1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Chapter 3-Establishing Connections

As the sun was setting, the rental car containing Woo and Darren made its way back down the freeway to Los Angeles. Woo, while at the wheel, kept sneaking concerned glances at Darren, who looked as if he could murder someone.

WOO: You're sure you're all right, Darren?

DARREN: (Glares at Woo, snappy response:) For the one-hundreth time, Woo, YES I AM, DAMN IT! (Looks suddenly remorseful, lays head back in seat and closes his eyes in pain:)--I-I'm sorry I snapped at you, Woo. (Puts hand on forehead:) Oh God, I feel as if my life has fallen apart. I can't believe what that slime Turley told me, and then losing my temper like that, and then I--

WOO: (Cuts him off:) --It's okay, Darren. Anyone would've reacted the way you did when you heard what Turley said. Hell, I was tempted to go after him myself. But look--at least you know who your birth parents are now. You can tell them you're alive. I'm going to call my office and see if I can get the ball rolling on finding them. (Picks up cell phone and begins to call:) After we visit the cemetery, I'll drop you off at the Zenith and you can rest up, and the first thing in the morning, we'll go to my office and see if something came up. I guess you'll probably want to call back at your home once we get back to the hotel. (Is silent for a moment, then speaks again:) That was really a very generous thing you did in allowing Mrs. Turley to keep that money, and her agreeing not to tell anyone about your being there was just as generous.

DARREN: (Looks out the window while still lying back in the seat, in a bitter low voice:) Yeah, thanks. It wasn't her fault that her husband is a piece of sub-human filth. I mean, why should she have to pay for what he did? (Looks up ahead:) Woo, there's the exit Turley told us about.

The car turned off of the freeway and went down a country road for about five miles. It came to a tiny, abandoned cemetery that was surrounded by an open field. Darren got out of the car alone and went down a small embankment that lead to it, and saw that weeds had grown over almost all of the markers. A gentle breeze filled the air, blowing the weeds. Darren proceeded to carefully look for a particular marker. He cautiously pushed the weeds away from each marker until he came to a very small one, the one he was looking for, near the edge of the cemetery. He looked at the stone marker and put his finger on it, narrowing his eyes to get a better look at it in the approaching twilight. He cursed himself for not having a flashlight, but he could see the inscription on the marker clear enough. Darren took on a sad visage at the message:

To the son we never knew-

always know that we loved you.

-Jake and Helen Morgendorffer

(Scene changes to the Appleton estate, about two-and-a-half hours later)

As Elenor came into the study to ask if Millie wanted anything before Elenor went to bed, she heard the phone ring. Millie was reading The Diary of Anne Frank and got the phone, waving Elenor off.

MILLIE: Appleton residence.

VOICE: Aunt Millie?

MILLIE: (Eyes light up:) Darren, is that you? Where are you, and why hadn't you called earlier?

DARREN: (Quietly chuckles:) I'm sorry about that, Aunt Millie--it's been a long day. I'm calling from the Zenith, and I--found out who my birth parents are.

About this time, the front door rang, and Elenor went to see who it was. Millie looked at Elenor leave for the door.

DARREN: (Pauses:) Aunt Millie? Hello? Are you there?

MILLIE: Sorry, Darren, the doorbell rang and I was distracted for a moment. (Shocked:) Did you say that you found out who your birth parents are? Are they alive? Who--

DARREN: --I don't know if they are, Aunt Millie. Look, I'll tell you more about it tomorrow. For now, I'm tired and hungry. I'm going to eat, and then get some sleep. I'll call you tomorrow and leave a message, Auntie. Goodbye. (Hangs up curtly)

MILLIE: (Surprised look on her face:) Darren? Hello, Darren?

William and Elenor walked into the study to hear the end of Millie's call.

WILLIAM: (Looking "concerned":) Millie, was that Darren? What did he say? Where is he at?

MILLIE: (Clicks off the cell phone, looking perplexed with a frown on her face:) He's at the Zenith Hotel, William. He sounded a bit--strained. He said he found out who his birth parents are.

WILLIAM: (Genuinely stunned along with Elenor:) He did? That fast? Who are they?

MILLIE: He didn't say, William. He said he'll tell me about it tomorrow.

WILLIAM: (While hiding his disappointment:) I see. Well, I just stopped by on my way from a late night at work to see if you heard anything from Darren. I guess I wasted my time coming up here. Look, let me know when Darren calls. I'm as--worried about his welfare as you are. (Laughs uneasily:) That P.I. I hired really works quick, eh? (Elenor rolls her eyes)

MILLIE: (Looking distracted:) --What?--I suppose, William. I hope nothing's wrong with Darren. (Looks at her watch:) William, it's almost midnight! You came up here from New York City just to ask about Darren? Why didn't you just call?

WILLIAM: (Looks amused, waves Millie off:) Relax, Millie--I took the helicopter. It's just a forty minute ride from the city up to here, and it's waiting for me now on the helipad.

MILLIE: (Raised eyebrow:) Isn't that a bit much, William?

WILLIAM: (While leaving, chuckles:) Nothing that we rich people can't afford not to do, dear sister. Be sure to keep me informed about our nephew. Don't bother seeing me out, Elenor. (Elenor looks relieved she doesn't have to)

ELENOR: (Looks back at Millie, concerned:) Do you think Master Darren is all right, Mistress Millie? Forgive me for saying so, but for some reason, I have the impression that you're worried about him.

MILLIE: (Resigned look on her face:) I am, Elenor, but I'm sure that whatever it is, Darren will be able to handle it. (Thought v.o.: For someone who just found out who his birth parents are, Darren didn't sound too happy. I just hope this is something he really wants to do.)

William sprinted out to the helicopter on the helipad near the mansion and climbed in. He looked a bit agitated, a look that didn't escape Benny, who was waiting in the helicopter with the pilot.

WILLIAM: (To the pilot:) Take us back to the helipad on top of the Appleton Tower, pilot.

PILOT: Yessir, Mr Appleton. (The helicopter lifts off)

BENNY: (Raising his voice high enough to be heard over the helicopter's noise, but low enough for the pilot not to hear:) Boss, you look a little worried. Did something happen concerning Darren and his (snickering:) "real" parents?

WILLIAM: (In the same level of tone as Benny, watching the pilot:) Yes, Benny, and it may not be good for us. Woo apparently did one hell of a job in finding the names of my "nephew's" birth parents, and before you ask, I didn't get their names. I was hoping it would take awhile for Darren to make any sort of contact with them, but it looks like he could soon.

BENNY: (Grins sinisterly:) Boss, I could do something to slow him down--

WILLIAM: (Sharply:) No. I don't want you to do anything. If my "nephew" is as smart as I think he is, he could suspect something amiss, and put me at the top of his list. We'll do nothing for now. (Grins, gets an idea:) Now when I think about it, if anything, this may help us even more. Darren's finding his parents sooner rather than later could keep him occupied with getting to know them sooner, and maybe longer. Who knows? Maybe he'll even become so attached to them, he'll let me have the company outright, wanting to stay with his "real family". (Smirks:) Why, I'd probably feel so happy, I'd even consider allowing Darren to live.

BENNY: (Looks slightly depressed at this last remark, then raises an eyebrow:) And if he finds them and they don't want him or vice versa?--

WILLIAM: (Frowns:) --Then, Benny, we may have to move up our timetable on eliminating my "nephew", investigation or no investigation. I'm sure Darren would want to meddle in company business if things don't work out for him, and that simply won't do, oh, no, I think not. For his sake, he'd better get to know them real well when--or if he finds them.

(The Morgendorffer residence, the following morning:)

Helen and Jake were preparing to go to work, while Daria , who was eating cereal, and Quinn, who was eating a grapefruit, sat at the kitchen table and watched them. Both Morgendorffer sisters were still in their nightclothes.

(Note to reader: Daria's nightclothes here are her regular blue t-shirt and yellow shorts. She also has the "Mark Twain" pullover pajama shirt from the episode "Lane Miserables". Quinn's nightclothes are what she wore in "The Big House" episode, a yellow pullover pajama shirt, with a pink bunny on the front)

HELEN: (While getting her briefcase:) Daria! Quinn! Why don't you put on some regular clothing? Surely you two aren't going to stay dressed like that all day while your father and I are gone?

DARIA: (Sarcastic deadpan, of course:) Oh, I don't know, Mom--I'm thinking of going out dressed like this. (Looks at Quinn, smirks:) It's the new style, you know.

QUINN: (Panicked, holds both hands to the side of her face:) It is? OH, NO! I gotta check in my newest issue of Waif magazine on this! (Talks to herself:) Damn it, Sandi, why didn't you tell me? (Rushes away from the table)

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Quinn, Daria was just--oh, why do I even bother? (Daria smirks at this) Daria, promise me that you'll not tease your sister mercilessly again while we're at work.

DARIA: Hey, I gotta do something to relieve my boredom, but, okay, Mom. If Quinn starts something, however, all bets are off. (Sinister smile:) Then it's every gal for herself. (Resumes eating)

Before Helen could respond to this, Jake ran into the kitchen. He was still tying his necktie, and at the same time getting some coffee. He promptly spilled the hot coffee on his ankles.

JAKE: OWWW! DAMN IT ALL TO HELL! Stupid coffee! Wellnotimetochangesocksandshoes!Gottagettoworkandtalktoanewclient! I'llpickupsomethingontheway!Goodbyedear!(Kisses Helen:) Seeyakiddo! TellQuinnIsaidbye!(Grabs briefcase, rushes out the door, starts up Lexus, and is gone, screeching tires in the process, and is heard in the distance, "Get the hell out the way, you wreckless bastards!")

Daria and Helen simply looked at each other, speechless for a moment.

DARIA: Dad has just broken his own record. (Pulls out a pad and pencil, begins to write--see this also on "The Misery Chick") Let's see now--compared to yesterday, there's a difference of--

HELEN: (Sighs, sits down at the table:) --Daria, please. (Daria stops writing) What are you going to do today, sweetie?

DARIA: (While eating her cereal:) I'll probably go to the library again, or just watch some Sick, Sad World on TV, or go up in my room and scheme to do some evil. Hell, who knows? My plate's quite full today. (Raises an eyebrow:) Uh--Mom, why aren't you scampering to work like Dad? Usually, you'd be gone by now.

HELEN: (While eating a cold Pop Tart:) Believe it or not, Daria, the workload at the firm is a bit light today, with most everyone out for vacation. I can come in a little late.

DARIA: Ripley, eat your tart out.

HELEN: (Quietly:) Actually, I wanted to use this time to thank you, Daria.

DARIA: (Startled slightly:) Huh? What do you mean?

HELEN: (Finishes eating Pop Tart:) Daria, ever since you saw your friend Jane and her mother Amanda off, you've been here for your father and me when we needed you for anything. I'd guess you were worried about how we were after telling you and Quinn about losing the baby. Honey, thank you for not holding that against us, and talking to Quinn about the baby, even with a--(looks for words:) "financial incentive". (Helen smiles at Daria with a loving look)

DARIA: (Becoming uncomfortable:) Er, Mom, don't get the wrong idea, here. I was bored, and Jane is gone on her vacation with her mom. Usually, I'd be somewhere else with her, and not here, okay?

HELEN: (Smirks, gives a "Yeah, sure, right, if you say so" look:) Whatever you say, dear. Speaking of vacations, your father and I want to get with you and Quinn and talk about going to the mountains or the beach tonight over dinner. We'll both be off for next week. Do you have any ideas?

DARIA: (In her deadpan mode:) How about we just stay here and pretend we're in both places at once? It can really save on fuel costs. We can get one of those large posters of the beach and of the mountains, some of those fifty-pound bags of sand, and those phony boulders that those movie studios use, and we can put them in the living room and--

HELEN: (Sighs, getting up:) --Goodbye, Daria. There's frozen microwavable lasagna in the freezer for you and Quinn for lunch. (Smiles:) Thank you again, sweetie. (Leaves out the front door)

Daria stared at the door, and then frowned for a moment.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Damn it, Daria, you're getting soft. First your family, then Jane and Tom. You gotta get back your hard edge. I hope I can hold out till Jane gets back. If I don't, I'll go crazy and start smiling and wanting to be with my family, which just won't do, no siree bob. What can I do in the meantime to get back my edge--?)

Daria's thoughts were interrupted by an angry Quinn entering the kitchen and waving the current issue of Waif magazine around.

QUINN: (Frowns:) DAMN IT, DARIA! I don't see anything in here about wearing nightclothes outside the house! You lied to me! You brains have nothing else better to do than ruin us beautiful and popular people! (In a disgusted voice:) God, Daria, you're such a loser!

DARIA: (Gets a sinister smirk on her face, thought v.o.: That's the ticket!) Why, Quinn--are you trying to start something with me? (Begins to walk toward Quinn, cracking her knuckles:) I do hope you are. (Quinn turns pale, and begins to back up in fear from the approaching menace that is her sister Daria)

(The front of the Zenith Hotel, Los Angeles, about three hours later:)

The rental car Woo drove came in front of the regal-looking Zenith Hotel, driving around a circular driveway that surrounded a spectacular, marbled, tall, and rounded three-level water fountain with a statue in the middle. The statue was of two winged lions that were face-to-face, poised on their hind legs, with the water shooting through their mouths. The car stopped at the foot of the hotel's rounded steps, where there was a doorman waiting alongside Darren, who was carrying a small briefcase. The doorman opened the car's door and Darren got in, then the car drove off.

WOO: Good morning, Darren. (Whistles:) That's some place you're staying at. What's the rate per night again?

DARREN: (Sighs, sounding resigned, even looking a little embarassed:) Good morning, Woo, and it cost a thousand. I wish my uncle Will would've chosen a less-expensive place. The last thing I need is to draw attention to myself.

WOO: Well, I guess your uncle is used to that sort of living away from home. Look, I've got some great news that'll cheer you up.

DARREN: (Looking very hopeful:) What's up? Are my birth parents alive?

WOO: (Grins:) Yes, Darren. Helen and Jake Morgendorffer are alive, and live in a place called Lawndale, a suburban town. I'll tell you more about it in my office. You also better brace yourself--you have two younger sisters.

DARREN: (Shocked, wide-eyed:) I--have--two--

WOO: (Still grinning:) --Younger sisters, Darren--full-blooded younger sisters.

Darren sat back in the seat, shellshocked, simply staring forward wordlessly. Woo smirked slightly, and said nothing. Neither man said anything else the rest of the way to Woo's office, only twenty minutes from the hotel by the Santa Monica Freeway. The car came up to a rather plain-looking, two-story, red brick building in a quiet, well-to-do neighborhood of turn-of-the-century homes. The windows were tinted in a green hue, as were the front glass doors, which read Woo Private Detective Agency in white letters. There was a small lawn in the front, with the grass freshly cut. Beyond the lawn was a sidewalk. Woo parked the car in the very front, and both men got out. Darren stared at the building for a moment, then spoke.

DARREN: Hmm--not bad, Woo. This looks like a nice place.

WOO: (Chuckles:) If you say "nice" by meaning "plain", then I accept your compliment.

DARREN: (Trying to sound apologetic:) Oh, no, Woo, I meant it looks really nice. (Pauses:) Actually, I kind of expected--well--(voice fades off)

WOO: (Laughs:) --I believe the word you're looking for is "dump", and I can't blame you for thinking that. Most of my clients think of those dime store novels in which we detectives are gumshoes who work in a run down office that has a ceiling fan, and junked-up furniture. Don't feel too bad, Darren, for you won't be the last person I expect to have that stereotypical image of my field.

DARREN: (Looks back at the building:) I'm curious Woo--this seems to be an awfully large place for what you do. You're not the only one working here, I assume---?

WOO: Oh, no, Darren. I have a secretary, and five people that work under me. Right now, only my secretary is here. The rest are out in the field, two here in the L.A. area, and three elsewhere in the country, all of them working on other cases. They call in every few hours to report in.

Both men went into the reception area, and Darren's eyes lit up almost immediately. The interior brick walls were almost covered with plaques and memorabilia, such as glass cases that contained an old gun and a knife, and a picture of Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes. There were African warrior spears and a medivial sword on the wall as well. The carpet was a bright green, with matching lime-colored couches and chairs. Darren looked somewhat awestruck at the walls for a moment more, then turned back to Woo.

DARREN: (Smirks:) Definitely nice inside as well as outside, Woo. I am impressed.

WOO: (Smiles, with a slight nod:) Thank you very much, Darren--I did the decorating. (Looks around:) Where is my secretary, Carla?

At that moment, an apparently early-twentyish, attractive blond woman, with a look of intense concentration on an arm full of about fifteen files she was carrying, came out to meet both men from the back.

CARLA: (While looking down at straightening her files:) I'm sorry, Woo, I was in the file room and I didn't hear you.

WOO: That's okay, Carla. This is that client of mine, Darren Appleton. You can call him Darren.

CARLA: (Looks up and sees Darren, stunned, tries to shift her files around in her arms to shake Darren's hand:) Hello, Darren, um--

DARREN: (Smiles, holding up his hands:) --Hey, that's all right, Carla, you don't have to try to shake my hand. I can see you're kind of--busy. Ah, do you need any help with those files--?

CARLA: (Still looking at Darren, this time a bit more on the dreamy side:) Oh, um, that's okay, Darren. (Walks up to him:) Did you want coffee or something for breakfast? I could--

DARREN: (Looking a bit confused:) --Oh, er, well, I just ate breakfast at the hotel. That's okay.

WOO: (Smiling while walking, followed by Darren:) Just coffee for me, Carla, black. Hold all my calls, I'll be in the conference room.

CARLA: Yes, Woo--(glances at Darren again:) do you want me to take any notes? If you need me to go through the Appleton files I laid on the table in the conference room for you, I can.

WOO: (After letting Darren into the room first:) That's quite all right, Carla--(then mutters while shutting the door and chuckling:) for some reason, I don't think you'd get much writing or filing done. (Carla mockingly glares at him, then smirks)

Darren was directed by Woo to a small room, eight-foot by ten-foot, connected to Woo's office. It was indeed a conference room, complete with a rectangular table full of documents associated with Darren's case. Both men sat down to go over the information Woo had acquired. The room was sparse, save for the table and two chairs, and a small serving table beside the rectangular table. There was a small window and a potted cactus plant in the corner of the room, with downtown Los Angeles in the distance.

WOO: As you can see, Darren, this is my conference room. I use it to lay out all of my client's casework when I talk with one. I don't like to use my office to confer with a client because it's too small, and it tends to intimidate them. (Frowns for a moment, contemplating:) Strange as it seems, I think the reason is that my office may be a bit too sterile in appearance because there's no window in there. I'm thinking of knocking down the wall that connects the two, and doing a complete redecoration.

DARREN: (Shrugs:) Whatever your fancy, Woo--if you can do to this room to what was done to the reception area, I think you'll do okay.

WOO: Ah, thank you, Darren. Now to your birth parents--

There was a knock at the door, and Carla came into the room with a tray of coffee, with sugar and creme, and bagels. She stole a quick glance at Darren and then put the tray on the serving table.

CARLA: I know you didn't ask for the bagels, Woo, but I thought you and Darren might get a little hungry, just in case. (She stares at Darren again, this time a little longer)

WOO: (While shuffling some papers:) Why, thank you, Carla.

DARREN: (Looking a bit confused at Carla's staring:) Uh, yes, thank you, Carla.

CARLA: (Still staring at Darren:) Will that be all for now, Woo?

WOO: (Now looking up, noticing Carla's staring:) Yes, Carla. If I need you, I'll call.

CARLA: (Slowly tearing away her look from Darren:) Um, okay. (Leaves and shuts the door, taking a quick last glance at Darren)

DARREN: (Hesitant to speak, with a perplexed frown:) Woo, was it my imagination, or--(pointing his thumb back at the door)

WOO: --No, Darren. (Smirks:) I think my secretary has something of a crush on you. (Pauses:) Now when I think about it, I suspect she is not the only one. It appears that some women find you quite handsome.

DARREN: (Genuinely shocked:) You're--kidding!

WOO: Nope. You didn't notice that when we were at the airport, some of the females walking by were staring at you? It didn't even occur to me until Carla's staring at you. Then again, I am a detective, and I should've noticed these things. I hope she didn't embarass you.

DARREN: (Chuckles:) No, not at all, Woo. I suppose I should be flattered. I haven't really been with any girl since Steph--(stops with a slightly pained look, then glances down to the files:) can we er, get to what you found, Woo?

WOO: (After a pause, quietly:) Of course, Darren. Helen Barksdale and Jake Morgendorffer were married on June 26, 1975, when they just got out of Middleton College. Beforehand, they apparently were part of the hippie culture, wondering around the country before they started to get serious about life, and became part of the "establishment". (Looks at files, puts a finger on a map and begins to trace it:) Your birth parents moved from--here--to Dumas in 1979. Both of your birth parents were five years removed from Middleton College, and your birth mother had just come out of four years of law school, working her own way through by being an intern at a local law firm. Your birth father worked at a consulting firm, then went with your birth mother out to Dumas and started his own consulting firm, which promptly struggled at the time, while she took a job at the Pembrooke law firm in Dumas.

DARREN: (Reminiscent look on face:) Say, I briefly considered going to Middleton, but I heard that their academic standards had gone down in recent years. Eastward had a superior Business Administration degree program.

WOO: (Laughs:) Perhaps you'd better not tell your birth parents about their alma mater that way, or they might not want to meet you.

DARREN: (In a quiet tone, looking out the window:) Who's to say that they will want to at all, Woo? It's going to one hell of a shock to them when, or even if, I tell them. (Pauses:) I think I will have some of that coffee, Woo. (Pours some coffee for himself)

WOO: (Surprised:) You don't know if you'll tell them now? What happened to maybe make you change your mind? (Eats a bagel)

DARREN: (Still looks out the window, frowning:) I really can't explain it--all I know is just that I couldn't sleep last night, Woo. I kept wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I mean, what right do I have to simply walk into their lives and say, (talks in a mocking tone:) "Hi, I'm the son you should've had, but you thought had died. Let's talk! So what have you been doing these past twenty years? Oh, really? Me? Well, I've been living another life and all, thanks to a doctor who sold me to get out of his gambling debts. See ya! We'll do lunch, okay?" (Then he talks in a quiet tone:) Maybe I should let sleeping dogs lie, go off somewhere to think where do I go from here, and then get on with my life. I don't know these people at all, they might not want to meet me.

WOO: (After a pause:) Darren, what you decide in the end is up to you. But I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself. At the least, perhaps they should have the right to know that you're alive. From what I have gathered, your birth family is still together and could very well be a very loving, close-knit family. They may want to reach out to you. You sound like you have cold feet, a feeling of fear of rejection, which I might add, is perfectly normal to have. Imagine what your birth parents may have felt when they thought you had died, the terrible trauma, the feeling of helplessnes. If they see you now, all of that might go away, to be replaced with joy, delight, and relief. Do you really want to deny them the opportunity to find out what THEY feel, to deny yourself the opportunity of what YOU feel when, or if, you see them?

Darren stayed silent for a moment, narrowing his eyes at Woo, deep in thought, then he spoke in a determined tone.

DARREN: Okay, Woo, I've come this far, so I might as well hear you out.

WOO: (Grins:) Excellent, Darren. Now--(going back to the map:) after what your birth parents thought of as a miscarriage, they moved to Highland, Texas about three weeks later. I suspect they wanted to leave what they thought were terrible memories of what happened in Dumas behind, as well as your birth mother getting an offer from the Henderson law firm there.

DARREN: Pretty good timing that the offer came then, don't you think? Hmm--Highland, Texas--that place sounds familiar--

WOO: I believe that was the place where uranium was found in the drinking water.

DARREN: (Snaps his fingers:) Ah, yes, now I remember.

WOO: Anyway, while your birth mother joined the Henderson law firm, your birth father finally began to see the fruits of his consulting pay off, for he began to make money. They then had another child, to them the first one, a daughter who was named Daria. A year-and-a-half later, they had another daughter named Quinn. Daria is 17, and Quinn is now 15 1/2, but Quinn will be having her birthday in another month or so, while Daria's will be a few months after her sister.

DARREN: (Chuckles, a little excited:) Daria and Quinn, eh? I have two little sisters! Do you have any pictures of my birth family, Woo?

WOO: Just a picture of your birth parents from their Middleton days that I scanned off of the Internet. Be warned--it's a bit fuzzy. (Pulls out picture from file and gives it to Darren)

DARREN: (Looks hard at the picture, frowns at it, tries to focus:) "Bit", nothing, Woo--"very" is more like it. I can barely make out their faces.

WOO: (Shrugs while drinking coffee:) Sorry, Darren. I'm trying to get more pictures of them, but it could take another day or two. I'll try to get them to you should you decide to meet your birth parents.

DARREN: (Puts up his hands in a gentle manner:) That's okay, Woo. You've done so much for me so quickly, I shouldn't complain. So, what happened after Highland?

WOO: Helen Morgendorffer got another offer at the law firm of--get this, I'm serious, now--Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Riodan, Schrecter, Schrecter, and Schrecter, (Darren looks at Woo as if to say, "Are you kidding?") and Jake Morgendorffer took his business and their daughters right behind her to Lawndale, which is located--(traces his finger on the map) right here. (Darren looks at the map, mildly surprised)

(Note to reader: Yeah, I kind of wimped out on what state I thought Lawndale was in--I'll leave that to your imagination--but you can use your logic, and maybe figure it out!)

DARREN: Lawndale's here? That's not too far from where I live. I can probably drive there to talk to them. I'll call them after I get back home and arrange some sort of meeting--provided that they will meet me. (Drinks his coffee)

WOO: (Raised eyebrow:) Ah, so you are definitely going, Darren?

DARREN: I may as well, Woo. If my birth parents do talk to me and believe my story, we'll probably do some DNA tests to make sure that we're genetically related. (Pauses:) If they don't want to conduct them, I probably will ask for some--just to make sure.

WOO: (Smirks, half-jokingly:) Oh, after they hear your story, they may not even want to conduct DNA tests, even if you do ask--for they'll probably be very angry at Doctor Turley, and demand his head.

DARREN: (Drinks the rest of his coffee:) Then they'd better get in line, Woo. I'm still angry at what he did, and how he did it, (grits his teeth:) the monster. (Narrows eyes while looking out the window)

Woo silently stared at Darren for a moment, registering the sound of hate in Darren's voice, and began to quietly gather up the files. There was another knock at the door, and Carla, seemingly a bit more under control around Darren this time, came in.

CARLA: (Fights herself to look only at Woo:) Woo, there was a call that just came in--Doctor Turley died ten minutes ago. (Darren glances at her and Woo with an unreadable look) You wanted to know about Turley's condition.

WOO: Thank you, Carla. (Carla hurriedly leaves without looking at Darren)

DARREN: (A bit sarcastic, bitter:) Hooray, hooray, the monster is dead today. (Looks directly at Woo:) I guess my birth parents won't be able to get his head, Woo--not unless they can make an arrangement with the undertaker over collecting Turley's body parts. (Pauses, then adds quietly:) I should at least send my condolences to Mrs. Turley. (Pulls out a pen and notepad from his briefcase and begins to write a reminder note to himself)

WOO: I'll send some flowers to the funeral for the family--will you be going back home now, Darren? I suppose there is nothing more holding you here.

DARREN: (In a quiet tone:) Yeah, I'd better call the airport and get my jet ready to go back home. (Pulls out a cell phone from briefcase)

WOO: Very well. I have the numbers of where both of your parents work, as well as their home in Lawndale in this folder, and a few other minor, personal things on your birth family. (Gives Darren the folder:) Here are some copies of the files on your family. (Darren opens his briefcase and puts the folder in it)

DARREN: (While on phone:) Thanks, Woo, and I have something for you, as well--(reaches into briefcase and gives a gold envelope to Woo:) I believe this will cover everything, and then some.

WOO: (Opens envelope, sees check amount, stunned:) And thank you, Darren. (Smiles:) I hope you will have further use of my services in the future.

DARREN: (Still on phone:) Actually, Woo, I do--I'll tell you about it while we go back to the hotel. Right now, I want to get back there and leave for home--(pauses:) yes, have the jet ready in an hour, thank you. (Clicks off phone, puts it back into his briefcase, thought v.o.: I'll call aunt Millie on the plane ride back home, just so she won't worry--I did hang up on her pretty quickly last night--I'll tell her what Doctor Turley did when I get back home)

Darren and Woo walked out of the conference room and into the reception area, where Carla was at her desk, typing at her computer keyboard. She stopped when she saw them.

WOO: We're leaving, Carla. Darren's going back East. (Carla looks a bit disappointed) I'm going to drive him back to the hotel and then to the airport--page me if our man David calls about any developments on the Snell case, other than that, I'm out.

CARLA: Okay, Woo. (Looks at Darren sadly, but smiling:) Goodbye, Darren--I hope everything goes well with your birth parents.

DARREN: (Smiles back:) Actually, Carla, I plan on meeting them as soon as possible. Thank you and goodbye--it was nice meeting you. (Shakes hands with her, which causes Carla to blush slightly, then leaves with Woo)

Carla leaned from behind her desk to see Darren get in the rental car with Woo and drive off. She sighed dreamily for a second, then began to type again with a melancholy look on her face.

(Appleton Tower, New York City, about seven hours later in the executive conference room, 30th floor:)

There were several Appleton executives, along with their assistants, sitting around a long, black marble rectangular table, all talking to each other. The room they were in was almost totally surrounded by tinted glass, which provided a rather panoramic and spectacular view of New York City's famous skyscrapers. William Appleton, followed closely by Benny and a secretary, walked into the room across its ivory-colored ceramic tile floor, and sat down at the table, with the secretary taking notes. Everyone grew quiet.

WILLIAM: (Completely in a serious business mode, looking down at a stack of papers in front of him:) Good afternoon, everyone. This meeting is called to go over the current status of the conglomerate's divisional holdings for this quarter. (Looks up:) Clothing division, report.

CLOTHING DIVISION SPOKESWOMAN: I'm reporting a 10 percent increase in our Circa clothing line during the first quarter. It's the first increase in the last two quarters, I might add.

WILLIAM: Decent, but shoot for double that next quarter. (Clothing division chief looks miffed) Technology division report.

TECHNOLOGY DIVISION SPOKESMAN: I'm proud to report a 15 percent increase in earnings during the first quarter, with the biggest gains in our personal computer market, particularly our Sharpshooter line of PC's.

WILLIAM: Good, but not good enough. Target an increase up to 25 percent for the second quarter. (Technology division chief looks stunned) Food division report.

FOOD DIVISION SPOKESWOMAN: We've had a 22 percent increase in earnings during the first quarter--(smirks before adding:) double what Appleton had during the last quarter.

WILLIAM: Good, so I'll expect it to double again for the next quarter. (Woman looks shocked, turns a bit pale) Media division report.

MEDIA DIVISION SPOKESMAN: (After a quick, uncomfortable glance at the food division chief:) The media division's holdings were a bit--down by 2 percent--

WILLIAM: (Cuts him off, scowls slightly:) --Reason?

MEDIA DIVISION SPOKESMAN: (Looking a little nervous:) Our acquisition of Tramell Press last year cut into our profits. We haven't seen a return yet on our investment. (Adds quickly:) But of course, we knew that it would take a little time to turn it around--

WILLIAM: (Again cuts him off, giving a rather ominous look directly at the media division chief:)--If there's no improvement in profits next quarter, then something's going to have to be done, don't you think?

MEDIA DIVISION SPOKESMAN: (Looking a lot nervous now:) O--oh, yessir--definitely something. In fact, I'm looking at other options right now--

WILLIAM: (Smug smile:) --Good. Energy division report.

ENERGY DIVISION SPOKESWOMAN: (Giving a "He's got to be impressed by this" look on her face:) We had a 50 percent increase in our coal-to-oil, electrical, nuclear, and garbage-burning energy plant profits for the first quarter, a large increase over the last quarter--almost triple.

WILLIAM: (After a pause:) I suppose that'll do at the moment. (Energy division chief looks a little peeved) I want you to concentrate on selling our two nuclear plants in the West, they're putting a strain on our garbage-burning profits. I want those plants gone by the next quarter, do you understand? (Energy division chief is shocked, but instead of saying nothing, she responds)

ENERGY DIVISION SPOKESWOMAN: (In a forceful manner:) Mr. Appleton, we've tried selling those plants for the last year. Maybe we should sell at the first offer that's given to us. It may not be what we're asking for, but at least--

WILLIAM: (Cuts her off, looking a little menacing:) --Are you suggesting that we take a loss on this? Oh no, I don't think so. If you can't do the job, then maybe we could find someone else. (The energy division chief looks flustered for a moment, then nods curtly, William then smiles) Good--now that's the get-up-and-go attitude we want at Appleton Industries, speaking of which--(gets up:) I declare this meeting adjourned--all opposed? (No one says anything, looking uncomfortably at each other) Very well, I'll see you all at next week's meeting. (Leaves)

William, after dismissing the secretary, went with Benny into the elevator at the end of the corridor. William pushed the button that would take both men to the roof where the helipad was.

BENNY: (After a moment, hesitant:) Geez, Boss--you were awfully agressive in there, even for you.

WILLIAM: (Looking ahead:) You have to be like that, Benny, or they won't respect you.

BENNY: But, well--do you think that's wise? What if some of the division chiefs go to the Board of Directors to complain? If this gets back to Darren--

WILLIAM: (Pushing the stop button and simultaneously faces Benny, scowls, Benny cringes a bit:) --It won't, do you hear? (Calms down a bit:) At least not for now. Remember, Benny, I have a grace period, here. The Board will cut me some slack, and I'm using the time to get the message out that William Appleton is more than just a (snorts:) "temporary" figurehead, that I'm determined to keep Appleton Industries profitable. If any of those crybabies go running to the Board, they'll look like they can't take the heat, making them look bad in front of the Board. I know the division chiefs have a lot of pride, for they'll go the extra mile to stay one step ahead of me, and that is the factor for the company to stay profitable. (Smirks:) In other words, I'm motivating them. (Pushes the button to start the elevator again, changes subject:) I called Millie about an hour ago, and she told me Darren's on his way back to the mansion with good news, which I'm hoping is about him meeting his birth family. That's why I wanted to end the divisional holdings meeting early. I plan to be there waiting with her to meet him. In the meantime, I want you to go over the Roeberson acquisition plan while I'm gone for ideas on how we'll proceed on it.

BENNY: Okay, Boss--I hope everything goes well.

Benny watched William go out to the waiting helicopter, and it took off to the Appleton mansion. By the time William's helicopter had gotten to the mansion, he had found out from the gardener that Darren had just gotten there. Anxious to see what Darren had to say, William literally jogged out to the service entrance on the side of the kitchen, nearly bowling over Claude and the chef, a small, portly man named Henri, who were carrying some groceries, in the process.

WILLIAM: (Nearly out of breath, frowns:) Blast it, watch where you're going, Claude, Henri! You two almost ran me over! (Rushes by)

CLAUDE: I'm so sorry, sir! (Thought v.o.: Pompous ass!)

HENRI: Pardon me, sir! (Thought v.o.: Pompous ass!)

William bolted to the study and practically threw open the doors, where he found Darren talking to Millie. Both looked at William, startled by his rather loud entrance.

MILLIE: (Concerned:) William, is everything all right?

WILLIAM: (Gasping, leaning against the sofa:) I-I'm f-fine you two, just-just let me catch my breath. Go-go on, Darren.

DARREN: (Looking at William strangely:) Er, I just got in, Uncle Will, and haven't started yet. Aunt Millie said that you wanted to be here---(pauses:) so we decided to wait for you. Since you're here, now, I'll tell you what I found out. (Looks at Millie:) You two better sit down, because the story I have to tell you is too incredible to be believed--

The time passed by after Darren's stunning illegal adoption story and of his birth family, with Millie and William just about too shocked to say anything, save for a few questions. Darren was just finishing his story when both were finally coming out of their stupors.

DARREN: --And here I am. I'm planning to call the Morgendorffers after I rest up and talk to Curtis.

MILLIE: (Sniffling, holding back her tears, gets up to hug Darren:) My God, Darren! How could Doctor Turley do somthing so--so horrible?

DARREN: (Quietly, looking down to Millie:) I--don't know, Aunt Millie, but we can't change what's been done now. All I--we--can do is go on.

WILLIAM: (Looking stunned, thought v.o.: Damn, and I thought I was ruthless! Too bad the good doctor is dead. I'd make him pay for cursing us with Darren--then again, I could've used someone like that to--oh, well:) Darren is right, Millie--all we can do is go on--it's water under the bridge, now. (Changes subject and tone, looks at Darren uneasily:) Ah, Darren--are you planning to simply meet these Morgendriffers--

DARREN: --MorgendORFFERS, Uncle Will--

WILLIAM: --Morgendorffers, Darren--right out of the blue? I mean, what do we really know about these people? You said that your birth mother is a lawyer. (Rolls his eyes:) Heaven knows what that would mean.

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes:) What would what mean, Uncle Will?

WILLIAM: (Sounding urgent:) She could use legal tactics to get you to give at least some of your money to them. (Both Darren and Millie look stunned) Think about it for a second, okay? Once your birth family finds out how rich you are, your birth mother could say that your--parents--used illegal means to adopt you--(Darren looks like he's about to say something, but William holds up his hands to cut him off:) and we know nothing was done wrong, but how would it look? $50,000? It's possible that any jury in the country could say that your birth family is entitled to a share of your wealth based on that alone, police report or no. Besides, why not get to know your birth family--without the "money factor" coming into play, at least until you get to know them well?

MILLIE: (Confused:) Without the "money factor", William? Just what are you getting at?

WILLIAM: (Smirks:) Isn't it obvious, Millie? I'm saying that Darren should pretend he's someone else when he meets these people, you know, a cover. I mean, don't let the wealth of Darren get in the way of knowing his birth family. Why have it as a distraction at the very beginning?

DARREN: (In a sarcastic tone:) You think wealth is a distraction, Uncle Will? (Rolls eyes, while William slightly scowls:) Please. Look, I don't think it's a good idea to lie to these people, I don't want to be like Turley. I want to establish some sort of trust, some sort of bond with my birth family if they want to meet me--

WILLIAM: (Sneers:) --Oh, I'm sure once these people see your wealth, they'll want to meet you and establish this "bond" and "trust" that you seem so sure about. Besides, in case you don't know, you're nothing like Turley, compared to what he did. (Sighs:) All I'm saying is if you meet your birth family, do you really believe that the wealth issue won't be a problem, Darren? Sure, your birth family could be honest, but even still, the amount of money that you have is akin to, say, a tornado coming up the road towards you. Do you simply ignore it, and keep going about your business, or do you look for shelter? (Pauses, waits to see if his reasoning is sinking in:) To me, the answer is clear. At least meet me halfway here. I'm not saying you should out-and-out lie to these people, I'm just saying that you should--well--skew the truth a bit, until you know them well enough to tell the whole truth to them, that's all.

DARREN: (Along with Millie has a skeptical look:) "Skew" the truth--and just how do I do that?

WILLIAM: It's simple, Darren--let's take your name for example. You can keep "Darren", because the public knows you by your first name "Arthur" while you of course don't use it, but add something that would "cover" your last name--(gets an idea:) ah, of course! "Cover-ton"! Darren Coverton!

MILLIE: (Rolls her eyes, chuckles:) "Darren Coverton"? William, you've gone--coo-coo! (Smirks:) How about if they ask who the names of his parents were?

WILLIAM: (Slight frown:) Millie, Darren can make up a name for them--(pauses:) or maybe not. How about "Walter" and "Grace"? Technically, he won't be lying if he uses those names.

DARREN: My parent's middle names? (Snickers:) What about what their jobs were?

WILLIAM: You could say that your father was a businessman--say, computers. Your father started our computer business first, remember, and then diversified into other branches. Just say he worked in computers, that'll pass--and technically--

DARREN: --Technically, it wouldn't be a lie, Uncle Will--okay, what about my mother?

WILLIAM: For her, you could say she worked in fashion--this is also true. She was the creator and head of the clothing division. Just say that she did something similar to that, because--

DARREN & MILLIE: --"Technically" it's true.

WILLIAM: Exactly! Be creative.

DARREN: What about my education? Eastward is a really difficult school to get into academically, and unless one has a lot of money and brains, it's nearly impossible to enroll there.

WILLIAM: Ah, here you can simply say exactly that you go to Eastward. There's nothing wrong with saying you're smart enough to go there, which you are, in fact. As for the money angle, just say your parents could afford it, which of course, is true. Say that your parents were upper middle-class--which is the same as your birth family. The only difference here is that your birth family doesn't know how rich you really are--at least not yet.

MILLIE: (Mocking tone:) What about the story behind Darren's adoption? Should he be "creative" and "technical" about that, too?

WILLIAM: (Looking exasperated:) Of course not, Millie! Just change the names of his parents! He can tell the entire truth about that, save for the money he gave to Mrs. Turley. He could even talk about the $50,000 fee that his parents paid. He could say that his parents were wanting a baby, which is true, and that the Barnes Adoption Agency offered to give them one, and that his parents didn't know about what Turley did to get them Darren, which is true.

DARREN: (In a solemn tone:) --And what if they ask about how my parents died, Uncle Will?

William grew a little pale over this, but quickly recovered.

WILLIAM: (In a faux noble tone:) --That they were killed in an accident, and that you don't want to talk about it. That's true enough, right? If your birth family wants to establish this--"trust", and "bond" as you say that they might, they won't press you on the matter out of respect for your feelings, and because they'd be so glad to see you.

Darren stared at William for a moment out of stunned disbelief, contemplating what his uncle had said, then looked at his aunt.

DARREN: What do you think about all of this, Aunt Millie?

MILLIE: (Looking at William, uncertain:) I--don't know, Darren. Your uncle seems to have made a--convincing argument. (Darren looks a bit surprised at this) It's possible these people you may meet could be--dishonest, I--really couldn't say for sure. (Looks off, deep in thought)

WILLIAM: (Sensing an opening:) Exactly my point, Darren--we don't know. Why not go slow on this and take your time? You know who they are and where they live, so get to know them and let them get to know you.

DARREN: (Still with an unsure look:) Well, maybe I should talk to Curtis and see what he thinks about this--

WILLIAM: (A little alarmed:) --Curtis? No offense, but you're the one going through this, not your friend. (In a faux pacifying tone:) Sure, he could say to tell the whole truth to these Morgendaffers--

DARREN: --MorgenDORFFERS, Uncle Will--

WILLIAM: (Rolls his eyes:) --Morgendorffers, Darren--but what if Curtis turns out to be wrong if he tells you this, and things go awry with your birth family? Your friendship could suffer because of it. (Voice gets low, faux deep concern tone:) I certainly don't know your friend like you do, but with everything you've gone through these past few weeks, my boy, do you want to take the chance of not only losing Stephanie and your parents, but your birth family and Curtis, too? My God, man, how much can one person take? I think you could tell him after you meet your birth parents, at least. (Hesitates:) Just--just consider what I said, and if you still want to tell Curtis, then by all means--(dramatic pause, in a faux pained look to make Darren feel a little guilty:) do so. (Looks at watch:) I've got to go back to work, you two. (Looks at Darren:) Good luck, nephew--I'll call tonight to see what you've decided. (Pats him on the back, and leaves with a dramatic stride)

DARREN: (After watching William leave, a bit tentative to his aunt:) Aunt Millie, I'm going up to my room and rest for awhile--I've got some serious thinking to do. (Leaves the study)

MILLIE: Okay, Darren--have a good sleep. (Thought v.o.: Why couldn't I say anything more? Could William actually be right? Oh, God, please let Darren get to know these "Morgendorffers", and that they're good, honest people who can accept him. I--don't know what could happen to his sanity if they don't.)

(The Morgendorffer residence, about an hour later:)

The Morgendorffers were sitting around the kitchen table having their customary lasagna dinner while discussing the option of going to the beach or the mountains. Daria stared forward wordlessly, secretly wishing that a meteor from outer space could destroy Jake's Lexus, Helen's SUV, the mountains, and the beach all at the same time so they could go nowhere. As she chewed her food, she watched the others with her usual expressionless detachment, slightly amused by Quinn's standard ranting and raving over the possibilities of meeting boys in either place, and what she should wear when she does. Helen was controlling the conversation as to where they'd go, naturally, and Jake was ocasionally grunting in agreement with Helen while reading the newspaper. Par for the course. It became obvious to Daria that her boredom was defeating her relaxation, and she even briefly wished that school was still in session so she could do something. Fortunately, that rather idiotic and mundane thought came into her head and went right on out.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Come on, got to keep my sanity--must--stay--sane--)

HELEN: (Finishing up her reasoning:) --And that's why we should go to the beach. (Cuts her eyes to Daria:) What do you think, Daria, and don't go into your "Why we should go to both places speech" again, young lady.

QUINN: (Before Daria can speak:) Mom, you know that Daria's not gonna care either way. She doesn't care if we don't go anyplace. (Sneers at her:) Right, Daria?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Well, Quinn--you can go to h--

HELEN: --Daria! (The cell phone sitting on the kitchen table begins to ring, Helen answers it in her falsetto voice:) Hellooo? Oh, Jane! How are you? (Pauses:) You are? Good! How is Amanda? (Pauses:) She is? Good! (Casts a quick glare at Daria:) Your timing couldn't have been better, dear. (Pauses:) Yes, here she is. (Gives phone to Daria, who promptly gets up and goes into the living room, sits on the middle couch)

DARIA: Hello, stranger. Who did my mom say you were again?

JANE: Okay, okay! I know I haven't called in a little over a week, so sue me.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Careful, my mom's a lawyer. I might just take you up on that. (Pauses:) So what's up? You and your mom have decided to become hermits? If you have, I will come to seek out and destroy you for trying to muscle in on my ultimate fantasy.

JANE: (Snickers:) Gee, and here I thought your "ultimate fantasy" was licking the whipped cream off of Trent's naked body.

DARIA: (Blushes slightly at the thought:) Nope, that one's between you and Tom. Speaking of which--(reaches for paper in her pocket Tom gave her:) Tom says he wants you to call him about 8:00 p.m. He said that his phone's answering machine was broken, so that's why you haven't been able to call him, and that his car broke down on his way to see you. That's why he wasn't at your house or the airport.

JANE: (Sounding exasperated:) Geez--he still hasn't fixed that crappy answering machine yet? Great, that's just great.

DARIA: (Raised eyebrow:) Say, you okay? You sound a little annoyed with Tom.

JANE: Well--(pauses:) it's just that he seems to have taken a hell of a lot of time to fix a lot of things recently.

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes:) What do you mean, "fix"? Is that what you meant when you said, "Another moment in a long line of--" when you were packing to leave in your room last week to me?

JANE: --Yeah, I guess. Think about it--our relationship, his car, the answering machine. It seems like one feeds on the other. I'm beginning to wonder about whether I want to fix how we feel about each other.

DARIA: (Sounding concerned:) Hey, whoa. Maybe you should hear Tom's side out before you consider that. He was really worried that he couldn't get to see you off.

JANE: (Quiet tone:) I guess. (Chuckling sound:) You know, I can't believe you're speaking up for Tom now. I remember how you felt about him cutting into our time together.

(Note to reader: See "Jane's Addition" and "Partner's Complaint" about Daria's attitude over Tom and Jane being together)

DARIA: (Uncomfortable now:) Well, um--Tom's--okay. I realized how much of a jerk I was being when I treated him like a plague. You seemed--happy with him, so I had to eventually accept him being there.

JANE: Umm-hmm. Listen, I'm calling from a guest room in a house on the Hopi Native American Resevation in Arizona. My mom and I have been staying with some people she knows, and we've been in the desert all of this time, getting in "touch with nature". Let me give you a number to call me, and the time you can call--

DARIA: (Deadpan:) --Gosh, that sounds awfully familiar. Go ahead, I have a pen and a pad.

JANE: Okay--it's area code (602) 555-1890. Call after 11:00 p.m. D.S.T., your time zone.

DARIA: Got it. (Phone rings over the line:) Hang on--I have another call.

JANE: Hey, I gotta go, anyway. (Pauses:) I'll call Tom at the time you gave me. Later.

DARIA: Okey-dokey. (Clicks off phone, then back on:) Hello?

VOICE: (Tentatively:) Hello, is a--Helen or a Jake Morgendorffer there?

DARIA: Both of them are here at the ranch. Take your pick.

VOICE: (Slight chuckle:) Ah, Helen Morgendorffer, please.

DARIA: You have chosen one Helen Morgendorrfer, sir. Now, to make the other half of this message officially complete, whom may I ask is calling?

VOICE: (Pause:) Er--Darren Coverton, miss, and you're--?

DARIA: --Out of here. (Covers phone, raises voice, smirks:) Mom? One of your clients beckons, or it's one of those pesky telemarketers. His name is a "Darren Coverton". (Helen comes up and takes the phone, while Daria goes back to the kitchen)

HELEN: (In her "get tough" voice:) Now see here, Mr. Coverton, we're not interested in any product you're selling--

DARREN: --Uh, no ma'am. I'm not selling anything. I'm--

HELEN: (Now in her falsetto "What can I do for you?" voice:)--Ooooh, you're a client, then. All right, young man, I can--

DARREN: (A bit more forcefully:) --No ma'am, I'm not a client. (Pauses:) Is this really the Morgendorffer residence? Maybe I've called the wrong number.

HELEN: Young man, I can assure you that this is the Morgendorffer home--wait a minute--if you're not a telemarketer or a client, who are you?

DARREN: (Sighs:) That's what I've been trying to tell you, ma'am, I'm neither. (Gets into a lower voice:) I--I would like to talk to you and your husband about something that happened about twenty years ago, something that you two probably would rather forget.

HELEN: (Now looking uneasy, eyes narrowing:) "Something", Mr. Coverton? What do you mean, "something"?

DARREN: (Hesitates:) I'm talking about a baby that you lost twenty years ago, Mrs. Morgendorffer.

HELEN: (Now stunned:) W-What about my baby? M--my baby is dead! (Pauses, is starting to become angry:) A-are you some sort of--of an extortionist or something? Because if you are, young man--

DARREN: (In a pacifying tone:) --No, ma'am, I'm not. Just--please listen to me. (Pauses:) You may want to sit down before you hear this--

HELEN: (Sitting down slowly, trying to stay calm:) All right, young man, I'm sitting down. Now what do you want to tell me about my baby?

DARREN: (Dramatic pause:) That your baby did not die, Mrs. Morgendorffer. I know that this may sound crazy to you, but I'm--begging you to believe me when I say--I'm that baby.

Helen turned pale, and stared forward in space with her mouth agape.

DARREN: (Quietly after a polite moment of silence:) Mrs. Morgendorffer, are you there--?

HELEN: (Coming out of her stupor, speaking softly:) I-I'm here, young man--D-Darren. H-how is this possible? My husband and I saw your--the baby's body--

DARREN: --Mrs. Morgendorffer, I'd like to tell you and your husband the whole story. I know this has to be an absolute shock to you, just as it was for me. If you have your doubts, I can't say that I can blame you. Is--is there any place you and your husband would feel comfortable talking to me about it? It doesn't have to be at your home. (Pauses:) I--I'd really like to meet you both.

HELEN: (Trying not to faint, considers:) Y-yes, Darren--there is a place we can meet--have you heard of a Cranberry Commons shopping mall here in Lawndale?

DARREN: No, ma'am, I haven't, but I know where Lawndale is, and I have a map of your area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. What day and time do you want to meet?

HELEN: (Pauses, still fighting the urge not to faint:) C-can you meet us tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. in the f-food court area?

DARREN: (After a moment:) I can be there, ma'am. (Pauses:) See you then. (Hangs up.)

HELEN: (Realizes something:) Wait! How will we know you when we see--damn! (Clicks off cell phone, gets up quietly, takes a deep breath, and then:) Jake! Jake! Get the hell in here right now!

(End of Part One)

Go to Part 2

******************************************************************************