Through a Scooby Darkly

 

Original text ©2003 Roger E. Moore (roger70129@aol.com)

Daria and associated characters are ©2003 MTV Networks

Scooby-Doo is ©2003 Hanna-Barbera.

 

 

Feedback (good, bad, indifferent, just want to bother me, whatever) is appreciated. Please write to: roger70129@aol.com

 

Synopsis: Daria meets Scooby-Doo! Isn’t that great?

 

Author’s Notes: The events in this story are based on the opening scenes in “Through A Lens Darkly,” by Glenn Eichler. TALD is listed as “Daria” episode #301 at Outpost Daria (http://www.outpost-daria.com/), from which the original script was taken before it was tinkered with here. The original version of this story was called, “Daria Meets Scooby-Doo!” It is assumed that readers are familiar with the characters of the “Daria” show (and Scooby-Doo), so explanations of who is who are not needed.

 

Acknowledgements: Special thanks to the Unknown Fan who sent me what I needed to know about the scenes in “Through a Lens Darkly.” I am not worthy.

 

INT: Interior scene

EXT: Exterior scene

VO: Voice over (off screen)

 

 

 

1. EXT: DAYTIME, SUBURBAN STREET IN LAWNDALE

 

We start the scene in Lawndale as Daria Morgendorffer (driving the family SUV) gets tips from her mother, Helen, in the passenger seat. The car moves in fits and starts, weaving out of its lane occasionally.

 

 

2. INT: DAYTIME, INSIDE OF MORGENDORFFERS’ SUV

 

Daria is very tense as she drives. Helen is nervous, but she tries to calm her daughter.

 

HELEN: All right, Daria, don't start your turn till your front wheels are past the corner. That's it. Now, accelerate as you start to straighten. Good.

 

Coming out of the curve, Daria sees something to her left, on the opposite side of the street. She swerves the car violently in that direction.

 

HELEN: Watch out for the dog. Watch out, Daria!

 

 

3. EXT: DAYTIME, SUBURBAN STREET IN LAWNDALE

 

Scooby-Doo, walking on the sidewalk, looks up to see the SUV bearing down on him.

 

SCOOBY-DOO: [eyes huge, tries to flee in panic] Rook out!

 

 

4. INT: DAYTIME, INSIDE OF MORGENDORFFERS’ SUV

 

There is a loud thump as the car hits something. Daria slams on the brakes, and the tires squeal. Helen looks horrified.

 

DARIA: [looks around excitedly] Did I kill him? Did I kill him?

 

HELEN: [turns to look behind car, sighs in relief] Look, honey! He’s okay—sort of.

 

DARIA: [mumbles under breath] Damn it.

 

 

5. EXT: DAYTIME, SUBURBAN STREET IN LAWNDALE

 

Scooby-Doo is a short distance behind the car, limping. He looks back at the SUV with an angry expression.

 

SCOOBY-DOO: [ticked off] Roo rasshole!

 

 

6. INT: DAYTIME, INSIDE OF MORGENDORFFERS’ SUV

 

Daria sees Scooby-Doo behind her. She puts the SUV into reverse and floors the gas, watching over her shoulder.

 

HELEN: [screams] Daria!

 

DARIA: Don’t worry, Mom. I’ll see if he’s all right.

 

 

7. EXT: DAYTIME, SUBURBAN STREET IN LAWNDALE

 

SCOOBY-DOO: Rikes!

 

Scooby-Doo’s image is blocked out by the SUV slamming into (and running over) him.

 

 

8. INT: DAYTIME, INSIDE OF MORGENDORFFERS’ SUV

 

The SUV bounces up and down as it drives over Scooby-Doo with all four tires.

 

HELEN: [shrieks] You hit that dog again!

 

DARIA: [excited but calm] No, I’m sure that was a manhole cover or something. [throws car into drive again, mumbles under breath] God, that was close. Almost missed him.

 

 

9. EXT: DAYTIME, SUBURBAN STREET IN LAWNDALE

 

SCOOBY-DOO: [on ground, just in front of car, last gasp] Roh, no!

 

The SUV’s tires squeal as it hurls forward again. We cut away.

 

 

10. INT: DAYTIME, INSIDE OF MORGENDORFFERS’ SUV

 

The car lurches forward, bouncing again as it runs over Scooby-Doo once more.

 

HELEN: [almost hysterical] Daria, you just hit him a third time! Didn't you see him? Why did you do that?

 

DARIA: [checks rear-view mirror] Um, I was going back to check on him, but my glasses sort of blocked the view. Then I, uh, sort of forgot where he was. Sorry, Mom.

 

HELEN: You ran over that dog because you couldn’t see him in your peripheral vision? Don’t you think that’s a problem?

 

DARIA: Maybe for talking dogs.

 

HELEN: [panicked] Oh, my God, you’re right! He was a talking dog! We could liable for damages if anyone sees that we ran over him!

 

DARIA: Hmmm. Good point. [accelerates, leaving the area quickly]

 

HELEN: [calms down, takes a last glance back, sighs] Well, he was sort of annoying. No harm done.

 

DARIA: [nods agreeably] Would you mind telling Quinn that I killed him? She likes that show.

 

They drive away.

 

 

Original: 5/20/02

Revised: 1/20/03

Comedy, script, crossover (“Scooby-Doo”), alternate history

 

FINIS