"Revelations--A 'Daria' Fanfic"

Part 2
By Steven Galloway
SGall23241@aol.com
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

(To the reader: I've decided to skip the recap. I figured that if you've come this far, you're interested enough to go on, and basically know what's happening--in other words, read it like a book!. Now, on with the story.)

Chapter 4 - Contact

Jake nearly fell out of his chair in the kitchen when he heard Helen's bellowing, whereas Quinn nearly choked on her skim milk. Daria raised an eyebrow and smirked just as she was about to finish eating.

DARIA: Looks like you're busted, Dad.

JAKE: (In his usual confused state, looking with a sense of dread at the living room:) But what did I do, Daria? You and Quinn saw me sitting here at the table, reading the paper, and doing nothing!

QUINN: (Smirks, too:) I don't what's going on, Daddy, but mom sounds like she's really ready to explode! You didn't call that porno service again, did you, and they're trying to make you pay the bill?

JAKE: (In a tizzy now:) It was an accident, sweetie! I was trying to call a client, and his number was one number off from that service! I can get the phone bill and prove it--

HELEN: (From the living room again:) JAKE! Jake Morgendorffer! Get in here right now!

JAKE: (Looking sad, resigned to his fate:) Coming, dear! (Gets up slowly from the table and drags himself into the living room)

Jake walked into the living room and was surprised to see Helen sitting on the couch crying softly. He quickly came up to her and sat down beside her, putting his arm around his wife.

JAKE: (In a "Please don't kill me" tone:) Honey, I'm sorry about that porno call, but they're wrong about the charging fee! (Begins to get into his "Raging at the Old Man" tone, narrows his eyes:) A guy makes a simple mistake by calling the wrong number, and he keeps paying for it! Just like my Old Man! When I made a mistake, he never let me forget it! I kept on paying--on and on, and--

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Jake, will you get a grip? I'm not talking about that stupid pornography service call! I just received a phone call from someone who says they're--(looks up to see that Daria and Quinn are standing in the doorway watching her:) they're--wanting to get a--gift for someone we both know! Yes, that's it! A gift! (Grabs Jake's hand:) Come on, honey and help me find one for the person we both know! We'll be back a little later, girls. (Keeps cell phone in her hand, gets keys off counter and pulls Jake out of the front door, Jake pulls front door, slamming it)

Daria and Quinn stared at each other for a moment, then sat down on the middle living room couch.

DARIA: (While counting on her fingers:) Let's go over the clues, Quinn: (1) Someone named "Darren Coverton" calls here and chooses to talk to mom. (2) Mom talks to this guy and freaks out. (3) Mom calls dad and is about to tell him what's up when she sees us, and suddenly dreams up a lame excuse about getting a "gift" for someone to leave you and me behind, and takes dad with her. Conclusion: something big is definitely going down.

QUINN: (Stares at Daria for a second, then gasps, wide-eyed:) Of course, Daria! That's it! Don't you see?

DARIA: (Confused look on her otherwise passive face:) Um--see what, Quinn?

QUINN: (In her "duh" tone:) Isn't it obvious? They're gonna get a birthday gift for me! Look at my clues: (Counts on her fingers:) (1) My birthday is in two months. (2) Mom and dad said they both know the person--well, they both know me. (3) Obviously, mom and dad wanted to get out of here as fast as they could so we wouldn't know what gift they were getting me, probably telling this "Darren" fellow, who works at some clothing shop or another--probably Cashman's, 'cause mom an' dad know that it is the only place I'd shop for fashion in Lawndale. (Ponders by looking in the air for a moment:) Gee, maybe I should tell them what I want.

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes:) Quinn, didn't you see how upset mom was? I doubt that she'd be like that over a gift for you--(shrugs, then in an off-handed remark:) unless it was expensive, of course. (Suddenly realizes what she just said and slaps her forehead because she knows what Quinn's going to say)

QUINN: (Really excited now:) EEEEE! That's it, Daria! A gift that costs a lot of money! I gotta tell the Fashion Club! (Grabs the other cell phone from the center couch, runs upstairs)

DARIA: Quinn, I was just--(thought v.o.: It's my own damn fault for helping to put that idea in her head--of course, there's plenty of room in her head to put something into, like an empty, barren landscape.) (Goes back into kitchen)

(Scene changes to the Appleton estate:)

Darren came down the stairs. He joined his aunt, who was reading the newspaper on the couch, in the study.

DARREN: (While sitting down in a chair beside the couch:) I made the call to my birth parents, and ended up talking to my birth mother.

MILLIE: (Looks up from her newspaper:) You--talked to her, Darren? What--what did you say?

DARREN: I told her that I was her son, and that I was alive.

MILLIE: What did she say?

DARREN: Naturally, she was stunned. I don't know if she believed me--not that I could blame her--but after a moment, she said she'd agree to meet me, along with her husband--my birth father.

MILLIE: (Puts aside her newspaper:) They agreed to meet you? Where?

DARREN: In Lawndale, at a mall called Cranberry Commons at 5:00 tomorrow evening. I've just got off the phone with one of those rental car places. I'll get the car brought to the mansion tomorrow morning, take my bag with me, and drive there. I'll look over the Internet on my computer and see what hotels are in the area that I can stay at.

MILLIE: (Narrows her eyes slightly:) I see--and what name did you use?

DARREN: (Pauses:) Well, for the hotel and the car, it'll be Darren Appleton. In the Morgendorffer's case, Darren Coverton. (Raises eyebrow:) Is there a problem with that? You didn't raise too much of an objection when uncle Will first brought it up.

MILLIE: You're right, I didn't at first, but thinking about it now, are you really comfortable with following your uncle's advice about using this "Coverton" last name ruse and cover story? I thought you were going to talk to Curtis first.

DARREN: (Sighs:) I tried to talk to Curtis before calling the Morgendorffers, Aunt Millie, but his grandmother said he was out with Lena, and no, I'm not comfortable with taking uncle Will's advice. As much as I hate to admit it, though, he's right. I don't know these Morgendorffers, and I want to get to know them without the money question coming into play. (Chuckles, looks at watch:) Hmm--maybe I need to turn in early because I probably won't be able to sleep tonight, and I'm so excited, I'll need the extra hours to make up for all of my expected tossing and turning.

MILLIE: (In a thoughtful tone:) You seem really eager to want to know these Morgendorffers, Darren, for obvious reasons, of course, but--(pauses:) what if they're not the people you expect for them to be, and I'm not talking about the money question.

DARREN: (Perplexed frown on his face:) What do you mean, Aunt Millie?

MILLIE: (Hesitates:) I mean, maybe with these Morgendorffers, you're looking perhaps for a new family? Maybe someone to replace your lost family?

DARREN: (Shocked:) How can you say that, Aunt Millie? My parents--

MILLIE: (Quietly cuts him off:) --Adopted parents, Darren.

DARREN: (Now angry:) What do you mean by that, Aunt Millie? They're not my adopted parents--to me, they are my real parents. (Grows solemn, looks away:) I just want to meet the people who gave me birth. They didn't have the chance to raise me, and I felt that I owed them the chance to meet me, the son they thought was dead.

MILLIE: (Reaches over and holds Darren's hand:) Darren, I'm--sorry for saying that. It's just that you're so set on meeting them, and I'm afraid that you're building up your expectations too high.

DARREN: Too high, Aunt Millie?

MILLIE: Meeting the Morgendorffers may not be everything you want it to be. They might not take to you as quickly as you'd like, Darren.

DARREN: I'm being realistic, Aunt Millie. Let's face it, things might turn out badly, but I can accept that. After what's happened to me recently, I think I can accept anything. (Pauses:) But that's not the real issue here, is it, Aunt Millie?

MILLIE: (Chuckles softly:) Now what do you mean, Darren?

DARREN: (Looking at her completely seriously:) You're afraid you might lose me to the Morgendorffers, aren't you?

MILLIE: (Stunned:) What? No, Darren, that's not true! I--I--(begins to sob softly, then almost in a whisper:) yes. I wanted to believe that meeting the Morgendorffers and getting along with them would be good for you, but, well, you seem so determined to see them--(looks away)

DARREN: (Gets up and goes over to the couch, embracing her:)--Aunt Millie, I told you before, I'm an Appleton, and that won't change. (Smiles:) You're stuck with me as your nephew, so get over it.

MILLIE: (Wipes her tears, and now smiles:) I'm going to hold you to that, nephew.

DARREN: (Grins:) Fair enough. (Takes a deep breath:) Okay --now, I'm going to hold you to something.

MILLIE: Oh, and what's that?

DARREN: I want you to get away from the mansion for awhile, Aunt Millie. I've been thinking of me these last few days, and I want to think of you now. Why don't you go to Europe? You've been talking about it since last year. This is the perfect time to go, and I'm not taking "no" for an answer.

MILLIE: (Is about to say something, thinks the better of it:) You're a hard taskmaster, nephew.

DARREN: (In a faux noble tone, with his hand on his chest in a dramatic gesture:) I try, Auntie, I try.

MILLIE: I'll make some calls, and leave after I've heard from your meeting with the Morgendorffers, I promise.

DARREN: (Grins:) Going to take someone, Auntie, or are you going to plan a mysterious rendezvous in Europe?

MILLIE: (Mock glare:) Darren! You know I haven't been with anyone seriously since my divorce!

DARREN: (Smirks:) Well, then, don't you think it's time you did?

MILLIE: (Now with her own smirk:) Look who's talking.

Darren grew pale for a second, then talked in a quiet voice.

DARREN: (Pained look on his face:) I'm still not over Stephanie, yet, Aunt Millie. I know I've got to move on, but I can't just yet.

MILLIE: Oh, Darren, I didn't mean to--

DARREN: (Gets up:) --It's okay, Auntie. I'm going to check on the computer, and then go to bed. I want to get up early enough to jog--I haven't done that in a few days, and I want to get back in the regimen again, and then get ready to go. I haven't unpacked too many clothes since I returned, so I'll just take those with me. (Kisses aunt on cheek:) I'll see you tomorrow morning, Aunt Millie.

MILLIE: (Sighs:) I'll call William and tell him what you've decided, Darren.

DARREN: (Shrugs:) Okay, Auntie. He'll probably be pleased with my decision. (Leaves study)

(Somewhere in Lawndale, in Helen's red SUV, in an empty parking lot)

Jake sat in the passenger seat, stunned. Helen had told him of the call, and what it was about.

JAKE: Honey, are you sure about this? I mean, how do we know if this guy is on the level?

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Of course we don't know, Jake! Why do you think I picked Cranberry Commons as the place to meet him? This --Darren wouldn't dare try anything in the open! (Voice grows low:) But, he did seem like such a nice and mannerable young man.

JAKE: (Eyes light up:) Helen, it just occurred to me--what do we tell the girls?

HELEN: (Narrows eyes:) We'll tell them nothing for the moment, Jake--at least not until we know what exactly is going on here. (Reaches for cell phone:) I'm going to make a call to a place I'd rather not want to remember--(shudders, grimace on her face:) Dumas.

JAKE: (Looks up to remember:) Dumas--where we lived for awhile? Why, honey?

HELEN: (While dialing 411 to get number and frowning:) I want to talk to that bastard of a doctor, Turley. He handled the miscarriage, and we couldn't sue him because of that quick malpractice investigation that cleared him of any wrongdoing. I'm wondering if he isn't up to something. (Glares into space:) There was something shady about him, Jake, don't ask me to explain. I mean, the only reason why we went to his house that night was because we were too far from the hospital, and we'd heard about him being an obstetrician from our neighbors. (Talks on phone:) Yes, I'd like the number of a Doctor Hugo Turley in a town named Dumas, in California. Thank you.

JAKE: (Now following his wife's lead, and getting angry:) Yeah! That--that sadist! (Grows suddenly sad, lowers head:) Aw, Helen --do you really want to go through this again? I mean, the police said nothing was done wrong.

HELEN: (While still on phone:) Jake, you're not to blame for what happened that night! We've gone over this already!

JAKE: I know, dear, but--

HELEN: (Cuts him off:) --Not now, dear--yes? What!? (Pause:) Are you sure? (Another pause:) I see. Well, thank you for the information. Goodbye. (Turns off phone, narrows her eyes deep in thought)

JAKE: What is it, Helen?

HELEN: They transferred my call to the County General Hospital near Dumas, and I was told Turley died there yesterday morning.

JAKE: Oh. (Pauses:) What of?

HELEN: (Looks as she is going to snap at Jake, but sighs:) It was cancer, Jakey.

JAKE: Oh. (Pauses:) Well, are we still gonna meet this "Darren" guy now, dear?

HELEN: (Starts up her SUV:) Oh, yes, Jake--(looks angry:) and may heaven help this "Darren" if he's doing this as some sort of sick joke. (Roars off in the SUV, throwing Jake backwards)

(Scene changes to a Park Avenue apartment in New York City about the same time)

Willam Appleton was on his phone talking and grinning. He stood in his posh living room, surrounded by a stunning collection of Ming vases, Colonial-era furniture, and standing on an Oriental rug that covered a hardwood floor. On the marble walls were genuine paintings of Renoir and Rembrandt, and a glass case that contained autographed baseballs by Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, and Joe DiMaggio. On the sliding-glass door wall that led to a large balcony was a breathtaking view of the Manhattan skyline.

WILLIAM: That's wonderful, Millie! (Pauses:) And you're sure Darren doesn't need anything? Okay, fine. (Another pause:) You're going on that trip to Europe, too? Good--I'm glad Darren talked you into it, you need to get away for awhile from this. (Pauses:) You'll go right after Darren calls you? I suppose that'll do. Yes, Millie, fine. If Darren needs something, tell him not to hesitate to call me. (Pauses:) Good night, dear sister. (Clicks off phone)

VOICE: (Apparently female from William's bedroom, seductive:) C'mooon, honeypot!

WILLIAM: (Tosses phone on couch, thought v.o., looks up in a giddy mood: Perfect, this is just perfect! Everything's going according to my plan!) Coming, babydoll, coming! (Goes into his room, shuts the door, muffled laughing is heard)

(The Morgendorffer home, the next morning:)

Jake and Helen were going through their customary getting-ready-for-work rituals, and Quinn and Daria watched them while sitting at the kitchen table, though this time, both were not in their nightclothes. Daria leaned over to Quinn and spoke.

DARIA: (In a low voice:) Okay, Quinn--now remember, we know Mom's not going to say anything to us about what's going on, so we'll have to get it out of dad. (Watches Helen go back upstairs:) Now's our chance to get it out of him with mom upstairs.

QUINN: (Also in a low voice, smirks:) Don't worry, Daria--I just know dad will tell me about the gift he and mom are gonna get me. (Gets a "Wait a second" frown on her face:) Hey, why are you helping me get my gift? (Narrows her eyes:) Oh, I see! You want something out of this, too! Well, it's my birthday, so why can't you wait 'till your own birthday to get something, Daria?

DARIA: (In an exasperated tone:) Quinn for the last time, I'm not--(sees that this approach with Quinn isn't working, so she goes along with Quinn's "conclusion" to achieve the desired result, sighs:) okay, Quinn, you got me. All I wanted to see was what mom and dad were gonna get you for your birthday. I'm just--a little curious, that's all, so how about checking with dad like we planned?

QUINN: (Looks at Daria suspiciously, then relents:) Um, okay. (Sees Jake rushing into the kitchen getting his coffee, goes over to him at the counter, and turns on the charm with her hands behind her back:) Oh, Daaad! I need to talk to you for a minute, pleeease?

JAKE: (While in a rush:) Gotta go, sweetie, Daddy's gonna be late! (Drinks his coffee and gobbles down a doughnut from the pack of a dozen of them on the counter)

QUINN: It's just for a minute, okay? (Gets a "puppy dog" look in her eye)

JAKE: (Relents, not being able to resist:) Okay, sweetie, but only for a minute.

QUINN: Umm--I was wondering what you and mom were gonna get me for my birthday gift?

JAKE: (Thinks for a second:) Gee, Quinn, your mom and I haven't thought about getting one for you yet. Did you have anything that you wanted in mind?

QUINN: (While looking up:) Weeell...if you go to Cashman's at the mall--

JAKE: (Reacting to the word "mall", panics a bit:) --Um, sweetie, how did you know about the mall? You're not supposed to know about the meeting your mom and I will have there at five today! (Daria cocks an eyebrow at this)

QUINN: (Confused now:) Meeting? What meeting? All I wanted was--

JAKE: (Really panicking now:) OH, NO! You do know about the meeting? (Looks around, sweats, eyes wide open:) Helen will skin me alive! (Puts both hands on Quinn's shoulders, looks her dead in the eyes:) Quinn, promise me you won't tell your mom about this--(looks over at Daria:) and that goes for you too, Kiddo!

DARIA: (Smirks:) Don't worry, Dad--Quinn and I certainly won't tell mom.

JAKE: (Looking relieved:) Gee, thanks, girls! (Glances at his watch:) Wow, I gotta go! (Rushes out the front door)

QUINN: (Utterly stunned she wasn't allowed to finish what she wanted to say:) But Daaad--(stomps:) damn it!

Helen came back downstairs in a rush with her briefcase in hand, barreling by her daughters. She stopped just as she opened the front door, and looked back to the girls.

HELEN: Goodbye, girls! There's--

DARIA: (Cutting her off:) --Yeah, Mom, we know--frozen microwavable lasagna in the freezer. See ya--and show 'em who's boss. (thought v.o.: Like you do here)

QUINN: (Sounding desperate, tries for Helen's ear:) Say, Muh--oom--

HELEN: --Can't stop now, sweetie! (Leaves)

QUINN: (Completely frustrated now:) AAAAGH! I couldn't get to tell them about what gift I wanted!

DARIA: (Sighs:) Quinn, didn't you hear dad say something about a meeting at Cranberry Commons today at five? We wanted to know what was going on, remember?

QUINN: (Baffled:) Yeah, I remember--but how is that a gift to you? I mean, I'm the one getting the gift.

DARIA: (Smirks:) I can find out what big secret mom and dad are keeping from us--that's my gift.

QUINN: (Still a bit baffled by what Daria has said, but is suddenly determined not to be left out, narrows eyes:) Oh, no, not without me, you won't! This is my gift, do you hear? Mine!

DARIA: (Raises an eyebrow at this:) Are you sure you want to come, too? (Smirks:) You're not afraid your fashion "comrades" might see you with me there?

QUINN: (Ponders this for a second, then:) I'll just say I convinced you to give fashion make-overs a try, and they'll believe that! (Shrugs as an afterthought:) Besides, Sandi just left town with her family and won't be back until early next week, and Tiffany and Stacy also just left town with their families, and won't be back until the day after Sandi comes back, and if anyone else asks, I can just use the same excuse.

DARIA: (Rolls her eyes, usual deadpan:) Ah, I see you've gotten all of your bases covered, haven't you?

QUINN: (Shakes her head slowly in a "She just doesn't get it" way:) Daria, this isn't football we're talking about here! I'm just watching out for what gift I'm getting, and when I find out what it is, I can tell Sandi and the rest of the Fashion Club!

DARIA: Don't you mean brag about what your "gift" is to Sandi--(smirks:)?

QUINN: (In a faux "Why, what do you mean?" voice, slightly annoyed:) Dariaaaa, for the last time, Sandi and I aren't rivals, we're friends!

DARIA: (Usual deadpan:) Yeah, like Caesar and Brutus, and Lee and Grant.

QUINN: Exactly! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna catalog all of the clothes in my closet--gotta make room for that gift! (Leaves to go upstairs)

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: There is no excuse for you, "cuz". Oh well, at least I can relieve my boredom a little by finding out about this clandestine meeting mom and dad are having with this "Darren" guy.) (Goes upstairs to her room)

(Scene changes to the Appleton mansion, at the same time)

Darren, in a hooded dark blue sweatsuit, was almost finishing his usual morning jog around the mansion's grounds thinking about today, a day that could change his life, possibly forever. It was a beautiful and clear summer morning, and the birds chirped their beautiful and clear melodies. Darren thought about the dense woods that surrounded the estate, which provided the perfect cover for him to do all the jogging he wanted without any prying from the media hordes that, while thinning out, were still surrounding the front gate of the Appleton property. He chuckled grimly to himself over the "cover" part, for in a way, the word "cover" was symbolic, as he was about to meet the two people that gave him birth, and he was going to meet them under the cover of a thin disguise. He felt uneasy about this, especially after his call to Helen Morgendorffer the previous night. Darren thought about the misgivings he had read in her conversation, and now he was going to meet her and his birth father, Jake Morgendorffer, under less than truthful circumstances. He quickly put this thought in the back of his mind when he saw the mansion coming into view.

Darren jogged right up to the front door and rang the bell. Elenor let him into the foyer while holding a towel.

DARREN: (While breathing in and out slowly to decrease his heart rate:) Hello, Elenor. It's a great day today, isn't it?

ELENOR: (Smiles, and hands him the towel:) It is, indeed, Master Darren, and hopefully it will be for your meeting with your birth parents. By the way, Master Curtis called while you were out. He wanted you to call him as soon as you came in.

DARREN: (While wiping his face:) Ah, thank you, Elenor. I'll call him right now, and then take a shower and change. I'll eat breakfast afterwards. (Hangs towel around his neck)

ELENOR: Very good, Master Darren. (Leaves)

Darren went to his room upstairs to call Curtis. As soon as the first ring was heard, he could hear Curtis' excited voice on the other end.

CURTIS: Hey, "scrub", I see you got that customary jog in!

DARREN: (Grins:) Sure did--and did you get your "friend" Lena in, too? I just hope it wasn't in the early morning, or her daddy would've skinned you alive!

CURTIS: (Chuckles:) Nope, I hate to disappoint you, but I got her to her house just under her curfew, so I get to live yet another day. Now, what happened? Did you find your birth parents?

Darren told the entire story about how he was illegally adopted and what Turley had done to bring it about, and of his birth parents.

CURTIS: (Sounding angry:) I can't believe that a doctor could do something like that for money! That--that sick son of a--

DARREN: --Whoa there, compadre. I'm still peeved at the "bad" doctor myself, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. I'm going to go on with living for the future. Besides, Turley's dead, and I can't keep hating a dead man.

CURTIS: (Voice grows quiet:) Nah, I guess not. (Lightens his tone:) At least you can now meet these--Morgendorffers, and your two sisters! (Chuckles:) You do realize if you get tight with this "Daria" and "Quinn", you'll have to keep the boys at bay, because (gets into a masculine "protective" voice:) "No one's good enough for my little sisters".

DARREN: (Laughs:) Oh no, uh-uh, don't go there. I've figured if they've lived their lives on their own without me for this long, they can take care of themselves. You're telling me this from your own experiences, Mr. Watley that you've had with your two sisters, Juanita and Laflita, so count me out, my good man.

CURTIS: Bah, it was worth a try. (Pauses:) So, when are you going to meet your birth parents?

DARREN: (Hesitant:) Er, um--today. In fact, I'm going to be leaving right after breakfast.

CURTIS: (Sounding surprised:) Oh. Well, I don't want to keep you then--good luck with your meeting and call me later, okay?

DARREN: Sure, and--Curtis? (Gets a pained look on his face)

CURTIS: Hmm? What?

DARREN: Umm--nothing, it can wait until later. Take it easy, bud.

CURTIS: (Pauses:) Chill. (Hangs up)

DARREN: (Frowns, thought v.o. after hanging up: Nice going, you idiot. You didn't tell him of your little ruse that you have planned for the Morgendorffers. What are you afraid of--them getting their hands on your money? Maybe you think Curtis would tell you you're crazy and wrong for doing this, and that he might be right? Well, you're deep in it now, old boy, so you might as well go on with it, and let the chips fall where they may.) (Gets up in a huff and goes into his bathroom)

(Scene swicthes to Helen Morgendorffer's law office in Lawndale, about an hour later)

In her office, Helen was probably more agitated and nervous than she had ever been before in her life (if that was at all possible), far worse than even the night before she took her bar exam. She could barely concentrate on her work, nearly snapped at her secretary Marianne for a typing error over a summons correspondence, and almost forgetting to meet with Eric over a deposition with a client. She sat at her desk, frowning in thought and rubbing her temples, bothered by what lie ahead with meeting this "Darren" person. Would he even come, and if so, what would he say? Would she recognize him? (Helen dismissed Jake possibly doing this for some reason,) In a moment, her main thought hit her like a ton of bricks: What if he really was the son she thought had died almost twenty years ago in childbirth? Helen shook her head quickly and and closed off her mind from that frame of thought.

HELEN: (Thought v.o.: It's impossible Helen, the police had investigated for any mistakes on Turley's part, and finding none on that bastard, had cleared him. Your baby is dead. Gone. Turley's dead and gone, too. Oh, God...)

The pressure became too much to bear as she suddenly got up and went to Marianne.

HELEN: (In her falsetto sweet voice:) Marianne, could you please tell Eric I'm leaving for the rest of the day? Something really personal and important has just come up that I couldn't possibly ignore any longer. (Leaves:) Tell him I'll call later to explain, thank you, dear!

MARIANNE: (While typing:) All right, Helen. (Thought v.o., sighs: Thank God she's gone! I don't know how much more of that I could've taken!)

(Scene changes to Jake's office, about ten minutes later)

Jake was half-heartedly listening to a male client talk about an idea for a liquid-filled drink coaster, occasionally nodding his head as if he were listening. The other half of his mind was on the pending meeting with this "Darren" fellow. Could it be possible this young man was his son? What would he--check that, Helen say? He was frowning, trying to figure out what to do when his client spoke.

CLIENT: (Excited:) --And that's what I think about it, Jake. What do you think? Is it a plausible idea?

JAKE: (Startled, coming out of his stupor:) Huh? Oh yeah, it could work if you sell it right. (Looks at watch:) Uh--can we talk about this more tomorrow before I go on vacation? I--just remembered a--family errand I gotta attend to, and it can't wait.

CLIENT: Eh? Oh, sure. (Gets up:) Same time, then?

JAKE: (Getting up too:) Sure, okay. (Shakes client's hand, client leaves)

After a few minutes of gathering some papers in his briefcase, Jake was about to leave himself when he opened his door to find Helen coming up.

JAKE: (Pleasantly surprised:) Helen! I was just thinking about coming to you to talk about--

HELEN: --The meeting, Jakey? Me too--I can't get any work done, either. Maybe we should talk about what this--"Darren's" going to say to us, and what will be said to him.

JAKE: Yeah! Where do you wanna go?

HELEN: (Narrows her eyes:) We don't dare go home, that's for sure. (Looks at watch:) We've got about six hours until he shows up. (Thinks for a second:) I know! Let's go to the Sedimentary Rock Country Club and Links! It's out of the way, and we can rent out a guest room there for a few hours to freshen up. We'll call the girls and tell them we'll be late coming home, and we'll follow each other in our cars to the club, and then to the mall.

(Note to reader: see the "Daria Diaries" for the location of the links)

JAKE: All right! I can rent some clubs and get in a few holes on my golf game! (Helen frowns at him) Oh c'mon, honey, pleeeease? It'll help me think and relax, and I haven't played in a few weeks! (Gives "puppy dog" look Quinn gave him earlier)

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes, sighs:) Jake, even if I allowed you to do so, how would you play the links? You don't have any golfing clothing! Now, I know you played Windsor Hills in your suit following Erin's wedding--(begins to get angry, talks through clenched teeth:) at night--but this is almost the middle of the day in the heat of the summer! You'll burn up!

(Note to reader: for the "Suit & golf" thing, see the episode "I Don't")

JAKE: (Swallows hard, gathers the courage to speak:) D-don't worry, honey! I have a locker there with golf clothes and shoes, and some extra clothes! so can I play? (Begins to sound like a kid begging his mom to want something:) Huh? Huh? Huh? Hu--

HELEN: (Throws her arms in the air:) All right, Jake, all right! You can play some damn holes!

JAKE: (Giddy with delight:) YAHOO! (Hugs and kisses Helen:) Thanks, honey! You're the greatest! Last one there is a rotten egg! (Runs out)

HELEN: (Sighs, closes Jake's door behind her, following Jake, thought v.o.: At least Jakey will be relaxed when we meet this "Darren". Too bad I can't say the same for myself.)

(The Appleton mansion, at the same time)

Darren walked down the stairs with his bags and other belongings in hand. When he went outside, he was surprised to see the mansion's entire staff waiting for him in the front along with his aunt and uncle. Elenor and Claude took his bags.

DARREN: (Smiles, looks around at everyone:) I see you're all here to see me off.

MILLIE: (Walks up to Darren, hugs him:) We all wanted to wish you good luck, Darren.

WILLIAM: (Walks up to Darren, shakes his hand:) I want to wish you good luck as well, Darren.

DARREN: Thanks, Aunt Millie, Uncle Will. (Goes up to a sobbing Elenor and hugs her:) Goodbye, Elenor--take care. Hey, don't cry--I'll be back soon.

ELENOR: (Wipes her eyes:) I know that, Master Darren--it's just I'm so happy for you to get to meet your birth parents.

DARREN: (Smiles, in a soft voice:) Thank you, Elenor.

Darren shook Claude and the rest of the staff's hands, and they in turn wished him luck. Darren then looked around frowning, perplexed.

DARREN: Say, where's the rental car? I thought it would be out in front--?

WILLIAM: Ah, sorry, Darren--it's located about five miles from here. We wanted to slip you by the horde of reporters out front, and I don't think the limo will work this time.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Then how will I get to the car, Uncle Will?

WILLIAM: Why, by the helicopter, of course. The car is sitting by an open field with our security team waiting for you. I figured that the reporters won't be able to follow you if you go by that manner. Besides, I'm going to--occupy their attention while you get away. (Motions to the waiting helicopter, which begins to warm up:) It's all yours, my boy, and once again, good luck.

MILLIE: Be sure to call after your meeting, Darren--I won't go to bed until you do. (Hugs him one more time)

DARREN: Okay, Aunt Millie, and you be sure to take off for Europe after I do.

WILLIAM: (Steps in, grins:) Don't worry, Darren--I'll make sure she does.

Darren walked out to the helicopter after Claude, Elenor, and the pilot put his bags in it, and got on, waving goodbye one more time. The helicopter then slowly lifted off the mansion's helipad and flew over the trees and out of sight.

MILLIE: (Looking downcast:) Surely he'll be all right, William?

WILLIAM: (Smugly, comes up beside Millie, and puts his arm around her shoulder while looking in the direction of the helicopter:) Not a doubt of it, Millie. (Looks at the front of the mansion gates:) Well, I best get to those reporters and tell them to leave "Arthur Jr." alone. (Thought v.o.: And let them concentrate on me.) (Gets into back of waiting limo nearby, and it leaves)

Darren had requested a very "ordinary-looking" car to rent so as not to draw attention to himself (as well as deciding not to fly into the airport near Lawndale via the private jet), and he got his wish when he got out of the helicopter and found out it was a green Chevy Impala. After shaking the hands of each of the members of his security team, he got in the car and went on his way to Lawndale, and no one other than his aunt and uncle, Curtis, Elenor, and Claude, knew where he was going. (Everyone else thought he was going on a "long vacation".) Darren glanced over in the front seat to the new pictures Woo had scanned and sent to him over the Internet just an hour earlier. He now knew how Helen and Jake Morgendorffer looked, but he still didn't have any pictures of Daria and Quinn. He figured if things went well, though, he'd see his--sisters soon enough.

(The Morgendorffer home, about six-and-a-half hours later:)

Daria was sitting on her bed watching Sick, Sad World.

TV ANNOUNCER: (While theme music is playing:) Can your pets control your mind while you're asleep? A Sick, Sad World exclusive, next!

There was a knock on Daria's door.

DARIA: (Clicks off TV, deadpan:) I'm hibernating. Come back in 200 years.

Quinn came into Daria's room, exausted.

QUINN: (Wipes her face with a cloth, wearing a pink sweatsuit:) Whew! Well, I'm finished!

DARIA: If only that were true.

QUINN: Daria, are you ready to go to the mall? We don't have much time, you know.

DARIA: Yeah, I know. Don't worry--I've called a cab to take us there, since mom and dad have both cars.

QUINN: (Shocked:) Daria, are you nuts? Cabs cost money!

DARIA: (In her most sardonic, deadpan, monotonic voice:) Wow, you don't say--and here I'm thinking they were free. Silly me--I'd better call the cab place and demand to know why I have to pay them for picking us up, the bastards.

QUINN: (Rolls her eyes:) You know what I'm talking about. Why don't we take the bus?

DARIA: Because the last bus scheduled to leave Cranberry Commons is at 5:30, an hour from now, and we don't know how long this "meeting" will last.

QUINN: (Annoyed:) I could've gotten a guy to take us there and back, you know--Larry called a few hours ago to confirm our date for tonight, an' I could've had him to do all th' driving, an' he'd have us there an' back without mom an' dad knowing anything!

DARIA: (Infamous dry wit:) But you were having so much fun with your clothes "cataloging". I didn't want to take you away from that.

QUINN: (Thinks Daria paid her a compliment, touched:) Gee, that's okay, Daria, I wouldn't have minded.

DARIA: (Shakes her head slowly, gives up trying to understand Quinn:) Look, we'll share on the fare, okay?

QUINN: (Becomes hesitant, looking around uncomfortably:) Um--gosh, Daria, I don't think I'll have enough money to cover my half--

DARIA: (Smirks:) Nice try, "Slick", but I checked between your matresses yesterday, and you have plenty saved up, since mom and dad finally cracked down and forced you to save more of the money you get from them for your allowance.

QUINN: (Furious now:) You--you looked there? How dare you? (Turns around, preparing to leave:) Just for that, you can--

DARIA: (Grins now:) --Go by myself, and find out about the "gift"?

QUINN: (Turns around, calms down:) Okay, okay! Let me change! (Mutters to herself, leaving:) Gotta find a better place to hide--

DARIA: (Gets up, goes to the door, and looking out to Quinn in the hallway, raising her voice, deadpan:) --Like the secret place behind your dresser?

QUINN: (Shuts her eyes, frowns:) AAARGH! (Slams her door)

DARIA: (Goes up to Quinn's door, voice the same:) How about the place behind your mirrors?

QUINN: (From her room, muffled:) Shut up, Daria!

Smirking, Daria went back to her room to call the cab company to say when she and Quinn wanted to be picked up. She was about to get the cell phone laying on her bed when it rang on its own, and she grabbed it and turned it on.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Hello--hell headquarters.

VOICE: (Ignoring Daria's comment:) Daria, it's me. Your father and I are--um, going to go out tonight, and we may be a little late. You and Quinn can get that extra frozen microwavable lasagna out of the freezer and have it for dinner tonight. Be good, sweetie. (Hangs up)

DARIA: (To herself:) "That" again? She's got to be kidding. (Pauses, smirks:) Me? Good? Yeah, right. (Turns off the cell phone, then back on to call the cab company)

(Scene changes to the Sendimentary Rock Country Club and Links, rented guest room in the club)

Sitting on the bed, Helen turned off her cell phone and looked over at Jake, who had played a nine-hole round of golf and had showered and put on some more clothes. He was laying on his back across the covers on the other side of the queen-sized bed, snoring with a happy look on his face. She rolled her eyes and got up to stretch, then reached over to shake and wake up her husband.

HELEN: Jake! JAKE! It's time to go! Wake up!

JAKE: (Groggy:) Hmmyeah, I'mup. (Goes back to sleep)

HELEN: (Angry:) JAKE, WAKE UP! (Jake leaps up off the bed)

JAKE: (Looks around, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed:) I'm up, Helen! Hey, did you call the girls?

HELEN: (Sighs:) Yes, Jake--I told them we'd be late coming in, and for them to get dinner out of the freezer.

JAKE: Good! (Pauses:) Um--ready to go, dear?

HELEN: (Glares at Jake:) As ready as I'll ever be, Jakey. (Gets up:) Let's go, and remember, let me do the talking. Pay the desk on our way out.

JAKE: (Frustrated:) Aw, gee, honey--can't I say anything to this guy?

HELEN: (While opening the door out of the room, sounding annoyed:) Yes, Jake--you can say hello. (Leaves out with Jake)

JAKE: All rig--geez, Helen, just "hello"?

HELEN: (Stops in her tracks really angry, Jake almost runs over her:) Yes, Jake--just hello! Now, be quiet and follow me there, okay?!

JAKE: (Quietly, a little timidly:) O-okay, dear. (Looks down sadly)

HELEN: (Sighs, walks up to hug Jake:) I'm--I'm sorry for shouting at you, Jakey--I guess I'm a little--nervous. (Frowns, becoming angry:) How dare this--this--"Darren" do this to us, by dragging up those horrible memories like this? Our baby is dead! We saw the body!

JAKE: (Reluctantly speaking:) Helen--well--uh--

HELEN: (Inquisitive look:) What, Jake?

JAKE: --Well, what if this "Darren" guy is--

HELEN: (Suddenly in Jake's face, enraged:) --DON'T YOU DARE GO THERE, JAKE! OUR BABY IS DEAD! DO YOU HEAR?! DEAD! (Helen's screaming draws the attention of some of the other guests, who are looking out of their rooms, and she notices:) WHAT-IN-THE-HELL-ARE-YOU-ALL-LOOKING-AT?! (All the doors shut at the same time) Now, let's get the hell out of here, and put this "Darren" guy in his place, Jake! (She storms off, and a quivering Jake follows Helen down the hallway)

(In the "Stopover Motel", beside a highway near Lawndale, about the same time)

Darren stepped out of his room with a map of Lawndale and Woo's pictures of his birth parents, and took a deep breath. He put on his sunglasses, looked at his watch, went out to his car, and got in.

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: This is it, hop to it.) (Starts up the car and drives out of the motel's parking lot)

(Scene is now at Cranberry Commons mall, about 15 minutes later)

Darren walked into the mall's food court area and looked around. It was a large, open, and airy space, with several angled glass panes in the ceiling above the seating area. The area was surrounded by tall interior trees that were embedded in separate plant beds that encompassed the area on three sides. Beyond this, there were benches on each side. Darren looked at his watch, and saw that he had come a little early, so he decided to get a snack at a nearby food stand while waiting. It was called It's A Nutty, Nutty, Nutty World. He ordered a soda and some peanuts, looked strangely at the cashier, who had given the company's customary greeting, and went to find a seat at one of the tables in the middle of the area, so that the Morgendorffers would be able to see him.

(Note to reader: Of course, for the "greeting", see "It Happened One Nut")

Helen and Jake walked into the mall's main shopping area and began to make their way to the food area.

HELEN: (While hurrying along, frowning:) Now, remember, Jake--let me do the talking to this--this--phony.

JAKE: (Staying at Helen's pace, silly grin on his face:) Okay, Helen!

Meanwhile, on the other end of the mall, Daria and Quinn were just coming in.

QUINN: Daria, how do we find mom and dad?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) You could hone in on mom's purse and dad's wallet, and we'd be there in no time flat.

QUINN: (Glares at Daria:) Ha.

DARIA: (In a serious tone:) I guess we should put ourselves in their place and wonder, "If we're gonna meet someone, where would we go"? I'm thinking one of the restaurants or the food court. (Considers:) Let's check out the food court first. It's open, and we can see them easily from far away without them seeing us first. (Begins to walk in the direction of the food court)

QUINN: (Becomes excited, walks with Daria:) I can't wait to see what gift they're gonna get me! I hope it's something that I really deserve!

DARIA: (More deadpan, looks around in a faux concerned way:) I don't know if they can fit a firing squad in here, Quinn--now a guillotine, that's feasible. Or, perhaps a stretch rack--maybe--

QUINN: (Angry:) --Oh, be quiet, Daria! (Rolls her eyes while Daria smirks)

Darren was chewing the peanuts from his bag when he caught a wide-eyed glimpse of his birth parents, nearly choking on the peanuts. He quickly gulped down the soda and stood up to get their attention.

Helen and Jake were walking into the food court when they saw a young man standing in the middle of the area looking at them. Helen gasped, wide-eyed, while Jake, much as she expected, stopped and looked at his wife without noticing what was going on.

JAKE: (Confused:) Helen, what's wrong?

Helen said nothing. She simply stared at this young fellow, and slowly walked up to him, with Jake in tow. He looked quite tall and handsome, with broad shoulders, and a chin that looked somewhat like Jake's, but not as pronounced. He had a full head of wavy reddish-brownish hair, and deep-blue eyes. Her eyes. In fact, he looked a lot like her from the chin up.

(Note to reader: Draw that, you fanfiction-artists--please?)

HELEN: (Stares at him, completely at a loss for words:) I--I--oh my God. Are--are you--Darren? (Reaches out to shake his hand, trembling)

DARREN: (Himself a bit nervous, shakes her hand:) Y-yes, ma'am. (Also looks at Jake:) I'm the person you talked to last night, Mrs. Morgendorffer. (Reaches out to shake Jake's hand:) And you're Mr. Morgendorffer, sir?

JAKE: (Shakes Darren's hand:) Huh? Oh, yeah. (Looks at Helen, in a low, sly voice:) Get'em, honey. (Helen glares at Jake, Darren frowns at him, perplexed)

DARREN: (Confused:) I'm sorry, but--?

HELEN: (Coming out of her stupor:) DAMN IT, JAKE! (Begins to cry:) Can't you see he's our son? Look at him! I was wrong! Thank God I was wrong! (To Darren's surprise, she grabs him in a fierce hug, Darren stands there, stunned)

JAKE: (Stares hard at Darren, eyes narrow, then suddenly wide-open:) Oh my God, Helen, you're RIGHT! (He hugs both Helen and the still-stunned Darren, and starts to cry as well, while some nearby shoppers gawk at the scene for a moment, and then go about their business)

Daria and Quinn arrived at the edge of the food court just in time to see both their parents hugging what appeared to be a young man. From their vantage point, however, they could only see the back of the man's head. Both were still too far away to get too close without their parents spotting them, so Daria stopped, (as did Quinn) and watched in stunned silence.

DARIA: (Eyelids slightly going wide:) What the hell--?

QUINN: (Narrows her eyes:) EWWWW! What're mom and dad doing with that guy? (Does a bit of a double-take, gasps:) I can't see his face, but I'll bet he's cute! (Daria rolls her eyes and approaches Quinn, gently taking her arm) Huh? What--

DARIA: (Index finger on her mouth, speaking in a low voice:) Shhh! You want mom and dad, and that "Darren" guy to notice us? Let's find a place around here where they can't see us.

Both Quinn and Daria sat down at one of the benches behind the trees. They saw the young man, with his back still to them, sit down at a table with their parents, who were facing both Morgendorffer sisters. Daria looked around in frustration.

DARIA: Damn! We can't risk getting any closer without our parents seeing us.

QUINN: (Looks at the back of the head of the young man dreamily, sighs:) That's okay, Daria. I could sit here and watch this guy all night.

DARIA: (Raises an eyebrow, deadpan:) Quinn, you can't see this guy's face, remember? How do you know what he looks like?

QUINN: (Still in a dreamy voice:) Oh, I know, Daria--trust me, I know. (Daria gives a "Why do I even bother to ask"? look at her)

Darren sat down at the table wide-eyed with his birth parents a bit shaken. He had half-expected his birth mother and father to be skeptical over seeing him and hearing what he was going to say, but their reaction caught him totally off-guard. He took a deep breath and began to speak.

DARREN: Hello, er--(looks for words:) this is a little awkward, you understand--what should I call you two?

HELEN: (Wipes her eyes, now a little lost for words herself:) Um, well--that's a good question, er--Darren--do you want to call us just--well--

DARREN: --No, uh, offense, ma'am--but would you and your husband mind if I just called you Helen and Jake?

HELEN: (Looks slightly disappointed he didn't say "Mom" and "Dad", but agrees:) Oh--sure we don't! (Looks at Jake:) Right, Jake?

Jake simply stared at Darren with a fatherly glaze in his eyes, slightly smiling. Darren looked at Jake a little uneasily.

JAKE: (Thought v.o.: I can't believe what I'm seeing. A son. My son. Take that, Old Man--)

HELEN: --JAKE! (Jake snaps out of his trance) Jake, Darren asked if we wouldn't mind if he called us by our first names! You don't mind, do you?

JAKE: (Looks slightly disappointed Darren doesn't want to call them "Mom" and "Dad", agrees:) Oh--sure, honey! No problem! (Holds a thumb up at Darren, with a silly grin on his face)

Darren looked at the two with a quick, strange look on his face, eyebrow raised, as if to say, "What in the world is going on with these people?", then reluctantly went on. He talked to them about the deaths of his (adopted) parents (making sure to change their names), and saying quickly that he didn't want to talk about how it happened, at least not right now. Helen cried over their son's loss, saying she now understood why Darren would want to call her and Jake by their first names (Jake nodded in agreement), for Darren felt he would disrespect his deceased (adopted) parents otherwise. Darren then talked about the tape his (adopted) parents made, (with some alterations) and about the Barnes Adoption Agency, and of hiring Woo (using some of the money his parents "left" him from their will) to find out what was going on. He then began to talk about his and Woo's trip to the hospital, and of finding a sick and dying Turley. All of what was told was stunning to Helen and Jake, who had not said a word up to this point. Helen now spoke up.

HELEN: (Completely shocked:) An adoption agency that looked legitimate on the surface, but was illegitimate underneath? B-but how did you get to be adopted, Darren--(frowns:) and what does that dead bastard Turley have to do with it?

DARREN: (Looking slightly surprised:) You know Turley's dead? (Both Helen and Jake nod, Helen tells Darren about the call she made last night) Hmm--now when I think about it, I suppose you would've called to find out about Turley. (Pauses:) Well, you two had best prepare yourselves for what I'm about to tell you the night I was born. I can only hope you can keep control of your anger, though I won't blame you if you can't. (Helen's eyes get wide, looks at Jake, who immediately responds)

JAKE: Don't worry, Helen--I promise not to go crazy over this. I won't make a scene, dear. (Looks at Darren seriously, talking in a quiet tone:) He's our son.

HELEN: (Stares at Jake, almost in rare admiration:) Very well, Jake--go on, Darren.

DARREN: All right--oh, and one more thing--this story is difficult enough to tell as it is. I'd like to ask if both of you could please not interrupt me to ask questions while I'm talking. (Both nod, Darren goes on)

(Flashback: Turley's hospital room with Darren sitting by the bed, Turley in it, Martha and Woo standing beside it)

TURLEY: (Looking at his wife, Martha:) --Honey, it happened while you were out of town visiting some of your friends. (Looks back and forth between Darren, Martha, and Woo:) You see, I was in some serious gambling debts with some loan sharks, and I was counting on a pregnant runaway the "agency" had sent to me to have a baby that she wanted to give away. I heard that some people wanted to pay up to $50,000 for a baby to the "agency", and with my standard 50% cut, I could settle up easily with the loan sharks and have plenty left over for that trip you wanted us to take to Aruba, remember, dear? (Martha rolls her eyes) It was supposed to be the usual thing: The mother has the baby for the "agency", which pays a small "fee" to the mother, give the baby to the "agency", and the "parents" pay the "agency" money and take the baby. No muss, no fuss--like clockwock.

(Present: Helen narrows her eyes in anger at this "trade"--Darren continues)

Turley looked down for a second, then continued.

TURLEY: Only this time, something went wrong. When the baby, a boy, was born, it was already dead, deprived of oxygen. I was stunned, I couldn't believe it. The young woman then told me she had been drinking and smoking like there was no tomorrow. I wanted to beat the hell out of her for what she had done--I mean, how could someone do something like that, right? (Darren and the others roll their eyes at Turley's hypocrisy) I figured it would draw the cop's attention, though, if I did, so I backed off. Besides, it was no skin off of her, she had said, she didn't want the baby anyway, but then, she had the nerve to demand some sort of "compensation" for her "trouble". I gave her a hundred bucks, and told her to beat it. I was in some deep crap now. The sharks had told me to have the money day after tomorrow, or they'd kill me--or you, honey. (Martha looks stunned) I couldn't let them do that, could I? (Pauses:) Anyway, I was at my wit's end. I put the dead baby's body in a plastic bag to throw away for later, and cleaned up the place.

(Present: Darren stops for a moment to gather his thoughts. Helen and Jake look horrified. Darren then continues.)

TURLEY: (Looking at a horrified Darren:) Hey, look--the baby eventually got a decent burial--but I'm getting ahead of myself. It was getting late, and I was getting desperate. What in the hell was I going to do? I sat in the middle of the floor, staring at nothing. I don't know how long I was out of it, but then I heard a car coming up outside, and that snapped me out of it. A fella and his pregnant wife got out of the car and came up to the house. It was clear to me that she was really in labor, and she about to have the baby any second. (Sees Darren narrow his eyes, angered) I know what you're thinking, so take it easy son, if you want to know who your parents are, okay? (Pauses:) I had to make a split-second decision. Yeah, it all came to me right then and there.

(Present: Helen and Jake look at each other in a terrible realization--they begin to get a sinking feeling in their stomachs--Darren keeps talking)

TURLEY: These people named--let's see,--a--Helen--and--a--Jake Morgendiff--no, wait--Morgendorffer, yeah, Morgendorffer--that's it--came up to my home. I saw the clock and it was about 2:20 a.m. The father was completely crazy, I'd say a nut, even more than most fathers usually are when they're gonna be daddies. (Present: Jake frowns, but says nothing) The mother was a little calmer, at least. Well, anyway, they said they had heard of me from their neighbors, and so they came to me, seeing as they were so far from the hospital, and that the paramedics couldn't get to them in time. I told them they made the right choice, and prepared everything to get Mrs. Morgendorffer ready to have her baby. Her husband and I laid her her up on the table, and I then--(looks around at everyone:) made up a diagnosis that she needed to have a cesarean.

(Present: Helen looks as she is about to faint, but Jake holds her steady, looking enraged, but to his credit, says nothing--Darren continues)

TURLEY: Of course, for my plan to work, I needed the father out of the way. So I poured a little of the ether for the "surgery" on Mrs. Morgendorffer on the mask I gave to him, just enough that he couldn't smell it, but enough to knock him out.

(Present: Jake's eyes begin to turn red from being so angry, but Helen turns his head to her and mouths, "Control, Jakey, control"--it seems to work, for Jake calms down--Darren looks a bit apprehensive, but continues)

TURLEY: Mrs. Morgendorffer flipped when she saw her husband fall. I guess she figured he was something of a wimp, and didn't seem surprised.

(Present: Jake's back up to "Explode Mode", now. Darren looks at him, slightly concerned, but Helen, holding Jake, nods at Darren to continue--which he reluctantly does)

TURLEY: I then went into "emergency overdrive", telling her that her husband had fainted, and I couldn't help him and her. Under that pressure, I guessed she'd crack, which she did.

(Present: Now it's Helen's turn to get angry, with Jake holding her tightly, and motioning to Darren to continue the story, and he does with a slight pause)

TURLEY: After I put Mrs. Morgendorffer out with the ether, I performed the cesarean cut on her to make it look legitimate and took the baby out--you, Darren. You were crying and pretty healthy. I put a little more ether on Mr. Morgendorffer's face to keep him out a little longer, and then called the "agency". Someone came over from the illegitmate side of the "agency", and I gave them the baby--you. The legitimate side of the "agency" got the story of the runaway mother and the unwanted baby, which they gave to your adoptive parents, Darren. I then took the dead baby and told the Morgendorffers it--their baby--had died. No one, save for your birth parents, really questioned what happened to it. I simply told the authorities the baby died from a lack of oxygen, that and my reputation as a good obstetrician saved me from being exposed. The Morgendorffers were natually devastated, of course, but I figured they were young enough to have more kids, you would be going to a (Present: Darren almost says "rich", but changes it to) good family, and the dead baby would have a decent funeral, whereas I would get my money. The way I saw it, everyone would come out on top, eh? (Slight smile while Darren grows furious)

Helen was softly crying now, with Jake holding her tenderly in his arms and thinking about ripping Turley's spine out of his back.

DARREN: (Pauses:) At that moment, I--lost it. I grabbed Doctor Turley's neck and began to choke him. If Woo and Mrs. Turley hadn't pulled me away from him, I might've--(grows quiet, looks down, closes eyes in pain)

Helen got up suddenly and went to Darren's side, hugging him. At first, Darren grew rigid, but then he began to hug her back. Jake got up and put a hand on Helen and Darren's backs.

DARREN: (Recovers:) Turley told me about the cemetary where you buried the baby you thought was me. (Helen leans against Jake, sobbing) It was abandoned--I figured you'd want to forget about what happened as soon as possible when I discovered you wanted to leave Dumas.

HELEN: (Looks alarmed through her tears:) It's true we wanted to get away from Dumas, but we didn't forget you, Darren! We just--

DARREN: (Cuts her off gently:) --You just didn't want to remember the pain. It's okay--really. I don't want to remember the deaths of my (adopted) parents. I know how you feel, believe me.

Daria had watched her parents go through a gamut of emotions with almost a sense of morbid curiousity. From what appeared to be joy for some reason or another, turned into anger, and then to sorrow. Perhaps for the first time in her life, Daria was thoroughly and utterly confused. What had been said to her parents from this--"Darren" that had done such a number on them like this? She looked over to Quinn, and for the first time, saw confusion on her face, too.

QUINN: (Looks lost:) Daria, what's going on? Why are mom and dad so sad? What did that handsome guy say to them?

DARIA: (Searches for words, then looks determined, frowns:) I don't know, Quinn, but I'm sure as hell am gonna go and find out--(gets up)

At this moment, Jodie and Mack arrived behind Daria and Quinn just as Daria was about to go over to the food court.

JODIE: Hey, Daria, Quinn. (Daria and Quinn are shaken a bit, Jodie and Mack are taken aback for an instant:) Hey, are you two all right? We didn't mean to scare you guys.

DARIA: (Looks at Quinn:) No, um--we were just a little startled, that's all, right, Quinn?

QUINN: (Gets Daria's "signal":) Uh, yeah, right, startled. (Looks back at the food court, then back to the group)

Jodie looked between the two and surmised immediately that something wasn't quite right, but decided to not press the issue right now. Mack then spoke.

MACK: (Smiles:) Hey, you two just hanging out, or what? Jodie and I wanted to get out of our home prisons, so we came down here to look around.

DARIA: (Resumes her expressionless tone:) Quinn and I came to the mall to just look around like you. You know, I thought with the summer coming into full bloom, you guys would be gone on vacation just about like everyone else in Lawndale. Jane and her mom went to Arizona, and my parents are planning to take Quinn and force me kicking and screaming to the beach next week.

MACK: (Smirks:) Kevin and Brittany's not here--at least for a week, and that's vacation enough for me. (Everyone snickers at this) Thank God for combination football and cheerleading camps. Hopefully, when they get back, me and my family will be gone to California to visit my grandparents.

JODIE: I'm going to a college expo in Seattle for two weeks next month. You know my dad--push, push, push for college. I figure I can get in some sightseeing and visit my aunt in nearby Redmond.

DARIA: (Smirks:) Redmond, eh? See if you can go by that video game company and pick up a copy of Cyberkron II. I've been itching to find out if it's good as the original. (Jodie smirks at this)

QUINN: (In a bit of a rush, steals glances at the food court:) Um, Daria, I'm gonna use the restroom, okay?

DARIA: (Occupied with talking to Jodie and Mack:) Sure, Quinn--(smirking:) don't fall in. (Mack and Jodie laugh at this, while Quinn gives Daria a quick glare, and goes on)

Darren and his birth parents were walking toward the outside front of the mall.

HELEN: (Surprised:)--A DNA test? I guess I can call the hospital and arrange for one--but I can take one look at you and know you're our son! Why do you want one?

JAKE: (Same reaction:) Yeah, why? (Leans over to Helen, low voice:) What's DNA, honey? (Helen looks up and sighs)

DARREN: I just want it to be official, that's all. Sounds a little crazy, I know, but I want everything to be on the level, with no doubts. (Grins:) Besides, wouldn't you want my sisters or any extended family members to have no lingering questions about whether or not I'm related to both of you by blood?

HELEN: (Eyes grow large:) OHMYGOSH! The girls! How will they react to this, Jake?

JAKE: (Smiles:) Gosh, Helen, I think they're gonna be happy! (Looks at Darren, laughs:) I know I am!

HELEN: (Chuckles:) I suppose you're right, Jakey. (Turns to Darren, gasps:) Oh, my goodness! Are you staying at a hotel or something? Because if you are, you can come stay with us, young man, and I'm not taking "no" for an answer! We have a guest room for you!

JAKE: ("Back up" mode:) Yeah, damn straight! My son's not gonna stay in some out-of-the-way-dump!

DARREN: (Smiles:) Actually, it's at a nice motel by the highway--the Stopover Motel. Let me go to my motel room, check out, and come to your home.

HELEN: (Ponders:) The Stopover Motel, yes, Jake and I know where that is--do you know where we live, Darren? We can follow you, and--

DARREN: --1111 Glen Oaks Lane, Helen. (Shows Helen and Jake his map:) See, I've even circled it. I found Cranberry Commons with no trouble, so your home shouldn't be any problem to get to, either. I can drive by the motel, get my stuff and check out. I'll meet you at your house in a while.

HELEN: (Considers:) Well, all right, Darren, if that's what you think is best. (Grabs Jake's arm:) Come on, Jakey, and then we can tell the girls that they have a--(sobs, hugs a startled Darren again:) a--brother!

JAKE: (Grins like an idiot:) Okay, Helen, but can we get some groceries first? (Looks at Darren:) Since he'll be staying with us for a while, don't you think we'll need more food in the house? (Helen rolls her eyes)

HELEN: (Exasperated sigh at Jake:) I suppose, Jakey.

DARREN: (Begins to reach for his wallet:) I can help pay--

JAKE & HELEN: (Adamant tone:) Absolutely not!

DARREN: But--

HELEN & JAKE: (Same tone:) NO! (Both leave)

Shaking his head slowly and chuckling, Darren watched Helen and Jake leave through the front doors, and then he went to the mall's side doors to get to his car. He had walked about a minute when he saw a bright-reddish long-haired young girl wearing a long-sleeved pink shirt with a yellow butterfly on the front of it, and blue jeans approaching him with a "cute" smile on her face, and her arms behind her back. Darren sighed to himself. Another girl attracted to him. When he had thought about it, several girls had asked him out at Eastward since Stephanie died, and he had turned them all down because he was still in mourning. Didn't they understand that he needed time to get past what had happened? It wasn't until Woo had pointed out his looks that it had occured to him about those times with the girls. Darren kindly gave the girl a "Here we go again" look as she spoke.

GIRL: (Gasps when she sees his face, goes into her singy-songy, slightly seductive voice:) Hi, I'm Quinn. You're that "Darren" guy, aren't you?

DARREN: (Surprised:) Uh--yes, I am. (Realizes something:) Say, how did you know my name? (Narrows eyes:) Wait a minute. Did you say "Quinn", as in Quinn Morgendorffer?

QUINN: (Delighted:) Yeah! So, you do know my name, an' who I am! I saw you with my parents at the food court. (Hesitates:) Um, they seemed to be crying an' stuff when you were talkin' to them--

DARREN: (Trying to recover from the fact that he's talking to a girl who could be his sister:) Ah, I can explain that--

QUINN: (Cuts him off:) --No, no, it's okay! I know the whole story!

DARREN: (Shocked:) You DO?

QUINN: Sure! You work at Cashman's, right? (Narrows her eyes:) You're probably new there because I definitely would have seen you, since that is the place to go for fashion in Lawndale. You see, I'm guessing you told my parents that you agreed to get the birthday gift they wanted for me--of course, when you told them the price of the gift, they got really upset and began to cry. You calmed them down, and then told them they could pay for it in monthly installments. (Smirks to Darren:) You can tell me what they're gonna get me, you know--maybe over dinner at Chez Pierre?

Darren looked at this girl, eyes wide open and mouth agape, utterly stunned, as if she had gone completely out of her mind. This was his sister?

QUINN: (Keeps talking:) You're shocked to be going out with someone like me? Well, I can't blame you, Darren. Lots of guys want to be with me, but I gotta say you might the cutest one I've ever met. (Reaches into her pocket, pulls out a compact:) Wait a second, will you? Gotta put on some rouge. (Begins to fix her face, while Darren continues to look at her, speechless)

Daria looked around for Quinn, annoyed. After talking to Jodie and Mack, she had called for another taxi to pick her and Quinn up. She had then waited for Quinn to come out of the restroom, and when Quinn didn't show, Daria knew something was up. She checked the food court out, and not seeing her parents or that "Darren" fellow, had put it all together. Quinn probably had followed them out, possibly wanting to talk to this --"Darren" alone about her "gift"--and possibly a date. Daria's suspicion was correct when she came to the side door and found Quinn talking to "Darren". Upon her first glance of his face, which was somewhat handsome, even though Daria wasn't the type to say something like that outright, save once for Trent, and--nope, that was a passing fancy, so put it out of your mind, Daria--there was something about him that looked familiar, somehow, but she couldn't seem to place it. Daria reluctantly walked up to them.

Darren was totally confused. This girl, possibly his sister, seemed to think he worked for Cashman's clothing, and was going to get a "gift" for her from her, and possibly his, birth parents! He was about to say something when he looked past Quinn and saw a plain-looking, short girl with brown shoulder-length hair, and wearing large, round-rimmed glasses and a green jacket over a dark orange shirt, with a black skirt and large, black, Doc Marten boots, coming towards them. As Darren watched her, he immediately noticed that she seemed to have a look of no emotion on her face. He became a bit concerned over this latest development--surely she wasn't interested in him as well? Quinn looked at Darren, caught his gaze, and frowned.

QUINN: Daria, do you mind? I'm trying to talk to this cute guy Darren about my gift!

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Perish the thought. I'm just wanting to tell you that when mom and dad come home and not find us there, they're gonna freak out. (Looks at Darren:) If you don't mind, uh--"Darren", we've got to go.

DARREN: (Looks at Daria, eyebrow cocked:) Daria, as in Daria Morgendorffer?

DARIA: (Glances at Darren, a little surprised:) Um, yeah, I'm Quinn's si--

QUINN: (Panics, cuts her off:) --Cousin! She's my cousin! (Daria frowns at Quinn)

DARREN: (Looks at Quinn strangely for a second, smiles at Daria:) I talked to you last night over the phone, Daria. You see--

QUINN: (Eyes wide open:) --You don't want to get her gift--Daria's birthday just passed! You're getting my gift, okay?

DARREN: (Having enough:) Look--I'm sorry, Quinn, but I don't know what you're talking about! I wasn't here to talk to your parents about getting you a "gift" from them! I came here to talk to your parents about a baby they thought they had lost almost twenty years ago!

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes:) Hold it. What do you mean thought they had lost? Our mom and dad (Quinn frantically nods her head "no" to Darren:) told us that we almost had a brother who was born, but died stillborn. What would you know about that?

DARREN: (Dramatic pause:) Because I'm that brother, Daria, and I'm alive.

Daria and Quinn looked at Darren wide-eyed, speechless, then Quinn fainted.

Go to Chapter 5   Chapter 6 ******************************************************************************