Chapter Four

 

 

 

(Scene Twenty-Six: Outside of Lawndale High, several minutes later)

 

 

Darren was speaking on his cell phone.

 

 

DARREN: --You're welcome, Mr. Griffin. (Pauses, smirks:) All right, "Tom" it is, then. Sorry. I forgot you wanted to be called that from now on. If Tom Sloane happens to be around when you are though, I think it'll be safe to say that there's going to be some confusion. (Grins:) Maybe we can work out some nicknames to distinguish you two, or something, like "Tom One", or "Tom Two". (Chuckling is heard from the other end) I'll contact you after Ms. Li and I finish our “financial” discussion. Please thank your boss as well again for agreeing to do this. Goodbye. (Clicks off phone)

 

 

Darren dropped his cell phone in his shirt pocket, then reached down and grabbed his computer notebook, which sat at his feet on the sidewalk. He glanced at his wristwatch, and then began the trek inside to Ms. Li's office.

 

He chuckled to himself as he walked, recalling when he was with Quinn and her three "suitors," Joey, Jeffrey, and Jamie a few minutes earlier. The three, after inundating Quinn with their usual attentions, began to turn those same attentions to him right after Quinn had left during the first tardy bell. They offered to get him anything before he met Ms. Li, or even providing to be “bodyguards” to Darren between classes while he was visiting, practically babbling over one another.

 

Needless to say, Darren dropped an eyebrow and wordlessly gave each of the “Three J's” a very strange look. Other students, who had overheard as they were walking to their classes, did the same while whispering amongst themselves, and then giving their own strange looks to the “Three J's”.

 

After a moment of confusion over noticing Darren’s expression, then of sudden realization, Joey, Jeffrey, and Jamie practically had fallen all over themselves in denial. They frantically waved their arms in a panic as well, and even gave each other the evil eye in suspicion. They immediately accused one another of giving Darren the impression that they "swung that way", almost coming to blows.

 

Darren rolled his eyes in light amusement for a brief moment, sighed, and then after about 10 seconds of verbal assurances of understanding, (along with a gentle physical intervention of pulling them apart) they confessed that they simply wanted him to give a positive word about them to Quinn--and to stay on his "good" side.

 

Darren had winced a little in guilt as he continued to remember. He stopped walking for a moment.

 

I guess they still haven't gotten over what happened that day in that "Pizza King" place when I first "met" them--or when they first met me, that is. I'd suspect that they're still a little afraid of me, and they'd think I'd beat them up again, especially to keep them from having Quinn's "honor" besmirched, or something. I wonder if they knew how she felt about her former tutor. Quinn said she told them she was going to be too busy with her tutoring to go out on any dates with them during the school week--or with any other boys her age, it turned out. Daria said Quinn hadn't been out much after David Sorenson left, studying more at home when she wasn't with her friends...

 

Darren briefly frowned, deep in thought.

 

I think because of that, she still had him on her mind this morning when she said she didn't like guys like that "Kevin" anymore. Once you get a taste of the "real" stuff, you wouldn't want the "cheap" stuff anymore, I suppose. Silly as it is, I’m guessing she said nothing to them about Sorenson. I couldn’t blame her, after seeing the way these guys are, though I’m quite sure they’re pretty harmless, and aren’t the stalking type--I think. They just want to protect Quinn. I couldn’t fault them for that…

 

Darren told them that he couldn't make any promises, but that he'd do his best to put in a word or two to his “baby” sister for them. He also apologized once again about what happened in the Pizza King, and added that he simply wanted to be friends.

 

The “Three J's” became wildly ecstatic in their gratitude (and to their personal relief), so much so, that they nearly had given a combination of potential back and hand sores to Darren from patting and shaking each so hard repeatedly. Only when the second tardy bell rang, did the three stop, and immediately left inside for their classes, once again telling Darren that if he ever needed anything while visiting, to let them know.

 

Darren merely stared after them, and then shook his head slowly in disbelief. He wondered how Quinn could have survived their attentions for so long. After gathering his wits, he had called Tom Griffin’s office to talk about the "offer.”

 

Darren resumed his walk, going inside the high school. In the front hallway, he did a double-take, immediately noticing the flowers and banner Quinn had mentioned. Several types of flowers, from roses to carnations and daisies, had been placed in a huge bundle below the large, blue and gold colored banner, which read in capital letters, “Welcome to LHS, Darren!”

 

Darren stared at the sight for a long moment in disdain, sighed, and then walked over to garner a closer look. If nothing else, he did promise his sister and her friends that he would at least look at the "fruits" of their hard work. He gingerly stepped between the flowers, glanced up at the banner, hesitated for an instant, then reached up and felt the banner’s bottom middle with his right index finger and thumb. All the while his eyes were narrowed, examining it carefully.

 

Darren frowned, this time in shock.

 

This is unbelievable! It really is that, I'm sure of it! What sort of "connections" does this "Li" woman have to have spent and wasted that much money to have pulled this off?

 

Darren then gave a low chuckle to himself as he turned away from the banner.

 

I think I'm going to razz Quinn and her friends, even at the risk of them finding out about my “secret” ability. I thought they knew their fashions. If Candi found out about this, she'd skin them alive...

Darren only took two steps before he was suddenly approached from his right side by an eager and scrawny-looking, freckle-faced, redheaded teenager. This, of course, was Charles Ruttheimer the Third, better known to the denizens of the school (and around Lawndale, for that matter) as "Upchuck." Darren stopped and cocked an eyebrow at him.

UPCHUCK: (Grins, holds out hand:) Ah, Darren Appleton, the companion of the vivacious Jane Lane, and the brother of the lovely Morgendorffer sisters, I assume--? I wish to welcome you to our fair place of learning, my good man!

DARREN: (Suspiciously stares at Upchuck's hand, as if he’s hiding something:) Uh, thank you. I'm glad to be h-- (Slowly begins to shake his hand, then stops, realizes, narrows eyes:) wait a minute. Didn't I see you someplace before earlier this summer--?

UPCHUCK: (Pauses, looks apprehensive for an instant, but gamely continues:) Uh, yes. Yes you did, I'm afraid. (Swallows hard, lowers his hand, comes clean:) Er, the "Mr. Fun's World" arcade, as a matter of fact. We--bumped into each other there while you were with your sister Daria and Jane Lane.

DARREN: (Frowns deeper:) Ah, yes. The arcade. (Pauses:) Now I remember. (Pauses, dark tone:) You tried to come onto my sister and girlfriend--

UPCHUCK: (Quickly holds hands up, conciliatory tone, adds quickly:) --And I admit I was quite in the wrong for my actions, Darren--

DARREN: (Continues dark tone, sharply interrupts:) --That's "Mr. Appleton," to you--

UPCHUCK: (Gets the message:) --Uh, "Mr. Appleton." (Quickly lays it on thick in his butt-kissing tone:) I--had no idea that you and Miss Lane were dating one another at the time, really. (Pauses, slight head drop of "shame":) Once again, I sincerely apologize for my rather--blatant actions.

DARREN: (Pauses, sizes him up, sighs, then continues:) Fine. You're forgiven. (Realizes, cocks an eyebrow:) Ah, I don’t mean to be forward, but why aren’t you in your class? Do you have a first period study hall, or something--?

UPCHUCK: (Now grins, which this time slightly unnerves Darren. Proudly points to his right armband that reads "hall monitor", which Darren now notices:) The advantages of being a hall monitor, my good man. You see, it’s my job to scour the hallways for any possible late-arriving stragglers to class, and to report them immediately to our beloved principal, so she can lecture them on the error of their ways. We have cameras all over the school’s hallways, obviously, (gestures a hand at one down at the far end of the hallway) but Ms. Li wanted to add a “human” touch as well.

DARREN: (Droll look, glances at the camera:) Of course… (Thought v.o.: In other words, you’re the school “snitch”, empowered by Li. Figures… :)

UPCHUCK: (Continues:) As a matter of fact, just the other day, I fortuitously ran into your sister Daria and Miss Lane as they came in a bit tardy. I gave them slips, and sent them to her. (Quickly adds to Darren’s cocked eyebrow:) Nothing transpired of a-- (Pauses:) perverse nature, I can assure you. I was quite the gentleman, especially knowing that you were coming today, albeit earlier than I anticipated, and I did not wish to get Miss Morgendorffer or Miss Lane antagonized at me anymore than they already were. (Chuckles, in a half-serious tone, hopeful look:) I--hope you don’t hold that I was merely doing my job against me, Mr. Appleton.

DARREN: (Pauses, shakes head slowly:) Uh, no. No I don’t. (Thought v.o.: As long as that was all you were doing.)

UPCHUCK: (Relieved look:) That’s a quite a comforting statement. (Quickly adds again:) Oh, and you don’t have to worry about keeping me from doing my civic duty, Mr. Appleton. I’ve already checked the halls, and they’re all quite empty, I can assure you--(forced chuckle:) save for us, of course.  I also don’t have to report to my class for the first 15 minutes, by the way, so I'm using my allotted time to see you.

DARREN: (Nods:) I see. Well, what do you want, Misterrr--what was your name again?

UPCHUCK:  (Proud expression:) Ruttheimer, my good man. Charles Ruttheimer the Third. You may call me—

DARREN: (Interrupts, snaps fingers, smirks:) --Oh, yeah! "Ruttheimer"! Daria and Jane called you “Upchuck”!

UPCHUCK: (Now looks briefly annoyed, but goes on:) Yes, that’s correct. (Pauses, grins again:) As for my reason of briefly keeping you >from your appointment with our illustrious principal, I merely wanted to quickly inquire as to the secret of your success-- (quickly adds, groveling tone as he slightly bows:) sir.

DARREN: (Raised eyebrow:) "Secret of my success"? You've lost me.

UPCHUCK: Why, your success with those luscious lovelies of the opposite gender, such as our hallowed school's cheerleaders, not to mention those three admirers of your sister Quinn's. I must admit to my guilt of carefully observing you the moment you appeared on the school grounds with your sisters, Miss Lane, and the delectable Miss Griffin and Miss Blum-Deckler. You appear to have quite the command of drawing attention, as well as respect, from both genders.

DARREN: (Gives him a brief, odd look, shrugs:) There's no secret to that. (Pauses:) I simply was being myself. (Pauses, adds:) Anyone can do it.

UPCHUCK: Ah, but I think you’re being too modest, Darr--uh, Mr. Appleton! (Wry expression, almost admiring tone:) The lovely Miss Taylor and her fellow lovely cheerleaders surmised that you were quite the catch, even with Miss Lane in their midst, yet you also garnered a rather generous lip lock from your gorgeous girlfriend, after the fact! You, sir, are quite the ladies' man! (Lowers voice, grins again, wiggles eyebrows up and down:) I'd wager that you could probably score quite a few catches on the side out of Miss Lane's viewing range...

DARREN: (Bristles:) Look, let me make something clear to you, “Upchuck”. (Upchuck winces for a moment at the mentioning of his "popular" nickname) I'm not interested in any girl other than Jane Lane--

UPCHUCK: (Immediately placates, holds hands up again:) --Oh, of course not, Mr. Appleton, perish the thought! I merely wanted to point out what was obviously in front of me earlier, that's all!

DARREN: (Frowns, leans forward in Upchuck's face, points finger in his chest:) Then allow me to point something out as to what's in front of you now: A guy that’s beginning to become seriously pissed off

UPCHUCK: (Swallows hard, sweats, frantically waves hands:) Eep! I'msorryI'msorryI'msorry! I didn't mean to insult you, Mr. Appleton, really!

DARREN: (Now glares, annoyed:) Look--I told you I was being myself, that's it! Nothing more! (Begins to walk past him:) Now, if you don't mind, I have to meet your principal. Excuse me--

UPCHUCK: (Holds arms out, pleads in a blubbering voice:) Please! I've been really eager to talk to you, you're my last hope! (Darren stops, sighs, turns to him) I've--tried to be myself when I speak to girls, but it doesn't work for some reason! They've-- (Slumps, lowers voice, miserable expression:) constantly turned me down flat every time I tried to talk to them. I mean, I turn on my charms by saying, (Usual leering look and tone:) "Rrrrrrowlf! Helllooo ladies!", each time, but they either turn and run away, or, um-- (embarrassed expression:) beat me up. (Shrugs:) I used to like it because they were so feisty, (Darren drops an eyebrow, gives him an odd look. Upchuck quickly adds:) but I guess I’ve gotten tired of it, and now I want something more…tangible from them.

DARREN: (Mental eye roll and thought v.o., sarcastic: “Tangible?” Do tell. I guess their beatings finally got it through your thick skull... :) Well, if you’re really serious about this, then maybe you shouldn't be yourself. (Upchuck cocks an eyebrow) Maybe you should try a different approach.

UPCHUCK: (Eager expression, perks up:) "Different approach", eh? What do you suggest? (Suddenly reaches into his shirt pocket, pulls out a pad and pencil)

DARREN: (Cocks a brief eyebrow at Upchuck’s action in surprise, then glances around, “conspiratorial” look, lowers voice:) Keep this to yourself, all right? (Upchuck gives a slight wink, nods) My “secret” is being nice and respectful to all the girls I meet. It works every time. In your case, if they start to become disgusted by the sight of you, immediately excuse yourself while apologizing for being in their space.

UPCHUCK: (While scribbling furiously:) “Be nice and respectful, and immediately excuse myself while apologizing”…

DARREN: Right. Whatever you do, don't appear to be leering. They hate that. You've got to appear sincere by looking at any girl directly in their faces and eyes, and at nothing below their necks, especially when they're with their boyfriends. (Pauses, considers, adds:) Better yet, maybe you should avoid any girl with a boyfriend completely, and to concentrate instead on the girls without any real boyfriends. No need to be beaten to a pulp by a jealous football player, right?

UPCHUCK: (Scribbles furiously, sighs:) This, I must admit, is quite true. It’s happened to me numerous times in addition to the girls, (Grins:) though I obviously enjoyed the girl's beatings far more. (Darren shows him a slight scowl. Upchuck gets the message, tepidly continues:) Er, what else?

DARREN: Talk to those unattached girls about anything else but the way they look, no matter how beautiful they may be, (adds:) unless they invite you to do so, such as asking you how they look in a casual conversation. Trust me, if a female becomes your friend, it more than likely will come up. It’s natural for a girl to wonder more about their appearance than a guy. (Thought v.o., mental chuckle: Though Daria might be the lone exception...:) Even then, be very modest and don’t go overboard when you respond. Perhaps you can say that they look nice, or something. Maybe then you can also add another subject to get the ball rolling, like offering to help with their schoolwork, or talk about something the two of you have in common, like a hobby or two. (Shrugs:) Above all, avoid anything to do with sex.

UPCHUCK: (Suddenly turns pale, stunned, stops writing:) A-Anything?

DARREN: (Nods:) You've got it. Concentrate totally on anything else but that. (Upchuck expresses a miserable look, but resumes scribbling) Show them you have a "feminine" side, that you can really appreciate them for more than their bodies, such as their minds. Be sensitive to their needs and wants. After all, you've got to show them the false you, right? (Slight scowl, in a sarcastic sneer Daria would be proud of:) I suspect the real you would probably want to grope and fondle them, or to maybe even take degrading, humiliating, pornographic-like pictures of them, right?

UPCHUCK: (Ponders this, cowers under his gaze, weakly nods:) Uh--I--guess the "real" me would do all of those things...? (Hesitates, then quickly continues to write in his pad)

DARREN: (Nods in return, still with the scowl, subtle sneer:) Well, then, we can't have that, can we? You'll just have to keep being your false self. (Adds, drops frown:) Oh, and lest I forget, there are two more things you should remember to do, and they’re very important, so listen carefully. First: Settle with one girl, I don't care how many you end up making “friends” with. It makes things a lot easier for you in terms of a relationship--

UPCHUCK: (Wide-eyed:) Only one?! But--

DARREN: (Interrupts, frowns again:) --Focus, Upchuck, focus! You want to be your false self, remember? With one girl, you can share your innermost thoughts and fears, and she hers to you, and you can do all of the usual things to make her feel special. (Adds:) Why did you think I told you I have only Jane as a girlfriend?

UPCHUCK: (Pauses, ponders, continues to scribble:) O-Of course… (Pauses, looks up:) What was the other thing I should do?

Darren gave him a long, grim, very serious pause and expression, which now had the effect of causing Upchuck to appear unnerved.

DARREN: (Dead-serious tone that matches his expression:)  If you’re really serious about finding a girlfriend, the second thing is to speak to my sisters, Jane, or Quinn’s friends about a guy named “Rory McKinna”. Be sure to ask them for the entire story about him and a girl named Dora, and to leave nothing out. They’ll ask how you knew about this, of course. You can tell them about your motivation with wanting to get along better with girls first, and especially that I wanted you to ask them. I have a feeling they’ll be more than glad to fill you in. Good luck.

Before Upchuck could say another word, Darren quickly walked off in a way that clearly implied that he was going to take no more questions. He spotted the plaque that read “Ms. Angela Li” on a door, and walked in.

Upchuck stared after him for a long moment, glanced down at his pad, shrugged, and made his way to class.

 

                                                                                                  **********

 

(Scene Twenty-Seven: Ms. Li’s office, a few minutes earlier)

 

Smiling, Ms. Li looked around her office as she placed a tray of Chinese herbal tea on her desk. From her perspective, everything looked perfect, as it should have been (and usually was), ready for Darren Appleton’s entrance.

Ms. Li sighed with relief, satisfied, and quietly sat at her desk. She still felt a pang of anxiousness, and decided to pour a spot of tea to help her to relax. After all, it wasn’t every day that a billionaire would visit her office to deliver badly-needed funds for Lawndale High.

Ms. Li smirked as she spun in her office chair and reached over to her left to rub the stomach of her Buddha for good luck, hoping for a large donation. She then drank a sip of tea as she returned to an upright position.

Of course, I’ll be using the money Darren Appleton will be donating--in order to secure the future of the school, that is, my future. With this added to the funding we’re getting from Ultra Cola, I’ll have the edge over the idiots that call themselves “high school principals”! Superintendent Cartwright will have to give me that promotion for the open slot of becoming the vice-superintendent after he sees what I've done to make Lawndale High into even more of an impregnable fortress! No student would dare even think about rebelling—not that they do now, either…

Ms. Li quickly shook her head.

Get a grip, Angela. You can’t rush this, you know. You’re still on “probation” from Cartwright over that Ultra Cola near-fiasco. You were lucky he didn’t delve too deeply into that. All Cartwright did was to give me a week to rest at home after I got out of the hospital, and a warning not to go to such “extremes” again in securing funds for the school. Ha! "Extremes"? If only he knew what "extremes" really were, in comparison to that!

Ms. Li snorted, and stared in space.

Hmph! I knew what I was doing! So I got carried away a little in pushing the students to drink sodas for Ultra-Cola, what's wrong with that? After all, with a few exceptions, most of the students here are addled-brain twits who were already addicted to the stuff, anyway! Why, for $50,000, I would've danced naked with any one of a number of teachers or students here in the hallways! Money is money, there's no getting around that! Doesn't Cartwright know that it doesn't grow on trees?! With that passive of an attitude about money, how in the hell did he become our superintendent?

 Ms. Li rolled her eyes.

He probably scratched a back or two with our state's education secretary, Isa Yojo, to get his job, no doubt--in more ways than one. Cartwright worked under her once. I've also heard a rumor or two about him and her through the grapevine. Hmmm. He is a widower, and she a widow...

Ms. Li quickly redirected her thinking toward Darren Appleton. She glanced at her wristwatch for a brief instant, then sat up and leaned forward on her desk, twiddling her thumbs, now suddenly looking worried.

Where is he, I wonder? Surely he didn't suddenly change his mind about coming, did he? If he did because of something Miss Morgendorffer and/or Miss Lane suddenly said concerning my school's smoooooth operational procedures, they'll regret the day they eeeeever came to this school! I overlooked their coming in late yesterday, and of getting those occasional "byes" from Ms. Morris's gym class as well, and I directed the teachers to treat those two differently in their classes, not to mention my--humiliating and shameless begging of Miss Morgendorffer at the airport the first time her and her family went to see her brother, and in front of that Sloane boy, to boot! I'm sure he didn't waste any time in telling his influential parents what I did, and they their equally-influential friends! I’ll quite likely never live that moment down!

Ms. Li sighed as she stared off into space.

I even spent money--the school's of course--to buy all of those flowers and that exquisite banner. To top it all off, I agreed with Miss Morgendorffer and Miss Lane to have all of the voluntary activities of Laaaaaaawndale High to actually become voluntary! As if they already weren't voluntary! What would possibly possess those two to think that they weren't? No student has to volunteer, they never do--they merely could've accepted their punishment instead for not volunteering. It's a free choice! I am generous and kind after all! If anything, it’s these new rules that aren’t fair!

Ms. Li suddenly sighed again and continued staring in space.

I just wished Miss Landon would've gone along with my request to volunteer to give Darren a surprise welcome speech, though. If we operated under the old, fair rules, she would've. Hm. To think of it, that's the first time Miss Landon had ever turned down my request for her to do something for the glory of the school.

Ms. Li showed a brief frown, deep in thought.

Perhaps she thought she had done enough? I know she did everything else I asked her to assist in Darren coming here, particularly in quietly persuading her peers to treat Miss Morgendorffer and Miss Lane with great care under my warnings of retaliation, of course. But still, I didn’t think Miss Landon of all students would refuse...

Now anxious again, Ms. Li suddenly gulped down more of her tea. She was about to rise out of her seat to find Darren, when she paused and looked down at her desk. Ms. Li smirked.

Idiot! Have you forgotten already? Why should you trouble yourself to look for Darren Appleton, when you can simply see where he is on the school's property from here? You don’t want to appear too eager to get that donation, do you?

Ms. Li sat back down, and carefully removed the tray of tea from her desk. She placed it off to a small table to the right side behind her, and then moved her right index finger just under her desk. The next instant, the desk's front half of its surface flipped over (not the rear part in front of Li), revealing a small monitor in each corner of a now-inclined surface, with one in the middle, for a total of five. Each had two buttons below their screen, labeled “location” and “focus”, and showed different areas around Lawndale High, mostly hallways, but also a classroom or two.

Ms. Li clicked a “location” button under the monitor of her choice, revealing even more locations, such as additional classrooms (okay, all of them total were under secret surveillance), the cafeteria, gym, and even the boy's and girl's locker rooms. These were empty at the moment because the students during that period were out in the gym. Only the restrooms seemed to be spared the eye of Li, if only for the moment: She hadn’t worked out the personal and financial details of acquiring the tiny hidden X-ray cameras for each stall as of yet.

I knew it was a good idea to secretly place cameras in more than the usual allotted locations allowed under the so-called law! I got one over those damn liberal school watchdog groups! Hah! The school's money from the car washes via those fund raisers I gave to "John Doe's Video Service" for additional locations, this hidden panel, and their subsequent silence, was well worth the effort! Nothing can go on in this school without my noticing! Nothing! Now, to find Darren, if he's still here...

A few more moments of clicking occurred randomly at each monitor, and then she thought she had found her target on the upper left monitor as she viewed two blurry figures speaking to each other, incidentally in the front hallway outside of her office. After pushing the button labeled "focus", she was now sure.

Darren was talking to Charles Ruttheimer.

Ms. Li frowned.

What in the hell is Mr. Ruttheimer speaking to Darren Appleton for? He's supposed to be in his class! I know he's finished his hall monitoring duties! Well now, I'll just have to have a little talk with him later about disrupting school business, and of abusing his duties for personal gain! Right now, however, I'll have to subtly break up their little chat--

Darren suddenly turned away from Charles on the screen, looking a bit agitated to Ms. Li for some reason as he approached her office.

Putting aside wondering what Mr. Ruttheimer had said to Darren to get him in a foul mood (and of punishing Mr. Ruttheimer for it), Ms. Li immediately reactivated the button under her desk, and the front half of the desk's surface flipped over again. She carefully placed the tray of tea back on her desk as her secretary’s voice spoke over the speaker on the rear part of the desk.

SECRETARY: Ms. Li--? Darren Appleton's arrived.

MS. LI: (Brightens, smiles:) Excellent! Send him in! (Suddenly frowns, subtly ominous voice:) And make sure we're not disturbed, do yooou understand?

SECRETARY: (Pauses, adds after a moment:) Y-Yes, Ms. Li.

 

Smiling, Darren walked in, holding his computer notebook. Ms. Li returned the smile as she rose out of her seat, and once again shook his hand.

 

DARREN: I hope not to take up too much of your time, Angela.

MS. LI: (Chuckles, snorts:) Oh, think nothing of it, Darren! We can get right to the business at hand, if you wish! (Gestures to the tea try:) Would you care for some Chinese herbal tea? It’s called Peach Blossom. Have you heard of it? (Darren shakes his head slightly) It’s a high-grade white tea flavored with peach. It has quite a delicious, creamy peach taste and has all the health benefits of white teas…

DARREN: (Sits in one of the two chairs in front of Li's desk. Li does the same in her own. Darren holds up his hand:) Perhaps later, thank you. You're direct and to the point. I can appreciate that. Let's get started... (Types in his notebook)

MS. LI: (Thought v.o., slight smirk as she finishes sipping her tea, pours some more: At last! Now perhaps I can put a large down payment on that secret satellite surveillance system for the school I've been eyeing for quite some time...)

DARREN: (Pauses as he stares at his notebook's screen, then cuts eyes to Ms. Li, in a cool, businesslike tone:) Before we talk about the amount I want to give to the school, Angela, I'd like to ask you a few questions concerning the way you've managed the school's budget--

MS. LI: (Cocked eyebrow, surprised expression:) Questions about the way I've managed the school's budget? I'm--(pauses:) afraid I don't understand, Darren.

DARREN: (Cuts eyes back to his notebook, types some more, keeps the same tone:) Then I'll clarify it for you. My first question is, can you explain about why money that was supposed to be for buying new books covering all of your educational departments for this year was diverted to purchasing new hidden cameras instead?

MS. LI: (Now red-faced, stunned:) How--how did you know th--

DARREN: (Interrupts, continues in his tone, glances at her, then back at his notebook:) --And that not one penny of this allocated money has been spent in any manner whatsoever for any book, computer, or on anything even remotely educational? Virtually all of the money went to the cameras, most of which that I might add are in illegally hidden places in this school according to the law?

MS. LI: (Stands up, furious:) I demand to know where you got this alleged information from, Mr. Appleton!

DARREN: (Now "surprised" himself, completely calm voice:) Oh, so now it's "Mr. Appleton"? That's a shame. I was hoping we could get to know each other on a first-name basis, since that's how I do business--(adds pointedly:) Ms. Li. (Nonchalant shrug and sigh:) Oh well. As to how I got this information, it was dug up for me by people I hired to investigate the financial dealings of your school, (slight frown:) and before you ask if my girlfriend or sisters had said anything about this to me, I usually do financial background checks before I give anything to an organization anyway, so any info they did give to me was based on rumors and innuendo that they were told of by other students, both past and present.

MS. LI: (Pauses, narrows eyes:) I see. (Suddenly snarls:) My guess is these "people", your "people", probably hacked my computer here at school from wherever they were, didn't they?! They and you had no right to--

DARREN: (Types in his notebook, interrupts in his calm tone:) --Really, Ms. Li. There's no need for theatrics, so you can just drop the “outraged" act. You know what’s going on. (Ms. Li glares at him for a moment more, then slowly sits back down) To be honest, I really wasn't expecting they'd find anything too serious, and it was supposed to be a quick check, (glances at her, then back at his notebook, cocked eyebrow:) but after finding all of this--

MS. LI: (Now turns pale:) What--else did you find?

DARREN: (Reads off his screen:) As if you didn't know. You've been quite busy for several years, ever since you first became the principal here, apparently. Illegally diverting money for bulletproof skylights, illegally diverting money for drug-sniffing dogs, illegally diverting money for a lie-detection machine, illegally diverting money to your school's football team—(pauses:) all taken in bits and pieces from your educational funding. Plus, your school's dead last in your district in giving raises to your teachers--no doubt because you've diverted that as well to your "activities". (Incredulous tone:) Then there are these well thought-out plans for a secret satellite surveillance system and laser-detecting beams for late students, (snorts:) among hundreds of other ideas--

MS. LI: (Jumps up again, interrupts, subtly desperate tone:) --All of those measures were for the good of the students and of the teachers, I assure you! I can explain--

DARREN: (Skeptical expression, returns his attention to her, interrupts:) --Oh, really? And I suppose that fancy-looking banner out in the front hallway that you had made especially for my visit with all those flowers was for their "good", too?

MS. LI: (Frowns, confused, though inside she’s feeling anxious, slowly sits back down:) What--do they have to do with anything, Mr. Appleton?

DARREN: (Returns frown:) Plenty, from where I'm sitting. (Pauses for effect:) Why'd you go to the trouble of having a genuine Chinese silk banner made for me, Ms. Li? (Sneers, in a sarcastic tone:) Surely that set you, or rather the school, back a few dollars--?

MS. LI: (Stunned:) W--What?! (Frowns, hesitates:) That's--ridiculous! That banner's only--an imitation silk! Where did you possibly get the idea--

DARREN:  (Shakes head slowly, coolly interrupts:) --Ms. Li, let me tell you a brief story. When I was a little boy, during the summer months, my adopted parents took me with them to where they work often when I was out of school, so I could learn what they did in their businesses. As I'm sure you're aware of, my adopted mother was the famous Lucille Appleton of Circa Fashions.

MS. LI: (Pauses:) Yes, of course...

DARREN: (Pauses:) Do you know how some kids might hate to do something their parents might make them do, yet they become really good at it anyway, say, like playing the piano or violin after getting lessons? (Brief shudder:) In my case, it was my mother getting me to tell the difference in clothing materials, thinking that some day I could take over her company, along with everything else at Appleton Industries.

Darren paused for a moment, staring at Ms. Li stoically to allow what he was saying to sink in. Ms. Li returned the stare in silence, though underneath she started to feel a strong sense of dread of where this was leading to. Darren continued.

DARREN: She did it every time it was her turn to take me to work with her. My mother brought me into her private clothing room beside her office, and sat me down in front of an empty table. She blindfolded me, and then she laid out several clothing materials on the table for me to feel, then asked me to tell her what each one was. She told me it was a "fun game" that we were playing, sort of like pinning the tail on the donkey. When I guessed some materials wrong, she'd tell me, of course, and why I was wrong in great detail.

MS.LI: (Uncomfortable expression:) Oh, er, really--?

DARREN: (Nods:) That's right. I became quite good at it, though like my comparison on the piano and violin lessons, I privately hated it, but I did it to please my mother. I eventually knew the texture and feel of every fabric she brought me, both real and imitation, and I never forgot this “ability”, (Adds:) which became even more important to me because it’s now a precious memory of my time with her when she was alive. (Slightly smiles:) I haven't told my sister Quinn and her friends about my "ability" because I have a feeling that I wouldn't get a moment's rest from them if I did. (Pauses, turns serious, slightly frowns:) My point is that I never really lost my touch about knowing fashions, Ms. Li, so please don't insult my intelligence about that banner. (Pauses:) How much of the school’s money did you spend for it, and for that matter, how much for the flowers?

MS. LI: (Pauses, then sighs in defeat:) About $2,500 for the banner. (Adds reluctantly:) The flowers cost $500. (Quickly adds out of desperation:) But the banner waaaas a used one, I swear! I bought it at a bargain basement price from a clothing company that was going out of business! I simply had them to add the letters!

DARREN: (Drops mouth in shock:) You spent $3,000 total?! What the-- (Quickly shakes head, shuts eyes briefly:) no, never mind, I won’t go there for now. (Sighs, rubs forehead:) Ms. Li, if you think I’m going to give your school, or more specifically you, $500,000 to do with as you please after all of this, you’re completely out of your mind.

MS. LI: (Wide-eyed:) $5-5-500,000!? (Slumps in seat, stunned:) I--I figured you'd give a large sum, but not quite that large... (Pauses, suddenly sits up:) Wait! (Narrows eyes:) Since you've allegedly uncovered my "financial activities", why haven't you gone to the police as of yet?

DARREN: (Pauses, gathers his thoughts:) After a brief period of consideration, I decided to give you another chance. You see, your school wasn't the only one I was going to donate money to in Carter--Lawndale County, sorry. I almost forgot about the recent change of name your county voted on. Anyway, I didn't want it to look as if I were only favoring your school and grade level. (Li shows a tiny look of disappointment) I also found out that you weren't the only administrator who went to certain--(pauses, looks for the right word:) "extremes" to find funds for their school. (Adds:) Even your Superintendent Cartwright was in on it.

MS. LI: (Shocked expression:) What?! Cartwright?! (Thought v.o.: Hmph! So much for my thinking he was "passive" about money!)

DARREN: (Slight nod:) Yes. He was taking a kickback or two from certain schools for looking the other way when they did something under the table financially. (Curious expression to Li’s still-shocked look:) You seem genuinely surprised, but then again, he didn’t get anything from you, so maybe that’s not all that surprising, since you probably covered your tracks well >from him…

Ms. Li looked embarrassed for a moment. Darren glanced in his computer notebook and continued.

DARREN: Virtually all of the other principals in your district, at all levels, have been quite the busy bees (Ms. Li looks shocked again), though all of them combined haven't matched what you've illegally spent. (Returns stare to Ms. Li:) Still, I have enough information to probably have them all removed from their jobs, and spend some considerable time in jail--(Adds, narrows eyes:) as I do you...

Ms. Li swallowed hard at this, and turned pale yet again. Darren took note of her expression, satisfied that he had made his point. He continued.

DARREN: But I realized that if I exposed all of what you and your colleagues did, there more than likely would be some major chaos. The students would suffer, and your county's educational system would probably break down, even spilling down to some good teachers who had nothing to do with the misspending. Yet, they would have to be laid off because of further budget cuts >from (finger quotes with each:) "suddenly-concerned" politicians who’d want to "get tough" with the “corrupt-and-now-overwhelmed” local school system. From what I hear, we need all of the good teachers we can get these days.

MS. LI: (Quickly nods in agreement:) Oh, most certainly weeee do, Mr. Appleton! (Wags her index finger at him, narrows eyes:) Ouuuur teachers are verrry important! They're the backbone of our educational system!

DARREN: (Continues:) Anyway, I figured if I gave the police evidence on you, I'd have to do the same to them, so I won't-- (Ms. Li looks relieved) provided that I get cooperation from them--like you. In fact, before I arrived, I contacted some of the other principals in private after I presented them with my evidence, and they've agreed to do just that--(adds:) not that they had much choice in the matter. After I speak to you, I'll let them and the rest know what they'll have to do.

MS. LI: (Narrows an eye:) What sort of--"cooperation" do you wish from me, if I may ask?

DARREN: That should be pretty obvious to you. (Pauses:) You and they will have to agree from now on to have a private accountant to tell you all how to spend your money and to audit it properly--(adds:) every penny of it. Consider this to be a small price to pay for my generous donation to your school district, which will total $3,000,000.

MS. LI: (Gasps, red-faced, more from shock from Darren’s “proposal” than >from the combined donated amount:) You can't be serious, Mr. Appleton! An outside accountant?! (Frowns:) Thiiiiis is preposterous! (Uncomfortable expression:) Why, he'd be looking over my shoulder every time I--

DARREN: (Interrupts, cocked eyebrow:) --I don't think you understand the gravity of this situation, Ms. Li. I'm not giving you much of a choice, like your peers. Either you'll agree to do this, or I will go to the police with the information I have on you.

MS. LI: (Long pause of outrage, glares:) You're bluffing, Mr. Appleton! You'd get yourself in trouble, with what you did to get this alleged evidence on me and the rest of the schools, as well!

DARREN: (Cool expression and tone:) Try me. I have overwhelming evidence, plus I'm more than willing to risk the legal consequences for myself to stop what you and the rest of the school administrators have done here. You’ll have much more to lose than I will, (adds, frowns:) and who do you think the other schools will blame for being exposed, since you’d be the only one who refused my offer? I know I’d tell who when asked by them or the authorities. You’d become a pariah with your peers. Do you really want to go that route? I’m giving you a chance to clean up your act, Ms. Li. You’d have to be a fool to not take this offer, and you are getting some money for your school to boot--(coy expression:) unless you don’t really care about the school, and only about yourself...

MS. LI: (That hits home to her. After a moment, through gritted teeth, sighs:) Fine.

DARREN: (Slight smile:) Excellent. (Adds, types in his notebook:) Besides, it won't be an outside auditor who'll be watching over yours and the other’s shoulders. I've hired Tom Griffin for the job.

MS. LI: (Surprised expression:) Tom Griffin--? Sandi Griffin's father?

DARREN: (Stops, glances back up at her:) One in the same. He’ll be a relatively familiar face, and he’s pretty fair, though you can assume that any and all of your “creative accounting” days are over. He’ll be reporting to me on how you and everyone else will be spending my donation-- (adds:) as well as the money the state will allocate to you and the rest of the district for the foreseeable future. I’ve made a deal with his firm and him to hire him out for my own use, on occasion, and they’d ask no questions. In return, his firm would exclusively get my business when I deal here on local financial matters, and working with my birth mother's law firm on any legal issues involving finances.

Ms. Li appeared to have wanted to say something more to this, but thought the better of it. He had her over a barrel, and she knew it. She looked off with what appeared to be a defeated expression. Her shoulders were now as suddenly slumped as she was in her chair, staring in space. Darren took note of this, hesitated for an instant, then continued in a softer tone, attempting to give her a break.

DARREN: Look, speaking of Sandi, her father told me how much he appreciated your issuing a warning to anyone here at your school who might've given her a rough time concerning her finding out about her mother and aunt. (Pauses, adds:) I wanted you to know that I appreciated it as well. (Ms. Li gives Darren a brief, strange expression that borders on suspicion and surprise) In fact, your gesture also played a factor in my not turning you in, and in Tom Griffin agreeing to help you, among another factor or two... (Ms. Li now appears stunned)

MS. LI: Really? (Quickly recovers, nods:) Er, I--yes, well, it seemed to be the right thing to do, Mr. Appleton. I can only imagine how humiliated Miss Griffin must have felt when her mo--aunt told her indirectly how she was conceived, all on national TV.

DARREN: (Pauses for a moment:) Uh, actually, this'll sound a little confusing, but Sandi still thinks of her "aunt" as her mother, and her "mother" as her aunt. Other than her becoming closer to her birth mo--er, aunt as a result, nothing's really changed, from what I heard. In fact, Sandi also has become closer to her mother, (quickly adds:) Mrs. Griffin, that is.

MS. LI: (Pauses:) Ah, I see. That's very good. Children should be cloooser to their parents, I always say. (Hesitates, leans forward, continues:) Er, you said you had "another factor or two" as to your reasons for not turning over to the authorities what you had on me...?

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: First, it was “allegedly”. Now, you’re admitting it’s true.:) Yes. (Pauses:) I also saw from the information given to me how--thorough you were in keeping discipline here at your school to an almost absolute minimum, in comparison to the other area schools. (Ms. Li cocks a surprised eyebrow) Even though I disagree with most of how you did it, I have to admit that you've kept a pretty good lid on trouble. These days, well, sadly, with what happened at Jonesboro, Columbine and other schools in recent years--

MS. LI: (Now beams, snorts, proud expression:) I don't want to brag, but I doooo have my ways of enforcing order, and of keeping a lid on any potential delinquent students--(slightly frowns at Darren:) although with these new--"financial restrictions" you've put upon me will, I fear, hamper my efforts somewhat...

DARREN: (Sighs:) Ms. Li, I have no problem with your disciplining students who cause trouble. That’s part of your job. It's the way you've gone about doing it. I've no problem also with a security guard or two and/or metal detectors, and cameras in the proper locations are perfectly acceptable to me, the same for no toleration of fighting. I respect authority, really. My problem with you is that you've misspent taxpayer-allocated money for years, and with many local and state governments tightening their financial belts more than ever before, you can't afford to waste it like you have--

MS. LI: (Indignant look, interrupts:) --Waste it? I beg to differ! If I haven't done what I did, LLLLLLawndale High could've become another Columbine or Jonesboro, like you yourself said! (Darren shakes his head slowly, thinking she doesn't get it. Ms. Li slightly relents:) All right, perhaps I did go a tad overboard in an area or two, I admit, but I figured that no one would miss a dollar or two here or there!

DARREN: I thought something akin to that for a brief instant when my company lost $50 million, too. You've heard of what happened--?

MS. LI: (After a moment, narrows eyes in deep thought:) Yes--yes, I remember, from the news reports. Your late uncle and his missing minions had stolen that amount from your company's coffer?

DARREN: (Slight nod:) That's right, though it's obviously my late uncle's missing "minions" who're apparently spending it now. I was so eager to forget my uncle William and what he had done I was willing to let it go. However, people such as Constance Waters, our company's CEO, weren't as forgiving. She set right out to recover the stolen money. However, in the meantime, I found out she had to later make up the loss by laying off some of our middle and lower-level employees--(slight frown:) employees who had nothing to do with what my uncle did, and most who have families that depend upon them. The number was roughly 1,000, a tiny percentage of our workforce, but significant nevertheless. I didn’t consider at the time what the consequences of my uncle’s actions would do to others.

MS. LI: (Takes this in, realizes, adds reluctantly:) Oh. They're--still laid off?

DARREN: About 900 are. She believes that if we can recover at least half of the money that was stolen, we'll be able to hire the rest back. (Pauses, adds:) Many of the remaining families are still on unemployment benefits. (Thought v.o.: At least the additional "mysterious benefits" I've sent those former employees who haven't found jobs yet will tie them over for a short while...)

MS. LI: I see. (Pauses, narrows eyes:) I suppose your point is that whatever "illegal" monies I've spent over the years has affected someone in a negative sense somewhere, such as what you’ve previously pointed out, our teachers, as well as our students, in the event of exposure?

DARREN: Yes, but also even beforehand with you and your school district’s “creative accounting” practices. Who knows how many people have been affected already? (Pauses as Li looks off in thought:) So, are you going to continue to hold what I've done against me, or are you going to work willingly with Tom Griffin, and to an extension, me?

After a moment, Ms. Li wordlessly rose out of her seat, and walked over to her office window, looking out. Darren cocked a curious eyebrow at her. After a few more moments, she turned to him and spoke in a low, ever-so-slightly nervous tone.

MS. LI: (Narrows eyes:) Dooooes anyone outside of you, Tom Griffin, and your "people" know of my activities, much less my colleague’s?

DARREN: No. The people working for me can be trusted, the same for Tom Griffin, and as I've said, his firm's not asking any questions. If you'll recall, I didn't want this to get out myself either. In fact, I haven't mentioned how much I've really found to Jane, my sisters, or anyone else in my family-- (Smirks, casually adds:)  particularly my birth mother, Helen, in case you’re wondering. (Ms. Li releases a relieved breath) My girlfriend and my sisters only know about the "surface" material they had heard about, and I’ve only confirmed that to them. Better if fewer people know about this. I'll grant you some facial pride, Ms. Li.

MS. LI: (Gives him a strained expression, pauses, sighs:) Very well. I appear to have no other choice but to take your word, Mr. (hesitates:) --Darren.

DARREN: (After a moment, slightly smiles:) Then we're in agreement--Angela. (Gets up, extends his hand to her. Ms. Li hesitates, then grips his hand and shakes it) I believe I'll now take a cup of that tea as we go over transferring the donation... (Ms. Li shows him a reluctant smile as she pours the tea, while Darren sits)

After a moment, Darren looked down at her desk, cocking an eyebrow. He suddenly rubbed his fingers along the top surface, smirking. Ms. Li stared at him for a moment with a slight frown, confused.

DARREN: So--when did you get the fancy hidden control panel here for your cameras? It flips over when you push a button, right? How much did it cost...? (Ms. Li, now realizing that he probably knows about that as well, sighs as she sits to tell him)

 

                                                                                                 **********

 

(Scene Twenty-Eight, in what appears to be in a mostly-empty, high scale restaurant, the very same moment, in fact. Outside, through a large, rather ornate-looking round window, we see that it is nighttime. Several tall buildings in the distance show a scattering of lit office lights, part of what appears to be a vaguely familiar skyline. Hence, we can assume that it's somewhere on the other side of the world)

 

Wearing a stylishly large, white fedora dress hat with a long peacock feather to mostly cover her face, Millie Appleton sighed as she sat alone at a table, looking off into space.

She was also dressed in an equally-stylish black, long-sleeved cotton blouse and white cotton skirt, to reflect the early spring season here. A glass of milk, obviously a byproduct from taking care of herself with her newfound pregnancy, sat half-full in front of her.

A slightly heavy set but dapper-looking bespectacled man with short hair, peppered in a silver and black color and a matching goatee, suddenly appeared >from behind her. Unnerved for a moment, Millie glanced over her left shoulder at him and smiled in relief. The man returned the smile and gingerly patted her on her left shoulder in reassurance. He then sat at the table across from her. The man hesitated, then leaned over the table and gently took her hands in his. Millie appeared surprised for a brief moment, but relaxed and gently gripped his hands in return.

MAN: (In an Australian accent:) It's done, Millie. The Alice Springs house in the Northern Territory is now available. Rest assured you'll have absolute privacy. It's pretty desolate out there. No one will know where you are.

MILLIE: (Smiles:) Thank you for doing all of this, Fred. I really appreciate it. (Hesitates:) Look, I have to be honest with you, and please don’t interrupt me until I’m finished, all right? (Fred gives a nod. She takes in a deep breath:) I didn’t plan to say anything to you about the circumstances concerning my pregnancy, but Arthur raved on occasion about you when he visited here with Lucille for vacation and to check on our Australian division, and I figured I could trust you not to say anything. I also figured you’d be able to tell once you saw me, anyway, and would wonder what was going on. (Another moment passes. Millie smirks, nods:) You may speak, now…

FRED: (Chuckles:) Don’t worry about it, Millie. I’m flattered that you’d trust me with what you said, and I promise to keep everything hush-hush. Besides, it’s the least that I could do for Arthur. He helped me to get a bottom-level advertising job for Appleton’s Canberra branch so many years ago when I ran into him all the while I was looking for a job. I was down on my luck, and I never forgot what he did. Now I’m senior vice-president of the company’s advertising division in Australia, (Grins:) and I’m bidin’ my time until my early retirement in two years. I’m glad I kept in touch with him until-- (Millie looks off for a moment, saddened. Fred shows a pained look:) oh, I’m sorry…

MILLIE: (Quickly shakes head, pats his hand:) No, no, it’s all right, Fred. (Adds, smiles:) Really. You and Arthur were apparently good acquaintances, and you’ve every right to want to talk about what he did for you. Arthur was always generous to a fault to those who were loyal and hard-working. It’s one of the good things my nephew Darren inherited from him and Lucille, (Sighs:) thank God…

FRED: (Reluctantly continues, smiles:) I met your nephew once when he was a tyke during a visit to the States, at a dinner party in your family’s mansion, as a matter of fact. (Millie frowns slightly, trying to place his face. Fred notices:) I obviously didn't meet you, or one of us would've remembered. (Shrugs:) He probably wouldn’t remember me. Based from what I used to hear from Arthur over the phone, Darren’s grown into a fine young man, (frowns:) no matter what vicious rumors I’ve read and have seen on TV and the Internet from the bloody paparazzi on him…

MILLIE: (Smiles sadly again:) He has, Fred. I hope you can meet him again some day.

FRED: (Nods:) Soon, I hope. I also would wish to meet his girlfriend Jane. (Wiggles his eyebrows up and down:) She’s quite the looker, especially in that red dress she had on I saw in the papers when she went out with your nephew that night! (Millie chuckles. Fred grows more serious:) I've also gotten the plane ticket for you to leave Sydney tomorrow afternoon. (Pauses, worried look:) Are you sure that you’ll be fine? I can take a few more days off, and make sure you’re settled. After all, well--you know, you're...

MILLIE: (Small smile, pats Fred's hand again, gently interrupts:) --Thanks, but no thanks, Fred. I'll be fine. I just need to be alone, and don't worry--I have the numbers for the local hospital, remember, the same for that obstetrician you referred to me who resides there--? Besides, you have to get back to work in Canberra. You've taken enough days off to have secretly arranged this already. Any more requested time off, and somebody might start asking questions.

FRED: (Sighs:) I suppose you're right, but I'm still worried. (Grins:) A Shelia such as yourself shouldn't be all alone out there, you know...

MILLIE: (Cocks an eyebrow, smirks:) "Shelia?" (Realizes, chuckles:) Oh, that's Aussie slang for a good-looking female, isn't it? You flatterer!

FRED: (Chuckles, but suddenly becomes serious again:) I want you to call me when I get off work, all right? Try to call at least once a week. You have my number, right?

MILLIE: (Sad smile:) Right, and the hours you work. (Adds:) Actually, I was planning to anyway, probably two to three times a week, in fact, if you don’t mind. I need you to keep an eye out for any-- (looks for right word:) "trackers", and to keep me informed in case they somehow or another find out I’m in Australia.

FRED: (Nods:) You mean "trackers" as in your ex-husband Jim, (Frowns:) and that bastard, Edward White, of course.

MILLIE: (Pauses, adds, looks off for a moment:) Yes-- (Deeper frown:) especially Edward White. I can't believe that he’s still free after what happened in Chicago, from what my source told me. I don't know why Edward would be looking for me, of all people. He should know that I'm the last person he’d want to see! I'm sure he doesn't know that I'm pregnant with his child--(suddenly concerned expression:) doesn't he?

FRED: (Shakes head slowly:) I can't see how he could know. According to what you said, no one else knows outside of me, save for your “source”. (Shrugs:) Perhaps this chap believes he owes you an apology of a sort for his deliberate subterfuge of you at your home--?

MILLIE: (Rolls eyes:) Oh, please. (Lowers voice:) Like I would care what that ass would have to say to me! The only thing he did right was to accidentally impregnate me, and from the way I see it, he's settled his "debt" to me! I'm going to have this baby, and it'll be mine! (Tenses up, through clenched teeth, death glare:) Why, if I ever saw Edward's face again, I'd kick his ass so hard--

FRED: (Concerned expression, pats her hand:) --Whoa, calm down! You're carryin' a special package now, remember? You don't want to become too upset, if you know what I mean.

MILLIE: (Immediately calms down:) Yes, of course, you're right, Fred. Edward White of all people isn't worth me possibly losing my baby to pointless anger. I'm sorry. (Sighs:) Thank God my source found out that Jim had discovered I was in Tahiti, and warned me in time. (Small smile:) My source is very good at what he does, you know.

Fred returned the smile. Millie immediately grew serious again, showing a bare frown.

MILLIE: I'm sure I barely escaped Jim and his private detective, more than likely by a few days. (Pauses, small smile:) At least my nephew's respecting my privacy. I'll have to remember to call him while he's visiting his birth family, according to what my source also told me. (Frowns again:) Why couldn't have Jim simply done the same thing, and gotten on with his life? I--can't see him now, not while I'm in this condition! I could only imagine if he saw me, he'd put two and two together--

FRED: (Hesitates:) --I may be speaking out of line, but I'm sure despite everything he'd understand the circumstances, somehow. (Millie gives him a strange expression. Fred reluctantly continues:) Your--other late brother William told me in a casual conversation on the side about you two getting a divorce during my same visit to the States--

MILLIE: (Frowns, which causes Fred to look uncomfortable:) Oh, did he, now?

FRED: (Pauses:) Yes. (Hesitates:) He--was smirking when he said it. It was during the same dinner party, not that long after I met your nephew, in fact. Obviously, he seemed to take great glee in it, which is why I distinctly recall the talk. One has a tendency to remember something strange like that. (Millie snorts. Fred winces:) I’m sorry if I upset you. I should’ve left this bloody well alone--

MILLIE: No, you didn’t upset me, Fred. I was well aware that William hated Jim, and vice-versa, and that William practically all but celebrated my divorce from him. (Pauses, realizes, gasps:) Now that I recall, I wanted to leave town to gather my thoughts right after the divorce. I remember, now. Your visit took place not that long after because I had moved back into the mansion when I returned, and Lucille told me about your visit. That's why we never met each other back then. (Pauses, cocks an eyebrow, realizes:) What makes you think Jim would understand my predicament?

FRED: (Hesitates:) Because Arthur’s wife had overheard what William had told me, and came over after he left me to say that Jim told her that he still loved you, that he’d always love you no matter what. She also told me that he hoped you’d change your mind, someday, and that you two would reconcile-- (adds reluctantly:) and that I should keep that information to myself. I think your sister-in-law didn’t want me to believe your marriage was as horrible as your brother said it was.

MILLIE: (Shocked expression:) I--didn’t know that. I figured that Jim and I were too far apart to ever… (Her voice fades off. She looks away for an instant)

FRED: (After a moment:) Lucille also said that he’d promised himself that he’d never pressure you to get back with him, that he respected your choice, if only out of his love for you. (Shrugs:) I only considered that and what you had told me of your current situation, and figured he’d understand--

MILLIE: (Frowns, interrupts:) --I can't take the chance of seeing Jim, Fred! (Catches herself, looks around, softer tone and sob:) I--just can't, not now, at least not until the baby is born. Maybe then he’d--he’d...(Fred hesitates, then rises out of his seat, goes over to Millie, who rises up and hugs him, crying softly in his shoulder)

Millie suddenly pulled away for an instant, and looked Fred dead in the eye, speaking in a very low whisper.

MILLIE: And whatever you do, don't you dare ask if I still love my ex-husband, do you understand, Fred? I mean it, dammit! (Suddenly cries in his shoulder again)

FRED: (Sad thought v.o. as he hugs her again: I bloody well don't think I'll have to, luv. If it wasn't for your deep feelings for that apparently good bloke, I'd be after you myself, carryin' another man's baby or not. Oh, well...)

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Twenty-Nine, at the very same moment, on the island of Tahiti, in a small, bamboo-made room. Outside, it is just turning into early evening. An exasperated Jim Morse, dressed in summer clothing, is looking around, going through the room. The room's small dresser drawers are on the floor, along with the bed's covers and pillows. Two men in similar summer clothing, one of which we recognize as the "average-looking" man from "Sister Pact" and now known with the full name "Wes Perry", are with him. A rather small Tahitian man named "Toanui" is the other person.)

 

WES: --And you say the woman left here only a few days ago, Toanui?

TOANUI: (Nods:) Yes sir, Mr. Perry, according to what the hotel manager said. (Turns to Jim:) I showed him the picture of Miss Appleton, sir, and he said she was the woman. He also said she seemed to be in a really big hurry to leave. (Jim cocks an eyebrow) The hotel manager also said he didn't know where she was headed.

JIM: (Slight frown, glances around again, hands on hips:) Dammit! I went through this room with a fine toothcomb, and now it's clean as a whistle!

TOANUI: (Brief, exasperated look, hesitates:) Uh, well, Mr. Morse--(Stops)

JIM: (Glares:) What? Spit it out, man!

TOANUI: (Draws back a little:) Well, sir, it has been a few days, and a couple had stayed here after Miss Appleton left, according to the hotel manager. Anything that Miss Appleton may had left here to show where she might've traveled to would be gone, and if so, the hotel maid would've either cleaned it up, or would’ve reported anything left behind. In fact, I had asked the hotel manager about which maid had cleaned this room. Upon finding her, the maid told me that nothing was amiss in here. In fact, the room was quite spotless when the maid came to clean it up.

JIM: (Slaps head:) Crap! Well, why didn't you tell me that before I started tearing this place apart?!

TOANUI: (Draws back again:) I'm--sorry, Mr. Morse! You simply came right in, and began to go through the room before I could say anyth--

JIM: (Interrupts, throws arms in air, rolls eyes:) --Oh, never mind! We're right freakin’ back to where we started, Wes! Now what?!

WES: (Slight frown in thought, pauses:) It seems pretty obvious that your ex-wife knew we were coming here, Mr. Morse. Someone warned her. (Sighs:) I told you that since she’s very rich, she could afford to pay people to cover for her. (Jim snorts. Wes narrows eyes, looks off to the side:) Who knows? That same person or persons might be watching us…

JIM: (Snarls:) Oh, yeah?! Well, he'd better not be outside right now, because if he is, I'll kick his ass clean back to wherever the hell he came >from after I get him to tell me where my ex is! (Suddenly turns, leaves the hut-like, but thoroughly modern hotel room. After a moment, shouts from outside:) Nobody’s out here, the bastard! C'mon, Wes! Pay the man, and then let's get the hell out of here! We're going to regroup! (A door, presumably from an unseen vehicle, is heard slamming)

With a small sigh, Wes turned to Toanui. He reached into his shirt pocket, and pulled out a wad of American bills, giving them to an eager-looking Toanui, who quickly took them, pocketing them in his left pants pocket.

WES: Well, thanks for all of your help, Toanui. At least I provided him with something tangible for the moment. If I hadn’t found out his ex-wife was here, he would’ve surely fired me.

TOANUI: (Smiles:) Then it is good that you did, is it not? I hope you both find her, Mr. Perry. Good luck, sir.

WES: (Shakes his head slowly, slight smile:) Thanks, Toanui, but my gut instinct tells me that we’ve got a long ways to go if someone’s working for Miss Appleton to keep us from finding her. That lady's got plenty of money to easily keep hiding from us for years with the resources she has. (Chuckles:) If you pay enough people to keep you from being found, you won't be. Good bye. (Leaves)

TOANUI: (Watches after him from the doorway:) Good bye, sir. (From outside, the vehicle's door is heard slamming again, and is immediately followed by the engine starting up, then of the vehicle leaving)

Toanui turned away from the door and walked back into the room, absentmindedly leaving the door open behind him. He smirked as he pulled out his money to count it.

TOANUI: (Thought v.o.: I couldn't agree more with your statement about paying people enough money to stay hidden, Mr. Perry. Between you and Miss Appleton's "source" that's letting her know where you and Mr. Morse are, I've done quite well. Oh, yes--I promised her "source" that I would call him...)

Toanui pocketed the money back into his left pants pocket and dug into his right pants pocket, pulling out a cell phone. He opened it up, and dialed. After a moment, a voice familiar to Toanui crackled on the other end.

TOANUI: Hello, sir. It’s Toanui. (Pauses, nods:) Yes, it's done. They just departed. Mr. Morse and Mr. Perry have no idea where Miss Appleton could be. (Pauses:) From what I have seen, they are completely at a loss, and are planning to regroup at their hotel to decide where they go from here. (Pauses, slight smile:) You are quite welcome sir and thank you for your generous payment to me to mislead them. (Pauses, cocks eyebrow:) Oh? Miss Appleton is the one I should be thanking? Well, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by that since you are working for her. Could you thank her for me, then? Thank you. (Pauses, smirks:) Well, yes sir, I must admit I felt a tad uncomfortable in taking their money in addition to yours--hers, but they seemed to be so eager to find her, they practically shoved money in my face from the moment they saw me, and kept doing so! Who am I to deny such generosity?

A chuckling sound was heard from the other end of the phone. Toanui continued.

TOANUI: Your instruction in my hanging around here and "bumping" into them when they first arrived really paid off-- (grins:) in more ways than one. (Pauses:) Thank you again, sir. I, too am glad that we kept in touch after that vacation you had here a few years ago. It was good to hear from you again. (Smiles:) Perhaps you could come here again for another vacation with your girlfriend--? (A garbled “Maybe” is heard from the other end) Goodbye, sir, and I hope that Miss Appleton will be well. (Clicks off phone)

Toanui pocketed his phone back, and the moment he turned around, two hulking, smirking men, dressed in similar summer clothing to his but wearing black gloves, walked into the room. They were none other than William Appleton's minions "Miguel" and "Louis". "Louis" grabbed a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging from the inside doorknob, and hung it on the outside doorknob, then quietly shut the door behind him and locked it. He proceeded to then pull out a gun with a silencer, while Miguel playfully made a “shushing” motion. Toanui drew back, alarmed.

TOANUI: (Turning pale:) W-Who are you? What do you want? (Thought v.o.: No! Not the money I have earned!)

"LOUIS": (Slight, sinister-looking smile, in his French accent, calm tone:) Relax--"Toanui", is it not? We’ll ask all of the questions here, all right? (Toanui is about to speak, “Louis” quickly but calmly adds:) Please do not attempt to shout or I will be forced to shoot you.

TOANUI: (Swallows hard:) I-I won’t shout…

“LOUIS”: (Condescending tone, quickly grins for an instant:) No, of course you won’t. We are not here for the money we have heard you have received, if that is what you’re thinking. We're here for information. (Slowly moves toward him with "Miguel" as he resumes his sinister-looking smile)

TOANUI: (After a moment, cocks an eyebrow, looks from one to the other as he backs away:) "Information"?

"MIGUEL": (Same smile, in his Spanish accent:) That's right, Toanui, information. We want to know where Lucille Appleton is, and who is working for her. That is why you have your money, is it not? We heard you talking near the end of your conversation to someone over your cell phone about her just now. Presumably, this is the person she is counting on to keep Mr. Morse and Mr. Perry from following her, as well as that Mr. White fellow, is it not?

TOANUI: (Pauses, stunned expression as he continues to back away, knocking over a light on the end table beside the bed:) What?! How do you know about those men following her? (Realizes:) You--you were watching us, weren’t you? Why didn’t Mr. Morse see you?

“LOUIS”: (Still in his calm tone and grinning:) Obviously, we were hiding >from his prying eyes outside, and didn’t come out until he and Mr. Perry had left the premises, with my associate and I hearing the end of your conversation. Besides, I believe I distinctly said that we’ll ask all of the questions here. Now, where is she, and who is working for her?

TOANUI: (Terrified expression, frantic:) I-I don't know where she is, or the man working for her! I swear! I wasn't told anything by either her, or the man! He never told me his name, and she didn’t, either! I was instructed by phone to merely mislead the men who were after her by the man working for her! (Now is against a wall near the bed as both men close in)

"LOUIS": (Grins even more sinisterly with "Miguel", his face very close to Toanui's, breath stinking, head slowly shakes:) Tisk, tisk. Toanui, Toanui. You just told the man you hoped you’d see him if he ever came to your country again for a vacation with his “girlfriend”. We heard the end of your conversation, remember? (Toanui turns pale in realization) Now, let us not play these games, amusing as they may be… (Casually places the gun barrel to his head as “Miguel” pins him roughly against the wall)

TOANUI: (Desperate tone:) All right! All right! I’ll tell you who’s working for Miss Appleton, but I really don’t know where she is! I was never told, and I didn’t ask! All I wanted was the money! Just please don’t shoot me! I have a family to support!

“MIGUEL”: (Chuckles with “Louis”:) A family to support, eh? Well, now, we can’t be so heartless as to take you away from them with a shot to the head, can we? You have our word, Toanui. ("Louis" nods in agreement) We won’t shoot you. Now, tell us who is working for Millie Appleton…

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Thirty, about an hour later, back in Lawndale. Trent, wearing a nice black leather jacket, turtleneck sweater, and jeans [As opposed to his usual attire. He looks quite distinguished for a change.] walks into the Zen with Krystal. Trent is smiling. Both stop just inside the entrance. One or two customers are at a table or two, talking. It is the late morning, after all.)

 

TRENT: (Shakes head slowly:) Whoa. I still can’t believe how you were able to deal with Happy Herb, Krystal. He can usually drive a really hard bargain. (Smiles:) Man, I can't wait to pick up my new ride this afternoon after he finishes cleaning it. Just a few more hours in my old ride, then I can get rid of it for good--(Shrugs:) not that I don't have any really bad memories, save for pushing it on occasion...

KRYSTAL: (Thought v.o.: Do tell. I practically slumped in the seat trying not to let anyone see me in it while coming here...:) ("Grins":) It’s as easy as pie, Trent. It pays to be prepared. I did all of my research on the Internet on used car trade-ins before I came down here. Add to that my knowledge of financing from my accounting major, and "Herb" was floored. (Smirks, smug look:) Plus, it doesn’t hurt that I had a pretty face. (Trent returns the smirk) He probably thought he could run over me because of that, thinking I was an airhead.

TRENT: Yeah, but you sure showed him. (Grins:) You really turned on the charm while getting him to lower the price of the newer car I brought from him after I traded in my old car, too. (Pauses, adds:) Oh, and having that local mechanic there to check out the car I chose didn't hurt, either. Happy Herb was really surprised to see him there.

KRYSTAL: Yes, he was also part of my Internet research. I made arrangements to have him waiting for us when we arrived. That "Herb" guy would've been less likely to have pulled off something underhanded with our own certified mechanic there. Everything's in the art of deal-making, Trent. You’d do well to remember that in your musical career. Combine the charm and the know-how of your business, and the sky’s the limit, (Coy expression:) aaaand--?

TRENT: (Nods, adds:) --To keep my eyes on the prize. Yeah, I know. (Sighs:) Speaking of knowing business, I just hope we can find someone to replace Mrs. M in handling our band's business. She was really good at representing us. I know she's really busy with her full partner lawyer stuff and can't be there for us totally now, but still--(looks off warily, sighs)

KRYSTAL: (Smirks:) Oh, I'm sure you'll find somebody, Trent. How hard could it be in finding someone else that knows the ins and outs of conducting your group's business affairs? If they know accounting--(Subtly smug tone:) like me, that is--you’ll have it made! (Thought v.o., inwardly smirks: Go aheeead, get it out, Trent. Do what I expect and want you to do...)

TRENT: (Suddenly realizes as he stares at her:) Um, hey, I just thought of something, Krystal. (Pauses:) Why don't you handle our group's off-stage business? You seem to be really good at doing this, since accounting’s your major, right? I'm sure the guys would go along with me.

KRYSTAL: (Thought v.o.: Like clockwork. This boy is utterly predictable.) (False look of surprise, "gasps":) Me, Trent? You can't be serious! I have college! I just wouldn't have the time, I'd be so busy! Plus, have you forgotten that I don't live here? (Thought v.o.: Beg me, Trent...)

TRENT: (Gently turns Krystal to him by her shoulders, smiles:) Yeah, I know you're busy with college, but you've said you usually have your accounting stuff done on Fridays and have the weekends free, right? You could do it with our bank on your computer. I could give you a password to our account after we create one on it, or whatever. You don't have to be here.

KRYSTAL: (Grins, surprised:) Ohh, so you know about banking online, huh?

TRENT: (Slight blush, returns grin:) Nah. Just that I was told about it >from the banking guy here. (Shrugs:) I didn't really worry about it since the group was keeping our money in the bank the old-fashioned way, you know, after Darren told us that we could do that...

KRYSTAL: Ah. (Pauses:) Well, I suppose I could help you and your band out, Trent, (Suddenly glances off to the side, “sad” look:) but, weeeell--

TRENT: (Cocked eyebrow:) Huh? What?

KRYSTAL: (Now “pained” expression:) --It’s--just--(Shakes head, "sighs":) oh, never mind--

TRENT: (Caresses her cheek, smirks:) Hey, c’mon, Krystal, it’s cool. You can tell me.

KRYSTAL: (“Meek” tone, looks off for a moment:) Okay. It’s--it’s Jane.

TRENT: (Surprised expression:) Janey? What about her?

KRYSTAL: (Rolls eyes:) Oh, come on, Trent. We both know that she doesn’t like me for some reason. You know what happened between her and me this morning, don’t deny it. If I start helping you and your band with your money, I’ll be in your lives more, even with the computer online banking. (“Anxious” look and tone:) I’ll have to call you and the guys more frequently to confirm money decisions, which means Jane will answer the phone, or I’ll have to leave more e-mails on Jane’s computer since she’s the only one in your house who has one, and--

TRENT: (Lightly puts his index finger on her mouth, softer tone:) Shh. Janey’s cool with us now, Krystal, really. We talked about it just before you came with Darren.

KRYSTAL: (Extremely skeptical expression:) What?! (Snorts:) You’re kidding! What did she tell you?

TRENT: (Shrugs:) Well, uh, it was more of what I told her. I figured that she must’ve been kinda jealous that you and I were, uh--

KRYSTAL: (Snuggles up to him, smirks:) --Becoming “closer”?

TRENT: (Slightly red-faced, then returns the snuggle:) Yeah. You know, I kinda figured Janey felt like I was gonna push my baby sister out of the way, and replace her with you in my life. I was able to let her know that it would never come down to that with us, and she got it. (Shrugs:) About this morning--well, she was just working out her anxiety because she was surprised to see you so soon like I was, that’s all--

KRYSTAL: (Thought v.o. as she continues to snuggle against him: Yeah, right. And Jane let you continue to think that, “getting it”. Smart girl, not showing her hand like that too soon. She’s probably told Daria already what Trent told her, too…)

TRENT: --in fact, she’s got a surprise welcome present to give to you when she comes back from school.

KRYSTAL: (Raised eyebrows, draws back:) A present? From Jane? (Thought v.o., half-serious: It can’t be a bomb, unless she plans to secretly slip it in my room. No--she wouldn’t want to damage her house, even if it is a dump…) (Smiles “sweetly” at Trent, caresses his face:) Trent, honey, um, what’s the present? I’m dying to know, because I really don’t like surprises. I assume it’s probably something from her artwork, right? (Trent looks slightly uncomfortable. Krystal holds him tighter, in a purring tone:) Don’t worry, sweetie. I promise to look shocked when Jane shows it to me…

TRENT: (Wavering, becoming mesmerized, slight smile:) Ummm, well, I figured Janey wouldn’t want me to tell you, but it’s not like she asked me not to say anything, though--

The next moment, a short, smiling young man wearing a tee shirt and jeans, who appeared to be in his early thirties, arrived from behind Trent, interrupting him. He had ring piercings in his lips, ears, and face, and wore his long black hair in a ponytail. Krystal narrowed her eyes for an instant at the man, more out of concern than annoyance. She subtly stepped behind Trent, who had turned to the man, smiling himself. Both gave a high five.

TRENT: Hey, Dade.

DADE: Whassup, Trent! (Eyes him over:) Whoa, nice threads! (Krystal smirks)

TRENT: (Glances down at himself:) Yeah, well, thanks. My girlfriend here brought some new clothes for me and the band. (Motions head at her:) We--she decided on a new look. (Krystal licks her tongue out at him playfully) Max and Nick's threads were dropped off before we came here, and you know Jesse is gone for a few days with his girlfriend, so we left his clothes at his pad. (Motions to a yet-now once again concerned-looking Krystal, who steps from behind Trent) Oh, yeah, speaking of girlfriends--Krystal, this is Dade, who owns the Zen. Dade, this is Krystal McKinna, the girl I told you about. She came here with Janey's boyfriend, Darren, early this morning.

DADE: (Shakes Krystal's hand:) Hey, Krystal. Trent's really gone on about you every time I see him. I feel as if I know you already. Nice to meet you.

KRYSTAL: (Slight, uncomfortable smile:) Dade. Nice to meet you too. Trent's told me about you as well.

DADE: (Chuckles, winks at a smirking Trent:) All good things, I hope. (Pauses, cocks an eyebrow:) Uh, I'm sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but have we met before? (Trent appears slightly surprised)

KRYSTAL: (Cocks her own eyebrow, keeps calm:) Um, I don't think so. This is my first trip to Lawndale. I live in a town called Maness, the same place Darren lives. It's in New York state, just north of New York City.

DADE: (Another pause:) Huh. I could've sworn I've seen you in here before. (Shrugs:) Oh, well. Sorry.

KRYSTAL: ("Grins", relieved inside:) No problem. I get mistaken for a lot of people. I guess I'm just that type of person.

TRENT: (Smiles:) Yeah--the type of person who gets that line from guys all of the time. (Krystal chuckles with Dade, playfully swats at Trent)

DADE: (To Trent:) So, I guess you're here for the group's paycheck, right?

TRENT: Yeah, man. I hope I didn't come too early...

DADE: (Holds hand up, chuckles:) Nah. I cut the check last night before I did the final deposits for the day. I'm just glad you guys were willing to wait a few days for it.

TRENT: (Grins:) No sweat. We play at McGrundy's too, so we had more than enough bread to tie us over. We know you wanna have some extra money for upgrading the place. (Looks around with Krystal:) When were you gonna start again?

DADE: The end of next week, man--right after you guys play your gigs here. We'll be closed for a couple of days. (Pauses, anxious look:) Uh, speaking of McGrundy's, did you guys talk about my proposal to just play here exclusively, and not there anymore when you do Lawndale-only gigs? (Krystal narrows an eye at him) $800 for each performance. What did Mrs. Morgendorffer say?

TRENT: (Looks off for a brief instant, uncomfortable:) Uh, well, about that. We really haven't talked to her yet. See--

KRYSTAL: (Smoothly interrupting:) --Mrs. Morgendorffer's not really representing Trent's band anymore, Dade. Trent told me she's going to be busy at her law firm more now that she's a full partner there. (Pauses:) I am. (Trent's eyebrows rise in surprise. Krystal smirks:) If I'm going to handle your band's off stage business, Trent, don't you think I should also handle their on stage business as well? I freely admit that I don't have the experience of managing a group, but I'm sure I could do well with you and the guys helping me out on occasion when I need your advice.

TRENT: (Smiles:) Uh, yeah, sure, Krystal, I guess that makes sense, and I'm really cool with it, but what changed your mind about helping us?

KRYSTAL: (Bemused expression:) "Changed"? I never really gave you a definitive answer the first time, from what I recall. I said I suppose I could help out. We never got to that point, veering off to Jane, remember?

TRENT: (Smirks:) Okay, yeah, you got me. (Pauses:) So, uh, what do you think about Dade's proposal?

KRYSTAL: (Glances coolly at Dade, who still looks anxious:) I'll have to get back with you on that, Dade. I just found out about your proposal, after all, and I have to consider it very carefully. Plus, it seems to me that this "McGrundy's" should have the right to match your offer. I'm assuming they don't know, and it wouldn't seem, oh I don't know, fair for you to secretly do a deal without their knowledge.

DADE: (Wide-eyed:) What?! (Narrows eyes:) A bidding war, is that it? But--

KRYSTAL: (Sharply interrupts, crosses arms, stern expression:) --I've spoken, Dade. It's pretty clear to me that both of your fine establishments like Mystik Spiral's music, as opposed to the past. You want them exclusively, then the price is going to go up exclusively--from the Zen or McGrundy's. I'll get back to you after I consider your offer, and have talked with McGrundy's about it as well, and give them a chance to match it. (Dade frowns. Krystal grins while Trent stares at her, impressed:) If you want to drop your offer, then perhaps I can go to McGr--

DADE: (Sighs, holds up hand:) --No, that's all right, Krystal. You can talk to McGrundy's if you want. I can wait, I guess. Anything they might come up with I can match, anyway. When can you give me an answer?

KRYSTAL: (Ponders for a moment:) How about tonight, around eight o'clock? I can take care of everything by then, and things would've settled down. You've got Trent's number, right? I'm staying with him and Jane at his house.

DADE: (Nods:) Yeah--

KRYSTAL: Good. Now, about the group's paycheck--?

DADE: (Pauses, gives her a leery look:) Uh, yeah, sure. (Grudging tone of admiration:) Trent, you've got a tough, smart gal there, you know that? She seems to sound like someone who knows what she's doing, despite having no experience of managing a group. (Subtle grumble:) Can't get much by her--

KRYSTAL: (Picks up on this, slightly smirks:) Why, thank you, Dade--

TRENT: (Puts arm around her waist, grins:) --Don't I know it, man--more now than ever. (Suddenly surprises Krystal by kissing her deeply. The club's few present customers gawk in the background. After an instant, Krystal returns the kiss)

DADE: (After a long moment, sighs, gently taps Trent's shoulder:) Ah, Trent--? (Trent finally breaks off the kiss with Krystal, looks at Dade) You wanna come with me in back to get the check, or do you wanna keep kissing your girlfriend in the middle of the place and draw attention?

TRENT: (Grins, glances at Krystal:) I dunno, man. That's a pretty tough decision.

KRYSTAL: (Grins back at Trent:) Follow the man and get the group's check, you pervert. We can always pick up where we left off later.

TRENT: Deal. We'll be back in a few, Krystal. (Leaves with Dade)

Krystal let out a small sigh as she saw them leave, then went over to the bar, sitting down on a stool. The bartender, yet another young-looking, ponytailed man wearing ring piercings in his face, came up. 

BARTENDER: What'll it be?

KRYSTAL: (After a brief, uncomfortable stare:) Um, just a club soda.

The bartender nodded, prepared the drink, then gave it to Krystal, who nodded her thanks. Krystal took a sip as she narrowed her eyes in deep thought, while the bartender began to clean the bar's counter.

Damn, that was close. At least he brought it. You took a hell of a chance in thinking that Dade guy wouldn't recognize you, Krystal--or for that matter, the bartender Curry, here. You practically bumped into Dade that day you came into the Zen disguised to ask around about Jane, Daria, Tom, and yes, even Sandi Griffin. On top of that, he tried to actually come on to you! Not that I could blame him, since I did look sexy at the time. Maybe you should've begged off and stayed outside while Trent came in...no, that might've made him ask too many questions. Trent's a slow boy, but he's not totally clueless.

Krystal stared ahead in space for a moment, then showed a tiny grin.

That kiss he gave me was quite intense, like the one I gave him earlier this morning in front of Jane. I just wished I knew why she didn't get pissed when I did it, like I expected. Did she know something I didn't, or was she just covering up her anger? I'm at a disadvantage, here, with her and Daria against me. Jane's bad enough, but my real challenge may end up being Daria. She's obviously sharp and intelligent, and despite daddy's little cover story to her to help me out, Daria's still not convinced. What did I expect? Tom Sloane seems to not hold anything toward me, but it wouldn't surprise me if he, Jane, and Daria were in cahoots against me. That bitch Sandi Griffin got hers though with that call I made to get her parents to Darren's, and if she ever tries anything against me again, she'll get worse...

Krystal showed a slow smirk.

I don't have to worry about ding-a-ling Quinn, at least. I won her over after buying her some clothes with Curtis' sisters when she last visited us. She practically worships the ground I walk on. As for Darren's birth parents, they're basically clueless about me, particularly his birth father. What a joke! The man is pathetic! I actually feel sorry for him! Helen Morgendorffer's far sharper, which would explain where Daria got her wits. She could turn against me in a New York minute if her daughter convinced her I was some sort of conniving bitch--provided Daria had the proof against me, of course. It's the lawyer instinct in Helen that would demand evidence. I'd better be extra nice to both of Darren's birth parents in any case--no need to alienate the possible future in-laws...

Krystal glanced around nonchalantly, eliciting a low chuckle.

Moving onto other things, a renovation can only help this dump. Looks as if Dade's wanting to upgrade to a better clientele, which is a step in the right direction. When McGrundy's finds out about the offer he made to Trent's band, they'll definitely want to not only match it, but probably to double it. McGrundy's looked much better inside than the Zen when I visited there later the same day in my "disguise". Dade wants to challenge McGrundy's, does he? Well, he's going to have to dig damn deep for Trent's band. When Jane, and Daria, for that matter, find out about my little moves, it should drive them nuts--and score me some serious brownie points with Darren.

Krystal gave a tiny snort as she drank more of her soda.

This place brings back some memories I'd sooner forget. I never knew how much trouble that bitch "Sesame" would end up being after I first met her here. I hope she spends her money wisely, because if she tries to end up blackmailing me for more after she blows it all away, she'll regret it, that I promise. I warned her. I wasn't bluffing...

Krystal took yet another swig, then frowned deeply.

Rory, don't hurt Stacy during your little side trip to Baltimore. You do, and you'll regret it. I know how you are with girls, you sleezy ass--you work your way into their blouses, their pants or skirts, then their panties, and then--

MAN: (Suddenly showing up from her right side, grinning. He is tall and muscular, with tattoos, and has what appears to be small oil stains on his face and arms:) Hey there, sweet cheeks. Name's Rocco. What's yours? (Curry notices Rocco, winces, then reluctantly comes over)

KRYSTAL: (Now frowns, startled, draws back in disgust, the same for the few customers who now notice him in the background:) The hell--? (Cold tone:) Try "uninterested", as opposed to "sweet cheeks". (Pauses, dismissive tone as she turns back to her drink:) Beat it.

ROCCO: (Grins even more, leers:) Heh, that's funny, baby! I like them with a good sense of humor--(Starts to lean closer to a glaring, but unmoving Krystal)

CURRY: (Obviously uncomfortable look, but bravely continues to try and give Krystal a break:) Hey, uh, what--brings you in here now, Rocco? I've never seen you in here this early. (Krystal merely stares at the bartender stoically)

ROCCO: (Distracted, stops:) Huh? Slow day at the garage, Curry. Nobody's bringin' in their heaps for me to fix, so I'm takin' a break--(Scowls, slaps the counter:) Gimmie my free beer, and step on it!

CURRY: S-Sure, Rocco. (Turns away to fetch Rocco's "free" beer. Krystal cocks a curious, cool eyebrow at him)

ROCCO: (Snorts:) Wuss. (Grins with his leer again, leans closer to her:) Now where were we, honey?

KRYSTAL: (Holds up her hand, cool tone:) In a moment. (Pauses:) You don't pay for your beers, "Rocco"?

ROCCO: (Laughs out loud:) Hell no! The bouncers know better around here than to mess with me! Even the damn cops avoid this place 'causa me! (Curry gives him the "free" beer. Rocco places the bottle top between his teeth, pops it off, spits the top away:) Want some, babe?

Krystal was about to respond when she looked past Rocco, and noticed that Trent and Dade had come from the rear. Both frowned at the scene, particularly, of course, Trent. He immediately went over, slapping Dade's now-present hand >from his shoulder. Krystal showed a bemused smirk. Rocco gave her an odd look, then followed her gaze, turning around. Dade gave a look that screamed, "Trent's toast".

TRENT: (Points at him, as angry as we've ever seen him:) Hey, Rocco, back off from my girl, man! She's with me!

ROCCO: (Grins wickedly, cracks his knuckles, rises from his stool:) Famous last words, Lane. I'll write ‘em on your tombstone. (Trent turns white, now having second thoughts)

The next few moments were a blur. Krystal immediately grabbed Rocco's muscular left arm, and flipped him over viciously hard unto the floor, promptly dropping the jaws of every male in the club. She then stomped viciously hard on his ribs, which promptly elicited an agonizing scream from Rocco. Next, Krystal performed a series of well-positioned, viciously hard karate chops/slaps on Rocco's face in rapid succession as she sat on his chest. She followed this by her suddenly leaping up, then delivering a viciously hard kick between Rocco's legs, which caused all of the still-shell shocked males in the club to wince. Rocco screamed even louder as he balled up like a sleeping baby, releasing a torrent of expletives. Krystal stared down at him in utter disgust.

KRYSTAL: (Snarls:) I eat people like y--no, you're too low on the evolutionary pole to be a person--animals like you alive, you rotten son of a bitch! Consider yourself lucky that I'm cutting you a break, despite the fact that you tried to attack my boyfriend! (Grabs Rocco's beer >from the counter, slowly pours it on him as she wickedly smirks, sneers:) Enjoy your free beer, you sexist bastard. (From the side, several chuckles are heard >from the few customers at the nearby tables)

Krystal casually put the bottle back on the counter. She pulled out a $20 bill, and slapped it on the counter beside the bottle.

KRYSTAL: Keep the change, Curry. I know you were only trying to help me out back there, but I can take care of myself, as you've just seen. (Smug smile:) Thanks anyway. (Turns, saunters toward Trent)

CURRY: (Still wide-eyed, slowly takes the money as he looks after her:) N-No problem...

Trent covered the remaining distance between the two, clearly concerned as he hugged her fiercely. A smirking Dade casually walked by the couple, eyeing the fallen, swollen and bruised Rocco as he strolled over to the bar, taking a beer of his own from Curry.

TRENT: Aw, man! Baby, I was so worried! He could've--

KRYSTAL: (Interrupts smoothly as she eyes Rocco herself:) --Gotten his ass kicked even worse, Trent. (Smiles as she turns back to Trent:) Relax. I knew what I was doing. I was more concerned about your well-being, lover.

TRENT: (Looks away for an instant, red-faced:) Uh, yeah. About that--I could've handled him if I had to, you know...

KRYSTAL: (Caresses his face, gentler tone:) Uh-huh. Sweetie, I really appreciate what you tried to do, but this is the 90's, you know. We gals can take care of ourselves if we really have to-- (Wicked grin:) at least the ones who took martial arts like me, that is.

TRENT: (Nods, glances around, embarrassed expression:) Yeah, I know, but it still doesn't seem right for you to help me.

KRYSTAL: (Snorts, "pouts":) So I should've played the weak little princess to your Sir Lancelot? (Draws away, brief frown:) Sorry, not my style--

TRENT: (Alarmed look, quickly holds her hands:) No, Krystal, that's not it! It's just--just (Pained expression:) that I'm beginning to care about you a lot, and if anything bad ever happened to you and I couldn't stop it, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I wouldn't have minded if Rocco had kicked my ass just to have spared you taking him on because he’s not worth fighting over me. But my fighting him is worth it over you. (Krystal looks stunned. Trent slumps, sighs, slowly releases her hands:) Yeah, it’s a guy thing, I know, and I’m sorry about that. It's just in us. I know you can take care of yourself, especially after what just happened, but, well... (Looks off, red-faced)

Krystal changed her stunned expression and eyed him for a brief moment, studying him with a mostly expressionless look, as if she was seeing him for the very first time--and she was.

He really has developed some deep feelings for me. I suppose I should've expected this, but still, it's a tiny shock. I figured he'd be drawn to my looks, maybe to "use" me for his band as much as I'm using him as a tool to piss off Jane and to get her so worked up, it would cause her to have trouble with Darren and maybe break them up, but here Trent is, actually caring about me, spilling his emotions to me, and making me feel so special. He was willing to allow himself to be beaten to a pulp by this jackass for me? Maybe--maybe--

Krystal suddenly blinked while staring up at Trent, suddenly snapping out of her seeming trance.

What the hell was that all about? You idiot! He's cute and nice and a great kisser, yeah, but you don't like like him! That's reserved for Darren!

KRYSTAL: (Slight smile, gently takes his hands:) It's--okay, Trent. I should be the one who does the apologizing. You were only trying to protect me, and there's nothing wrong with that. If anything, I should be flattered, sweetie. (Hooks her arm with his:) Come on. I want to treat you to a brunch to show my thanks, and I'm not taking 'no' for an answer. (Snuggles next to Trent:) Show me which places a gal and her beau can eat around here, hmmm...?

TRENT: (Grins:) Well, since you're treating... (Begins to walk out with her:) Later, Dade.

DADE: (While leaning against the counter, motions to them with his beer:) See you, Trent. Krystal. I'll be waiting for that call. (Watches them leave through the front doors, then stares down cooly at Rocco, who's just starting to rise, though shakily. In a casual tone:) How're you feeling, Rocco?

ROCCO: (Leveling a murderous gaze at the door, wheezes:) How in the hell do you think I'm feelin', Dade?! If that bitch thinks that this is over, then she's dead wrong! I'm gonna--

DADE: (Interrupts, droll tone:) --Rocco, you're not thinking about going after her, are you? I'd think that you should've learned your lesson--

ROCCO: --You mean fight her?! Damned if I'm gonna get near her again, if I can help it! (Curry and everyone else looks stunned. Dade's expression is stoic) She's a freakin' psycho shemale badass, kinda like that Barch bitch teacher I had once a few years back when I went to Lawndale High! (Wicked grin:) Babes like that need to be arrested for 'salt an' battery, instead! For once, ol' Rocco's gonna use his head, and call th' cops! (Weezes again in pain, staggers against the bar:) Ow! Damn it!

DADE: (Still in his droll tone:) You mean, the same cops who avoid the Zen like the plague because of you? The same cops who, more than likely, will probably laugh at you when they find out that you've gotten your ass kicked by a girl? (Curry begins to chuckle in a low tone like the remaining customers) Maybe this is one time you shouldn't use your head.

ROCCO: (Furious now, shocked:) What the--? You ain't never spoke to me like that before! Do you know who I am?!

DADE: (Tries not to smile:) So now you have amnesia, is that it? Krystal must've kicked your ass harder than I thought. (Suddenly frowns:) First, I'd seriously believe that no one in this place will vouch for you as a witness, (Looks around:) am I right? (Everyone scowls at Rocco, nods their heads) Yeah, I'm right. Second, I'm willing to also believe that these same people aren't going to hesitate to spread the news that the great Rocco Malvoni lost to a girl, (Looks around again:) am I right? (Everyone then grins at Rocco, nods) Yeah, I'm right again. You're screwed.

ROCCO: (Glares at him, stunned, then at everyone else:) You sons of bitches! Just you wait! I'm gonna--(Winces, slumps slightly:) AH!

DADE: (Ignores his cry:) Third, since you're exactly in no condition to do anything to anyone, I've tallied up all of the "free" beer you've consumed over the years, and you know what? I'm going to get what you owe: $1,000. (Pauses, adds, smirks:) Here and now.

ROCCO: (Wide-eyed:) WHAT?! NOW?! How in the hell are you gonna-- (Scowls, gives him an uncomfortable look:) Kiss my ass! You ain't gettin' a dime! (Winces yet again, bends over forward a little:) GAH! That bitch!

DADE: (Now in a very calm voice:) Oh, I'm getting my money back, Rocco...

Dade calmly nodded to the rear. The next moment three large, muscular men, not quite as big as Rocco, but appearing just as menacing, came out. They too, had pierced rings on their faces and ears, and had tattoos on their arms like Rocco. Presumably, these were the Zen's bouncers. They came up beside Dade, and crossed their arms, appearing stoic, and looking as if they meant business. Curry and the few patrons present watched intently.

ROCCO: (Snorts, notices:) Hah! Dumb, Dumber, and the Dumbest? I think you guys forgot I've kicked alla yer asses combined more times than I can remember! You couldn't handle me! (The trio frown slightly, but Dade motions to them all, silencing them)

DADE: That may have been true in the past, Rocco, but if you'll recall, I just said that you're exactly in no condition to do anything to anyone, (Brutally cold tone:) which means that you won't stop them when they flip your ass upside down, and take the wad of money you usually brag that you carry on your person. (Rocco looks wide-eyed in shock. Motions head:) Gentleman.

Rocco suddenly tried to desperately swing at Dade, but immediately winced once again in pain, and instantly, the three bouncers grabbed him by his arms, and flipped him upside down effortlessly, shaking him as they held his legs, while a struggling Rocco screamed yet more expletives. Surely enough, several wads of money fell out onto the floor. Dade stooped down, calmly picked up each wad, then opened them up, and started counting. The bouncers then dropped Rocco on his head and shoulders like a rag doll. Curry and the few patrons laughed.

ROCCO: (Looking up at Dade, miserable expression:) You bastard! Gimmie back my money! (Looks around, scowls:) SHUT TH' HELL UP, ALLAYOU! (Everyone, now including the bouncers, laughs even harder at him, save for Dade, who is concerned with counting the money)

DADE: (Now finishes counting:) Yeah, this'll do quite nicely, Rocco. Looks as if things weren't so slow at the garage, were they? You've paid up your tab. (Frowns:) By the way, you're also banned from ever coming in here again. I'm looking to upgrade my customers when we reopen after renovations, and you're not one of them. Your little aura of invincibility's vanished, Malvoni. Beat it.

Rocco glared at Dade and everyone else one last time, and struggled to rise, slightly bent over. He wordlessly left the Zen, thoroughly humiliated.

 

                                                                                              **********

 

There was a cab parked down and across the street from the Zen. From the back seat, Tina observed a large and very bruised muscular man with tattoos on his arms and wearing a denim vest over his bare chest stagger out. For a brief moment, she thought he was drunk, but the man seemed to be in control of his faculties, only that he appeared to be in great pain. Tina wondered what could've made this man be in pain, when the man suddenly stopped, and reached between his legs while moaning. This drew a disgusted gasp from an old woman, who had happened to be passing by while carrying a bag of groceries. The old woman screamed, "You pervert!". She promptly dropped her bag, and began hitting the stunned man with her purse. She started to chase the now-cowering man down the street while still hitting him. Tina and the scruffy-looking cab driver watched the scene, wide-eyed in shock.

What a way to start the day! First, Krystal and Trent leave this "Zen" place, then this big ape comes out, rubbing his family jewels. One guess as to what happened: that guy probably tried to come onto Krystal, who was the only female I observed entering the place, and she subsequently ended up kicking his ass and apparently his crotch. Call me crazy, but I think that girl has some moves that could even give me a run for my money. I think she held back a little the last time we worked out at Darren's. I'll have to draw her out a little more when we spar again. Might as well not go inside to see what this "Zen" is like, since there's no point, and I don't want to draw any attention. I'll check out the rest of Lawndale before I swing by the high school. No need to be in a hurry, though. I'll have to be careful no one sees me that I know, of course...

Slightly slumping in the back seat to conceal herself, Tina motioned to the driver (who was being paid by Tina to drive her around for the entire day), and he slowly drove off.

 

 

                                                                                                 **********

 

(Scene Thirty-One, the same time, New York City, in an apartment at Menlo Park)

 

Fully dressed and showered, Victor wordlessly watched his wife, also fully dressed and showered, pack her bags as he sat on their queen-sized bed, his own bags packed the night before beside him on the bed. After a moment, he rose and went over to his wife, gently hugging her from behind. She gave a contented smile, and turned to face him. They began deeply kissing one another. A half-minute passed before they stopped.

CARMELITA: Mmm. That's enough, honey, I've got to go. My flight leaves in two hours from JFK, and I have to check in and get my tickets. (Turns >from him, finishes packing, zips up her bag)

VICTOR: (Smirks, mock-pout:) Drat. Oh well, at least I won't have to be here long to miss you. My own flight to Portland from JFK to check on some of Appleton's operations leaves in four hours. (Grumbles, shakes head:) I can't believe this came up right after the Portland people were in the company meeting. The thing is, I know how those people operate! We know how those people operate! You'd think they could've... (Clears his mind to his wife's smirking, pauses, adds:) Where were you going again all of a sudden? You were in such a rush this morning, I don't recall you saying--

CARMELITA: (As she grabs her luggage bag, exasperated sigh:) --I thought I told you honey, Atlanta. I guess you were in the shower, and you didn't hear everything. My sick sister Frida just called and told me she needed me to help her out for a few days with my nieces. She lives near Atlanta, remember?

VICTOR: (After a moment, nods:) Oh, yes, that's right. Do you want me to call you when I get to Seattle to make sure you made it in?

CARMELITA: (Slightly smiles:) No, that's all right, sweetie. You need to get settled in first, and rest. I'll call you. (Pauses:) In fact, you don't need to worry about me, all right? You need to do what Constance is asking you to do: Concentrate on checking out why the Northwest branch is lagging behind most of the other branches in company performance. She chose you before she left for her little vacation because you were familiar with their operations. I'll call you each day you're there, about 11:00 p.m. my time, 8:00 p.m. your time.

VICTOR: (Cocked eyebrow:) Are you sure?

CARMELITA: (Caresses his face, gentle tone:) I'm sure. You just worry about straightening them out and getting them back on their feet. (Checks out her watch:) I've got to go--(begins to leave)

VICTOR: (Hesitates:) Honey--?

CARMELITA: (Brief, annoyed expression, stops, turns to him as she opens their bedroom door:) Yes, dear?

VICTOR: (Sees that she's bothered, wants to tell her something, but decides to change the subject, continues:) I--well, maybe I can go with you--? I mean, it would only make sense, since we can both go in the car, saving cab fare, and leave it in the airport's parking lot, where we can pay for it to be secured until we return? (Notices her cocked eyebrow, adds with a smile:) I'd like to spend the last few hours of our time together with my beautiful wife, at least.

CARMELITA:  (Pauses as if she's in thought for an instant, adds with a brief smile:) Yes, um, I guess that would be prudent. I'll see you in the car, dear-- (Quickly leaves before Victor can say another word)

Carmelita speedily entered the hallway, only to rush headlong into a young man in his early twenties, who himself was leaving with his own luggage. The two almost dropped their bags as the man quickly reached over and grabbed Carmelita's arm, keeping her from losing her balance.

MAN: (Grins:) Whoa! I got you, babe!

CARMELITA: (Frazzled a little, looks up at him, cocks a quick eyebrow:) Oh, um, thank you. (Repositions her luggage:) Sorry about that. I'm in a rush to get to the airport.

MAN: (Leering smirk as he eyes her over:) No, thank you. I'm leaving town, too, though it's going to be by car. Name's Rory. Rory McKinna. I'm going to Baltimore for some--personal business.

CARMELITA: (Pauses:) I see. Well, I have to go. Nice meeting you-- (Rushes past him)

RORY:  Hey, wait, baby! What's your name?

VICTOR: (Suddenly appearing from the apartment door behind Rory with his own luggage, cool tone, brief frown:) That "baby's" name is Carmelita, and I'm her husband, Victor. (A startled Rory turns around, spooked. Victor locks the door, then turns to him, glares:) Excuse me. (Brushes by Rory)

Rory snorted softly as he eyed Victor for a moment, then left in the other direction down the hallway, coming to an elevator (the other end of the hallway had an elevator as well, but he lived nearest this one). Just before he could push the “down” button, it suddenly opened, depositing two people to the floor. He wordlessly entered with his luggage with the elevator still mostly full, most likely the building’s other tenants. As he turned to push the button, some of his bags hit the others, causing them to glare at him as the doors closed.

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Two, about another hour later, back at the hotel in Tahiti. It is now dark outside.)

 

Wearing summer clothes as well as a large straw hat to help conceal his face, a still-clean shaven Edward White walked up to a door of one of the bamboo-like hotel room huts. After knocking for about a minute, he gingerly clicked open the door and walked into the very dark room, looking around.

Hm. Unlocked. How strange. Well, no matter, I suppose. This time, Neilson had bloody well be right about this, or she'll have a pleasant little surprise awaiting her tomorrow morning when the local constabulary arrives on her job asking her questions about her little illegal insider stock trading deals that they were anonymously informed about. I made that very clear to her.

Edward paused in thought, and gave a low, dismissive snort.

She seemed pretty sure when she told me someone who looked like Millie was seen in here several days ago by somebody she worked with at her brokerage who happened to be here on a vacation, though the person couldn't be sure themselves. Of course, I'm taking an incredible chance in coming around the world to here of all places, but it'll be worth it if Millie's indeed in this room. I have so much I want to tell her...how...stupid I was...

Edward had barely entered the room when he briefly stumbled over something on the floor, almost falling.

What in the bloody hell--? What did I just kick? Where's the bloody light?

Feeling around in the dark (and almost stumbling again over another object or two on the floor), Edward finally placed his hand on what appeared to be a table lamp lying on the bed. Ignoring for the moment why one would be located on the aforementioned furniture, he clicked it on. He looked around the ransacked room in surprise, then immediately turned pale as his eyes landed on what he had stumbled upon the first time he entered.

A small man who appeared to be a native Tahitian lay face up on the floor with what appeared to be a white hotel bath towel tied very tightly around his neck. The man was also staring up at the ceiling, his eyes and mouth wide open. Obviously, he was dead, not to mention that his face was bruised very badly.

Horrified and wondering what could've happened to the man (and if Millie was somehow involved), Edward could only stare at the apparent corpse.

The next instant, the maid, now making her rounds into the room since the door with the "Do Not Disturb" sign was now open, entered with a small cart that housed the hotel's bath towels and bed linen. She wordlessly stopped as she eyed the room, then the body, and then just as wordlessly eyed Edward, her facial expression unreadable.

EDWARD: (Tries to keep calm, gestures toward the man:) I--know you might not believe this, miss, but this man was lying on the floor already when I walked in here, and--

Edward stopped as he saw that the maid's eyes had now grown as wide as the dead Tahitian's, and that she began to back out of the room without her cart, still saying not a word, but clearly becoming agitated. Edward slowly began to move towards her, attempting to calm her, but (of course) it had the opposite effect as the maid began to scream in her Tahitian language as she turned around and ran outside into the night.

EDWARD: (Goes after her as he shoves the cart aside, begins to run:) Dammit, wait a moment! I didn't do th--COME BACK HERE, DAMN YOU! (As he pursues her into the night, his straw hat falls off onto the floor of the room. He ignores it as several lights from the other hut-like rooms nearby come on in response to the maid's screams)

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Three, somewhere in Brazil, the same time. William Appleton [a.k.a. "Preston Smith"], is lying face down on a table while speaking on his cell phone as he is being given a back massage [For his physical rehabilitation] by a beautiful Brazilian woman. Since he's also wearing nothing but a towel around his waist, one may assume that he's [ugh] naked from the waist down. The "screen" is "split" with "Miguel" and Louis", who are flying in a sparsely-crowded commercial airliner that is headed back to Brazil. Both men sit near the rear of the plane and are speaking in a very low tone of voice so as not to draw attention to themselves. "Louis" is on a cell phone, while "Miguel" is listening very closely with him)

 

WILLIAM: (Scowls:) --And he's my sister's "source", you say? Are you sure about this?

"LOUIS": That is what this "Toanui" said, sir. (Smirks wickedly:) He seemed quite convincing, since we had a gun to his head. ("Miguel" matches his smirk)

WILLIAM: This complicates things. And this "Tofu" that worked for him--

"LOUIS": --Er, "Toanui", sir--

WILLIAM: (Rolls eyes, annoyed tone:) --"Toanui" character, didn't know where my sister went?

"MIGUEL" (Snatches phone from a glaring "Louis", adds:) We are positive, sir. After Morse and that private detective Perry left, we worked him over pretty well, and he didn't change his story. The fool could've told us anything to save himself--not that it would've mattered since we were going to kill him anyway--but he did not. (Chuckles:) We did keep our word that we weren't going to shoot him, though--

"LOUIS": (Snatches phone back from "Miguel", who glares in return, in a mocking tone and smirk:) --And to think he had the nerve to lie to us about having a family, the idiot. Not that that would have mattered, either...

WILLIAM: (Nods:) I see. So it appears that my sister's "source" knows where she is, hmmm--? I'm going to have to figure out how to get the information from him, somehow. We can't risk going to the States without being identified, since the FBI will be watching for you two, and they think I'm dead. For the time being, we're going to have to put off doing anything on that front, and see if we can get to her some other way. (Narrows eyes:) And are you also sure no one saw you come out of that hotel room after you strangled him?

"LOUIS": We are sure, sir. Virtually all of the hotel's guests were on the beach. We also placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the doorknob, so the maid probably still hasn't entered. No one will find the body until tomorrow, at the earliest. We also wore gloves so as not to leave fingerprints. ("Miguel" pulls out the wad of money he took from Toanui, begins to count it. "Louis" notices, adds:) We tried to make it look like a robbery, as well. No one should suspect it was about anything else. (Snatches about half of the money from a surprised "Miguel", pockets it. "Miguel" gives him a nasty glare)

WILLIAM: (Pauses, looks off:) Yet it's possible Millie's "source" might think something's amiss. He's quite good at doing things like that... ("Louis" and "Miguel" glance at each other) All right, good work. Our following my twit of an ex-brother-in-law and this "Palmetto" fellow working for him paid off. Is there anything else that you got from this "Tony" character?

"Louis" turned pale for a brief instant in realization, totally ignoring William's second and third-time name gaffes, then surprised "Miguel" by giving the phone to him.

"MIGUEL": What is this? Why are you-- (Realizes, glares:) oh, no! If you think I'm going to tell him that, you are sorely mistaken, mi amigo! (Pushes phone back at him. "Louis" refuses to take it, and a mini-struggle ensues. Only after spotting the suddenly-concerned stewardess down the aisle looking at them do both men stop. They quickly show goofy smiles and handwaves to her. The stewardess drops an odd eyebrow at them, and turns away to help the other passengers)

WILLIAM: (Through clenched teeth, beginning to alarm the woman, who stops:) WHAT MORE DO YOU TWO IMBECILES HAVE TO TELL ME?! GET IT OUT, OR I'LL--

"MIGUEL": (Afraid, quickly adds:) --Toanui said that though he wasn't sure, he thought your sister looked--(pauses, swallows:) pregnant.

William could only stoically stare in space for a long moment as the woman reluctantly began to rub his back again. After a few moments more, he spoke again, this time in a very low and dangerous tone.

WILLIAM: Let me understand this: "Tito" told you that he thought my sister was pregnant?

"LOUIS": (Retrieves phone away from "Miguel", who gladly gives it to him:) Y-Yessir. He didn't inquire about it to her obviously, but to him it appeared that she was. (Adds:) I'm sure he was probably wr--

WIILIAM: (Sharply interrupts:) --No, I'm sure he was right. (Long pause:) Yes, this would explain my sister's behavior, wouldn't it? She's not only running away to forget White's little subterfuge, but from him, and what he did to her. Her flight also indicates that she plans to keep the baby. I suppose I can't blame her, in a way. She feels all alone, and needs a companion of a sort to keep her company while she's away from home. Hmm--knowing Millie, she probably hasn't told my ex-nephew, either, or we would've heard something from "Pigeon"...

"LOUIS": Forgive me, sir, but how do you know your sister's running away from Edward White? She could be running away from your ex-brother-in-law because he-- ("Miguel" tries to stop him by shaking his head fiercely and mouthing "No, no!", then rolls his eyes)

WILLIAM: (Interrupts again, annoyed:) --Jim Morse is a loser who could only pursue my sister to win back her affections! He couldn't have had time to get her knocked up while he was at the mansion, you fool! Besides, he couldn't get her pregnant all of those years they were married, and this wasn't any different! (Through clenched teeth:) Read my lips: The. Man. Is. A. Loser. Who. Thankfully. Could. Not. Control. My. Sister. During. Their. Marriage. And. Get. A. Baby. Out. Of. Her. (Mumbles to himself:) This is the one time I'm happy a woman didn't submit to a man...

"LOUIS": (Cowers a little with "Miguel" after a moment:) O-Of course, sir--

WILLIAM:  Good. Moving on, (Suddenly scowls, in a rage:) EDWARD WHITE IMPREGNATED MY BABY SISTER INSTEAD, AND SULLIED HER HONOR! ("Louis" and even "Miguel" wince at his voice. The woman once again draws back in fear, stops. William looks over his shoulder at her with a vicious stare:) DID I TELL YOU TO STOP?! (The woman immediately and fearfully resumes her massage. William turns back, snarls:) White was supposed to follow Bowman's order to get Bowman's precious stories about Darren's birth family for his rag, not to do-- (Disgusted look:) that! Well, he's just made the biggest mistake of his life! ("Louis" and "Miguel" glance at each other again)

"LOUIS": (Tepidly:) Sir--? What are you saying?

WILLIAM: (Dark expression:) When you two return, rest here for a few days as a reward for your hard work. Then, I want you to find White, and bring him to me so I can personally kill him dead with my bare, freaking hands! For now, my ex-nephew's off the radar screen because he's just been replaced by Edward White, who henceforth will be known as "Dead Man Walking!" (Slaps off phone. The "screen" goes to William's side)

The next instant, his cell phone rang again. William clicked it on.

WILLIAM: (Snarls:) What?! (Suddenly grows calm, slightly smiles:) Oh, sorry, "Pigeon". I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm--tense over something I was just informed about before you called. Don't worry about it. So, have you left for Baltimore, yet? (Pauses:) You're about to board your plane? Good. (Pauses, slight frown:) “Sparrow” saw you, you say? (Pauses, nods:) Yes, this’ll complicate things a little, but you’ll just have to be more careful. Keep me informed about his activities. I really appreciate your doing this for me at the last moment. "Sparrow" means well, but he's still young and headstrong, you see. The last thing we need is for him to do something stupid. I need him. (Pauses:) Good, I'm glad you understand. (Smirks:) You will be amply rewarded. Goodbye. (Snaps off phone, sighs, lays head on the table as the woman continues to massage his back)

 

                                                                                                **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Four, back at Lawndale High, in the front hallway, a few hours later. It is the end of the school day. Darren is with Jodie and Mack while waiting for Daria and Jane. All around, students are leaving)

 

JODIE: So, how'd you enjoy the day here at school, Darren? (Smirks:) Other than cutting Ms. Li down off her throne, that is...

DARREN: (Grins:) Well, the lunch period was pretty enjoyable...

MACK: (Incredulous look:) How can you say that? Between Brittany and her friends clamoring for your attention, and Joey, Jeffrey and Jamie keeping them and just about the whole student body at bay from you, Daria and Jane and us in the lunchroom, which resulted in a massive food fight, and--(Realizes, grins:) ohhhhh...

DARREN: (Nods:) Exactly. (Pauses, adds:) That and the fact that Jane sat on my lap the whole time we were there, and Daria making her wisecracking play-by-play commentaries between the flying trays of food, I'd say I had a great time.

JODIE: (Smiles:) Not to mention that not one drop of food or drink hit us, either. A miracle in itself--

MACK: (Really grins:) --And that best of all, Kevin wasn't here today! I had a vacation!

JODIE: (Mild gasp while Darren laughs:) Mack!

MACK: (Mock-sheepish look, smiles:) Sorry. I know I shouldn't be happy that Kevin's really hurt, but I really needed a break, Jodie. Kevin means well and he's a good friend, but (Shrugs:) you know, sometimes--

JODIE: (Gently pats his back, smiles:) Yeah, I know, Mack. Kevin can drive even me up the wall at times, though like you said, he's a good friend. (Giggles:) Besides, I don't think I can remember Mr. DeMartino looking so happy in class! (The others laugh)

DARREN: That reminds me--do either of you know why Kevin would suddenly attack that Barch woman? I've wondered about that. (Thought v.o.: And of being relieved that I haven't ran into her today...)

MACK: Nope. I figured Kevin finally took one lump too much to the head in practice, and went berserk.

JODIE: (Rolls eyes lightly at Mack, chuckles:) Though I don't think he'd go that far, he must have had a reason, or something.

DARREN: (Pauses, ponders:) I wonder if my sister or Jane knew what was up? I'll ask them at that pizza place after school. You two are more than welcome to come with us, if you want. We're meeting Tom Sloane there.

JODIE: Thanks, but Mack and I are going to--

MS. BARCH: (Suddenly exits from her classroom down the hallway, turns to, points at Darren:) --AHA! THERE YOU ARE! (Starts coming toward them at a fast pace)

DARREN: (Wide-eyed, turns pale:) I just knew my luck wouldn't hold out! She's come back to finish what she started! (Turns, runs away to the surprise of Jodie and Mack)

MS. BARCH: (Stunned look:) Hah? (Frowns:) HEY, COME BACK HERE! (Runs after him past Jodie and Mack, and through the some of students around them)

 

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Five, in an adjacent hallway nearby, a few minutes earlier. Daria and Jane are walking beside one another, wearing their familiar backpacks. Both are going to meet Darren)

 

DARIA: Tell me why it took so long to brush your hair and reapply your lipstick at the girl's bathroom mirror again? I was too much into being in a brain-dead state of consciousness at wondering if my sister or one of her fashion droid friends had somehow taken control of your body...

JANE: (Brief, droll look:) I'll be kind enough to tell you again, amiga. Girls sometimes doll themselves up for their boyfriends. (Smirks:) You should try it yourself for young Thomas, sometime. I did it for him on occasion, though not as much as I have for Darren.

DARIA: (Sarcastic:) Moving aside my suspicion that you just low-balled me with a subtle insult to my already stunning beauty, why in the hell should I change my appearance to please Tom? He likes me just the way I am.

JANE: (Grins:) You just keep telling yourself that, Daria--

DARIA: I'd rather tell you, Jane. (Pauses, looks off for a brief instant:) Um--do you really think--(Shakes head:) never mind, forget my momentary lapse into stupidity--

JANE: (Stops. After a moment, Daria does the same) --Ah-ah. You have the right like everyone else to have an momentary lapse into stupidity--(Pauses, adds with a smirk:) on occasion, that is. We don't want you to turn into another Brittany or Kevin, do we? (Daria rolls her eyes) Out with it, Morgendorffer.

DARIA: (Pained look, glances around for a brief instant, low voice:) Jane--look, do you really think I'm--(Pauses:) too plain-looking for Tom?

JANE: (Shocked expression:) What?! Where’d that come from? (Chuckles:) I was just joking, Daria! You look great as you are! (Notices Daria's still-pained look, becomes concerned:) Why would you ask me that? (Cocked eyebrow:) Did Tom say or hint at something--?

DARIA: (Surprised expression:) What? No! It's just that-- (Pauses, hesitates:) well, you told me the other day that you and my brother are becoming more--(Pauses:) um, serious in your relationship, right?

JANE: Yeah. (Waits for Daria's response, nudges, adds:) Annnd--?

DARIA: (Sighs:) And it got me into thinking about Tom and mine's relationship. I mean he's been really good to me like Darren's been to you, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if we have--(Hesitates)

JANE: Havvvve...?

DARIA: (Smirks:) Keep slurring your words like that, and I'll think you just had a stroke, Jane.

JANE: (Smirks back:) Keep beating around the bush, Daria, and I probably will have one from waiting for you to get it out.

DARIA: Okay, okay. The word I'm looking for is the "fire" like you and my brother have. You two seem to really have your act together, while Tom and I are still looking to find our groove. (Frowns:) Dammit. I think I'm sounding like my parents...

JANE: (Laughs:) Only if you marry Tom and have the kids can you say that! (Daria gives her a light glare. Jane turns serious:) Really, Daria, Darren and I work at enjoying one another's company, and I make doubly sure I do when I visit him, thanks to Krystal's presence. Even though I'm sure that he doesn't like her any more than just as a "sister", we know that there's more to Krystal than meets the eye when it comes to your brother. In a way, I'd like to think that she's giving me an incentive to make it work with Darren.

DARIA: Mm. (Adds:) So do you think I should look for an "incentive" to work with Tom more on our relationship?

JANE: (Shrugs:) I dunno, Daria. Have there been any girls ogling Tom like some have Darren?

DARIA: Not unless you count the mysteriously vanished Sesame, no.

JANE: Then it looks like you'll have to make a go at it a little more than you think you have. (Realizes:) Kind to think of it, we haven't talked much about what you two do on dates. I'm either off to see Darren every other weekend, or we're in school talking about surviving. (Pauses:) Didn't you say once you guys occasionally go out to local bookstores?

DARIA: Yeah, and sometimes to the park, you know, to just sit on the bench and wisecrack as we watch the people, mostly morons and idiots, walk by. (Adds:) Oh, and we also go into a drugstore or two to read those ridiculous greeting cards, or go to either my place or his place and sit on the couch and watch TV, braving our parent's nose-butting.

JANE: (Pauses, stares:) Daria...that's just...pathetic.

DARIA: (Cocked eyebrow:) Excuse me? What do you mean, "pathetic"?

JANE: (Shakes head, holds arms out:) Daria, you gotta do more interesting things together than that with Tom to get the fire! Heck, even when I was with Tom, we went out to the movies, dancing, to a restaurant, (Quickly adds to Daria's smirk:) not just the Pizza King--

DARIA: --Of which I knew about when I wasn't with you two, if you'll recall. You practically shoved it into my unwilling ears--

JANE: (Nods:) --Exactly! What Tom and I had were real dates, Daria, and Darren and I do even more of it when I visit there. In fact, I'm surprised Tom hasn't tried to get you to go out to any of those places.

DARIA: (Mildly embarrassed look:) Well, he brought up going to eat out at his family's country club the last time you were visiting Darren's, so I went.

JANE: (Smiles:) Ah! And--?

DARIA: (Small smile:) It was--nice. The dinner was pretty tasty, and we talked about books and art films.

JANE: Well, then, there you have it!

DARIA: (Small frown in realization:) No, it's not. We didn't talk about each other, just over the things we liked. Granted, that's part of getting to know each other, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking for something more in a relationship. I'm just not as experienced in this as you guys.

JANE: Which means you gotta gain it. Tom's not pushing you, is he?

DARIA: No, he's not. In fact, he's been a very patient sort of gentleman, which shouldn't be surprising, since I saw it first hand when he was with you.

JANE: And now I have the same thing with Darren. Amiga, we've been really lucky.

DARIA: (Lower, hopeful voice:) I hope our luck holds out, then--yours with Darren despite Krystal, and mine's with Tom, despite myself.

JANE: (In her "Deloris" voice:) We'll make sure of it, kid. (Resumes walk with Daria:) Lightening the mood, what did you think of Upchuck's reaction to our telling him about what that ass Rory McKinna did to that Dora girl in gym class?

DARIA: (Smirks:) I thought he was gonna crap in his pants. I don't know if it'll change his attitude toward women, but at least it'll screw with his thoughts for awhile--

Just as the two were about to turn into the hall where Darren had agreed to wait for them, both girls were stopped by a blur. It was headed for a set of double doors that lead to the outside of the school nearest the parking lot. Before either could manage to get their bearings, a second blur followed the first one, also going through the doors.

JANE: (Wide-eyed:) Was that--

DARIA: (Narrowed eyes, interrupts:) --It was. Both of them. Come on. (Both run around the corner after the blurs. Several other students, including Mack and Jodie, follow them a few seconds later from the direction of the blurs)

 

                                                                                               **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Six, the same time, in the taxicab that Tina's been riding in all day. It's headed for Lawndale High. Tina's in the backseat on her cellphone talking with Elenor via "splitscreen")

 

TINA: --And it's been pretty much of a bore, Elenor, save for what I suspected happened with Krystal and that guy outside of the "Zen" place. The school Darren's girlfriend and sisters are attending is the last stop I'm going to make, then I'm outta here. I was planning to stay another day or something, but I can see that it's not necessary. Lawndale may be bigger than Maness, but I think it's even more dead as a town.

ELENOR: (Slightly smirks:) If I didn't know any better Tina, I'd think you were almost disappointed not to have run into any excitement.

TINA: (Grins:) You know me too well, Elenor.

ELENOR: (Relieved tone, smiles:) Still, that's quite a relief to me that you didn't find anything out of the ordinary. (Adds:) And you say no one saw you that had visited the mansion at all?

TINA: (Shakes head slowly while looking out of the window:) Nope, though other than Krystal and Trent, I did see Helen and Jake Morgendorffer come out of a place called "Gary's Gallery" with a wrapped up package that looked like a canvas of a painting, while my cab went by. I'm sure they didn't see me. (Quickly adds, realizes:) Oh, and I saw Stacy Rowe coming out of the local mall here with a bag of clothes from a Cashman's store, I think. She didn't notice me, either. In fact, she looked really happy about something, almost zoned out. (Pauses, slight frown:) Hm. Shouldn't she have been in school...?

ELENOR: (Pauses:) I still don't understand why you didn't simply rent a car to do your little reconnaissance, as opposed to paying a taxi driver for the entire day...

TINA: (Sighs as she notices they're coming to the school:) As I told you before, Elenor, people are going to be less likely to suspect a taxi than a car with someone in it, and--(Cocked eyebrow, sits up, alarmed as she glances out the side window:) what the--?

ELENOR: (Concerned look, now:) What? Tina, what is it?! (From behind, Claude comes up with a curious look)

TINA: (Rushed tone, frowns as she keeps her eyes focused while looking out:) No time to talk, Elenor! I'll get back to you! (The "screen" goes to Tina's side. Snaps off the phone, throws it aside, slaps the rear of the seat the driver's in:) Stop the cab here, dammit, NOW! Keep the meter running! (The driver immediately complies. Tina gets out, runs toward the school)

From Tina's perspective, Darren was in trouble. He looked wide-eyed and pale as he was apparently running from a middle-aged, masculine-looking woman in hot pursuit. The woman looked clearly annoyed, though she didn't appear to have a weapon. Tina also immediately noticed a small crowd of students, including Daria and Jane, running after them. Wondering whatever caused the woman to chase Darren, as well as to why he hadn't defended himself, would have to wait for now. Screw blowing her cover. He had to be protected, as was her job.

I wasn't here the last time you were, Darren, but I will be this time! I promised your folks that I'd protect you after they died, and that's exactly what I intend to do! You're dead meat, you bitch!

Tina was so focused on protecting Darren, she also didn't notice the gaggle of reporters in the parking lot--and neither did Darren apparently, who barreled past them. As he ran by, Tina ran opposite him in the other direction. Darren eyed her for a brief instant, ignored her, then suddenly did a double-take as he stopped and turned.

DARREN: (Wide-eyed:) TINA?!

DARIA & JANE: (Stops with the other students. Both are wide-eyed as well:) TINA?!

Tina ignored everyone as she stepped between Ms. Barch and Darren, assuming a defensive judo stance and a "Bring It On, Bitch!" expression. Ms. Barch, for her part, stopped, eyed Tina, then did the same, on both counts. Both circled each other as the cameras started rolling, and the reporters started reporting. Students began shouting encouragement and calls of "Wooo-wooo!", and "Cat fight!". Other students began coming up as well, doing the same. Daria and Jane made their way over to a stunned Darren.

DARIA: (Smirks:) I call dibs on Tina. Twenty bucks says she'll cold-cock Ms. Barch.

JANE: (Ditto:) Not fair, Daria, but I'll take that bet. I think Ms. Barch will get in a lick or two, at least. (Grins, cuts eyes to the side:) Darren--?

Darren sighed, gave his sister and girlfriend a mild glare, then pushed his way through the crowd to Tina and Ms. Barch.

DARREN: (Waves arms:) Stop it, Tina! Stand down!

TINA: But this woman's trying to attack you, Darren!

MS. BARCH: (Frowns:) What are you talking about, missy? You're going to attack me!

DARREN: No one's attacking anybody! (A great "Awww!" goes through the crowd) It's just a misunderstanding, that's all! (Glances back at Ms. Barch, mild, terrified expression:) Uh, right--?

MS. BARCH: Of course it's just a misunderstanding! Why'd you run?

DARREN: (Pauses, awkward expression:) Well, uh, I thought you going to fin--uh, never mind...

MS. BARCH: All I wanted to do was to thank you for choosing that "Constance Waters" woman as the head of your family's company! I wanted to speak to you earlier, but I couldn't get to you until school ended! (Frowns, looks off:) It's about time more women get the opportunity to run the corporate show, as opposed to those men, with their eye-candy secretaries who do the real work to cover their boss’s asses!

MALE STUDENT: (Stunned, points:) S-She's thanking a guy for doing something good? (Faints along with several other males in shock, including Mack, Joey, Jeffrey, and Jamie. Jodie rolls her eyes with several other female students)

MS. BARCH: (Notices, frowns:) Hah! Damn male wussies! Figures!

DARIA: (Sarcastic:) And that's our miracle for today.

JANE: I thought it was when the mystery meat or any other food didn't hit us in the cafeteria during the food fight.

DARIA: You're right. Addendum: second miracle for today.

Ms. Li forced her way through the crowd, frowning.

MS. LI: Just whaaaat in the hell is going on here?! I call a press conference to announce new funding from Darren Appleton for LLLLLLLawndale High, and I arrive to find thiiiiis?

FEMALE REPORTER: (Rolls eyes:) That might be your opinion, Ms. Li, but we're gonna ask questions about Darren Appleton being exonerated over James Bowman's death by the FBI! They just announced it a few minutes ago in Washington! (A few other reporters shout "Yeah!" in agreement. Ms. Li stares at them as if they've grown a second head)

DARREN: (Sighs, holds hands up:) Fine, fine! I'll answer any and all questions about that, but give me a moment, all right? (Turns to Tina, narrows an eye, in a very low, stern voice:) We're going to talk about this later. (Daria and Jane glance at each other wordlessly)

TINA: (Stares for a moment, in the same low voice:) All right. (Pauses, adds in a half-serious tone:) Should I make out my résumé?

DARREN: (Gives her a droll expression:) Funny. Look, just go back to the mansion, all right? I can take care of myself. I'm a big boy, now.

TINA: (Looks off:) Actually, uh, I'm still on vacation, you know. I might not want to go back just yet...

DARREN: (In a soft, gruff voice, mild scowl, walks by her:) Fine. Whatever. Do what you want. I've got questions to address.

Daria and Jane came beside Tina while Darren was speaking to the press alongside Ms. Li.

DARIA: (Reluctantly:) Um, hi, Tina.

JANE: (Ditto:) Yeah, yo.

TINA: (Actually shows a sheepish look, for her:) Hey, guys. Guess I made myself look like an idiot, huh?

JANE: (Waves her off, smiles:) Ahh, you thought that woman, (Adds:) her name’s Janet Barch, by the way, Daria’s science teacher, was going to fight him. Hell, that's what we thought, too.

DARIA: Jane's right, don't sweat it. (Pauses, realizes:) Why are you here, or is that too obvious a question?

TINA: (Small smirk:) Too obvious, Daria. (Shrugs:) I really wanted to do a quick little secret reconnoiter of your town, then slip out without no one knowing I was here.

DARIA: (Crosses arms:) Right. The same time Darren happens to be visiting, by the way.

JANE: (Nods:) Seems to be quite the coincidence, too. (Adds:) On your vacation. (Tina cocks an eyebrow:) Darren told us you were going on one, or so he thought.

TINA: (Sighs:) Sharp gals. No surprise there. Yeah, I was going to keep an eye on Darren, but from afar. I really was planning to slip out of town, though. I just wanted to look around, you know, scope out the place.

DARIA: Where are you staying?

TINA: At the same place Darren was at when he first came here, the Stopover Motel.

JANE: (Pauses, realizes:) Uh, you said that you might not want to go back, yet--?

TINA: Yeah, I'm reconsidering it. Since Darren knows that I'm here now, I might as well stay another day, and make sure everything's okay. I can also try to explain why I did what I did for him here instead of waiting for him to discuss it at the mansion.

DARIA: Do you think that's wise? Darren seemed to be really pissed at seeing you here.

TINA: (Shrugs:) Then he's just going to have to be really pissed, I guess. Look, I'll be frank with you two: I was out of position the last time Darren was here, being distracted and tricked by that ass, William. I was also out of position when Darren's parents were killed in the plane crash. (Frowns:) There's no damn way I'm going to be out of position if something else suddenly springs up here to threaten him--or any of you, for that matter. (Daria and Jane glance at each other) Yes, I'm being a mother hen, but that's my job: Protecting. I know Darren can take care of himself, but seeing him only reminds me of the pain of attending his parent's funeral, and knowing that I failed them.

DARIA: (In a soft tone:) Forgive me for being so forward Tina, but it sounds like you're kinda punishing yourself for events that weren't in your control. You couldn't have known what William Appleton was going to do on either occasion.

TINA: (Small smile:) Maybe, Daria, but I should’ve suspected something. (Looks off, narrows eyes:) William's dead now, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any other threats out there...

JANE: If it'll make you feel any better, we can put in a good word for you to Darren. (Daria nods in agreement)

TINA: (Holds hand up, smirks:) No, that's okay, Jane. Thanks, but Darren and I have had disagreements before in the past, and this one's not that much different. I'll just have to stand up for myself. Look, I have to go. I'll call you guys later--(Turns, begins to leave)

Ms. Barch suddenly appeared from the side, interrupting Tina, who gave her a weary look.

MS. BARCH: (Crafty expression:) So, you're the woman who tried to defend Darren Appleton, eh?

TINA: Uh, yes. I'm his head bodyguard, Tina Rollins. Jane told me your name’s Janet Barch, and you’re Daria’s science teacher. (Reluctantly holds out hand, which Ms. Barch shakes with surprising vigor. Glances at Daria and Jane:) I followed Darren down here to sneak a look around your town-- (Hesitates:) and to keep an eye out on him. Look, I'm really sorry about--

MS. BARCH: (Chuckles, holds up hand, interrupts:) --Ahhh, don't worry about it, sweetie! Nobody got hurt! (Adds, impressed tone:) And you say you're his head bodyguard?

TINA: Yes. I head a force that numbers around 20 to 25 people on the grounds of his mansion, and if necessary, more.

MS. BARCH: (Grins:) You go, girl! (Ponders, turns to Jane:) Well, I guess that's something else I'll have to reconsider about your boyfriend, Jane. He knows how to hire strong women to take care of things, and put them at the head, where they belong!

TINA: (Uncomfortable look:) Uh, thanks--?

MS. BARCH: That was a pretty good defensive move you put up, dear.

TINA: Thanks. You weren't so bad yourself. Judo, right?

MS. BARCH: (Grins:) Yep. The same for you, too? (Tina nods) What other martial arts do you know?

TINA: Well, a mixture of several arts, such as taekwondo, savate, and capoeira in the kicking category, shuai jiao, jujutsu, judo, aikido, naban in the grapling and throwing category, and karate, wing chun and krav maga in the striking category. I also know about using a little weaponry in the kendo, bojutsu, iaido, and gatka styles.

MS. BARCH: (Wide-eyed while Jane whistles. Daria remains impassive) Damn! You sure do know your fighting styles, honey! Tell you what: How about joining me for my "Take Back the Night" seminar tonight? (Frowns, snarls:) You can show off some of your moves to the female students who want to defend themselves against those testosterone-filled animals we call men in the event they suddenly develop eight arms and hands on their dates!

TINA: (Taken aback:) Um, well--

MS. BARCH: What, you've got something else to do tonight?

TINA: (Pauses, ponders, then sighs:) No, not really, when I think about it...

MS. BARCH: Where are you staying in town?

TINA: At a place called the Stopover Motel. (Adds:) Uh, room 206.

MS. BARCH: (Brightens:) I know where that is! It's a date then, dear! I'll pick up Skinny, and we'll both pick you up around 7:00! We can all hang out afterwards! See you then! (Walks off before Tina can say another word)

TINA: (Weary look as she watches Ms. Barch:) I've been drafted. Oh well, I guess I should try to make it up to her. (Turns to Daria and Jane, cocked eyebrow:) "Skinny?"

DARIA: Her boyfriend, Timothy O'Neill, who also happens to be our English teacher--

JANE: --And the ultimate wuss, by and far. She pretty much runs the show, if you know what I mean.

TINA: (Looks back at Ms. Barch, chuckles:) Do tell. I almost feel sorry for the guy. Well, I'd better go and get ready for tonight. I'd better call Elenor back. She's probably had a conniption by now, wondering what happened. (To Daria and Jane's curious expression, smiles:) Yeah, she's in on this, though Darren doesn't know it yet. Let me tell him, okay? See you two later. (Leaves, gets in cab, which drives off)

DARIA: (As she and Jane watch the cab:) I wonder if Tina will be able to stand the she-wolf and the lamb during tonight's meeting in the meadow with the other sheep?

JANE: (Smiles:) You know, something tells me she'll probably end up as the shepherd when she demonstrates what she knows, amiga. C'mon, let's wait for Darren... (Both go to Darren, who's speaking with a ridiculous amount of  microphones in his face)

 

 

                                                                                                **********

 

(Scene Thirty-Seven, the Pizza King, about an hour later. Daria's sitting on one side of a booth with Tom Sloane, while Jane and Darren are sitting across from them. Three pans of large pizza, mostly eaten, and soda cups litter the table, which is covered with a checkered-colored red and white tablecloth, a “new addition” to the eatery. Darren has his forehead on the edge of the table as Daria smirks, and Jane and Tom laugh)

 

DARREN: I can't believe you guys told that to Kevin...

JANE: (Pats his back, smirks:) He was asking for it, "Darry", practically begging to be tricked. (Darren sits up, gives her a mock-glare. Jane shrugs:) Hey, we tried to tell him five times previously that there was no invisibility formula, but the poor lad had it in his super-thick head that there was!

DARIA: (While finishing a slice:) Look at it this way, bro--Kevin has to experience being burned at the stove by touching it over and over again. Only when he goes into the hospital with third degree burns does it register to him that the stove was hot. It's sad, yes, but that's Kevin for you. After Ms. Barch's pummeling, the point's driven home to him that there's no formula.

DARREN: Still, I wish you would've told him to speak to me, or something, so I could've tried to reason with him. It's obvious that he has some (Pauses, looks for word:) "issues"--

TOM: --Magazines have "issues", Darren. With Thompson, it's a quarterly or bi-monthly descent into occasional intelligence--

JANE: (Chuckles:) --And that's hit or miss at best. (Sees Darren's still down, turns serious:) Look, if you wanna, we can visit him at his place. I heard he got out of the hospital last night, and won't be able to come back to school until Monday.

DARIA: (Sarcastic, flat tone:) Mr. DeMartino will be ecstatic over this. More smiles for everyone in his class.

DARREN: (Slowly nods, ignores Daria's crack:) I'd like that, Jane. I really feel sorry for him. We can go tomorrow after you get out from school for the weekend.

DARIA: (Cocked eyebrow:) Don't tell me you're thinking about giving him some money or something, Darren?

DARREN: Actually, you two should consider yourselves lucky that he didn't try to file a lawsuit.

JANE: (Surprised expression:) What?!

DARIA: (Slight frown:) You're kidding. (Drinks soda)

TOM: No, I think Darren has a point, Daria. It's entirely possible Kevin could've blamed you and Jane for his beating at the hands of Ms. Barch, and have taken you two to court, though he more than likely would've been laughed out of the courtroom. Something similarly stupid happened to my dad and his partners a few years back. A client actually blamed him and the firm for giving him the right advice about selling a stock. The client lost around $200,000 for not selling eventually, and tried to sue for "Embarrassment and Personal Humiliation" at the hands of my dad's firm. Needless to say, the case was immediately dismissed. People sue for the most mundane things these days.

JANE: Okay, you've made your point, though in Kevin's case, I don't think we have to worry because he believes he signed a "contract" that states Darren wouldn't have been responsible if the "formula" failed.

DARREN: (Wide-eyed:) Contract?

DARIA: (Sighs:) Relax, Darren. It wasn't real, just that Kevin believes that it was, which helps us. Look, I agree with Jane that you guys have a point, but that doesn't excuse Kevin's naivety.

DARREN: No one's doing that, sis, and you're right, but with people like Kevin, well--Mack and Jodie said he's okay in his own way as a good friend, so he can't be all that bad, right?

DARIA: (After a moment, more conciliatory tone as she glances at Jane, who slowly nods:) Well, I suppose we should be kind to dumb jocks when we have the chance. We'll visit him just before we go to Brittany's party, how's that?

DARREN: (Nods:) Good. While you guys are in school, I'll be playing with Jake and Mr. Sloane in the morning for golf, then I'll visit Helen's firm with her in the early afternoon. I can get everything done before then.

TOM: Sorry, but can we back up a tad? I thought I heard something about a "Party" at Brittany's?

DARIA: Yeah, it's part of our "recomprehension" fee to Brittany for Kevin's bodily beating at Barch's hands. (To Tom's confused frown:) Don't ask, it's Brittany we're talking about, here. (Pauses:) Ask her. Are you game?

TOM: Sure. It'll be nice to witness pointless, full-scale high school hobnobbing. I'm in.

DARREN: (Realizes:) So that's why you twisted my arm to go to the party, huh, Jane?

JANE: (Sheepish smile:) It'll be--fun--? (Darren sighs. Jane flashes her eyelashes, gives a "puppy dog" look:) Pleeease? You're not gonna change your mind, are you?

DARREN: (Narrows eyes:) It'll serve you and Daria right that I not go, but in the best interests of keeping Brittany's "recomprehension" fee, I'll do it. I gave my word, after all.

JANE: (Big grin:) Oh, you darling boy, you! (Slides over, grabs him around the neck, kisses him madly. Darren seems to cave in by kissing her in return)

DARIA: (Stares at them for an instant, frowns ever-so-slightly, turns to Tom:) It looks like those two are lost in the moment. So, what do we do while they find their way back?

TOM: We can always play what I call "pepperoni chess" with the leftover pieces. Here, you take the broken crusts, and I’ll take the pepperoni. We’ll use the checkered tablecloth for the board.

DARIA: (Sighs, small eye roll, thought v.o. Hoo boy. That's something else that's lacking between us-- romantic spontaneity:) Never mind. (Picks at food on table)

TOM: (Pauses: cocks eyebrow:) Is--something wrong, Daria?

DARIA: (Cuts eyes over to him:) Wrong? (Appears to want to say something else, but doesn't:) Um, no, just that I’m full of pizza and soda, and harboring a craving for some antacid to wash it down… (Glances at Jane and Darren still kissing, thought v.o.: And I'm showing the signs of envy, it seems…)

TOM: (After a moment:) Um, okay... (Fiddles with a piece of crust)

Jane and Darren finally broke their kiss.

JANE: (Glances at her watch:) Now that kissyface time is over, maybe we should make tracks. I'm sure Trent and his girlfriend are back at Casa Lane by now--

DARREN: (Cocks eyebrow:) Oh, you mean that girl Krystal, right?

JANE: (Pretends to ponder, looks up, then snaps her fingers:) Oh yeah, that's her name! (In an "Old Woman" voice, points to her head:) This girl's gettin' older everyday, with my memory goin' and all...

DARREN: (Sighs, gently admonishes:) Jane--

JANE: (Holds hands up, smiles:) --Kidding! I'm used to those two being together, okay? (Thought v.o.: Though I don't have to like it...)

DARREN: (Pauses, smirks:) I'm glad you feel that way. I called Krystal before I met you and Daria in the cafeteria for lunch. She wants to fix breakfast for us tomorrow morning before you guys go to school. You and Trent are invited over to dine with us.

JANE: (Forced smile:) No problemo! Trent and I will be there bright and early! He's getting up earlier these days, like I told Daria. (Thought v.o.: At least if she spits in the food, I won't be the only person who swallows it--unless she specifically sets mine and Daria's plate aside to do it, that is...)

DARREN: Daria--?

DARIA: I live there, you know. I have no choice.

DARREN: (Grins:) Just checking. Tom, you can come, too. It'll be tight, but we can squeeze you in.

TOM: (Smiles:) Thanks, but I want elbow room at my table at home for when Elsie and I start our own little customary food fight. (Adds:) Oh, that reminds me, Darren: Would if be a problem if Elsie comes along with my dad when he meets you and Mr. Morgendorffer for golf tomorrow? (Daria and Jane look surprised) She can swing a mean club as well, (Smug look:) though she's never beaten me... (Blows on his hands)

DARIA: Except at modesty.

TOM: (Big grin:) Or so she wishes.

DARREN: (Chuckles with Jane, shrugs:) Sure.

TOM: Thanks. She really wanted to meet you. (Grins at Jane:) Don't worry, Jane, she's not moving in on your territory, she promised me.

JANE: (Smirks:) Yet another female admirer for you, "Darry". (Teases, wry look:) Be sure to behave yourself while I'm in school.

DARREN: (Smirks in return:) With Jake and Mr. Sloane there? I'll have no choice. I'll be the perfect gentleman.

DARIA: What made Elsie want to come I wonder, you know, other than meeting and drooling at Darren? (Darren snorts softly. Jane playfully hits his shoulder)

TOM: (Pointedly, to Daria:) I owed her a--"favor", and she called me on it when she found out that your brother was playing golf with our dads. Elsie's school coincidentally is closed tomorrow for a teacher workday, by the way.

DARIA: "Favor"--? (Realizes, recalls when Elsie called Tom about Sesame looking for him while he visited Darren's:) Ohhh, yeah, that favor.

JANE: (Glances at Darren, and vice-versa:) Mind letting us in on this "favor"?

DARIA: Later, though it's something siblings do for each other on occasion when blackmail's not on the table. I'm sure you and Trent are familiar with it. (Quickly changes the subject, adds with a smirk:) Now, don't you have some money to pay out for these pizzas, Jane?

JANE: (Mock-glares:) You just had to bring that up, didn't you? (Sighs, reaches into her backpack:) Oh well, time to pay the piper, or for the pizza, that is-- (Rummages in her backpack, frowns:) dammit, what the hell--?

DARREN: (Frowns, concerned:) What? What is it?

JANE: (Continues to look in her backpack:) My wallet's not in here! Where could I have left--(Realizes:) oh, crap! I must've left it in my locker at school when I took it out to put my homework books in the pack!

DARIA: (Shows a mock-dubious look, smirks:) Sure you didn't "accidently" forget the wallet to get out of paying, Jane? (Darren and Tom chuckle)

JANE: (Mild glare:) Funny, Morgendorffer. (Leans back, looks up:) AARGH! And school's closed 'till tomorrow! We can't get back in!

DARREN: Relax, Jane, I'll pay for everything--(Begins to reach for his wallet in his back pocket)

JANE: (Narrows eyes:) Okay, but I really wanna pay you back as soon as possible, okay? (In a softer voice:) I'm serious, Darren. I earned my cash, and wanna share the wealth every once in awhile with my friends, you know--?

DARREN: (As he pulls out his wallet:) No problem. You told me you wanted to treat, and I told you it was okay. You can pay me back as soon as you get your wallet--(Opens wallet, frowns:) you have got to be kidding me...

DARIA: Wait. Don't tell me that you of all people are running high and dry?

DARREN: (Flips wallet over. Nothing but a quarter comes out. Darren rolls his eyes:) I must've spent about all I had when I got groceries late last night, and forgot to get some more out of the ATM machine! I spent the rest getting a school lunch with you guys!

JANE: (Narrows eyes:) But you can use your credit cards, right?

DARREN: (Sheepish look, shows his wallet again, which has no cards:) Well, uh, no. I left my credit cards in my room at the house. I figured I wouldn't need them at your school. Sorry.

DARIA: Well, this is turning out to be quite interesting. Tom, you're not gonna tell me that you left your money at home, are you?

TOM: (Turns pale:) Oh, uh, I'm afraid I have no choice but to tell you, Daria. I figured that since Jane was paying, I didn't need to bring any money. As for credit cards, I'm really trying to keep from being tempted to buy that new life I've been craving for since childhood by using it. (Daria rolls her eyes while Jane and Darren smile) Sorry.

JANE: (Rubs forehead, now chuckles nervously:) Now, isn't this just freakin' great? You two could buy the whole damn county and half the state combined, yet you guys don't have more than a quarter between the two of you at the moment! It's irony in spades!

DARIA: That, and it's a comedy to boot. (Pauses:) So why aren't we laughing?

DARREN: (Slight smile:) It is humourous, sis. Relax. (Begins to slide out of the booth:) I'll just ask the manager if I can leave and get my mon-- (Eyes outside the restaurant, frowns:) oh, wonderful.

JANE: (Follows his stare with Daria and Tom:) What--oh. Local news cars and video vans parked on the street? They followed us here! You gave them their story, and they still want more? The bastards! (Realizes:) You don't think they'd try to embarrass you by reporting that you ran out of money, do you?

DARREN:  (Still glancing out:) I don't think, I know. (Resigned look:) Well, I'll have to face the music, I suppose-- (Begins to leave)

TOM: (Slips out, stands:) You don't have to go through that crowd outside, Darren. I'll leave, and--

DARIA: (Sighs:) --That won't be necessary, Tom. I'll pay for everything, and Jane can pay me back. (Narrows an eye at Jane:) Unfortunately, like Tom, I figured Jane would be footing the bill, so I didn't dip into my money stash, or go to an ATM myself like Darren. I might as well break it in, and I did promise myself I'd use it if I had to buy a pizza.... (Begins to reach in her skirt pocket)

JANE: (Raised eyebrows, realizes:) Wait. You're not gonna use what I think you're gonna use?

DARREN: (Confused, looks between them:) What--? (Dawns on him:) Ahh. They do accept it here, though ironically I haven't used mine, yet.

TOM: (Eyes the Northolt card Daria removes from her pocket, whistles as he sits back down:) Even I have to be impressed, Daria. (Grins:) My parents have been riding me for the past few months to get one, but as I've said--

DARIA: (Smoothly interrupts, sarcastic:) --Yeah, yeah, the new life and all that jazz. Give it a rest, crybaby...

Everyone left the booth and went to the front counter, where Artie was standing at the cash register. Daria gave her card and receipt to him. Artie did a double-take when he eyed the card, wide-eyed.

ARTIE: WOW! IS THIS A NORTHOLT CARD?! (Virtually the entire places grows silent, looks at them)

DARIA: (Alarmed expression, glances around:) Um, Artie, I'd really appreciate it if the county next door doesn't hear you--

ARTIE: (Ignores her, continues to stare at the card:) --I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE! IT'S LIKE SEEING A NEW ALIEN SPACECRAFT! (Turns before Daria can grab it, waves it to the rear:) HEY, MR. MOORE, GUYS, LOOK AT THIS! A NORTHOLT CARD!

All the employees and the owner Mr. Moore immediately came out from the rear to look at the card, awed. The next instant, the customers rose >from their seats and came over to view it as well. Daria glared at Jane, who like Darren and Tom, were trying not to laugh at the scene.

DARIA: I will take many, many years to torture you before I kill you, Jane--(Glares also at Darren and Tom:) and that goes for your cohorts as well. (Hard sigh:) The people in this town definitely need to get a life, or I will. (Jane and the others finally laugh)

Jane was about to playfully retort when she noticed Sandi and Tiffany coming through the front door. They stopped and noticed the crowd while Jane came over with Darren and Tom.

In the meantime, Daria was finally able to use her card, after snatching it from Artie. She gave Artie a glare to end all glares, which he blissfully ignored while carefully running the card through the credit machine. The other customers returned to their seats, talking.

After exchanging greetings with the three, Sandi spoke.

SANDI: (Cocked eyebrow, looks between them all:) So, like, what happened here? What's with the crowd? Did we miss out on something?

TIFFANY: Yeah...was somebody...wearing a...new style...?

JANE: (Smirks:) More like breaking in a new card--

TOM: (Ditto:) --Or a breaking in a new way of humiliation, take your pick.

DARREN: (Mock-admonishes, grins:) And that'll be enough out of you two for today. (Waves her off:) It wasn't anything much, Sandi, really.

DARIA: (Comes over:) Hey, Sandi, Tiffany. (Looks around:) Where's Quinn? Did you guys finish your "fashion stuff" already, or will you resume the clothes debate?

SANDI: (Drops an eyebrow:) What are you talking about, Daria? We haven't seen Quinn since our last period in school. She said she had to do some personal stuff, or whatever. (Tiffany wordlessly nods in agreement. Sandi looks off, narrows eyes:) Hmm. Now that I think of it, Quinn seemed distracted for some reason... (Daria and Darren look at each other)

 

 

                                                                                                **********

 

 

(Scene Thirty-Eight, at Lawndale State University)

 

Quinn slumped in despair as she eyed David Sorenson kissing a college girl from some nearby bushes. Taking care not to be seen, she quietly left the couple alone, suppressing tears until she was well away from them.