No Relation

 

Jane sat on Daria’s bed patiently waiting for her to finish typing up the playlist. It would have been much faster to have just written it on a piece of notebook paper but ever since she had joined up with Monique, the Harpies took up most of her free time. The playlist was a good excuse for her to spend a rare few minutes with Daria. Sitting there thinking about how much she missed spending time hanging out after school, her thoughts were interrupted by Daria’s voice.

 

“There. It’s done.” Daria took the paper out of the printer and gave it to Jane. “I don’t get this. Why are you doing so many covers? I figured Monique would want to do just the Harpies stuff. Even if it is a high school dance you’re playing.”

 

Jane took the sheet and looked over it. “Yea but that’s the thing. It’s a high school dance. Mrs. Bennett’s in charge and she let the students have a request sheet.” Looking over the list, she continued, “Thanks for typing this out. I had to wait until after school to get the list from her.”

 

“No problem.” Daria said. “I wondered when you guys had started doing covers for boy bands. Although I could see you guys doing your one unique spin to the numbers. At least on my request anyway.”

 

Shaking her head, Jane looked at Daria. “Not this time. We’re doing straight covers. We need this gig. After we got stiffed at that club in Leansville last month we have to pay a few bills.”

 

“Oh so this is an act of desperation on the part of you guys?”

 

Jane nodded. “More or less. Plus as you once said, a gig’s a gig.” Stopping, she let Daria’s earlier comment sink in. “Wait a minute, YOUR request?” Jane looked at the sheet again. Sure enough, hidden in the middle of the list was Daria’s favorite song, looking at Daria, Jane asked, “So you’re coming tonight after all?”

 

Daria couldn’t believe it. Jane knew her better that that. “Are you crazy? You remember what happened the last time I went to a dance. We almost socialized with Ruttheimers. No way will I risk something like that happening again.”

 

“Oh come on.” Jane said. “You can hang backstage. It would be nice to have a friendly face as we lower our standards yet again for someone who will actually pay us.”

 

Sighing, Daria said, “Even if I really wanted to I couldn’t. We’ve got company coming and I can’t get away.”

 

This interested Jane.

 

“Really? Who?”

 

“My Aunt Amy.”

 

Jane’s eyes got really big.

 

“THE Aunt Amy!?”

 

Daria looked at her.

 

“What do you mean THE Aunt Amy?”

 

“Well I’ve heard you talk about her enough. It’s just I never expected to meet this woman.”

 

“If you do it’ll have to be quick.” Daria said, “They’re only staying tonight and tomorrow. They’ll be going back tomorrow evening.”

 

Now Jane really was interested.

 

“They? Who else is coming?”

 

Daria slumped down in the desk chair.

 

“My cousin Quinn.”

 

Jane should have guessed. She had heard Daria mention her cousin once or twice before and it was just common sense that Aunt Amy wouldn’t leave her daughter alone in the house for an entire weekend. She knew Daria didn’t really care for Quinn that much but really wasn’t sure why.

 

“So it sounds like you’re going to have a full weekend anyway.”

 

Daria bowed her head and nodded slightly.

 

“Yea. Lucky me.”

 

Standing up, Jane looked at Daria.

 

“Well if they’re not due for a while at least come and watch us set up. That’ll kill a few hours away from the casa.”

 

As Jane put on her jacket, Daria looked up from the chair.

 

“I don’t think so. Watching seems like it could easily turn into helping move stuff.”

 

Jane chuckled.

 

“Don’t worry. If we draft you to do anything it will be to get us some sandwiches.”

 

“Oh that’s much better. No way. You’re on your own.”

 

Sighing, Jane decided to give it one last shot.

 

“Okay, pizza instead of sandwiches. And you can choose the toppings.”

 

Figuring it would be nice to spend more time with Jane, Daria said, “I guess I could waste a few hours. After all how difficult is it to dial a phone for delivery?”

 

As Jane opened the door, she said, “That’s the spirit. Let’s go.”

 

When they got in the hallway, Daria looked at Jane

 

“Um. Aren’t you forgetting something?”

 

“What?”

 

Daria pointed at the piece of paper lying on her bed.

 

Jane ran back into the room and grabbed the playlist. When she got back into the hallway she looked at Daria.

 

“Thanks for noticing. I’d be dead if I showed up with out this.” To be sure she didn’t lose it again she folded it and placed it in the pocket inside her jacket lining. Looking back at Daria, she said, “Okay. Let’s go.”

 

Walking down the stairs, Daria’s hopes of leaving the house were soon destroyed when she heard Helen’s voice come from the living room.

 

“Daria? Are you going somewhere?”

 

Walking into the living room, Daria said. “Um yea. Jane asked me to go help her set up at the gym. I’ll be back soon.”

 

Helen shook her head.

 

“I’m sorry but you can’t go. Amy and Quinn are due here any minute. You need to stay.” Turning to look at Jane she said, “You’ll just have to do without Daria’s help today.”

 

Daria looked at Jane.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“No problem. You can supervise some other time.” Looking at her watch, Jane said, “Wow! It’s getting late. I better get moving.” Jane looked at Helen. “See you later Mrs. Morgendorffer.”

 

As Daria and Jane turned to go to the door Helen said,  “Bye Jane.”

 

Just as the pair got to the door, the bell rang. Looking through the peephole, Daria saw the distorted image of her Aunt. As she opened the door, she was stunned as a pair of arms wrapped tightly around her.

 

“Hi Daria. It’s great to see you again.”

 

As she struggled to get free from the grasp, Daria said, “Hey Quinn.”

 

Looking up, Daria saw Amy standing in the doorway.

 

“Hi Daria.”

 

Finally managing to free herself, Daria looked at Amy.

 

“Hey.”

 

Noticing Jane, Amy asked, “So who’s your friend?”

 

“Oh right.” Daria said. “Aunt Amy, This is Jane. Jane this is my Aunt Amy.”

 

Amy held out her arm and shook Jane’s hand.

 

 “Hi Jane. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you too.” Jane said.

 

By now Helen had come over. When she saw her sister, the pair hugged.

 

“Hey Sis.”

 

Amy smiled. “Hi Helen. You’re looking good.”

 

Laughing, Helen said, “You too. Well both of you come in and sit down”

 

As Helen, Amy, and Quinn all went into the living room Daria said, “I’ll be there in a second.”

 

Once outside, Daria turned to look at Jane.

 

“I’m sorry about this. I’ll see you later okay?”

 

Jane smiled. “That’s cool.” Changing the subject, Jane asked, “Are you sure that’s your Aunt?”

 

Daria nodded.

 

“Of course. Why?”

 

“Well you said she and Helen were twins and they don’t resemble each other that much.”

 

“I never said they were identical. But yes, they are twins and she is my aunt.”

 

Raising her hands to stop Daria, Jane said, “Okay. Sorry. Look, I really need to get going. If you change your mind about the dance you’re more than welcome to hang out behind the stage. You can get in, Trent is security.”

 

Daria rolled her eyes at the thought of Jane’s little brother being security at a high school dance.

 

“Great.” Sighing she said, “Well I better get back in there before Mom sends Quinn out to hug me again.”

 

Jane chuckled at the thought of that happening twice. “Okay Bye.” She said. Getting in the Tank, she looked through the passenger side window. “Well have fun.”

 

“Yea right. Fun.” Daria said.

 

Standing there, Daria waited until Jane pulled away before going back inside. Going into the living room where everybody else was, she sat in the empty chair next to Quinn and tried to figure out where the conversation was.

  

“That’s great.” Helen said. Turning to look at her daughter, she asked, “Did you hear that Daria?”

 

Daria looked at her mom.

 

“Hear what?”

 

“Quinn has made the honor roll the past two semesters.”

 

Turning her attention to her cousin, Daria said, “Um, Congratulations.”

 

Quinn smiled.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Daria had to admit to being a little impressed. When they shared a room for two years back in Highland, Quinn didn’t seem to care anything about education. At that time school was merely a place to hang out with her friends. Something must have happened during their separation to make her take learning more serious. 

 

“So Daria, how has Lawndale been for you?” Amy asked. “I see you’ve made a friend. Do you have any others?”

 

“I know a few people.” Pausing for a second, Daria figured she should qualify that statement. “We’re on friendly terms at least.”

 

Amy chuckled.

 

“That’s nice.” Turning her attention back to Helen, she asked, “So where’s Jake?”

 

“He’s off fly fishing with his dad again. I don’t really get it. They work together every day and then in their only free time they go off to hang out with each other. I guess it’s their way of letting their success not wear them out.”

 

“So business is good?” Amy asked.

 

Helen nodded. “Yes. It’s allowed me to finally get away from being at the law firm all the time. Perhaps soon I can actually get away from that place for good.” Turning from Amy, Helen looked at Daria and smiled,  “Every second I’m there keeps me away from where I want to be the most.”

 

“If that’s what you want.” Amy said. Standing up, she looked around. “It was a long drive. I need to freshen up some. Where’s the restroom?”

 

Helen got up. “I’ll show you.” Looking at Daria she said, “Daria, why don’t you show Quinn where the guest room is. You can takes Amy’s bag up there.”

 

Daria nodded. “Okay.” Picking up one of the bags, she looked at Quinn and said, “Follow me.”

 

The two went up the stairs. As they passed Daria’s room Quinn peeked in. Stopping for a second to get the full effect, She asked. “Is that your room?”

 

Turning to look at her cousin, Daria said. “No we rent that one out to transients on a weekly basis. Right now we have a sideshow freak staying there. He’ll be back after his shift ends at midnight. Don’t let the horns scare you. He’s really harmless, just don’t look him directly in the eyes.”

 

Setting her bag down, Quinn put her hands on her hips. “Ha Ha Daria. That would have worked a few years ago. I’m not eight any more. Actually I think your room is kind of cool. It looks like it fits you perfectly.”

 

This was definitely unexpected. When they lived together, Quinn made sure she had a screen to separate the bedroom so she didn’t have to see Daria’s décor. Daria guessed she was okay with it now since she wasn’t going to have to sleep there. All she could say was, “Um. Thanks.”

 

After they put the bags in the guest room both went downstairs into the kitchen. As they entered, Daria saw her mom and Amy sitting at the table. Daria walked over to the refrigerator and got out a cola. Before she could close the door Helen spoke up.

 

“Daria. Aren’t you going to see if Quinn wants something to drink?”

 

Figuring she had no choice, Daria turned to look at Quinn. “Do you want something?”

 

Quinn tried to look in the fridge but Daria was blocking the view.

 

“Do you have anything diet?”

 

Looking back inside, Daria checked the stock of beverages. Turning back around she looked at Quinn.

 

“Just a couple bottles of dihydrogen-monoxide.”

 

“What!?” Quinn exclaimed.

 

Once again, Amy chuckled.

 

“Don’t worry Quinn. It’s water.”

 

Letting out a sigh of relief, Quinn said, “Okay. That sounds fine.”

 

Daria reached into the fridge one more time and gave Quinn a bottle of water.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Sure.” Daria said.

 

After pouring her drink in a glass, Daria excused herself and went upstairs with the story of needing to take care of something for school she left on her computer. The truth was pretty easy for Helen to figure out. Daria wasn’t in a mood to talk. Knowing better than to try to force Daria into staying, she turned her attention back to Amy and said, “So tell me about the interview.”

 

After going to her room, Daria shut the door and turned on the TV. About a half hour later the phone rang. A minute later there was a knock on her door.

 

“Yes?”

 

Daria recognized Quinn’s voice.

 

“Um. Aunt Helen says there’s a call for you. She asked me to bring you the phone. Can I come in?”

 

Sighing, Daria said, “Okay.”

 

Quinn opened the door, walked in and gave Daria the phone. As Daria started to put the phone to her ear, Quinn stood at the foot of the bed and tried to watch the television. Not having much success, she asked, “May I please sit down. I can’t see the screen.”

 

Daria moved over slightly to let Quinn sit down, putting the phone to her ear, she asked, “Hello?”

 

On the other end, Jane said, “Hey, Um Daria. Did you save the file with our playlist?”

 

Looking over at the computer, Daria saw the file was still up.

 

“Yea. Why. Have you lost the original?”

 

Jane knew she wouldn’t hear the end of this for a while but she had no choice but to tell Daria the truth. “Actually yes I have.”

 

Almost dropping the phone, Daria said, “You’re kidding right. I saw you put the list in your pocket. How could you lose it so fast?”

 

“I don’t know.” Jane said. “I guess it fell out of my pocket as I got the keys or something. It’s not important what I need to know is can you make us a new copy. I’d use the original but that’s there too.”

 

Seeing the original sheet on her desk, Daria said, “Yea I’ll run you a new copy. You gonna send someone to get it?”

 

“Sorry but no. The dance is about to start and I’m in the band remember.”

 

Daria sighed.

 

“I’ll try to get out of here. I can’t promise anything. If I can’t make it I’ll call you and you’ll have to send Trent. What’s the number there?”

 

After writing down the number, Daria hung up, printed a new copy of the playlist and headed downstairs. In her haste, Daria never paid attention to Quinn tailing her. Heading to the kitchen, she looked for Helen. Not finding her, she went to the living room. There she found her mom and aunt still having their conversation. When they saw her and Quinn enter, both parents looked at their daughters.

 

“Hey Daria.” Helen said. “How’s the homework going?”

 

“Um fine. Jane just called.” Holding up the playlist, Daria continued.  “She needs me to run a copy of this to the gym. I won’t be long okay.”

 

“Can’t she come over and get it?” Helen asked.

 

Daria shook her head. “No. The dance is starting soon and she can’t leave. I plan to just drop it off and come right back.”

 

“Okay.” Helen said. “Just see if Quinn wants to go along. If you’d like you two can stop off and get something to eat. I really haven’t started thinking about dinner yet.”

 

“I don’t know.” Daria said. “I mean I just plan to run to the school and right back. I’m sure Quinn would find it boring.”

 

“No I wouldn’t Daria.” Quinn interrupted. “I’d like to see where you live. If you don’t mind I would like to tag along.”

 

Turning to look at her cousin, Daria sighed, “Okay I guess.” Turning her attention back to Helen, Daria said, “You mentioned getting something to eat while we’re out.”

 

Helen nodded.

 

“Well I’m broke so we’ll have to come back here inste…”

 

Before she could finish, Amy interrupted, reaching into her purse, she handed Quinn a twenty.

 

“Here. Have whatever you two want. My treat.”

 

Taking the bill, Quinn pocketed it and said, “Thanks Mom.”

 

“Yea. Thanks.” Daria said. Looking at Quinn, she continued. “We need to get going. Jane really needs this.”

 

After going outside, Daria went over to the curb and looked down. Sure enough the folded playlist was lying on the pavement where it had fallen out of Jane’s pocket. Picking it up. She stuck it with the other copy and the duo was on their way to the gym.

 

The walk turned out to be an exercise in patience for Daria. All the way to the school, Quinn never stopped asking questions. Where is the mall, How many cute guys are at the school, are there any really cool hangouts around. Sometimes Daria could answer the questions but many times she had no real good answer about life in Lawndale. It made her really curious about why Quinn was so interested in life here since there was no way she could do anything in just one night but she tried to be patient. Quinn was trying to be friendly so she wanted to be civil too. Eventually they made it to the school. Heading to the gym, they avoided the quickly filling front entrance and found the back door where Trent was sitting in the door of the van with the Harpies equipment.

 

Going over to where he was sitting, Daria cleared her throat. When nothing happened, Daria walked over and stood in front of him. When she got a better view she realized why there was no reaction. Once more Trent was asleep. “Some security.” Daria thought. “Jane and Monique are lucky there’s anything left in the van at all.” Before she could wake him, Quinn went over to stand next to Daria.

 

“Hey. He’s cute.” Quinn said. “Who is he?”

 

“Jane’s little brother.” Poking him in the shoulder, Daria said, “Trent, wake up.”

 

Trent slowly opened his eyes. When he saw Daria, he immediately jumped up and tried to look more alert to his surroundings. How could he have been so sloppy? And the worst part was he was a fool in front of Daria. Of all the people to see him at his worst, it had to be her. Hoping to not embarrass himself more, he said, “Hey Daria. What can I do for you?”

 

Immediately after saying that, Trent wanted to slap himself. Here he was talking to the girl of his dreams and he was acting like a salesman at a store in the mall. Before he could try to fix his stupidity, Daria interrupted and saved him from embarrassing himself any further.

 

“I need to see Jane. She asked me to bring her something. Is she inside?”

 

Before Trent could reply, Daria heard the music start. Looking at Trent, she said, “I guess that’s a yes. I’ll just go in. Okay?”

 

“Uh yea.” Trent said. Before he could say anything else, he saw Daria and Quinn heading through the door. Sighing in frustration, he wondered who that girl with Daria was. 

 

Once in the gym, Daria stood backstage and waited for Jane to notice her. When Jane saw her standing off to the side, she nodded and gestured for Daria to wait. Once the song was over, Jane unstrapped her guitar and grabbed the list.

 

“Thanks for bringing this.” She said. “We’d have been stuck for sure without this. You really saved our butts here.”

 

“Sure. No problem.” Daria said.

 

“Look I have to get back but stick around. We’ll play your request next.”

 

“Um. Thanks but we’re going to get some food.”

 

“Oh c’mon. It’s just three minutes. Surely you can spare that long.”

 

“Okay.” Daria said. “But you better get to it quick.”

 

Jane looked over to see Monique glaring at her. Looking back at Daria, she said. “I need to get back. Thanks again.” Rushing over, she handed the list to Monique, whispered something in her ear and picked up her guitar. A second later they began playing Brandy (You’re a fine girl). Oddly enough it sounded great. Monique must really like the song too. After it was completed, Jane looked at Daria and grinned. Daria nodded back and turned to Quinn.

 

“Okay. Let’s get going.”

 

“Can I just look in the gym for a minute before we leave?” Quinn asked.  

 

Once more, Quinn’s behavior confused Daria. “Why would you want to do that?” she asked.

 

“I’d just like to see what part of the school looks like.” Quinn said.

 

“Why?”

 

“Just humor me Daria. Please? It won’t take too long. Then we’ll get some pizza and I’ll explain. Okay?”

 

Daria shrugged. She didn’t see any harm in letting Quinn see the gym but she hoped the explanation would be worth going out into the crowd. “Okay. Follow me.” She said and opened the door to go out onto the dance floor. Once in the gym, Daria immediately regretted the action when she heard a familiar voice.

 

“Daria I didn’t expect to see you here.”

 

Turning to the voice, Daria looked up.

 

“Hey Mr. O’Neill.”

 

“What made you change your mind about coming tonight?”

 

“I’m not really here for the dance. Jane needed me to drop something off. We’re leaving in just a minute.”

 

“Jane’s here too?” he asked.

 

Daria was once again amazed. Just when she thought she’d heard everything Mr. O’Neill had to say, he never failed to surprise her. Pointing to the stage, she said, “Yea. She’s in the band.”

 

Looking the direction she was pointing, he finally noticed Jane.

“Ah. So she is. Well stay as long as you want.” Pausing for a second, he asked, “You did remember to buy a pass, right?”

 

Shaking her head, Daria said, “No. Like I said we just peeked in for a second after giving Jane her playlist. We’re leaving in a second.”

 

It was then Mr. O’Neill finally saw Quinn standing there.

 

“Hello. I don’t think I’ve seen you around the school before.”

 

“That’s because I’m not a student here. Daria’s my cousin. I’m here visiting this weekend.”

 

“Ah. I see. Well I hope you enjoy yourself.” Now that he had noticed Quinn, he couldn’t help but feel there was something familiar about her. What it was he couldn’t say but there was something that reminded him of someone. Deciding there was no real harm in bending the rules he looked at Daria and said, “You know. If you’re with the band you can stay a while without buying a ticket if you would like. I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.”

 

“Um. Sure. Thanks.” Daria said.

 

Before he could embarrass Daria any more Ms. Barch came over and accosted him.

 

“C’mon Skinny. There’s a slow one coming up.”

 

As she dragged him away, Daria let out a huge sigh of relief that was over.  Looking at Quinn, she said, “Okay have you seen enough?”

 

“Yea.” Quinn said. “But I like this song. Let’s stay until they finish it. Okay?”

 

“Very well. But then we go to get something to eat.”

 

Daria really was beginning to get a little hungry and the noise was starting to give her a headache. She really wanted to get going.

 

As Daria impatiently waited for the song to finish, she never noticed the mass of young men moving her direction until it was too late to move out of the way. The first time she noticed anything was when Jamie bumped into her without apologizing. Standing there with an irate look, she listened to the events with little surprise.

 

“Hey are you new here?”

 

“Would you dance with me?”

 

“Can I get you a soda?”

 

It was as if the years had washed away and they were back together at the pool in Highland again. She was pushed out of the way as the boys quickly discovered girls, or a girl to be more precise. Quinn had some weird effect on guys. When they got around her it was as if no other female existed, and Quinn knew how to use it to her advantage from the very beginning. That was why it was such a shock when she heard Quinn’s reply.

 

“Um thanks but no. I’m here with Daria and we’re going to get something to eat.”

 

Daria couldn’t believe it. What had happened to Quinn? Any surprises from earlier paled in comparison to what she just heard. Standing there, she waited for the boy’s replies to what Quinn had just said.

 

“Well can I drive you to the restaurant? There’s a really nice place called Chez Pierre not far from here.” Jeffy said. “I can change into my tie and get you there in fifteen minutes.”

 

Jane and Monique were playing the lead-in to the next song. Looking over at Daria, Quinn nodded slightly to indicate she was ready to get going. She seemed uncomfortable with all the attention she was getting so Daria nodded that she was also ready to leave. Unfortunately it wasn’t early enough and they were cut off by Ms. Li at the exit.

 

“Ms. Morgendorffer. I don’t recall seeing you buy a ticket.”

 

Looking up at Ms. Li, Daria said, “I didn’t come in through the front door. I had to give Jane something and just peeked in for a minute to show Quinn the gym.”

 

“Ah.” Looking over at Quinn for just a second, Ms. Li continued. “So that answers my second question but I have one more. You aren’t a student here are you.”

 

Shaking her head, Quinn said, “No Maam. I’m not a student here but you see…”

Before she could continue, Ms. Li interrupted, “That’s it. This is a function for only the students of Lawndale High. I need to know how you got in and why you’re here.”

 

“She’s with me.” Daria said. “Like I said, we just peeked in for a second. Mr. O’Neil saw us and said we could stay for a few minutes longer. We were just leaving when you came over.”

 

“So Mr. O’Neill’s in this as well.” Dividing her attention between the two young women, she said, “You two aren’t going anywhere. This is a violation of school security. Follow me right now.”

 

Not really knowing what they had done, the two felt they had no other choice and followed her as she found Mr. O’Neill. Walking to the office, the four sat down and waited as Ms. Li phoned Helen.

 

Helen was shocked to hear that Daria was in trouble for merely doing Jane a favor and immediately said she would be right there. After hanging up, Ms. Li and the other three sat there in almost complete silence waiting for Helen to arrive. After about ten minutes they head her voice in the foyer.

 

“Hello?”

 

Looking at the two young women and Mr. O’Neill, Ms. Li said, “Wait right here.” Getting up she left the office and closed the door behind her. They sat there for a second. Eventually the expected reply came and Daria heard Helen’s voice get louder the angrier she became at hearing why they were in trouble. While she had not been overly concerned about being in trouble as much as she was annoyed at the idea that she still hadn’t eaten dinner yet she was comforted knowing that her mom’s lawyer gene had kicked into high gear and she would soon be out of hot water.  Sure enough, a few seconds later the door opened and a somewhat humbled Ms. Li silently gestured for Daria and Quinn to follow her.

 

Once in the hallway, Daria and Quinn saw Helen and, much to both their surprise, Amy waiting for them. Looking at her daughter, Helen asked, “Are you ready to go now?”

 

Knowing there was no reason to say anything, Daria and Quinn both went to their respective parents and stood there. A moment later, Helen spoke again.

 

“Ms. Li. I believe you have something to say.”

 

Taking a deep breath, Ms. Li sighed and began.

 

“Ms. Morgendorffer, Ms. Barksdale. I want to apologize for my treatment of you. You didn’t violate any school policies and my actions weren’t justified. Ms. Morgendorffer, please be assured this will not be noted on you permanent record.”

 

Looking up, Ms. Li quickly glanced at Helen to see if that was adequate. Once Helen acknowledged that she had done enough, Ms. Li spoke again. “Very well. Now I need to get back to the gym to make sure everyone’s behaving.”

 

Suddenly, Ms. Barch entered the hallway. “Where’s Timothy?” she asked.

 

That was when Ms. Li remembered Mr. O’Neill was still waiting in her office. Looking through the door she said, “You can come out now. We need to get back to the dance. I’ll speak to you later.”

 

From inside the office everyone heard Mr. O’Neill meekly say, “Very well.”

 

Amy thought the voice sounded vaguely familiar. Stopping at the door for a second, she waited to see if her suspicions would be confirmed. A moment later she got the surprise of her life when she saw Mr. O’Neill come out.

 

“There you are Skinny.” Ms. Barch said.

 

Mr. O’Neill bowed his head. “Sorry Janet.”

 

“TIM!?” Amy said.

 

Turning to the voice, Mr. O’Neill couldn’t believe his eyes. “Amy?” he said. “Is that really you?”

 

Amy nodded.

 

“It’s been a long time.”

 

Still in shock, all Mr. O’Neill could say was, “It sure has.”

 

“Timothy? Do you know this woman?” Ms. Barch asked.

 

Nodding, he said, “Yes. We knew each other many years ago when I was a college student. We had something unique that ended suddenly. It was a great loss to me.” Looking at Amy he smiled. Finally noticing her arm around Quinn he asked. “Amy is this…”

 

Smiling, Amy said, “Yes Tim. This is Quinn. Your daughter.”

 

After all the shocks today this was the prizewinner for Daria. In spite of all her efforts to absorb this bit of information she found herself lacking and did the only thing left to her. She fainted.

 

When she finally regained consciousness, Daria saw Helen and Ms. Barch staring at her.

 

“Daria? Are you okay?” Helen asked.

 

Slowly getting up, Daria said, “I guess so. Just clear something up for me. Did I hear what I thought I heard?”

 

As she became completely vertical, Daria saw Aunt Amy, Quinn, and Mr. O’Neill all standing in a corner talking to each other. “Never mind.” She said. “I guess I heard right.”

 

Before anything else could be said, Ms. Barch spoke up.

 

“That’s the woman who broke his heart? She doesn’t look like Skinny’s type.”

 

This took Daria by surprise once more. “You mean you knew about this?” She asked.

 

“Of course Daria. We all did. He’s never made any secret about his long lost daughter.”

 

“I never heard about it.”

 

Ms. Barch grinned.

 

“Well this was grownup talk Daria. You didn’t know because you’re still a kid.”

 

Daria gave Ms. Barch a cross look.

 

“Oh. I see.”

 

Just then, Quinn came over to where they were.

 

“Mom and my, uh, dad, I guess, want to talk.” She said. “Can I get a ride home with you? I’m really not in a mood for food right now.”

 

“Of course Quinn. You can ride home with us if you want.” Turning to look at Daria, Helen asked, “Daria do you want to get a sandwich or something on the way back?”

 

Daria hadn’t really considered anything food wise for a while but the thought of Mr. O’Neill being her uncle really killed any appetite she had. Looking at her mom she said, “No. I’ll get something at the house.”

 

“Very well.” Helen said. Looking at her sister, she saw Amy nod that everything was okay and she should go on without her. “Okay you two. Let’s leave them to talk.”

 

As they walked out of the school building, Quinn turned and said, “See you later Mom.” Looking at Mr. O’Neill she wondered if she should say anything. Since she couldn’t think of anything, she just turned and followed Helen and Daria.

 

About an hour later, Daria was sitting in her room reading a magazine when Quinn stuck her head in. “Um. Hey.”

 

Lowering the magazine, Daria looked at her cousin. “Yes?”

 

“May I come in? I won’t get in your way.”

 

While they had never really gotten along when they were younger, Daria had noticed Quinn was different now and she also felt sorry for her after the big reveal earlier. Figuring she should be nice for the moment, she said, “Okay.”

 

Closing the door behind her, Quinn sat in the chair at the desk while Daria returned to her reading. After a minute, Quinn asked, “Do you have any more magazines?”

 

Daria gestured to a pile of books in the corner and Quinn went over to browse through them.  As she did, Daria looked on with interest. She wondered what Quinn would pick. All her magazines were more serious in nature than the usual teen targeted stuff she undoubtedly liked. Because of this assumption, Daria was shocked when Quinn selected one of her favorite literary magazines and sat back down to read a story or two. Figuring the time had finally come, she asked, “Okay I give up. Who are you and what did you do to my cousin?”

 

Quinn looked at Daria.

 

“Pardon?”

 

“I mean. When we lived together in Highland you were more interested in playing with your friends and what boys could do for you.” Daria said. “Since I saw you this morning all you have done is stick next to me and act totally opposite of how I remember you. I have to admit that has me more than a little confused. So level with me. What’s happening?”

 

Quinn sat there for a second and let Daria’s question sink in. Without warning, she burst into tears. Not knowing what to do, Daria sat up on the edge of the bed for a second and decided what to say. She wanted to prevent making things any worse. Finally, she said, “Sorry Quinn. Didn’t mean to upset you.”

 

As she sniffled, Quinn looked around for a tissue.

 

“They’re on the bookcase.” Daria said.

 

Reaching over, Quinn grabbed the box and said, “Thanks.”

 

“So do you want to talk about it?” Daria asked. “I’ll understand if you say no.”

 

“You really want to know?”

 

“Isn’t that why you came in here?” Daria asked. “To talk.” 

 

Quinn nodded. It was true. She didn’t figure she could hide her intentions from Daria anyhow. Taking a deep breath, she said, “Yea it is. But I want you to tell me if I talk too much okay?”

 

Once more Daria was surprised. The tough thing used to be getting Quinn to shut up. Now she’s asking for help in doing it. “Okay.” She said. “Go ahead.”

 

Sighing, Quinn looked at Daria. “It’s all too much. This was supposed to be a simple weekend to get to know Lawndale but things have gone crazy all of the sudden.”

 

Holding up her hand to stop Quinn, Daria asked, “Get to know Lawndale? What do you mean?”

 

“You mean you don’t know?”

 

Daria shook her head.

 

“Mom’s in town for an interview tomorrow morning. She’s said the job’s a lock but they wanted to meet her personally before making a formal offer. In a few weeks we’re moving here.” Quinn said. Looking at Daria for any response she waited a few seconds before giving up. “You really didn’t know that?”

 

Once more, Daria shook her head. Finally, she worked up a question.

 

“So are you two planning on moving in with us again?”

 

Smiling, Quinn said, “No you can rest easy this time. Mom said we’re finally going to buy a house. It’s why I was asking about where things were when we walked to the school. You don’t have to worry. You won’t have to share your room or your precious canopy bed with me.”

 

Before the discussion became a personality conflict, Daria changed the subject.

 

“Okay great. But I’m sure that isn’t what’s really on your mind. Like you said, Things seem to have suddenly gone crazy.”

 

“You’re right.” Quinn said. “I always wondered what my father was like but never expected to find him. At least not like this. I mean when Mom and I lived with all of you, I always a little jealous you knew who your dad was and what he did. Getting to know my father was something I dreamed about but never thought it would actually happen, at least not this way. ” Pausing for a moment, Quinn waited to gather her thoughts and hoped Daria would chime in. When she didn’t, Quinn spoke again. “Do you know him?”

 

Daria wondered if Quinn would ask her that. Not really knowing where to begin, she decided to stick to the basics.

 

“Yea. He’s been my English teacher for the last year. More than likely I’ll have him for classes the next two as well.”

 

“What can you tell me about him.”

 

Daria thought for a second. She knew more than she figured Quinn would want to hear. While people felt she never cared about others feelings, Daria never wanted to hurt anyone. Figuring Quinn would learn the facts over time, she decided to hold back and merely stick with the basics.

 

“Well I can’t tell you much but I can give you the basics…”

 

For the next half hour, Daria told Quinn what she knew and tried to answer any questions. From time to time she had to lie and say she didn’t know the answer. Soon she felt she’d shared enough and looked at Quinn.

 

“That’s all I know. Really. Sorry I can’t help more.”

 

Smiling, Quinn said, “It’s okay. I know more from the past few questions than I’ve known for the past fifteen years. Mom never told me anything about him. You’ve made me very happy. He sounds nice.”

 

“Well he’s harmless.” Daria said. “For the most part anyway” she thought

 

A second later, Helen stuck her head through the door.

 

“Quinn, I thought I’d find you here. Your Mom’s back now. She wants to talk to you in private.”

 

Turning to look at her aunt, Quinn asked, “Is my father here?”

 

Helen shook her head.

 

“No. He dropped your mom off and left. She wants to speak to you in private.”

 

“Okaaay.” Quinn said. Getting up, she walked through the doorway and stopped for a second, looking back at Daria, she said, “Thanks for talking with me.”

 

Daria nodded slightly.

 

Once Quinn was gone, Helen looked at her daughter.

 

“So you two are getting along now?”

 

“In a sense.” Daria said. “She wanted to know a little about Mr. O’Neill. I gave her just the basics.”

 

“Oh okay.” Helen said.

 

Looking at Helen. Daria asked, “Is it really true. Is he really Quinn’s father?”

 

Nodding, Helen said, “It seems so.”

 

“Sorry about passing out earlier. I didn’t expect that much of a shock.”

 

Helen smiled.

 

“At least you’re feeling better now.”

 

“Yea. But how can I go to class anymore. I mean, Uncle Timothy? That’s almost too creepy.”

 

“You’ll have to work it out somehow.” Helen said, “You still have another week of school, and two more years after that. You can’t avoid him forever.”

 

Daria sighed.

 

“I guess you’re right. But still. You have to admit it’s going to take some adjusting. By the way, why didn’t you tell me Aunt Amy and Quinn were planning on moving here.”

 

“You mean I didn’t?” Helen asked. “I thought I had. I’m so sorry. But don’t worry. They’re not going to live with us again. I love my sister but that’s a situation we can avoid now.”

 

“It’s okay.” Daria said. “No harm done.”

 

Suddenly Helen realized something.

 

“You haven’t had dinner yet have you? Do you want something?”

 

Shaking her head, Daria said, “No thanks. I still haven’t recovered my appetite. I’ll get something later. Right now all I want to do is finish this article.”

 

“Very well Sweetie. But if you change your mind let me know and I’ll get you a sandwich or make you something quick. Okay?”

 

“Okay Mom.”

 

Helen closed the door and left her daughter to her thoughts.

 

It began to get late. Several hours had passed with everyone wrapped up in their own thoughts or discussing things with their mother. Daria had long ago quit reading her magazine and was now watching a bad movie. Sitting there staring at the screen she figured the dance was over. Jane and the rest of the Harpies were probably packing up and trying to wring a check out of Ms. Li. Looking at the clock she decided to give Jane another hour before trying to call. She needed to talk to someone and Jane was the only one she felt she could share her real feelings about this with. Her only concern was how would she take the shocking news. She knew if she asked, Jane would keep quiet about it but if she passed out would Jane act any different? Since this wasn’t something to be broadcast over a cel phone, she’d just wait until Jane was back at her house. Laying there rolling all her thoughts around in her mind, it took a moment for her to hear the faint knocking on the door.

 

“Yes?”

 

Opening the door, Quinn came in with a pillow and blanket under her arm

 

“Hey Daria.” She said, “Mom and I got through talking. I don’t really feel like sleeping with her tonight. Can I sleep in your room? I’ll stay on the floor and be quiet. You won’t know I’m here. I promise.”

 

Feeling pity for her, Daria said, “Uh sure. But why don’t you use one of the sleeping bags? They’re more comfortable.”

 

“I don’t know where they are.”

 

Deciding she’d been through enough, Daria got up. “Wait here. I’ll get one out of the garage.” She said. Stopping for a second, she looked at Quinn. “I’m not really watching the movie. If you want to change the channel it’s okay.”

 

Grateful that Daria was being so nice to her, Quinn said, “Thanks. I’ll see what’s on.”

 

Walking down the stairs, Daria realized she wouldn’t get to talk to Jane tonight after all. She figured it wasn’t that bad. She sort of liked this new Quinn and felt a little sorry for her. Tonight she’d be nice, tomorrow she’d be herself again. Once downstairs she started to go into the kitchen to go to the garage when she heard Aunt Amy talking to someone.  It took a second to recognize the voice but when she finally did, she stopped before they saw her. Standing there, she listened to some of the conversation before deciding whether she should interrupt them.

 

 “So Tim.” Amy said. “What are we going to do now?”

 

“I really don’t know.” He replied. “I’m still in shock at seeing my daughter after all these years. I never thought I’d ever see her.” Before he could continue, Daria heard him start crying. That made her mind up, she was definitely not going in there now. In spite of that, she stayed there a few minutes more eavesdropping. Leaning against the wall next to the door, she heard Amy speak again.

 

“Here, take a tissue.”

 

“Thanks Amy.”

 

“Tim. We’ve been talking for a few hours now and I want to ask a question.”

 

After hearing him blow his nose, Daria heard him say. “Of course.”

 

“Explain something to me if you don’t mind.”

 

“What?”

 

Daria’s stoic exterior and seclusion was almost betrayed by uncontrolled laughter when she heard Amy’s question.

 

“When did you become such a woman?”

 

She could hear Mr. O’Neill’s shock.

“What!?”

 

“No offense Tim but when I met you all those years ago you were a confident young man finishing his junior year of college and looking forward to getting into graduate school. It was your confidence that convinced me to break my rule and fall for a much younger man. Now over fifteen years later I meet you and you’re some feel good wishy-washy goofball. What happened?”

 

“A lot of things made me what I am now.” He said. “Once you left me after telling me you were pregnant I became depressed. After all I never knew if I’d ever see my child. It was because of that that I began trying to make a difference and learned about all my new age therapies. I have a question too.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why did you hide Quinn from me for so long?”

 

Daria heard Amy sigh.

 

“I didn’t try to hide her. I was much older than you and you were just starting your life.” She said. “I didn’t want you to throw that away for the sake of Quinn. Several years after she was born I did make an attempt to find you but the alumni association had no record of where you had gone. From time to time I checked in there but they never heard from you.”

 

“Yea.” Mr. O’Neill said, laughing slightly. “I guess I should have filled out one of their questionnaires.”

 

“It would have made finding you easier.”

 

“True. Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” Amy said. “Now that we’ve finally caught up, we need to work out the details about you formally meeting Quinn.”

 

Things were quickly getting uncomfortable for Daria. Her stance made her right leg start falling asleep. Shifting her weigh to remedy the problem, she accidentally knocked over an umbrella. The noise wasn’t much but still loud enough that Mr. O’Neill heard it.

 

“What was that?” he asked.

 

“One second.” Amy said. “I’ll check.”

 

Hearing the chair slide away from the table, Daria knew she didn’t want to get caught snooping. Quickly she ran upstairs. Hiding at the top of the steps out of site, she heard Amy say, “It was nothing, an umbrella fell over.”

 

Rushing to her room, she jumped on her bed and hid under the covers.

 

Shocked at the commotion, Quinn looked at Daria.

 

“Where’s the sleeping bag?”

 

Pulling the spread from around her head, Daria said, “I couldn’t find it.” Grabbing the comforter, she tossed it at Quinn.

 

“Here use this. I’ll be fine with just the blanket.”

 

Fumbling with the comforter, Quinn said, “Uh thanks. Just one more question.”

 

“What?”

 

“Do you normally sleep in your jeans and sandals or is this a special occasion?”

 

Daria scowled at Quinn. “I’ll change in a second. Okay?”

 

“Whatever you want.” Quinn said. “It’s your bed.”

 

After about an hour, both young women went to bed. It took a while for them to get the thoughts of earlier events to slow down enough to allow sleep but eventually the strain of the day caught up and they both got a decent amount of rest. Since it was Saturday, neither got up very early. About mid morning Daria opened her eyes to see Quinn leaning against her closet door reading another magazine.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this Quinn.” Daria thought.

 

Noticing the movement, Quinn looked up from her reading.

 

“Hey Daria. I woke up about a half-hour ago. I hope you don’t mind me reading another magazine. It helps me wake up.”

 

Sitting up on the edge of the bed, Daria said, “Of course not. Just don’t take it with you. Okay?”

“Don’t worry.” Quinn said. “I’ll probably have this issue in the mailbox when I get back to the apartment. I’ll finish reading it then.”

 

Putting on her glasses, Daria leaned over and stared at Quinn.

 

“What are you doing?” Quinn asked.

 

“Just checking to make sure you’re really my cousin.” Daria said. “You’ve definitely changed since I last saw you.”

 

“I didn’t change Daria. I started growing up. I can’t stay a kid forever. After all, there’s more to life than boys, music and clothes.”

 

“Is that why you’re wearing that green jacket and military boots?” Daria asked.  

 

“Sort of.” Quinn said. “I just quit worrying about how I looked. If people like me it’s because of who I am and not what I look like. Plus the jacket and skirt are very comfortable and the boots are cool.”

 

“If you’re okay with it I guess I am too.” Daria said. “Although I’d do something about the hair. It’s got great potential. It looks like you don’t even try to give it any body though. I mean it just lifeless and brown. Surely you could make it bouncier.”

 

“Probably. But I don’t really have much success in that department.” Looking at Daria’s hair, she continued, “After all not everybody can have beautiful long read hair like you.”

 

“Thanks.” Daria said. “But you could still give it some life.” Getting up, she went to the dresser and got out her favorite shirt, the pink one with the butterfly on it and set it on the bed. Grabbing her robe, she looked at Quinn. “Well I’m going to take a shower. If you go downstairs, tell Mom I’ll be down soon.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Leaving the bedroom, Daria went down the hall and past the old bedroom with the creepy padded walls. Looking at the door, she shuddered slightly and went into the bathroom.

 

A little while later, a now dressed Daria went into the kitchen. After making a bowl of cereal, she sat at the table between Helen and Quinn. Looking at her mom, she asked, “Where’s Aunt Amy?”

 

“At her interview.” Helen said.

 

“After she gets back. We’re going to go meet my father.” Quinn said.

 

Sensing Quinn was nervous, Daria decided to let her guard down a little more and be supportive.

 

“I hope it goes okay.”

 

Laughing slightly, Quinn said, “Me too. I never thought it would ever happen. Now that it is I’m a little scared.”

 

“That’s understandable Dear.” Helen said. “After all it’s new to all of us. Just remember you aren’t alone here. None of you expected this. Just be yourself and I’m sure things will be okay.”

 

“Thanks Aunt Helen. I’m sure they will.”

 

After that, nobody had anything else to add. Wrapped in their thoughts they sat there in silence for a while. Eventually Quinn got up.

 

“Well if you’ll excuse me. If I’m going to meet my father I want to be ready. I’m going to take a shower. Okay?”

 

“Of course.” Helen said. “The towels are under the sink.”

 

“Thanks,” Quinn said and left the room. After she was gone, Daria turned to look at Helen.

 

“So how’s Aunt Amy doing?”

 

“She’s taking it in stride. It’s been a shock but she has to try to stay focused on her interview. After that she can try to deal with this turn of events.”

 

“Yea. She does seem to have a lot to deal with right now.” Daria said. “Hope her interview goes okay.”

 

Helen smiled at Daria.

 

“Don’t worry about that Daria. We Barksdale women can handle anything. She’ll be fine.”

 

“If you say so Mom.”

  

Later on, after Amy had returned, all four women were sting in the living room. Amy was telling them about the interview and how they had offered the job immediately after the meeting ended. She said they would be visiting again in about two weeks to go house hunting and would likely be moving to Lawndale by the end of the month. Turning to look at Daria Quinn asked, “Is it okay if I stay with you some more? That is until we get a house of our own.”

 

“I guess.” Daria said. “If it gets to be too much we could always put up a bed in the other room. Hope you don’t mind padded walls.”

 

“It sounds cool.” Quinn said with enthusiasm. “Are there bars on the windows too?”

 

Daria nodded.

 

“Cool! I’d like to see that.”

 

Just then the doorbell rang.   

 

Helen stood up.

 

“I’ll get it.”

 

Looking through the peephole, Helen turned to look at her sister.

 

“Amy it’s for you.”

 

Knowing what that meant, Amy sighed and said, “Thanks.” Getting up she opened the door.

 

“Hey Tim. Come in.”

 

After entering, Mr. O’Neill followed Amy into the living room. Once there, they went over to the chair where Quinn was sitting. Looking at their daughter, Amy said, “Quinn. This is Tim. He’s your father. Tim this is Quinn.”

 

Standing up, Quinn stepped back slightly to get some space, looking at him, she said, “Um hi uh…” Not knowing what to call him. She decided to just greet him and figure it out later. “Uh hey.”

 

Before Quinn could realize what was happening, Mr. O’Neill reached over and hugged her tightly. As the shock wore off she heard him sobbing uncontrollably. Standing there powerless to move in his grasp, Quinn thought, “This is the man who gave me life? What a wuss.”

 

Finally managing to pry herself away, Quinn looked at her father.

 

“Uh I appreciate the fact this is an emotional moment but until we get to know each other better could you not hug me like that again?”

 

Stunned at her response, Mr. O’Neill said, “I uh guess so. Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” Quinn said. “No harm done.”

 

“No harm done?” Daria thought. “I wish I hadn’t seen that. I’ve got two more years looking at him and it’s not going to be easy shaking that image from my brain.” Getting up, she looked at everyone and said, “Well I’m going to go upstairs for a while. I need to get ready. Jane doesn’t have a gig tonight so she wants to go see a movie. I need to see if it’s still on.”

 

It was then that Mr. O’Neill finally noticed Daria.

 

“Oh hello. Sorry I didn’t see you. I had other things on my mind.”

 

“It’s okay.” Daria said. “I’m not the reason for your visit. Now if you’ll excuse me.”

 

Before anyone could say anything, Daria went to her room. Sitting on her bed, He reached over and hugged her green stuffed dinosaur and wondered whether she should tell Jane about this when they finally met up. After all, news like this spreads pretty fast. All she would be doing is starting the gossip mill. Putting it out of her mind, she figured the first thing to do is see if the movie was still on for the evening. Picking up the phone from where she had left it when Quinn gave it to her the night before, she dialed. After a few rings, Jane answered. Yawning, she said, “Hello?”

 

“Hey Jane. Sorry to wake you…”

 

About thirty minutes later, Daria went downstairs, Helen was sitting alone in the living room watching the news. Turning to where Daria was, she said, “Hey Sweetie. Are you going to meet Jane now?”

 

Nodding, Daria said, “Yes. We’re going to get some pizza and catch the first showing. I’ll be back early.” Pausing for a moment, she figured she should at least comment a little about the situation.

 

“So I guess they’ll be gone a while then.”

 

“Probably.” Helen said. “After all. They have a lot of time to catch up on.”  Looking At Daria she asked, “You aren’t going to talk to Jane about this are you?”

 

Shaking her head, Daria said, “No. I thought about it and decided things would likely get out soon enough. If Jane says anything, I’ll say only what I need to. Other than that I’ll keep quiet until I have to say something.”

 

Helen smiled.

 

“That’s probably for the best.” After all, we don’t have the whole story either. Much of what we could say might be misinterpreted.”

 

“Good point.” Daria said. Looking at her watch, she continued, “Well I have to meet Jane in fifteen minutes. I need to get going.”

 

“Have fun Daria.” Speaking up to stop her daughter before she got out of the door, Helen asked, “Do you have any money to pay for the show?”

 

Reaching into her pocket, Daria pulled out a five and a few ones.

“Yea. I have enough. I found this in a jacket pocket while getting dressed this morning.” Realizing she might Miss Aunt Amy she said, “In case I don’t get back before they leave, tell them bye for me.”

 

Once more, Helen smiled.

 

“Don’t worry Sweetie, you’ll be back before they leave. Because of what happened, they’re staying tonight too. They won’t be leaving until tomorrow morning.”

 

“Oh.” Daria said. “In that case, I might be a little later then. Jane wants me to look over some lyrics before she shows them to Monique. I was going to do it tomorrow but this will get it over with sooner.”

 

Helen laughed. In one of the moments when Daria shared her life with her she discovered how bad a lyricist Jane was. After hearing a few recitations of examples, Helen understood completely why Daria wanted to get that task over with as early as possible.  

 

“Well I really need to go.” Daria said. “I’ll be back in a few hours.”

 

“Bye Sweetie. Have fun.”

 

Daria caught up with Jane right on time. Because it took longer to get to the Pizza King, Daria was ten minutes late and Jane showed up twenty minutes earlier than Daria expected so they had timed it perfectly. Sitting there eating, Jane noticed Daria seemed more distracted than normal. Finally having enough of the silence, Jane spoke up.

 

“So how was the visit?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Your Aunt and cousin. How was their visit.”

 

“Oh. Okay.” Daria said. “Why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why are you so interested?”

 

This shocked Jane slightly. Daria wasn’t one to talk very much but she never really got defensive around her. There had to be some reason for her friend’s behavior.

 

“No real reason.” Jane said. “Just trying to make conversation. Is there something I should know?”

 

Wondering if she should spill the beans to Jane, Daria looked around the restaurant. There was Kevin and Brittany in the booth across from them. Sitting at a table nearby and well within earshot were the three fashion fiends. There were others she knew as well. Realizing none of them would keep anything they overheard to themselves, she decided to keep quiet.

 

“Not really. It’s just that the visit isn’t over. They’re staying one more night. They won’t be leaving until tomorrow.”

 

“Oh I see.” Jane said. She suspected there was more to it than that but she didn’t want to pry. “Are you about done? If so let’s pay and get to the theater, I want to try to get my favorite seat.”

 

“Sure.”

 

The rest of the evening was spent in silence. There were brief moments of conversation but nothing of any real importance. After the movie, Daria decided she wasn’t in the mood to review Jane’s lyrics and decided to call it a night. Looking at her friend, she said, “Sorry but I’m just going to go home. I’ll catch up with you tomorrow sometime okay?”

 

“I understand I guess.” Jane said, “Do you want me to drive you home?”

 

Realizing that Mr. O’Neill might be at the house, Daria felt it was too risky having to explain why he was there. “No thanks. I want to walk. It’s a nice night and I need to think some.”

 

“If you insist.” Jane said. “I’ll see you later.”

 

“Yea. Later.” Daria said and turned to head home.

 

When she got to the house, Amy and Quinn were back but Mr. O’Neill was nowhere to be seen. Before she could get caught up in a conversation, she excused herself and went to her room. Sitting there, she let her mind move back to the current situation. Just like the night before, her thoughts were interrupted by Quinn opening the door.  

 

“Daria?”

 

“Yes Quinn?”

 

“I’m going to have to spend several hours with Mom in the car tomorrow. I don’t really want to stay with her tonight. May I sleep here again?”

 

“I guess.” Looking over, She saw the pillow and comforter still on the floor. “Your stuff is still there. Or do you want the sleeping bag tonight?”

 

Quinn shook her head.

 

“No, it’s okay. The comforter will be fine. But thanks for being so nice.”

 

“Yea. Sure. No problem.”

 

Quinn looked at Daria.

 

“So aren’t you going to ask?”

 

“Ask what?”

“How things went today.”

 

Daria had avoided the topic on the grounds that the less she knew the happier she’d be. Realizing that was no longer an option, she decided to ask.

 

“Okay so how did it go?’

 

“Pretty good. He seems nice enough although he’s definitely NOT what I’d expected him to be like. The little bit that Mom said about him over the years made him sound more, uh, normal.”

 

“So are you going to see him again?” Daria asked.

 

“I have no choice. Like you said he’s the English teacher here.” Quinn said. “We’re going to meet a few more times over the summer after we move here. Mom’s going to be with us at first until we get to know each other better, eventually though we’ll spend time alone.”

 

“Sounds nice.” Daria said.

 

Quinn rubbed the back of her neck nervously.

 

“I guess. I wish I were happier about this. I guess nothing could have met my expectations though.”

 

“Probably not.” Daria said. Deciding to change the subject, she picked up the remote and cut the TV on. “Wanna watch some TV?”

 

“I guess.” Quinn said. “What’s on?”

 

Daria replied, “Don’t know. We’ll find something though. We just got a satellite dish.”

 

Just like the night before, the two young ladies stayed up late, but unlike the night before, they talked a little about their lives. If they were going to be living in the same town one more, they needed to start getting to know each better. Eventually the discussion ended and they went to bed. Unlike the night before, they were more comfortable with the situation and went straight to sleep.

 

The next morning, Amy roused both of them out of slumber when she told Quinn they needed to get going. After a little stumbling around, Quinn managed to get all her stuff together and make it downstairs. As the four women stood there they all said their respective goodbyes. Eventually Quinn went over to where Daria was.

 

“Uh Thanks for being so cool about everything this weekend. I appreciate it. Sorry is I was a pain.”

 

Daria shrugged, “No problem. Um look. When you come back in a few weeks. You’re welcome to stay in my room. I’ll even remember to bring the sleeping bag in from the garage next time.”

 

Quinn laughed.

 

“Okay Thanks.”

 

Amy looked at her daughter and asked, “So Quinn. You ready to go?”

 

“I guess.”


Helen and Daria followed them onto the porch and watched them drive away. As the car vanished from their site, Daria wondered what the conversation home would be like. It had to be more than just about the weather to be sure. Figuring she’d never know, she quit thinking about it and went inside to get dressed for the day.

 

Not too much later, she heard the garage door open, a minute after that she heard Jake’s voice and went downstairs in time to hear Helen say, “Not now. You smell like a pond. Get those stinky fish out of here and take a shower.”

 

Entering the kitchen, she interrupted the exchange before it erupted into the usual play fight.

 

“Hey Dad.”

 

“Hey Kiddo.”

 

“Have a good visit with your cousin Quinn?”

 

“It was interesting.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Looking at her watch, Daria said, “I really need to get to Jane’s. I’ll tell you later.”

 

The End.

 

As always, Daria belongs to MTV. This was written for my own amusement.