was a feeling of disappointment, of being let down a little by her brother. Whatever the case, Jane, privately believing in Darren's reasons in possibly pretending he was someone else for her own reasons, had to stop her friend's slowly forming doubts, or risking seeing Daria's cynical nature, which had actually gone down some, thanks to Darren's presence, come back with a vengeance. Quietly, but confidently, Jane spoke.

JANE: Look, Daria--I don't know what to think about why or if Darren has done what he's done. I do believe that he is telling us the truth about Stephanie Reardon--there's really no reason he'd lie about something like that. And girl, there's no way in hell that I can believe he lied to you about his being proud that you're his sister. He beamed with pride when he talked about you to me, the same for Quinn, though he seemed even more enthusiastic about you and your writing. Remember, he told the Fashion Club --the Fashion Club, mind you--that Quinn was his cousin, and not you--that in itself was proof enough for me.

DARIA: (Sighs:) I--suppose, Jane--(pauses:) you--you're not angry over Darren and what he's possibly done, are you?

JANE: (After a moment of silence, in a quiet tone:) Daria--he saved my life. How could I get "angry" over someone who did that? I'm kind of confused over what he did, IF he did it, yeah--but I like him--period. He's a great guy. (The corner of Daria's mouth turns up ever-so-slightly) Like I said, he's gotta have a good reason if he pretended to be someone else. We'll just find out once and for all tomorrow, (adds, looks determined:) and even if he is this "Arthur Appleton Jr.", well, it's not gonna change a damn thing for me, and how I'm starting to feel about him. (Daria cocks an eyebrow, then Jane sighs) Sorry--I guess liking someone does that sort of thing to you.

DARIA: (After a moment:) I guess it does, oh "Partner-In-Crime". Now when I think about it, you're right--he is mine and Quinn's bro, and my mom and dad's son--the DNA tests confirmed that--so I guess he does have a good reason to do what he did--at least I hope he does--

JANE: (Smirks:) --IF he's "Arthur Appleton Jr."--

DARIA: (Ditto:) --IF he's "Arthur Appleton Jr.". (Narrows her eyes, realizes:) Hmmm--I just thought about something else concerning my Big Bro--

JANE: --I'm almost afraid to ask, but do go on.

DARIA: I'm wondering if he's "Arthur Appleton Jr.", then if he's also our "Mysterious Benefactor". (Jane frowns, deep in thought) It would make a certain amount of sense, here. He was with me when I talked to Trent and Mystik Spiral in the cellar when they came back from their "tour". He knew about the guy's disdain for insurance, though I'll admit he didn't know about their disdain of banks, at least I don't think so. The only other problem I can think of with all of this is that he didn't know you or Trent at the time, so he couldn't have given the band that money for you. (Pauses:) Sooo --why would he do that if he did it?

JANE: (Shrugs:) I guess that's something else we can mark down when we check tomorrow. (Glances in the passenger side mirror absentmindedly:) Hmmm--call me crazy--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Okay, "Crazy"--what's up?

JANE: (Still looks in the mirror:) Is it my imagination, or have those same headlights behind us at a distance been following us since we left Pastroni's?

DARIA: (Now glances in the driver side and rearview mirrors:) I don't know--headlights are just headlights to me. How can you tell?

JANE: I dunno--I could've sworn those were the same headlights, that's all. (Shrugs, looks forward:) Ah, it's probably just eating too much dried cheeseburger.

DARIA: Or eating too many rubbery-tasting onion rings. Hey, we're here at this uppity-disco dance hall. Strap yourself in for "stupidity personified". (Gets out with Jane)

Darren and Sandi walked into the vestibule to the high-class teen-oriented nightclub, where they promptly met a huge, muscle-bound bald man with an earring, probably a bouncer, to Darren almost as large as that "Rocco" he met that night in the Zen. The man had a stern look on his face, with his arms crossed, looking Darren and Sandi over. Another man, much smaller and thinner, with a bony face, and obviously wearing a toupee, came from behind him, and took the money that Darren paid ($50 each for him and Sandi), and let them by. A minute later, Daria and Jane came up. By this time, several other people were in line ahead of and behind them, waiting to get in. Jane, in front of Daria, leaned back to her, and spoke.

JANE: (Glances at the man, in a low voice:) Hellooo--King Kong at 12:00.

DARIA: (Smirks, in the same voice:) Hmmm--I wonder if that guy could take on your "good buddy" Rocco?

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Pardon? How, my dear friend, is Rocco my "good buddy"?

DARIA: If it wasn't for Rocco, you wouldn't kave kissed my bro in the Zen, and you two would've never gotten together. (Jane rolls her eyes, blushes slightly) Ahhh, "Fate" occurs in the strangest of ways.

JANE: If that's "Fate" with Rocco, I'd rather take my chances with "Luck"--it sounds like a hell of a better term.

Both girls moved up in the line, and came to the big man, who took one look at the two and smirked.

MAN: Huh--you two don't look like you belong here. (Daria and Jane frown)

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Wow--you've read my mind--I was thinking the exact same thing about you--I think you'd be right at home in one of those scientific research labs--I hear they're looking for muscle-bound lamebrains who show off their usual inordinate amounts of stupidity to compare to the superior intelligence of the amoebas that are in those little petrii dishes. If you call now, I'm sure that the scientists there will make an appointment for you--(glances cooly at the now-scowling man, while Jane smirks, and couples behind them snicker:) though in your case, they'll take one look at you, and probably hire you on the spot.

MAN: (Furious:) Why you little--just for that, you can--

Daria pulled out $200 from her pocket (part of the money Darren had given her), and waved it just as the other man came from behind the large man. The smaller man's eyes lit up when he saw Daria's money.

SMALL MAN: Well, just don't stand there, Curly--(Jane snickers a little at the name, and whispers something into Daria's ear, and Daria smirks) let these two young ladies through!

CURLY: (Red-faced:) But Mr. Shaw--

MR. SHAW: (Scowls, cuts him off:) --No buts, Curly! Let them through, okay? (Frowning, Curly lets a smirking Daria and Jane by) I'm so sorry about that scene, ladies--enjoy yourselves.

Daria gave Mr. Shaw $100, and Jane looked around to Curly, who was still watching them with a surly look, and spoke, smirking.

JANE: Hey "Curly"--say hello to Moe and Larry for us, will you? I just loved those scenes where Moe smacked you upside the head when you did something stupid--which, now when I think about it, usually occured all of the time--nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! (Walks off with Daria, and both follow Mr. Shaw, while Curly clenches his teeth at them for a second, then grudgingly goes back to checking out the patrons who are still in line.)

Both girls walked into a huge, open room packed with young people. Unlike the Zen or even the slightly better-kept McGrundy's, this place was basically clean in appearance, with a section of tables and a bar on the side (that sold only non-alcoholic drinks--this is a teen-oriented nightclub, mind you), and brightly-colored walls and floors, with flashing neon lights. The patrons were "ordinary-looking" (as opposed to the Goth-looking teenagers in the Zen), and clean-cut, (though most of the young ladies were wearing skimpy dresses similar to Sandi's) or as either Daria or Jane would label them, "Preppies". TLC's Unpretty was playing, and everyone was dancing to the beat. Mr. Shaw turned to the girls and shouted over the loud music.

MR. SHAW: Well, here we are, ladies! Enjoy yourselves! If you need anything, just call me!

DARIA: (Just as loud, looks around at the scantily-dressed girls:) What should we call you--"The Head Pimp"?! (Jane smirks)

MR. SHAW: (Leans over to Daria:) What?! I still can't hear you! Ah, it doesn't matter! Have fun, ladies! (Leaves, while Daria rolls her eyes)

JANE: (Looks around with Daria, in her loud voice:) What do you want to do, Daria?!

DARIA: (Ditto:) Actually, to get the hell out of here, but since I can't, let's go over to that phony bar for some fake martinis, or something!

JANE: Sounds perfectly reasonable, amiga! (Follows Daria, but steals a look in the crowd for Darren while she does)

Meanwhile, after coming in, (by which Sandi had gotten stares from jealous girls who swooned after Darren, something Sandi had anticipated and thoroughly enjoyed seeing), Darren and Sandi had started to dance, though it seemed to Sandi that Darren's heart was not in it, for he kept looking around, as if he were trying to find someone (Jane and Daria, of course). She spoke in a mildly annoyed tone, above the throng of humanity.

SANDI: Darren! Like, is there something wrong?! You look like you're dis--dis--distracted, or something!

DARREN: (Quickly looks back down at Sandi:) Eh?! Oh, I'm just uh--looking at how big a crowd is in here, that's all! This Haven can really pack them in, huh?!

SANDI: (Shrugs, gives a quick look around herself:) I, like, guess! I heard it's always like this! (Gets a wicked smirk:) Come on--show me what you can really do, Darren! (Suddenly snuggles up against him, in a gyrating motion)

Darren's eyes lit up as wide as they could get, and he froze at Sandi's rather--suggestive dance movements for a moment, then backed off, shocked, while people around them continued to dance.

DARREN: (Now stops dancing, scowls:) Sandi! What do you think you're doing?!

SANDI: (Scowls herself as well as stopping her dancing, too:) I'm like, trying to get you to have some fun, Darren! It is part of the "deal", remember?!

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes, in a firm tone:) No--the "deal" was for me to go out with you so you wouldn't kick Quinn out of the Fashion Club, nothing more, nothing less! Trying to do--(motions:) this wasn't a part of it! I told you I have a girlfriend, Sandi! Maybe you're used to going out with guys who don't give a damn about two-timing their girlfriends, but I won't do that to Jane, got that?!

SANDI: (Pouts:) Hey, you don't have to, like, be so postal about it, okay?! I won't do that anymore, if you feel so strongly about it!

DARREN: (Calms down somewhat:) I do! (Sighs:) Now--are you ready to continue without the--"intimate" contact?!

SANDI: (Rolls her eyes:) I, like--guess! (Begins to dance again with Darren, though at a bit of a further distance from him)

Daria and Jane went up to the "bar", and sat down. The "bartender", a brown-haired woman in her early twenties, came to them, talking over the current loud music.

BARTENDER: What'll it be, ladies?!

DARIA: (Puts her hand on her forehead, and her elbows on the counter:) An asprin and some water, please--and a tommy-gun to quiet this damn crowd! (Jane smirks, but so does the "bartender", who reaches under the bar counter and gives Daria the asprin and a small glass of water, which surprises Daria a little)

BARTENDER: Yeah, it is pretty loud in here, isn't it?! It's like this most of the week, but especially the weekends, as you might imagine! (Looks at Jane:) What will you have?!

JANE: Gimmie a club soda, bartender! (The "bartender" does so) You seem to be the first "normal" person here we've met since we came into this "preppy-rathole"! Is this just a part-time job for you, or something?!

BARTENDER: (While giving Jane the soda:) Yep! I go to a college nearby, and this "job" provides me with some extra dough, though I could use a little more cash from that miser of an owner, Shaw! Did you guys meet him when you came in?!

DARIA: You mean that ol' Hugh Hefner wannabe?! (Smirks:) Yeah--we were escorted in by him--I waved some money in his face, and he drooled at it! (Pauses:) He's a regular bloodhound when it comes to getting money, huh?!

BARTENDER: Uh-huh! Too bad he doesn't give it out as much! I'd quit, but this is the nearest best-paying job to my college! You sure you don't want anything else?!

DARIA: (Shrugs:) Well, I suppose I can get something else--give me a root beer! (The "bartender" does so)

Just as the music was dying down and changing to another, quieter song, two teen-age boys, one, a tall fellow with a ring in his eyelid, and the other, a short one with a crewcut, came up to the bar, with the tall one going over to Daria, and the shorter one going over to Jane. Both boys had leering looks.

TALL BOY: (Grins, gets into a "seductive" tone:) Hello, ladies! (Looks around:) Are you two all alone in this big ol' place?

DARIA: (Deadpan, looks around as well, sarcastic:) Gosh, I think we are, but I could be mistaken, you know. I suppose if one eliminates all of these people in this building that are here right now, including the bartender, here--we would be alone. Otherwise, I can't be too sure. (Narrows her eyes at the boy:) What do you think?

TALL BOY: (Grin slowly goes from his face, looks foolish:) Oh, uh--yeah--right. What I meant was, did you two come here alone?

JANE: (Smirks:) Nope--we came here with each other--(raises her eyebrow up and down in a suggestive way:) if you know what I mean. (Daria looks at Jane out of the corner of her eye, and smirks ever-so-slightly)

SHORT BOY: (Looks between Jane and Daria, alarmed:) Y-you mean you two--

DARIA: --Uh-huh--alone. Just-me-and-her.

TALL BOY: (Frowns:) Crap. Sorry, uh, excuse us--(leaves quickly with the short boy while the "bartender" smirks)

BARTENDER: May I ask you two a question?

DARIA: (While drinking her root beer, looks at Jane, who nods while drinking her club soda:) You may proceed.

BARTENDER: (Leans on the counter:) Are you two, well--

DARIA: --No, we're not. That idiot asked if we came here alone, and Jane told him the truth. We did come here with each other, and not alone--

JANE: (Shrugs:) --It's not our fault if that guy and his friend took it the wrong way.

BARTENDER: (Grins:) Oh, I see--shrewd, ladies. So, you two are just hanging out, or what?

DARIA: Try the "what". Actually, my bro and (motions at Jane:) her boyfriend are out there fulfilling an "obligation" to my sister--

JANE: (Frowns:) --By being with a damn she-wolf.

BARTENDER: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Now I am curious. What's up?

Daria and Jane looked at each other, then Jane began to explain.

At the same moment, a small, tan car came into the Haven parking lot, and drove past the grey Camry with the man in it. He looked at it, and then did a bit of a double-take when he saw who was getting out of it after it had parked. Quinn, Tiffany, and the driver, Stacy, got out. All three were dressed to kill. Quinn wore a white, off-the-shoulder sequin dress, Tiffany, a green, short-sleeved rhinestone dress, and Stacy, a light blue, long-sleeved sheer dress.

STACY: (Nervous along with Tiffany:) Gosh, Quinn--are you sure about this? I mean, I don't know if we should stand up to Sandi!

TIFFANY: Yeah...

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Stacy! Tiffany! We're not gonna be doing any of that, okay? All I sayin' is that we kind of "run into" Sandi with Darren! I mean, she didn't tell you about what she was gonna do, right? (Narrows her eyes:) Do you guys think that was fair to you? (Stacy and Tiffany look at each other, ponder Quinn's words) Besides, she abused her office when she made that "deal" with my bro to keep me in th' Fashion Club! (Then as an afterthought, adds:) I know you two were--attracted to Darren, and Sandi competed with you over my bro, and outmanuvered you to get to him! Do you want her to get away with that? (Pauses:) Hey, I know what I did was wrong when you all first met Darren, but do you think what she did was any better?

STACY: (Looks down, still unsure:) I--guess that's true, Quinn--

TIFFANY: (Ditto:) I...suppose...you've...got...a...point...Quinn--

QUINN: (Smirks:) Damn straight I do! (Pauses:) Look, it's not like we'll be confronting her together at first, so she can't say that you're defying her by being with me, 'cause she doesn't know that we came in together! Remember the plan--I'll come up on her first, then you two "happen" to come up behind me.

STACY: O-okay, Quinn--d-did you really mean it when you said you'd pay for us?

QUINN: (Sighs:) Of course I did, Stacy! My dad let me use his credit card to get some cash, an' I have it right here! (Shows the cash to them) Now, let's carry out "Operation Cookiejar", okay? (Leads the two girls to the club with a determined look on her face, and all three pay Mr. Shaw and go into the club past "Curly", who is ogling at them until Mr. Shaw whacks him on the back and motions him to continue to check out the customers)

Meanwhile, Daria and Jane were finishing telling the story to the "bartender", who whistled in awe.

BARTENDER: Oh boy--and you're (looks at Jane:) allowing your boyfriend to do this? Girl, that takes guts.

JANE: (Snorts, rolls her eyes:) Don't forget a healthy dose of stupidity. I'm not giving my permission to allow Sandi Griffin to date Darren for my health, you know--(frowns:) and if Sandi's smart, she'll be able to keep hers if she behaves.

BARTENDER: (Smirks:) Then I suppose you're allowing it for Daria's sister? (Daria now smirks herself, while Jane gags.)

JANE: (Puts her hand on her forehead, shuts her eyes, sighs:) Don't remind me. It's just that, well--

Quinn suddenly came up beside Daria, Jane and the "bartender", surprising both girls, sitting up beside them at the counter, and smirking.

QUINN: Hiiii, guys! (Daria and Jane roll their eyes)

DARIA: Speaking of which--say hello to my sister, Quinn. (Smirks sinisterly:) Say "hello" to the nice bartender, "siiis". (Quinn glares at Daria, while Jane gives a very smug look at Quinn)

QUINN: (Remembers her new "agreement" with Daria over saying Daria's her sister in public, now:) Uh--hi, sis--Jane, um--(looks away and around quickly)

BARTENDER: (Cocks an eyebrow, smirks:) --Just call me your "bartender"--did you want something to wet your whistle, honey?

QUINN: (Puts her hand up:) Um, no thanks.

BARTENDER: (Notices:) Excuse me, gals--other customers. (Leaves to the other side of the bar)

DARIA: Behold--it's an illusion of disastrous proportions, Jane. Quinn, what in the hell are you doing here?

QUINN: What does it look like, Daria?

DARIA: (Looks over the way Quinn's dressed:) It seems to me that you're trying to allow dollar bills to be placed in your dress for a free show. (Jane smirks)

QUINN: (Frowns:) Oh, you're really funny, Daria.

DARIA: No, seriously, why are you here? I thought you were going to join "Laverne and Shirley" for an "overnight clandestine fashion-ego booster get-together", or something. Aren't you concerned about what mom and dad will do if they call over at Stacy's to check on you? You might not ever leave home again until you're 21.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Daaaaria! You gotta remember that mom and dad are at home alone, an' are--(shudders, disgusted look:) you know--they're gonna be so into each other, (ick) the last thing they'll think about is me! Besides, the curfew is off for tonight, remember? Oh, and if you're worried about a guy bringing me here an' breakin' my stupid punishment rules an' stuff, it's cool--Stacy drove her mom's car, and me an' Tiffany rode with her here.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Well, you were the last thing I was thinking about while I was sitting here with Jane. (Quinn narrows her eyes and glares at Daria while Jane smirks) Anyway, what about the Rowes? Don't you think they might think something's amiss when their daughter and her friends are missing from their humble abode?

QUINN: (Smirks:) Stacy's parents are out of town for the weekend, an' the Rowes trust their daughter--

JANE: --Unlike Helen and Jake not trusting you? (Daria smirks)

QUINN: (Glares at Jane:) Hey! You're one to talk, you know! You're trusting Darren to be with Sandi!

JANE: Only to keep you in the Fashion Club so you can go to your "little" Fashion Institute, and for the record, it's Sandi that I don't trust with Darren!

DARIA: Back to my original question--why are you here, Quinn? Jane and I are keeping an eye on Sandi, so what's the deal?

QUINN: (Smirks:) I'm gonna get back at Sandi--do you know that Tiffany an' Stacy didn't know about what she's done, other than me bein' on fashion sabbatical? Sandi's abusin' her office!

JANE: (Faux alarm:) Uh-oh--time to impeach the "prez"--

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) --"What does President Griffin know, and when did she know it?" Will the trial be conducted in front of a "Fashion Tribunal"? If so, I'll inform the media for you--

QUINN: (Gets up off the barstool:) --Laugh if you must--

JANE: --Oh, we will--

QUINN: --But I gotta expose Sandi! Excuse me! (Goes off into the crowd)

DARIA: "Expose" Sandi? If that's the case, all she has to do is touch Sandi's flimsy dress, and it would fall off for the ultimate exposure!

JANE: Of course, if someone would do that to Quinn, the same thing would happen--

DARIA: --To Quinn and all the other scantily-clad girls in this place. If guys want to get their fill of "hoochie", they've come to the right place here.

JANE: Tell me about it. (Changes tone, scans crowd:) Seen Darren yet?

DARIA: (Also scans:) No, not--hold it--there he is--over there. (Points to the left side of the room:) You see them now?

JANE: (Narrows her eyes:) Nooot yet--yeah! (Pauses:) He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself--this really makes me feel relieved, you understand.

DARIA: (Scans, smirks:) He's got "Jane on the brain", I told you that. (Scans some more:) Ah, now the fun begins--look over to the center of the room. (Jane follows Daria's lead) There's Quinn dancing "towards" Darren and Sandi from the center, with a barrelful of boys "sniffing" behind her--

JANE: (Brightens up:) Ooh--and there's Tiffany and Stacy with a handful of boys dancing "towards" Darren and Sandi from the right side! Y'know, this should actually prove interesting, amiga.

DARIA: (Smirks:) And here I thought we were gonna be bored out of our skulls. (Eyes bowlful of peanuts, gets it, passes it to Jane:) Nuts?

JANE: (Takes the bowl:) Hey, thanks--that dry burger didn't fill me up. (Starts munching:) How perfectly appropiate--eating nuts while watching them--save for Darren, of course.

DARIA: (While munching as well:) That's not quite true for my Big Bro--after all, he's "nuts" for you--(Jane smirks) now, let the show begin.

Sandi had tried to entice Darren with her suggestive dance movements, but he had not bitten at her "bait", even when the two slow-danced, for he was the perfect gentleman while he held her--much to her chagrin. He kept his hands lightly on her back and shoulders, but that was about it--no attempts to "lower" them. She had tried to once again lean up against him, but he gently held her back at a respectable distance--several times, in fact. This was becoming like a game--and Sandi was losing. It was getting frustrating to Sandi--here, she was the envy of many of the girls who had watched the two come in, and she couldn't take full advantage of him in front of them. Sandi was thinking about trying one more trick, when suddenly a girl "bumped" into Darren from the back. Sandi looked around Darren, who had not looked around himself yet, and frowned. Several people stopped dancing, and watched, and in the meantime, the music had started to die down as well.

SANDI: Quinn! What are you doing here?!

DARREN: (Surprised:) Quinn?! Where'd you come from?!

QUINN: (Faux shock, gasps:) Darren! Sandi! This is a surprise! It's a small world, isn't it?!

SANDI: (Narrows her eyes:) I don't know what's going on here, but I think you're up to something! Did you know we were going to be here?!

QUINN: ("Innocent" look on here face:) What?! I don't know what you're talking about Sandi! Hi, bro!

DARREN: Uh, hi, Quinn--I thought you were with-- (flinches when he's bumped from behind again:) eh? (Looks behind him:) Stacy? Tiffany?

SANDI: (Shocked:) Staaacy? Tiiiffany? What are you two dooing here?

STACY: (Really nervous, but bravely goes on:) S-S-S-Sandi! Q-Q-Q-Quinn! D-D-Darren! T-T-Tiffany! F-f-fancy m-m-meeting y-you guys here! EEP! I'm not supposed to talk to you, Quinn! Sorry!

TIFFANY: (Same way as Stacy, but I'll spare you her stammering:) Uhhh...hiiii..guuuys...IIIII..mean..Sandi...Darrrren....

SANDI: (Looks between the girls, suspicious:) Something's like, definitely not right here, but I sure as hell intend to find out! (Goes to the "weak link", laser-beam focus:) Staaacy, did Quinn put you up to this?!

STACY: (Sweats profusely, while Quinn mouths to her out of Sandi's sight, "Be strong":) N-n-no, S-S-Sandi! I-I-I c-can't t-talk t-to Q-Q-Quinn, r-r-remember? H-h-how c-could she p-plan to do s-something w-with m-me if w-we c-couldn't t-talk t-to e-each o-other?! (Weak laugh)

Sandi looked at Stacy with her iron gaze a moment more, then rolled her eyes over to Tiffany. Stacy let out a silent, deep breath of relief the moment Sandi turned away, holding her rapidly-beating heart, and closing her eyes. Darren watched the scene with the other dancers, both fasinated, and amused.

SANDI: (Gives the same look to Tiffany, but in a more "diplomatic" way, tries to play up to the "yes-woman":) Tiiiffany, I'm sure you had very little to do with this, right? Did you follow Quinn's instructions, and come out here with her?

TIFFANY: (Slightly more cooler, but with Tiffany, it's kind of hard to tell:) I...don't...know...what...you're...talking...about...Sandi...

Sandi looked at Tiffany and grimced. It was clear the "yes-woman" was not going to crack, and point the finger. Sandi began to slowly turn red with rage. Quinn, sensing an opening, pounced.

QUINN: (With faux ignorance:) So, um, Sandi? What are you doin' here with Darren? I mean, isn't he Jane's boyfriend, or something?

SANDI: (Gives Quinn the glare to end all glares:) We weren't like, doing anything! Just a little dinner and dancing, that's all, (frowns:) you probably asked him where we were going, and you knew why--(suddenly stops, checks herself, realizes she's said more than she intended)

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes:) --"Why", Sandi? "Why" what? Do Stacy and Tiffany know "why", huh?

SANDI: (Looks lost, which is unbearable for her in front of the others, especially Quinn, tries to re-take the high ground:) Like, uh, because um, Darren chose to take me out on his own! (Suddenly hooks her arm with Darren's:) Right, Darren? (Quinn gasps in anger, while Sandi smirks)

Darren couldn't believe what was going on--first, there was some sort of verbal "battle" between a suddenly-appearing Quinn and Sandi, and he was being dragged into it against his will! He looked around for a moment, dumbfounded, and spotted Jane and Daria at the bar. Both were leaning back on the counter, and watching with great interest, eating peanuts and smirking at the situation. If only I could be up there with them instead of--

SANDI: (Looks up at Darren:) --Darren! Did you hear me?! I said you chose to take me out, right?!

DARREN: (Gives a quick look between Sandi and Quinn, looking unsure:) Uh, ah--that is--

Suddenly, Mr. Shaw and Curly made their way through the crowd, and both were frowning.

MR. SHAW: (Looks between everyone:) What in the hell is going on here, people?! I won't tolerate violence in my club!

DARREN: (Calmly:) No problem, sir, there was only a misunderstanding, right, girls?

SANDI: (Angry:) Oooooh, nooo--there's no "misunderstanding" here! (Glares at Quinn, releases Darren's arm, goes up to Quinn's face:) I know you had to be behind this, Quinn! I can't prove it--yet, or how you've turned Tiffany and Stacy against me, but I suspect you had a hand in this!

QUINN: (Cool exterior, in a calm voice:) You're right about one thing, Sandi, there's no "misunderstanding" here--you, like abused your office when you took Darren out with you just to keep me in th' Fashion Club, admit it!

SANDI: (Smirks:) Hey, I'm not the one who lied about having a sister after all this time, and passing her off as my "cousin"! (Gasps in the audience)

QUINN: (Furious, begins to step forward:) Why you--

Curly suddenly stepped in between the girls, and gently separated them, which still did not stop Sandi from speaking.

SANDI: Quinn, using my power and authority as president of the Fashion Club, I hereby excu--excumun--kick you out of the Fashion Club! (Darren and Quinn looked shocked, while Daria and Jane look at each other, surprised)

QUINN: (Mouth agape:) Y-you can't do that! (Looks at Tiffany and Stacy, pleading look:) Guys, help me!

Tiffany and Stacy looked at each other and then Quinn, sheepishly, then looked away uneasily.

DARREN: (Frowns:) Sandi, we had a deal! (Quinn gets a very sinister look on her face, while Tiffany and Stacy look at each other) You're now going back on it?

SANDI: (Haughty look, not realizing what Darren has said:) It's not my fault that Quinn forced the issue here! All she had to do was to say and do nothing, and--

QUINN: (Lights up, points at Sandi:) AH-HA! You admit you wanted to go out with Darren in return for me staying in the Fashion Club?! (People in the audience make "ooooh" and "aaaah" sounds, looking at each other, then Quinn grins wickedly:) Even my bro said you guys had a deal! (Darren sighs, exasperated)

SANDI: (Rolls her eyes:) Like, uh, that is so not true--

MR. SHAW: (Having enough:) --OKAY, THAT'S IT! I don't care who did what, I want all of you people out of here, right now! Curly, start with him. (Points at an astounded Darren:) "Escort" the "lover-boy" out of here first, then the others in his party.

DARREN: (Glances up at the ceiling with a look of disbelief on his face:) Why does everyone seem to think that I'm after all the girls?

CURLY: (Starts to walk over to Darren, grins wickedly, cracks his knuckles:) With pleasure, Mr. Shaw. (Quinn, Tiffany, Stacy, and even Sandi look at each other, uncomfortably--this was definitely not expected)

Daria and Jane watched the spectacle intently, and the "bartender" had stopped doing her work, watching intently as well.

BARTENDER: Oh crap--it looks as there's gonna be some trouble for your boyfriend, Jane.

DARIA: (Begins to smirk:) Oh, I don't know about that. Let's see what happens.

JANE: (Cuts her eyes over at Daria, a little uneasily:) You seem awfully sure Darren can handle this guy, Daria. "Curly-Joe" looks pretty big--

DARIA: (Still smirks:) --Maybe if you rushed out there to Darren and kissed him, Curly might not fight him. (Jane mock-glares at Daria, while the "bartender" looks at them oddly for a second, then resumes to watch what will happen on the floor)

Curly grinned as he came up to Darren, who had backed up a bit, and was sizing Curly up, narrowing his eyes.

CURLY: You can go out one of two ways--you can be carried out, or you can be thrown out. What's it gonna be?

DARREN: (After a moment:) Look, I really don't want any trouble--how about if I just walked out on my own?

CURLY: Wrong answer.

Curly lunged at Darren, who smoothly ducked under him, leaped in the air, and kicked the bouncer in the head. Curly stumbled forward, and fell down on the floor on his back. He looked up at Darren, dazed and stunned. Quinn looked at an impressed Sandi, Tiffany, and Stacy and smirked. Others in the crowd talked amongst themselves, impressed, especially the females.

QUINN: I told you my bro can take care of himself, Sandi.

SANDI: Like, I guess he can, Quinn.

MR. SHAW: (Looks down at Curly:) Get your ass up, you lummox! I don't pay you to just lie there on the floor and look like an idiot!

Curly foolishly looked at his boss for a moment, then glared at Darren, and got up in a rage, snarling like an animal. Once again, he rushed Darren, but Darren again smoothly avoided him on the side, and chopped Curly on the back of his neck, knocking him to the floor, and out cold. Mr. Shaw looked down at his fallen bouncer, stunned. The whole room was totally the same--save for a proud Quinn. Daria, Jane, and the "bartender" looked at each other, and smirked.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Well, that certainly was over fast. At least I got a chance to actually see my bro in "action", and I must say, he's one hell of an ass-kicker.

JANE: (Wicked smirk:) Oh, I'm sooo damn lucky--I've gotta take some "lessons" from that boy--

BARTENDER: Wow--and Curly usually had his way with everyone in here--I've never seen anyone taken out so fast. Jane, you've got a rare gem there--don't lose it. (Pauses, coy voice:) Of course, if you want to pass him on--

JANE: (Same smirk, still looks in Darren's direction:) Heh--fat chance. (Daria smirks)

Darren took one more glance at Curly, just to make sure he did not get up, then turned towards the now-terrified Mr. Shaw, who was shaking with fear. Darren was scowling, and spoke.

DARREN: (Through clenched teeth:) All you had to do, "sir", was let me leave on my own. I told you I didn't want any trouble. Now, if you don't mind, I'll be leaving--on my own. (Shaw nods his head in agreement quickly, and stands aside, then Darren brushes past him and starts to leave, but turns back towards him with a slight smirk:) Uh, your pants are wet. Maybe you should change them? (Mr. Shaw looks down on himself, turns red with embarassment, then runs off the floor while everyone laughs at him)

SANDI: (Becoming wide-eyed:) Uh, Darren, what about--

DARREN: Sorry, Sandi, but if you're going to kick my sister out, (Quinn glares at Sandi, while Tiffany and Stacy look heartbroken) then we have nothing more to do with each other on this "date". (Starts to leave) I'm sure you can find your own--

SANDI: (Becomes alarmed:) Wait! (Darren stops, turns around, while Sandi strains to look at Quinn, and be civil at the same time) Er, um, perhaps I was a bit hasty--

QUINN: (Scowls:) A bit hasty? You--

DARREN: (Glares at Quinn, cuts her off sharply:) --Quinn! Let Sandi speak! (Quinn looks at her brother, stunned, while Sandi gives a quick, smug look at Quinn) Go on, Sandi.

SANDI: Oh, um, yes--anyway, like I said, perhaps I was a bit hasty, Darren --I will not kick Quinn out of the Fashion Club, but only if Tiffany and Stacy admit that they were in league with Quinn against me! (The crowd "oohs" and "ahhs")

QUINN: (Stunned with Tiffany and Stacy:) WHAT! But--

STACY: (Suddenly jumps down at Sandi's feet, pleads:) Oh, YES, YES, YES, I did it, Sandi! I didn't mean to! Please forgive me! (Starts to cry into the hem of Sandi's dress)

TIFFANY: (Bows down to Sandi on one knee, kisses the back of her hand, similar to what a Catholic saint does with the Pope:) I...did...too...sorry...Sandi...please...forgive...me...

Quinn rolled her eyes, full of rage, with her arms crossed, while Darren (and others in the crowd) viewed the scene with stunned disbelief. Sandi, of course, was on top of the world, with an arrogant smirk that ended all smirks. Daria and Jane simply looked at each other and shook their heads slowly.

DARIA: (Deadpan, flat tone:) The status quo has been restored, Lane.

JANE: (Flat tone as well:) Yes, Morgendorffer--"Queen Sandi" has forgiven her "subjects"--all hail the queen.

DARIA: (Same tone:) I'd prefer to tell her to go to hell.

Darren then gave Sandi a serious look.

DARREN: If you're finished, I want to leave now. You ready to go?

SANDI: (Comes down after her "high":) Like, sure, Darren--I suppose, since everything's back in it's proper place. If you want to go, we can.

DARREN: Let's. I'm sick of being here. (Turns to a fuming Quinn:) Quinn, we'll talk later. Catch a ride back with Tiffany and Stacy. (Leaves with Sandi as the crowd parts to let them through, but as he sees Jane and Daria, his visage softens, and he gives Jane a quick wink and a smile, the same for Daria. Jane smirks contentedly while Daria shrugs, but gives a tiny Mona Lisa smile)

Daria turned back to the "bartender" and pulled out the same $200 she had shown to Mr. Shaw while getting up from the bar with Jane.

DARIA: Here--you've earned this tip.

BARTENDER: (Stunned as she takes the money:) Y-you're giving this much money to me? A-are you sure--

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Uh--yeah, Daria--are you sure?

DARIA: (Shrugs at Jane, then looks back at the "bartender":) Why not? Our business is done here, and we don't really need this much money anymore for tonight anyway. I'm sure that my bro won't mind if we gave it away, especially if he's really--(glances at Jane:) well, you know--

JANE: (Picks up on Daria's lead:) --Oh, uh, yeah--"that guy". (Looks to the bartender, who frowns slightly, perplexed by what Daria and Jane are talking about:) Go on--take it. It'll kind of help you out for college.

BARTENDER: (Smiles as she pockets the money:) Thanks! (Smirks:) I guess I won't be seeing you two around here anymore. Kind of a shame--you two were the most intelligent people I've met since I've been working here.

DARIA: Oh, I doubt that--otherwise, Jane and I wouldn't have come here in the first place. (The "bartender" smirks with Jane, and then Daria and Jane leave) Take it easy. (The "bartender" watches them go, and then resumes her work)

Daria and Jane were leaving the Haven when Quinn came up to them, looking angry. Both girls stopped for a moment, looked at her, and then kept going to the SUV, while Quinn followed them as she was talking. Darren's car had just left the parking lot. Unbeknown to any of the parties, the grey Camry that had followed them all there had gone.

QUINN: Daria, take me back home with you!

DARIA: (Cocks an inquisitive eyebrow with Jane:) What about going back with Stacy and Tiffany?

QUINN: (Scowls:) No freakin' way! They stabbed me in th' back--like Darren! I'm not gonna speak to either one of them for awhile, an' I'm thinkin' about doin' the same thing with my bro! (Looks as she's about to cry:) How could Darren snap at me like that, defending Sandi, of all people, against me, his sister?!

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Perhaps it was because you were about to do something even dumber than just coming out here in the first place with Stacy and Tiffany while Darren and Sandi were out--

JANE: --Like, oh, almost getting yourself kicked out of the Fashion Club, and not being able to go to that Fashion Institute place?

QUINN: (Even more shocked:) YOU guys are sidin' with Sandi, too?!

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes, sighs:) Quinn--please. I'd sooner have bouncy hair and get a new wardrobe full of your crappy fashions than side with Sandi on just about anything. What we're saying is, is that you didn't have to do anything tonight. Jane and I were here. (Frowns:) You risked everything to come out here just to show up Sandi, and it almost backfired. If anything, I'd wager to guess that Darren saved your ass from embarassing yourself any further--(smirks with Jane while Quinn glares:) although I must say it would've been a glorious battle if you and Sandi actually went at it physically.

JANE: Surely you're not gonna blame Darren for "making" you come out here with your little friends, and doing all of this to yourself, are you?

Quinn scowled for a moment more, then looked indignant as she got into the back seat of the SUV while Daria and Jane got in the front, not responding to Jane's question, something that wasn't lost on Daria, but she decided to say nothing for the moment.

DARIA: (Puts on her seat belt:) Hey, what about your small bag of clothes you took while supposedly staying over Stacy's tonight?

QUINN: (Waves it off:) Oh, Stacy or Tiffany will bring them to me over the weekend--they'll wanna get back into my good graces.

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow, turns around:) You're sure about that? Based on what happened here tonight, those two looked as if they'd climb a whole damn mountain for Sandi to stay on her good side.

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes, explains with a passion:) For th' moment. Stacy considers me to be her best friend in th' Fashion Club, an' Tiffany would wanna play me against Sandi like she always has. (Smirks:) She doesn't think that I know, but I do. Give it a couple of days, an' they'll both be crawlin' back to me, 'cause they know they won't be gettin' the respect from Sandi like they'll get from me.

DARIA: (While starting the SUV:) Ah, the "intricacies" of Fashion Club politics--

JANE: (Smirks:) --You gotta love it.

DARIA: --Or, in our case, be indifferent to it. (Smirks, while Quinn rolls her eyes) Got another question for you, Quinn--what about mom and dad? What are you gonna say to them when you come up with me dressed like that, and you're not at Stacy's like you promised our parents you would be?

QUINN: (Now becomes wide-eyed as she looks down on herself:) Uh, um--well--(becomes panicked:) you gotta help me, Daria!

DARIA: (Faux concern:) Gee, sis, I don't know--help like that doesn't come cheap--

QUINN: (Pulls out Jake's credit card, smug:) I can get some money out of the ATM for you--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --No.

JANE & QUINN: (Shocked:) Huh? Come again?

DARIA: Obviously, you two seem to have a hearing problem, so I'll repeat myself for clarification purposes--no. I want you to give me something more valuable than money, sis--I want your pride. (Quinn frowns, confused) Quinn, if you want me to get you past mom and dad, I want you to promise to try and not to stay angry at Darren for what happened tonight, and admit you were wrong about what you did about coming out there, and apologize to him.

QUINN: (Mouth agape, stunned:) Daria, are you crazy? I wasn't the one who--

DARIA: (Cuts her off:) --Quinn, it's this, or "The Wrath of Helen", or, you can figure something out on your own--

QUINN: (Crosses her arms, pouts, bites her lower lip, slams herself back in her seat:) Fine! Okay! I promise I won't get mad at Darren for tonight, an' I'll say I'm sorry to him, okay?! (Sneers:) Is that it?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Yep.

JANE: (Leans over to Daria, in a very low tone out of the side of her mouth:) Did I just hear you let Quinn off the hook? You could've gotten a lot of "moolah" off of her!

DARIA: (In the same tone:) Nah--I've already had a lot of the "moolah" in my hands for tonight, and Quinn would really just be giving me dad's money. Besides, if we're gonna be looking to see if Darren's really is this "Arthur Appleton Jr.", I'd rather have Quinn and Darren on good terms, and--

Quinn suddenly leaned forward between the two between the front seat, listening.

QUINN: What are you two talkin' about? (Narrows her eyes:) It isn't about me, is it? 'Cause if it is--

DARIA: --Jane and I were just talking, "Nosy"--go back to your "fashion fantasies" and dream of "walkway visions of glory". (Jane smirks) Besides, if we were talking about you, Jane and I would be laughing so hard, I'd probably lose control of the SUV, it would flip like crazy, and we'd all crash and burn. (Quinn scowls at Daria, while Jane tries not to laugh)

JANE: C'mon, Quinn--we're just "shooting the breeze", you know, girl talk and all--no need to get all riled up and everything.

QUINN: Oh. (Sits back in the backseat slowly this time, sighs, looks out her door window:) You know, I'll bet Sandi's probably havin' a good laugh at me right now--

Up ahead, Darren was driving back to Lawndale with Sandi, who looked as smug as she had been in a long time. To her, Darren had put down his own sister, her greatest enemy, in front of that crowd--all for Sandi, and after he cut down that bouncer in a heartbeat. She cut her eyes over at the seemingly impassive and quiet Darren, who looked like he was thinking about something--possibly her? Sandi hoped against hope--did he like her enough to defend her like that? Maybe Darren and that--that--what was her name again? Janet? Jill? Jo? No--wait--Jane, yes, that was it--were on the skids? Sandi wondered if she should ask him right out, then lost her nerve at the last minute. She decided to wait for later, perhaps just before they--kissed to end the date, then go over to Quinn's tomorrow, and rub it in about being with her brother--that would teach her not to challenge Sandi's authority. She slowly smiled to herself and looked back out of her car door window, dreamily. Oh, Darren--by the time you feel my kiss, you'll never want to go back to that "art geek weirdo" again.

Darren drove at a steady pace on the way back to Lawndale consumed by three things on his mind--Sanchez, Sandi, and Quinn. He was beginning to wonder if Woo could ever find him, and to end any and all speculation about who hired Sanchez to kill his parents. He began to feel frazzled by the building pressure on him--this was beginning to get more and more unbearable everyday. He wished he could be with Jane right now--she could take his mind off of all of this. Darren cut his eyes over at the surprisingly quiet Sandi, who was looking out of the window. Good--the last thing he needed was her saying anything right now to him about Quinn. In reality, Darren wanted to get out of that place when Quinn and Sandi had their little "powerplay"--he was tired, and simply wanted the date to end, but that "Mr. Shaw" and "Curly" would not let him leave, and he found himself fighting. He wondered about his recent "drawing" power when it came to trouble--it almost rivaled his "girl-drawing" power. First, that "Rocco" guy, then this "Curly" fellow--what was it about him? Why did it seem that he was some sort of lightning rod when it came to trouble?

Quinn--why did she do that? Daria and Jane were there, she didn't have to--he immediately berated himself over such a simple thought as that--to get back at Sandi, of course. If only she could have chosen another time--anytime to play her little "games" with Sandi, but nooo--it had to be then and there. If Quinn had not brought Stacy and Tiffany, the night would have gone smoother (and quieter), and he would have never been in that fight in the first place. He looked over at Sandi again. Perhaps he should say something to her--to stay quiet would be rude, even if it was this girl. He spoke in a tepid manner.

DARREN: (Glances over at her:) Ah, uh, Sandi? About what happened back there--I'm sorry about--

SANDI: (Smirks, looks over at him with a gleam in her eye:) Like, it's okay, Darren--what you did was so noble an' stuff.

DARREN: (Looks surprised, thought v.o.: Oh no. She doesn't think that--) Look, Sandi--perhaps we should get something straight here. I only shouted at Quinn like that to stop her from making the situation any worse. I did not take your side, if that's what you're thinking. Yes, I'll admit Quinn did come to the Haven and instigated the situation, but--

SANDI: (Still has the same smirk:) --Suuure you didn't, Darren--whatever you say.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) You don't believe me?

SANDI: (Throws her hair back in a flippant manner:) Like, you can be honest with me, Darren. (Gives him a "seductive" look:) You went against Quinn, your own sister, and took my side. That alone told me that you were attracted to me. (Begins to slide over to Darren)

DARREN: (Wide-eyed, shocked, flinches as he sees her do so, but still controls the car:) WHAT?! This isn't happening, it can't be. (Glances back over at Sandi, trying like crazy to control his rising anger:) Sandi-I-told-you-that-I-do-NOT-like-you! I have Jane as a girlfriend, remember?!

SANDI: (Now stops sliding, looks at Darren, confused:) But, don't you like me? I thought for sure after what happened tonight that you did!

DARREN: (Looks at her out of the corner of his eye:) Where did THAT come from?! (Thinks for a moment:) Look, Sandi--is this about your thinking that I have money again? I'll admit that I, er, have some, but that's it, and--

Sandi looked at Darren, actually shocked, or at least that what it seemed to Darren. She suddenly sighed, grew very quiet, then began to slide back to her side of the car. Darren was stunned by the sudden change in persona on Sandi's part. Whoa--now what? Darren did not expect that--a trick perhaps? He remembered what had Quinn told him about Sandi's "habits" of tricking people to get what she wanted (Quinn herself doing the same thing, of course)--maybe this was one of those times?

DARREN: (After a long moment:) Er, Sandi? Are you all right? (Grows quiet:) Look, about the "money" crack--I'm sorry about saying--

SANDI: (Now looks at Darren quietly:) --No, it's not about the money, Darren--it's like, about what you just said. (Looks away)

DARREN: (Frowns, looks perplexed:) Eh? "Said"? What are you talking about? I'm sorry, but--

SANDI: (Points at him:) --There! That! What you said! "Sorry"!

DARREN: (Now even more confused:) Huh? "Sorry"? I don't understand--

SANDI: (Pouts, crosses her arms, looks ahead:) --It's, like, you're, well--uh, so nice an' everything, an' so much of a gentleman. You never took advantage of me or anything while we were on th' dance floor, even though I gave you every chance to do so, an' stuff. You even, like, asked me about my future after high school an' everything. (Pauses for her next words, speaks very low:) No guy's ever been like that to me, you know? It's usually like, "Backseat Time", an' I like, get carried away in th' moment, and we like, make out! But you're not like that! You're--you're--

DARREN: (Now finding himself suddenly interested:) --I'm--I'm--what?

SANDI: (Looks down, red-faced:) --you're really a good guy. You seem to like, respect me an' stuff. I just thought that maybe after what happened with Quinn, and the way you beat that muscled guy who bullied us, that you kind of liked me, by, like, defending us, that's all. (Quickly looks everywhere but at a now-shocked Darren:) I, well, I really do find myself liking you because of that. Stupid, huh? (Adds:) I guess Jane's, like, lucky, an' stuff, an' I'm not. (Sighs)

DARREN: (After a moment of getting over his shock:) S-Sandi, I-I don't know what to say, except that, ah, uh--

SANDI: (Cuts her eyes over at Darren, smirks:) --That you're "sorry", Darren?

DARREN: (Smiles slightly while looking forward:) Yes, I guess you can say that, Sandi. (Sighs:) But like I said, you can get any guy you want. (Thought v.o.: Maybe after you've improved your haughty attitude, that is.)

SANDI: (Thought v.o. while looking out of the window: Yeah--just not you. [Smirks:] At least not yet. You're everything I could hope for in a guy, Darren--you're handsome, nice, smart, you can, like, handle yourself, an' you're probably rich. Jane's gonna find herself in a battle an' stuff, an' I plan to come out on top like I always do, an' really make Quinn mad, too--havin' her brother an' everything--I'll just, like, have to bide my time an' stuff.)

(Scene changes to William Appleton's apartment, the same time)

William Appleton was up for a late-night conversation on his cell phone while propped up in his bed. He had several files strewn about on it, the same files he had collected from the coffee table that Benny had put back on after William had smacked him down on the floor. He was speaking to the man whom he had sent to Lawndale to spy on Darren.

WILLIAM: (Smirks:)--That's right, ah--Oscar, right? I just got off the phone after talking to a "Lt. Keller" of the L.A.P.D., and he "broke" the news of Sanchez's death to me, and "informed" me of what he found concerning what Sanchez had done to cause the crash that killed my "poor" brother and sister-in-law, and of his "suspicions" that someone "may have" murdered them to somehow or another to get control of Appleton Industries. (Laughs:) The fool told me that I wasn't considered to be a suspect because I was chosen to be Chairman by my "nephew", and thusly there was no motive for me to kill Arthur Sr. and Lucille--what an idiot--he didn't even say that Woo had to have told him about Sanchez, as if Lt. Keller and the L.A.P.D. themselves came up with the answers! I added that I would get in "contact" with my sister and "nephew" to let them know about the "stunning" news during this time also. I, in my "grief" and "shock", also asked the good detective to ask his superiors to wait until Monday before announcing what Sanchez actually did to the media, so I could inform the Board and the stockholders of this "incredible" development. I've already called my secretary Lilly at her home, and told her that I'm going out of town for the next few days in a private location because I'm "bereaved", and wouldn't be back until Monday morning. Benny and I will take Norwood with us, and slip out of town to this "Lawndale" and join you and the other men via minivan--no need to bring attention to ourselves by coming in on a private jet.

OSCAR: Yessir. I've checked around this "Lawndale" just as you've said, Boss, and I think I've found the isolated spot you're looking for to "deal" with your "nephew".

WILLIAM: (Grins:) Excellent, Oscar--where is it?

OSCAR: Near the waterfront, about five miles outside of the town. It's called (pauses, is heard shifting some papers:) the Carter County Bay Warehouse District, consisting of several old, huge, mostly-abandoned warehouses that are sitting by some docks, and are innerconnected with each other, which surround an inlet there. I sat there in my car for several hours yesterday after tailing Darren Appleton and his friends around, trying to see if anyone around here even knows if the place exists. It seems that the local "Barney Fife" cops don't come around here at all, so whatever you want to do with your "nephew", you'll have plenty of time to do it.

(Note to reader: I'm taking the "waterfront" location from "Just Add Water", in case you're wondering, since it seems that Lawndale apparently is located near water because of that episode.)

WILLIAM: (Sinister grin:) Excellent, Oscar--I knew I could count on you--(frowns, mumbles:) unlike some other people.

OSCAR: Huh? What do you mean, Boss?

WILLIAM: (Sighs:) Never mind, Oscar. Anyway, I'm still not going to take any chances--I want you on top of one of those warehouse roofs to act as a lookout when I get my "nephew" to come there. In the meantime, I'm going to put in "Phase Two" of my plan.

OSCAR: "Phase Two", Boss?

WILLIAM: Yes--to lure in his "birth family" to those warehouses. Based on the personal info you've given me concerning these--"Morgendazzers"--

OSCAR: (Gently interrupts:) Uh, Boss, I think it's MorgenDORFFERS--

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes, talks through clenched teeth, looks down to his right side for some reason:) --MorgenDORFFERS, Oscar, I think I know how to reel them in as "insurance" to get my "nephew" to sign over everything to me before I kill him.

OSCAR: How's that, Boss?

WILLIAM: You told me based on the information you acquired that my "nephew's" birth parents fit the "workaholic" mold when it comes to their careers, looking for an additional "edge" to get ahead, staying out extra hours to work, and such. I can use this to my advantage by appealing to that part of their careers. (Pauses:) You know, in a way, it's too bad they're my "nephew's" birth parents--I could use people like that to do business with, that is, with all of their ambition and such. (Shrugs:) Oh, well--

OSCAR: (Snickers sinisterly:) --I think I see what you're planning, Boss--(pauses:) what about their daughters, your "nephew's" birth sisters?

WILLIAM: I'll try to get them to come along with my "nephew's" birth parents--if I can't, then possibly separately. Either way, I want to try and have Darren's whole birth family there, as well--the more "insurance", the better.

OSCAR: Does that include his girlfriend, too, Boss?

WILLIAM: (Amused look on his face:) Oh, that's right--my "nephew" has a new girlfriend, too. (In a sneering tone:) Looks as if he's gotten over his "Dear Stephanie", it seems. Well, if you can, get her, too.

OSCAR: Will do, sir--does this mean that you've decided to eliminate them all as well? There are an awfully lot of people we're dealing with, here, Boss--you know, "loose ends", and all.

WILLIAM: (After a moment:) Hmm--yes, I've--considered that. Well, as I've told Benny, I've no real quarrel with these--"Morgendeckers"--(looks down to his right side again:) I mean, "Morgendorffers", despite the fact that they "spawned" Darren--or with his girlfriend, for that matter--they represent no threat to me. (Pauses, ponders:) I haven't decided on what to do with them yet when we get them. I'm probably going to still be deciding up until the last minute--have those masks and that other equipment ready for our men to help "secure" our "insurance" so they can't identify any of you when you take them. In the meantime, have you found a very low-key place for me to stay in this--"Lawndale"?

OSCAR: Sure, Boss--I got an "ordinary-looking" room at a low-budget motel called Knight's Inn that's only a mile-and-a-half from the warehouses. I thought about a place called the Stopover Motel, but it was a little too well-known around here, and you said you didn't want anybody to know that you're coming here.

WILLIAM: That's right--I don't. Good work, Oscar--you'll earn an extra bonus after this is over. Now, I'm going to put my "plan" in action. I'll call you tomorrow morning in the minivan and we'll go over any potential flaws we might see in the plan. Get some sleep, now.

OSCAR: Okay, Boss. (Hangs up)

William began to dial, but looked once again down to his right, to some files and a pad lying beside him. On the pad was the name "Morgendorffer".

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's, the same time)

Helen and Jake were sitting in the living room on the center couch, leaning against each other, sighing contentedly, and drinking red wine with a lone lighted candle that was sitting in the middle of the coffee table. The evening had gone quite well. Jake had prepared a small dinner of cornish hens, and wild rice on the side, just large enough for him and Helen, and it was actually delicious. Both had a slice of cheesecake for dessert, and were now listening to Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole on a CD player that was sitting beside the cell phone on the coffee table.

HELEN: (Dreamily:) Oh Jake--isn't this wonderful? We have the house all to ourselves, Daria out with this "Martin" fellow, Darren out with Jane, and Quinn being over at Stacy's.

JAKE: (Ditto:) Yeeeeah--Ol' Nat on the CD, and you and me, sweetheart--what could be more romantic? (Pauses, realizes:) Uh, Helen, do ya think we ought to call the Rowes and check up on Quinn? You know, just to make sure everything's okay?

HELEN: (Surprised, looks up into Jake's eyes:) Hmmm? Why, honey? Quinn's safe where she is with her friends. Let her enjoy herself, Jakey--she's earned it after making up with Daria.

JAKE: (Shrugs:) Yeah, I guess you're right, honey--our sweetie-pie's entitled to have some fun with her friends. (Looks at his watch, cocks an eyebrow:) Besides, it's kinda--late, anyway. I wouldn't want to wake 'em up if they're sleeping.

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Jake, it's a slumber party. Quinn and her friends could be up most of the night, and--

The cell phone on the coffee table suddenly rang. Helen was about to reach for it when Jake gently grabbed her wrist. She looked at him, a bit surprised.

JAKE: Aw, let it ring, honey--it's probably that "Eric" guy calling you, and wanting you to come in tomorrow morning! (Frowns:) Why can't he just wait until then to call you?! I mean we're trying to have some quiet time here, and he decides to call on his damn pet to--(turns pale:) oops!

HELEN: (Frowns herself now:) --Ohhhh--so I'm a "pet", am I, Jake?

JAKE: (Suddenly nervous:) O-oh no, sweetheart! I-I mean, well, uh--

HELEN: (Glares, cuts him off:) --We'll talk about this, later, Jake. You know as well as I do that my job reqiures me to be ready at any time! This could be one of those times! Besides, it could Daria or Darren calling us for some help if their car broke down, or something. (Turns off CD player, grabs phone on fourth ring, clicks it on, in her falsetto voice:) Hellooo?

VOICE: (Sounding "cheerful":) Hello, is this the uh--(pauses:) Mor-gen-dor-ffer residence?

HELEN: (Sits up, while Jake sits back in the couch with a pout and an eye roll, arms crossed:) Why, yes it is, Mr.--

VOICE: --Smith--John Smith. I'm sorry for calling so late, but I figured that I could catch you at this time.

HELEN: (Sounding slightly annoyed:) Well, Mr. Smith, my husband and I were relaxing here at our home, and--

SMITH: (Cuts her off gently:) --I won't take up too much of your time tonight, Mrs. (pauses:) Mor-gen-dor-ffer, and please, call me John. I've been--watching you and your husband for a while from afar.

HELEN: (Cocks an inquisitive eyebrow:) You've been--"watching" us, er--John? I'm afraid I don't understand, and please call me Helen.

SMITH: (In an assuring tone:) Please don't be alarmed, Helen. I meant that I've been watching your work you and your husband have been doing in your perspective careers, you as a lawyer, and he as an marketing consultant, and I must say, I am quite impressed. (Pauses:) I thought what happened on the Van Reefs case was a travesty, an utter and complete travesty. Your firm should have won that land case.

HELEN: (Now impressed in spite of herself:) Oooh, well--thank you, John--(frowns:) those rich bastards had the money to get their way, and we couldn't counter that. (Ponders:) Now when I think about it, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Van Reefs paid the judge or some of the jurors off to help rule in their favor.

SMITH: (After a pause:) Of--course. Anyway, I also wanted to say that your husband--er, Jake, did a terrific job on that eyeglass account, too. (Laughs:) I like the ad slogan: "An Eye For An Eye With Us"! Sheer genius!

HELEN: (Cocks an eyebrow, looks over at Jake:) You know about my husband's eyeglass account? (Jake now perks up at her, interested, goes over and listens to the phone next to Helen) W-why, how did you know that, John?

SMITH: (Chuckling sound:) Like I said, Helen--I've watched you and your husband's remarkable work for some time, and I'd like to meet you and your family, if I could, or at least you and your husband, Jake. If you do, it could be very lucrative for me--er, I mean all of us. You see, I am an aspiring inventor that inherited a rather large amount of money from a dead relative, and I used most of the money to create a "product" that I want to share with you and your husband--it involves a combination of endorsing a very special, yet very secret product that I want to introduce to the public, with your husband's expertise in selling, and your legal opinions of--protecting my "product's" copyrights for when I show it to the world. (Adds:) My "product" is so secret, I can't discuss it over the phone. It could mean millions of dollars for you and your husband. If you're interested--

JAKE: (Wide-eyed, and screams in the speaker part, while Helen winces from hearing Jake's scream in her ear:) --YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT WE'RE INTERESTED!!

HELEN: (Frowns, covers the phone:) JAKE, WILL YOU PIPE DOWN?! (Jake cowers a bit, but still stays near the phone, listening, while Helen regains her composure, and uncovers the phone:) Now, (ahem)--um, John--this all seems too good to be true--

SMITH: --I'm sure it is, Helen, and I don't blame you for having some doubts. (Pauses:) How about if I offer a fee for you and your husband just for coming out to meet me and viewing my "product"--say about $25,000?

JAKE: (Before Helen can say anything:) $25,000?! HELL YEAH, HELEN--TAKE IT!! (Once again, Helen winces from Jake's screaming)

HELEN: (Through clenched teeth, warning tone, covers the speaker part:) Damn it, Jake--DON'T-DO-THAT-AGAIN!! (Jake jumps back in fear, while Helen goes back on the phone:) I've uh, "talked" to my husband, John, and we're definitely interested--

SMITH: (In a delighted tone:) --Spendid! I'd like to arrange a meeting tomorrow night if that's all right--?

HELEN: Very well, John--is there some restaurant that you might want to go to here in Lawndale, or something--?

SMITH: Actually, Helen, I'd--like to--meet you all at a--secret location first, and look at my "product", then we can go to a restaurant, if that's okay with you. I'm--protective of it, you understand--is there any place you want to go after we meet each other?

HELEN: --Of course I understand, John, and we can then go to a place here called Chez Pierre--where do you want to meet us to see your "product"?

SMITH: At the Carter County Bay Warehouse District. I know we'll have absolute privacy there to--"conduct" our business.

JAKE: (While leaning over to the phone:) Boy, I'll say! That place is almost decrepit! I've read that some developer plans to bulldoze everything and put up some shops and homes there--

HELEN: (Frowns, covers the speaker part again:) Yes Jake--the Van Reefs own part of that land out there--(mutters to herself:) and just about every other damn thing around here. (Resumes her normal voice on the phone after she uncovers it:) We'll be there, John--what time do you want to meet?

SMITH: (Pauses:) Oh--how about 6:30 p.m., Helen? (Adds:) Er, do you think you and your husband will be able to bring your family there as well?

HELEN: (After a moment:) I'm--not sure. I think I heard that my son and middle daughter plan to go to a place called McGrundy's tomorrow night with a friend, but I'm sure my youngest daughter will come with us. She's grounded.

SMITH: (Chuckling sound again:) Grounded you say? Ah, yes--well, children will be children, I suppose. I'll see you all there, then. Goodnight.

HELEN: We'll be there, John. Goodnight. (Hangs up)

Jake suddenly jumped around, and started to dance in a circle, then grabbed a giggling Helen, laughing, and spinning her around, as well.

JAKE: (Grins like a fool:) We're on our way, honey--we're on our way! YAHOO!! (Thought v.o.: Now "Mister High-And-Mighty" Hopkins will get his!)

HELEN: (While being spun around:) I hope so, Jakey--if this pans out, I'm sure to get Eric's attention for that partnership at the firm! (Thought v.o., smirks: Linda's sure to seethe after I rub this in her damn face)

(Scene changes to the Griffin's, 30 minutes later)

Darren's car pulled up to the front of the Griffin home, and he got out and went to the passenger side to hold open the door for a slightly smirking Sandi. Down the street, Helen's red SUV, with Daria, Jane, and Quinn inside, slowed to a crawl about two houses down, just in sight of the Griffin residence. Daria turned off the headlights so Sandi would not notice them. There was silence in the SUV for a moment, then Quinn spoke.

QUINN: (Frowns:) You guys know how all dates end, don't you? (Pauses, smirks slowly:) Well, I'm sure Jane knows at least. (Daria gives a small glare in the interior rearview mirror at Quinn)

JANE: (Narrows her eyes at the Griffin's, clenched teeth:) Oh, crap--

DARIA: --Steady there, Lane. I'm sure Darren won't let Sandi kiss him.

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Unless she surprises him--

QUINN: (Wicked smirk, enjoys Jane's sqirming:) --Like you did my bro at that weird Zen place? (Now Jane glares at Quinn through the mirror) I dunno--Sandi's pretty slick with her tounge, (adds:) if you know what I mean--

DARIA: --Oh, so you've experienced that first hand, sis? I didn't know you went both ways. (Jane for once, does not smirk at Daria's barb, but still looks apprehensively at the Griffin residence, while Quinn looks at Daria wide-eyed and disgusted)

QUINN: EWWWWW! That's really gross, Daria! I meant, I heard a guy tell me how she kissed! (Pauses, then adds:) After he went out with me, of course.

DARIA: (Deadpan, looks in the mirror at Quinn:) So it's not only fashions and the amount of boys you both compete over, but now over who kisses the best? (Smirks:) What's next, who's gonna be better in b--(sees Jane getting out of the SUV:) Jane, where in the hell are you going?

JANE: (Looks back through the passenger side window:) Where do you think, Daria? This is her last chance, and she's gonna try something, I just know it! (Leaves)

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes:) Not with my bro, she isn't! (Gets out and follows Jane)

DARIA: Uh, guys? (Thought v.o.: Wonderful--now we're on a damn reconnaissance mission--too bad I didn't bring my infra-red goggles.) (Sighs, gets out and follows Jane and Quinn)

Darren and Sandi came up to the door.

DARREN: Well, I hope you had a good time, my sister's little "interruption" notwithstanding, so if there's nothing else--? (Starts to turn around to leave)

SANDI: (Alarmed, grabs Darren's shoulder:) Uh, like, wait, Darren! (Looks up at the starry night sky:) It's like, a beautiful night, isn't it? The moon looks so pretty an' stuff. (Begins to pucker her mouth up, thought v.o.: Just a little closer--)

DARREN: (Steals a glance at the sky, then at Sandi:) Oh, uh, yes it is, Sandi --all of those stars are making me feel--tired. Well, I've got to go, goodnight--(starts to leave, again, this time goes down the walkway quickly)

SANDI: (Starts to frown, then:) DARREN!! (Darren flinches partway down the walk, slowly turns around) I, like, think you should uh--

DARREN: (Sighs heavily:) --Kiss you to end the "date", Sandi? (Looks at her pointedly:) You know I can't do that.

SANDI: (Walks towards him in a seductive manner, smirks:) And why not? Jane doesn't like, have to know.

At the same time, Jane, Quinn, and Daria were standing behind some tall bushes a house down from the Griffins, watching and hearing the exchange. The girls began to speak in hushed tones, with Jane beginning the exchange.

JANE: (Glares:) But I do know--and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that tramp kiss Darren!

QUINN: (Ditto:) You an' me both, Jane! I'm not gonna let Sandi rub that in my face!

DARIA: (Deadpan voice:) You two do realize that if she sees either one of you, especially you again, Quinn, that she'll kick you out of the Fashion Club, and that all of the begging and flattery in the known universe won't change Sandi's mind in letting you back in this time? (Looks at Jane:) Jane, I think you should trust Darren's judgement, and let him handle this.

Jane looked like she was about to say something to Daria, then looked down and sighed. Incidentally, Quinn glared at Daria for a second, then did the same thing.

JANE: Damn--you're right, Daria--you're right. I gotta trust Darren.

QUINN: This just makes me so mad--an' I can't do a damn thing except watch it! (Crosses her arms, pouts, resumes watching with the others)

Darren held Sandi out at arm's length, and spoke.

DARREN: No, but I'd know, Sandi--I couldn't face Jane and pretend to tell her that nothing happened (thought v.o.: Especially since I know she's probably watching me right now.) when something did. I couldn't, er--live with myself if we kissed.

SANDI: (Rolls her eyes, stomps:) Damn it, Darren--why do you haveta be so straight all of the time? It's just a little kiss! If she asks, you can, like, tell Jane that you wanted to like, uh, end the date on a "positive" note, or something or another! (Jane and Quinn roll their eyes, while Daria watches impassively)

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes, speaks in a determined tone:) No, Sandi--the deal was for a date, and I've fulfilled my end of the bargain. Goodnight. (Turns around to leave)

SANDI: (Looks desperate, thought v.o.: If this doesn't work, nothing will.) Darren, wait, I, oooops--(suddenly faux stumbles forward to the ground)

In a flash, Darren had grabbed Sandi around her waist, keeping her from falling, and she leaned against him to keep her balance, on his chest. Jane, Quinn, and now even Daria looked at the scene, wide-eyed, and surprised.

JANE: (Alarm bells going off:) Ohhelldamnitall--(looks at Daria, exasperated:) sorry, Daria, Quinn--but I can't allow this--(starts to come out of the bushes)

QUINN: (Gasps at the scene, frowns:) Hell no, I don't think so, Sandi! (Begins to follow Jane, thought v.o.: I gotta try that myself on a date!)

DARIA: (Deadpan:) And all hell promptly breaks loose. I hope Quinn enjoys beauty school. (Begins to follow both through the bushes)

Simultaneously, Darren's face was only inches from Sandi's. He looked at her wide-eyed. Darren, you idiot! You should've known this was a trick! Sandi smirked wickedly--she had him just where she wanted him.

SANDI: (Closes her eyes, thought v.o.: You're mine, Darren! Pucker up!) (Begins to close the remaining distance)

Suddenly, the front door of the Griffin's residence opened, and Tom Griffin stood in the doorway in his pajamas and housecoat, frowning. Jane and Quinn stopped in their tracks when they saw Mr. Griffin, doing it so fast, Daria almost stumbled over both of them. Both Quinn and Jane looked at each other foolishly, then went back into the bushes, dragging a surprised Daria back with them on each arm, then resumed their watching. Mr Griffin started to speak as he walked down the small walkway to Darren and Sandi.

MR. GRIFFIN: (Looks incensed, but struggles to actually appear to be:) And um--just what, pray tell, were you doing with my daughter, young man?

DARREN: (Wide-eyed, gently pushes Sandi away from him:) Er, ah, it's not what it looks like, Mr. Griffin, really! You see, your daughter fell forward, and--

SANDI: (Cuts him off, glares at her father:) Fatheeer! You like, ruined a private moment, here! Would you like, leave us alone now, (pauses, smirks:) or should I like, get mother to come out here, an' stuff?

For the tiniest instant, Tom Griffin turned pale--for the tiniest instant, that is. He then frowned even more deeply, and turned a very deep shade of purple, something both Darren and Sandi caught onto extremely quickly.

MR. GRIFFIN: (Roars, points to the open front door:) SANDI FELICIA GRIFFIN, GET YOUR ASS IN THE HOUSE THIS INSTANT! (Sandi is stunned at his outburst, then sheepishly goes by her scowling father, only to stop at the doorway, turn around, and give Mr. Griffin a cold glare) (In the bushes, Quinn is trying like crazy not to bust out laughing, but is just barely doing so, thanks to Daria and Jane holding their hands over her mouth and her while watching Darren and Mr. Griffin)

(Note to reader: Hey, I'm only guessing Sandi's middle name, here!)

SANDI: We'll see what happens tomorrow when mother finds out what you've done, Father. (Looks at Darren, her face softens a bit:) Goodnight, Darren--I really did have a good time with you tonight. Perhaps we can do it again some time. (Turns around, goes into the house and saunters cooly up the stairs)

DARREN: (Thought v.o., sighs, watches her go up: Not in this lifetime, or any other one, if I can help it.)

Mr. Griffin gave a very relieved sigh of his own, and turned to a now-worried Darren.

DARREN: (Holds up his hands:) Uh, Mr. Griffin, I know you might not believe me, but I swear I did not--

MR. GRIFFIN: (Breaks out into a slow smile:) --It's okay, Darren--I believe you.

DARREN: (Dumbfounded beyond belief:) Whaaaat? But--but--

MR. GRIFFIN: (Smirks:) I sneaked out of bed and waited downstairs for the two of you to come in. I've been watching the whole scene since you two came up to our home. I figured you needed a break from my daughter's--er, "advancements", sort to speak.

DARREN: (Now regains his senses:) I--don't--understand, Mr. Griffin. Why--

MR. GRIFFIN: --Why did I do what I did? (Grows quiet:) Well, son, it's like this--my wife basically runs this house. I suspected you probably guessed this was true when you came here for Sandi tonight, am I right? (Darren looks uncomfortable, says nothing) Well, it's the truth, I might as well admit it--Linda basically makes all of the decisions here, and I'm just a stooge. (Smirks:) I'll just bet that your birth father Jake is more in "control" of his home than I am. (Darren holds his tounge, though it's quite a challenge for him to do so, while Quinn snorts, and Jane and Daria smirk) Anyway, my daughter basically is a spoiled brat, even more so than my two sons, thanks to my wife. Sandi gets her way with everyone, save Linda, (sighs:) including me. My daughter, as you've just witnessed, has at times even used Linda as a sort of "shield" against me. (Quinn gasps in surprise, smirks some more, while Daria and Jane shrug) Generally, when she comes home late on a date, I don't say anything because I know Linda will take her side, saying (in a slightly bitter tone:) that Sandi's "responsible enough". I'd tell you why this is so, but it's kind of--long and--complicated. (Pauses, looks at Darren, frowns in thought:) Tonight, however, I decided to make an exception in your case. You looked as if you didn't want to be here, correct? (Darren slowly nods in the affirmative) Ah, good--I wondered why you looked sort of depressed tonight when you came to pick up my daughter. I wanted to ask you out of curiousity, but Linda was there, and I couldn't. Sandi's been raving about you around our dinner table since she first saw you with your--cou--er, no, that's not quite right--sister Quinn at that pizza place she goes out to with her Fashion Club friends. I've never seen her go on about a young fellow like she did about you, Darren. (Darren cocks a surprised eyebrow, while Jane and Quinn look at each other shocked, and Daria simply continues to look at the scene impassively)

DARREN: Ah, don't take what I confirmed to you wrong about not wanting to go out with your daughter tonight, Mr. Griffin--as I told Sandi, she could have any guy she wants--it's just that I already have a girlfriend that (raises his voice a tad louder to enable Jane to hear) I like very much (Jane gives a contented smirk, while Quinn rolls her eyes, and Daria continues to look impassive), and I'm kind of eager to get back to her after I leave here tonight.

MR. GRIFFIN: Of course, Darren--though I am curious to know one thing--why did you go out with my daughter tonight if you already have a girlfriend?

DARREN: (After a moment, sighs:) Well, Mr. Griffin--I basically did it to keep my sister Quinn in the Fashion Club--(Quinn looks down a bit red-faced, a little ashamed, while Jane glares at her for a moment, and Daria continues her impassive look) your daughter would've kicked her out if I didn't. Actually, you just said the reason yourself without realizing it--that Quinn is Daria's and mine's sister, and not cousin. Sandi, your wife, and my birth mother found out about it this week while we were eating at that Milligan's place. Sandi was about to use Quinn's--er, lie as an excuse to do the deed.

MR. GRIFFIN: (Nods:) Ah, now I'm beginning to understand what's going on here--Linda seemed quite excited about your going out on this "date" with Sandi--(ponders:) I wonder if Linda knew what Sandi was up to?

DARREN: (Speculates privately, tempted to say "yes", but shrugs instead:) I don't know, sir--I'm just glad that it's over for tonight--(hastily adds:) no offense against your daughter again, sir.

MR. GRIFFIN: And none taken again, Darren. (Hesitates:) You know, it's too bad in a way--I kind of would've liked to have have a nice young man such as yourself date my daughter--(Darren, Jane, Quinn, and now even Daria shudder at that thought) you seemed to really get to Sandi like no other fellow as I've said--making her seem--nicer. (Smirks:) Are you sure I can't change your mind about dating her some more?

DARREN: (Wide-eyed, starts to back up slowly:) Uh, ah, that's quite all right, Mr. Griffin--(looks at watch:) boy, look at the time! Well, I've got to go, sir! (Turns around quickly, starts almost running to his car)

MR. GRIFFIN: Wait, son, I was just kid--(cuts himself off, sighs, thought v.o.: Well, partially kidding, anyway.) (Turns around, goes inside his house, shuts the door)

Darren quickly came to his car, and took the keys from his pocket so fast, he fumbled with them, and dropped them on the street. He sighed, and squatted down to pick them up. As he grabbed them and rose back up, he saw Daria, Quinn, and Jane come out to the car from behind the bushes. He smiled when he saw them, going over.

DARREN: (Hugs Jane, relieved:) God, am I glad to see you all!

JANE: (Smirks wickedly at him with her arms around his neck:) Likewise. (Suddenly gives him a quick kiss on the lips, while Quinn rolls her eyes, disgusted, and Daria gives a quick smirk)

DARREN: (Recovers, smiles down at Jane:) I'm certainly not complaining, but what was that for?

JANE: (Ponders playfully for a moment:) Call it--the "official" end of your "date" with Sandi, only I'm the one giving you the "closure", and not Sandi.

DARREN: (Smiles:) Fine by me. (Pauses:) Eh--about what happened in front of the Griffins, when Sandi, ah, "stumbled" into me--

JANE: (Waves him off, dismissive:) Ahhh--no sweat. I wasn't worried in the least!

QUINN: (Comes up with Daria:) Neither was I, bro--I knew you wouldn't fall for Sandi's tricks! (Daria gives both girls her "Give me a break" look)

DARREN: (Frowns slightly:) I see you're here, Quinn--let me guess--Stacy and Tiffany let you down in your "hour of need", and you're so angry with them, you decided to ride back here with Daria and Jane.

QUINN: (Now sheepish:) Uh, yeah, you could say that. (Sighs, glances over at Daria, looks down:) Um, Darren, I'm--sorry for comin' out there tonight an' almost ruinin' my chance to stay in th' Fashion Club. It was--stupid an' dumb to do so, and I hope you can forgive me. (Suddenly brushes past a surprised Jane, and hugs Darren tightly:) Please don't stay mad at me!

DARREN: (Surprised, pats her lightly on the back while seeing Daria and Jane give monumental eye-rolls, sighs:) Okay, Quinn--okay, you're forgiven! (Holds her from him, looks down at her pointedly:) Just promise me that you won't do something foolish like that again, okay? (Quinn eagerly nods)

DARIA: (Deadpan:) "Promises, promises". If Dionne Warrick were dead, she'd be turning in her grave by now--but since she's still alive, she's just turning--her stomach would be anyway--just like mine is right now. (Quinn glares at Daria, while Jane smirks, and Darren tries not to laugh)

DARREN: Now, now, Daria--(looks back down to Quinn:) and I owe you an apology, too--I'm sorry for snapping at you like that on the dance floor. I just--(pauses:) was tired, and I didn't want you and Sandi to go at it again. (Gives a quick smile:) Can you forgive me for that?

QUINN: (Giggles with that singy-songy sound, squeezes Darren, lays her head against his chest:) Of course I can, silly!

DARIA: Well, now that we've had our share of sentimental crap, can we go home now? It's getting awfully damn late. (Pauses:) Jane and I have some um--"personal stuff" to do first thing tomorrow morning.

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) We do?

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes slightly:) Yes, Jane--we're going to look into something tomorrow, remember?

JANE: (Now remembers:) Oh yeah--tomorrow! (Looks sheepishly between Darren and Daria:) I--guess--I won't, um, be able to have our now-customary jog tomorrow morning, Darren?

Darren and Quinn looked at each other, confused for a moment, then Darren spoke.

DARREN: Uh, oookay--I'll take a raincheck on that then, Jane. Will you two need any er, help with your, ah, "personal stuff"?

DARIA: Nope, bro, we'll be fine, but thanks for inquiring anyway. (Quickly leaves, but grabs Quinn's arm:) Come on, "sis", and let's get on home. We can't forget that our bro here is supposed to be out with Jane, and I've gotta "smuggle" you home under mom and dad's noses if they're not asleep already. We'll see you guys later. (Leaves with Quinn to the SUV)

Darren and Jane watched watched them get into the SUV and leave.

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Why would Daria need to "smuggle" Quinn home, Jane?

JANE: (Smirks:) I'll explain while you're taking me home, Darren.

Darren opened the passenger-side door for Jane, and then got in on his side, and then drove off. Unknown to them, Sandi had witnessed the scene (including seeing Daria and Quinn) from her street-facing dark bedroom. She narrowed her eyes for a moment, deeply frowned, then changed into her nightgown, and got into bed.

(Scene is the Morgendorffer's, a few minutes later)

Daria drove the SUV into the driveway and turned off the headlights. Quinn became a nervous wreak when she saw that the lights were still on in the living room.

QUINN: (Bites her lip:) Gaaawd! Why do mom an' dad still haveta be up? (Narrows her eyes at Daria, warning stare:) You'd better keep your end of the bargain, Daria--if they catch me dressed like this, an' not at Stacy's--

DARIA: (Sighs:) --Relax, sibling--I told you that I would get you in without them seeing you, and I will. (Pauses:) I guess you weren't really serious when you apologized to Darren for making a fool out of yourself earlier this evening at that nightclub.

QUINN: (After a moment:) Daaaaria--I was serious about apologizin' an' stuff, an' I know I did the right thing 'cause Darren apologized to me for snappin' at me in front of Sandi. (Looks down, grows quiet:) I guess that old sayin' about "One good thing deserves another" is true.

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Quinn, it's--(sighs:) never mind. C'mon, let's get out. (Gets out with Quinn, goes up to the door:) Now, I'm gonna go in first, but I'll leave the door unlocked and barely open for you to sneak in after I distract mom and dad. Keep an eye out, now. (Unlocks door, goes in, while Quinn peeps through the crack in the door)

Daria took a quick deep breath and walked into the living room, where she saw Helen doing some work, while Jake was nodding on the couch watching the TV. Both got up when they saw her. Instead of stopping, however, Daria kept walking.

HELEN: (Surprised tone:) Daria? Is something wrong, sweetie? Why aren't you stopping?

DARIA: (Still walks:) Can't stop. Thirsty. Follow me into the kitchen, and I'll give you the lowdown about the date. (Helen and Jake look at each other for a second, and follow Daria into the kitchen, while Quinn takes the opportunity to slip in when they do so, and tiptoes upstairs to her room.)

Daria went to the refrigerator to get a can of soda while Helen and Jake eagerly sat down at the table to await hearing their daughter's account of something that both of them knew all too well happens rarely--their oldest daughter had gone on a date with a boy. Daria opened the soda and leaned against the counter while drinking.

HELEN: All right, sweetie--your father and I are waiting--how was your date?

JAKE: (Frowns, jumps in:) Yeah--and did the punk put his hands in places on you where they shouldn't have been, Kiddo? (Eyes turn red, dangerous tone:) Because if he did, I'll destroy his--

HELEN: --JAKE!

JAKE: (Smiles suddenly:) I'm calm, honey! How'd the date go, Kiddo?

DARIA: (Shrugs, takes a sip of soda:) We went to a place outside of Carter county. It was dull--"Martin" and I just weren't compatible with each other--he, um--just talked about his computers and web sites the whole date. I listened politely, occasionally adding my "world-renowned" wit and humor in between, and that was that. I dropped him back off at his "place", and then I came home.

HELEN: But sweetie, it's so late! You mean to tell us that's all there was to the date, him talking about computers and web sites up until you took him home?

DARIA: (Finishes her soda:) Yep--sorry. (Faux yawn:) Boy, I'm exausted--these "dates" really wear a gal out--good thing I don't go on too many of them. (Starts to leave the kitchen:) Goodnight--

HELEN: (Smiles:) Hold on, sweetie--your father and I have some wonderful news we've received while you and Darren were out--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Quinn's moving out? (Helen rolls her eyes)

JAKE: No, Kiddo! Your mom and I are gonna hit it rich tomorrow! (Helen glares a little at Jake, which he notices) Uh, I hope we will, at least.

DARIA: You're gonna rob a bank? A relative died and left you some money? Quinn's beauty tips actually are gonna become crappy best sellers for a idiot publisher who's decided to sign her to a long-term book contract?

HELEN: (Shakes her head:) No, no, Daria! (Sighs:) We'll tell you, Darren, and Quinn tomorrow. If it works out, you and Quinn will be able to go to college without the financial burdens of tuition to worry about--

DARIA: (As she begins to walk out:) Funny--I thought "financial burdens" were for the parental units to worry about--we of the offspring society just are supposed to concern ourselves with bumming money off from the parental units while attending the aforementioned higher institute of learning. This is quite a new development, here--I'll have to comtemplate this while I happily dream of new ways to torture Quinn. (Leaves while Jake looks confused, and Helen rests her head in her hand on the table, sighs in an exasperated manner)

Daria went upstairs, and was about to go in her padded room, when she saw Quinn quickly peek out from her own room, curious.

QUINN: Did mom and dad suspect anything, Daria?

DARIA: You're still alive, aren't you? Relax--you're safe and secure in your own little bedchamber now--(adds:) of course, if Stacy or Tiffany suddenly call you tonight to beg for your forgiveness, and mom and dad happen to answer the phone, then I'd consider making out a last will and testament. (Smirks, goes into her room)

Quinn suddenly gasped, turned pale, and slowly went back into her room, privately terrified.

Darren drove up to the Morgendorffers having dropped off Jane at her home. He got out of his car, and using the key Jake had gotten him, came into the living room. Darren gave a quick look around--there was no shouting, so he assumed that Quinn was successfully "smuggled" in by Daria. Helen and Jake were coming out of the kitchen when they saw him.

HELEN: (Smiles:) Oh, Darren--how was your date with Jane?

DARREN: (Uneasy tone, shrugs:) Oh, uh, it was ah--fine, Helen, Jake--just your standard date, nothing to write home about. We ate at a restaurant, went to the movies, and so-and-so. (Pauses:) Er, I saw the SUV in the driveway when I came in, which I'm assuming means that Daria's here from her date. Jane and I were eager to know how it went.

HELEN: (Sighs:) It was quite dull, son, according to Daria at least, and--

JAKE: --Boy, first Daria has a dull date with that "Marty" fellow, and then you say you and Jane had a "standard" date, son? (Starts getting into rage mode, frowns, while Helen and Darren give each other uncomfortable looks:) Ohhhh--when I was about your's and Daria's age, I knew how to have a good time on my dates! The Old Man wanted me to stay under his thumb, but I showed him! I sneaked out at night, and went to the drive-ins, dance halls, and all the damn make-out points! (Gets a deranged look, which spooks Darren a bit:) Ol' "Mad Dog" couldn't stop me until he sent me to that damn military school, and--

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) --Enough, Jake! (Jake immediately does) Darren, your father and I have some fantastic news we want to share with you and the girls tomorrow. When Quinn comes in then, we'll tell you. (Gasps:) Oh, dear--I almost forgot to tell you that a (looks up:) "Mr. Gerald" called concerning a "G.W. about Sanchez". (Darren's eyes are now huge) He said you'd know what the message is all about.

DARREN: (Mouth agape, walks up to Helen and puts his hands on her shoulders, excited:) About "Sanchez"? (Looks down at her pointedly:) Are you sure?

HELEN: Why, yes, son, I'm sure, but what--

DARREN: (Now begins to rush up the stairs:) --I'll tell you two later! I promise! (Goes up and out of sight while Helen and Jake look at each other, confused)

Darren rushed into his room and grabbed his cell phone, only pausing long enough to take out the business card that Woo had given him while Darren had visited Woo's office earlier this month. Darren guessed that Woo wasn't at work since it was so late here (and on the West coast as well), so Darren was going to try Woo's home number first, then if Woo wasn't there, then his pager number. Finally, a break. Perhaps the nightmare of living the lie would be over. He glanced at the card long enough to ascertain what numbers he'd need to call, then punched the numbers.

In his apartment, a rumpled-dressed Gerald Woo leaned against the wall in his living room, staring out of the window at the distant nighttime skyline of Los Angeles depressed through a drunken stupor, thanks to a bottle of Chablis white wine that was sitting on the floor beside him, and with good reason, at least to him. He had let down his client, and was made to look like a fool in the process. One of the oldest tricks in the book, and he fell for it. What an fool you are, Woo. Maybe you should just advertise your stupidity to every potential client in the city and to the whole damn world. You were used, you moron, the very thing that you're supposed to avoid, and you walked right into it.

Woo poured another glass of the wine, and was about to take another drink, when the cell phone on his sofa rang. Woo stared at the phone for a long moment. He knew for some reason it had to be his client Darren Appleton, a client who was expecting to hear some good news about Sanchez. Woo dreaded answering the phone, but he knew he had to. He had to tell his client the truth. He sighed heavily for a second, staggered over to the sofa, then gripped the phone tightly, and clicked it on following the sixth ring. He clenched his teeth when he heard Darren's excited voice.

DARREN: Woo? Hey! For a moment there, I thought you weren't home! You left me a message about Sanchez! Please tell me you have good news!

WOO: (Gathers up his wits, speaks in a bit of a slurred tone of voice:) Uhh, Daarren? II--have ssoome bad news--

DARREN: (In a dreaded tone:) --Oh, no--Woo, what happened? (Pauses:) Say, you don't sound right--is something wrong--(now in a very stunned low voice:) have you--have you been drinking?

WOO: (Frowns:) Neeever mind that, Daaaren! II juust have to tell you II've failed you! SSanchez iss dead!

There was a very long silence on the other end.

DARREN: (In a low voice:) Woo, what did you say? S-Sanchez is dead?

WOO: Yeess, Daaarren--I failed you. II waas trrricked. My offfice was bbuuuged.

DARREN: Your office was bugged, Woo? Do you have any idea who did it or who could've murdered Sanchez?

WOO: (Tries to stay coherent:) Nnnoo, weee don't, Daaarren--II'm sssorry. III must loook like a d-d-damn foool to yooou. II d-did my b-best, annd I acc--acce--take full resp--respon--reshib--blame. Ifff yoooou want to f-f-fire me, III'll understand. T-the p-pooolice are i-inveestigating now.

There was another very long silence on the other end.

DARREN: (Sighs:) Woo--look, uh--maybe you should sleep this off, and maybe you can, ah, call sometime tomorrow. (Pauses:) I don't know if hearing this will do any good, especially in your--ah, condition, but, you--you did your best, and you can't blame yourself--

WOO: (Cuts him off:) --Ooooh, yes III can, Daaaarren! III s-s-screwed it up! III waas an iji--idi--idiot!

DARREN: (In a very quiet voice:) Uh, goodnight, Woo. (Hangs up)

WOO: Waaaait! Dooon't you shang--hang up ooon me, Daaarrren--(gets quiet himself:) dooon't--hang--up. Damn. (Pauses for a moment, then drops the phone on the floor, and plops down on the sofa, leans back, and deeply sighs, stares at the ceiling, then suddenly passes out.)

Darren sat down on his bed, shocked beyond words. Sanchez was--dead? Woo had apparently been--drinking out of guilt that he could not stop it? What in the world was going on? He looked down at the floor for a moment, feeling completely at a loss. Who could he turn to now? As far as he could tell, Woo said that the police were on the case now. What would that mean? Darren couldn't be sure if he could trust anyone outside of the Morgendorffers, Jane, Curtis, his aunt Millie, Elenor, or Claude--even his uncle Will--certainly he couldn't drag any of them into this--everything had been riding on Sanchez being captured--now, however... perhaps he should call the police and tell what he knew, since they knew about Sanchez? It would expose risking attention, or at the least, provide protection for Jane, his birth family, and friends, after he talked to the police, and told them his story. If whoever killed Sanchez came after him, fine. Just as long as they wouldn't go after the others--

His cell phone rung on its own, and Darren wondered for a moment whether Woo was calling him back to try and explain what had happened--he hoped not--as far as Darren could tell, Woo was out of it. Darren turned on the phone.

DARREN: Hello?

VOICE: Ah, hello, nephew. I didn't mean to wake you.

DARREN: (Cocks eyebrow in surprise:) Uncle Will? You're the last person I would expect to call here! No, you didn't wake me--I just got back from a--"date". I was going to call you about the NTSB's report from this week concerning the crash--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off:) --Good, very good--uh, I don't know how I can break this news to you, Darren, it's strange, but since you were going to tell me about the crash, there's something I have to tell you--(faux dramatic pause:) it--wasn't an accident.

DARREN: (Stunned, narrows eyes:) How--how did you know it wasn't an accident, Uncle Will?

WILLIAM: Why, the police told me when they called me earlier tonight, my boy. They said that the killer of your--parents was murdered. They added something about a sabataged fuel line. (Pauses, faux surprise:) Hold it--how did you know it wasn't an accident, Darren? Did the police call you, too?

DARREN: (A little sheepish:) Uh, not exactly, Uncle Will. (Sighs:) Well, since the police told you what happened, I'll fill you in on what I know--

Darren told William of retaining Woo, and of everything Woo told him.

WILLIAM: (Faux disbelief:) I can't--I can't believe this! The police didn't tell me Woo told them that he found out what was going on! (Faux gasp:) Why, I was under the impression that they told me! This is incredible! (Pauses:) What about Woo? He failed you--did you fire him for allowing this bastard Sanchez to die?

DARREN: (Hesitates, decides not to say anything about Woo's drinking:) Uncle Will, er--can we discuss something else? I--don't want to talk about Woo anymore tonight, you know--?

WILLIAM: Of course, nephew, of course--and who could blame you? (Pauses, becomes angry:) Well, I know he'll never work for us again--and when I'm finished, never for anyone else, either!

DARREN: I--guess, Uncle. (Realizes:) W-what about aunt Millie? She doesn't know about--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off gently:) --Calm down, Darren--I'll tell her the--horribly tragic news. (Pauses:) What are you going to do now, my boy?

DARREN: I-I'm going to tell the Morgendorffers who I am tomorrow, Uncle Will--I can't stand to do this anymore--that and the fact that I can't put them in danger--

WILLIAM: (Slightly alarmed, but goes into "control" mode:) --Uh, Darren, don't misunderstand me, but I'd like to ask you to hold off telling them until at least Monday morning.

DARREN: (Frowns:) What, Uncle Will? Why? I might as well--

WILLIAM: --Darren, please listen to me. I'd like to inform your aunt, the Board, and the stockholders first before you tell the Morgendorffers--I asked the police to wait until then, and they agreed as well. We have to prepare them all for the incredible onslaught of attention this is going to bring, not to mention how this is going to affect our company's standing on the world markets. I'm not trying to sound cold here, Darren, but we all have to stand together on this--this--unbelievable situation. All I ask is for two more days, and everything will--come in place. (Pauses:) Will you please let me have that time, my boy?

DARREN: (After a long moment:) I--I guess so, Uncle--but I'm worried about my birth family and girlfriend. What if--what if whoever killed Sanchez tries to come after me, and goes after them to get to me, instead?

WILLIAM: (Faux surprised tone:) Oh, you have a girlfriend, too, eh? Excellent, Darren--I'd like to meet her!

DARREN: (Gives a slightly exasperated sigh:) Perhaps later, Uncle, but what about her and my birth family?

WILLIAM: Hmmm--yes, I see your dilemma--(pauses:) have you seen anyone or anything suspicious going on while you've been in this "Lawndale" place, Darren?

DARREN: (With a wretched look on his face:) N-no, none that I've noticed--

WILLIAM: --And no one outside of me, your aunt Millie, Curtis, Elenor, and Claude know where you are, correct?

DARREN: Y-yes, Uncle Will--what are you getting at?

WILLIAM: What makes you think that whoever killed Sanchez knows where you are, then?

DARREN: I-I'm not sure--(narrows his eyes:) but what if someone goes after one of them, and tries to kidnap them to find out where I am, Uncle Will? For that matter, what about aunt Millie, Curtis, you, and the others?

WILLIAM: In the case of your aunt, Darren--remember, she has a security detail with her while she's in Europe. As for Elenor, and Claude, they're safe at the mansion with the security there, and I personally can vouch for each and every of the people who work there around the clock, so our staff is secured in place--despite what Woo said about trusting them. Now, as for Curtis, I could order some people to protect him and his family with their permission, (adds with doubt:) though I'm still not convinced if anyone would really do something, especially after I've heard that the media's been after him trying to find out where you are. Someone would have to be a fool to pursue a person who's currently in the spotlight, and draw attention to themselves.

DARREN: (Ponders:) You're right, Uncle--you know, in an ironic way, Curtis is actually safer being in the "spotlight" as you've said, so I guess I don't have to worry about him, either.

WILLIAM: Exactly--and as for myself, I'm certainly not going to move without having some people around me. To be honest with you, Darren, I'd wager to say that everyone is safe, including yourself, and your birth family, and girlfriend. (Adds:) I mean even if they did know where you were, and came to this "Lawndale", you'd be the only one they'd go after--they wouldn't see your birth family and girlfriend as important--no offense.

DARREN: (Smirks:) None taken, Uncle. Better me than them if they did. I--suppose you have a point. (Sighs:) Okay, Uncle--I'll--I'll wait until Monday--(frowns:) but not beyond that, I don't care what you say, got that?

WILLIAM: (After a pause, in a very low, slightly dark tone:) Oh, I've "got" that, Darren. (Lightens tone:) Don't fret, my boy--in fact, I think that things will brighten up soon, I really do.

DARREN: I wish I could share in your optimism, Uncle Will--(looks at alarm clock, eyebrow cocked:) whoa--it's almost 1:30 a.m. (Pauses:) If there's nothing else, Uncle Will, I'm really bushed--

WILLIAM: --Nothing that I can think of, Darren--and, well--try to get some sleep, all right? I'll start contacting your aunt, the stockholders, and the Board first thing in the morning, and I'll call you--(pauses:) Sunday morning to see how you're doing.

DARREN: All right, Uncle Will--goodnight.

WILLIAM: Goodnight, nephew. (Hangs up)

Darren clicked off his phone, turned off his bedside lamp, then laid down on his bed, looking at the ceiling. He wondered briefly if anyone else in his birth family did such a thing while deep in thought for some reason, then tenatively closed his eyes, thinking about Monday when he would tell his birth family and Jane who he really was.

William smirked wickedly as he turned off his phone, and laid back in his bed, smugly.

WILLIAM: (Thought v.o.: Enjoy your last full day on earth tomorrow, Darren, my dear "nephew".) (Closes his eyes)

The morning sun had shown through the curtains of Darren's room. Darren opened his eyes wearily and looked at his alarm clock, and became wide-eyed. The time was 10:30 a.m.--Darren almost berated himself for forgetting to turn the alarm clock on, then sighed--it was just as well--he did not sleep too well last night, and he figured he needed the extra time anyway. He had slept through most of the morning, and missed his daily jog--it would be too warm to start now. He remembered that Jane wouldn't be able to go with him, anyway, with this "personal stuff" she had to do with his sister, Daria. Darren briefly wondered what it was--a birthday? His wasn't for another two months (just before he went back to Eastward), and he didn't recall telling anyone, save his grandmothers, though he certainly didn't need anything. Maybe it was Quinn's birthday? It wasn't that far around the corner. He chuckled at that thought--Jane would never go that far to do something for Quinn as to get up in the morning to find a birthday gift for Quinn--Daria wouldn't either, for that matter. Perhaps it was for Helen or Jake--? Whatever the case, he decided to put on the backburner for the moment, getting out of bed, and stretching, then getting some clothes out of his bag, and preparing for the upcoming day.

Darren was going to the bathroom to change out his housecoat and pajamas, when he ran into Helen, who was coming upstairs, fully dressed in her casual clothing.

HELEN: (Grins:) Good morning, son--how was your sleep? I thought about waking you, but you came in so late last night, I decided to let you sleep in.

DARREN: (Smiles quietly:) I--appreciate that, and it was--fitful, Helen. (Looks around:) Is everyone up, yet?

HELEN: You just missed Daria by about 30 minutes, Darren--she wanted to get out and get to Jane's for some reason--said she wanted to get some "personal stuff" done. Jake's out with a client, and took him for a golf match--he wanted to take you, but after I--(frowns slightly:) "spoke" to him, he thought the better of it, and left. (Darren cocks an eyebrow at the way Helen said "spoke") Ooooh, and Quinn came in early this morning--she told me so when I came into her room to put away some of her clean clothes, and found her in her bed. (Darren shows a very tiny smirk) She said she couldn't sleep too well at Stacy's, so she left there, and came back to catch a few hours more of sleep. (Shrugs:) Oh well--

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: Quinn thinks quick on her feet, er--I mean, on her back when she wants to, I'll give her that.) Ah, yes--well, I hope Quinn had a--good time with her friends last night.

HELEN: I'm sure she did, son. (Realizes:) Oh, I almost forgot! (Begins to grin:) Last night, your father and I had an incredible financial opportunity drop into our laps. (Pauses:) Jake and I've already told Daria about it, and I'll tell Quinn after she gets up. Darren, I'd like to tell you during breakfast, if that's okay--

DARREN: (Smiles, shrugs:) --Sure, I'd like that--let me take a shower, change, and we can then talk. (Prepares to go into bathroom)

HELEN: Oh, Darren--I meant to ask--did everything work out with this "Sanchez" fellow? You seemed so excited about him for some reason--

DARREN: (Downcast look, sighs, in a low tone:) Sorry, Helen--it--didn't work out, I'm afraid--excuse me. (Goes into bathroom, while Helen watches after him sadly)

(Scene changes to the Lawndale library, the same time)

Daria and a very tired-looking Jane sat at a table in the reference section, surrounded by a large amount of microfilm and old newspaper articles. Daria was intently looking over the articles, while Jane was barely holding up her head, nodding. Daria arched an eyebrow at Jane's situation, then spoke in a low voice.

DARIA: Jane? (Smirks:) Wake up--I know you're having a difficult time in being here, but I need you to help me in finding out whether or not my bro and your boyfriend is who he says he is. Don't die on me now--(pauses, adds:) at least not until we find something.

JANE: (Yawns:) Sorry--of course, you didn't give me enough time to get my customary cup of coffee this morning, so it's partially your fault, amiga.

DARIA: (Smirks:) So noted, but I wanted to start as early as possible, and get this out of the way--besides, I could've woken you even earlier, so you shouldn't complain. (Points near the front:) You obviously haven't been here for a while, or you'd know about the coffee shop that was put in at the same time that they'd installed the new roof several months ago--the local politicians said they wanted to add a little "spice" to our library--too bad they forgot to add more books.

(Note to reader: The library where I live has a coffee shop in it--I'm doing the same thing with the library in Lawndale, too.)

JANE: (Sits up, looks wearily where Daria pointed:) Really? I missed that? Damn! (Gets up:) I'll be right back. (Leaves)

Daria looked at all the information she had concerning the Appleton family, which stretched back almost 150 years in wealth, from a profitable shipping trade. There was the story of how Arthur Appleton Sr., an aspiring techno-geek, had inherited most of the wealth from his father, industrialist Richard Appleton (the rest to his brother and sister), and proceeded to create a computer business, that, while not having the same growth as say, Microsoft, nevertheless, grew quite large, and began to diversify along the way into other business interests, such as energy, fashion (headed by Arthur Sr.'s wife Lucille), food, and the media. Along the way, Arthur's younger brother, William Appleton, had helped Arthur Sr. orchestrate many of the acquisitions throughout the years. Though there had been several takeover attempts of Appleton itself over the years, Appleton had just been large enough to thwart any such threats.

Daria examined the pictures of the Appletons, but there were none of their son, Arthur Jr., save for some baby ones. Jane can back with a large cup of cappuccino coffee, sitting down at the table, looking a little more alert. Daria glanced at Jane, privately amazed that her friend could "perk up" so fast after a cup of coffee.

JANE: So, what did you find, amiga--anything to go on, yet? (Sips her cappuccino)

DARIA: (Looks down, shuffles articles:) Nope, just some baby pics of the Appleton's son--I certainly can't tell from those if he's my bro. I've heard that his parents were very protective of their son, but this is incredible. You'd think in this modern media age, that someone would've taken his picture recently. (Pauses:) I can't even find any clear ones of Arthur Jr. at his parent's funeral--just some fuzzy ones, or pics that have someone in the way.

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Hm--that is mind-boggling. (Smirks:) My boyfriend might be a master magician, or something.

DARIA: (Not looking up:) Or something. Princess Diana might've lived if she took some lessons from the Appletons concerning privacy. (Pauses:) Hello.

JANE: (Smirks:) Howdy. (Daria turns her mouth down momentarily at Jane's attempt at humor, while Jane leans over to her, looks at the article:) Got something?

DARIA: Oh yeah. One article here from his parent's funeral lists Arthur Jr.'s middle name as "Darren"--

JANE: (Ponders, shrugs:) --So? Darren's a fairly common name.

DARIA: Wait, I'm not finished--his parent's middle names were Walter and Grace--(Jane's eyebrows raise up), the same names he told us that his adopted parents were called. It also says that his dad was head of the technology division--Darren told us the first night he was there, that his dad worked on computers, and created programs for them, what the article here says. His mom was head of the fashion division, and get this--she was also the head fashion designer, what Darren told Quinn his mom did. Also, it says Arthur Jr. is attending Eastward College, and here's the kicker--(dramatic pause:) the article says that, quote, "Arthur Appleton Jr. was still trying to recover from the death of his girlfriend, Stephanie Reardon, from a sudden cerebral hemorrhage." Now, unless there's more than one "Stephanie Reardon", and that she had a cerebral hemorrhage, too, we've got enough info here to ask my bro and your boyfriend what's up with the ruse.

There was an inordinately long pause between the two young women as they simply stared at each other.

JANE: (Hesitates:) Ooookay--so, do we show Darren the "evidence" we have now, or what?

Daria's face slowly frowned in deep thought for a long minute. Jane watched her intently, occasionally sipping the cappuccino. Daria then pointedly looked at Jane, and spoke.

DARIA (Sighs, shakes her head slowly:) No, Jane--I just--I just can't do it. (Jane sighs, privately relieved) He was telling the truth about what he's been through these past two months, especially his late fiancee's death, thank goodness, and going to Eastward--just not completely--as if he was wanting to tell us the truth, but has just stopped short of doing so for some reason. Whatever my bro's up to, I think I've--we've known him long enough to trust him. (Pauses:) You know, he might be pretending to be someone else to get away from the intense media attention, and could tell us who he really is just before he goes back to Eastward.

JANE: (Nods her head:) Yeah, that's possible, Daria--of course, it's a little ironic--Darren gets a hell of a lot of attention from the opposite sex when he goes out--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Much to your chagrin. (Jane snorts, rolls her eyes) So, I guess we should wait, then.

JANE: Agreed, amiga. (Adds:) Um, I told you I didn't care about the money that he has, and I don't, really, but I'm just kinda curious--does that article say how much he's worth?

DARIA: Nope--but it says the Appleton conglomerate's estimated worth is about $70 billion (Jane's eyes almost pop out her head, and her mouth drops), so suffice it to say that my bro's probably loaded, and then some. (Starts to gather what's lying on the table:) Help me put this all back, will you, Jane? (Looks up at Jane:) Um, Jane?

Jane was still in stun mode, having kept the same look on her face, and looking foreward in space, as if mesmerized. Daria waved her hand in front of Jane's face, and sighed.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: I can see it now--"My name is Darren Appleton, gazillionaire--I own a mansion and a yacht. Again. My name is Darren Appleton, gazillionaire--I own a mansion and a yacht. Again" I can only imagine what Quinn's gonna do when she finds out--she'll probably buy out Cashman's and the whole damn mall, and all of Lawndale, just for good measure)

(Note to reader: Daria's little quip here comes from the 1955 Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny/Elmer J. Fudd cartoon "Hare Brush", in which Bugs thinks he's Elmer and vice-versa, thanks to a psychologist and hypnosis!)

(Scene changes to Gerald Woo's apartment, the same time)

The constant pounding of the door continued until a worn-looking Gerald Woo finally woke out of his slumber on the sofa. Of course, it did not help that the noise coincided with the constant pounding of the throbbing pain in his head. He wearily got up off the sofa, holding his head, and staggered to the door, pausing only just enough to look through the peephole to see David and Leroy in the hallway. He unlocked and opened his door.

WOO: (In a tired tone:) Gentlemen, good morning.

LEROY: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Well, good morning, Woo--it's about time you let us in! For a second there, we thought you weren't here! Didn't you remember you wanted us to meet you down at the office this morning? David and I were tempted to call Carla and get her to let us in your apartment!

DAVID: We tried paging you, and calling, but the operator said your phone was out of order. (Smirks:) You forgot to pay the bill, Woo?

WOO: (Glares:) Not funny, David. (Turns around, while the others come into the apartment behind him, picks up the cell phone off the floor, and clicks it off:) This was why the operator thought my phone was out of order. (Plops down on the couch, rubs his throbbing head)

David and Leroy suddenly looked around, then at each other, and stared at Woo for a moment. Woo frowned up at them for an instant, perplexed.

WOO: Is something wrong, you two?

DAVID: Well, uh--(motions head at the empty wine bottle on the floor:) that.

Woo followed David's look, then sighed.

WOO: Yes, I was--drinking last night. I was--depressed.

LEROY: Aw, Woo--man, we told you yesterday--

WOO: (Gets up, cuts Leroy off, frowns:) --You told me yesterday that I did nothing wrong, and I couldn't have known about the bugging, but I also remembered that I said there was no excuse for me not suspecting something, and there wasn't! (Grabs sides of his head, winces:) Uhhhgh!

DAVID: (Rolls his eyes:) Okay--so you've just found out that you're not perfect like every other P.I. in this city, Woo--(Woo narrows his eyes at David) but get over it! Darren Appleton still needs you! (Woo looks away for a moment, ponders) You can't just sit here feeling sorry for yourself, while whoever killed Sanchez is still out there, and may now go after Darren Appleton!

LEROY: David's right, Woo--you've gotta shake this off.

Woo sat back on his sofa, and sighed, deep in thought. He then clenched his teeth, and got a determined look on his face, looking up at David and Leroy.

WOO: You're--you're right, the both of you. What in the hell was I thinking? I can't let Darren Appleton down now, and--

Woo's eyes suddenly went wide in realization, and he turned pale.

DAVID: Er--what's wrong, Woo?

WOO: --oh no--I just remembered something--I was drunk when I talked to Darren last night! He called to ask about Sanchez! Damn! What he must think of me right now! (Reaches for cell phone, clicks it on, punches buttons)

At the Morgendorffer's, a-trying-to-look-interested Darren was downstairs listening to an very animated Helen (no pun intended) talking about her and Jake's "good fortune" over a late breakfast of waffles and bacon (fixed by Darren) in the kitchen. He did not hear his cell phone ringing upstairs in his room (partly because of Helen's excited voice describing what the "good fortune" was). The cell phone ran about ten times before it stopped.

Woo clicked off his cell phone, and sighed, looking down in a defeated daze.

WOO: Well, I can't reach him--either he's not there at the moment, or--(in a very low, resigned tone of voice:) he's choosing not to talk to me because of what happened last night.

DAVID: (Tries to sound reassuring:) C'mon, Woo--Darren's probably just not there right now--it is Saturday, you know. From what you told us, he's a pretty understanding client. I find it hard to believe that he'd not want to talk to you today.

LEROY: (Ditto:) Gotta go with David here, Woo--you can call him later.

WOO: (After a moment:) I--suppose. (Thinks, then begins to punch some more numbers on his cell phone)

DAVID: Who are you calling now, Woo?

WOO: Just checking out my "small hunch" I told you two about yesterday. (Pauses:) Hello? Is this Appleton Industries? My name is Payne Wouger, and I'd like to arrange an appointment with a Mr. William Appleton about a--lucrative business merger. Do you know if he'll be in today? I know that he comes in almost all the time on Saturdays, and--(pauses:) ah, I see--and you said he won't be in until Monday? (Pauses:) Something suddenly came up, eh? Do you know where--(pauses:) you don't know? (Smirks:) That's never happened since you can remember, eh? Oh well--maybe I'll just meet him later, then--thank you. (Clicks off phone:) Now, I find this interesting.

LEROY: Judging from the bits and pieces we picked up, William Appleton's not going to be at work today, and that he's never decided to do something like that at the last moment before.

WOO: (Narrows his eyes:) Exactly--and this the day after Sanchez, the one obstacle that could have fingered who had hired him to sabotage the Appleton's plane, had been murdered.

DAVID: Well, what does that mean, Woo? William Appleton might've just wanted a day off today--it could've been just a coincidence. You still think he had something to do with Sanchez's murder?

WOO: My gut instinct screams to me that William Appleton had something to do with this, David. After I told Lt. Keller what I found, I assumed he called William Appleton--Appleton being the chairman and all--and told him what had happened. It's possible Appleton had left town to plan what to do about Darren Appleton next, since Darren's the lone obstacle left, with Leonard Potter and Constance Waters now transferred "safely" out of the way, and Sanchez dead.

LEROY: If you really think William Appleton's going to try something, Woo--it seems kind of foolish to do it so soon after Sanchez's death --wouldn't the police suspect something if Darren Appleton suddenly turned up dead?

WOO: How would they connect it to William Appleton, Leroy? They didn't with Sanchez, did they?

DAVID: He's--got a point, Leroy--out of habit, I called my source that hangs around the station, and he confirmed to me last night that Lt. Keller had informed William Appleton that he wasn't a suspect because Darren Appleton chose him to head the conglomerate, just as we suspected. (Woo nods his head slowly in agreement) Not only that, but my source also overheard that William Appleton got Lt. Keller and his superiors to agree to wait until Monday before announcing what actually happened with Sanchez, so William Appleton could contact the Board and shareholders, and his sister and nephew Darren. (Woo arches a very high eyebrow at that) As far as the media is concerned, it's just a random murder, possibly drug-related. The crap's gonna hit the fan when the public finds out the real reason why Sanchez died.

WOO: Hmmm--William Appleton possibly contacted Darren about what the police said to William about Sanchez? Why would he do that?

LEROY: To throw off any possible suspicion, or, well--(hesitates:) maybe William Appleton might really not be involved? I mean, the man had just been told his brother and sister-in-law had been murdered--he could've needed some time to recover?

WOO: (After a moment:) No, Leroy--again, for some reason, I'm convinced William Appleton is involved in this. I wished I could've gotten in touch with Darren, and found out if his uncle had called him yet.

DAVID: Well, like Leroy said, maybe you can call him later, Woo.

WOO: (Gets up:) Perhaps, but I have a better idea at the moment, gentleman--I can talk directly to Darren face-to-face. We're going to Lawndale today. (David and Leroy look at each other, surprised) I'll be damned if we're out of place if someone tries to come after Darren Appleton--I won't fail him again. I suspect that you both believe we should call the police and tell them what we think could happen, but if William Appleton or someone else finds out that there's a sudden large police and F.B.I. presence in Lawndale, he wouldn't dare come within a hundred miles of the place.

LEROY: Uh, Woo, there were two plainclothes cops that followed us here, just as we saw one plainclothes cop watching your apartment as we came up. How will we get by them?

WOO: (Smirks:) Leave them to me. I'm calling Carla--the police will not be watching her like us--to them, she's a "lowly" secretary. I'm going to get her to swing by the airport and get some tickets for us on the flight to a city near Lawndale, then we can drive to there, and keep an eye out on Darren. As for getting by the police--(grins:) how would you fellows like to go to a baseball game? The Dodgers are playing today.

DAVID: (Smirks:) Ah, that old trick, Woo?

LEROY: (Ditto:) I have to admit, it works every time.

WOO: Then it's settled--"Operation Copdumpers" is set in motion--I'll call Carla, and then you guys can swing by your places and get some clothes, and leave it in your apartments for Carla to pick up after she gets the tickets--

DAVID: --While we go the ball game and lose the cops who are following us in the crowd--

LEROY: --And we can double back to the airport and go to Lawndale.

WOO: (Punches the cell phone's numbers:) Excellent--we'll meet at Dodger Stadium in an hour. Take off. (Leroy and David leave) Hello, Carla? (Pauses, grins:) Yes, I know this is your day off, but this is an absolute emergency--

(Scene changes back to the Morgendorffer's, 10 minutes later)

Darren was considering all of what Helen had told him about her and Jake's "good fortune" while watching TV in the living room. Helen had left for awhile to to do a few hours of extra weekend work at the firm. (Helen also had given Quinn the details when Quinn had gotten up--Quinn began to whine about wanting to stay at home, but perked up when Helen said they'd go out to Chez Pierre after seeing the "product" Mr. Smith planned to show them.) It certainly was an incredible offer--$25,000 even if they turned it down. Darren remembered some of the deals his parents had worked out over the years--of course they were a bit more--hundred million to billion dollar ones. He smiled quietly to himself, happy over Helen and Jake's news, and of the memories of his parent's remarkable business acumen.

Still, there were a few things that nagged a bit at him--this "Smith" character was quite secretive--granted he wanted to protect his "product" from being spied upon by a possible competitor, something Darren understood perfectly well in business, but did he have to want to meet Darren's birth family in such a "desolate" place (at least that's what Helen had told him when he had inquired as to where) at some nearly-abandoned warehouses near Lawndale's waterfront? Darren hoped it would not be in one of the buildings, but outside of it--there was a possibility of an accident if the floorboards gave out, or something--were they condemned?

What about the "Smith" name? Common enough--perhaps a bit too common? He shook his head quickly at that thought. You're becoming paranoid, Darren--uncle Will's right--who knows you're here other than your friends and family? You haven't seen anything strange happen around the town, save for some of the people that live here. You only have to wait until Monday for all of this to be out, so relax.

Suddenly, a Sick, Sad World episode appeared on the TV, and Darren started to grin in anticipation for the funny story--he wondered where Daria and Jane were, for they were missing this. He did not notice that both girls were coming into the living room.

TV ANNOUNCER: (While theme music is playing, showing some birds sitting around a table in a dark room:) Do birds really get together to scheme when to put their droppings on just-washed cars? The "Bird Conspiracy", next, on Sick, Sad World!

Darren was laughing at the TV when he caught a glimpse of Daria and Jane, and got up to greet them. Daria gave a quick glance at Jane, which basically said, "Remember, say nothing". Jane gave her a knowing glance back.

DARIA: Hey, bro--uh, Jane and I caught the last part of that--the "Bird Conspiracy" ep--

JANE: (Goes over to hug Darren:) --Yeah, that was the one where certain birds are supposed to be rumored to extort bird seed from city municipalities in return for not messing up their citizen's cars. It's a classic. (Sits down beside him on the middle couch, while Daria sits on the right couch)

DARREN: (Grins, chuckles:) You've got to be kidding me.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Alfred Hitchcock could've made a sequel to "The Birds" with this ep, bro. (Notices Darren still smiling:) Say, is it me, or do you seem to be really happy for some reason?

DARREN: (Looks over at Jane quietly, then Daria:) Well, besides having you two here with me--

JANE: (Smirks:) --The boy obviously has good taste, here--

DARIA: (Ditto:) --That he does, indeed--you may continue, bro--

DARREN: --I have a--major announcement that I want to make on Monday, (Daria and Jane look at each other) it's a--surprise. (Pauses:) I've been kind of feeling--under the gun for awhile, as you may have noticed, and I feel relieved that I can say something then--it'll help explain why I've been the way I've been.

JANE: Really? I haven't noticed. (Takes another quick glance at Daria, who secretly rolls her eyes:) So, um, you can't even share a tiny little bit of the "surprise" to us? (Daria narrows her eyes a bit at Jane, who gives a quick shrug)

DARREN: Well, I'd prefer to wait until Monday, Jane, but let's just say that when I tell you, it'll be a load off of my back--and hopefully, more importantly--yours.

DARIA: (Glances at the stairs, smirks:) Speaking of "loads", here comes one right now--

Quinn came down the stairs on her cell phone, smirking.

QUINN: Don't cry, Scott--it'll just be just for two weeks, an' then I'll be free to start dating again! (Pauses:) Yeah, I can put you down on my list, no problem! Of course, you haveta realize that I'll still have another week after that before I can be off of my dumb curfew, so you might wanna wait until then to date me, unless you wanna bring me home by 8:00 p.m.! (Pauses, gasps:) You WILL wait?! All right--see you then--byeee! (Clicks off phone, comes into living room, delighted:) Boy, that's the tenth guy who's called me in the past hour!

DARIA: (Smirks:) Lining up your suitors, sis? Can't wait for that dam to burst open and flood the town--prepare for evacuation, everyone. (Darren chuckles, and Jane smirks)

QUINN: (Frowns, confused:) Huh? Daria, Lawndale is near an ocean! They wouldn't have dams for the water, they'd have--uh--(looks up, then:) what do they call those walls that hold back and control th' water--?

DARREN: --I believe they're called dikes, Quinn--though some seawalls can hold back and protect the land from erosion--(pauses, frowns to himself:) uh, aren't we getting off track, here?

DARIA: (Smirks some more:) I only think that Quinn is the one who's getting "off track", Darren--as usual. (Quinn rolls her eyes at Daria)

JANE: Speaking of the ocean, that reminds me--are you guys going to that "invention thingamabob session" near the waterfront that Daria told me about while we were out instead of McGrundy's? Daria wanted to check with you, Darren, before she told me.

DARREN: No, though it would be somewhat tempting to see what this "invention" is--and Helen understood that--she said she and Jake would be taking Quinn out tonight to Chez Pierre following that meeting--we can go out to McGrundy's, Daria, Jane.

QUINN: (Giddy:) An' I can't wait to go to Chez Pierre to eat! Even though I'm gonna be stuck with mom, dad, and some dumb guy, I'll be at my favorite eatin' place, so it won't be that bad--

DARIA: (Deadpan:) --And you can even lure more male "patsies" to round out your little harem of guys.

QUINN: (Smirks:) Hey--it's like a bear collectin' food for th' winter, an' puttin' it up for storage in his cave, or somethin'--you gotta always have like, a ready stock available for when times get hard--(Darren gives Quinn a stunned look at her "logic", while Jane snickers, and Daria slowly shakes her head, smirks) though that'll never happen to me!

DARREN: Uh, Quinn--

JANE: (Gently cuts him off, pats Darren's arm:) --Now, now, Darren--let's leave Quinn to her little "philosophies"--

DARIA: (Watching the TV:) --And quite a fasinating group of little "philosophies" they are, too--one of these days, I'm gonna write a book titled, "Quinn's Words of Wisdom", available at a bookstore near you.

QUINN: (Gasps, delighted, once again misunderstands Daria:) Really, Daria? Well, when you're ready, let me know, an' I'll tell you all about how girls should get guys, while lettin' the guys think they're gettin' the girls, such as what clothes an' make-up to wear an' all--(looks at a still shell-shocked Darren:) ooops--that's right! Even though you're my bro, Darren, I can't say how in front of you--female trade secret an' all!

JANE: (Smirks, faux admonishment:) That's right, Darren--it would be a crime for you to hear Quinn's female trade secrets--even though they'd eventually get published in a book for everyone to read, anyway! (Darren drops his head down, starts to laugh)

QUINN: (Smug:) Exactly, Jane! (Pauses:) You know--don't take this th' wrong way and all, but I guess I'd prefer to see you with Darren than Sandi! I mean, I suppose like, I could tolerate you far better than I ever could her! (Jane, Darren, and even Daria, who has turned down the TV out of shock, look at her, stunned. Quinn notices their reaction) Hey, w-why are you guys lookin' at me like that for?

Daria was about to say something when the cell phone rang again. Quinn clicked it on.

QUINN: That's for meee! Hello?

VOICE: (In a cold tone:) Like, hello, Quinn--am I like, disturbing you, or something?

QUINN: (Surprised:) S-Sandi? (Everyone looks at Quinn, intrigued) What are you callin' me for? (Pauses:) Have you decided to have a fashion meeting or somethin'? (Thought v.o., smirks to herself: Or maybe you're tryin' to rub in my face what "happened" last night with Darren, "Felicia"?)

SANDI: No--I'm calling you to let you know that I know about your little dirty trick you, Jane, and Darri--Dariann--Daria pulled last night, because I saw Darren talking to you all, an' I'm not happy about it, not one bit! (Quinn turns pale, while Darren, Daria, and Jane get up and crowd around the phone to listen) No wonder Darren wouldn't kiss me last night! You all must've been spying on him, and he couldn't go through with it, because he knew you were there! (Darren rolls his eyes, and Jane grins, amused, while Daria slightly smirks)

QUINN: (Nervous:) N-now, Sandi, uh--

SANDI: (Cuts her off, angry tone:) --I like, demand retrospect! I want something to make up for my embarassment and humiliation last night!

DARIA: (Smirks some more, in a low voice to Jane and Darren:) Sandi wants to remember the past? Possibly go back into it? Maybe that inventor guy that mom and dad will be seeing this evening has created a time machine. Sandi could go along with Quinn and find out for herself. (Quinn glares at Daria, while Jane and Darren snicker)

DARREN: (In the same tone:) I think Sandi means retribution, sis.

DARIA: (Wicked smirk:) I know, bro--I couldn't help myself--it was too easy of a target for my wonderful sarcasm. (Jane gives the same smirk)

SANDI: AHA! That's Dari's voice, isn't it? I knew it! (Pauses:) Now when I think about it, Dari has a good idea about goin' out this evening! You can pay me back in that manner, Quinn! I don't know how or where, yet, but--

QUINN: (Stunned look:) --H-huh? P-pay? What are you talkin' about, Sandi? I'm not gonna be here tonight, because I'm goin' with my mom an' dad to see some guy, an' then we're going to go to Chez Pierre, an'--

SANDI: (Sneering sound:) --Even better! You owe me, an' if you don't lemme go with you to Chez Pierre tonight--you paying, of course--you'll be kicked out of th' Fashion Club!

Frowning, Darren suddenly reached over and snatched the phone from an astonished Quinn.

DARREN: (Snarls:) Now, look, Sandi--if you're going to blame someone, blame me. It was my idea for Daria and Jane to spy on us--leave Quinn out of it!

SANDI: (Her voice turns a little softer, surprised:) D-Darren? Uh--um--(Daria, Quinn, and Jane look at each other, surprised at Sandi's sudden change of tone, while Darren doesn't notice) er, don't you think I deserve something for what happened last night? I didn't know that they were spying on us, even though it was your idea--(pauses:) an' I do forgive you for it, by the way, because I know you were under pressure an' all--(Quinn and Jane roll their eyes, while Daria looks impassive)

DARREN: (Through clenched teeth:) --I wasn't "under pressure", Sandi, and--(pauses, sighs:) look, if I give Quinn some money for tonight to help pay for you to go to Chez Pierre with her, will that help patch things up, and keep Quinn in the Fashion Club? (Daria and Jane give knowing looks to each other)

SANDI: (After a moment:) Like, sure, Darren--that'll do. (Pauses, grows very quiet:) Like, um, I'm really sorry for gettin' angry like that an' stuff. I wouldn't want you mad at me, or something, or another, Darren. (Jane's mouth goes agape, then she grits her teeth, while Quinn looks dumbfounded, and Daria retains her "expressionless expression")

DARREN: (Calms down:) Well, I suppose no harm's been done, Sandi--I'll put Quinn back on the phone, and she'll give you the time when she, Jake, and Helen will pick you up tonight, okay?

SANDI: (In the same soft tone:) Um, okay, Darren, and uh, like, thanks.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow, glances over uneasily at Jane:) Ah, you're--welcome, Sandi--here's Quinn. (Gives Quinn the cell phone back, goes over to the side with Jane and Daria)

JANE: (Sounding annoyed, slight frown:) Well now--someone's beginning to have a melting effect on "The Ice Witch", aren't they?

DARIA: (Before Darren can speak, smirks:) My bro's done what a facial sledgehammer couldn't do--tame "The Griffin".

DARREN: (Sighs:) Jane, I hope you don't think--

JANE: (Softens, walks up and pecks Darren on the mouth:) --Nahhh. I guess you seem to have that effect on just about every girl you meet, Darren--even on the "Debutante", there--I can't fault you for that. Besides, while Quinn and Sandi exchange fashion horror stories at "Chez Crapola", you, me and Daria will be at McGrundy's tonight having a good time.

DARREN: (Smiles:) Yes--at least I won't have to put up with Sandi anymore tonight. (Pauses:) Oh, I meant to ask--did you two take care of that "personal stuff" that Daria said she wanted to get done today?

DARIA: (Looks over at Jane:) Uh, yeah, bro--it's taken care of--in fact, Jane and I will tell you about it Monday as well, probably after you make your "surprise" announcement.

DARREN: (Raised eyebrows:) Really? (Shrugs:) Well, I hope it won't get lost in my announcement.

JANE: (Smirks, glances at Daria:) Oh, I don't think it will, Darren --I don't think it will. (Darren cocks his head at Jane, gives an inquisitive look)

DARREN: O--kay--anyway, anyone in the mood for some pizza? We can call it in, if you want.

DARIA: (Glances over at Jane, smirks:) Sure--we're always in the mood for that--and I'm assuming that you're treating, bro?

DARREN: (Smiles:) Of course.

JANE: (Smirks:) Of course.

QUINN: (After finishing her talk to Sandi, clicks off the phone, gives it to Darren:) As long as you order me a small cheeseless one, Darren, it's okay. (Darren starts dialing on the cell phone to the Pizza King)

(Scene changes to a highway, the same time)

A silver-colored tinted-glass minivan went down the highway at a modest rate of speed through the hot and humid air. Inside the TV supplied, air-conditioned interior, Benny Lodell was driving, with Sam Norwood sitting shotgun, and going through some legal briefs. In the middle rear seat, wearing modest summer apparel like the other men, sat a bespectacled William Appleton, who was talking phoneless on a specially-connected intercom system while looking through some files. In the very rear, there were several duffel bags, and an icebox.

WILLIAM: --And you say that the men who dispatched Sanchez arrived in Lawndale very early this morning, Oscar?

OSCAR: Yessir--Bert and Ernie are sleeping in a room beside my room here at the Knight's Inn. They had no problems getting on the plane in Los Angeles. They told me they ditched the car in the Pacific Ocean--it'll take the cops weeks to find it (snickers:)--if at all.

WILLIAM: Good, I--(cocks an eyebrow, pauses:) excuse me, I'm sorry, Oscar, but did you say their names were "Bert" and "Ernie"?

OSCAR: Uh, yessir, Boss--(pauses:) is there--a problem, sir?

BENNY: (Glances through the interior rearview mirror:) Yeah, Boss--what's the problem? (Norwood looks up and back at William as well)

WILLIAM: (Looks over his glasses:) Shut up, and keep driving, Benny. (Frowns:) What in the hell is this, Oscar? I find myself half-wondering if Big Bird and the Cookie Monster will be joining us along with Elmo and Mr. Snuffalufacus, and we suddenly break out into some sort of damn educational-type of song-and-dance about a "rubber-ducky"! (Benny and Norwood look at each other strangely, then slowly turn foreward, wide-eyed, saying nothing)

OSCAR: Huh, Boss? I don't understand.

WILLIAM: (Sighs:) Never mind, Oscar--I find myself feeling a little tense, that's all--wake up, er, "Bert" and "Ernie", and get to that old warehouse area, and set things up. Continue to also scope out the surroundings--we want absolute privacy when I "deal" with my "nephew". (Adds:) Make sure you also check out where the "players" are before we get there--got that? I don't want any last-minute snafus--(pauses, grins:) oh, yes, and have you gotten in contact with that courier service concerning delivering "The Message" to my "nephew"?

OSCAR: Yessir, though when I at first told them what house I wanted them to deliver "The Message" to, the courier service seemed a little reluctant for some reason--however, when I offered them an advance payment to deliver "The Message", they jumped at the opportunity. How far are you all from Lawndale, Boss?

WILLIAM: (Looks up:) Benny?

BENNY: (Looks over at the dashboard clock:) Estimated time of arrival is two hours, Boss.

WILLIAM: Did you hear that, Oscar?

OSCAR: Yessir--see you then. (Hangs up)

WILLIAM: (Scowls:) Sam, is everything set for my "nephew" to sign over the company to me legally?

NORWOOD: (In a nervous tone, swivels his chair to face William:) Y-yessir. I-I have the legal documents all prepared for your "nephew" to sign, Boss.

WILLIAM: (Sits back in his chair, smug:) Good--very good. I want us to make sure this all goes down as quickly as possible--I have to be back in New York City by early Sunday morning. (Grins sinisterly:) We have to bid my "nephew" a fond farewell, after all, and everything has to be "just right" for his demise. (Benny smirks wickedly, while Norwood wipes his forehead nervously with a hankercheif) When we get to this "Lawndale", we'll rest up, and then go over to that warehouse area to "greet" my dear "nephew's" birth family.

(Scene changes to a jumbo jet, the same time)

The Airdale Airlines jet was now at 40,000 feet. Near the rear, Woo, was sitting in the aisle seat, while Leroy sat in the middle seat, and David sat in the window seat, looking out at the cumulus clouds that effortlessly stretched across the bright late-morning sky. A petite brunette stewardess came up to them, smiling, while rolling a cart of drinks and snacks.

STEWARDESS: Would you all like something to eat or drink, gentleman?

LEROY: Uh, yeah--gimme a Coke and peanuts--thanks.

DAVID: Iced tea and that snack cake, please.

WOO: Just black coffee, thank you.

The stewardess gave them what they asked, and continued on her way down the aisle to the other passengers.

LEROY: (Sits back in his seat, sighs in relief:) That was kind of close, there, Woo--I thought for sure we wouldn't be able to give those plainclothes cops the slip at the ballgame! I'll just bet Keller's gonna be PO'd when they come back and tell him they lost us! (Sips his cup of soda)

DAVID: (Rolls his eyes, chuckles, sarcastic tone:) Oh, that's just tough--still, I found myself occasionally looking back over my shoulder when we left Dodger Stadium.

WOO: A good thing that we were able to lose the police in the narrow hallways just inside the stadium because there were so many people in attendance--it was "Bat Day" after all, and a sure sell-out--

LEROY: (Smirks:) --And you had the tickets, Woo, don't forget that. (Pauses:) Carla didn't waste any time in having our plane tickets and bags, huh?

WOO: (Smiles:) Yes, Leroy--Carla, as you both know, is like that--we can always count on her. (Changes tone:) All right, gentleman--the moment we arrive in Lawndale, we'll go to the Morgendorffers, and check on Darren. I already have a rental car ready to be waiting for us when we come to the local airport. The flight is scheduled to arrive near Lawndale about 7:00 p.m. We'll talk to Darren, and then we'll get a hotel room for the next few nights.

DAVID: Woo, as you know, we're taking a chance on your "hunch"--William Appleton, or whoever, might not go after Darren Appleton--(Woo nods slowly, then David hesitantly adds:) are you--are you trying to make up for what you perceive as a--a personal failure to Darren? (Leroy looks uneasily at David, then over at Woo)

Woo stared stoically at David for a moment, then unbuckled his seat belt and got up. He turned to David, frowned, leaned over, and spoke in a cold whisper.

WOO: Of course it was a personal failure, David--I told you that. I said I wanted to talk to Darren face-to-face, as well, and offer my apologies. Don't you forget that I--we were used, too--(narrows his eyes:) and like I also told you, I hate being used--did you forget that, too? (Stands straight up:) I'm going to try and call Darren again on the plane's phone--he might as well know that we're coming. (Leaves)

Leroy watched him go, then turned back to David with a look of admonishment on his face.

LEROY: What's the matter with you, man? You know what this is doing to Woo!

DAVID: (Glares:) That's just my point, Leroy--he's taking this too personally--I mean look at us! We're going to a hick hi-income suburban town across the country because he's PO'd that someone "used" him to kill a piece of trash like Sanchez!

LEROY: (Cocks an eyebrow, feigns surprise:) Well, damn--what'd you expect, David? He wants to get back at whoever did this--and I want to, too! Don't you?

DAVID: (Looks up, exasperated:) Of course I do, Leroy--it's just I've never seen him this worked up over a case before. I just hope this isn't some sort of wild goose chase and that something actually happens to get him out of his little "funk".

LEROY: (Finishes his snacks, puts trash in a container in the rear of the seat in front of him:) Relax, we'll be ready if it isn't a wild goose chase--(lowers his voice to a whisper, looks around quickly:) thanks to that security woman Maxine letting us pass by with our weapons through the metal detectors.

DAVID: (Ditto:) Huh--Woo must've paid her a pretty penny to take a chance like that.

LEROY: (Grins, closes his eyes, crosses his arms, leans back in his seat:) It's more than just that, bud--Woo's kind of attracted to her--Carla told me the other day. (David looks at Leroy, stunned)

Woo stood in line impatiently in front of several other passengers, waiting for a heavy-set woman, who was wearing a large straw hat and a green summer pants suit, finish her conversation.

WOMAN: That's right, dear--I'll be arriving at the airport near Middlebury about 7:00 p.m. (Pauses:) I'll see you then--goodbye. (Hangs up the phone, leaves)

WOO: (Watches the woman leave, frowns in mild disgust along with the other passengers in line who were watching her as well, thought v.o.: That is one ugly straw hat--it looks like it could go on the head of a horse on a farm--oh, well--) (Picks up phone, dials)

(Note to reader: Yes, this is the "Aunt Bernice" of Jane and Trent from the episode "The Teachings of Don Jake"--I couldn't resist!)

(Scene is back at the Morgendorffer's)

Quinn was in her room eating a slice of the cheeseless pizza Darren had ordered for her, talking to a pleading Stacy on Darren's phone. Downstairs, Daria Jane, and Darren were watching Sick, Sad World.

QUINN: (Smug look:) Oh, I don't know, Stacy--you an' Tiffany really hurt me last night when you didn't come to my rescue--why should I talk to you?

STACY: (Almost crying:) Pleeeease, Quinn--I got sooo scared of Sandi, and I didn't want to be put in the middle! Pleeease don't hold it against me!

QUINN: (Enjoying this while picking at her pizza slice:) I dunno, Stacy--I mean, Tiffany just called me, an' wanted me to forgive her, too--(pauses:) tell ya what--you come over with my bag of clothes tomorrow, an' I'll consider forgivin' you, okay?

STACY: (Now estatic:) Oh THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU, Quinn! (Quinn smirks slowly--Stacy's back to Quinn's side--just like Tiffany is)

(Scene goes back to the plane)

Woo listened to the busy signal, then hung up the phone slowly and quietly. Darren obviously was talking to someone else. Woo decided to not call anymore to Darren, simply just to show up at the Morgendorffers--when Woo thought about it, it was probably better that way--perhaps Darren would be grateful for the surprise visit--and be more forgiving of how and why Woo behaved the way he did last night--one could only hope. He sighed and went back to his seat, while another passenger picked up the phone.

(Scene fast-forwards to the Morgendorffer's, about 6:00 p.m.)

Helen came downstairs to the living room, dressed in a slightly more upscale version of her power suit--a gold-colored one, while an impatient Jake waited, standing in the center of the living room, pacing, and looking at his watch. When Helen had at first heard from Quinn asking if she could take Sandi with them to Chez Pierre for a "mini-fashion/food summit between the president and the vice-president", Helen had almost said no--then she remembered the possibly lucrative meeting she and Jake were going to have with this "John Smith" fellow, and put on a deliciously wicked smile. Helen figured that Sandi could inform a jealous Linda of Helen's "good fortune"--in and of itself an ironic situation, and Helen promptly changed her mind, enthusiastically giving her support for Sandi to come along.

In the meantime, Quinn was putting on her "finishing touches" on herself in her room. There was no way Sandi was going to look prettier than her at Chez Pierre. Quinn's "plan" of getting even more boys to date after the dating/curfew ban was somewhat thwarted by her greatest rival being there with her, but in a way, it could work to Quinn's advantage--both she and Sandi could compete over the number of boys that would go out with them when the boys compared the two there--and Quinn was very confident that she'd easily outdo Sandi.

Daria was in her room reading, waiting for when Darren would be ready to go, while Darren was in his room talking to Curtis, and telling his friend that Monday would definitely be the day to tell his birth family who he really was (he did not add that he also was going to tell them about why he could not say who he really was until then as well--the same for his friend until then), "Come Hell or Highwater". Curtis was relieved when told so. Darren said goodbye to his friend, and clicked off the phone, going downstairs. Helen was waiting with an increasingly angry Jake in the living room.

JAKE: (Looks at his watch, becomes wide-eyed:) GAH! DAMMIT! (Looks up, frowns:) QUINN, GET THE HELL DOWN HERE SO WE CAN GO! WE GOTTA PICK UP YOUR LITTLE FRIEND, SANDI, TOO, YOU KNOW! (Darren flinches at Jake's rant)

HELEN: (Frowns at Jake:) Jake, calm down--we'll get there in time! (Looks at watch, gasps, looks up, frowns:) QUINN, GET DOWN HERE NOW, YOUNG LADY! (Darren flinches at Helen's rant as well, Helen then calms down a bit when she sees Darren:) Oh, Darren, when are you, Daria, and Jane going to that McGrundy's place?

DARREN: Uh, about 7:30, Helen. I don't know what time we'll be coming back--

HELEN: (Smiles:) Never mind, sweetie, I know you'll take good care of your sister and Jane. (Looks up again:) QUINN, WE'RE NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER!

QUINN: (From upstairs:) MUH--OOM! You can't rush perfection!

DARIA: (Also from upstairs:) But mom and dad are rushing you, sis.

QUINN: (Still from upstairs:) Shut up, Daria!

Quinn finally came in view down the stairs in the same "dramatic" style that she had when Darren took her to Chez Pierre. She wore a lavendar sleeveless chiffon dress, white strapless dress shoes, and a lavandar chiffon scarf with a matching white purse. Her make-up was modest, but it brought out her face quite well. Quinn's hair was done in a wrap-around fashion (similar to the episode "Pierce Me"). Daria also came down behind her. Both Jake and Darren did a double-take when they saw Quinn, who immediately caught their looks, and turned on the charm.

QUINN: (Smiles triumphantly:) Well, Daddy, Darren, what do you guys think? (Thought v.o.: Sandi's doomed.)

JAKE: (Proud smile:) My little girl's a young woman!

DARREN: (Smiles:) You look stunning, Quinn, I have to admit.

HELEN: (Ditto:) Sweetie, I must say you look beautiful!

DARIA: (Smirks:) I know I must not have to say it, so I'll just say good luck on trying to outdo Sandi, sis. (Quinn and Helen frown at her) Hey, I'm cheering for Quinn to win the "Who-looks-better-than-who" contest with Sandi, you know, so it really wasn't an insult--after all, "blood is thicker than water"--and all that blood that's gonna be spilled at Chez Pierre has to be washed out by the water that's gonna be spilled from the sweat and tears that are gonna be falling during the fashion-fight. (Darren chuckles quietly to himself)

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes, becomes angry along with Helen:) DARIA--

DARIA: (Waves her hands, cuts her off:) --Off with you all, now--shoo, shoo--you don't wanna be late trying to hit it big, do you, Mom and Dad?

JAKE: (Before Helen and Quinn can say anything:) Hey, that's right! Let's go, you two! You and Darren have a good time at McDonald's, Kiddo! (Pulls a surprised Helen and Quinn out with him, Helen shuts the door behind her)

DARREN: (Laughs, looks back at Daria:) McDonald's?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Yeah--haven't you heard, bro? We're gonna see Ronald McDonald sing "Icebox Woman" and give out Happy Meals simultaneously. It's the restaurant's new way of drawing in customers because their crappy-tasting food isn't doing the trick anymore--they need some new gimmicks.

Darren, still laughing, was about to say something else when the doorbell rang. He opened it, and saw Jane standing there.

JANE: (Smirks:) Hey, do I really look that funny? (Goes up and kisses Darren)

DARIA: (Ditto:) Define "funny". (Jane mock-glares at Daria)

DARREN: (Grins:) C'mon in, Jane. (Jane does, and they all go into the living room)

JANE: Got some news for you guys--Mystik Spiral's gonna be a little late coming in tonight--Trent called me just before I started to come over here, and told me that during their last practice, Max's new drum got a big hole in it--they're gonna be delayed an hour in getting to McGrundy's because the shop where they got it from was in Leeville. They're gonna get a free replacement there--part of the "company guarantee". Trent's really bummed out about it.

DARIA: Ouch--damn cheap drums. So it'll be 8:30--okay. What'll we do in the meantime to occupy our sinister little minds for the next two hours?

JANE: (Smirks:) Sick, Sad World's having an early evening show. We could check it out.

DARREN: (Arches an eyebrow:) Hmm--that show is on a lot here, isn't it?

DARIA: I never noticed. Anyway, I'll make some microwavable popcorn, and we can watch another "SSW Gem" on the TV. (Leaves for the kitchen)

JANE: (Sits down on the couch, pats it, looks at Darren seductively:) C'mere, you.

DARREN: (Smirks, comes over:) Be gentle with me. (Sits down beside her)

JANE: (Puts her arms around his neck, snorts:) Yeah, right--since when have I done that? (They both start to kiss each other deeply)

Daria was about to come back in the living room when she saw Darren and Jane on the couch making out. She sighed quietly to herself, and slipped back into the kitchen.

(Scene changes to Jake's Lexus, the same time)

Jake was driving like a madman on the way to the Griffins. Helen looked over at him, annoyed.

HELEN: Jake, slow down! This is a residential area! We'll get to see "Mr. Smith" in time--(adds, low voice:) unless you get a damn ticket, that is.

QUINN: (Jostled around a bit:) Yeah, Daddy! My hair's gonna be all over th' place, an' I can't have it messed-up in front of Sandi!

JAKE: (Now slowing down a bit:) Okay, okay, you guys--sorry--I'm just really excited about this opportunity, Helen. I still can't believe our luck!

HELEN: (Smiles:) I know what you mean, Jakey--it's wonderful that we're finally being recognized for all our hard work. Now, we can finally get the things for the girls--and Darren that we want.

JAKE: Hmmm--in Darren's case, Helen, have you noticed that he seems to have some money, and I don't mean what his--(pauses:) parents left him? (Helen and now Quinn look at Jake inquisitively) I mean, when I was out with him the other day playing golf, he insisted on paying the steep playing fee--(Helen glares at Jake) n-now calm down, honey--he said he wanted to return the favor for our kindness, so I let him pay for it just this once, and I happened to notice while he was taking some money out of his wallet, that I thought I saw he had a Northolt Platinum Card! Whaho! I've heard that those cards have a $500,000 line of credit!

HELEN: (Stunned along with Quinn:) WHAT?! Jake, you had to have thought you saw that card! I can't believe Darren would have that much money, honey!

JAKE: (Shrugs:) Yeah--I guess you're right. (Eyes brighten up:) Hey, there's the Griffin's! (Pulls the car in their driveway)

Quinn sat back in her seat and thought about what her father had said, and began to remember--the quick $50 advance for getting her that pink silk blouse. The paying for the Circa Original--$800, the same night while taking her to Chez Pierre. Taking Sandi to Pastroni's and the Haven the same night along with Daria and Jane. Getting money from him over Sandi and Chez Pierre for tonight. She gasped, now actually wondering if Darren had more money than she thought--Quinn decided to inquire to Darren when she got back tonight. For the moment, Quinn turned her attention to Sandi. What would she be wearing? Could it compete with Quinn's outfit? She didn't have to wait long to find out, because Sandi came out of the house with Linda and Tom Griffin, and Sam and Chris. Fluffy the cat came from around the back yard.

Quinn fumed when she saw Sandi's attire--Sandi was wearing an even more expensive-looking tan-colored short-sleeved short dress with matching earrings, strapless shoes, elbow-length gloves and purse. Her hair was actually done in a swirled fashion--not that different from Quinn's own look, but even more stylish. Sandi smirked when she saw Quinn, stopping at the passenger door of the Lexus, then looked over smugly at her parents, Tom and Linda. Linda smirked when she saw Sandi's look, then glared at her husband, who caught his wife's look, then ran to Sandi, and opened the door for his daughter, who got in. Jake leaned over Helen and greeted Tom.

JAKE: Hey, Tom, my man! How's it hangin'?

TOM: It's fine, Jake--(looks timidly over at Linda, who's coming over, while Sam and Chris go at it in the front yard) it's--fine.

LINDA: (Smirks, in a sneer:) Hellooo, Helen, Jake--I trust you'll both show my daughter a nice time like your son did last night?

HELEN & JAKE: (Shocked:) WHAT?! (Quinn turns ashen, sinks slowly in the back seat, while Sandi watches her do so, and smirks)

LINDA: (Looks at both of them disdainfully, then gives a wicked grin:) It's quite true--Sandi said your son was such a--tiger last night--who knew Darren could be so much of a--lover? (Quinn then grows quietly furious, while Sandi gives a triumphant smirk at her)

HELEN: (Tries to find the words:) W-what do you mean, Linda? Darren was with Jane last night! (Pauses, frowns:) You must be mistaken--my son would never--

LINDA: (Cold tone, cuts her off:) --No. He was here last night--my husband and sons saw him here. According to Sandi, they had the time of their lives last night. (Tom looks as if he's about to say something, but another quick glare from Linda silences him.)

HELEN: (Speechless:) B-but why--

LINDA: --Maybe it's because he knows a superior girl when he sees one like Sandi in comparison to this "Jane" girl, Helen? There's no shame in admitting that, you know. Maybe this will be the start of something between our families? Darren's certainly a handsome fellow. (Thought v.o.: Though if I weren't married to my simpleton of a husband, and if Sandi didn't like him, and if I were 23 years younger--oh well--)

QUINN: (Turns to Sandi, in a low tone:) Damn it, Sandi--what's goin' on here? Why are you sayin' all this? You know that you an' Darren didn't--

SANDI: (Ditto, to Quinn, haughty:) --Like, what's the matter, Quh--inn? If Darren and I didn't have such a "good" time, why don't you tell your parents about it--(faux shock:) ooops--that's right--you can't say anything like "I was there with Doreen and Jasmine, and saw th' whole thing", 'cause you were supposed to be at Stacy's last night. (Quinn looks shocked:) I got it out of Stacy while she was falling all over herself this morning when she was still apologizing to me along with Tiffany. (Smirks:) You shouldn't have said anything to them about your "punishment". (Looks away arrogantly:) Oh, well--(Quinn clenches her teeth, frustrated, then looks down, closes her eyes to calm herself) perhaps this will teach you once and for all to not challenge my authority in the Fashion Club. (Notices Quinn's closed eyes:) Quinn, if you continue to frown like that, you'll get worry lines, and that is like, sooo not fashionable.

QUINN: (Sighs, resigned:) Y-yeah, Sandi--not fashionable. (Looks out of the window while Sandi looks forward haughtily)

Helen simply became quiet, looking ahead, shocked. Jake then waved goodbye to the Griffins, and started to back out of the driveway.

HELEN: How--how could Darren lie like that to us, Jake? Why would he do that? (Thought v.o.: Darren should not do something like that to Jane--I'm going to have a little talk with him when we get back tonight.)

JAKE: Gosh, honey, maybe he really does like Sandi, and didn't want to hurt Jane's feelings? Something could've happened between those two, and he decided to go out with Sandi? I mean, who are we to tell him who he should and shouldn't like, right? (Sandi grins and blushes, while Quinn secretly sticks her finger in her mouth in a "barfing" mode)

HELEN: I thought for sure--(pauses:) I--guess, Jake--(looks back, ashen:) did you er, have a good time with my son last night, Sandi?

SANDI: (A very big grin:) Oooooh, yes, Mrs. Morgendorffer--Darren was like, sooo wonderful, an' stuff, an'--

Quinn rolled her eyes in disgust, and put her hands over her face--this was going to be a bad night.

The grey Camry that had previously followed Darren in Lawndale, now was following the Lexus from a distance, only this time it was driven by the short, beared man who had been with the red-haired goateed man in Los Angeles, known as Ernie, and not Oscar. He was talking on the cell phone in the car while watching the Lexus.

ERNIE: --Yessir, Boss--they're finally on their way--and with a bonus--you worried about how we were gonna get Darren Appleton's girlfriend--well, sir, she's coming with his birth family to you!

WILLIAM: (Estatic:) Fantastic, Ernie! This is outstanding--better than we planned! All right, double back to the Morgendorffer's, and continue to watch for when "The Message" is delivered to my "nephew"--(pauses:) we have another 20 minutes when that courier service is suppose to arrive. (Snickering sound:) I'll bet when he reads "The Message", he'll tear out of that house like his life depended on it--which it does, but it won't matter after tonight, anyway. Follow him when he does.

ERNIE: (Starts to turn the car down another street to head back:) Right, Boss--er, what about your "nephew's" other sister, (looks down at the pad:) Dar-ee-ah? She's there with another girl who came up right after the Morgendorffers left to go to the Griffins.

WILLIAM: Damn! Knowing Darren, he'll probably want to keep this "Da-ri-uh" and her friend out of it by not telling them--(pauses:) ah, so much the better, I suppose--don't worry about them, Ernie--we'll have more than enough "insurance". Just follow Darren back to the warehouses.

ERNIE: Okay, Boss. (Looks up at the darkening cloudy sky:) Boy, it looks like some serious rain is on the way, sir--I heard that there's a lot of summer storms in this part of the country this time of the year--do you think your "nephew" will come if there's a storm?

WILLIAM: (After a moment:) Ernie, is it?

ERNIE: Uh, yessir--

WILLIAM: --When I want your weather report, I'll ask for it, Ernie--my "nephew" will come for his birth family and girlfriend--you just follow him back here when he does, all right? (Hangs up)

ERNIE: Uh, yessir. (Quietly clicks off the cell phone)

(Scene changes to the Carter County bay Warehouse District, about 15 minutes later)

The blue Lexus came up to wooded bay inlet located beside a staggered row of about five, large, brick and wood old, two-story abandoned warehouses with some windows in at least two of them that were cracked and worn from years of abuse by rock-throwing kids, surrounded by a rusting barbed-wire fence that had fading, equally-rusting signs that said "Private Property, Keep Out". There were weeds protruding out of the cracked gray asphalt. The Lexus drove through the open gate unto the old driveway beside one of the warehouses, stopped, and Jake got out. Quinn and Sandi looked at the sight and each other with horrified looks on their faces, then simultaneously formed a well-known word known throughout the Fashion Club:

QUINN & SANDI: EWWWWWWW!

HELEN: (Turns to both girls, falsetto voice:) Now, girls--we won't be here long, and if you wish, you can stay in the car while we talk to this "Mr. Smith", all right?

QUINN: (Frowns, crosses her arms:) Don't worry, Mom--I'm not leavin' the car to go out there, no freakin' way! Do you know what that ground out there could do to my high-heeled designer shoes?

SANDI: (Ditto:) Yeah, and how about what the sea air would do to my face! Can you, like, imagine the dryness that could occur to it?

QUINN: (Mumbles to herself, looks out over the place again:) One could only hope what the air would do to your face, Sandi.

HELEN: Well, all right, girls--we'll see you in a few. (Turns around, leaves to follow Jake)

SANDI: (Glares:) Quinn, like, when you said your parents had to make a little "stop" before we went to Chez Pierre, you never said we'd be stopping at this dump!

QUINN: (Ditto:) Well, I didn't know they meant here, Sandi! I thought it would be at some store, or something!

SANDI: (Looks around, motions with her arms:) Does all of this look like a store, Quh--inn?

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Well, of course not, Sandi--maybe my parents wanta talk to this guy about a new type of fabric, or something.

SANDI: One can only hope, Quinn--though I think a better place could've been chosen, such as Cashman's, or the mall.

QUINN: (Waves in a nonchalant way:) Oh, most definitely, Sandi.

Meanwhile, Jake and Helen looked around, confused.

JAKE: We're here, honey--where in the hell is this "Smith" guy?

HELEN: Um, yes--what is going on here? We are on time. You don't think--

Suddenly, coming from around one of the warehouses, three masked men armed with guns came towards Helen, Jake, and the Lexus.

JAKE: (Grins when he sees them:) Hey, what's goin' on, fellows? Are you guys here to provide some sort of protection for "Mr. Smith's" product? Kinda warm for those masks, dontcha think, guys?

HELEN: (Becomes alarmed, backs away from the men:) Uh, Jake, I don't think they're here for "protection"--

QUINN: (Wide-eyed:) W-what's happening?

SANDI: (Ditto:) Errr, Quinn--is this some sort of revenge against me for Darren? If so, you're not going to get the presidentcy, and you risk being put out of the Fashion Club for good this time!

MAN #1: (Calmly to Helen:) Put up your hands, please. If you cooperate, nothing will happen to you.

JAKE: (Starts to get angry, shakes with rage:) Cooperate? COOPERATE? WHO-IN-THE-HELL-ARE-YOU-GUYS?!

MAN #2: (Walks up, points his gun nozzle between Jake's eyes, still-calm-voice:) We're the "guys" with guns, and you're the people who're going to do exactly what you're told if you want to leave here alive. Anymore questions?

HELEN: (Terrified, while hands put up:) JAKE!

QUINN: (Frantic:) DADDY!

SANDI: (Ditto:) HEEEEEELP! IT'S THEM YOU WANT--I'M TOO, TOO VALUABLE! (Quinn glares at Sandi)

JAKE: (Suddenly calm now, in a meek voice:) N-no, sir! N-no questions at all!

MAN #2: Good. (Motions with his gun:) Move. (Jake does with his hands put up)

MAN #3: Okay, you two--out of the car. (Quinn and Sandi get out, and follow Jake and Helen, with the three men behind)

Everyone went into the middle warehouse, and came into a series of small, abandoned rooms--formally offices for management. Jake, Helen, Quinn, and Sandi were put into one of the cobweb-filled rooms, which were dimly lightly by portable lights, and were forced to sit down, and be tied up back-to-back in chairs. The men then left the room, shutting the door. Jake then barely turned his head to Helen, and spoke.

JAKE: Honey, what's goin' on? Is this some way to treat a person whose gonna make you millions of bucks?

HELEN: (Through clenched teeth:) Jake! (Sighs:) I think it's obvious they want us for something--(narrows eyes:) but for what? What could we possibly have that these men want?

QUINN: (Whines:) This isn't fair! I just had my nails manicured! These ropes are gonna mess them up!

SANDI: (Ditto:) And don't forget about our wrists! These icky ropes will scratch our delicate skin! (Looks at far corner, screams:) AH! A RAT!

QUINN: (Screams, looks around:) WHERE, WHERE?!

SANDI: (Motions her head in the direction of the rat:) OVER THERE!

HELEN: (Looks around, frantic as well:) OH, DEAR LORD! JAKE, DO SOMETHING!

JAKE: (Utterly lost:) Geez, honey--I can't move! If we don't do anything, it won't! (Adds:) After all--the cheese isn't on your heads!

QUINN: (Sees the rat, now:) EEEEK! THERE IT IS!

SANDI: SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!

As if on cue, one of the masked men came in, and suddenly pulled out his gun, and shot the rat, which when up about ten feet in the air, and landed with a thump. Helen, Quinn, and Sandi looked at what happened, horrified, while Jake simply looked awed.

MAN: There! That rat won't bother you anymore! Now, shut up and behave! (Prepares to close the door)

HELEN: Wait! Why are you doing this? If it's money you want--

MAN: (Chuckles, amused:) Lady, your money couldn't compare to this money! Look, just do as you're told, and you and your family and friends will live, okay? (Shuts door)

JAKE: (After a moment:) Gosh, what'd he mean by "Your money couldn't compare to this money", Helen?

HELEN: (Sighs, looks down:) I--don't know, Jakey.

QUINN: D-Daddy? M-mom? I'm s-scared.

HELEN: (Coos, tries to soothe Quinn's fears:) Shhhh--we'll be fine, sweetie--(strains to look behind her:) right, Jake?

JAKE: (Looks down, sniffs:) Oh, God--my life has been such a waste--

HELEN: (Furious:) --JAKE!

JAKE: (Snaps out of it:) Huh? Oh, uh, yeah, that's right, Quinn! We'll come out smellin' like a rose! Even now, your ol' dad's comin' up with a plan to get us out of here!

QUINN: (Hopeful:) Really, Daddy?

JAKE: Oh yeah, sweetie! (Lowers voice:) Helen, you thought of anything, yet? (Helen rolls her eyes and sighs, looks up, exasperated)

SANDI: (Tries to put up a brave front:) N-now, Quinn--w-we have to be a-above it all--to panic is soooo unfashionable! We c-can't afford to, like, have tears mess up our clothes an' all--and--and--(starts to weep silently so Quinn would not hear her, which Helen sees, and takes pity on Sandi)

HELEN: (Using the same tone on Sandi as on Quinn, but even lower on Sandi:) It'll be okay, Sandi--you'll see. (Sandi looks up at Helen, her mascara running, but smiles a little, which Helen returns) Hmm--maybe--maybe they'll question why we haven't arrived at Chez Pierre for our reservations.

JAKE: (Starts to smile:) Heeey, that's right! They'll call our home, and wonder where we are, and Daria and Darren will eventually call the cops when we're reported missing!

QUINN: (Perks up, gasps:) Yeah! They do that all the time when people don't show up! I ought to know!

SANDI: (Perks up as well:) Like, it's possible, right?

At that moment, one of the masked men came in.

MAN: Sorry to burst your "bubble", but we just abruptly called and cancelled your reservations to Chez Pierre. Remember, you told "Mr. Smith" where you wanted to go after you "met" him.

HELEN: (Angered:) You certainly can't believe you can keep us here, and no one would notice that we're gone, do you? We're well known around Lawndale!

MAN: Lady, if things go well, we'll be gone by midnight from here, and you guys can go home, and it won't matter what anybody around here does. All we need is a few hours--now, pipe down. (Shuts door)

Everyone grew quiet--so much for that idea.

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's, the same time)

Daria was sitting on the right couch, and Jane and Darren were sitting together on the left couch, sharing popcorn and watching Sick, Sad World. On the TV was that familiar woman with the British accent talking to a dirt farmer with a country twang in a potato field.

INTERVIEWER: And you say that the ground swallowed you up whole?

INTERVIEWEE: That there's right, ma'am--I was trying to collect my crop of potatoes, an' then I fell into another world that had underground people in it!

DARIA: (Offscreen:) Jules Verne, take a bow. (Darren is heard chuckling)

JANE: (Offscreen:) I wonder if he's found that huge lost nugget of gold in the center of the earth? (Darren is now heard laughing harder)

DARIA: (Offscreen:) If he did, do you think "Ol' MacDonald" there would still be a farmer?

JANE: (Offscreen:) Good point.

DARREN: (Offscreen, gets in on the "action":) Hey, I thought "MacDonald" there was giving out "Happy Meals" while singing "Icebox Woman".

DARIA: (Offscreen:) Oh, he still does, bro--this is just his part time job--someone has to grow those potatoes where the fries come from. It's the only good thing about "Mickey D's" left. (Darren is heard laughing again)

JANE: (After a moment, offscreen:) Uh--you guys have now completely lost me.

The doorbell then rang. Daria was about to get up, but Darren got up instead.

DARREN: Relax, sis--I'll get it--you two continue your "reviews" of the show. (Goes to the door)

JANE: (Leans over to Daria, low voice, smirks:) Darren could probably buy that nugget of gold, you know.

DARIA: (Smirks back:) Either that, or he'd pay an expedition to go and get it so he could have it himself. (Reaches over and gets some popcorn)

Darren opened the door and saw the same courier that brought he and his birth family the first DNA results (his name is "Luthor", remember). Luthor had a white envelope, and presented it to him.

LUTHOR: Hello--are you Darren Coverton?

Darren froze--who knew he was using his "phony" last name here other than his aunt Millie, uncle Will, Curtis, Elenor, and Claude? Could it have been one of them? Wouldn't they have just called him if--

LUTHOR: (Snaps him out of his thoughts:) Sir, are you Darren Coverton?

DARREN: Eh? Oh, uh, yes, I suppose I am. (Takes envelope, signs:) Thank you--(starts to reach for his wallet)

LUTHOR: (Backs up, holds up his hands, smirks:) Oh, no you don't--I'm not gonna fall for that trick again! (Takes off, jumps in his truck, and drives off)

DARREN: (Stares after him, closes the door:) There's no doubt about it now--most of these people are crazy around here. (Looks down at envelope, then opens it, takes a letter out, and reads it)

Dear Mr. "Coverton":
As of this moment, your birth family and girlfriend are being held at a place called the Carter County Bay Warehouse District--you should be familiar with hearing that--it was used to lure them there. If you want to see them alive, then come alone right now, and immediately--tell no one. No police, of course. If a siren is as so much as even heard--fire, and ambulance, even--your family and girlfriend are dead. We're also watching for any suspicious activity as well--if we see anyone that even looks like a law enforcement officer, your family and girlfriend are dead. Surely you wouldn't want to lose them like you did your adopted parents, would you? We think not. We assume that you probably have a map of the entire area of Lawndale to get there, so you shouldn't have any trouble in finding where we are. You have 20 minutes to find where it's at. We're waiting, now--the clock is ticking. See you then.

Darren turned pale, shocked, and his heart raced with fear. You fool--you should have known--that place, wherever it was, was out of the way! If they die, it's your fault! The killer or killers had found Darren, but instead of going after him, they did the worst possible thing--they kidnapped Helen, Jake, Quinn, and--and--his girlfriend? He looked over at Jane. She's my girlfriend. Who were they talking about? Darren frowned for a second, then came to a realization--Sandi Griffin had to be the "girlfriend"--she was to go along with the Morgendorffers tonight, but why would they think she was his girlfriend? Darren now figured that someone was watching him all of this time, though he couldn't be sure how long it had been going on--perhaps since he first got here? He looked over at Daria and Jane, who were absorbed into the Sick, Sad World show. Thank God they weren't caught. I'll have to leave them out of this. It was at that moment that Daria looked over at Darren, and spoke.

DARIA: Who was that, bro?

DARREN: (Frantic, scrambles for an excuse:) It--was--someone asking for directions, that's all.

JANE: (Now looks as well:) Hey, why didn't you just ask one of us, Darren? We could've told them--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --To go to hell, that is. (Jane chuckles)

DARREN: (Waves them off:) No, no--it was to a place that I'm familiar with--er, Dega Street--besides, you guys were really into Sick, Sad World, and I didn't want to disturb you. (Pauses:) Er, will you two excuse me for a moment? I've got to run upstairs and use the--uh, bathroom. (Suddenly rushes up the stairs)

Daria and Jane looked at each other, perplexed.

JANE: (Arched eyebrow:) Boy, he must really have to go badly, huh?

DARIA: (Turns back to the TV:) This ep would want to make anybody go the can. (Jane chuckles, and resumes watching the TV with Daria)

Darren rushed into his room, and grabbed his keys and the map of Lawndale he had used on his jogs when he first came. He then turned back, and hurried out. He stopped at the top of the stairs and slowly came down them, watching carefully to see if Daria or Jane would notice him. When he saw that they were once again absorbed in the TV, he looked at both of them longingly for a moment--wondering for a moment if this would be the last time he saw them, then quietly slipped out of the front door, and rushed to his car. He got in, put the key into the ignition, shifted his car into neutral, and coasted the car into the street, so as not to let either of the girls hear the car, and started it up, slowly accelerating down the street.

Ernie, who had watched the scene from in the gray Camry down the street, immediately dialed on his cell phone after starting up his car, and started to follow Darren from a distance. The sky had grown very dark, and it had began to rain.

ERNIE: (Grins:) Boss? Your "nephew's" on his way, and he's as agitated as you thought he'd be.

WILLIAM: Let the "show" begin!

(Scene changes to the warehouse)

William clicked off his cell phone, and got out of his minivan, which was located inside one of the warehouses along with some other vehicles and equipment, including now the Morgendorffer's blue Lexus. The lighting was dim inside the large bay, which was almost ringed by a railed, wide ledge located about twenty feet in the air. The rain was heard outside, pelting the roof. There were occasional bursts of thunder and lightning intermingled with the rain, and some wind as well. One of the men came into the bay, and took off his mask--it was Benny Lodell. He came up beside William, who was now looking over a very-nervous Sam Norwood's legal paperwork concerning forcing Darren to give up the Appleton conglomerate on a makeshift "desk", a long, old board suspended between two old barrels.

WILLIAM: Hmph--everything seems to be in order on my final check on these legal documents here, Norwood.

NORWOOD: T-thank you, Boss. (Wipes his forehead with a hankerchief:) I-I'll be glad when this is over.

WILLIAM: (Looks up from the files:) Eh? Something wrong, Norwood?

NORWOOD: (Gulps, then goes on:) W-well, Boss--are you sure we should do this? I mean, I don't think much of Darren Appleton either, b-but murder?

WILLIAM: (Scowls with Benny:) Where in the hell did this come from, Norwood? Are you beginning to have second thoughts about this?

NORWOOD: (Frantic:) N-no sir! I-I'm just wondering if there wasn't another way we could've handled this, that's all! I-I've never been directly involved in a murder before, Boss.

BENNY: (Snickers, rolls his eyes:) Never--? You're kidding, right? You represented Mafia figures for years! Surely you had to have known they were involved in killing people who didn't pay them "protection" money, or had gone after their rivals!

NORWOOD: W-well, I didn't want to know if they did, so I kind of put it in the back of my mind and just thought of them as my "clients".

WILLIAM: (Wicked smile, pats Norwood on the back:) And you sold out your soul in the process, you old dog! (Norwood sighs, and looks down) Well, tough--you're in this as deep as we are, Norwood, so shape up--(smile leaves William's face, replaced by an intense glare:) got that?

NORWOOD: (Draws back, cowers:) Y-yessir, Boss, y-you can count on me, sir!

WILLIAM: (Wicked smug:) Good--I wouldn't want you to end up like Sanchez. (Norwood trembles with fear)

The other two masked men came into the bay area from the outside thru a garage-sized metal door, soaking wet. Both took off their masks to reveal Bert and Oscar. William scowled at Oscar.

WILLIAM: Oscar! Why aren't you outside watching for my "nephew"?

OSCAR: But Boss--it's coming down cats and dogs out there!

William stared at Oscar stoically for a moment, then suddenly pulled out his gun from a holster he had around his shoulder and waist, and pointed it at Oscar, who backed up in fear. Bert backed away from Oscar.

WILLIAM: Get out there and watch for my "nephew", or the next thing that'll be "coming down" in here will be your blood! Got that?

OSCAR: (Backing up, wide-eyed:) Y-yessir! (Goes back through the door)

Benny, Norwood, and Bert looked at each other warily. The "Boss" was playing for keeps, even to those who worked with him--best not to "upset the apple cart"--or William himself. William watched Oscar leave, then put the gun back in its place.

WILLIAM: (Turns back to Benny, low voice:) You've got to make sure you mean business when it comes to "those people", Benny--otherwise, they'll take you for all that you're worth.

BENNY: (Blinks foolishly:) Y-yessir.

WILLIAM: (Resumes normal tone of voice, slaps his hands suddenly together, startles the others:) Well! Let's prepare to meet my "nephew", eh? (Smirks wickedly, sneers:) I can't wait to see Darren's face when he finds out who killed his dear "parents". (Walks back to the minivan, rummages through the icebox, gets a bottle of water and drinks it)

(Scene changes to the Morgendorffer's, the same time)

Daria clicked off the TV with the remote when Sick, Sad World went off, while Jane got up to stretch. Daria looked at her watch.

DARIA: Hey, we've got another hour before Mystik Spiral arrives at McGrudy's. (Looks up:) Where in the hell is Darren? He's taking a mighty long time in the bathroom--(slight concern:) you don't think he's ill or something?

JANE: (Smirks, mocking tone:) Awww--is "widdle sister" worried about her "big brudder-wudder"? (Shrugs while Daria frowns at her:) Hey, he could be up in his room calling one of his friends, or something.

DARIA: (Sighs:) I guess--let's go upstairs and find out when he wants to go.

Daria and Jane were about to go up the stairs when the doorbell rang. Daria opened the door and saw a burly Asian-American man with two other men standing behind him in the rain.

DARIA: (Eyebrow cocked:) Yeess?

MAN: (Reaches into his coat lapel, shows I.D.:) Good evening, miss--my name is Gerald Woo, and I'm a detective--is Darren er, Coverton here?

Daria and Jane looked at each other, surprised.

DARIA: Gerald Woo--the detective that my bro hired to find my family?

WOO: (Eyebrows raised:) He told you about me? (Both girls nod) Oh well, I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose--and the name is just Woo. (Motions to his men behind him:) This is Leroy and David. I wanted to know if we could speak to him, Miss--

DARIA: Daria Morgendorffer. Call me "Daria".

JANE: Jane Lane. Call me "Jane".

LEROY: (Shivers with David:) Uh, Woo? It's kind of getting wet out here--?

WOO: Eh? Oh, of course--may we--?

DARIA: (Stands aside with Jane:) C'mon into the living room--I'll call Darren. (Goes to the bottom of the stairs shouts up:) Hey, Darren--you've got company! (Pauses, no response:) Darren?! Hmmm. Would you all excuse me for a sec? Make yourselves at home. (Goes up stairs)

WOO: Thank you, Daria. (Takes off coat with the others, hangs them on a coat rack in the living room near the door)

JANE: (Smirks:) Caught out in the rain without an umbrella, eh?

WOO: I'm afraid so, Jane--we just came across the country from your airport--we didn't know about the forcast for rain, or we would've had hats and umbrellas.

JANE: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Across the country? Where'd you guys come from?

DAVID: Los Angeles.

WOO: Yes, you see--

Daria hurried back down the stairs, interrupting Woo's talk, and immediately went to the front door while drawing perplexed looks from everyone, and gave a brief look-see outside, quickly shutting the door back, more from confirmation than the driving rainstorm outside. She then came back into the living room, puzzled.

JANE: Daria? What's up? Where's Darren?

DARIA: That's what I'd like to know. He's not upstairs, and his car's gone. (Woo and his men look at each other)

JANE: Gone? You mean he's not here? (Daria gives her a look that says, "Duh", which Jane does not notice) Why would he leave all of a sudden like that? (Pauses:) And for that matter, why not tell us? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Woo was about to say something when the phone on the coffee table rang. Daria picked it up and clicked it on.

DARIA: Hello?

VOICE: (Sounding snooty:) Yes, is this the Morgendorffer residence?

DARIA: People live here by that name, yes.

VOICE: This is Chez Pierre--when you abruptly cancelled your dinner reservations for tonight, you got off the phone so fast, you forgot to reschedule. (Daria frowns, perplexed) We certainly don't want to lose such valuable customers--particularly a Quinn Morgendorffer. Does she live there as well?

DARIA: Unfortunately, yes--(pauses:) er, we'll have to get back with you on that rescheduling, okay?

VOICE: Of course--thank you, and have a pleasant evening. (Hangs up)

DARIA: (Clicks off the phone:) That depends. I just received some very interesting information. The reservations my parents had at Chez Pierre were suddenly cancelled. (Jane raises an eyebrow, while Woo and his men look at each other again) Why wouldn't my parents call us and say anything?

JANE: Maybe they went somewhere else at the last second, because their meeting with this "Smith" guy went a little too long, and they decided to eat somewhere else? Remember, your parents thought we were going to McGrundy's, so they probably assumed we'd be gone by now, and didn't bother to call us?

DARIA: (Ponders:) Maybe--but that still doesn't explain Darren's absence from our premises.

WOO: (Steps up:) Uh, excuse me, but who is this "Smith" fellow?

DARIA: He's some guy that called my parents late last night, and wanted them to see some dumb "product" he invented, or something. Both of them thought it was some sort of "incredible good fortune" to make some serious money. My mom claimed he was a quote, "aspiring inventor that inherited a rather large amount of money from a dead relative"--

WOO: (Cuts her off, urgent tone, put his hands on her shoulders:) --"Inherited money from a dead relative"? Are you sure about this, Daria?

DARIA: (Looks uncomfortablely at Woo's hand's:) Umm--yeeees--what does that mean?

WOO: It could mean that your brother and your family are in deadly danger, Daria. (Daria and Jane look shocked) Where is this "place" your parents are suppose to meet this "Smith" fellow?

DARIA: (Recovers:) At a bunch of old warehouses that comprise an area we call the Carter County Bay Warehouse District near Lawndale--it's almost in the middle of "Nowheresville".

WOO: (Grabs his coat:) Come on, gentlemen--let's go--(David and Leroy grab their coats)

JANE: (After glancing at Daria, frowns:) Hey, just one damn minute! What in the hell is going on?! You tell us that Darren and Daria's family is in "deadly danger", and then you just cut out on us?!

WOO: (Opens the front door, David and Leroy rush out:) I'm sorry, Jane, but we can't explain right now--(starts to leave)

DARIA: --Um, before you go, you're gonna need to know something--

WOO: (Rushed:) --What's that, Daria?

DARIA: How are you gonna get there if you don't know where it is? (Jane smirks at Woo)

Woo paused, sighed, and motioned to the front door, and Daria and Jane started to go out.

WOO: Aren't you going to get a coat or something?

DARIA: Nah--we can survive the rain--I'm more worried about my family and bro surviving if you're right about them being in "deadly danger".

WOO: Very well. (Follows Daria and Jane out through the heavy rain to the rental car, gets in the back with Daria and Jane)

As David was backing out of the driveway, Jane turned to Woo.

JANE: Just out of curiousity--does this have anything to do with Darren's real last name of "Appleton"?

WOO: (Shocked with his men:) Y-you know about Darren's real last name?

DARIA: Yeah--we found out about it this morning, but we didn't say anything to him--we figured "Arthur Appleton Jr." wanted to have some privacy before he told us who he really was, and after everything he's gone through with his adopted parents and dead fiancee, we didn't want to add to his "woes" by asking him certain--questions.

Woo grew quiet, and he glanced at his men. Daria and Jane watched them, intrigued.

WOO: (Sighs:) Despite all that you've just told me, that's only a small part of it, Daria, Jane--while you're directing us to this place, I'll give you two the full story of why Darren did what he did. (Daria and Jane look at each other, then listen as Woo begins his story)

(Scene changes to Darren's car, the same time)

The thoughts were flowing through Darren's mind at an incredible pace, almost as fast as his heart rate as he was driving through the heavy rain. His parents and gi--Sandi were held hostage by the same people who had killed his parents through Sanchez. He frowned and clenched his teeth--if they did anything to his family--easy, Darren--they want you, not them, only using them as bait to get to you--you hope. If there was anything good in any of this nightmare, it was at least he'd get to see who hired Sanchez. Who would it be? It had to be someone at Appleton, but why go after his family? Why not him?

Darren stopped at an intersection, and snatched his map of Lawndale up to look at where this "Carter County Bay Warehouse District" was. He was sure he was going in the right direction as he traced his finger along the route, then turned left. Darren glanced at his watch--there were 10 minutes remaining. He held back his fear that if he didn't get there in time, that they'd--no, don't think about that, keep going. He absentmindedly caught a glimpse of a lighted billboard on the side of the road as he was driving by it. It said:

"Get Mental In the Morning" on Zee-93! Catch The news, weather, and sports at 11:30 a.m. on the radio with Sal "Our Pal" Benidino!

(Note to reader: Of course, the "Zee-93" radio station comes from the ep "Jake of Hearts")

Darren's thoughts suddenly froze. 11:30. Why did that time seem so familiar? The flashbacks then began to run through his mind:

He had been called at 11:30 p.m. that hellish night, and being told of the crash.

The NTSB spokesman had said:

"Now the jet with Arthur and Lucille Appleton and the crew went off the radar screen at about 11:25 p.m. E.D.T., 9:25 M.D.T., and the wreckage was not located until around 12:00 a.m. E.D.T., 10:00 p.m. M.D.T., then around 12:15 a.m. E.D.T., 10:15 p.m. M.D.T., the first reports came in that the plane had crashed, based on..."

It all hit him at once--Darren tried to hold back the tears of sadness, shock, and rage that were threatening to explode from his eyes while still driving. It couldn't be him--it just couldn't be. Darren was beginning to trust him, and he had played him for a fool.

(Scene changes to the room where Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Sandi are being held)

Quinn and Sandi were trying to deal with the situation as best as they could by talking about and comparing the latest fashion styles, while Helen and Jake were quietly contemplating to themselves, with Helen thinking about Daria and Darren, secretly relieved that they were at least at McGrundy's, and not here, while Jake was thinking about--about--well, just thinking. Helen broke his train of thought when she spoke in a very low nervous whisper, so as not to alarm Quinn or Sandi.

HELEN: Jake?

JAKE: Hmm--oh, huh, Helen?

HELEN: What were you thinking about, sweetie? You seem so quiet.

JAKE: Uh, ah, nothing in particular, honey. My mind was in a blank. (Pauses:) What were you thinking about?

Helen thought about answering, but decided that there was enough tension in the air--why add to it?

HELEN: (Sighs, looks down:) Nothing, dear--like you, I was thinking of--nothing.

Outside, Darren's car pulled up to the old warehouses in the downpour. A throughly drenched Oscar, who was stationed on the roof on the middle warehouse, started to call on his (waterproofed) cell phone.

OSCAR: (Shouts in the cell phone over the rain:) Boss?! He's here!

WILLIAM: Good. Is he alone?

Oscar looked through the wind-driven rain to the surrounding woods as best he could.

OSCAR: None that I can see, Boss--he's alone! (Pauses:) Boss, can't I come down now?! I think I'm catching a cold!

WILLIAM: Oh, very well--taking into consideration my "nephew's" martial art abilities, another body might not be a bad idea. You may come down, Oscar.

OSCAR: (Relieved:) Thanks, Boss! (Starts to go down by a door on the roof)

Darren got out of his car through the heavy rain. As soon as he did, he saw a garage-sized door from the middle warehouse slide open. After a momentary pause, he slowly walked towards it, and into the warehouse.

As the soggy-Darren came into the warehouse, the door suddenly slid shut behind him, and he found himself in almost total darkness and silence, save for a small spotlight in the middle of the warehouse, and the sound of the rain outside. In the middle of the spotlight was a simple wooden chair. Darren walked towards the spotlighted chair, and when he had come into the spotlight, he suddenly shouted in a rage, his face filled with fury.

DARREN: (Looks around:) Come on out, Uncle Will! I know you had something to do with killing my parents! Didn't you?! (Pauses:) DIDN'T YOU?!

The spotlight widened a bit more to show a calm William standing near the edge of the darkness.

WILLIAM: (In a calm tone:) Well. (Pauses:) How'd you figure it out? For a while, "nephew", I thought I had overestimated you.

DARREN: (With a look of pure hate, glares, through clenched teeth:) Call it a sudden "revelation". You called me at 11:30 p.m. the night my parents were killed. The NTSB reported that the plane went off of their radar at 11:25 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, and it wasn't until 12:15 a.m. that the first reports came in that the plane had crashed. (Begins to grow furious, frowns deeply:) How could you have known JUST FIVE MINUTES AFTER THAT THE PLANE HAD CRASHED, UNCLE WILL?! THE NTSB DIDN'T KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL 12:15 A.M.!

William simply gave a cool look at Darren, then broke out in a slow grin.

WILLIAM: (Smug, playful tone:) Ooops--silly me--I guess I should've waited a bit longer to call and tell you the news. Well, you know, Darren, that's a good question, and there's a good explanation for it--(chuckles:) you see--

DARREN: (Cuts him off, enraged beyond words:) --YOU THINK THIS IS SOME SORT OF A DAMN JOKE, UNCLE WILL?! YOU BASTARD! YOU KILLED MY PARENTS! YOU KILLED YOUR OWN BROTHER, AND MY MOTHER! I'M GOING TO--(starts to rush towards William)

At the next instant, Benny, Ernie, a soaking-wet Oscar, and Bert stepped into the spotlight with their guns drawn and pointed in a circle at Darren, who stopped when he saw them. William simply kept his composure, then suddenly gave Darren a very deep scowl, and spoke.

WILLIAM: (In a cold, low, dangerous tone:) Let's get something straight from the get-go, "nephew"--all of the damn "kung-fu" in the world won't save you from a bullet. I'd strongly suggest that you remember that. Now, sit down in the chair.

Darren looked around at the guns, then back at his uncle, glaring, and not moving.

WILLIAM: (In a more forceful tone:) I-said-SIT-down. (Darren then moves slowly to the chair, and lowers himself unto it, all the while glaring at William) Good. Benny, grab the rope and tie him up good and tight. (Benny vanishes into the darkness while the others keep their guns pointed at Darren, then comes back and starts to tie Darren's arms and legs to the chair with the rope)

DARREN: (While Benny does the tying:) Benny Lodell--why aren't I surprised? Want to give me a reason why you hate me so much?

BENNY: (Smirks, sneers:) Sure--why the hell not? I worked my ass off in the salt mines of the mailrooms and offices, while you ate cavier, took sailing jaunts and hobnobbed with your rich friends living a lie, though I didn't know it until last year. Mr. Appleton here had taken me under his wing, and gave me a chance to become important. When he found out what had transpired at that resort in the Keys, it changed him--made him more focused--and determined. (Pulls the rope deliberately tighter on Darren's arm, makes Darren flinch in pain:) Oh, did I make you feel uncomfortable? I'm so sorry.

After about a minute, Benny finished up and backed away from Darren, giving him a contemptable look, and Darren more than giving him one back in kind. William then came up to Darren.

WILLIAM: (In his cold, calm voice:) Now, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, there's a good explanation for it--you see, I hired Sanchez to install a very small device within the inside of the fuel valve that was set to go off at a specified time. I found out from your "father" that he and your "mother" were going to use that plane a day after it had been serviced at Los Angeles International, then to LaGuardia, then flown to the local airport near the mansion. (Darren looks apalled as William continues) The device is something of my creation, while secretly using our Technology Division's technological know how. The device was about a little smaller than the radius of a dime, and just a tad thicker than one. It had a tiny timer on it, and get this--(grins sinisterly:) a tiny sac of some very special corrosive acid contained within it, too. The acid was released on the fuel valve that was connected to the fuel pump when the time expired, creating a hole juuust big enough to allow the fuel to escape damn, it's scary how far we've come in creating things this advanced, isn't it? (Darren simply looks at him, silent) I'll admit it was touch-and-go there for awhile, "nephew", not knowing if your "parents" would go at the last second, or such, but fortunately, they did. (Darren now looks at his uncle hard, stunned at his reserved nature while casually explaining. William continues:) Do you realize it took a good six months to get such a device worked out to my specifications? Benny and I pulled some long hours in designing it just right, (Benny smirks wickedly) but in the end, we hit the jackpot.

DARREN: (Looks at his uncle sadly, shakes his head slowly in disbelief, weak, shaky voice:) W-why, Uncle Will, why?

William gave Darren an incredulous look, as if his "nephew" had lost his mind.

WILLIAM: You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding?

DARREN: (Suddenly red-faced, strains to get out of his ropes at William, screams:) DO I LOOK LIKE I'M KIDDING, UNCLE WILL?! WHY DID YOU DO IT?!

WILLIAM: (Narrows his eyes, cold voice:) Why do you think, "nephew"?! For the power, my boy, for the power! (Adds in a nonchalant manner, looks at the back of his hand cooly:) I wouldn't just kill your "father" and "mother" for nothing, you know--I had to have a reason.

DARREN: (Tries to calm himself:) L-let me see if I understand this correctly--y-you killed my parents just so you could take over the conglomerate? B-but--

WILLIAM: --You were chosen to head the conglomerate instead? (Frowns:) Yes, I know--of course, at the time, I didn't know that they had chosen you--what idiots. (Darren glares at William with daggers) Why did you think I was so upset at the reading of the business will when your "da-da" choose you? I assumed that I would take over after he and his wife died--I couldn't just kill Arthur Sr. alone, you see--I also had to kill Lucille to ensure that I could take over--no need for her to step into his shoes after he died. Imagine my surprise and anger when your parents chose you to become Chairman. (Snorts:) I guess my brother and sister-in-law had the last laugh on me, eh? Anyway, I immediately began of thinking of new ways to eliminate you down the road when you shocked me, my boy. You chose me to head the conglomerate--quite the ironic thing, don't you think? Choosing your "parents" killer to take over in their stead? I couldn't believe my good luck. You should be grateful, Darren--when you chose me, you extended your life. In fact, if you had simply turned over everything to me then and there on a permanent basis, I had actually seriously considered in letting you live out of gratitude for your "seeing the light" in letting me take over--(frowns:) "letting" me, mind you, as if I was some sort of damn temporary caretaker after all the years and hard work I put into this company, but noooo--you had to get nosy, and hire Woo to do some snooping behind the crash after he had found your real family. (Pauses, considers:) I should have recommended someone a little more incompetent to assist you in finding your birth parents, Darren, but, oh well--"hindsight is 20-20", and such--

DARREN: (Shakes with fury, clenched teeth, looks down:) I can't believe I was such a fool--(Benny mouths, "That you were") I knew you were ambitious, Uncle Will, even harsh in business, but-but, this--?

WILLIAM: (Draws his face close to Darren's, narrows eyes:) Actually, there's a deeper reason as to why I did all of this, "nephew". Do you want to know? (Adds:) I mean, really want to know?

DARREN: (After a pause, glares:) For some reason, no I don't, but I think you'll tell me anyway, so knock yourself out.

William gave a sharp laugh out loud.

WILLIAM: That's the spirit, my boy--give me some of that fire! All right, here goes--you remember when I told you about the stockholder's meeting in the Florida Keys last year at the mansion, you know, the part about when I told you that your "father" told me about your being adopted? Well, I lied. (Darren says nothing, narrows eyes) I overheard your "ma-ma" tell Millie that you were adopted on the beach one night while we were there. I think you were actually gone with your "father" and Stephanie to attend some party, or something, I can't remember. Well, anyway, I was just walking on the beach alone after I had spent some time with a female, er, "colleague", when I happened to stumble upon dear Lucille's "confession" near some palm trees. I hid behind a nearby sand dune while she talked. (Sneers while Benny chuckles:) The poor dear was devastated, I can tell you that. Lucille talked to Millie about how you came to be adopted while she and Arthur Sr. were out for that glorious year they put me in charge, and about the Barnes Adoption Agency. Well, you can imagine how stunned I was when I heard it, then I started to become angry over the lie your parents had given us after all of these years. (Pauses:) In a way, it made a certain amount of sense when I thought about it. (Darren looks at William, baffled) I mean, I always thought you were a little out of place as I observed you growing up, Darren--and not just from the fact that you didn't look like your "parents", oh no. You seemed--(searches for words:) oh, like you didn't have that certain confident air about yourself as an Appleton, as if you were little unsure of yourself for some reason, as if you felt you didn't belong--and that made me resent you somehow--that and the fact that you were the heir to the fortune and the conglomerate. I seriously thought about blackmailing your "parents" by demanding the chairmanship from Arthur Sr., even investigating myself on how you came about to be adopted, but I didn't want to take a chance on being exposed--I figured you'd give me the lowdown on how you were cursed into coming into our family--oh, and the fact that your "daddy" and "mommy" were considered such "saints" by every DAMN one, I was afraid that the Board and the stockholders would sympathize with them, and make me the bad guy for exposing their secret--which I guess I am now, (frowns, bitter tone:) as I've always been in my life--God only knows what I did to please your "so-called" grandfather, but in his eyes, Arthur Sr. could do no wrong while we were growing up. Don't tell me you didn't feel like an outsider at times--in fact you told me yourself a very long time ago when you were about seven years old. I'm sure you don't remember--

Darren looked away, shocked, and wide-eyed, then spoke in a whisper.

DARREN: (Cuts him off:) --I do remember, Uncle Will--I remember an argument my parents had one night in the study--it was a terrible one about me, that's how I could still remember it. (Frowns, ponders:) My mother seemed about to say something concerning me to my father when I came into the study to ask what was going on--I was--crying because they were doing so, and I blamed myself for some reason. They stopped arguing immediately, and my mother hugged me, telling me that she and my dad's argument had nothing to do with me--I didn't quite believe her, though.

BENNY: (Faux sympathy, sneers:) Awww--how touching--did "mommy" make the "pain" go away? (Snickers come from everyone but William, while Darren glares at Benny)

WILLIAM: (Now smirks, faux admonishment:) Now, now Benny--my poor, poor "nephew's" in enough "hot water" as it is--no need to rub it in. (Ahem) I remember you coming to me the very next day when your "father" had some business to conduct at the office, Darren, and he took you along like he usually did at times on the job. You told me of your confusion about the argument, and I really tried to be the "caring" uncle--I went to Arthur Sr., and he assured me that nothing was amiss--(pauses:) obviously, the bastard lied to me, (Darren scowls) just as Lucille did, and to everyone else after all of these years. (Looks at Darren stoically:) Your entire existence as an Appleton was a lie, Darren.

DARREN: (Wide-eyed, stunned beyond belief:) How can you say that, Uncle Will? I was raised as an Appleton! I feel--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off, gets in Darren's face:) --DON'T TELL ME ABOUT WHAT YOU "FEEL", BOY! (Pauses, tries to put his anger under control:) How-DARE-you say that you're an Appleton? You weren't born as one! You don't have the blood! You were conceived by a career-driven lawyer who has always put her job ahead of her family, and an idiotic career-driven father who was called a "sissy-wimp" by his domineering military daddy, and sent off to military school because of it! (Darren grits his teeth in hidden fury at his uncle) Face it, "nephew" (leans over almost face-to-face to Darren, emphasizes each word:) --you-were-never-an-Appleton!

DARREN: (Shouts:) THAT'S NOT TRUE, UNCLE WILL! I AM AN APPLETON! THE TAPE--(stops himself)

WILLIAM: Oh yes--that tape you have--the one where your "parents" told you the truth about your being adopted? (Darren looks at William, surprised) In case you're wondering how I found out about it, Millie told me about it. (Pauses:) Where is it by the way?

DARREN: (Looks down and away, sneers:) Gee, I don't know--did you check the planet Pluto, Uncle? (Benny takes a step towards Darren, who looks at Benny with contempt, but William immediately motions for Benny to stop, which he does) I don't give a damn about what you think, Uncle--I am an Appleton.

WILLIAM: (Grins, cool tone:) So you say, Darren, so you say--let's just forget about the tape. Now, if's that's true about your being an "Appleton", then why hadn't you told your birth family of who you really are, before Woo told you of what he found out about Sanchez, eh? You had ample opportunities to do so--maybe you were starting to feel attached to your birth family, you know, getting a feeling of familiarity, of belonging with them instead of with us? Maybe you were thinking of how they'd react to you when they found out your wealth, and how differently they'd think of you, dear boy? I took that into consideration when I filled your head on the notion that the Morgendwillers might do just that when they found out who you were. (Benny and the other captors of Darren think about correcting William, but chose not to do so out of fear)

DARREN: (Through clenched teeth:) Shut up, Uncle Will--that's enough--in fact, I think I'm more of an Appleton than you are, because a "true" Appleton would've never done what you did! (Pauses, realizes, while William scowls at him cooly:) You wanted me out of the way trying to find the Morgendorffers to consolidate your power, didn't you? That's why you transferred Leonard and Constance, isn't it?

WILLIAM: (Sighs:) Never let it be said that you can't see the obvious, Darren--of course I did that! (Pauses:) But now when I think about it, I'm not finished with those two yet.

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes:) What do you mean, Uncle Will?

WILLIAM: Here's what I mean, dear boy--I intend to kill Leonard and Constance later on down the road--probably like you when we take your dead body, and cause an "accident". They had the audacity to challenge me--and believe you me, I never forget a challenge to my authority. (Looks off into space, glares:) It may take a year or two, but they'll get their's.

Darren looked at William, horrified--his uncle was two bricks short of a load. It became all too clear to Darren that this man would destroy anyone and anything that would get his way.

DARREN: You said you were going to kill me, Uncle Will--why then did you kidnap the Morgendorffers and Sandi Griffin? They have nothing to do with any of this! I'm the one that you want! Leave them out of it!

WILLIAM: (Shrugs, faux concern:) I tried, Darren, I really tried, but there was no legal way to get you to turn over the entire conglomerate otherwise--you left me with no other choice. Potter did such a damn fine job with the paperwork--yet another reason why he's got to taken care of--that I had to resort to this!

DARREN: You could have just gotten to me instead of dragging them into this! (Pauses, realizes:) And what about aunt Millie? How are you going to explain my death to her?

WILLIAM: Ah, but then, I had to make sure you'd cooperate with me, Darren. I had to ensure that you'd do what I told you exactly to keep your birth family alive--and as for Millie, don't you worry about her--I'll be there to console her in her grief.

DARREN: You bastard--now I see--you want me to sign over everything to you so you can show the Board and the shareholders my "approval" for you to take over the company!

WILLIAM: (Smiles:) --And to keep your birth family and girlfriend alive, don't forget that.

Darren sighed, then looked pointedly at his uncle.

DARREN: I'll sign--but only when the Morgendorffers and Sandi Griffin are released first.

WILLIAM: (Raised eyebrows:) Why, Darren, don't you trust me, dear boy?

Darren gave his uncle the same incredulous look that William gave him after Darren had asked why William had killed Darren's parents. Turnabout was fair play.

DARREN: (Sneers:) "You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding?"

WILLIAM: (Laughs now:) Very good, Darren--very good, indeed! I suppose you got me there! (Suddenly grows serious:) Of course, you're going to have to trust me--you have no choice, "nephew".

Darren bit his lower lip, rapidly moving his eyes around, thinking of something, anything--he needed to buy some time, somehow. He hoped against hope that someone would figure out that his birth family and Sandi Griffin were missing--right, and Batman would come in and make short work of his uncle and his goons. He found the will to chuckle to himself over that thought despite the situation--his sister's and Jane's sarcasm was rubbing off on him--a least a little, anyway.

DARREN: (Sighs:) All right, Uncle Will, I'll sign. (William and Benny smirk wickedly:) But I want to examine the document thoroughly myself--think of it as a "last request" on my part.

WILLIAM: Fair enough. (Turns toward the spotlight, looks up:) Norwood! Get out from behind that spotlight beam projector and get down here with that file!

Darren heard some grunts in the dark, like someone climbing down a ladder, a quick shuffle of some papers, then hurried footsteps that grew louder. Sam Norwood timidly came out of the darkness holding a file about 30 seconds later, coming up beside William, gasping.

DARREN: (Sardonic, rolls eyes:) More surprises--quite a leap from representing Mafia figures to murder--hmm--now when I think of it, it's more of a short hop than a leap.

NORWOOD: (Offended:) H-hey! I'm not the one wanting to kill you, Mr. Appleton!

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Oh, so it's "Mr. Appleton" now, is it? I should be flattered, I guess-- (pauses, scowls:) as if that's going to clear your conscience? (Smirks:) Take a good look around, Mr. Norwood--you're about to actually join some murderers, and not just by representing them anymore.

NORWOOD: (Frowns:) S-shut up!

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes:) Enough! Norwood, show my "nephew" the document, and let's get this over with!

NORWOOD: Y-yessir, Boss. (Pulls out the document from the file)

(Scene changes to Woo's car, the same time)

Woo was finishing his story about Darren, and Daria and Jane were beyond flabbergasted. All of this on top of what happened to Darren, made Daria look at her brother with a newfound appreciation, Jane, the same. This story had all of the elements of a Greek tragedy, with some Shakespeare thrown in for good measure. Daria then spoke with a certain clarity in her voice.

DARIA: Darren was trying to protect us? He took all of this crap and then some because of some bastard or bastards who killed his adopted parents, making it look like an accident, and they're now going to try and kill my family? (Frowns:) I'll be damned if I let that happen--I'll admit they get on my nerves sometimes, but they're my family--(adds:) even Quinn.

JANE: (Same frown:) You and me both, amiga. Damn it, Woo, who do you think it is?

WOO: I'm only guessing, but I believe that Darren's uncle William Appleton is behind this, or a part of some larger group of people who want to take over the company. I checked to see if he was going to be at work today, but his secretary told me he was out, something that had rarely occured until this weekend. He left a day after Sanchez was killed, which evens adds more to my suspicions.

DARIA: Wait a minute--the William Appleton--the guy who's running the Appleton Conglomerate? Why in the hell would he want to do this crap? Isn't he in charge now?

WOO: Yes, but your brother only put him in temporary control--I'm not sure, but William Appleton may be using your family's kidnapping to somehow make sure that his stay is permanent, Daria, though I can't see how he could pull it off.

JANE: (Slumps back in her seat, low voice, looks down:) Darren and your family, Daria--oh, geez--do you think we can get there in time? (Puts her hand on her forehead, Daria, sitting beside her, reluctantly puts her hand on Jane's shoulder)

DARIA: It'll be like the cavalry, Jane--we'll ride in and kick some ass.

WOO: (Frowns:) No, I don't think you or Jane will, Daria--this isn't a movie--it's quite real. Me and my men have enough things to worry about in your family, this "Sandi Griffin", and your brother. You are not to come in with us, do you understand? You're only here because we needed you to find the place, and that's all!

DARIA: But--

WOO: (Cuts her off sharply:) --NO "but's", Daria! Let us professionals do our jobs!

JANE: (Sits back with her arms crossed, frowns:) Like you did when you allowed that "Sanchez" guy who could've been able to point to the S.O.B. who hired him to kill Darren's adopted parents to die? (Daria looks at Jane as if to say, "Oh, hell, Lane--even I wouldn't have said that")

Woo gave a cool glare at Jane, who was now looking out through the window which she had just rolled down to get some air, closing her eyes in pain away from the others (the rain had let up for the moment just enough for her to do so). Daria looked at her quietly, then at Woo out of the corner of her eye, while Leroy and David, who had been silent all of this time, looked at each other uncomfortably. The car pulled up at an intersection, stopping at an traffic light.

The van carrying Mystik Spiral, better known as the "Tank", drove along the now dark road. Nick was at the wheel, with Trent riding shotgun, and Jesse and Max in the back. All were not in the best of moods, particularly Trent.

TRENT: (Frowns:) First, the new drum gets busted and we have to go to Leeville to get a replacement, which was to supposedly make us an hour late for our gig at McGrundy's, then we get stuck in the damn mud on our way back because of this rainstorm, which put us so far behind, we had to cancel our gig for tonight! This bites, man!

JESSE: Hey, man--at least we were able to call McGrundy's, and explain. They said that most of the people weren't gonna make there anyway because of the rain washing out some of the roads, so chill. We can come back tomorrow night.

TRENT: (Swivels around in his seat, scowls:) Hey, Jess--remember the rumor about a record agent being there, man? We might've blown it because we couldn't make it back, and he couldn't see us? You gotta take into account that those guys are busy all of the time--this could've been our only chance!

MAX: Don't worry, Trent, we're criminales! We've got the reputation! There are other agents, dude!

TRENT: (Swivels back, mumbles:) Yeah, yeah--(sees a car quickly go by, eyes light up:) hey, am I seeing things, or was that Janey I just saw with some strange guys in a car?

NICK: (Shrugs, in a nonchalant tone:) Wouldn't be the first time, man. (Trent frowns at Nick) Hey, man--I didn't mean it like that, okay?

TRENT: (Narrows his eyes:) That was Janey--follow them, Nick.

NICK: (Surprised with the others:) Huh? Why--

Trent gave Nick the glare that said, "Don't screw with me, man". Though he wasn't a fighter, Trent was a leader, and he could communicate what he wanted by just showing the right bodily motions to the group. Nick and the others knew he was serious--to Trent, Jane was his responsibilty, and no one else's, not until she was married, at least. To take up an issue over his sister would be dangerous indeed, at least Nick and the others thought so, though they never found out personally, save for Jesse once, when Trent thought he was taking "advantage" of Jane in the Zen a while back, even though Jane herself had said it was just some necking. Jesse never talked about what happened that night to the others, save for the fact that he did not want to "tangle with Trent over Jane like that again, period".

NICK: Hang on, man, we're on it. (Turns the "Tank" to follow the car)

(Scene is about five minutes later, a little less than a quarter of a mile from the warehouses)

Woo's car pulled up to a clump of trees without the headlights on, and stopped on the muddy road. About this time it had started to rain heavily again, as well as get windy. Woo turned to Daria and Jane to speak while David and Leroy got out of the car and went to the trunk, presumably to get their weapons.

WOO: We don't dare get any closer because there may be lookouts. The rain is a welcome addition, as well as the dark, for both will provide cover to us while we make our way there.

JANE: Why in the hell can't we go with you a little ways at least? Daria and I wouldn't be any trouble. (Thought v.o.: I never thought I'd ever say anything like that.)

WOO: Jane, please--we've talked about this. It's too dangerous. I can't guarantee your safety.

JANE: So when did we pay any damn money for a warranty? We can take care of ourselves, Woo!

WOO: (Scowls now:) I'm not going to argue the point, Jane--I want you and Daria to promise me that you two won't follow me and my men! You've fulfilled your duty by getting us here--now, let us do our jobs!

JANE: But--

WOO: --PROMISE ME!

DARIA: (Sighs:) We--promise, Woo. (Jane scowls at Daria) Jane and I won't follow you.

WOO: (Satisfied:) Good. (Tone grows lower:) Look, I'm really sorry about this, but I just don't want to see either of you get hurt, or possibly get even killed. I've failed Darren once before--I don't want to do so again. I promise to try and get your family, Sandi Griffin, and Darren out. (Pauses:) If we don't come back in 30 minutes, take the car, and call the police.

Woo got out of the car and went to meet David and Leroy in the rain. Both girls saw Woo reach into his jacket and pull out a huge gun, checking it for ammo. Jane glanced at the gun and spoke to Daria.

JANE: Woo's got a 44 Magnum. (David and Leroy pull out their guns and check for ammo as well:) Those guys have Glocks--(Daria looks at Jane, intrigued) that's some serious damn firepower they have, amiga.

DARIA: You know your guns--are you in the N.R.A. or something?

JANE: (Shrugs:) Nope--but I have read some gun magazines. (Smirks:) There's so much potential for bloody violence, I just can't resist! It's a great subject for a nihilist painting! I'll call it "The Guns of Nihilone--Existence is Useless!"

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) You have such a positive outlook on life, my friend.

JANE: (Smirks back:) Hey, you're one to talk, amiga. (Daria gives her Mona Lisa smile)

Daria and Jane watched the men go into the now-dark windy and rainy night.

JANE: Okay, they're gone, Daria--let's get the hell out and follow them--(starts to open the door)

DARIA: (Hesitates:) --No, Jane.

JANE: Yeah, and we'll--(pauses:) huh? I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you right--did you just say no?

DARIA: Yeah, I said no.

JANE: Hey, where did all of this come from? A few minutes ago, we were the cavalry, now suddenly, it's "no"? Daria, your family, and Darren being a part of it, mind you--is in there--(adds as an afterthought:) oh, and Sandi is as well! How in the hell can you just sit out here and wait?! We gotta--

DARIA: (Cuts her off:) --Jane, as much as I would like to charge in there and beat the hell out of the bastards who have my family--(adds as an afterthought as well:) and Sandi--(sighs:) we can't. I've been condsidering what Woo said, and he's right--the bad guys probably have guns--Woo and his men have guns--we don't have guns--not that I'd ever carry one, mind you. We'd only be in the way, and could get ourselves killed in the process.

Jane looked at Daria, shocked, then frowned.

JANE: I never thought that Daria Morgendorffer would ever be scared of anything! You've always stood up for what you believed in! Don't you believe we need to save your family--and Sandi?!

DARIA: Of course I do, Jane--but I believe in standing up for my principles, not in standing up and charging in there and possibly getting a family member or myself killed. I'm not a violent person by nature, Jane--I only use sarcasm as means to put people in their place, and call things as I see them.

JANE: (Opens the door, shakes her head slowly:) You're telling me things I already know, amiga--and I'm going to call something as I see it--you're a coward, Daria! (Daria looks stunned) I'm going in there to help save Darren and his family--and Sandi! You can stay in this car and cower, but not me!

DARIA: Jane, wait--

Jane got out in the rain, and started to walk in the direction where Woo and his men went. Daria stared at Jane for a moment, then mouthed "Ah, hell", and got out of the car, too. She jogged a little to catch up to Jane, who had stopped when she saw Daria.

JANE: (Shouting over the rain, grins:) I figured that would shake you to get off of your ass!

DARIA: (Ditto:) Oh I'm shaking, all right--shaking in my damn boots! I guess if I'm gonna die, it might as well be in a blaze of glory! (Starts to leave with Jane)

Both stopped when they saw headlights coming towards them in the road. For a moment, the headlights appeared that they were not going to stop, but they did. The headlights shut off, and Trent got out with the others. He rushed up to a shocked Jane and hugged her.

TRENT: Janey, it was you! I knew it! (Sees Daria:) Hey, Daria--we thought we had lost you guys a ways back!

DARIA: Hey Trent! Fancy meeting you out here in the "Great Outdoors"! (Sees the rest of the band:) Welcome to the abyss, gentleman--leave your sanity at the door--I know I just have! (Jesse and the others look at each other, confused)

JANE: Trent, what in the hell are you and the guys doing here?! I thought you'd be at McGrundy's by now! (Pauses, realizes:) Hey, did you say you were following us?!

TRENT: Yeah! Our gig at McGrundy's got cancelled because we couldn't get back from Leeville in time! We saw you go by (points at Woo's car:) in that car with some guys! Why are you guys out here, who are those guys you were with--(looks around:) and where's Darren?! Wasn't he with you two?

JANE: Trent, Daria and I will try to tell you and the guys in bits and pieces on the way to the warehouse district--c'mon, we might not have much time! (Pulls Trent with her as she goes with Daria and the others into the darkness)

(Scene changes to the warehouse where Darren and his captors are)

William kept looking at his watch impatiently while Darren was "carefully" looking over the document. Save for the rain outside, there was silence in the dimly lit-to-darkened warehouse. Benny glared at Darren, while Oscar and Ernie were standing around, and talking. Bert had gone to check on Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Sandi.

DARREN: (In his most deliberately slow tone:) Mr. Norwood, will you explain paragraph four, section three to me again? I want to make absolutely sure I understand it--(adds:) and please, call me Darren.

NORWOOD: (Perfectly in his "element":) Why, certainly, Mr.--er, Darren, you see--

BENNY: (Cuts him off, takes gun out of his holster, points it at a flinching Darren:) He's stalling, Boss! I think your "nephew's" up to something!

DARREN: (Sneers:) How can I be "up to something", Benny, while I'm all tied up here? You haven't seen anyone else come in here trying to rescue me, have you?

BENNY: Not yet. Boss, can't we check outside?

WILLIAM: (After a moment:) I don't see why not--good thinking, Benny--maybe you haven't lost your usefulness to me. (Benny sighs in relief) Take Oscar and check out there. (Oscar gives a slight frown of disapproval from having to stand in the rain previously, but says nothing)

BENNY: Right, Boss. (Smirks:) C'mon, "Grouch". (Oscar scowls at him as he takes out his gun as well while they leave out into the dark warehouse and outside)

WILLIAM: Now, my patience is wearing thin, "nephew". You've had more than enough time to examine the document--it's time for you to sign it so you can save your girlfriend and family. (Pulls out a pen:) Get it over with, dear boy.

DARREN: (Glares:) And how do I do that, Uncle, with my mouth? You're going to have to untie me, you know.

WILLIAM: (Chuckles:) Oh, no you don't--I'm no fool, Darren--the moment you get loose, you'll try some fool martial arts stunt to free yourself. Instead, I'll loosen one of your arms so you can sign the document, and since you're right-handed, it'll be that one. Norwood, do the honors, and loosen his arm. (Bert comes out of the dark:) Ah--Bert--take out your gun along with Ernie and point it at Darren to keep him from trying something. (Both do so) How are the Morgendopplers and that "Griffin" girl?

BERT: As well as can be expected, Boss--(adds:) though the Griffin girl and that "Quinn" girl were arguing over who's dress was dirtier, and your "nephew's" birth mother and father were arguing over who was a better parent to their kids. (William looks at Bert strangely, while Darren gives a weak smirk while thinking about both scenes)

DARREN: (Now resumes a serious look to William:) You do realize if you shoot me, you won't get my signiture, and the document will be void.

WILLIAM: (Ponders:) Yes, I guess that's true--but what if we shoot someone in your family, or something? (Smiles:) You get my "drift"?

DARREN: Loud and clear, uncle.

WILLIAM: Spendid--Norwood?

Norwood began to unravel Darren's right hand as Bert and Ernie pointed their guns at Darren.

(Scene changes to outside, the same time)

The rain was getting even heavier as Woo, David, and Leroy made their way towards the warehouses, which were now in sight. All three had split up in a zig-zag pattern, yet keeping each other in sight, all the while constantly looking around for anything out of the ordinary. All three stopped about 300 feet from the warehouses, hiding behind the trees that ringed the inlet. Suddenly, Benny came out from behind one of the warehouses, looking around, his gun cocked. He glanced in the direction of Woo and the others for a moment, then continued to look around. A moment later, Oscar appeared beside him, and both started to move forward to one of the other warehouses. The instant both went out of sight behind it, Woo motioned to Leroy and David to come to him.

WOO: (Shouts:) There's a fence that's surrounding the site! Either we make our way to the front gate and get through there, or try to find a place and climb it! Suggestions!?

LEROY: Trying to climb it could leave us vunerable, Woo!

DAVID: Going to the front gate could do the same thing, Woo--they could have someone waiting there! I vote we should try and climb the fence in a place! There's no barbed wire on the top of the fence, and it could only take a minute to get over for each one of us! We could keep watch for anybody who might suddenly show up!

LEROY: I agree with David, Woo! It could be a little difficult in this rain to try and climb the fence, but I think it can be done!

WOO: Okay! Let's try it! Once I get over to the other side, I'll move to a the side of one of the warehouses, and watch over you two from there, then Leroy goes next, and David watches him on this side while Leroy climbs over, then Leroy and I can watch for David while David climbs over to the other side, and we can all go to a warehouse! (Both men give curt nods while Woo runs up to a spot, then starts to climb it while David and Leroy act as lookouts)

About 500 feet over to the right, Daria, Jane, and the members of Mystik Spiral came out of the woods towards the warehouses. They did not see Woo and his men, thanks to the combination of the heavy rain, wind, and the darkness. After going behind some bushes, Daria and the others formed a circle and talked loud over the driving wind and rain.

DARIA: Okay, we're here--now how do we get in?!

JANE: We could try climbing the fence in one place!

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Oh, sure--and some goon could come out of one of those warehouses, spot us, and use us for target practice! Without guns, Jane, we'd be sitting ducks!

TRENT: How about trying the front gate? We could come up to it and see if it's open, and get in! If someone's there, we can find another place to climb over, away and behind the warehouses! We might not have any weapons, but we have our wits, man! (Daria's about to say something sarcastic in response, but Jane cuts her off)

JANE: Why, bro--that's a splendiferous idea! Let's go for it! (Takes off for the front)

Daria was about to say something, but everyone else had followed Jane before she could. Daria sighed, and shuffled after the others through the heavy rain.

Woo finally was able to finally get over the fence in the driving rain and wind, and he immediately pulled out his gun and started to go in the direction of the warehouses while Leroy climbed over next. David, still on the outside, had his gun out, and was watching for Leroy. Woo carefully came up against the far right warehouse, and moved against it in a stealthy manner while watching the other two. He took a quick look at the warehouse he was leaning on, looking through the windows. He could not see anything at all --Darren, his family, and this "Griffin" girl must be in one of the other warehouses.

As he turned back to David and Leroy, he suddenly heard a shot from around the corner of the warehouse he was beside of being fired, and it was aimed at David, who dove to the ground in a ditch which was beside the fence on the other side. David fired back in that direction. Leroy, who had just jumped from the fence unto Woo's side, pulled out his gun, and quickly made his way over to Woo, who himself was out of the line of fire. The shots had apparently come from around the corner of a warehouse beside the one Woo was at. Woo started to fire his gun around the corner in that direction as well to help cover for Leroy, who joined him. They were now discovered--all hell was about to break loose. Woo looked over at David, and screamed over the rain and wind.

WOO: David, you okay?!

DAVID: Yeah, Woo! Don't worry about me!

LEROY: Woo, there's nothing we can do for David at the moment. We gotta move as quickly as possible! They could go after the hostages!

WOO: (Through clenched teeth:) Yes, you're right--let's go! (Suddenly turns to the locked door of the warehouse:) Let's cut through here!

Woo shot the lock open, and went into the warehouse, followed closely by Leroy.

(Scene changes to the front gate, a minute earlier)

Daria and the others had come up to the front gate. Trent tried it, and it came open, while the others had been watching in the direction of the warehouses.

TRENT: All right! Let's go in!

DARIA: Carefully, that is!

JANE: Enough gabbing! Time's a wastin'! (Starts to walk forward)

Suddenly, several shots erupted, followed by some shouts, and everyone dived on the ground, looking around, wide-eyed in fear, with their arms over their heads.

NICK: W-what in the hell was that!? It s-sounded like gunshots!

DARIA: You don't say! What made you come to that sterling conclusion, Nick!?

JESSE: Hey, I don't think they were aimed at us!

JANE: (After a moment:) Jesse's right--those shots seemed to go in the opposite direction! We just heard them!

MAX: M-maybe we should go in the opposite direction too, man --away from here!

TRENT: No way, Max--we gotta help Daria's family, Darren, and that "Sandi" chick!

NICK: But what good will we be if don't have anything to defend ourselves, Trent?!

JESSE: Maybe we can find something inside or on the grounds?!

JANE: I agree with Jesse! Let's move out! (Gets up with the others, who are now muddy, and move cautiously towards the warehouses)

(Scene changes to the room where Helen, Jake, Quinn and Sandi are, two minutes earlier)

Jake and Helen were struggling to free themselves, though Jake was humming a meaningless tune while doing so. Helen had blocked out his humming in her head, concentrating on getting free instead. Sandi and Quinn were talking about fashion in the meantime, though a now-bored Quinn was about to tell Sandi the unthinkable.

QUINN: --Uh, Sandi--no offense, but I'm kinda tired of talkin' about fashions an' stuff right now, you know?

SANDI: (Shocked, frowns:) Quh--inn! Did I heeear you right?! You're getting tired of the latest gowns and pants, and--

QUINN: (Faux offense, rolls her eyes:) Sannndi! Um--it's not that I'm tired of fashions, I'm just saying that I'm tired of talking about fashions! If we talk about the latest fashions right now, what are we gonna talk about in the future fashion meetings? I'm suggesting that we should save such talk until then--(pauses while Sandi reflects:) I mean, dontcha want Tiffany and Stacy to be in on our talks?

SANDI: (After a moment:) Very well, Quinn--like, what do you want to talk about?

HELEN: (Cuts in, while struggling:) I have a suggestion, you two--how about instead of talking about something else, why not do something else?

QUINN: What do you mean, Mom? Do what?

HELEN: How about trying to free yourselves from these ropes we're in? Those horrid men say that they're going to free us later, but we don't dare wait until then to find out! They could change their minds, and--

QUINN: MUH--OOM! If Sandi and I try to free ourselves, we'll (ugh) rub our wrists raw, and damage our delicate skin! We've already have our (ew) dresses dirty!

SANDI: Well said, Quinn--an' it's sooo unfashionable to do so! Mrs. Morgendorffer, you have to understand--

The next instant, several shots rang out, scaring everyone, including Jake, who was shaken out of his "little humming world".

JAKE: (Jumps:) AGH! WHAT IN THE HELL WAS THAT!?

HELEN: OH GOD! GUNSHOTS! (Starts to struggle even harder against the ropes along with Jake:) THEY'RE COMING TO GET US!

QUINN: (Now panicked:) OHMYGOD! Uhhh--Sandi--?

SANDI: (Suddenly struggles aginst the ropes:) LIKE, QUINN, WHAT'RE YOU WAITING FOR!? LET'S GET FREE!! (Quinn glares back at Sandi for a second, then joins Sandi and the others in trying to get free)

(Scene changes to the inside of the middle warehouse, back to Darren and his captors, a minute earlier)

Darren had just finished signing the document. William picked it up and looked at it like it was the most precious thing in the world--and to William it was. Darren glared at him while William did so.

WILLIAM: (Grins:) Finally--the Appleton Conglomerate, all of it's mine, all mine. This is the greatest day of my life!

DARREN: Okay, Uncle Will, you have what you want--now I assume you'll keep your word and release the Morgendorffers and Sandi Griffin?

WILLIAM: (Snaps out of his "trance":) Eh? Oh, yes, I'll release them--into the next world, that is. (Folds up, puts paper into his shirt)

DARREN: (Stunned:) WHAT!?

WILLIAM: I've decided to change my mind. Oscar was right--we can't afford any loose ends. There are too many people involved in this, my boy.

DARREN: (Enraged:) YOU DAMN BASTARD! THEY DID NOTHING TO YOU!

William stared at Darren stoically, then pulled out his gun and pointed it at Darren, whose eyes grew huge.

WILLIAM: Oh yes they did, "nephew"--they knew you. Goodbye. (Is about to pull the trigger, when shots are fired outside, which makes Darren flinch, then take a deep breath in relief:) What-the-hell? Bert, Ernie, check that out!

BERT: Right, Boss--c'mon, Ernie! (Both he and Ernie leave)

WILLIAM: (Ponders:) Best not to take any chances. Darren, it looks like my personal execution of you will have to wait for the time being! Norwood, stay here with my lucky "nephew" while I check that out with Bert and Ernie! (Starts to leave)

NORWOOD: B-but Boss--I-I don't have a gun! (Darren narrows his eyes slightly at this)

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes:) You idiot! He's all tied up, save for his right arm! All you have to do is watch him! (Leaves into the darkness)

NORWOOD: O-okay, Boss.

Darren listened to his uncle's footsteps fade, then he stole a quick glance at Norwood, who was about ten feet from him, then began to whisper something to himself, turning his head away from Norwood. Norwood frowned, perplexed.

NORWOOD: (Narrows his eyes:) Hey, what are you doing?

Darren ignored him, and continued to whisper to himself with his head turned away from Norwood.

NORWOOD: (Draws closer:) I asked you a question! What are you doing?!

Darren still whispered to himself. Norwood began to get angry, drawing even more closer.

NORWOOD: DON'T IGNORE ME! I SAID WHAT ARE YOU--

Before Norwood could react, Darren had used his free arm, and grabbed Norwood around the neck, pulling Norwood to him. Darren whispered in a low, but dangerous tone, while Norwood gasped for air, struggling.

DARREN: Don't shout. Since you were so curious, I was trying to lure you to me, that's what I was doing I'll say this just once--untie me right now, or I'll break your neck, I swear I will. I know certain martial arts holds that will do the trick, and with the way I'm feeling right now, don't think I won't snap it, you got that? Grunt once if you understand me. (Norwood grunts once) Good--now start to loosen the ropes. If you even think about shouting, you're dead. (A terrified Norwood awkwardly reaches down and starts to loosen Darren's ankles while Darren continues to hold Norwood's neck)

DARREN: Do you know where my family and Sandi Griffin are held?

NORWOOD: (Gasps:) T-they're in the next warehouse over!

DARREN: Good--once you've untied me, we're going over there to free them--hurry up!

(Scene changes to outside of the warehouses, where Oscar and Benny are, the same time)

Benny and Oscar were stationed around the corner of a warehouse, watching the fence through the driving rain, with their guns drawn.

BENNY: Hah! I knew I saw something!

OSCAR: We didn't get that guy who was running across and behind to the next warehouse over, Benny--and somebody else fired some shots at us from where he ran to! How many do you think are out there, and are they cops?

BENNY: I don't know, and I don't care, Oscar--all I know is that you're going to keep an eye on that bastard out there near the fence! I'll go back inside and get the Boss and the others! (Leaves while Oscar scowls after him, then looks back to the fence)

(Scene changes to the warehouse nearest the front gate)

A completely-soaked Daria, Jane, and the others had worked their way up to beside the warehouse, still constantly looking around for anyone, but finding no one. Trent, at the front, was about to motion everyone to go on, when he stumbled into a water-filled open barrel, which was sitting beside the outer wall, and almost had tipped it over, making a rattling sound while splashing some water out of it, but was held up at the last second by Nick, Jesse, and Max. Jane, who along with Daria had been trailing in the rear, scowled at her brother, then came up to him, and spoke.

JANE: Geez, Trent, why not just announce our arrival with an airhorn, why dontcha?!

TRENT: (Scowls right back:) Hey, Janey--lay off! It's still raining pretty hard out here--I don't think anybody heard us! Besides, I didn't see the barrel, okay?

JANE: It was right there in front of you! It wasn't exactly invisible, you know!? (Pauses:) And remember, we did hear those shots in the rain!

While Trent and Jane were glaring at one another, Daria noticed something protruding out of the top of the barrel. She made her way between Jesse and Nick and looked in it, then turned to the two Lane siblings.

DARIA: Um, guys!? (Starts to reach into the barrel with both hands)

JANE: (While still glaring at Trent:) Yeah, Daria!?

Daria pulled out some old, rusted pipes in each hand, about an inch-and-a-half in diameter, and about two feet long in length. She started to smirk as Jane and Trent looked at her with everyone else.

DARIA: I think we've found Jesse's weapons--there's several more in here. (Jane and the others look at each other, and begin to smirk as well as they all reach into the barrel)

(Scene changes to the middle warehouse)

Bert and Ernie were about to go outside through a side fire door and find out what was going on, when they suddenly ran into a soaked Benny, who came from outside through the same door. He was about to say something, when William came up behind Bert and Ernie.

WILLIAM: (Frowns:) What in the hell's going on, Benny? Were those shots we heard?

BENNY: (Wide-eyed, gasps for breath:) Y-yeah, Boss--Oscar and I saw some people outside while we were making our round, and we fired some shots at them, and they fired back at us! I don't know how many are out there, but Oscar has one S.O.B. in a ditch pinned in on the other side of the fence! Another guy had just scaled it, and apparently, he was following yet another guy who had already climbed the fence, because that guy fired at us! I think he and the other guy are in the next warehouse over!

WILLIAM: DAMN! All right--Bert, Ernie, I want you to see if you two can find the asses that took some shots at Oscar and Benny--take off. (Both go outside by the door and do so) Benny, I'm going to go back into the bay area and finish off my "nephew", then join them--that dimwit Norwood is watching over him until I get back!

BENNY: Aww, geez, Boss--I wanted to be there to see you do it!

WILLIAM: (Chuckles:) Now, now, Benny--tell you what--why don't you go and finish off Darren's family as a consolation prize?

BENNY: (Brightens up:) You really mean it, Boss?

WILLIAM: Sure! I had told my "nephew" I was going to get rid of them anyway! Knock yourself out!

BENNY: Thanks, Boss! (Leaves to the next warehouse over by the same door as Bert and Ernie)

William went back to where he left Darren and Norwood in the large bay, holding his gun. As he looked at the spotlight in the center of the bay, he began to frown, confused at the sight. He went closer, and saw that the chair that had Darren was empty, laying over to one side with the ropes strung out on them, and Norwood was gone as well. He stared at the chair for a second more, realized something, then quickly ran back into the darkness.

(Scene changes to David in the ditch, outside)

David couldn't move without being shot at, and he knew it. From his rainy vantage point, he could only see the warehouses, but knew at least one of the men were watching him, waiting for him to move out. David felt helpless, cursing his luck--Woo and Leroy were somewhere in there, and he was stuck out here unable to do anything but stay in the ditch. He frowned to himself.

DAVID: (Thought v.o.: The hell with this--I gotta do something, maybe find better cover. Maybe the rain will provide enough of a cover--here goes) (Starts to get out of the ditch)

Oscar watched the ditch intently, shivering, and soaked to the bone. When this was all over, he was going to ask for a triple bonus--he felt he deserved it for all of this mess. Oscar started to think about what he was going to do with the extra money, when he saw the man who had been in the ditch suddenly jump out. Oscar grinned.

OSCAR: (Aims his gun, thought v.o.: So long, chump)

Oscar was about to fire when he felt a thud on the back of his head. He slumped forward face-first, and fell to the pavement. Trent looked him over along with the others.

TRENT: Got im'! (Looks back at Daria and Jane:) Uh, he is one of the bad guys, right?!

Daria and Jane turned the man over and looked at him.

DARIA: He wasn't with Woo and his men, so yeah, I think you did!

JANE: (Grins:) I concur, amiga--one bad guy down, a million more to go!

NICK: What should we do with him?

TRENT: Move 'em some place out of the way, dudes--he won't be waking up for awhile! (Picks up the man's gun, while Nick, Jess, and Max do so:) Now, we got a real weapon!

DARIA: (Looks uncomfortable:) Uh, do you know how to use a gun, Trent?!

TRENT: (Waves it around:) How hard could it be, Daria!? Just point and shoot it!

JANE: Hey, I can--

TRENT: No offense, Janey, but reading a gun magazine, and actually holding a real gun are two different things! (Jane frowns) I'll keep the gun--it'll be safer if I do it!

JANE: (Curt:) Fine! (Turns to a surprised Daria, begins to pull her by the arm:) C'mon, Daria--

TRENT: --Hey, Janey--where are you going?!

JANE: To get my own gun! We can help out Woo and his men better by splitting up anyway!

TRENT: (Alarmed:) Janey, wait--it's not safe for us to be separated!

JANE: (Turns back to Trent, sneers:) You've got a gun, bro--so why shouldn't you feel safer!? (Continues on, pulls Daria)

TRENT: But--

DARIA: (Looks back at Trent:) --I'll try to watch out for her, Trent! You guys see if you can find my family and Sandi, too! (Fades off into the rainy darkness with Jane)

TRENT: (Watches after them:) Damn, it Janey--you're stubborn, you know that!? (Thought v.o.: Watch out for her, Daria.)

(Scene changes to one of the warehouses)

Bert and Ernie started to go down a long, dark, wide area with their guns drawn--the area was currently being used as a storage space for several stacks of crates. They thought they had heard some sort of noise up ahead. Ernie leaned over to Bert and whispered.

ERNIE: You sure Benny said these guys are over here?

BERT: (Whispers as well:) Yeah, I did--now shut up! We don't want to give away our position!

The next instant, a stack of crates that both men were standing beside of, suddenly fell on top of both men, pinning them and simultaneously knocking the wind out of them. Woo and Leroy, who had been on top of the stacks beside the one that fell on the men, jumped down and looked at the pile of wood, arms, and legs.

WOO: (Smirks:) Too late. (Looks at Leroy:) Nice kick.

LEROY: (Smirks as well:) You too--I used to be a punter on my college football team.

WOO: Midfielder for me on my college soccer team. Think you can handle this?

LEROY: Got you covered. I saw a roll of packing twine nearby --you find the hostages, and I'll join you after I tie them up--be careful, Woo.

WOO: I always am. (Leaves)

(Scene goes to the warehouse where Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Sandi are)

Benny checked his gun clip for the right amount of ammo just as he walked into the warehouse. He wanted to make sure he had enough for the job. Benny paused for a moment. He was going to cold-bloodedly kill some helpless people. Benny had never done such a thing before, but he decided long ago to not allow his conscience to bother him--especially when it came to business. He remembered toiling in the mailrooms as a just-graduated-from-business-school office worker until that fateful time 22 years ago when he had first met William Appleton while delivering some mail to him in his office. Awed by William's "commanding" presence, Benny remembered having asked him countless times about how to get ahead in business, and William had marvelled over Benny's eagerness to learn. William then took Benny on as a protege, and Benny's career took off. Having never forgotten, Benny felt complete loyalty to his "Boss", and now Benny smirked to himself, feeling nothing--to him, this was business as well. He was about to go to the far back of the warehouse where the hostages were, when he heard what seemed to be struggling and muffled sounds up ahead in the dim light. Benny cocked his gun, and cautiously proceeded forward.

Benny went about 50 feet, and was shocked to find a wide-eyed and panicked Norwood looking at him tied up face-first and gagged with his arms around each side of one of the large columns that held up the ceiling of this particular warehouse. Hold it--if Norwood was here, then where was--

Before he could finish that thought, he felt a kick in his lower back from behind, which threw him forward onto the floor, and also dislodged his gun, which slid on the concrete floor into the darkness, and away from the dimmed lights. Wincing in pain, he grabbed his back and turned around while on the floor--even before he did, he knew instantly who had done it. Before him standing was a sight that terrified him--an enraged Darren Appleton, who began to speak in a savage tone of voice, whispering, as he began to slowly advance on Benny.

DARREN: (Sneers down at Benny:) Hello, Benny.

BENNY: (Trembles, hold up his hands:) O-oh, God, Darren--p-please don't do this! I-I was only following William's orders!

DARREN: I could and should kill you, Benny--but you're not worth it, oh, no--that honor goes to my dear "uncle". (Reaches over in the dark, pulls out a rope, and a rag:) Get up--go ahead, make a sound--give me an excuse to beat you into the ground--assume the same position Norwood has. (Benny timidly stands up, goes over to the same column Norwood's at on the other side)

Darren gagged Benny, then tied Benny's arms around the post like Norwood's, making sure to pull a little extra hard on Benny's arms, which made Benny wince.

DARREN: (In a mocking tone:) Oh, did I make you feel uncomfortable? I'm so sorry! (Leaves)

(Scene changes to the other side of the same warehouse)

A throughly-soaked Daria and Jane had found an unlocked door and had entered the warehouse through the side. The wall that they were beside of consisted of old and cracked windows, not broken like on some of the others, and it overlooked the inlet. Both were still carrying their pipe "weapons". Daria looked over at a brooding Jane, speaking in a whisper.

DARIA: We shouldn't have left Trent and the guys. I know that you think he treats you like a baby sometimes, but it's only because he cares, Jane.

JANE: (Through clenched teeth, slightly louder voice, frowns:) Damn it, Daria, you don't think I know that? I'm just freakin' sick-and tired of people who keep suffocating me in the name of "love" and "care"! I can take care of myself!

DARIA: (Small smirk:) Hmmm, I'm wondering--did Tom "suffocate" you like that--(Jane glares at Daria) and if so, will you be that way with my bro when he "suffocates" you with "love" and "care", too?

JANE: (Stops, cocks an eyebrow:) Just what are you getting at, Daria?

DARIA: (Realizes she may have hit a nerve here, gingerly tries to handle the situation:) That, um, well, you sometimes have this tendency to want to do everything your own way, Jane. From what I understand, a relationship has to be a team effort, not just a one-way street.

JANE: (Frowns, angered:) Whoa--where did this come from? I gave more than I got with Tom! He wanted to control me, remember? Darren's not like that!

DARIA: (Frowns herself:) I never said that Darren would control you, Jane--but I can see that my bro does care for you. I think he might feel kind of hurt if you don't let him be there for you.

JANE: Waaaaait a second, amiga--Darren was there for me when he saved my life--

DARIA: (Cuts her off gently:) --No, that's not what I'm talking about, Jane--I mean, when Darren's gonna want to help you down the road if you two start to become--more (pauses:)--"serious" with each other? (Jane looks away for a second, red-faced) You know, with his money, or something--like when you go to college? (Jane frowns again, this time out of confusion) Are you gonna allow him to do so if he offers, or are you gonna say, "No thanks, I can do this on my own like everything else in my life, and I don't need anybody."

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Daria, please--I told you I don't give a damn about Darren's wealth--I-like-him. (Shrugs:) If he wants to offer a little money to help me, well, I'd uh--consider it.

DARIA: (Sarcastic:) Oh--well--that's different, then--that you'd "consider" my bro's offer of "help", and not accept it outright. I'm sure Darren would understand that little quirk of yours perfectly.

JANE: (Smirks:) Would you?

DARIA: (Arches an eyebrow:) Come again?

JANE: Like I said--would you accept your brother's offer of money for college, or in that fact, something else?

DARIA: (Narrows eyes:) "Something else", liiiiike--

JANE: I dunno--what if he wanted to get you a new car, or something? He would do it, you know, if you asked him to. (Pauses, smirks:) I know Quinn would do it in an instant.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Quinn would ask Darren for a whole damn lot of cars, planes, and yachts, not to mention expensive wardrobes, mountain retreats--

JANE: Exactly, and stop giving me the obvious crappy runaround, here. Would you accept money from your bro if he offered it? (Pauses:) It would seem to me that you would. (Daria frowns at Jane, angered) Hey, before you answer, think about it for a second--you take money from your parents when they offer it--

DARIA: (Sighs:) --Jane, my parents offer me money outright about as often as Quinn refuses to take it when they offer it to her--which you know what the answer is to that. I have to sometimes get them into my little "guilt-trip" schemes, and such--

JANE: --Which you no longer would have to do now that your bro--

DARIA: --And your boyfriend--

JANE: (Annoyed slightly:) --is Richie Rich. You've basically got it made.

DARIA: I'd never take advantage of my bro, Jane, I--

JANE: (Grins:) --Care about him too much to do so?

DARIA: (Glares for a moment:) I just want to make it on my own, that's all. I wouldn't want to become a--sponge like Quinn. I have my scruples.

JANE: (Quietly:) But if Darren offered to help you out of--brotherly love?

Daria stared at Jane wide-eyed for a moment and looked away. Jane smirked. Gotcha, amiga--admit you're fond of him. After a long pause, Daria was about to answer when both were interrupted.

VOICE FROM THE DARK: Boooooring. I knew Darren would be perceived differently once his birth family found out he had the moolah! (Daria and Jane jump at the voice, hold their pipes in a defensive stance) Oh, come now--do you really think those "weapons" would do any good against my weapon, ladies? (Source of the voice comes out of the dark into the dim lights, points a gun at them, grins, speaks in a perky voice:) Hi!

DARIA: Who in the hell are you--the answer to the "Good Humor Man"?

MAN: Nooo--I'm far worse--the name's William Appleton, and Darren's uncle, and little ringleader of the people who have your family hostage. You know, I don't think I would have noticed you both a second ago if you hadn't said anything--those are the breaks, I guess. (Smirks:) Drop your "weapons", please. (Both girls look at each other, do so, and the pipes hitting the floor make a noise) Oh, dear --that'll probably get my nephew's attention, if Benny doesn't get to him first.

JANE: (Scowls:) So Woo was right! You're the bastard who's behind all of this!

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes, thought v.o.: Way to go, Lane--give up the element of surprise to this slimeball--he'll know to watch out for Woo and his men now.) What do you mean, "If Benny doesn't get to him first"? (Pauses, smirks:) Are you saying Darren's running around here free to cause some mischief? (Jane smirks)

WILLIAM: I wouldn't worry about Darren if I were you, my dear. (Looks around:) So, Woo's behind all of the trouble, eh? (Scowls:) I knew I should've went on ahead and eliminated that S.O.B. when I had the chance! Well, I'm sure that my men will take care of him. (Pauses, frowns:) Who are you two, anyway?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) I'm Betty Crocker.

JANE: (Ditto:) And I'm Sara Lee. We can make some pastries for you--

DARIA: --And then we'll gladly shove them up your big, greedy corporate ass.

WILLIAM: (Scowls slightly:) Oh, I have two wise-asses, here, eh? Well, if you're here to "rescue" the hostages, I'm afraid you're too late.

DARIA: (Turns pale with Jane:) What--do you mean, "too late"?

WILLIAM: (In a calm voice:) Why, my assistant Benny has killed them all, that's what I mean, "Betty Crocker". (Daria's eyes grow big with horror) Oh, they must've meant something to you, eh? You must be the other sister--huh--you're not much of a looker, are you? (Daria and Jane frown at him while William grins wickedly:) This is delightful--first I take Darren's adopted family away, and now your family too--and Darren's birth family!

DARIA: (Scowls deeply, horrified:) YOU BASTARD! YOU--YOU KILLED MY FAMILY!? (Starts to go toward William in a rage, which surprises Jane and even William)

(Scene changes to somewhere in the same warehouse, a minute earlier)

Darren was making his way to the room where his birth family and Sandi were being held when he had heard what sounded like a metallic sound on the other side of the warehouse. He had paused for a moment, wondering if he should ignore the sound and continue on, since he was pretty well-hidden in the dark, but on a second thought decided to check out the source of the sound--Darren had been sure that Benny was probably sent to kill Darren's birth family and Sandi since Benny was in this warehouse, but Darren had "secured" Benny (as well as Norwood), so Darren figured his birth family and Sandi were safe for the time being.

A second thought went through Darren's head--what was the source of those shots he had heard? Not that he was complaining of the timing of them occurring, of course, but could his prayers have been answered? Was someone helping him and the others? Darren was still on this thought when he heard a cry that resonated throughout the warehouse, about 200 feet in front of him--it sounded somewhat familiar, but he couldn't quite place it. He quickened his pace in the direction of the cry, and came out to the edge of the darkness, stunned.

About 100 feet in front of him, he saw a wet and dirty Daria and Jane, and his uncle William standing, but even more shocking was what Daria was doing--she was rushing toward his uncle in a full fury--and this as William had a gun on her. Horrified, Darren rushed forward.

(Scene changes to a warehouse beside the one Daria and the others are in, about five minutes earlier than Darren seeing Daria and Jane)

Trent, Jesse, Nick, and Max came inside and dried themselves off, in a dimmed space, looking around carefully.

TRENT: Damn it--Janey's somewhere around here, and she could be in trouble! Why didn't I just force her to come with us?

JESSE: Hey, c'mon, man--you know Jane's got her own mind, right? There was nothing you could do--

TRENT: --Except get herself and Daria killed! I'm going after them both--

VOICE FROM THE DARK: Hold it--drop your gun and thoses pipes you're all holding. (Trent and the others look around) I won't ask again. (Trent grudgingly throws down his gun, and the others drop their pipes)

MAX: (Terrified voice:) S-so much for being criminales, man--we're dead.

TRENT: (In a weak voice, pale:) Janey, Daria--

The source of the voice came out, and a wet, blond-haired, goateed burly-looking man came out of the darkness with a gun pointed at Trent and the others.

NICK: (Scared:) H-hey, man, d-don't shoot--I-I've got a daughter--

JESSE: (Ditto:) Y-yeah, er--me too, dude--

MAX: A-and me!

TRENT: Uhhh--I guess we can't make a deal?

MAN: (Looks at them strangely:) You all don't look like bad guys--other than the fact that you're wet and dirty--

MAX: Hey, man--speak for yourself! (Trent, Nick, and Jesse scowl at him) W-what?

TRENT: We don't wanna get this guy upset, Max--(realizes:) hey, did you say we don't look like bad guys?

MAN: That's what I said. Who are you?

TRENT: We're a band called Mystik Spiral--

MAN: (Raised eyebrows:) Mystik Spiral? A Jane Lane told us about your band on the way over here! (Trent cocks an eyebrow)

JESSE: Hey, man, you came here with Jane and Daria?

MAN: Yes--how do you know Jane and Daria?

TRENT: I'm her brother, man--we were coming from a nearby town called Leeville, when I saw her riding in your car. I got concerned, we followed your car, and came here. You work for that "Woo" guy?

MAN: (Lowers his gun:) Yes, I'm David. Gerald Woo is my employer, and I have another partner, Leroy, who is with Woo somewhere around here--alive, I hope. I was able to only come in here after I made my way through the front gate by an incredible stroke of luck.

TRENT: Yeah, we came here with Daria and Janey through the front gate, too. We made our way around some of the warehouses, and I was able to whack a guy who was leaning against the side of one of them watching the fence for some reason--(pauses:) uh--I hope he wasn't that Leroy or Woo guy--Janey and Daria said he wasn't. Jesse, Max, and Nick put him in a tool shed beside one of the warehouses--he's gonna be out for awhile.

DAVID: (Grins:) So you're the ones who kept that fellow from firing at me when I got out of that ditch! Good work, and for the record, (looks at the gun on the floor which Trent had dropped:) I can say for a fact that was not Woo or Leroy, because they didn't carry a Smith & Wesson with them in here. (Looks around, becomes alarmed:) Wait a minute--did you say your sister and Daria Morgendorrfer came in with you? Where are they now?

TRENT: (Looks down:) Uhhh--me and my sister had a little argument, and they went off on their own--I don't know where they are.

DAVID: (Scowls:) You let your sister and her best friend go to God-knows-where, and you don't know where they are!? They could be in danger!

TRENT: (Scowls back:) Chill, man! Janey and Daria can take care of themselves!

DAVID: Oh!? Do they have a gun!?

TRENT: (Looks at the gun on the floor:) Uhhh--not really--

David was about to say something else, when Leroy came out of the dark.

LEROY: (Sees David, smiles:) David, my man!

DAVID: (Smiles:) What's goin' down, Leroy?

LEROY: (Looks at Trent and the others:) I see you got some more bad guys?

DAVID: Nope--these are good guys--it's kind of a long story to get into. Where's Woo?

LEROY: He's gone after the hostages. He and I took care of some bad guys in one of the other warehouses--there were two of them. I tied them up.

DAVID: Great--and Trent and his friends here took care of another one--(Leroy looks at Trent and the others, impressed) so that makes three. Do you think there are any others?

LEROY: I don't know--let's find out.

DAVID: Right behind you--(starts to leave with Leroy)

TRENT: Hey, what about us?

DAVID: Maybe you guys should stay here--

TRENT: --C'mon, man--this is my sister and her best friend and her family we're talking about--besides, we took care of that guy that had you pinned down. (Leroy cocks an eyebrow at David) The way I figured it, you owe us!

DAVID: (After a moment, sighs:) Okay, all right! You guys came come with us--but let Leroy and I lead, okay? (Trent and the others nod) And you'll have to do exactly what we tell you to do if we encounter trouble, got that?

JESSE: It's cool, man.

LEROY: Then pick up that gun and those pipes, guys, and let's book. (Leaves with the others behind him and David into the darkness)

(Scene changes to the room where Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Sandi are--the same time as when David first meets Mystik Spiral)

Helen and Jake were resting for the moment from their struggling from the ropes while Quinn and Sandi were still going at it, so much so that both girls had fallen over onto the floor.

SANDI: Come on, Quinn--like, I can feel the ropes loosening! (Thought v.o.: This floor is sooo icky--I'll bet my dress is still cleaner than Quinn's!)

QUINN: Y-yeah, Sandi, I think they are! (Thought v.o.: Sandi's color is pickin' up a whole lot more dirt than my dress is!)

Helen nudged her head to bump Jake's.

HELEN: Come on, Jakey--rest time's over--we've got to get free--the girl's say that their ropes are slipping--I think our's are, too! (Struggles, ponders:) I wonder why no one came in here after we heard those shots?

JAKE: Don't tell me you're complaining about that, honey--I know I'm not! (Struggles while Helen glares back at him for an instant:) UHHGGH! Helen--I don't think these ropes have budged one damned inch! That masked guy must be a world-class knot-tier!

HELEN: (Sighs:) Jake we have to work with each other, not against one another! Now go in the direction I go, okay?

JAKE: A-okay, honey! (Starts rocking with Helen back and forth:) Hey, this is kinda fun! (Helen glares back at him again)

QUINN: (Red-faced:) Just-a-little-more--(ropes start to loosen) Sandi, they're comin' loose!

SANDI: (Ditto:) Quh--inn! Getting over-excited is very unfashionable--but you are correct. (Ropes start to fall off both of them:) We're like, free!

HELEN: Then help us, you two! (Quinn and Sandi go over, untie the loosened ropes off of Helen and Jake, and they get up as well)

After stretching for a moment, everyone went to the door to the room. Jake slowly put his finger to his mouth, motioning everyone to keep quiet, and then tried then doorknob. It was still locked.

JAKE: (Jiggles the knob:) Aw, crap! (Starts to get angry:) Why in the HELL DOESN'T THIS DAMN--

HELEN: JAKE! (Whispers:) Will you calm down? Those evil men may be outside the door or nearby!

QUINN: (Whines in a whispering tone:) We'll never get outta here!

SANDI: Now, Quinn--negative thinking is a Fashion Club no-no!

QUINN: Uh, sorry, Sandi--you're right. (Sandi nods curtly)

Helen was about to suggest something when the doorknob started to move from the other side. Everyone backed up from the door wide-eyed, save for Jake, who stood his ground.

JAKE: (Angry, frowns:) I'll be damned if I allow any of you to be tied up again--or shot! When this guy comes in, I'll take 'em on!

HELEN: (Alarmed:) Jakey, no!

JAKE: (Determined look, growls:) Sorry, honey, but it's either him or us!

QUINN: Daddy, be careful!

SANDI: Like, what Quinn said!

The door opened, and Jake promptly charged. He ran into a wet, burly, Asian-American man, and immediately fell back on the floor, dazed. Helen and Quinn rushed to Jake's aid, while Sandi backed against the far wall, scared out of her wits. The man spoke to them in a calming voice.

MAN: Please don't be alarmed--I don't wish you any harm--in fact, I just came here from the rear of the building to rescue you. My name's Gerald Woo.

HELEN: (Pauses, realizes:) Gerald Woo? The--the detective our son told us about? H-how did you--

WOO: (Serious tone:) --There's no time to explain Mrs. Morgendorffer--I have to get you all out of here, and--(hears a scream from the far right end:) what in the world--

HELEN: (Appalled:) That sounded like--like--Daria! (Woo rushes out, Helen and the others follow him)

(Scene changes to the present time, same warehouse with Daria, Jane, Darren and William)

Daria went at a surprised William so fast, he did not have time to point his gun and shoot her, so he did the next best thing (to him)--he used the butt of the gun he was holding, and struck Daria in the face, knocking her back onto Jane, and both fell onto the floor. William quickly regained his senses, and pointed his gun at the girls.

WILLIAM: (Wicked sneer:) Good riddance to bad rubbish, I always say--say hello to Darren in hell for me, will you?

The next few seconds went like a blur--before William could pull the trigger, Darren came running out of the dark in a rage. As William turned towards him, Darren leapt up, and kicked his uncle hard and flat in the chest with all the force he could muster, and then some. This action made William drop the gun, and it discharged when it hit the floor--hitting Darren squarely in his left shoulder, and knocking him back to the floor. A screaming William meanwhile fell through the window beside them all simultaneously, and into the black darkness of the heavy rain and wind-driven storm, hitting the water inlet. A stunned Daria and Jane jumped up off the floor, and rushed to a now-wounded Darren, who looked up weakly to his sister and girlfriend. Blood was pouring out of his shoulder. Both girls snatched off their jackets and put them on Darren, Jane's going on the top, and Daria's on the bottom, beneath Darren. Darren struggled to speak, shaking from the intense pain of his shoulder, and looking between the two.

DARREN: A-are b-both of you a-all r-right--?

DARIA: (Holds down Jane's jacket on Darren while on her knees, tries to hold back her tears:) Y-yeah, we are, b-bro--oh, God--Darren, don't--don't try to speak.

JANE: (Tears roll down her eyes, does the same:) D-Darren, D-Daria's right--don't s-say anything. P-please don't say anything.

DARREN: L-let me s-say t-this, please--I-I'm s-sorry f-for the lies, sis, Jane--

DARIA: (Now tears slowly come down from her eyes:) I-it doesn't matter, bro--just rest, okay? (Looks desperate:) J-Jane, we-we gotta get some help!

JANE: (Sobs, gets up, screams:) SOMEBODY HELP US, DAMN IT! IS ANYBODY HERE!?

Gerald Woo ran out of the darkness, and was stunned by the sight in front of him for a moment, then he reached into his jacket, and pulled out his cell phone. He fervently dialed 911.

WOO: Hello? 911? We need an ambulance, damn it! We have a person that's been shot at the--(looks at Jane again, turns the phone to her)

JANE: (Frantic:) THE CARTER COUNTY BAY WAREHOUSE DISTRICT!!

WOO: Did you get that?! (Pauses:) Good--bring the police as well! We'll have someone out there waiting for you to show you where the injured man is! (Clicks off his phone)

Helen, Jake, and the others started to come out of the darkness, having heard Jane's screams. Helen took the lead, fearing something had happened to Daria--what she saw in front of her was just as horrible, the same for Jake and Quinn--and even for Sandi.

HELEN: (Screams, sobs:) DARREN!! (Rushes up)

JAKE: (Ditto:) SON! (Rushes up)

QUINN: (Screams, sobs:) BRO!! (Rushes up)

SANDI: (Stunned:) D-DARREN?! (Is about to rush forward, but sees that everyone else has done so, quietly comes up behind the others, secretly horrified)

Jane suddenly stepped in front of the Morgendorffers, furious. Helen, Jake, and Quinn looked at her as if she had lost her mind. Before Helen could say anything, Jane cut her off.

JANE: Mrs. Morgendorffer, Darren needs air! If you all rush up to him like this, it could cut it off! You gotta give him room to breathe! (Leans over to them, tries to overcome her fear, whispers:) T-The last thing Darren needs is to see you all like this--it could make his i-injury worse. Bad enough that I screamed myself.

Helen held back her fury at Jane, and softened her face, the same for Jake and Quinn--through their red haze, they somehow knew that Jane was right--even Jake. Helen went first, stooping beside a silently sobbing Daria, who was still holding Jane's jacket over Darren's wound.

HELEN: (Tears up, in a soft tone:) S-son, oh dear Lord--Darren--(caressess his face gently while Darren simply mouths to her "I'm sorry") it'll be all right, son--the ambulance is on it's way--just don't move or say anything, okay, sweetie? (Darren smiles weakly)

Jake then came over beside Helen and stooped down as well, putting his hand gently on his son's chest. He struggled to speak, trying not to cry.

JAKE: E-Easy, Big Guy--(smiles weakly, quiet tone:) d-do what you mom says, okay? (Darren mouths "okay" to Jake)

Quinn suddenly brushed between her parents, got down on her knees on Darren's right side, bent over, and laid her head on Darren's chest, trying to hold back her sobs.

QUINN: (Whispers:) P-Please d-don't die, Darren--please don't--don't--die. (Begins to sob gently into his chest, and Darren weakly places his right hand on Quinn's hair, gently rubs it)

As Sandi watched everyone gathered around Darren quietly, her tears started to flow, and she privately started to shed her own tears.

SANDI: (Thought v.o.: Oh, Darren--like, you can't die--you--just--can't!)

The next instant, there was a sound of a door opening nearby (the same door Daria and Jane had come through), and Woo pulled out his gun, slowly going up to the source of the noise. The Morgendorffer women covered Darren, while a determined Jane, and even Sandi, stepped in front of them--there was no way anyone was going to come in here to do something now--woe to whoever did.

WOO: (Glances behind:) Stay here, I'm going to--

VOICE IN THE DARK: Woo, is that you?

WOO: (Lowers his gun a bit:) David?

David, followed by Leroy, and the members of Mystik Spiral, came out of the dark. Trent saw Jane, and ran up to her, relieved, hugging her.

DAVID: (Smiles:) Yeah, it's us, Woo.

LEROY: (Ditto:) We're all okay--we've checked through all of the other warehouses but this one--besides our two guys, (motions over to Trent:) this "Trent" guy and his friends got another one stored in a tool shed.

TRENT: Janey! Oh man--I'm glad you're all right--and the Morgendorffers as well! (Looks at Sandi:) Oh, and uh, you too. (Sandi looks at Trent stoically)

JANE: (Quietly:) I'm glad you're okay, too, Trent--(looks back towards Darren and the others:) but not all of us are all right.

Trent and the other band members, along with David and Leroy, looked past Jane and saw Darren lying on the floor in a small pool of blood, ringed by the Morgendorffers.

TRENT: (Stunned along with the others:) D-Darren? Geez, what happened, Janey?

JANE: (Tries to control her emotions:) T-That ass, William Appleton, was about to shoot me and Daria, when Darren came out of the dark, and kicked him out of the window. (Sobs:) When that bastard dropped his gun, it went off, and hit Darren in the shoulder. (Begins to cry into Trent's shoulder)

Woo came over to the stunned David and Leroy.

WOO: (Authoritative tone of voice:) Okay, you two--(looks over at Jesse, Nick and Max, as well:) come out of those stun modes, or whatever they are, and move it! David, you and Leroy go out front and direct the ambulance and the police to where Darren is! (David and Leroy immediately do so) As for you fellows, find something to cover that hole in the window--the rain is starting to come in here! (Jesse, Max, and Nick start looking through the warehouse for something)

JAKE: (Comes up:) Uh, Mr. Woo--?

WOO: (Smiles politely:) Just Woo, please, Mr. Morgendorffer--

JAKE: (Returns the smile:) Well, you can just call me Jake, then--over our objections that he talk, my son just told us they're two other men in this warehouse on the other side! (Beams proudly:) Darren said he took care of 'em!

WOO: (Raises his eyebrows, surprised:) Really? Well, I'll check them out, then--be right back. (Leaves, while Jake goes back to his family)

Daria silently and sadly looked down on her brother while pressing Jane's jacket onto his left shoulder, trying to coagulate the flow of his blood from his body. Her tears still flowed in a slow trickle down her face. Darren looked up at her, and smiled weakly, trying to reassure her, though personally, he was scared as well. Daria gave her small Mona Lisa smile back to him in return. Quinn, on the right side, stayed on her knees, and held his right hand, trying to stay brave. Jane and Trent came up, and watched the scene, with Jane crying quietly into her brother's shoulder, and leaning her head on his chest. Helen was doing the same to Jake.

Sandi swallowed hard, and came up slowly, looking down at Darren, scared, trying to hold back her emotions. Darren caught her look--she really does like me--maybe she's finally trying to become a decent person. Quinn and Daria looked up at Sandi, and Quinn motioned for Sandi to come down beside her. Sandi was taken aback for a moment by Quinn's invitation, then she reluctantly got down on her knees beside Quinn. Darren smiled at her quietly, then began to speak--Daria and Quinn were trying to keep him from speaking, but he weakly put up his right hand to cut off their protests.

DARREN: J-Just one more time, you two--I have to say this to Sandi, okay? (Daria and Quinn nod reluctantly) I-I'm sorry you got dragged into this, too, Sandi--

SANDI: (Now sheds tears in a proud manner, gently puts her index finger on Darren's mouth, in a soft tone of voice:) --Shhh--like, don't say anything more, Darren--you just rest, o-okay? (Darren smiles weakly)

Sandi then looked up at Jane, and motioned her to come down beside Darren, to which a slightly surprised Jane did. After Jane got down beside them, Sandi put Darren's hand on Jane's. Daria, Quinn, and especially Jane were shocked by this act from Sandi (though Darren did not seem to be), who then slowly raised herself up in a dignified manner, brushing her skirt off, and went over beside Helen and Jake.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Well, who would've thunk it--Sandi does have a conscience--she is human.)

SANDI: (In a low voice to both:) Like, Jane's place is beside her boyfriend, don't you think? (Helen and Jake look at Sandi, confused, but saying nothing)

It would take the ambulance and the police an agonizing 15 minutes to show up, thanks to the rain, which was finally starting to recede. David and Leroy, along with Woo, directed the paramedics to Darren, while the police arrested Benny, Norwood, Oscar, Ernie, and Bert, charging them with kidnapping, attempted murder, and "anything else they could find". Woo and his men stayed behind to talk to the police, saying they'd come right after to the hospital, while Helen and Jake went with their son in the ambulance, and Daria, Jane, Quinn, and Sandi took the Morgendorffer's blue Lexus and followed in silence, promising later to give statements to the police as well. Trent, Jesse, Max, and Nick stayed behind to give their statements, and would come to the hospital afterwards like Woo and his men. Helen called on her cell phone she took from the Lexus to her mother and mother-in-law, giving them the gist of what happened in the warehouses, and asked her mother to call Amy and Rita (and it would be assumed that Erin and Brian would tag along as well). Needless to say, both mothers were beside themselves and declared they'd be at the Cedars of Lawndale hospital within a matter of hours.

In the meantime, the police and Coast Guard had searched the inlet for William Appleton's body--not being able to find it. The assumption was that Darren's kick had knocked William out, and William had hit the water and drowned, and he was washed out to the ocean.

It's been said that while good news travels fast, bad news travels even faster, and this bad news had traveled so fast, that when the ambulance had arrived at the hospital by the emergency entrance, the media and a large crowd were waiting for it. As Darren was taken out of the ambulance on a stretcher, news cameras began to roll, and pictures began to flash. Several reporters tried to come up shouting questions to a thoroughly confused and angry Helen and Jake, but hospital security began to hold them back. The blue Lexus pulled into the hospital's parking lot nearby. Daria and Jane frowned at the sight while they got out with Quinn and Sandi, and went into the emergency room past the throng of reporters and crowd.

DARIA: (Bitter sarcasm:) Those damn vultures--they already know who Darren really is, Jane.

JANE: (Ditto, narrows eyes:) Yeah--the bastards didn't waste any time, did they?

QUINN: (Puzzled with Sandi:) Huh? Daria, what're you talkin' about? What do you mean "who Darren really is"? Why are all those reporters and people out there an' stuff?

SANDI: Yeah, like, what's going on?

DARIA: (Sighs:) Well, you're gonna find out anyway, but let's hold off until later, okay? Right now, our first concern should be Darren.

As the girls went into the waiting room, one of several on the first floor, they found that the Griffins were already there, with Linda and Tom sitting in the chairs, and Sam and Chris wrestling on the floor. When Linda saw her daughter, she leapt off her chair, ran over to her, and hugged a surprised Sandi fiercely. Tom Griffin got up and reluctantly patted his daughter on the back in a reassuring manner. Sam and Chris looked at their sister, shrugged, and resumed wrestling.

LINDA: (Distraught:) Oh, Sandi! Are you all right?

SANDI: Motherrrr, like how did you know I was here? I was gonna call you!

LINDA: (Raised eyebrows:) You mean, no one's told you yet? Your boyfriend is Arthur Appleton Jr., the mysterious multibillionare bachelor! (Jane frowns at Linda's "boyfriend" statement, perplexed, while Daria rolls her eyes, and begins to frown)

QUINN: (Stunned:) WHAT? My bro's who?

LINDA: (Snorts:) You didn't know about your brother, Quinn, Daria? (Pauses:) What kind of bad mother wouldn't tell her daughters that her son is--

Daria exploded in a rage, walking right up into a shocked Linda Griffin's face.

DARIA: EXCUSE ME, Mrs. Griffin, but my brother is fighting for his life right about now, and you're worried about something as stupid as about how much money he has?! Don't you think we ought to worry about whether or not that he'll live!? (Pauses:) I don't know about you, but I don't give a damn about how much money Darren has--(looks at Quinn:) and I don't think anyone else should, either! (Leaves the waiting room in a huff, while Tom Griffin secretly smirks)

The waiting room was full of stunned silence for a moment, then Jane spoke up.

JANE: Uh, Daria's having a bad night--like we all have had, you understand. I'll go and find her--excuse me. (Leaves)

QUINN: (Scowls a little at Mrs. Griffin:) Um, I'm gonna go and find my parents, Sandi--see you later. (Leaves)

LINDA: (Begins to frown:) What in the hell was all THAT about?! How dare--

SANDI: (Cuts her mother off, frowns:) Mother! Like, that was sooo not right! (Frowns:) An' for th' record an' stuff, I'm not Darren's girlfriend--(pauses:) that girl Jane is! (Linda looks at Sandi, stunned)

Daria went to the end of the building, an encased glass area of couches and chairs, and slammed herself into a couch. At last, blessed silence. Several minutes (or far more, she couldn't tell for sure) had past while she looked out into the now-late cloud-clearing nighttime sky, thinking. The secret of who Darren was was officially out now, but so what? Why in the hell did it matter about how much money he had to people so much? To Daria (and she suspected mostly to Quinn), Darren was the long-thought-of-dead big brother, nothing more, nothing less, and to Jane, a boyfriend--period.

Now, he was a brother who was fighting for his life, a life she had only shared with him for about a month. Possibly one month to have gotten to know him, possibly only one minute to lose him. She looked down and shut her eyes in pain, determined not to cry anymore tonight--it was bad enough she had let loose at those damn warehouses--that short little outburst at Linda Griffin, while feeling good at the outset, did not alleviate her private turmoil. If Darren dies--

Daria shook her head quickly, and blasted that thought out of her mind. Hell no--don't think like that, Daria--he's not gonna die. She found herself shivering without her jacket that she had used to stop her brother's blood, putting her arms around herself, privately wondering if it was the cold air of the air conditioning system, or out of her festering fury from lowering the boom on Mrs, Griffin. At that moment, she felt a presence behind her. Daria was not in the mood--if it was anyone outside of her family or Jane and Trent, they were going to get another dose of her ass. She turned around, frowning.

Tom was standing there with his jacket in his arms.

DARIA: (Surprised:) Tom? Where'd you come from?

TOM: (Smirks:) I'd say I dematerialized out of nowhere, but I'll just say from out in the hallway. (Daria smirks) I happened to see you in here. I was about to leave you alone and find out how Jane was doing--(pauses:) but then I saw you without your trademark green jacket, and you looked like you were cold, so I came in here to offer you the use of mine.

DARIA: (Weak smile:) Still think that's a "second cape", I see. (Shrugs, sighs:) Ah, why the hell not? Sure, thanks. (Tom puts his jacket on Daria's shoulders, sits down beside her on the couch) I guess you heard about the news, too, huh?

(Note to reader: The "second cape" reference comes from the episode "I Loathe A Parade")

TOM: Yes--I couldn't help but to hear about it. It was on the local TV and radio stations--there are already national, and I've heard international news organizations are converging on our proud little community.

DARIA: (Snorts:) What Ms. Li wouldn't give to get that sort of attention for her Laaaawndale High.

TOM: (Grows serious:) How's Darren?

DARIA: (Looks away:) He--he was turning pale when they put him in the ambulance, Tom--I'm no expert, but I think he had lost a lot of blood. Jane and I had used our jackets to keep him from bleeding as best as we could, but--it might not still be enough.

TOM: (Quietly:) Daria--Darren strikes me a being a strong guy, not just physically, but mentally as well--he doesn't want to leave a family that he's just found. Don't give up--he's going to need your strength like he needs everyone else's.

DARIA: (Looking tired:) That's my problem, Tom--I-I don't know if I have any strength left.

Tom hesitated for a moment, then slowly put his hand on Daria's, offering support. Daria grew wide-eyed for a moment, then relaxed, slightly red-faced.

TOM: Then I'll offer my strength for the both of us. (Offers a quiet smile)

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: He's just gotten over Jane, and that's it, nothing more--remember that, Daria--he was being nice to you in that damn homecoming parade--so why in the hell am I getting that same feeling I had about Trent? Why do I feel guilty?) Um, er, thanks, Tom.

TOM: You're welcome, Daria--(pauses:) uh, are you hungary? I could get you something from the hospital cafeteria--(smirks:) the food there is a little more edible than what they serve in the hospital rooms.

DARIA: (Smirks back:) That's because the hospital room food is the actually the leftover food from the cafeteria. (Thought v.o.: An excuse--get rid of Tom--now) Yeah, now when I think about it, running around in the rain and surviving being shot has given me an appetite.

TOM: (Gets up:) Okay--anything in particular?

DARIA: As long as it doesn't move on it's own, anything.

TOM: Gotcha--see you in a few. (Leaves)

Daria watched Tom leave, and breathed a long sigh of relief after a minute. She was about to sit down, when Jane showed up behind her.

JANE: Hey, there you are! I've been looking all over for you for an hour! (Daria jumps) Whoa, sorry!

DARIA: An hour? I've been gone for that long? (Pauses:) Uh, how long have you been there?

JANE: I just came in--I've been looking for you since you laid it on Sandi Griffin's mommy.

DARIA: (Frowns:) I don't feel bad about that, if that's what you think.

JANE: And you shouldn't, amiga. She had it coming big time. (Pauses:) I just ran into Tom in the hallway, and he told me you were in here while on his way to the "barfeteria".

DARIA: Um, yeah--he came in to see how I was doing.

JANE: (Smirks:) And he offered you his jacket, and is buying you food--how sweet.

DARIA: (Off-guard a bit, frowns:) What's that supposed to mean?

JANE: (Taken aback:) Huh? What do you mean? I was just saying that Tom could be sweet at times--just like Darren, that's all. He offered to buy me something to eat, but I wasn't hungary.

DARIA: (Sighs:) Sorry to snap at you like that, Jane--I'm just worried about Darren.

JANE: (Quietly:) Just as I am, amiga--it's okay.

Just then, the hospital intercom came on.

INTERCOM: Would Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Daria Morgendorffer and a Jane Lane come to the critical care ward, please? Would Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Daria Morgendorffer and a Jane Lane come to the the critical care ward, please? (Daria and Jane look at each other, turn pale)

(Scene changes to another waiting room, near the critical care ward, a minute earlier)

After leaving Sandi, Quinn had found her parents, and had sat with them for a little more than an hour while awaiting the results of the surgery in silence, saying nothing about the shocking revelation of who her brother really was to them--it didn't seem right to do so, especially after seeing how Sandi's mother had gone on about it--to Quinn, in a rather insensitive way. She waited to see if her mother or father would bring up Darren's real identity--who was it again--"Arthur Apple", or something--but apparently her parents had either not known yet about who Darren really was, or did not care at the moment given Darren's condition--and who could blame them? As for Quinn, she thought to herself about Darren. Why would he pretend he was someone else? Her suspicions were confirmed--Darren had money--lots of it by all accounts--and he was a billionaire! Quinn perked up for the briefest of moments when she thought about how much he had, then frowned to herself--what good would it do to think about something as stupid as money at this point? Her brother was fighting for his life, and she was wondering about his wealth? Quinn berated herself for thinking like Mrs. Griffin. She suddenly then considered Daria's reaction to Mrs. Griffin, and what Daria had said to Quinn herself--"and I don't think anyone else should, either!" What did her sister mean by that remark? She pondered about that silently to herself, frowning.

Helen and Jake had talked to Dr. Phillips and several specialists about Darren while Darren was being operated on, and had offered to give their own blood. Dr. Phillips had said that it was not necessary, and that the hospital had Darren's blood type (A), and that Dr. Phillips would let them know as soon as possible about their son's condition in the critical care ward. Both had quietly went back into the waiting room, where they had seen Quinn sitting, but not Daria or Jane. Helen had considered both girls getting called over the intercom (she eventually asked for the staff to call Daria and Jane by it if they weren't around by the time an announcement was made over Darren's condition by Dr. Phillips), but decided that both probably wanted to deal with what had happened in their own ways--especially Daria. Helen was worried over how her middle daughter was taking this, after seeing her brother in such a state firsthand. At least Quinn was here--Helen could keep an eye out on her. Helen then looked over at Jake, who was looking off into space, and gently rubbed his back. He smiled and returned the favor by holding Helen close to him. They had found their son alive--now, they were close to losing him, all because of some--some--kidnapping over--some--money? Is that what that masked bastard had said? Helen remembered the throng of people and reporters that had greeted them when they came up--like a pack of jackels. Why in the hell would they come up like that? Granted, it was a news event of some sort, but to command so much attention? Something doesn't seem quite right here. Helen looked over to her youngest daughter, who seemed deep in thought--probably wondering if her brother was going to live. Helen spoke to her in a quiet tone.

(Note to reader: Dr. Phillips was seen in the episode "Ill")

HELEN: Quinn, how are you doing, sweetie?

QUINN: (Sighs:) I'm--okay, Mom.

HELEN: Well, that's good. (Pauses, sighs:) I wonder how Daria and Jane are doing?

QUINN: Well, Jane went after Daria, so they probably are together to keep each other company, an' stuff.

JAKE: (Looks off again, sad tone:) Yeah. (Helen holds him next to her)

The hospital intercom suddenly came on.

INTERCOM: Would Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Daria Morgendorffer and a Jane Lane come to the critical care ward, please? Would Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Daria Morgendorffer and a Jane Lane come to the critical care ward, please?

It didn't take but a minute for Helen, Jake, and Quinn to rush over into the critical care ward where Dr. Phillips was waiting for them--he seemed to have a neutral look on his face. Jake was about to ask him Darren's condition, but Helen cut him off, wanting to wait for Daria and Jane, who came in a few minutes later. Daria had a strained look on her face, while Jane shut her eyes, and cringed as she waited for the news. Quinn looked about ready to cry, while Helen and Jake held each other, looking at the doctor with expectant looks on their faces. Dr. Phillips began.

DR. PHILLIPS: (Begins to smile:) He'll be fine. (Everyone breaks out in a delighted cry, even Daria gives her patented Mona Lisa smile, closes her eyes in relief) We we able to stop the bleeding and get blood back into him. Fortunately, the bullet went all the way through, and did not lodge into Darren's shoulder muscle, or any bone, for that matter. As a result, the wound was smooth, and we were able to deal with the damage to his shoulder muscle. It was good, however, that you did stop the bleeding, or it would've been far worse.

HELEN: (Cries out of joy, hugs an equally happy Jake:) Oh, thank God! When can we see our son?

DR. PHILLIPS: He was just wheeled out of surgery, Mrs. Morgendorffer--I think you all should go home and get some rest--he won't be awake until the morning.

HELEN: (So happy, she hugs Dr. Phillips:) Oh, thank you, Dr. Phillips! (Jake shakes his hand)

DR. PHILLIPS: (Happy himself:) It was my pleasure, Mr. and Mrs. Morgendorffer. We'll see you all tomorrow morning.

JAKE: (Estatic:) Well be here bright 'n early, Doc! (Gives thumbs up:) C'mon, gang--let's go home and rest--'course, I'm gonna be so excited, I might not be able to! (Leaves with everyone into the hospital lobby)

Jane closed her eyes, and gave a large sigh, then broke out into an larger grin. She was about to say something when Trent, Jesse, Nick, Max, and Woo and his men came into the hospital.

JANE: Trent! (Runs over to hug him:) They say Darren's gonna be okay! (Voice grows quieter:) But we won't be able to see him until tomorrow morning.

TRENT: (Grins:) Oh, man, that's great, Janey! (Frowns:) We didn't think the cops were ever gonna let us go with all their questions, then we waited for Woo and his men to finish being drilled so they could follow us here, not knowing where the hospital was, and when we got here, there was a lot of media and people outside--we had to be escorted in--(smirks:) kinda cool. Don't worry, sis--we'll be back here first thing in the morning.

WOO: As will we. Do you all know where a good hotel or motel are in the area where me and my men could stay for the night?

TRENT: Try the Stopover Motel, man--take highway seven south beside the hospital, and you'll be there in no time.

WOO: Thank you. (Starts to leave with his men)

Daria and Jane stepped up. Helen, Jake, and Quinn watched on the side with the others.

DARIA: (Small, uncomfortable smile:) Um, before you leave--Jane and I want to thank you for being there and helping out.

JANE: Yeah--if it wasn't for you guys--

WOO: (Smiles:) --You're welcome, and it was our job, Jane--(pauses:) we--I owed him. (Leroy and David look at each other knowingly, while leaving with Woo, and Daria and Jane look at each other and the others, perplexed for a moment)

Daria and the others watched Woo and his men leave through the lobby and outside, where they were swarmed by a crowd of people. Helen and Jake looked at each other, baffled, then Helen looked at Daria, frowning, and confused with Jake for a moment, then spoke.

HELEN: Daria, do you know what's going on with that large crowd of people in front of the hospital? Why are there so many damn media types outside, and why in the hell did they come up to us when we got out of the ambulance with Darren? We didn't hear their questions too well, and Jake and I have been wondering what all of this is about!

JAKE: Yeah--(grins:) is it because they heard of the Jake Morgendorffer Consulting Agency? (Helen and Quinn roll their eyes, while Daria and Jane smirk, and Trent and Mystik Spiral look at each other strangely--Jake then pauses, realizes something:) Hey, Kiddo--who's jacket are you wearing?

Daria's face turned red for the briefest of instances, something Jane picked up on, and smirked briefly--her "Partner In Crime" was blushing. Tom's kindness must've embarassed Daria once again--similar to that time after the homecoming parade.

DARIA: Um, never mind that now, Dad--I know why those idiots were out there, and--

Tom walked in the lobby with a bag of food, interrupting Daria, and the Griffins came behind him a second later into the lobby, and stopped with him with everyone else.

TOM: --There you are, Daria. I went to the critical care ward from the cafeteria when I heard you and Jane were called, but you were gone, and I thought I might have missed you--here you go. (Hands her the bag:) It's a couple of cheeseburgers--I figured your family might've wanted something to eat as well.

DARIA: (Red-faced again:) Um, thanks, Tom--how much--

TOM: (Holds his hand up:) It's okay, Daria--with everything you and your family have gone through tonight--it's on the house. (Pauses:) So, how's Darren Appleton? Is he going to be all right?

DARIA: (Along with Jane looks over at her parents, who frown, confused:) Uh, Tom, he's gonna be okay, but he needs his rest--we'll be back here tomorrow morning to see him.

TOM: (Smiles:) Great! Well, I'm going to go on--Daria, you can keep my jacket--I'll pick it up sometime tomorrow or Monday (Daria turns red yet again, and Jane smirks yet again)--see you all--goodnight. (Leaves through a side door to get away from the crowd outside)

HELEN: Goodnight, Tom, and thank you again! Did he say Darren "Appleton"? That can't be right, Daria--Darren's last name is Coverton.

LINDA: (Steps in, gives a quick glare at Daria, who returns it:) Don't tell me you didn't know, Helen? Your son is the multi-billionaire Arthur Appleton, Jr.! It's all over the airwaves! (Helen and Jake look stunned along with Trent and Mystik Spiral) Sandi here claims that a "Jane Lane" is Darren's boyfriend for some reason, but Sandi is the real girlfriend of your son!

SANDI: But Motherrr--(Quinn looks uncomfortable, slowly tries to slip off unoticed, but Daria sees her and smirks, saying nothing--it's all going to hit the fan.)

JANE: (Cuts her off, angry:) --Hey! Darren is my boyfriend--your daughter's right--where in the hell did you get the idea that Sandi Griffin is Darren's girlfriend? Okay, so I let him go with Sandi last night on that damn "date" with your daughter, (Helen looks surprised with Jake) but Daria and I were watching Darren and Sandi every step of the way! (Now Helen and Jake look at a red-faced Daria and frown)

DARIA: (Thought v.o., sighs: Now it looks like what has hit the fan is gonna be spread out on me.)

LINDA: (Glares:) "Let"? Now see here, "Jane", is it? My Sandi likes Darren, or Arthur--(Sandi turns red) and she told me though it was part of a deal to keep Quinn in the Fashion Club, that she had developed feelings for him, (Sandi turns even redder, embarassed) and that those feelings were real! Even when Sandi ran into Quinn at that Haven place last night, it didn't ruin the date!

HELEN: WHAT!? Quinn was at Stacy's last night for a slumber party! (Looks around, then sees Quinn ready to sneak out of the side door:) QUINN! (Quinn winces, slowly turns around, then shuffles back to the group) Is this true? Your father and I thought you were at Stacy's last night!

QUINN: (Whines:) But, muh--oom, I was just, um--

HELEN: --We'll speak about this later, young lady!

JAKE: ("Back-up":) Yeah, later! (Quinn rolls her eyes)

LINDA: (Sneers:) Can't keep them under control, eh, Helen? Well, I guess we'll all talk later--good bye--(glares at Jane:) Sandi can talk to her boyfriend then. (Leaves with her family, and Jane scowls after them, Trent puts his hand on her shoulder to calm her down)

SANDI: (While leaving:) Um, sorry, Quinn, Jane--

JANE: (Mutters:) That arrogant witch! Now I know where Sandi got it from!

TRENT: Easy, Janey--(realizes:) um, is that why you guys couldn't come to our gig at McGrundy's last night? You had to watch Darren take this "Sandi" girl out on a date with Daria?

JANE: (Sighs:) Well, uh--it's a long story, Trent--I'll tell you on the way home. We'll see you guys tomorrow morning, okay? (Leaves with Trent and the members of Mystik Spiral)

DARIA: Okay, see you then.

HELEN: (Scowls, hands on hips:) Daria, why did you tell us that you were dating a "Martin" fellow when you were really with Jane and Quinn watching Darren date Sandi?

JAKE: ("Back up":) Yeah, why? (Helen glares at Jake)

DARIA: (Pauses, deadpan:) Do you know how weird that just sounded, Mom? (Sighs:) Look, can we talk about this later? You wanted to know about Darren, remember? I'll tell you about it on our way home, okay?

HELEN: (After a moment:) Well, all right, and I'll call your grandmas and aunts on the way, and let them sleep over at our house tonight, and then we'll all come here tomorrow morning to see Darren.

The Morgendorffers left the hospital, and ran into a huge crowd of cameras, reporters, and questions, ignoring them all, and had to be escorted to the Lexus, then off the parking lot by the police. On the way, after Helen had called their relatives, finding out that they found a hotel to stay at instead of sleeping over--(much to Daria's secret delight, save of course for her aunt Amy) Daria, while eating the cheeseburgers Tom had given her, explained why Darren had done what he had done, according to what Woo told her. Helen, Jake, and now Quinn were stunned beyond belief. Darren had tried to protect them from the murderers of his adopted parents--taking all of the burden for himself, and of the plane crash "accident". They barely had time to react to this news when they were greeted at their home by another large crowd of reporters and cameras in and around their yard and driveway. Jake was about to lose it, when the police yet again had to escort the Morgendorffers into their own home. Quinn had been tempted to try and get the attention, but a quick glare from Helen took care of that. The police offered to keep everyone off the Morgendorffer's lawn for the night, and Helen and Jake gratefully accepted the offer.

When the Morgendorffers got inside, the phone answering machine was bursting with messages, and out of curiousity, Jake turned it on, hearing interview and investment offers from a variety of sources thanks to their knowing Darren--he was considering some of them, when Helen screamed at him to stop it, and took out the batteries from all the cell phones in the house--there had been enough calls for tonight--to Daria, in of itself an ironic thing to happen concerning her mother. There was a message for Daria from Kevin, who asked if Darren would "give up" his "invisibility secret" that Kevin believed had made Darren rich. Daria shook her head slowly at this, and went upstairs with Quinn--the time was 2:00 a.m.. She stopped at Darren's room when she heard the cell phone in there ring. After pausing for a moment, Daria went in, and answered it.

DARIA: Um, hello?

VOICE: (Frantic:) Oh thank God someone finally answered! (Pauses:) W-who is this?

DARIA: This is Daria Morgendorffer, a tired teen-ager. Who is this?

VOICE: (Surprised:) Darren's sister? This is Millie Appleton, Darren's aunt! I'm calling from a private jet at 40,000 feet about my nephew's condition! I just tried to call your hospital, but the lines were jammed! I-Is Darren--

DARIA: (Now more alert, gently cuts her off:) It's okay, Ms. Cov--Appleton--your nephew's gonna be okay--he came out of surgery with flying colors.

MILLIE: (Sobs:) Thank God! I'm on my way there, and I'll arrive in this "Lawndale" by 7:00 a.m. Sunday, your time--and please call me Millie, okay? I'm going to call Darren's friend Curtis, and tell him the wonderful news, and the staff at the mansion! (Pauses:) I haven't reached his uncle yet, but I'm still trying to contact him at his apartment--

DARIA: (Turns pale:) Uh, excuse me, but you didn't hear about, um--

MILLIE: Hear about what, Daria? I was flying on my way home when my pilot told me of hearing something about a report that my nephew had been shot, but we were cut off before the entire report could be broadcast--something my pilot called "magnetic sunspot interference" up here that disrupted our radio and TV broadcasts, even my laptop computor. We just got it back--the phone part, that is. (Gets excited:) I'm sure William will be delighted that Darren's all right, Daria!

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: I seriously doubt that.) Uh--Millie, about your brother, um--

MILLIE: --Yes, dear?

DARIA: (Bites her lip:) --Maybe--maybe he's already heard that Darren's okay, and is asleep. Perhaps you should wait until you've seen Darren before you talk to him, and for that matter, your uh, "staff" at the um, "mansion"? They're probably asleep as well, having haerd the good news as well, the same for Darren's friend Curtis. In fact, maybe you should get some sleep like I'm gonna do.

MILLIE: Oh, I'm sorry, dear--do-do you know what happened? Was it an accident, or something? Did anyone else get hurt?

DARIA: Uhh--something like that, and uh, I can say of a certainty that no one else was hurt (Thought v.o.: But died instead). (Yawns for real:) Uh, if you don't mind, Millie, I'm gonna get that sleep. I'll see you at the hospital tomorrow morning, okay?

MILLIE: Of course, Daria--and you're right--I need my sleep if I'm going to see my nephew. William will probably be there at the airport to meet me, anyway. It was nice talking to you--goodnight.

DARIA: Goodnight--see you then. (Clicks off Darren's phone, and out of insurance, decides to take out the batteries in his phone to keep others from calling, following Helen's lead) (Thought v.o.: Best if Darren tells her tomorrow than if she finds out from anyone else.) (Goes into her room, changes into her "Mark Twain" pullover pajamas--considers writing about the days events in her "so-called" diary, and decides not to--at least for now, turns off light, goes to bed)

The following morning, after an surprisingly uneventful sleep, Helen was told by her mother Evelyn and mother-in-law Ruth that they'd be waiting at the hospital for them with Amy, Rita, Erin, and Brian. Jane had also called, telling Daria the same thing. Daria had also told her family of Millie's phone call last night, which made Helen and Jake turn pale over what she'd hear from her nephew over this. After everyone had cleaned up and had gotten ready, they went out, and were promptly greeted by another throng of reporters and cameras while being escorted by the police to their car, this time the SUV. PO'd, Daria had been seriously considering giving the press the "bird", but decided to go with her better judgement--these people weren't worth it.

Once again, the crowd was huge at the Cedars of Lawndale hospital as the Morgendorffers got out of their car, and the police and hospital security had to slip them in. When they got into the lobby, their relatives were there along with Jane and Trent, Woo and his men, and Millie Appleton, a red-haired, attractive woman, who had explained that she had just gotten in only minutes before the Morgendorffers, slipping in unobserved. Daria sighed to herself in relief--Darren could break the news to her himself. Then, an argument broke out over who should see Darren first outside his immediate family among Evelyn and Ruth--an angry Amy intervened and said that both grandmothers could go in after the family. Daria asked if Millie could go in first, and Helen and Jake, after hearing what Daria had said this morning about her call, quickly agreed, much to the shock of both grandmothers, whom Helen pulled to the side privately to explain why.

Darren had been awoke from his sleep for about an hour, and he looked over at his left shoulder--it was badaged heavily, and in pain. Dr. Phillips had talked to him about his injury, and said that he would not be able to use the shoulder for at least three weeks--no weights--he sighed to himself--at least he was alive, and he couldn't complain about that.

But alive unto what? Darren was informed by Dr. Phillips and the TV about what happened last night--it had been like some sort of dull nightmare. Darren laid back unto his pillow, thinking--the secret was out--he had lied to his birth family and everyone around here, even if it was to protect them. Would they forgive him? He noticed that the door to his room began to open, and Millie came in. He gave a wide grin when he saw her, which she more than returned in kind.

MILLIE: (Begins to cry:) Darren! (Rushes over, gingerly hugs him:) Thank God you're okay! How-how are you doing?

DARREN: I'm tired, of course, and my shoulder hurts, though the pain-killers the doctors have prescribed to me have done the trick in numbing the pain. Say, I'm kind of surprised that my birth family let you in first, not that I'm complaining, mind you.

MILLIE: I think they considered my travel here when I heard what happened to you, and gave me a wide lattitude in seeing you. (Grows quiet:) How-how did you get like this, Darren?

DARREN: (Turns pale:) You mean--you mean, you don't know? I thought for sure--

MILLIE: (Waves him off, smirks:) --It's quite an interesting story, nephew, involving sunspots--remind me to tell you later. (Grows serious:) Now, how did you get like this? (Frowns, perplexed:) And for that matter, where is your uncle William? He should've been here right about now!

Darren grimaced, and looked down, then back up at his aunt, looking distraught. Millie cocked her head at him inquisitively, caressing his face.

DARREN: (Gathers the courage to speak:) Aunt Millie, there's something I have to tell you about what happened--and it involves uncle Will--and what happened with my parent's crash--

Daria, Helen, Jake, and Quinn were down the hallway from Darren's room, waiting next to see him while sitting in some chairs. Helen, sitting beside Daria, leaned over and spoke to her in a quiet tone of voice.

HELEN: Sweetie, do you think we did the right thing in doing this? Perhaps we should've told Millie ourselves.

DARIA: No, Mom--I think Darren would probably want to tell her himself--it's gonna be a huge shock to her to have lost another brother, and even worse, hearing that her nephew had to do the deed to protect us--

The next instant, there was a wild, sobbing scream from Darren's room, a scream that resonated throughout the hallway. Quinn grabbed her father, scared, while Helen, out of a sense of caring, got up, and went into Darren's room to help console the now-grieving Millie Appleton, along with several orderlies. Daria watched, seemingly impassive on the outside, but sadly on the inside. Death itself is never a pleasant experience, but having someone you love carry out the act is even more of a tragedy. Damn it, bro--haven't you been through enough already?

After several minutes, Millie had been taken to another room, under sedation, with the orderlies assuring Darren that she'd be all right. The Morgendorffers came into the room, and after the customary hugs and kisses, Darren reluctantly spoke.

DARREN: (Quiet tone:) Please don't interrupt me until I'm finished, okay? I'm sorry for all of the lies. I should have just told you all who I was the first time you all met me. You might've thought I didn't tell you out of protecting you, but that wasn't the case at first. I didn't tell you because like an idiot, I followed my uncle's advice, and deliberately hid my past, only pausing enough to give you all half-truths, and half-lies. You took me immediately into your home with no questions asked, which alone should have told me of your decency and honesty. Instead, I continued to lie to you, occasionally building up the courage to tell you who I really was, but like a coward, backing off in the end--not that I didn't try to tell you. As you now know, I then found out about what had really happened to my--(hesitates:) parents, and, following Woo's advice, had to continue to keep you in the dark--you don't--you don't know how much I wanted to tell you--I mean really wanted to tell you--(Helen, Jake, and Quinn look like they want to cry, while Daria looks at her brother with a slight look of compassion) and I just couldn't. (Looks at Quinn:) Quinn, I told you to tell the truth about Daria being your sister, but I couldn't tell you all the truth about my real identity, and in that, I was a hypocrite. I'm sorry for that. (Quinn gives him a weak smile, then Darren looks at Daria:) Daria, I know honesty is tantamount to your life, and I violated that, and I'm sorry. (Looks down, snorts bitterly:) Some "protection"--it nearly got you all killed. I can only hope you all can forgive me for what I did.

DARIA: (Before anyone else can speak:) Bro, listen, and listen good, because I'm only gonna say this once--you weren't perfect, but here's some "shocking" news--none of us are. Okay, so you didn't tell us right off the bat that you were "Arthur Appleton Jr."--big damn hairy deal. My--uh, our parents didn't tell us about what they thought was a miscarriage for 20 years, and Quinn and I forgave them, and we can forgive you for about a month of these so-called "lies". Oh, and in between these "lies", you did what--saved Jane's life, actually brought some sanity to our family (Helen, Jake, and Quinn look at her funny), helped Quinn with her studies (Quinn nods), uh, "bonded" with each of us in one way or another, and saved me and Jane's lives while getting shot and fighting for your life in the process. All of this on top of having an uncle who plotted and schemed to eliminate you behind the scenes, having done it already to your--parents, and manipulate the company's inner workings. (Pauses:) Oh, and your trying to "protect" us didn't almost kill us--it was your damn uncle who did that. These things, I might add, make your "so-called" lies look like little fibs. Bro, I think I can safely speak for everyone in this room when I say that you're forgiven, and then some.

DARREN: But--

QUINN: (Soft giggle:) Hush, bro--(looks at Daria, smirks:) I can say that this is the first time I completely agree with my sis on everything, an' stuff. (Daria looks surprised) Th' only thing I care about is that you're alive--I don't care how much money you've got. (Helen suddenly reaches over and feels Quinn's forehead, while Daria takes her pulse, which makes Darren laugh) What are you guys doin'?

DARIA: Trying to understand if the heat hasn't affected your brain--what little of it that's left. Our bro's loaded, and you're not gonna charm him into giving you a dime?

HELEN: (Gasps:) Daria!

QUINN: (Snorts:) Daaaria! Why should I care about how much money Darren's got--(looks at Darren, shrugs, indifferent:) what--

DARREN: (Smirks:) --10 billion dollars--

QUINN: --10 billion dollars, Daria! See? I'm not affected in the least by Darren's wealth! (Thought v.o.: OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!)

There suddenly was a sound in the room, like a thump. Daria, Helen, Quinn, and Darren looked down on the floor, and saw Jake sprawled out, having fainted.

HELEN: JAKE! (Goes over with Quinn to help Jake up in a chair)

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) So noted, sis--it looks like Dad was, though. Better get the smelling salts. (Pauses:) At least we know it wasn't the ether that made him faint this time. (Helen gives her a quick glare while Daria leans over to a snickering Darren, in a low voice:) Bro, there's something else I gotta ask you--

DARREN: (Senses Daria wants to confide something to him, leans closer:) --Yes, Daria?

DARIA: Were you the "Mysterious Benefactor" for Mystik Spiral?

DARREN: (Smiles:) Yes, I was.

DARIA: You didn't know Jane or Trent at the time--why did you help Trent and the guys?

DARREN: (Raised eyebrows:) Why, isn't it obvious, Daria? I did it for you (Daria looks shocked)--other than the fact that I wanted to use my money to help out somebody.

DARIA: (Still stunned:) You-did-that-for-me? Why?

DARREN: Uh--because you're my sister? (Daria smirks) (Looks over to a now-recovering Jake:) Ah, is he okay?

HELEN: (Pats Jake on the back gently:) He'll be fine, Darren.

JAKE: (Mutters, in a daze:) 10 billion bucks--

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Anyway--I wanted to ask you all if you and Jane, and Trent and the others can come to the mansion where I live after everything settles down in a few weeks. (Quinn's eyes light up, gasps) I'd like to introduce you to my world. The mansion my aunt and I live in sits on 450 acres of land by a large lake, is about 12,000 square feet, with 18 bedrooms, and 15 bathrooms--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --Quinn will have a ball with those bathrooms--we may never see her again. (Quinn rolls her eyes at Daria)

DARREN: (Chuckles:) --Anyway, we also have a huge study of books for you, Daria--(Daria cocks an intrigued eyebrow)

QUINN: (Smirks:) --And we'll never see Daria again--(Daria now rolls her eyes)

DARREN: We also have horse stables, and a helipad--one can have absolute silence on the estate--something I think Jane would appreciate when she paints.

HELEN: (Smiles, laughs:) You don't have to roll out the red carpet for us, sweetie!

JAKE: (Has now recovered somewhat:) Yeah, Big Guy! We're just your family!

DARREN: (Arched eyebrow, grins:) "Just" my family? Well, I intend to treat my "family" to a good time, so get used to it! You've been warned.

DARIA: And who, pray tell, are we to say no? I know Jane will jump on your offer, bro.

DARREN: Good--Quinn, you can bring your Fashion Club friends, if you want.

QUINN: (Gasps, excited, runs over and gingerly hugs her bro:) Oh, thank you, Darren! I'm sure they'll wanna go!

DARIA: There go the rest of the bathrooms.

HELEM: Well, now that we've gone through all of that, I know there are some other people who want to see you as well, Darren--I'll bring up everyone else after checking on your aunt Millie. (Leaves)

DARREN: Thanks. Speaking of checking up on people, I'd better call my friend Curtis--he must be beside himself by now. (Is handed the phone by Quinn, who dials the numbers that Darren tells her)

The next several days consisted of visits (particularly the "fun" ones by Jane), phone calls, and an exclusive interview with Meg Rosata, with Darren issuing out an apology to all of Lawndale for what he had done. Darren had also called an emergency meeting of the Board and the stockholders via a special monitor system from his hospital bed--after careful consideration, he had chosen a stunned Constance Waters (much to the delight of an equally stunned Daria) to become the new Chair(wo)man of Appleton Industries. When asked by some members as to why he chose Constance, Darren had said it was a "important decision he made after taking into consideration something that a person who is becoming more and more important in my life had said to me", which made Daria turn red-faced, and Jane snicker with delight. Constance also announced that Leonard Potter would be reinstated as head legal council of Appleton Industries. Leonard also agreed to be the personal lawyer to Darren, much like he was to Arthur Sr. and Lucille.

The shoulder had healed properly enough to where Darren could get up, and make his decision to go back to the mansion and finish recuperating there, much to the chagrin of the Morgendorffers and Jane, but Darren said he wanted to "prepare" for the visit of his family and friends. Millie had gone on ahead to the mansion--rather subdued, Darren had noticed--and for good reason--she had lost two brothers. He confided to Jane and Daria that he would spend some time with his aunt when he got back to the mansion.

As for Woo and his men, they were given generous bonuses for their work by Darren. So generous, that Woo proclaimed a two week vacation for everyone in his detective agency. Woo also agreed to be on permanent retainer for Darren, in case Darren needed him in the future.

The time would come for Darren to leave for the mansion, and before he did, he told Daria to expect the top-of-the-line Sharpshooter computor system in a few days to replace her old system. Daria was stunned to get this top of the line system, but accepted it because Darren insisted on it, having gotten Quinn the Circa Orginal dress. On the side, he had ordered special camel hair brushes for Jane, who promptly painted a "farewell" portrait for Darren--for the time, at least.

Darren had been chauffered with the Morgendorffers and Jane and Trent to the airport via a rented limousine courtesy of Darren--much to Trent's delight--the limo would take them back from the airport after Darren left. He got out of the limo with the others and went up to the private plane.

HELEN: (Softly hugs her son, sobs:) We'll see you in a few weeks, Darren--you take care of that shoulder, son.

JAKE: (Ditto:) Yeah, Big Guy--you gotta have it ready for our golf outing, right? (Darren nods)

QUINN: (Hugs her brother, who kisses her on the cheek:) Now, bro, we gotta go to those exclusive designer shops while in New York City--Sandi and the rest of th' Fashion Club are Lookin' forward to doin' that--

DARIA: (Smirks:) --And of eating up "The Big Apple" and leaving a core for us all. (Quinn gives her a quick glare)

DARREN: Don't worry, sis--we can do all those things.

TRENT: (Shakes Darren's hand:) Hey, man--we owe you for the money.

DARREN: Trent--you guys in Mystik Spiral have to follow your dreams and make them happen--that's how you'll pay me back--don't sit back and wait for them to happen, because if you try that, you'll never reach your goal.

Jane walked up to Darren with a wicked smirk.

JANE: See you in a few, Darren.

DARREN: (Returns it:) Likewise, Jane. I'll call, of course. (Both begin to kiss each other deeply)

About two minutes later, and after a rather--uncomfortable waiting period by everyone involved, Darren and Jane finally stopped kissing, then Darren got onto the plane. Daria motioned to everyone for a moment.

DARIA: Um, I forgot to give something to Darren--be right back. (Goes up on plane)

Darren had sat down in his seat when he saw Daria come up.

DARREN: (Slightly concerned, gets up:) Something wrong, sis?

DARIA: (Red-faced, smirks:) Bro, I forgot to give you something--promise me you won't go spreading it around.

DARREN: What, Daria?

Daria looked around quickly, seeing no one, then quietly walked up to her brother and gave him a gentle hug. Unlike the previous one she had given him following finding out they were brother and sister, this was a genuine, more comfortable one. Darren hugged his sister as best as he could with the awkward dressing on his shoulder, then kissed a red-faced and surprised Daria gently on the forehead.

DARREN: (Softly:) See you in a few weeks, sis.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Make sure you have that study ready for me to devour, bro--I'm getting a hankering for some reading.

DARREN: (Grins:) It'll be ready, I promise.

Daria came out of the plane and went back with the others. The plane's doors shut, and everyone watched the plane begin to taxi on the runway, then when cleared to go, began to build up speed, and took off. After about a minute, everyone got back into the limo, and it drove off.

DARIA: Damn it, I miss him already.

JANE: (Sighs:) Tell me about it, amiga.

QUINN: (Looks down:) Yeah.

JAKE: (Frowns:) DAMNIT!

HELEN: (Hooks her arm with his:) Now, Jakey--he'll still call us, and everything will be fine! It's only a couple of weeks before we'll see him again!

JANE: Trent, what do you--

Trent was asleep on the limo's seat with his head tilted back, snoring.

DARIA: (Smirks:) I guess he's "thinking" again.

JANE: (Ditto:) Then methinks my bro thinks too much. (Pauses:) You know, Daria--you can't say that this has been a boring summer now, can you?

DARIA: (Shrugs:) If I wanted to, I could, Jane--but I'll settle for "mildly amusing" instead. (Jane smirks while the limo goes down the road)

Epilogue

(Scene changes to the Appleton estate, a few hours later)

Darren sat down beside the graves of his dead parents, in the cool and softly breezy summer afternoon among the delicious trees and oaks, and began to speak:

DARREN: Mom, dad--I want to tell you that I've found another family--my birth family. I want you two to know that I'll always be an Appleton, but I'll have a little bit of Morgendorffer in me as well. (Pauses:) I'm sorry about uncle Will, mom, dad, and what he did to you--I'll do what I can to help aunt Millie through all of this--I know she kind of still feels threatened by the Morgendorffers, and we'll have to work through that. (Smiles:) I have a new girlfriend--her name's Jane Lane. You'd like her--she's a little more open than Stephanie was. I think she'll like the peace and serenity of the estate where she could paint without any distractions. I hope my--new family will enjoy themselves here, as well. I want to thank you both for being there for me in my life, and I'll try to live up to both of your expectations, I promise.

Darren got up from the site, and quietly strolled back to the mansion.

THE END...

For now, that is. I plan on possibly doing (much shorter) stories (or follow ups) in my own time, based on what happens after Season Four, and possibly after the TV movie (or before, I'm not quite sure)--if the demand is there, mind you. There are still soooo many loose ends after this story, am I right? Oh well, anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this fic, possibly the longest 'Daria' fanfic of all time. What you've read was the culmination of about ten months of work, starting during the "Drought" of Season Three. All of this simply came from an idea that kept going on in my head--I then jotted down a quick outline, some new characters, and went off--just like that. There weren't too many stories that I saw that had a bona-fide full-blooded sibling for Our Heroine, so why not give her and Quinn one, in this case, an older (lost) brother? I originally had Jane fall for Darren (and vice-versa) right off after she came back from her vacation, but then the 'Daria' writers threw me for a loop when Tom was introduced, and I seriously thought about gutting the whole thing, but then I decided that I had started this story, so why not see it out to the end? As I kept writing, I felt a little awkward as I saw how Season Four was going concerning how Tom and Jane were getting along--but thanks to Kara Wild's essay about the canon approach, I kept going. Then lo and behold, "I Loathe A Parade" came up, and new ideas flowed in my head! Believe or not (and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't believe me), the story plot just kind of fed itself throughout. I stayed away from jotting down scenes on a paper, then typing it on the screen, oh no--that isn't my style. I just allowed the story to come about in my mind, and I typed it down. Hey--if it didn't work, I deleted it, and went with something else! We've got the technical know-how to do it, so why not do it that way? (For me, anyhow.) There were times that I became stuck with where to go--(writer's block), so when that happened, I simply stopped doing it, and walked away to cool my mind, and do something else. A good lesson to learn, by the way--never force the writing--simply go with the flow. I had a fantastic beta-reader (who will be thanked in a second) that helped to point out some scenes that I could have added or taken out. All in all, it was a good learning experience, and I hoped that you truly enjoyed it, I really do. I know that there were not the customary commercials and songs that you're used to seeing, but I was simply trying to tell a story--nothing more, nothing less--I'll leave something like that to the expert 'Daria' writers.

Time to thank some people.

I'd like to thank Diane (Smoochy) Long, Canadibrit, Crazy Nutso, John Takis, Kendra, J, Nemo Blank, the 'Daria' fanfic addict, Desanera, and the others who did so as well, encouraging me along the way.

But the one I hold out above everyone else here is one:

Kara Wild!

Take a bow (or curtsy), Kara! I want to thank you for beta-reading this mega-fanfic throughout the entire process, your encouragement, and of giving me permission to use some of your "Driven Wild" continuum, and of the characters. Your advice was invaluable.

Notes:

There really is a Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. It has campuses in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange County, California. Check what it is on www.fidm.com.

I have some trivial questions that I'd like to ask you all for fun. Could you:

Spot any "Running Gags" in the story?

Figure out if any of the titles of the chapters have any double meanings?

Questions, comments? The address is SGall23241@aol.com--please be kind. Thanks.

Back to Chapter 1