Junior 5

 

Standing there sorting the hangars before heading to the back, Teresa saw the contingent coming toward her. Each one of them with their arms loaded with several items. Quickly, she set the box down behind the counter and got ready to ring up their selections. A sale beats housekeeping any time. Sandi was the first to reach her. As the others waited, she tallied up all the garments and looked at Sandi.

 

“Okay. Your total is $44.67.”

 

Sandi just stared at her with a look of utter disbelief. Finally, she said, “Excuse me. I think you are mistaken.” Pointing to the banner, she continued, “It clearly states that everything is twenty five percent off this week.”

 

Apparently Sandi didn’t understand. “I’m sorry.” Teresa said. “That’s only if you’re a senior. For everyone else everything is regular price.”

 

Raising an eyebrow, Sandi looked Teresa directly in the eyes. “I see.” She said. “Surely you can make an exception for some of your best customers. After all, now that graduation is over, we’re seniors.”

 

Teresa shook her head.

 

“Sorry but it doesn’t work that way. I can’t make exceptions.” Looking at the clothes on the counter, she asked. “Do you still want these?”

 

Placing her hands on her hips, Sandi said, “I WANT them, but if you’re not going to cooperate with us, I’ll have to say no.” Turning to look at the rest of the fashion club, she said, “Come on ladies. We’re obviously not considered valued customers anymore. Let’s go to JJ Jeters. I’m sure they’ll be happy to see us. And they’ll definitely be more accommodating.”

 

Single file, the three other members went to the counter and piled their choices in front of Teresa. Tiffany and Stacy said nothing as they dropped the garments. Quinn however looked up briefly. As Teresa looked down at her, Quinn said, in a low tone, “Sorry.” Seeing how embarrassed she was Teresa let her off the hook with a quick smile and nod.

 

After watching the foursome leave, she gathered up the clothes and went to returning them to the proper racks. As she placed everything in its proper location she couldn’t help noticing the young lady sorting through the sweaters. Although she had never seen her before there was something oddly familiar about her. Not being able to place what it was, she stopped her activity and went over to see if she could be any help.

 

“Hello.”

 

Looking up from the rack, the young woman turned her focus toward Teresa.

 

“Uh, hi.”

 

“Can I help you?”

 

The young lady held up a gift card and showed it to Teresa.

 

“My aunt gave this to me as a graduation present. The service desk won’t let me redeem it for cash so I guess I’ll be updating my wardrobe before heading off this fall.”

 

Teresa couldn’t help but be amused.

 

“Ah. I see.” She said. “Well if that’s the case, have you decided on anything you would like to try on?”

 

Shaking her head no, the young lady said, “Not really. I’m not really good at fashion things. My wardrobe is very limited to very specific items. I’ve worn the same stuff for a long time.”

 

Smiling, Teresa nodded in understanding.

 

“That’s no problem. I’m sure we can find something that would meet your tastes.” Pausing for a moment, she waited to see a reaction. When she didn’t see one she continued. “I really would like to help you, uh…”

 

“Daria.” The young woman said.

 

“Very good Daria. My name is Teresa. Now tell me, what do you normally wear?”

 

Daria held out her arms, looked directly at Teresa, and said, “This.”

 

For the next several minutes the two discussed Daria’s tastes. For the most part Teresa asked questions in an attempt to determine the best way to find something right for Daria. As she continued talking the earlier feeling that there was something familiar about her grew stronger but she just could not figure out what it was. Regardless, the more she learned about her new customer the more she realized Daria was looking to do more than add to her wardrobe. She really was looking to change her image. It wasn’t unusual. She was a senior getting ready to head off to school. There was no better time to put the past behind her and start life with a clean slate. Teresa had been there once herself.  She knew she could help Daria.

 

After a few questions, Teresa learned enough about Daria’s tastes to have a good idea of what might be acceptable for her. Taking a few things off a rack, she showed them to Daria one at a time. As Daria reviewed the selections, she agreed to try a few but rejected most of them. There were a few times when Teresa asked her to reconsider a choice or two and, just to be polite, Daria agreed to try them as well. Soon, the duo had a number of items together and ready for Daria to head to a changing room.

 

Coming out each time, Daria inspected herself in the mirror. For the most part she did not like the clothes she was wearing. While they looked good on a hangar, they just looked wrong when on her. Not having shopped for clothes very often, she felt frustrated by the procedure. Although there were a few pieces she did like, she was getting fed up very fast. Coming out wearing the last choice, she once more looked in to a mirror to see what she looked like.

 

“Now that looks very nice.” Teresa said, “The green suits you perfectly. I think what was throwing you of so much was that you were trying to go for a completely new look. Perhaps you should start with a gradual change. This suit looks great. The best so for.”

 

Daria turned to inspect herself one more time.

 

“You really think so? I don’t know. I do like this one the best of all but it still seems strange somehow.”

 

This was the opportunity Teresa needed.

 

“Perhaps it’s the boots.” She said. “They really don’t go with most of the things you tried on. Another pair of shoes, or some different boots, would really change the way the outfits look.”

 

“I don’t know.” Daria said. “I’ve had these boots a long time. They are as much a part of me as my glasses. I just can’t see getting rid of them. I mean they are the only shoes I own.”

 

This knocked Teresa for a loop.

 

“You mean you don’t own any other shoes?”

 

Daria shook her head.

 

“Just a pair of gym sneakers.”

 

“Well perhaps it is time for a new pair of shoes. If you feel more comfortable with boots perhaps another pair of them.”

 

“It would be tough. I just can’t put these away for good like that. They mean a lot to me.”

 

Teresa smiled.

 

“I’m not saying you should get rid of them. That’s the last thing you should do. They look great. It’s just if you are trying to change your look it might be a good idea to start with your shoes.”

 

Once more, Daria shook her head.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Well just think about it. Some day you will have to replace your boots. It would be better to do it gradually rather than to lose them with nothing for a backup.”

 

Daria had to admit it made sense.

 

“Perhaps you’re right.” She said. Turning to look at the mirror once more, she continued, “I guess I’ll take this and the other things we picked. Let me change and we’ll put this stuff back.”

 

Smiling, Teresa said, “Don’t worry about returning these to the rack, that’s my job. I’ll take all these things while you change back into your other clothes. You can meet me at the register with that one. Then we’ll get you checked out.”

 

Gathering up all the items that had been set aside, Teresa went to the register to wait for Daria to come pay for everything. While there were several pieces in the pile, she was sure that the gift card, combined with the graduating senior discount would be more than enough to pay for it all. At least she hoped it would. Daria seemed like a nice girl and she really felt like the choices she helped her make were a good start for her. As she stood there folding everything she heard familiar voices approaching.

 

“She was quite firm when she said we didn’t qualify.” Quinn said.

 

“That may well be but she may also have had to say that. Perhaps she was being watched by one of those security cameras.” Sandi replied. “I’m sure if I talk to her some more I can convince her to let us have the discount. We may not have graduated yet but we are seniors.”

 

While Tiffany and Stacy remained silent through this discussion, Quinn was brave enough to respond.

 

“If you say so but I doubt she’ll let us have it. She has to follow the rules. If she doesn’t she could get fired or something.”

 

“Rules are made to be broken. Especially for some of their best customers.” Sandi said.

 

Quinn sighed. There was no arguing with Sandi when she got an idea stuck in her head. “Maybe. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask again.” was all she could say.

 

Teresa had heard the exchange so she began working up a response to Sandi’s request. They were some of her best customers to be sure but she couldn’t give them the discount. That really was something reserved for girls like Daria. It was then she wondered where Daria was. It had been plenty of time for her to get changed and meet her to check out. Looking around, she didn’t see her anywhere. The door to the dressing room was open so she obviously wasn’t in there but she didn’t seem to be in the department at all. A moment later she saw the outfit Daria had just tried on hanging on a rack near the register. It was swinging slightly so it had obviously just been hung there. Daria must have set it there in a hurry and run off. This made Teresa curious. What could have made Daria run away like that? She seemed to be enjoying herself and at least appeared to be a little excited about her new wardrobe. Was it cold feet or something else? Before she could think about it any more, her train of thought was disrupted by Sandi’s voice.

 

Over the next few moments Sandi did her best to convince Teresa to let the four of them have the discount. On this point Teresa stood firm. Finally, just to get them out of her hair she let the cat out of the bag.

 

“I can’t let you have it but if it will make you happy I have a secret. You have to promise not to let anybody else know. DO you swear?”

 

Holding up their right hands, the four young ladies nodded and said, “We solemnly swear.”

 

“Very well.” Leaning forward, she motioned for them to come closer. After they were all near, she whispered, “Next Tuesday we’re having a special one day early bird sale. Everything in the department will be fifteen percent off. Now remember, you can’t tell a soul.” Looking at all four faces, she saw this did the trick. They had inside information. They were going to beat the crowds. She knew to really make it seem special she had to do something else. Looking at all four again she continued, “Now I don’t normally do this for everyone, but if you come in the day before, I will put three items on reserve for each of you. That way you’re sure to get the discount on the items you want the most. Okay.”

 

The four nodded excitedly as they broke the huddle. Once they were separated, Teresa looked at the foursome again.

 

“Now remember, it’s a secret. You can’t tell anyone.”

 

“We promise.” Stacy said.

 

“I guess we’ll see you in four days then.” Sandi said.

 

Teresa just nodded and watched them walk away. Breathing a sigh of relief, she also felt guilty. While she had told them about the sale early, it was only a day early. The ads would be showing up on TV and in the paper tomorrow. All she had done was feed them a line to get them out of her way. Although they were good customers they could really be a pain sometimes. When they were like that, all she wanted to do was get them away from her as quickly as possible. The trick was to do it without making them mad. Over the years she had learned what worked and what did not. Sharing a secret, even when it really wasn’t one, usually did the trick. Leaning against the counter, she noticed Daria’s outfit again. Hoping she would return to buy it later, she took it off the rack and placed it behind the counter with the other stuff. She could return it before her shift ended. Until then she would keep it safe.

 

As the hours passed, she did her job. She returned stock and helped several customers. All the while, she kept looking out for Daria. She didn’t know precisely why but she really hoped Daria would come back and get the clothes. It wasn’t just because she seemed familiar for some reason but also because Daria made her seem like she had really done something other than just peddle trendy crap to spoiled brats for yet another day. Sadly though, it didn’t look like that was going to happen. Her shift had less than an hour and Daria was nowhere to be seen. Looking at the clothes sitting behind the counter, she figured it was safe to put everything back. As she knelt down to get everything she heard a familiar voice.

 

“Uh. Excuse me.”

 

Standing up and turning around, She smiled.

 

“Daria. I’m glad to see you came back. I was worried you wouldn’t.”

 

Daria seemed a little ashamed.

 

“Uh yea. Sorry about that.” Daria said. “I uh, forgot something and had to take care of it.”

 

While she figured it was more that just that, Teresa didn’t say anything. Why she ran away was meaningless. Daria was here now and that meant she really did want the clothes they had picked out after all. Reaching down again, she picked up everything and set it on the counter.

 

“So do you still want everything you chose earlier?”

 

 It was then she saw the bag on the floor next to Daria.

 

“I see you’ve done some buying already.”

 

“Yea.” Daria said. “I thought about your suggestion and went to the shoe department. I wound up buying a new pair of boots.”

 

Teresa’s face lit up.

 

“That’s great.” She said. “Do you mind if I see what you got?”

 

Daria sighed and reached in to the bag to take the box out. Setting it on the counter, she said, “I guess so.”

 

Removing the lid, Teresa looked at the pair of boots and smiled.

 

“Very nice.” She said. “They will look great with most everything you have here.”

 

As she put the lid back and handed it to Daria she noticed that her comment definitely pleased her customer.

 

“Thanks.” Was all Daria said.

 

Turning the focus of the conversation back to the matter at hand, Teresa said, “So are you going to want everything now?”

 

Daria nodded slightly.

 

“Yea. Sure.”

 

Teresa smiled again.

 

“Well, let’s get to it then.”

 

Scanning all the tags, she got the total then took the gift card and passed it through the slot on the register. That was when a red flag came up.

 

“Oh my.”

 

“That doesn’t sound good.” Daria said.

 

“Well it depends.” Teresa replied. “It seems you don’t have enough left on the card to pay for everything. The boots must have taken most of the amount. You can still get everything here. You’ll just have to pay the difference.”

 

“How much?” Daria asked.

 

Teresa pointed to the monitor to show what the balance was. When Daria saw it she shook her head.

 

“I don’t have that much with me right now. I guess I’ll have to put some stuff back.”

 

“That’s no problem.” Teresa said. “Just pick out what you want the most and we’ll work from there.”

 

“Okay.” Daria said. Pointing at the last outfit she had tried on she said, “I’d really like that one.”

 

Teresa was afraid of that. Of all the things there, it was the most expensive.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said. “Even with the senior discount that will be more than the balance.”

 

“How much more?” Daria asked.

 

“At a guess, about twelve dollars.”

 

“That’s still more than I have with me.” Looking at the pile left she asked, “How much will the total be without that one?”

 

Scanning the tag again, Teresa pressed some buttons and looked at the monitor.

 

“Actually, without that, you still have some credit on the gift card. The other things weren’t as expensive.”

 

Once more, Daria sighed.

 

I guess I’ll have to pass on that one then.”

 

Seeing the disappointment in her face, Teresa made a suggestion.

 

“Well the sale still has a few more days. I can put this on hold for you. If you can get enough together before the sale ends the outfit will be here ready and waiting. With the credit you still have it should be a start toward getting the rest.”

 

Looking into Daria’s eyes, Teresa tried to see if that pleased her customer. For the first time since they met each other she could see no response. Eventually though, she saw Daria’s expression change to a slight smile.

 

“Sure. That would be nice. Thanks.” Daria said.

 

“No problem.”

 

Putting the outfit behind the counter once more, Teresa finished ringing everything up. Handing the bag and gift card to Daria, she said, “There you go. I hope you enjoy everything. It was nice helping you. Please feel free to come back anytime. I’ll be happy to assist you.”

 

“Thanks.” Daria said. “It was nice meeting you. I’ll try to be back to get the other outfit soon. Bye.”

 

“Bye.”

 

Teresa stood there for a few seconds as she watched Daria walk away. It was true. Of all the customers she had helped that day, Daria gave her the greatest satisfaction. Once Daria was out of sight, she went back to getting everything wrapped up before her replacement showed up.

 

With a few minutes on her shift left to go, she heard another familiar voice.

 

“Hey Teresa.”

 

“Hi Quinn. Can I help you?”

 

Holding up a shirt, Quinn said, “I just wanted to pay for this. I’m in a hurry. I have a date tonight and this is the perfect top.”

 

“You know I can’t give you the discount right?”

 

Quinn rolled her eyes.

 

“Not that again? I know. That’s Sandi’s deal. I really need this shirt. I just couldn’t get it earlier when they were all with me. Solidarity and all that kind of stuff you know. I’ll pay for it. No problem.”

 

“Sorry.” Teresa said. She was a little ashamed. Of all the four of that bunch, Quinn was the one who seemed the most practical. That wasn’t saying much but she did like helping her the most. “Okay. If you’re in a hurry let’s get you checked out.”

 

As Teresa took the shirt, Quinn saw the outfit behind her.

 

“That’s cute. Is it a return? If it is I’d like to try it on. Depending on if it’s my size that is. I have enough time for that.”

 

“I’m sorry. I promised to hold it for someone else. It’s just for a few days though. If Daria doesn’t show up before the sale ends I’ll save it for you to try then.”

 

She couldn’t believe the shocked look on Quinn’s face.

 

“Daria?!” Quinn said. “Daria who?”

 

“You know. I forgot to get her last name. But she was unforgettable. She seemed so nervous. Like she hadn’t really shopped before.”

 

“What did she look like?” Quinn asked.

 

“She was a little shorter than you, had dark hair, wore glasses and had some very different boots on. Why? Do you know her?”

 

“You could say that.” Quinn replied. “She’s my sister.”

 

This really threw Teresa for a loop.

 

“You and her? Sisters? I thought there was something familiar about her.”

 

Pointing at the outfit again, Quinn asked, “You mean she wanted that outfit?”

 

Teresa nodded.

 

“Yes. She was very disappointed when she didn’t have enough to pay for it after she got the boots.”

 

“She bought new boots too!?”

 

“That’s why I said I’d hold it for her. To let her have a chance to get enough to buy this outfit before the sale ended. She really wanted it and was let down when she didn’t have enough to get it. She seems nice. I really wanted to give her every opportunity.”

 

“Ah.” Was all Quinn could say.

 

Looking at Quinn, Teresa saw she was in deep thought. After a few seconds, she interrupted.

 

“Is everything okay.”

 

Coming out of her trance, Quinn said, “Yea sure.” Looking at the outfit again, she asked, “How much is it?”

 

Teresa could see where this was going. Smiling, she showed Quinn the tag.

 

“I don’t have enough for both that and the shirt.” Quinn said. Taking a brief pause, Quinn sighed and continued, “I’ll have to pass on the shirt. Just give me the outfit.”

 

This was a very unique for Teresa when it came to the “former” fashion club, not that she wasn’t happy to see it though. This was an action that needed to be rewarded but first she had to make sure she was rewarding the right action.

 

“Are you doing what I think you’re doing?” She asked.

 

Quinn nodded.

 

“She is my sister after all. Plus I haven’t gotten her anything for graduation yet. If she really wanted it…” Looking at Teresa she asked, “She did really want it right?”

 

“Yes. She was really let down when she couldn’t afford it.”

 

“Very well.” Quinn said. Take the shirt away. I probably have something already that will do for tonight.’ Pointing at the outfit again she said, “I’ll take that instead.”

 

Quickly doing the math in her head, Teresa smiled.

 

“You know. If I were to give you the graduating senior discount you could get both pieces.”

 

“But you said I didn’t qualify.”

 

“Well you are buying this for a graduating senior.” Teresa said. “And who’s to say you aren’t getting that for your sister as well. It will be our little secret. Okay?”

 

Quinn smiled.

 

“Sure. I won’t tell anyone. And thanks.”

 

“My pleasure.”

 

Ringing up both items, Teresa put everything in a bag and handed it to Quinn. As she did she said, I stuck a coupon in the bag for free gift-wrapping. If you’d like I’ll call down and let them know to expect you. I know you’re running tight on time but I thought you might like to have it wrapped before giving it to her.”

 

Quinn smiled.

 

“That would be great. I just hope they have a paper that Daria would like.”

 

“I’m sure they will.” Looking at her watch, she saw her shift had ended a few minutes earlier. Looking back at Quinn, she continued, “You go ahead. I’ll call before I leave from here. It really is a nice thing you’re doing.”

 

Once more Quinn smiled.

 

“Thanks. See you later.”

 

Teresa nodded and watched as Quinn walked away. Taking a second, she called the gift-wrapping department, then handed the register key to her replacement and went to the employee locker room. When she got there she saw Mary already getting her things together.

 

“Sorry I‘m late.” Teresa said. “I had to stay a little longer to help a special customer.”

 

“No problem.” Mary said. “I just got here myself. Plus you’ve waited for me many times when you were driving. I wouldn’t have abandoned you right away.”

 

Teresa laughed.

 

“I guess.” Changing the subject, she asked, “So how was your day?”

 

“Dull. Hardly anybody came in today. Of course it’s usually like that on Thursdays. How did your shift go?”

 

Smiling, Teresa said, “It was quite rewarding.”

 

The end.