1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Chapter 9 - "F-Day"

Darren woke up out of his bed in the early morning, stretching his arms. He suddenly flinched, quickly looking around for Jake. Darren then let out a deep breath, relieved that he wasn't there, for Jake had been sitting beside his bed watching him on and off since Darren first came to the Morgendorffers. Eventually, he'd have to say something to him about that, but he still didn't have the heart to do it just yet. Obviously, the man wanted to just look at the son he had thought he lost all those years ago, and was trying to somehow make up the time. Darren sighed and got out of bed, stretching his legs and arms, loosening himself up for his regular morning jog.

As Darren started stretching with his dumbells, he thought about the upcoming meeting with his grandmothers and aunts, and how he'd react to them. Helen said they came to the Stopover Motel late last night, and had stayed in four rooms--his grandma Ruth in a room completely on the other side of the motel from the others, his grandma Evelyn and aunt Rita in another room, his cousin Erin and her husband, Brian, and finally, the illustrious aunt Amy in her own room. For some reason, Darren found himself looking forward to meeting her the most. If someone like the cynical Daria could admire this woman, then he'd want to find out for himself what she was like. Darren put on his jogging paraphernalia and went outside for a quicker-than-usual jog--there was no way he'd want to miss any of them coming over.

(Scene changes to a bedroom, Los Angeles, about the same time--you can imagine it's pretty early in the morning there)

As the phone kept ringing, an arm came out from under the sheets. The hand on the end of it kept grasping to find and silence the noise the infernal device was making, finally making contact. It quickly seized it, and turned it on. The phone then was pulled to the ear of the tired-looking man that was Gerald Woo.

WOO: Mmmhello?

VOICE: Woo--it's David. Did I wake you?

WOO: (Looks at the alarm clock:) No, David, you didn't wake me--I always sit here in the early morning waiting for someone to call me--sleep isn't all that important. Why in the hell are you calling me now? The Snell case was solved! You did a great job! (Narrows eyes:) Are you trying to get me to fire you?

DAVID: Woo, this isn't about the Snell case--I couldn't sleep, because I was so excited about the Appleton case--possibly our most lucrative one--so I decided to come down to the office to look in our files and get a head start on investigating that jet crash, and--

WOO: (Rolls his eyes, cuts David off:) --David, I've already talked to Darren Appleton about the investigation. The NTSB hasn't found anything out of the ordinary yet--

DAVID: --because the NTSB had investigated that the jet had maintenance at La Guardia International before going out towards Denver that night. They only made a scant check when the jet had been in Los Angeles only a day before going to La Guardia--

WOO: (Annoyed, lying on the bed, looks up at the ceiling:) --yes, I know that--what is your point?

DAVID: My point is, I decided to look a little more into the jet's maintenance at Los Angeles International, and I found something very interesting--there was a list of people who had worked on that jet's fuel line. On that list was a "Juan Lopez"--only I found out that Mr. "Lopez" had quit his job the same day after the jet took off for New York City. I kind of thought that was strange because, get this--Mr. "Lopez" had just been on the job for only three days, and he had done nothing to get fired.

WOO: (Considers, sits up in his bed:) So, a guy who had helped worked on the Appleton jet's fuel line, considered to be the main cause of that crash, had come on for only three days, and had left afterwards, even though his boss said that this "Lopez" guy had done nothing to get fired? (Pauses:) Seems kind of suspicious I must admit, but it could still just be a coincidence, David--

DAVID: (Sounding smug:) --Even if I told you that "Lopez" really isn't this guy's name?

WOO: (Now fully awake, stunned:) WHAT?

DAVID: Yep. I looked at this guy's I.D. work badge picture, and on a hunch, checked it with the computer criminal profile picture database I hacked into at the L.A.P.D. Seems this "Lopez" is really a fellow named Julio Sanchez. He's got a rap sheet a mile long. Extortion, racketeering, aggravated assault, larceny, and (sounding sarcastic:) no maintenance experience on working on jet planes, but--

WOO: (Gets out of his bed, clad in white pajamas:) --Possibly a hired killer? (Grins:) Excellent work, David! I'm going to change and meet you down there. We'll see if we can locate Mr. Sanchez and ask him some questions as to who may have hired him to sabotage the Appleton's jet and cause it to crash.

DAVID: (Sounding confused:) Er, Woo--shouldn't we take this information to the police?

WOO: (Curt:) No. Despite your work, all we have here is circumstantial evidence--still not enough to go on. Besides, telling the police could alert whoever did this and put them on their guard. I'm thinking that the person or persons who did this had a motive to eliminate the Appletons--getting the conglomerate. These people could be some seriously powerful folks with a lot of influence--also, Sanchez himself could be put in danger if the person or persons found out what was going on. They'd want to silence him to cover their tracks, and we'll need Sanchez alive to point the finger.

DAVID: (Sounding shocked:) But then, what do we do? Just sit on the evidence, circumstantial, or not?

WOO: (Gets some clothes out of his dresser, holds the phone to his head with his shoulder:) No, of course not. Like I said, we'll locate Sanchez and then we'll get the answers we're looking for, you know, like how he did it, and who hired him. I think he'll tell us because when he sees the "cicumstantial" evidence, he sure as hell won't want to go down alone.

DAVID: But he could be out of the country!

WOO: Then we'll go out of the country to get him.

DAVID: (Hesitates:) Woo, do you think Darren Appleton--

WOO: (Cuts him off:) --Don't even go there, David. Why kill your parents, and then not take over the business? I know what you're thinking--"Maybe to throw off suspicion?" Look, you know how I am when it comes to knowing my clients. I worked with that young man. He was in pain. Real pain. He couldn't kill his parents anymore than I could kill you. Besides, why hire us to investigate what happened, only to point the finger at himself? Nope, not Darren Appleton.

DAVID: (Pauses, considers:) Millie Appleton?

WOO: (Rolls his eyes while setting up his ironing board:) Please. Millie Appleton was crazy about her brother and sister-in-law. Yeah, she's in Europe, but she's planning on coming back, and she's been known to have little interest in the conglomerate's inner workings. (Puts shirt on board, plugs up iron) Nope, not Millie Appleton.

DAVID: Um, William Appleton?

WOO: (Silent for a moment, frowns, perplexed:) Possibly, but he was chosen by Darren Appleton to run the company. If he had a motive, then he would've known he was next in power to take over, and then he would've promptly had his brother and sister-in-law killed. (Pauses, voice grows low:) That doesn't mean he might've not had a hand in this--someone on the Board of Directors or a group of stockholders could've joined William Appleton, though it would seem inconceivable to me that he'd conspire to kill his own brother and sister-in-law. (Voice then becomes serious:) We'll have to check out this Sanchez's old hangouts. Get on it.

DAVID: Will do--(pauses:) er, Woo?

WOO: (While ironing:) Yes?

DAVID: Would you mind bringing in some breakfast when you come in? I'm kind of hungry.

WOO: (Smiles:) Sure--I guess you've earned it. See you then. (Hangs up, thought v.o.: I'll call Darren later and tell him what was discovered--I think he told me when we last talked that he's got his extended family coming in today--best wait until he's had them over--) (Pauses, frowns, continued thought v.o.: --and maybe hold off telling Darren about my wondering on whether or not saying his uncle is a suspect--no telling what could happen if Darren or his uncle would do if they knew that.)

(Scene goes back to the Morgendorffer home, an hour later)

Darren and the Morgendorffers were preparing for the impending arrival of grandma Morgendorffer and the Barksdales/Danielsons. Quinn was primping herself in front of her mirror when Daria walked by Quinn's open door and noticed her.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Fix yourself up anymore, and you'll be set for going 100,000 miles before you need a tune-up.

QUINN: (Glares at Daria in the mirror:) Look, Daria, just because you don't care about your appearance, don't go an' try to make fun of mine, okay? (Goes back to looking in her mirror:) I want my grandmas an' aunts to see me at my best--

DARIA: --At manipulating their attention--(pauses, realizes something, smirks:) hey, wait a minute--Darren's gonna get their attention. Is that why you're taking even more time in getting ready than usual, sis? You don't want them to forget you?

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) Pleeease, Daria! Like I said, I was just trying to look my best! (Annoyed:) Now if you don't mind, I've gotta finish my makeover! (Walks over, shuts her door in Daria's face)

DARIA: (Smirks, thought v.o.: You need a "makeover" all right, sis--someone to make over you all the time.) (Goes to Darren's room, knocks:) Big Bro, are you about ready to face that sweet, sweet music?

DARREN: (Now showered and dressed in a brown short-sleeved Dockers shirt and those long Dockers shorts that go down to the shins, opens door, grins:) Tah-dah! How do I look, sis?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Like a lamb going to the slaughter, bro. (Small smile)

DARREN: (Sounding a "little" disappointed:) Um, yeah. (Takes a deep breath, closes eyes for a moment:) Chin up, chin out, hop to it. (Hesitates for a moment, then decides to extend an elbow to Daria:) Shall we proceed, Daria?

DARIA: (Raised eyebrow, looks at his arm, shrugs:) Ah, what the hell. (Hooks her arm with his:) Lead on, bro. (Both start to go downstairs when Quinn comes out of her room)

QUINN: (Frowns slightly when she sees Daria's arm hooked with Darren's:) Hey! What about me?

DARIA: It's always about Quinn, isn't it? (Darren chuckles slightly while Quinn gives a quick glare at Daria)

DARREN: (Extends his other elbow, smirks:) There's always room for one more, sis.

QUINN: (Faux smug:) That's better. (Hooks her arm with Darren's, and they all go downstairs)

Helen and Jake were already downstairs and had cleaned up after the family had breakfast. Helen was looking outside through the front window apprehensively, while Jake was finishing the morning edition of the paper, sitting on the middle couch. He looked up and saw his son and two daughters coming down the stairs, arm-in-arm. Jake grinned at the sight.

JAKE: Awww--isn't that cute? (Looks over at Helen, who's still looking out of the window:) Hey, Helen! You gotta see this! Where's the camera? (Looks around)

HELEN: (Not bothering to respond to Jake, still looks through the window:) Not now, Jake! I'm watching for our families!

JAKE: (Whiny:) But honey--our kids are arm-in-arm! Look! (At this time, Daria, Quinn, and Darren look at each other, smirk, and unhook their arms, all the while looking innocently straight ahead. Jake is still looking at Helen, and doesn't notice what they have done) C'mon, Helen!

HELEN: Oh, for the love of God, Jake--(turns around, exasperated, sees her son and daughters looking straight ahead:) what in the hell are you talking about, Jake? They aren't arm-in-arm! What's wrong with you? (Looks back out the front window)

JAKE: (Doing a double-take at his son and daughters:) Huh? But I could've sworn--(shakes his head as if to clear it, then shrugs and looks back in his paper)

Darren looked curiously at Helen.

DARREN: (Speaks to his sisters in a low voice:) She's sure anxious, isn't she?

DARIA: I think mom wants to make a good impression on grandma Evelyn and aunt Rita because this is their first visit to our home. Aunt Amy, cousin Erin and her brother Brian, and grandma Ruth have been here before.

(Note to reader: As mentioned before--at least in some of the 'Daria' fanfics---Amy visited in "The Tie That Chokes", Erin and Brian in "None In The Family" [Part 2], both done by Kara Wild, and grandma Ruth's visit was on the episode "Jake Of Hearts")

QUINN: (Goes up beside Helen, looks out window:) God, what's taking them so long to get here?

DARIA: (Walks up to Helen and Quinn, smirks:) Maybe aunt Amy's taking the long way around to get here--you know, to draw out grandma Evelyn and Ruth's eagerness to see their grandson? I would, if I were her--a slow, arduous, tortuous process to get here. (Helen and Quinn glare at Daria, then look back out the window, while Daria sits down on the far couch, picking up and reading a magazine from the coffee table. The magazine has the "Sick, Sad World" eyeball logo on it.)

Darren walked over to Jake and sat down beside him on the couch, and noticed that Jake had the business section of the Lawndale-Sun Herald clutched beneath the sports section in his hands while reading the paper.

DARREN: (Speaks low:) Uh, Jake, may I see the business section, please?

JAKE: Huh? Oh, sure, Big Guy--(hands him that section:) here ya go! (Takes on a proud look:) Guess you wanna check out more on your future occupation, huh?

DARREN: (Takes paper:) Thanks, yes--you might say that. (Begins to read it, sees headline in the section, then frowns. He reads a little more of the article under the business headline, then slowly rises up with a troubled look on his face.)

JAKE: (Notices Darren out of the corner of his eye:) Gosh, you sure finished reading that fast, son.

DARREN: (Distracted:) Eh? Oh, yes--fast. (Looks at the paper again as if to confirm what he read was true:) Will you excuse me for a moment? I have to make a--(Quinn gasps, and Darren and Jake look in her direction:) eh?

QUINN: (Looks out the window with Helen, excited:) They're here! (Jake and Darren get up to see, but Daria keeps reading her magazine)

HELEN: (Perplexed frown:) Hmmm--I see only one car, a yellow taxi. (Becomes excited:) Come on, everyone--let's see who it is! (Leaves out the front door with Quinn and Jake--Darren waits for Daria)

DARREN: (Raises eyebrow, smirks:) Coming, Daria?

DARIA: (Shrugs, sighs, flips magazine to the side:) I guess--why the hell not? (Smirks, gives Darren a sly look:) Now remember, you can't sue me for the introductions.

DARREN: (Laughs:) I'll remember. (Goes out with Daria)

Helen, Jake, and Quinn came out to the curb in front of the house, and saw Ruth Morgendorffer get out the taxi. She was about to pay the driver when Jake gently cut her off and did it himself. He then turned to his mother.

JAKE: (Happy:) Mommy! (Hugs her)

RUTH: Hello, Jakey. How's your heart?

JAKE: (Pats his chest proudly:) It's super-duper, Mom! The doctor told me last month that I was in great shape, and I'm eating lighter, too!

RUTH: (Gives a kind smile to him:) I see. (Looks at Helen with a droll look, gives a curt greeting:) Hello, Helen--with the way you cooked the last time I was here, I'm surprised my son could still eat anything at all--

HELEN: (Strains to remain civil, cuts her off:) --Hello, Ruth--you're still your usual chipper self, I see. (Sees cab pull off:) I thought my mother and the others were supposed to be with you.

RUTH: (Shrugs her shoulders, faux surprised:) Oh, dear--you mean they haven't shown up yet? How awful! Maybe we got our signals mixed up. (Looks at Quinn:) And how is my beautiful Quinn? (Hugs her)

QUINN: (Giggles and eats it up:) Hi, Grandma Ruth! I'm fine!

RUTH: That's wonderful, Quinn--(chuckles:) and I assume the boys keep coming at you in waves, dear?

QUINN: (Looks away, becomes uneasy:) Um, well--

DARIA: (Comes up with Darren, smirks:) --More like the waves are becoming an undertow, Grandma Ruth, thanks to my bro here. (Quinn frowns at Daria, while Darren looks uncomfortable)

RUTH: (Curious:) Why, what do you mean, Dar--(sees Darren:) oh, my Lord. (Walks slowly up to Darren, mouth agape, and puts her trembling hand on his chest, and then face:) Y-you're m-my grandson, dear?

DARREN: (Looks down at his grandmother, slightly red-faced:) Er, yes ma'am, I am--(pauses:) Grandma Ruth. (Suddenly gasps as Ruth hugs him tightly)

RUTH: (Estatic, grins, looks up into Darren's eyes, about to cry:) My grandson--and quite a handsome grandson, too! (Looks over at Jake:) He looks completely like you, Jakey--but he has my eyes! (Jake's chest is puffed out from being so proud, while Helen scowls at Ruth, then at Jake, who catches it, and quickly deflates) Come into the house, Darren, and we can talk, young man. (Hooks her arm with Darren's, and both go into the house, followed by Jake, Quinn, and a still-scowling Helen. Daria brings up the rear.)

DARIA: (Talks to herself, deadpan:) "Hello, Daria. How are you?" "Oh, I'm fine, Grandma Ruth. I'm still planning on getting some more tattoos." Story of my life. (Goes into house, shuts the door)

Just as everyone came into the house, the cell phone rang, and Helen grabbed it. In the meantime, Ruth and Darren sat down on the middle couch, Jake sat on the left couch, while Quinn and Daria sat on the right couch.

HELEN: (In that falsetto voice:) Hellooo? (Pause:) Mother? (Daria and Quinn look at Helen, while Ruth keeps talking to Darren and Jake) Where are you all? (Pause:) The motel? Why--(pause:) yes, she's here. (Slowly looks over to Ruth, narrows her eyes:) I see. (Pause:) Well, we'll be expecting you in about thirty minutes, Mother. Goodbye. (Clicks off phone, walks over to and sits down beside Jake, and is now frowning at Ruth, who has stopped talking to Darren for the moment because she now sees how Helen is looking at her. Daria, who smirks at this because she suspects what's going on, inquires)

DARIA: (Faux concern:) Mom, who was that on the phone? Was it your job? Don't tell me Eric needs you to come in from your hard-earned vacation? (Darren raises an eyebrow at this, looks curiously at Daria, who smirks at Darren.)

HELEN: (Glares at Daria for a moment, then cooly looks at Ruth, and speaks in a deliberate and cold tone:) That was your grandma Evelyn, Daria. It seems that she was under the impression your Grandma Ruth was at the motel in her own room waiting for my mother and the others to come and pick her up. (Pauses:) Your grandma Evelyn also said that the hotel manager told her that your Grandma Ruth checked out already, and to meet her over here--the only problem was that your Granma Ruth didn't tell them what she was going to do.

RUTH: (Waves off Helen:) Oh, bother. (Pauses:) Well, I told you that we must've had our signals mixed up, Helen. It's not my fault your mother can't seem to grasp what I said to her. We'll just have to wait for them to come in, and in the meantime, I can get to know my grandson. (Helen looks about ready to explode, while Ruth simply looks and smiles at Darren:) Tell me about Eastward College, Darren. (Daria and Quinn look at each other uneasily, and even Jake looks disappointed at what his mother has done)

DARREN: (Looks at Ruth uneasily, then at everyone else:) Er--perhaps we should wait until my other grandmother and my aunts and cousin get here. I mean, why should I tell you about myself, Grandma Ruth, and then tell it to them again? (Ruth scowls a bit at Darren, who quickly adds:) Uh, it's just that I want to see both of my two beautiful grandmothers, who I can appreciate being here to meet with me. (Gently takes a surprised Ruth's hand, looks at her in the eye, and smiles:) Please do this for me.

Ruth seemed mesmerized for a moment, and then smiled at Darren.

RUTH: (Blushes somewhat:) Oh, I--well, that is, um--very well, Darren. (Adds, pats her hair, flattered:) Do you really think I'm beautiful?

DARREN: (Smiles:) Of course I do! (Motions in Jake's direction, grins:) Where do you think my birth father got his good looks? (Jake gets puffed up in pride again)

RUTH: (Gets up while grinning herself, and Darren does as well with everyone else:) Oh, my--what a wonderful grandson you are, Darren! (Pinches Darren's cheek:) I'm going to go and freshen up, everyone, and wait for the others! (Actually giggles and leaves for the bathroom)

Everyone simply stared at Darren, who was rubbing his cheek.

DARIA: (Impressed:) Damn, you're good, bro.

QUINN: (Equally so, awed by her brother:) Boy, I'll say!

HELEN: (Delighted, looks about to cry:) Oh, my son! (Hugs a startled Darren)

JAKE: (Sticks out his hand:) Put 'er there, Big Guy! (Shakes Darren's hand, getting it in a vice-like grip)

DARREN: (Rubs his hand that Jake nearly crushed, a little baffled by everyone's praise:) All I did was ask her to wait for my other grandmother.

HELEN: (Looks at her son with pride:) It's just that you diffused a difficult situation, Darren.

DARIA: (Smirks:) I'll say--from the way mom was looking, you'd think a nuclear bomb was about to go off. (Helen narrows her eyes at Daria)

JAKE: (Suddenly slaps his hands together:) Well, we might as well have something to drink while we're a-waitin' for the rest of our relatives! Who's for some lemonade? (Leaves for the kitchen)

QUINN: (Follows Jake with Helen:) I'll want some, Daddy--but make sure you put some of that sweetner stuff in mine--

DARIA: (Deadpan:) --How fitting--phony sweetner for a phony person who pretends she's sweet. (Darren chuckles to himself, while Quinn sticks her tounge out at Daria)

Daria and Darren sat back down, this time on the middle couch.

DARIA: You ever thought of selling that B.S. you've gave to grandma Ruth, bro? You could make a hell of a lot of money.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow, chuckles to himself, thought v.o.: If you knew how much I had, sis, you wouldn't ask that question:) "B.S.", Daria? I would like to think I was telling the truth. (Sighs:) Sure, I wanted to calm everyone down, but that doesn't mean that I as a grandson can't tell my grandmother that she looks nice. (Grows quiet:) You see, Daria, the grandparents I had thought that were mine in blood have passed away--on both sides of my (adopted) parent's families. (Daria looks at him quietly) Call it corny, but seeing the mothers of my birth parents kind of gives me another chance on seeing more grandparents. (Smirks:) I mean, how many people you know can say they saw more than four grandparents in a lifetime? Not many.

DARIA: (Reflects on what Darren has said, feels a little guilty over her remark:) Um, look--I'm sorry for saying that, Darren--

DARREN: (Shows a melancholic smile:) --Forget it, sis. (Ponders for a moment:) Look, I have to make a quick call up in my room. Could you tell everyone that I'll be back in a few minutes? I'll make sure to be done before our other relatives get here, okay? (Gets up and goes upstairs)

DARIA: (Watches him go up:) Sure, bro. (Thought v.o. while frowning to herself: Nice going, Daria--make light of your brother's pain. Maybe you can twist the knife the other damn way) (Sighs, gets up and goes into the kitchen)

Darren went into his room, and quickly picked up his cell phone. He pushed a few buttons, and waited for a response. He frowned when the operator told him the number he called was no longer in service. He began to push a few more numbers, and finally got an answer.

DARREN: Hello, is this William Appleton's secretary, Lilly?

LILLY: (Sounding nonchalant while typing:) Yes, it is. Who is speaking?

DARREN: This is Darren Appleton. Is Mr. Appleton in conference?

LILLY: (Becomes more alert after hearing who it is:) No sir, Mr. Appleton--he told me that he was going to be late coming in today, and if he was needed, to call him at his apartment. He said he had some personal business to see to.

DARREN: I see. Well, thank you for your help, Lilly. (Clicks off phone, punches some more buttons)

(Scene changes to William Appleton's Park Avenue apartment, a minute earlier)

William Appleton paced back and forth on his living room floor, looking worried. Benny, standing in the middle of the floor, watched him wordlessly.

WILLIAM: Benny, we've got to figure out what to do about my so-called "nephew". He's no doubt told his "family" who he is, and I'd wager he'll be coming back here soon to meddle in my company affairs--I'm sure of it.

BENNY: (Grins wickedly:) Arrange some sort of "accident", Boss?

WILLIAM: (Distracted:) Hm? Well, I don't know yet, Benny. (Ponders:) I must admit, however, that I'm somewhat baffled as to why we haven't heard anything from the media on this--you know, a large press conference with him on the front of the television screen telling everyone that he was adopted, and how he wants to introduce to the world his "real" family. (Glares into space:) I tell you, Benny, it sickens me to see my damn "nephew" do this crap to embarass me, especially after I'm planning to put my own man to head the legal services of the conglomerate, and then to be free to look for a legal way to wrestle the conglomerate from Darren permanently--unless I decide to have him killed first.

BENNY: Maybe he asked them to keep quiet about it, Boss--Darren can be awfully persuasive when he has to be. (Sneers:) Maybe he promised to pay them some money not to say anything--?

WILLIAM: (Snorts:) Yeah--right, Benny. My "goody-goody two-shoes" of a "nephew"? Get real. Even though he's lying to his birth family, I'm convinced that his (speaks the word as if is some sort of curse, spits out:) "conscience" will win out in the end. Looks like I'll have to make a decision--(pauses, looks at Benny with a faux sadness:) poor Millie--I'll have to console her over Darren's impending death, but she's strong, and I'll be there for her. (Benny smirks, delighted) Go ahead and call--

William's cell phone rang just at that moment, and he snatched it up, clicking it on.

WILLIAM: (Sounding annoyed:) This had better be an emergency, Lilly.

VOICE: (Sounding equally annoyed:) This isn't Lilly, Uncle Will--and in a way, it is an emergency.

WILLIAM: (Suddenly sounding "happy":) W-why Darren! (Motions to Benny, who turns on the cell phone's base intercom speaker to listen in) What a pleasant surprise! To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?

DARREN: Save it, Uncle Will. I read in the business section of the local paper here that you transferred Leonard Potter out to the West coast branch of the legal services division. Is that true?

WILLIAM: (Thinks for a moment:) Well, yes, but he chose to go, Darren, and we needed someone of his experience out there to handle our legal matters. He's getting more money, and more responsiblity. (Adds quickly:) I just chose him because of that like you chose me to head the conglomerate--you know, because of his experience? (Stresses this word as if to drive the point home to Darren, then adds faux concern:) Is there something wrong, dear boy?

There was silence on the other end of the phone, then Darren spoke.

DARREN: Well, I guess not--but I assume you have a replacement?

WILLIAM: (Smug look on his face:) Of course--Sam Norwood.

DARREN: (Sounding alarmed:) Sam Norwood?! Didn't I hear dad say once that he made a living off of defending Mafia figures, and that Norwood would never work for Appleton Industries?

WILLIAM: (Looks cooly at the back of his hand:) Darren, Sam Norwood hasn't represented any of those people for years, and has worked at a prestigious law firm in lower Manhattan for quite awhile now. He is considered to be a very agressive lawyer who will watch out for Appleton's interests like Leonard did. (Pauses:) If you wish, I can give you a number to call and check yourself--(adds, with a little hint of accusation:) since you don't seem to trust me.

DARREN: (Hesitates:) I never said that I don't trust you, Uncle Will, I mean you've done so much for me and all--it's just, well --(voice fades off)

WILLIAM: --It's quite all right, Darren, I only know you have the company's best interests at heart--like I do. (Changes tone, looks at Benny, narrows eyes:) So, I guess you've told your birth family who you really are by now?

DARREN: Um, not yet, Uncle Will. (William smirks, while Benny mouths "Damn") I've decided to wait a bit longer for--personal reasons. Let's just say the time I wanted to tell them wasn't a good one at the moment, but I'll eventually get to doing it. (Lightens tone:) So, have you heard from aunt Millie?

WILLIAM: Yes, I have, Darren--she's doing quite fine. Millie called me yesterday and said she's on a cruise in the Mediterranean this week, and next week, she'll be in Spain.

DARREN: (Sounding pleased:) Excellent, Uncle Will--I'm glad she's having a good time--God only knows she deserves it. Would you tell her that I'm fine, and not to worry about me?

WILLIAM: Of course I will, Darren--(frowns:) anything else?

DARREN: (Voice becomes low, pauses:) Look, Uncle Will, I'm--sorry for calling you and questioning your decisions, and giving you the impression that I'm looking over your shoulder. (William and Benny look shocked, and Darren is heard chuckling) I know you're probably shocked to hear that. Tell you what--I promise I won't call again unless it's an absolute emergency. I've got to go, take it easy, Uncle--see you later.

WILLIAM: (Still shocked, weakly gets out his words:) Er, ah, sure, Darren--have a good time with your birth family. (Slowly turns off the phone) Well, I'll be damned.

BENNY: (Sounding surly:) Crap. What do we do now, Boss?

WILLIAM: For the time being, nothing, Benny. Let my "nephew" have his fun for now--maybe he'll finally understand that I'm the "Man" when it comes to this company. (Smirks:) Let's get back to work and welcome Norwood, Benny.

BENNY: (Sounding depressed:) Sure, Boss.

WILLIAM: Now, now, Benny--I know you're disappointed you can't get to Darren, but remember, I said "For the time being". I could very well "address" the matter of Darren in the near future, especially if I hear from him and he meddles in my affairs again, so cheer up! (Slaps Benny on the back, and Benny stumbles forward, which amuses William. Both men leave the apartment)

(Scene is in a small, covered red convertible sportscar driving on a street on the way to the Morgendorffers, about ten minutes later. The car is followed by a taxi.)

Amy Barksdale drove her car listening to her mother sitting in the passenger seat ranting about getting back at Ruth Morgendorffer for her deception. Her mother was going at it so much, that Amy secretly wished she could be in the taxi that was following behind them that contained her sister Rita, niece Erin, and Erin's husband Brian--she suddenly shuddered at that thought, frowning slightly to herself. Why in the world would she want to willingly be with any member of her immediate family? God, she must be getting desperate to wish something like that. Too bad Joel wasn't here to act as a firewall of a sort. She smirked at the little plan Ruth had formulated at getting to see her grandson first--too bad Amy herself didn't come to think of it, but at least she could see her nieces and nephew to cushion the blow.

A nephew. How was he like? How did he look--like Helen, or Jake? Maybe both? The way Helen had went on about this "Darren" fellow, one would think he could fly or something. She had thought about calling Daria to ask her some questions about Darren, but Amy didn't want to risk stirring back up any feelings of jealousy from Helen when Amy had last visited there. Amy decided to just see for herself her "newest" nephew. Amy wearily glanced at her mother, who was finishing her ranting.

(Note to reader: The "jealousy" thing and Amy's beau Joel are from Kara Wild's "The Tie That Chokes", and a little bit of that spilled over into "That Thing You Say", from Kara as well)

EVELYN: (Angry:) --And Ruth will be getting an earful, I can tell you that, Amy. (Looks at Amy, concerned:) You seem to be awfully quiet, dear.

AMY: (Comes out her deep thoughts:) What? Oh, I was just thinking about my nephew. (Pauses, considers something for a moment, talks to her mother in a gingerly way:) Mom, I know you're obviously upset over what Mrs. Morgendorffer did, and I don't blame you, but don't you think you should, well, hold off giving her a piece of your mind? (Sees her mother looking at her with a mild look of disbelief:) I mean, do it for your grandson. After all, we should try to give to him the best impression of our family. (Thought v.o.: Oh no, we certainly can't let him know what he's going to get himself into when he sees the lunatics that populate our family. [Smirks:] Not that Daria hasn't probably already warned him of what to expect.)

EVELYN: (Ponders her daughter's words:) Well--I'll try for my grandson's sake, Amy, but if Ruth says something to me about the so-called "mix-up", I can't promise I won't say anything nasty to her.

AMY: (Looks forward, smirks:) Fair enough, Mom. (Cuts her eyes outside the car, looks up at the sky through her windshield:) It looks like it's a nice day. (Cocks an eyebrow at her mother:) Why didn't you want to ride in my car with the top down?

EVELYN: (Gives a surprised look at her daughter, chuckles:) And ruin my hairdo, Amy? I want to look my best for my grandson. Besides, I didn't want to ride with Rita, Erin and Brian--I see enough of them at home--and I wanted to spend at least a little time talking to you. (Amy glances at her mom, shocked)

AMY: (Makes sure to keep her eyes on the road:) You're--serious?

EVELYN: (Smiles:) Of course I'm serious, dear. After all, I've never rode in your car before--and being here keeps me from listening to Rita's constant bickering with Erin over Brian having trouble keeping a job.

AMY: (Smirks:) Yeah, especially since she herself can't keep one.

EVELYN: (Glares:) Amy! Your sister is trying to--(sighs:) look, why don't you take some of your own advice, dear--try not to upset your nephew by giving out your--"special" remarks, all right?

AMY: (Gives a mock salute:) All righty-rinny-roo, Mom.

In the taxi that was following them, the driver already was getting a headache from listening to Rita Barksdale, who was sitting up front with him, and her daughter, and son-in-law, who were arguing in the rear. He rolled his eyes, and strained to look forward, screaming to himself privately for this ride to end mercifully.

RITA: (Frowns:) --And I can just see Helen bragging about her son to me. Well, she'd better not try to laugh in my face, or I'll--

ERIN: (Exasperated:) --Mother, please! Can't we get along for my cousin's sake? (Smirks:) Quinn called me yesterday and told me her brother was gorgeous! I can't wait to see him!

BRIAN: (Cocks an eyebrow at this:) Hey, should I be jealous over this guy?

ERIN: (Looks at Brian as if he has lost his mind:) You idiot! He's my cousin! Why in the world should you care how he looks? It's not as if I'm going to fall for him or something!

BRIAN: (Looking surly:) Yeah, well--it's just that you've been making such a big deal out of meeting this "Darren" guy, and I feel kind of--neglected.

ERIN: (Rolls her eyes:) Oh, Brian--(hooks her arm with his:) no one can replace you, dear. (Brian looks smugly ahead while Rita shakes her head slowly)

The two vehicles pulled in front of the Morgendorffer's home, and Helen led her family out from the house. Ruth, smirking, had her arm hooked with Darren's as they both came out of the house. Daria gave a small smile when she saw her aunt Amy (and vice-versa), and Quinn suantered up to the taxi to meet Erin and her husband Brian, who had gotten the cab fare from Rita, and was paying the "All-too-ready-to-get-rid-of-these-people" driver. As Amy's car pulled into the Morgendorffer's driveway, Evelyn cast a quick glare at Ruth, but then saw her grandson just as quickly, and her visage grew softer. She got out as soon as Amy had come to a complete stop, and went straight for Darren, only giving a quick wave to a startled Helen as Evelyn walked right past her. Evelyn put her trembling hand on Darren's face and chest, (much to the chagrin of a jealous-looking Ruth) and like Ruth, was overcome with emotion.

EVELYN: (Looks up into her grandson's eyes, about to cry:) S-so you're my grandson, Darren.

DARREN: (With a still-jealous looking Ruth watching both of them:) Yes ma'am--and you must be my Grandma Evelyn. (Hugs her:) It's a pleasure to meet you.

EVELYN: (Gently caresses her grandson's face, and looks at Helen, who is coming up to them with Jake in tow:) He looks completely like you, Helen--but he has my eyes! (This time, it's Helen's turn to look proud, while Jake looks heartbroken, and Ruth merely glares at Evelyn)

DARREN: (Who catches this, and remembers the same thing was said by Ruth to his birth father, looks for peace:) Actually, I think I look like both of my birth parents--and I have both of your eyes. Wouldn't you all agree? (Jake and Helen look at each other, and smile, while Ruth and Evelyn look at each other, and grudgingly put aside their differences for their grandson's sake, and force a smile towards each other)

HELEN & JAKE & EVELYN & RUTH: (All at the same time:) Oh yes, son! Sure, Big Guy! Of course you do, Darren! You're certainly right about that!

DARIA: (Smirks, thought v.o.: And even though "Having both eyes" would mean you would have one blue eye from mom, and one brown eye from dad, you still win them over, Big Bro--way to go.)

DARREN: (Nods his approval:) All right, then, that's settled. (Sees the others coming up to him:) And who have we here? (Looks down at Rita:) My first pretty aunt?

RITA: (Looks up at her nephew, mouth hung open:) Um, I'm--uh, your aunt Rita. (Helen smirks at Rita's behaviour) H-hello, Darren. (Hugs her nephew)

DARREN: Hello, Aunt Rita. (Rita blushes, and looks at everyone with a bit of a foolish look on her face, steps back) Ah, okay. (Looks at an awestruck Erin, smiling:) And you're--

BRIAN: (Suddenly steps in front of a surprised Erin, tries to give the impression that he's "protecting his woman":) --I'm Brian, and this is Erin, my wife, and your cousin. (Emphasizes the word "cousin" to a partially confused Darren, as if to drive the point home that's all Erin is to Darren--his cousin)

DARIA: (Smirks, stands to the side and watches all of this with Amy and Quinn, leans over to Quinn, speaks in a low voice:) Those "insects" seem to be escaping you and are now entering Brian's brain. (Quinn rolls her eyes at Daria, while Amy cocks an amused eyebrow at both of her nieces)

ERIN: (Steps in front of her husband, gives him a quick glare, looks up into Darren's eyes:) We're both pleased to meet you, "cousin" Darren. (Smirks:) Welcome to our family. (Suddenly hugs a stunned Darren, while Brian looks at this scene, boiling mad. Helen, Evelyn, Quinn, Daria, Amy, Rita, and even Ruth smirk at this, while Jake simply looks at the whole thing with a goofy, loving, "Aww, isn't that cute" look in his eyes. Erin stares up at her cousin for a moment, clearly liking the hug, surprising herself, then hesitantly backs off)

DARREN: (Gathers his bearings back, looks at Amy, smirks:) Uh, and I guess you're my Aunt Amy, the second pretty aunt here--?

AMY: (Walks up to Darren and hugs him, smiles:) Yes, Darren, and flattery will get you everywhere with me. (Thought v.o.: Oh, boy, this is my nephew? Damn, he's a hunk!) (Tenatively releases him, steps back and looks him over, smirks:) And it's just Amy, okay? (Darren nods, curses at himself imwardly because he forgot what Daria told him over the "aunt" thing) You ever thought of putting on a pied-piper suit and walking onto the campus of an all-woman's college? I'd bet you'd have them all eating out of your hand. Why, you could probably get them to strip willingly for you--

HELEN & EVELYN: --AMY! (Ruth smirks at this, the same for Daria, and Quinn and Erin--they all suspect that Amy is at least partially right on her barb, while Darren blushes)

After the rest of the customary greetings among the families, everyone went into the house, and the caterer came in soon after. The food was served, and then Darren was called on again to tell the story of the adoption. Evelyn and Ruth sat and watched their grandson, going through the same emotions that Helen and Jake had gone through went they first heard the story--sadness, horror, and anger. Rita was stunned, Erin was crying, and even Brian, who after he had heard the story, had a apologetic look on his face--he realized he had been very hard on Darren, feeling guilty as well as foolish, and decided to be civil to him from now on.

Amy was seriously PO'd. She also went through the same emotions as everyone else, but something awoke in her--a feeling of pure rage towards the now-deceased Turley, something she had never felt so strongly about before, even against her family in the past. Throughout the story, she had sat on the middle couch with Daria and Quinn, and had exchanged sad glances with both of them. Amy looked over at Darren, who was sitting with Evelyn and Ruth on the opposite couch, feeling completely sorry for him--although she suspected that he didn't want her pity--at least not in that way. Her nephew had gone through hell--and she was determined to help him in any way she could--if he allowed her to. She snapped out of her thinking just as Darren was finishing his story.

Darren, who had gotten up and stood in the middle of the living room during his story, looked around quietly, trying to gauge his relative's reactions. He didn't have to wait long, for Evelyn and Ruth got up and hugged him on either side, crying. Rita and Erin did the same, Brian looked away quietly for a second, then walked to him and shook his hand, promptly apologizing to Darren for the behavior Brian had treated Darren with, much to the silent pleasure of a pleased Erin. Amy simply walked up to Darren and looked up at him in the eye, holding the sides of his arms, and spoke.

AMY: (Looking and sounding serious:) Darren, I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say that even though we were denied a chance to get to know you after all these years, that you are a welcome addition to our family, and that we'll do everything we possibly can to make you feel that you belong here, as if you always had been--we're proud of you. (Smiles, hugs him warmly--Daria, after giving a quick look around, gives a tiny Mona Lisa smile, Quinn looks as if she's going to cry again, the same for Helen, and even Jake)

Darren looked down at his aunt, still holding her, and smiled back in kind--with a ton of guilt inside of him. Damn--why don't I just tell them? They'd understand why I couldn't, wouldn't they? He slowly shut his eyes, as if he were in pain, and was about to tell them the truth, when the doorbell rang. Darren quietly cursed it for the intrusion, and himself for not having the courage for saying something. Helen went to answer it while Darren looked back down at his aunt.

DARREN: (Looks at his aunt lovingly:) Thank you, Au--er, Amy. That really means a lot to me.

AMY: (With the same look:) And I meant every bit of it, Darren--(smirks:) I guess this means that I'll have to scrape up some more money for birthdays--

EVELYN: (Mildly annoyed, but chuckling:) Amy! (Slowly smiles:) I, for one, look forward to spoiling another one of my granchildren during the holidays!

DARIA: (Smirks, thought v.o.: You mean Darren can get some socks, bloomers, and other cheap crap too, Grandma?)

RUTH: (Cuts in, looks smug, waves her off:) Please, Evelyn--let's not give our grandson the illusion that you'll spoil him like that--

DARIA: (Smirks, thought v.o.: Oh no, not when you can give him used books, Grandma Ruth--)

RUTH: --when I can actually make your spoiling him look, well--rather mundane--(Evelyn frowns, walks up to Ruth, now in her face)

EVELYN: Are you saying that I can't out-spoil you when it comes to my grandchildren, you cow?

RUTH: (Now in Evelyn's face, frowning:) What do you think, you sow?

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: How now sow cow? Nah--it'll never catch on.)

DARREN: (Frantically looking at both:) Grandma Ruth, Grandma Evelyn, please--

QUINN: (Looks horrified, first at Jake, who's too scared to do anything, then Brian, who does the same, then at Erin and Rita, who step back and watch from the side, looking at each other uneasily, and then at Daria and Amy, who are both smirking:) Do something, Daria, Aunt Amy, this is horrible!

DARIA: I'll say--we didn't get the caterer to bring any popcorn. (Amy tries not to laugh)

QUINN: (Frowns, shouts:) Damn it, Daria--this isn't funny!

Both grandmothers heard Quinn, and stopped their bickering long enough to look at her, frowning.

EVELYN & RUTH: (At the same time:) Language, Quinn! (Quinn looks at both of them sheepishly, red-faced)

QUINN: Sorry, Grandma Ruth, Grandma Evelyn.

JAKE: (Looks at Quinn as well, frowns:) Yeah, language, Quinn! (Everyone looks at Jake for a moment, as if to say, "Boy, are you behind the times.")

Ruth and Evelyn turned back to each other, and were about to say something else, when Darren spoke, suddenly putting his arms around both of his grandmothers.

DARREN: (Looks back and forth between his grandmothers, smiles:) Can't we all try to get along, please? I was told that you both promised you would for my sake. (Both Ruth and Evelyn look at him for a moment, give quick glares at one another, then look back at Darren with a softer glance)

RUTH: (Sighs:) For your sake, I will, Darren.

EVELYN: (Sighs as well:) Very well, Darren--for your sake, I will, too.

AMY: (Cocks an eyebrow, impressed, leans over to Daria, talks in a low voice:) Wow. How does he do that?

DARIA: (Talks to Amy in the same voice, smirks:) Remind me to tell you about that later, Amy--he's damn good at diffusing situations.

VOICE: (From the entrance to the living room, sounding feminine, impressed:) You're quite good.

Everyone looked and saw a petite brunette standing beside Helen. The woman walked up to Darren to introduce herself.

WOMAN: (Extends her hand, looks at Darren a bit flushed:) Oh, um, hello, I'm Meg Rosata, Channel Four news. You're Darren Coverton, I assume--?

(Note to reader: Meg Rosata was first seen in "The Lost Girls")

DARREN: (Looks slightly alarmed, thought v.o.: Oh, great--the media.) (Shakes the woman's hand:) Er, yes I am, Miss--Ms.--

ROSATA: (Smirks:) Ms. Rosata, but you can call me Meg. (Glances at Darren a second more, then remembers why she's here, shakes her head slightly to clear it:) Oh, yes, I've heard from around our community about you, Mr.--

DARREN: (Gently cuts her off:) --Please call me Darren--

ROSATA: --Darren, and I thought it would be a great human-interest story for our viewers--you know, a long-thought-of dead son who has come back to his birth family.

HELEN: (Glares at Rosata for a moment, then looks at Darren:) I tried to tell Ms. Rosata--"Meg", that you weren't ready for an interview, Darren, but she insisted upon asking to hear from you herself.

DARREN: No, it's okay. (Looks at Rosata:) Meg, I'd like to give you your interview, but could it wait a few weeks, at least? (Thought v.o.: By that time, my secret should be out--I hope.) I've had some--troubles in my personal life, and I want to get to know my birth family a little better first--you know how it is.

ROSATA: (Pauses, considers:) All right, Darren, I guess I can wait, but would you promise me that you won't give any interviews to any other media outlets until after you talk to us first?

DARREN: That seems fair, Meg. (Reaches out to shake her hand, which she returns:) Deal?

ROSATA: Deal. It was a--pleasure to meet you, Darren--(Rosata looks at him with a slight dreamy gleam in her eye, which no one but Amy and Daria catch:) I--definitely look forward to the interview. (Hesitates:) Um, good bye, everyone, and thank you all for your time.

HELEN: You're welcome, Meg. I'll see you out. (Leaves with Rosata)

AMY: (To Daria in a low tone, smirks:) Did you see how that reporter behaved towards Darren? (Daria slowly nods) She was practically drooling at him! Well, it's official now--if I had any doubts after my little "woman's college" remark, it's long gone. My nephew and your brother can snap his fingers and get any girl he wants. He probably has a whole stash of them somewhere.

DARIA: (Looks at Amy uneasily, speaks in the same tone:) Um, well--that's not exactly true, Amy--

AMY: (Cocks an eyebrow at Daria:) Oh? What do you mean, Daria?

DARIA: Well, um--(Jake, who had slipped out of the living room, comes back with a box full of tapes, interrupts everyone, including Helen, who had just came back from seeing Meg Rosata out)

JAKE: (Grins like an idiot:) --Hey, everybody! I've got some of our tapes of Daria and Quinn while they were babies and little kids! Let's watch them!

(Note to reader: some of the tapes of baby Daria and Quinn were seen in "Monster")

DARREN: (Chuckles, with both of his grandmothers on each arm:) Hey! You didn't tell me about those tapes since I've been here!

HELEN: (Smiles, walks up beside Jake, puts her arms around his waist:) We wanted to wait until the rest of our families came to see you, son.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: And insure my total and complete humiliation.) (Rolls her eyes:) Oh, God. Amy, you don't have to see this--

AMY: (Smirks:) --And miss out on seeing you taking your first baby steps? (Daria gives her a tiny glare) Not on your life! C'mon! (Turns to go back to the living room with the others, thought v.o.: What did Daria mean by "not exactly"? Maybe I should ask her or Darren about that later.)

QUINN: (Delighted to get the attention, looks over to Erin, follows everyone:) Oh, I was so cute when I was little! Now, I know it's incredible, but I'm even cuter today! (Keeps talking to Erin while both of them go into the living room. Daria waits for a moment, sighs, and goes in. She is the last one to come, and sits beside Amy.)

After viewing the tapes, (much to Daria's consternation and Quinn's wild delight) the families had looked through the Morgendorffer's family photo album. (Note to reader: See some of the photos in "The Daria Diaries") Darren quietly looked through the photos while Ruth and Evelyn, who were sitting on both sides of him on the middle couch, argued about what clothes that Daria and Quinn were wearing in the photos, and who gave it to them for Christmas, birthdays, and the like. Darren, however, didn't hear them because he was looking at the lives of his birth family pass--without him there with them. When he heard at first about the photos, he thought seeing his sisters growing up wouldn't affect him, but now, going through them made him feel sad. He narrowed his eyes slightly, pretending to place himself as a little boy in those photos with his sisters--but he couldn't. Damn that Turley. Amy noticed him with a concerned look from him that bordered on mild depression. She took the initiative and spoke up.

AMY: Um, Helen--(this interrupts the bickering from Ruth and Evelyn:) why don't you show Mom and Rita around your house? They really haven't had a good look at it since they've been here.

HELEN: (Gasps:) Why, Amy--you're right! (Smirks at her mother and Rita:) Let me show you both around, Mother, Rita--let's start upstairs.

RUTH: (Gets up as well:) I'll go with you all so I can give Helen some decorating tips. (Looks around:) She certainly hasn't done anything since I've last been here, like she said she would! (Helen glares at Ruth with daggers as they go out of the living room, while Evelyn and Rita smirk at each other)

AMY: (Looks at Jake:) Jake, didn't you tell me the last time I was here about that car show you were at? (Jake nods) Didn't you have some sort of brochure with a lot of pictures in it from that show?

JAKE: (Becomes excited:) Hey, yeah! (Looks around, snaps his fingers:) It's in the den on the shelf above the desk!

AMY: Well, why don't you show Brian what's in it? I'm sure he likes cars--right, Brian?

BRIAN: (Shrugs:) Sure, I guess. (Gets up and goes out with Jake to the den)

Daria looked at her aunt curiously. It was obvious she was up to something by splitting up everyone, but she wondered what it was. Daria waited with a mischievous sense of guessing who she was going to send off next. She even noticed Darren giving Amy a curious look as well, trying to understand her motives.

AMY: (Looks at Quinn and Erin:) Quinn, didn't you say something to me about the newest issue of Waif magazine? Why don't you show Erin the latest fashions?

QUINN: Sure, I guess--it's up in my room. C'mon, cuz! (Pulls Erin along)

DARIA: (Smirks and watches Quinn and Erin go upstairs, waits until they're out of sight, turns to her aunt:) Okay, Amy, what's up? Why'd you send everybody all over our house?

DARREN: (Raises an eyebrow:) Yes, I'd like to know that, too.

AMY: Actually, I'm not quite finished yet. (Looks at Daria:) Daria, you told me Jane and her mom were coming in late tonight. Why don't you see if you can call her and find out what time she's coming, okay?

DARIA: (Caught a little off guard that Amy would want her gone so that Amy could talk to Darren alone, searches for words:) Um, sure--(looks at watch:) I'll see if she's there. (Leaves)

DARREN: (Smirks, watches Daria go, talks in a low tone:) Hmmm--for some reason, I never thought you'd get rid of Daria. (Looks back at Amy:) So, what do you want to talk to me about?

AMY: (Points to the door:) Outside. (Goes out, followed by Darren)

Both went out to Amy's car in the driveway. Amy went on the passenger side, and got in. She looked up at a perplexed Darren through the driver's side window, who was standing on the driver's side, and gently motioned for him to get behind the wheel, which he did. Amy gave him the keys, and he started up the car. She turned on a switch that folded down the red sportscar's soft top.

AMY: (Lies back in the seat, closes her eyes:) Drive. Anywhere. Just drive.

DARREN: (Looks back and backs out the car:) Eh--what about if anyone wants to know where we are?

AMY: (Opens one eye, notices Daria looking at them in the front window:) Oh, I'm sure someone will know we've gone someplace. Drive. (Shuts her eyes, lets her hair blow in the breeze)

DARREN: (Shrugs:) Sure. (Car drives off down the street) Now, what's up?

AMY: Oh, I just wanted to get you out of that place before your melancholy feelings took you down for the count.

DARREN: (Keeps his eyes ahead, but cuts them over to Amy occasionally, looking sheepish:) Um--I didn't think anyone noticed--

AMY: --How you were wishing what it could be like to be with your birth sisters and parents as a kid while you were looking at the videos and the photo albums? Hey, it could've been worse--(smirks:) you could've ended up like me in my childhood as a kid.

DARREN: Ah, Daria told me about what it was like for you in your childhood--something about your providing "color commentary" while your sisters fought one another for your mother's attention?

AMY: (Still laying back, eyes closed:) Jack straight. My point is--

DARREN: (Cuts her off:) --Your point is, it could have been worse for me. I told Daria the same thing when she compared her--our family with her friend Jane's. At least Daria and Jane had siblings--and so did you. Okay, maybe in some cases they could be a pain, but from what Daria told me, you and Helen have grown closer to each other recently. My point is, a brother or sister in my childhood could've made me feel a little less--lonely.

AMY: (Opens her eyes, looks at Darren concerned:) Weren't your, um, parents there for you? I mean since you were a only child, and I'd think they'd kind of--

DARREN: --Spoil me? Actually, they didn't do that. Oh, don't get me wrong, my (adopted) parents were there with me every step of the way, really. (Thought v.o.: And even the servants.) But with a brother or a sister, well, we could just hang out and talk, or (chuckles:) get into trouble together, and protect one another from our parent's punishments--

AMY: (Smirks:) --Or get each other into your parent's punishments. (Mimics her voice like a child's:) "I'm gonna tell mama and dada on you!" or "You're gonna get it so bad..." (Darren laughs)

DARREN: I stand corrected. (Grows quiet:) I guess it's just one more thing to add to my recently-turned-to-crazy life. (Amy looks at Darren sadly, then puts her hand on his in a reassuring manner. The hand she she pats is shifting the straight gear. She then smiles at him)

AMY: I'm sorry. (Pauses, lightens her tone:) That kind of reminds me--earlier today, Daria told me something that surprised me somewhat--you're not a "loverboy"? I'd think you'd be the one just about all the girls would go after.

DARREN: (Looks uneasy:) Well, you see, I don't want to be that type of a guy. I had only one girlfriend for about two years, and I--uh--well, loved her.

AMY: (Smirks:) Ah, now I see why you're not like that. I think that's very sweet--and very right. Well, I'd like to meet her, Darren--she's one lucky gal. (Considers something:) Hold it--you said "loved", past tense. Did something happen?

DARREN: (With a pained expression, hesitates on whether or not to tell Amy, then relents:) You can--say that. Look, Amy, I told Daria about what happened, so I guess I can tell you, but would you kind of keep it to yourself? Eventually, I'll tell everyone else, but what happened is sort of like talking about my (adopted) parents death--I generally don't--it happened not too long ago, you know.

AMY: (Looks at her nephew softly, understands:) Okay, Darren--sure, I promise.

DARREN: (Pauses:) Well, her name was Stephanie Reardon--

(Scene is back at the Morgendorffer home, at the same time)

Daria had just watched Darren leave with Amy. She felt a little miffed at being left behind, but then decided that maybe Amy wanted to just have a little time alone with Darren. Daria shrugged, then figured since she was alone for the moment (something Daria fully relished) she might as well really call Jane and see when she'd come in. Daria picked up the cell phone in the kitchen, and started to dial. She wondered briefly if Jane and her mother would spend their final day getting in some last-minute sightseeing, but the phone was answered.

VOICE: Yo!

DARIA: Hey, Jane--did I catch you at a bad time? I know I shouldn't have called this early, but--

JANE: --Nah. My mom and I were a'packing. (Pauses:) Kind to think of it, she seems to be more eager than me to get out of here. That 'ol pottery seminar's calling to her, I guess.

DARIA: When do you guys plan to leave?

JANE: About 3:00 p.m. our time--6:00 p.m. yours. After an hour layover in St. Louis, that means we'll arrive at the local airport about midnight your time--although the Forecast Channel says that some seriously nasty weather is headed your way. That could delay our plane for about an hour or more before landing, so maybe we'll get there about 1:00 a.m. your time if everything goes right.

DARIA: (Smirks:) 1:00 a.m.? Do you think Trent will be up at that time? He might be sleeping, and you guys'll end up at the airport waiting for him, or the phone's ringing from trying to call him might not get him awake. Maybe you should get Tom to be there for you.

JANE: (Pauses for a moment, sounding somewhat disappointed:) Don't start with me about Tom.

DARIA: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Huh? What do you mean? (Narrows eyes:) What'd he do now, Jane?

JANE: (Now sounding hurt:) It's what he didn't do that bothers me, Daria--I called yesterday, and what do you know--his answering machine is now working. I hear on it that he's going to be out of town with some of his prep-school buddies for a few days, saying he needed a vacation, and this was the only time his boss would let him go--even after I told him I'd be coming in for the weekend. He said he'd see me when he came in Monday. (Snorts:) This from the guy who practically begged me to give him another chance, remember?! Why couldn't he have taken some of his vacation with me? He knew when I was coming in! Sure, I went out here with my mom on my vacation, but don't you think that was kind of different?

DARIA: (Considers this for a moment:) Well, you've got a point there. (Pauses, shrugs:) Maybe that was his logic, or something, you know, like, "If she can spend some time with her mom, why not me with my friends?"

JANE: Yeah, but now? Daria, this is our relationship at stake, you know, not some sort of guy-oriented excursion! Why should I give Tom the time of day anymore? (Pauses:) Don't tell me you're still defending Tom?

DARIA: (Defensive tone:) It's not that, Jane--(sighs:) out of fairness, he did tell you he'd be in Monday, and he was really relieved when I told him you'd talk to him. (Pauses:) Look, just wait for his explanation when he returns, okay? (Thought v.o.: And he'd damn well better have a good one--I'm getting really tired of this crap.)

There was a very long pause on the other end, then Jane spoke.

JANE: (In a quiet but cold tone:) One--more--damn--chance--Daria--that's it. (Gives a long sigh, lightens tone:) Look, enough about me--how's your little "Family Reunion with the Big Bro" going?

DARIA: (Shrugs:) Eh, it's actually going okay with Darren here to calm everyone down. The boy has really shown his stuff.

JANE: (Sounding curious:) Oh? What'd he do?

DARIA: He's just been able to make my grandmas act civil to each other, my aunt Rita to go ga-ga over him, the same for my cousin Erin, and he even made Brian jealous over the way Erin reacted over him. (Pauses:) I think Darren's even won over my aunt Amy, who's out with him now in her car talking about who-knows-what.

JANE: Wow--even your heroine, the "Great Aunt Amy"? I'm definitely looking forward to meeting your bro. (Snickers, sounding half-serious:) Does he have a girlfriend?

DARIA: (Cocks an eyebrow for an instant, then guesses Jane is just joking:) Ho-ho. You just keep that eye of yours on Tom, okay?

JANE: (Snorts:) Yeah--what little I have of it left, sure. Speaking of eyes, are you keeping your's on Trent? (Daria rolls her eyes, shakes her head slowly:) How's he and Mystik Spiral doing with their newfound "wealth"?

DARIA: They bought the "new" used Tank a few days ago, keeping even the same color, as well as their new instruments. Trent called here yesterday and said he and the band are finishing up on a new song that will "thank" their "Mysterious Benefactor", and will debut at the Zen tomorrow night, so you'll be able to listen to it then. (Deadpan:) Boy, I can't wait for the world "premiere" of that little ditty.

JANE: (In her usual playful scolding motherly mode:) Now, now, Daria. Trent called me and my mom yesterday, too, and said he and Mystik Spiral have really been working on this song--in fact, he's very excited about it. (Pauses:) Geez, I wonder who this person is? Ya got any ideas, "Shorty"?

DARIA: (Sighs:) Afraid not, "Stick Girl"--although I wonder if this guy--or girl--has some sort of motive in doing this. No offense to Mystik Spiral, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd be singled out for this.

JANE: Hey, somebody might just have a good heart--I mean, it's possible, right?

DARIA: Maybe--I don't know. Perhaps it's just my cynical nature that is rearing it's ugly head that's made me wonder about this in that way. (Hears some voices:) Uh-oh, family chaos is approaching. I'd better get off. (Pauses:) Say, maybe Darren and I can pick you guys up if Trent can't make it to the airport.

JANE: Hmm--tell you what--if Trent's not there when mom and I come in, I'll make a beeline to the payphones and call you, okay?

DARIA: Roger.

JANE: Later. (Hangs up)

Daria had just clicked off the phone when Helen, Evelyn, Rita, and Ruth walked into the kitchen. Helen was scowling at Ruth, who was sneering.

RUTH: --And that's what I'd do in the living room. Now as for the kitchen here, I'd definitely change the color of those ugly drapes! (Helen has had just about enough when Evelyn speaks)

EVELYN: (Looks at the draped window above the sink:) Yes, Ruth--as much as it pains me to say this--I have to agree with you. (Helen looks at her mother, stunned) Those drapes are the wrong color. How about yellow?

RITA: (Jumps in, figures this is a good way of siding with her mother against Helen for some brownie points:) I favor gold. Yellow's too loud--

DARIA: (Deadpan, smirks:) --How about zig-zag orange polka dots with vertical little bananas on a tangerine and purple checkerboard pattern that is in the shape of lightning?

HELEN: (Glares, shocked:) Daria!

EVELYN: (Considers, looks up:) No, dear--that's too loud, too.

RUTH: (Also looks up, considers:) Hmmm--I agree.

RITA: (Does the same as the other two:) Oh, most definitely too loud, Daria. (Helen slowly closes her eyes, puts her hand on her forehead and sighs, while Daria smirks even wider)

EVELYN: (Looks around:) Where's my grandson and your aunt Amy, Daria?

RUTH: (Jumps in before Daria can say something, slightly frowns at Evelyn:) Don't you mean our grandson, Evelyn?

EVELYN: (Rolls her eyes:) All right, Ruth--our grandson!

DARIA: He and aunt Amy went out in her car, Grandma Evelyn. They didn't say where they were going.

RUTH: (Suddenly glares at Evelyn:) Leave it to your weirdo daughter to take my grandson out on a joyride to God-knows-where!

EVELYN: (Narrows her eyes at Ruth:) How dare you call my daughter "weird"! She's a grown woman who may be a little strange--(Daria gives a slight frown at Evelyn, and Rita smirks) but I seriously doubt that she'd ever let something terrible happen to her own nephew! (Realizes something:) And I thought Darren was our grandson!

RUTH: (Waves Evelyn off:) I don't know if Darren should be your grandson now--he might take up some of your family's bad habits!

EVELYN: (Now becomes furious:) WHAT-IN-THE-HELL DO YOU MEAN--

Helen was about to scream, Rita had stepped back to see the fireworks, and Daria was about to make some microwavable popcorn (she remembered they actually had some, and did not have to wonder anymore if the caterers had any) when Darren and Amy walked into the kitchen. Ruth and Evelyn looked at Darren and both rushed up to him, hugging and kissing him on the cheek. Silently snapping her fingers, and mouthing "Damn", Daria put the small pack of popcorn back into the cabinet.

DARREN: (Overwhelmed, looks down at his grandmothers:) Whoa! What's going on?

RUTH: (While caressing his face, in a concerned tone:) Oh, my grandson, did she (glares at Amy:) try to drive you into a telephone pole, or something?

AMY: (Smirks, decides to go into sarcastic mode:) No I didn't, but I did try to get him to spin wheelies all over town to incur the wrath of the cops. (Ruth frowns at Amy, while Daria smirks, and Darren tries not to laugh)

DARREN: (In a soothing tone, gently holds Ruth's hands, much to the consternation of Evelyn:) Calm down, Grandma Ruth, I'm fine, really. Besides, I was doing the driving. We just talked, that's all. (Looks at Amy, smiles:) Amy wanted to let me drive her car, and it was a blast. Great horsepower under the hood! (Amy smirks) We came back in when we saw that the sky was starting to get dark.

DARIA: I heard that the Forecast Channel has predicted some really bad weather for this evening. (Smirks:) You might be stuck here overnight if you stay here for a couple of hours more.

RUTH: (Looks over at Evelyn, uneasily:) Well, what do you want to do, Evelyn?

EVELYN: (Considers:) I think we should leave before it comes in. (Looks at Darren, puts her hand on his face:) Now, I'll be back here again soon, Darren.

RUTH: (Nudges past Evelyn, does the same thing:) And so will I, sweetie. (Hugs him)

DARREN: (Smiles:) Well, if you two really have to go, I'll miss you. But, I'll be here until about two weeks before I have to register at Eastward College for the fall semester.

HELEN: (Dumbfounded:) Do you all have to go so soon? We could make some room, and--(Daria shuts her eyes and slowly sighs. Darren catches this, and tries not to laugh, while Amy, who also sees Daria, smirks)

EVELYN: Now, now, Helen--I have to be back home by tomorrow for some painters. They said that is the only day can fit my house in for a few months. Rest assured, I'll try to come back before Darren leaves.

RUTH: The same goes for me, Darren. I have a flower show to go to tomorrow. (Looks around:) Helen, will you call two cabs for us, please? (After a moment, Helen grabs her cell phone and starts to call)

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Now I see, it's all in the family, this "love-em-and-leave-'em thing". Gee, I look forward to doing that to my family come Graduation Day from good 'ol Lawndale High) (Leaves with everyone into the living room)

Jake and a bored-looking Brian came out of the den, with Jake showing his Middleton College pictures to Brian. Both walked into the living room.

JAKE: (Points in the book, excited:) Those were the days, Brian m'man--(looks off, reminisces:) me and Helen, Coyote, Willow, Ryvre, Lavendar, Serenity, Mook, and even Sebastian! Us against the world--(narrows eyes, goes into ranting mode:) and away from my Old Man! (Sees Ruth:) Yeah, Mom--dad put both of us through some hell didn't he?!

(Note to reader: Coyote and Willow come from the episode "That Was Then, This Is Dumb", and Sebastian, Ryvre, Lavendar, Serenity, and Mook come from C.E. Forman's "retrolarious" fanfic "Fireworks")

RUTH: (Gives Jake a sympathetic look:) That he did, Jakey--that he did.

Quinn and Erin came downstairs, chatting and giggling.

QUINN: --And that style looked so silly on her, you know what I mean, Erin?

ERIN: (Rolls her eyes:) Tell me about it, Quinn. That tube dress looked like a rag on her with that dumb peach color.

DARIA: (Deadpan, walks up to them:) But I thought her shoes set the dress off perfectly.

QUINN: (Snorts:) Come off of it, Daria--the shoes were dreadful--(realizes something:) hey! You're just kidding me, aren't you?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Never let it be said that I ever did that, sis.

About ten minutes later, everyone said their goodbyes when the two yellow cabs, driven by nervous cab drivers from the same cab company who had drawn straws when they had heard who they were picking up, (because the previous driver had warned his fellow drivers of what to expect) drove up to the front of the Morgendorffer home. Rita grabbed her nephew in a vice-like hug, and kissed Darren on the cheek, saying she looking forward to seeing him again. Erin did the same, but Brian simply shrugged and smiled sheepishly when he saw it this time, and shook Darren's hand. Rita, Erin, and Brian got into their cab in the front. (The driver in this cab crossed his heart and looked up and said a quick prayer)

Ruth saved Darren for last when she said goodbye, hugging him, and kissing him on the cheek. She then got into the back of the rear cab. (The driver of this cab sighed in relief, believing that Ruth was going to be the only one he was taking back to the motel. He looked at the other driver in front of him and smirked.) After giving her own hug and kiss to Darren, Evelyn informed Amy that she was going back with Ruth so Evelyn could "set Ruth straight" on a few things about the "remarks" Ruth had made about Evelyn's family. Without hearing from Amy, Evelyn promptly got into the back with a surprised Ruth and started to argue with her, much to the now-horrified rear cab driver's chagrin. (The cab driver in the front looked in his rear view mirror and gave his own smirk at the driver in the rear. Daria looked at the cab driver in the rear, smirked, and gave a slow, drawn-out motion with her thumb going across her throat, like a pirate gives the "cut-throat" signal. The driver in the rear glared at Daria for a second before following the other cab away. Amy then got into her car, and winked at Darren, who smiled, and slightly blushed. She then backed her car into the street and took off. Helen, Jake, Quinn, and Daria looked at Darren, inquisitive.

DARIA: (Eyebrow cocked:) What in the hell was that all about, bro?

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Aunt Amy was giving me some encouragement, sis--that's all. We just talked about a few--personal things. (Starts to go back into the house with the others)

HELEN: (Smirks, half-joking:) Should I be worried about some "competition", son? (Daria rolls her eyes at this, remembering the last time Amy was here)

DARREN: (Puts his arm around his birth mother, smirks:) Nah--everything's kosher.

QUINN: (Suddenly grabs her brother's other arm:) C'mon, bro--let me show you what fashions I think are gonna be in for the fall--(pulls Darren away from a surprised Helen)

DARIA: --The "fall" of "skorts", or the "fall" of "schrungies"? What will you do--what will you do? (Darren chuckles)

QUINN: (Annoyed:) Ha, Daria. (Pulls Darren into the house)

JAKE: (Shouts after Darren:) Hey, Big Guy--don't forget about watching the 'ol baseball game with me after you talk to Quinn!

DARREN: (Being pulled up the stairs with Quinn:) I woooon't! (Goes out of sight upstairs, while Jake goes into the living room)

HELEN: (Looks up the stairs while walking inside with the others:) Well, Quinn certainly seems taken with her brother--

DARIA: --Don't you mean he's being "taken" from us? When he comes out, he'll never be the same again after she finishes boring him to death with her clothes crap.

HELEN: (Frowns:) Now, Daria--Darren has been very supportive of your sister in helping her get the feel of what to expect at Circa for her internship, fashion-wise. You have to admit Quinn is becoming more determined about her grades because of her brother's dogged encouragement.

DARIA: (Grudgingly admits, sighs:) I suppose so. I just hope Quinn doesn't wear him out while Darren's doing it.

HELEN: (Smirks:) I wouldn't underestimate Darren, sweetie--he held up fine after our relatives came to visit us, right?

DARIA: (Stares at her mother for a moment, ponders:) Hmm--you got me there, Mom--anybody who can survive "F-Day" is okay in my book--speaking of which, I've going to read one up in my room. (Goes up the stairs)

HELEN: (Watches her go up:) All right, Daria. (Turns to go into the living room to catch up on a little work Eric wants her to do while finishing up her vacation, then pauses, speaks in a low voice to herself:) "F-Day"? What's that? Oh, well...(shrugs, goes into living room) (Outside in the distance, thunder is heard)

(The scene is Darren's room, about 11:00 p.m.)

Darren came in, almost exhausted. Between his relative's "visit", (chaos included) Quinn's excitement over the newest fashion craze, and Jake's constant wild hollering at the TV screen during the baseball game (what was shown between the power outages from the ferocious storm outside), Darren found himself in a continual whirlwind of activity, and was grateful that the day was coming to an end. While watching the game, Daria, who had to stop reading occasionally because of the power outages, told him he might have to get up in a few hours if Daria's friend Jane and her mother called to pick them up at the airport, but that was no big deal. All-in-all, an--interesting, if not--fasinating day. He plopped down face-first on the bed, ready to sleep, when his cell phone rang. He looked at it, cocked an eyebrow, and reached to answer it. Probably Curtis. Great--what would he tell his best friend about still not telling the Morgendorffers who he really was? He pondered that for a moment, then decided to definitely tell them tomorrow, so he wouldn't technically be lying to Curtis when he would tell him that he did already. His birth family had a right to know what who he was. Darren sat up on the bed, took a deep breath, and picked up his cell phone, clicking it on.

DARREN: (Talking wearily:) Yeah, Curtis?

VOICE: Actually, Darren, this is not your friend Curtis.

DARREN: (Surprised:) Woo? (Is suddenly startled for a moment from the sound of thunder outside)

WOO: (Hears the thunder from over the phone:) Having quite a summer storm, I see.

DARREN: Yes, a real doozy of a storm, Woo--there's already some flooding near Lawndale--we're okay, though.

WOO: Ah, good--did I call at a bad time? You told me that you had your relatives over today when I last talked to you--is anyone there with you?

DARREN: (Now more alert from the thunder and from talking to Woo:) No, everyone's gone home, and I'm in my room alone--what's up? Found something?

WOO: (Grows quiet, takes on a serious tone:) You might say that--brace yourself, Darren--

About several minutes later, Darren stared at his phone in utter disbelief, his mouth agape. This couldn't be happening. Had to be some sort of nightmare--that's it--when he pinched himself, he'd wake up from it. Wake up, damn it--wake up. First Stephanie. Second, the death of whom he thought were his birth parents. Third, learning he was adopted. Fourth, the way his "adoption" took place. Now, fifth--this. He continued to stare at the phone for a moment more until Woo's shouts shook him out of his daze.

WOO: Darren?! Darren, are you still there?

DARREN: (Weakly:) Yes, Woo--I'm still here. This is just not possible--this--this "Sanchez" murdering my parents? Hired to make it look like an accident? (Voice grows low, speaks through clenched teeth, angry:) Who--why--how--?

WOO: I don't know, Darren, but as I said, if the police or the NTSB are told, it could alert the person or persons who've done this go after Sanchez, and silence him before we can get to him. Our best hope is finding Sanchez, confronting him, and getting the information out of him. (Pauses:) You said you haven't told the Morgendorffers who you are--maybe it's best if you don't until we find Sanchez because it could drag them into this if that person or persons come after you.

DARREN: (Frustrated tone:) I--I can't believe this, Woo! I was going to tell my birth family who I was tomorrow, and now you're telling me I shouldn't because of this? (Narrows eyes, realizes:) Back up a moment--are you saying that the Morgendorffers could be in danger?

WOO: (Hesitates:) Possibly, Darren, (adds quickly:) though I don't believe they could be in it directly--who knows you're in Lawndale?

DARREN: (Thinks:) Let's see--Curtis, obviously, my aunt Millie, Elenor, Claude, and, oh, yes, my uncle Will. No one else knows, I'm positive. (Becomes alarmed:) Do you think anyone could come after them as well as the Morgendorffers and me?

WOO: (After being silent for a moment:) Not your friend Curtis or your servants--they don't poise a threat, and now when I think about it, the Morgendorffers obviously the same. (Darren breathes a small sigh of relief:) Your aunt Millie isn't much into the business, so I can't fathom someone going after her. This is all about getting Appleton Industries, I'm sure.

DARREN: So it comes down to me and uncle Will. (Eyes light up, alarmed:) Maybe I should warn him--

WOO: (Sounding alarmed himself:) No, Darren--(calms down:) ah, remember, we don't want to give the person or persons who've done this any opportunity to know that someone knows what they've done. If your uncle finds out, er--he could be on pins and needles like you are, and if whoever did this is on the inside of Appleton, will know by your uncle's sudden change in behavior that something's up. Let us find Sanchez first, and then we can warn your uncle.

DARREN: (Ponders:) Well, okay, Woo--if that's what you think best. (Grows solemn:) I guess--I guess I can keep this to myself for now, and wait to tell the Morgendorffers later.

WOO: Thank you, Darren--and we're checking out Sanchez's hangouts. We're going to be moving as fast as we can on this, so hang in there. Take care.

DARREN: Sure, Woo--and do whatever it takes, okay?

WOO: Of course, Darren. Good night.

DARREN: Good night, Woo. (Clicks off phone) (Thought v.o.: I can't tell anyone about this--not without dragging them into it, and possibly putting their lives in danger. I'm alone, all alone.) (Lays back on the bed, turns off lamp light beside his bed, stares at the ceiling, wide-eyed, still in shock. The thunder, lightning, and heavy rain is still going on outside while Darren is doing this)

(Scene changes to Woo's office, Los Angeles)

Woo hung up the phone and turned to David, a husky, blond-haired, blue-eyed tanned man with a goatee. David was reading the business section of the paper.

WOO: (Cold, serious sound in his voice:) We've got our work cut out for us, David--but at least we have some place to start--(points at the paper:) Leonard Potter. First thing in the morning, I'm going to pay Appleton's newest West coast legal head a little visit--and find out what in the hell is going on with why William Appleton brought him out here. (David nods his head in the affirmative)

(End Part Three)

Go to Part 4 ******************************************************************************