Quality Time and a Half

The living room of the Morgendorffer house. Jake and Helen are sitting on the sofa. Helen is holding an envelope.

Quinn enters the room

Quinn

Hi Mom, Hi Dad.

Helen

Quinn honey, Could you come here a minute we want to talk with you.

Quinn

Okay but could you make it quick. I’m expecting an important call.

Jake

This won’t take long. We have some exciting news we want to share.

Helen

Calls out

Daria could you come here please?

Daria enters from the kitchen. She sees them looking at her.

Daria

What’s wrong?

Helen

Nothing dear. Just sit down.

Daria sits in the chair next to Quinn.

Jake

Helen received a letter this morning from a Ms. Barch.

Daria

Ms. Barch wrote you a letter?

Jake

Not me just your mother.

Daria

What does she want?

Helen

Apparently next Wednesday is Lawndale High’s “Take Your Daughter to Work Day.” She thinks it would be great if you girls went to work with me that day.

Daria

Quinn and me? Together all day? Forget it. I’ll go to school.

Quinn

I’m with Daria here.

Helen

Actually we thought it would be good if one of you went with Jake and the other went with me.

Daria

Assuming we choose to participate.

Helen

This time the choice isn’t yours. You WILL be participating.

Daria and Quinn make glancing looks at each other. Then look back at Jake and Helen.

Quinn

Well then who’s going with who?

Jake

We decided you would be coming with me and Daria can go with your mother.

Quinn

Sounds great to me.

Daria

Yea. Great.

Daria and Jane are at the Pizza King sharing a pizza.

Daria

I thought this stuff was just for 4th and 5th graders. When did it move to high school?

Jane

Ms. Barch forced Ms. Li into starting the program for the higher grades. In her words, “it’s important to give young women every advantage possible in order to beat men at their own game.”

Daria

Have you ever participated?

Jane

Last year. Mom needed help replacing some elements in her kiln so she kept me home. It was just a coincidence that it turned out to be the same day.

Daria

What are the odds? Are you going to do it this year?

Jane

Can't. Mom’s at a ceramics intensive.

Daria

You could go with your dad.

Jane

No chance there. First he’d have to have a real job plus he's still out of the country trying to visit Penny.

Daria

Any luck yet?

Jane

He has it narrowed it down to Honduras or Venezuela. He should only be a few more weeks.

Jodie walks up.

Jodie

Hi Daria, Hi Jane. What’s going on?

Jane

We're just discussing the pros and cons of next Wednesday.

Jodie

Looking at Jane.

Are you gonna participate?

Jane

Nope. But Daria is.

Jodie

You!?

Daria

I have no choice. What about you. Are you going to work with your dad?

Jodie

I can’t. I don’t meet Dad’s requirements.

Daria

What do you mean?

Jodie

Bitter.

I'm not Evan.

At the next booth, Quinn and the rest of the Fashion Club are occupied with not eating the pizza they ordered.

Tiffany

So your parents are making you do this too? Bummer.

Sandi

Don’t be so negative. Don’t think of this a day with your parents. Look at it as an opportunity to research the world of business fashion.

Tiffany

Yea but you get to go to the TV station and Quinn gets to go to an office. I don’t even know what my dad does.

Quinn

How about you Stacy? Are your parents taking you to work?

Stacy

Sobbing uncontrollably.

 NO!

She gets up and runs from the booth past the booth with Daria and Jane.

Jane

What’s that all about?

Daria

Who cares, as long as she didn’t stop here.

Back at the fashion club booth.

Tiffany

Shouldn’t we go after her or something?

Sandi

She’ll get over it. Plus the meeting isn’t over yet.

The kitchen in the Morgendorffer house. Daria is sitting at the table eating. Jake is also at the table reading the paper.

Helen walks in.

Helen

Well sweetie, are you ready for the day?

Daria

Ready as I could ever be.

Jake puts down the paper.

Jake

Where’s Quinn?

Daria

Hiding under the bed?

Helen

Daria!

Helen's cell phone rings. She answers it.

Hello? Oh Hi Eric. I'm leaving in just a moment. What do you need? Yes I have the file right here. The deposition should go smoothly provided...

Helen leaves the kitchen.

Jake

Better finish up kiddo. Looks like your mother is almost ready to leave.

Calls out

 Quinn!

Quinn enters the kitchen. She is wearing a business suit much like what Helen wears only the skirt is shorter and the jacket and skirt are a little tighter.

Quinn

Right here dad.

Daria

What is that?

Quinn

Daria you may not care what other people think about what you wear but I want people to see I’m dressed for success.

Daria

Seeing you in that suit confirms you have the suck part down pat.

Jake

Nervous and upset.

Daria! Quinn looks great.

Quinn

Thanks Dad.

Jake

Daria you should be more excited about this day. I would have loved to have gone to work with my dad when I was a kid. He always said I wouldn’t understand the job. What I didn't understand is what was so important in his life that he had to send his son off to be raised by sadists at some military school. All I wanted was to be like him and he wanted nothing to do with me, the selfish old...

Quinn

Easy dad. Easy. Are we ready to go?

Jake

Sorry. We’ll go in a second. Just let me get my briefcase.

Jake leaves the kitchen.

Daria

You seem really excited about this day. May I ask why?

Quinn

Don't you realize Mom and Dad are giving us an excused day from school?

Daria

Yea and the only price is ten hours with them. On a weekday. What's the real reason?

Quinn

If you must know. I snuck a peek at Dad’s day planner. He has a morning meeting with Essanse.

Daria

The supermodel?

Quinn

Duh. Is there any one else with that name.

Daria

Probably. What’s she doing in Lawndale? And more importantly what’s she doing meeting with Dad?

Quinn

According to his note she’s starting her own cosmetics line. I can’t pass up an opportunity to meet a model this famous.

Daria

And hey, If you create the right impression maybe she’ll shower you with cosmetics and hire you to be in her campaign.

Quinn

Ha ha Daria. She’s selling makeup Daria. Not running for governor. And who’s to say there won’t be any samples. At least I can have a picture made with her to rub Sandi’s nose in.

Daria

Well you know what they say about the best-laid plans of mice and men.

Quinn

No! I don’t have to read that till next year.

Daria

My mistake. Have a GREAT day.

Jake and Helen return.

Jake

Well Quinn. Let’s go. Bye Helen. Have a great day Kiddo.

Quinn

Okay Dad. Bye Mom

Helen

Bye dear. Daria we really should get going as well.

Jake and Quinn are in his car.

Quinn

So what’s first dad? Breakfast meeting? Perhaps a conference with a big client?

Jake

Well. I was supposed to meet with a cosmetics company representative but that meeting was postponed until next Friday. We’re going to meet some men to discuss a new proposal. Sort of last minute but they are good clients. You should find it interesting.

Quinn

WHAT!

Helen’s car.

Helen

Sweetie you don’t know how much I’ve looked forward to this day. It will be nice to spend some time together.

Daria

We spend time together.

Helen

Not outside the house. This should be a great day.

Daria

Yea great.

Helen

And who knows this might actually motivate you to get more direction in your life.

Daria

In a hushed voice.

Or motivate me to file for emancipation.

Jake’s office.

Jake

Well dear we’re almost ready for our meeting. Excited?

Quinn

Yea. Thrilled. What’s this meeting about. Spatulas or something?

Jake

No. Nothing like that. We’re meeting with representatives of the Brenda catalog. They’re gearing up to market a new line of jeans. We’re going to have a session to review their new line and decide the best way to introduce them.

Quinn

WOW! This is even better than the cosmetics meeting. I love the Brenda catalog and as a member of the Fashion Club I can provide the other members with advance information. This will really put Sandi in her place.

Jake

Sorry but you can’t say anything about this for a while. These meetings are kept in extreme confidence until the official introduction. You can’t talk about this until the client is ready.

Quinn

Okay fine. At least I can let them know my ideas. This is the ideal chance to put my position as vice-president to good use.

Jake

Uh Quinn. You can’t do that either. These are very important men with years of experience in the fashion business. They want advice from people who, um, have a little more of a marketing background.

Quinn

Well what am I supposed to do? Sit on my hands and merely observe?

Jake

That’s an excellent plan. Let’s go with that.

Quinn

Whatever.

Helen’s office.

Daria

So what’s the schedule?

Helen

Well first we have the Frost Hamburgers deposition. After that I have to dictate some briefs. Then I thought we could have some lunch and discuss the afternoon schedule.

Daria

A thrill packed day if there ever was one.

Marianne enters.

Marianne

Helen. They’re ready to start.

Helen

Marianne, you remember my daughter Daria. You met at the company picnic.

Marianne

Daria! It’s so nice to see you again. Your mother has been looking forward to this day all week.

Daria

Yea. Me too.

Helen

Okay let’s go.

They walk down a hallway and stop at a door. There are several people waiting outside.

Helen

Is everyone here? Good. Let’s get started.

Another Lawyer

Helen could we talk for a second?

They go off to the side. There is mumbling. Only Helen’s comments can be heard clearly.

She’s my daughter...

It’s for school...

This is supposed to be an educational experience...

Well if there is no option...

Helen goes over to Daria.

Helen

Sweetie. I have some bad news.

Daria

I’ve got to come back tomorrow?

Helen

No. The client doesn’t want you in the room during the deposition. He said it would make him nervous.

Daria

The eight other people there don’t make him nervous?

Helen

It’s his choice. If you can wait in my office we shouldn’t be too long. Then we can spend the rest of the day together.

Daria

Sighs.

Fine. I’ll find something to occupy my time until you return.

Helen

That’s great. We’ll just be a little while. I promise.

Back at Jake’s, there are several men (five or six) in a conference room. Jake and Quinn enter. Quinn is standing with her arms crossed and frowning.

Jake

Gentlemen. Nice to see you. This is my daughter Quinn. She’s with me today as part of a school project. She’s just going to observe. I hope you don’t mind.

Men

All talking at the same time.

Sure...

No problem...

Fine with me...

I have a daughter too...

Okay...

Jake

Great. Let’s start. Jim. I understand you have a new line of jeans you want to show us.

Jim stands up next to a tall item covered with a sheet.

Jim

Yes. We have a new approach to the girls jeans market. To put it mildly we feel this is going to revolutionize the fashion world and really but the Brenda Catalog on the map.

Murmurs of agreement from the clients.

Quinn’s interest perks up. You can see her excitement build.

Jim

Introducing the Brenda Country Girl line.

He pulls off the sheet to show a pair of jeans on a mannequin.

The first girl’s jeans made entirely of burlap.

Quinn’s face immediately goes from excitement to horror.

Back at Helen’s office. Daria is sitting in Helen’s desk chair with her back to the door.

Helen enters.

Helen

Daria?

Daria turns around out in the chair. She is reading a book.

Daria

So the deposition’s over. And just in time to get something to eat.

Helen

Sorry honey. Things have gotten a little complicated. The deposition is still in progress. We just stopped for a short break. We shouldn’t be too much longer and then we’ll have lunch.

Daria

Don't hurry on my account. Remember, “A job half done is never done right.”

Helen

Amazed.

You’ve been reading my “Succeed or Die” inspirational desk calendar!

Daria

It’s kind of hard to miss. The illustrations are pretty graphic. Anyway go ahead and finish up. There’s plenty of day left.

Helen

Thanks for understanding dear. You’re a great kid.

Helen turns and leaves.

Daria

I’ll be here when you get back.

Back at Jake’s meeting Jake is standing in front of the group with several charts and pictures. During this entire scene Quinn is quietly freaking out.

Jake

You’ve maintained a low profile until now but to introduce these it would be a good idea to run several spots on various cable channels. If you include your 1-800 number you should not only be able to move this line but should significantly increase your subscription base. Until now word of mouth has been fine but you need to be more pubic now.

Executive

That sounds great but what do you think about the jeans? Do you think they will sell? That's what we want to know. What’s your honest opinion?

Jake

The idea has merit. I’m sure the kids will go crazy over it. Anyway it doesn’t matter. Even if the jeans fail you know as well as I do that the majority of people never return anything to catalog sellers. Especially teenage girls.

Another Executive

But what about the jeans? What does your daughter think?

Quinn perks up immediately.

Tight shot of Jake.

Jake

I don’t know if that is a good idea. After all she doesn’t know much about marketing.

Pull out to show Quinn standing next to Jake.

Quinn

Nonsense Dad. I can really help. AS vice-president of the Lawndale High Fashion Club I have to say that your jeans are...

In the hallway at the law firm. Daria is leaving the ladies room. She walks past an open door with a man sitting behind a desk. The man sees her and walks into the hallway. It turns out to be Eric.

Eric

Excuse me young lady.

Daria turns around to face him.

Daria

Yes?

Eric

Are you lost?

Daria

Excuse me?

Eric

This firm usually doesn’t have people as young as you running around unattended. Are your parents clients?

Daria

I’m just going to my mother’s office to wait for her.

Eric

Your mother works here? Who is she?

Daria

Helen Morgendorffer.

Eric

Helen? Are you Daria?

Daria

Yes. And you are?

Eric

Eric. I’m an associate of your mothers. It’s nice to meet you. You mother speaks about you quite often.

Daria

She does?

Eric

Yes she does. She’s very proud of how well you do in school.

Daria

Yea well.

Eric

As a matter of fact, you would be perfect for our summer internship program. What grade are you in?

Daria

I’m a sophomore.

Eric

That's great. You would get excellent experience. And it would look great when you apply to college. It wouldn't be a problem. I'm in charge of the program.

Daria

Thanks but it would interfere with my hectic social schedule.

Eric

Oh. I understand. The joys of youth. Well if you change your mind just tell your mother. She can let me know.

Daria

I’ll do that. It was nice meeting you. If you don’t mind I’d like to go back to her office now.

Eric

Sure. It was nice meeting you too.

Daria walks out of the shot.

Eric

Hectic social schedule? I thought that was her other daughter. Hmm.

Daria is still in Helen’s office. It turns out Helen has a television in her office and Daria is putting it to good use watching “Sick Sad World.” As Helen and Marianne enter, Daria shuts the TV off.

Helen

I’m so sorry the deposition ran so long. I know it’s late but do you still want to get something to eat?

Daria

I went to the cafeteria about two hours ago and got something but it is nice of you to remember.

Helen

I’ll admit this day hasn’t gone exactly as planned but maybe now we can finally do something together.

The intercom buzzes. Marianne picks up the phone.

Marianne

Hello?

I’ll tell her.

Helen. It’s Eric. He needs you to bring him the Willis vs. Sisson file. He says there has been a major change in the strategy and he needs to meet with you immediately.

Helen

Sighs.

Alright. Sorry sweetheart but I have to attend this meeting. I WILL try to be quick.

Daria

Take all the time you need. I’m not going anywhere. You have the car keys.

Helen

I really am sorry. I’ll be back shortly.

Helen and Marianne leave.

In a hushed voice.

This day really hasn’t gone like I’d hoped.

At Lawndale High. In Ms. Barch's class there are the major male characters (Kevin, Mack, and Upchuck) along with a few other male students. Jodie, Brittany, and Jane are the only girls there.

Ms. Barch

Well I see we have a few young ladies who either chose not to participate in this great opportunity or weren’t allowed. For you the day won't be a total loss. If you could go to the auditorium there will be a special video presentation about women in the workplace sponsored by the Lawndale Business Women’s Association. Jodie, Jane, Brittany. You may be excused.

All three leave the classroom. Kevin raises his hand.

Kevin

Um. Ms. Barch? May I be excused also?

Ms. Barch

Kevin. Put your scrawny arm down and be quiet. Now boys I have a special lab assignment just for you. Get out the ammonia and bleach.

Ms. Barch puts on a respirator.

Back at Jake’s meeting Quinn is still unloading on the jeans people. Her focus has gone away from burlap pants to their other products. Jake is now in the corner with his head in his hands. The executives are all looking tired and uneasy.

Tight shot of Quinn.

Quinn

And I still haven’t been able to get the wrinkles out of that red velvet top. Then there is the matter of the Pleather skirt that the zipper broke on the third time I wore it. If it was going to do that why wasn’t it...?

Pull out to show Jake. He puts his hand on Quinn's shoulder.

Jake

Quinn honey. We’ve been here through lunch. I’m sure everyone here could use a short break. Gentlemen?

Executives

Yes.

I’d like that.

I could use some fresh air.

Quinn

Fine dad. That’ll give me some time to gather my thoughts. For when everyone comes back I mean.

Jake

I tell you what. Why don’t you help me out by doing some field research?

Quinn

What do you mean?

Jake

I'll continue the meeting. You can go to Cashmans to check out what's there to make your points. Pick up a few examples of jeans you like. Then you can give me a report tonight.

Quinn

Really? You’re sure you don’t need me for the rest of the meeting?

Jake

Positive! Here take my card. I’ll get a cab to take you there. I’ll have another bring you back here before it’s time to go home.

Quinn

Thanks dad. This day has been very educational. I’ve learned a lot.

Walking away and muttering quietly.

Me too. I don’t know how I’ll fix this.

At Lawndale High. Daria and Jane are standing in front of Daria’s locker.

Jane

So Helen was gone the entire day and you spent all the time alone in her office. Guess it was pretty boring.

Daria

Not really. Marianne forgot to lock the filing cabinet holding all of Mom’s cases. I spent most of the time catching up on local events.

Jane

You read her private files!? Cool! Anything juicy?

Daria

More than you could possibly imagine. Good stuff. It could really pay off some day. How did school go?

Jane

Nothing major. Ms. Barch just tear-gassed all the boys in her lab. Other than that it was pretty quiet.

Quinn and the rest of the Fashion Club walk past Daria and Jane. They are all wearing brown pants and moving in a stiff-legged fashion.

Stacy

These things are too itchy.

Tiffany

Oh yea. I’m in agony.

Sandi

Ladies. We’re the Fashion Club. We have to be examples to the rest of the school. Even if it means we sometimes have to suffer.

Tiffany

But does it have to be all day?

They pass out of the shot.

Jane

What’s that all about?

Daria

Quinn almost lost a big client of Dads. He smoothed everything out by hiring the fashion club to wear their new line of burlap jeans until they give him a positive report he can present to the clients.

Jane

So he’s buying them off. What a shock.

Daria

Yea. Even I got something out of it.

Jane

He hired you too?

Daria

No. But I did get to watch her walk to school this morning. Some things are priceless.

 

The End.

As usual, Daria belongs to MTV. This was written for my own amusement.