Business Travel

 

Jane stood at the gate watching the people coming out of the airplane. Every few moments she looked down at the little girl jumping up and down trying to see over the desk that partially blocked the view. She was just as anxious to see Daria but, being the parent, had to curtail her enthusiasm to provide a good example for her daughter.

 

As the people filing out started becoming fewer Jane started to become concerned. Was she at the wrong gate? Did Daria get delayed for some reason? Did she miss the flight completely? Soon though her concerns were removed when, walking behind a flight attendant pushing an elderly man in a wheelchair, she saw a familiar face pulling a small bag. Before she could say or do anything the little girl broke free and ran toward Daria.

 

As she rushed the weary traveler the little girl screamed, “Daria! You made it!”

 

Seeing the tiny mass heading her way, Daria let the bag go and knelt down to receive the young lady’s greeting. As the tiny arms wrapped around her neck she hugged back and said, “Hello Jenny. It’s great to see you.” Letting go, she moved back slightly to get a good look at Jane’s little girl. “It’s hard to believe but you have gotten even prettier since the last time I saw you.”

 

Smiling at the compliment, Jenny said, “And older too.”

 

Daria smiled back. “Yes I know. You had a birthday last week didn’t you? Sorry I missed it. But don’t worry I didn’t forget. I have a surprise for you.”

 

Jenny’s eyes grew wide. “Really? What is it?”

 

Putting her hand up, Daria said, “You’ll have to wait a little while. We have to get out of here before I can give it to you.” It was sad but true. Security really looked down on that kind of behavior in airports anymore. While the gift was nothing major it would be better to avoid any possible hassles by waiting until they were safely at Jane’s house to open her suitcase.

 

Just then she looked up and saw Jane standing in the foyer looking at the scene. Standing up, she took her bag in one hand and Jenny’s hand the other. “Let’s go say hello to your Mom.”

 

Letting go of Jenny’s hand, Daria hugged Jane.

 

“Hey. Been a while.”

 

Jane smiled. “Too long. But you’re here now. That’s all that matters. Two days together beats three hundred e-mails. So you ready to go?”

 

“Nothing keeping me here.”

 

“Yea. Let’s go.” Jenny said. “The sooner we get home the sooner Daria can give me my surprise.”

 

Daria smiled and said, “She’s right you know.” Looking down, she took Jenny’s hand and started heading for the exit. Standing there for a moment, Jane watched the duo walk off and smiled at the sight before catching up with them.

 

As Jane drove the van she caught up on old times.

 

“You’re looking great. So how’s work been?”

 

“Crazy, but still fun.” Daria said. “It’s been a busy few months since the last time I was here but I’ve still been able to write some.”

 

“Yea. How’s the book coming along?” Jane asked.

 

“Pretty good. I’ve got a few more chapters since I last sent you anything.”

 

Jane was surprised. “A few more chapters!? You just sent me the last excerpts two weeks ago and you’ve written that much already?”

 

“Yea well there isn’t that much else to do. I’ve done all the tourist stuff. Now travel is just business. When I’m done with work I stay in the hotel and write. It’s a better use of my time.”

 

“At least until you can make a career as a novelist.” Jane said.

 

“I don’t know. Even if I could make a living writing I still think I’d keep working at this. I like what I’m doing.” Daria said. “It’s not what I’d planned on doing but I really do like it and I still have time to write what I want. At least it beats having to earn my stripes writing obituaries and reviews of craft fairs.”

 

Jane shrugged slightly. “I guess.”

 

“Oh yea. A funny thing happened a week ago.” Daria said. “I saw someone reading my first book on a flight I was on.”

 

“Really? That’s pretty cool. Did you talk to him?”

 

“Her actually. Guys really don’t read my type of stories but no I didn’t. I was busy and didn’t have time to go over before we landed and she got off. Still, it felt good to see someone bought the thing.”

 

“Hey! It was a great book. It takes a while to build an audience. I’m sure this next one will do even better.”

 

“Hopefully.” Daria said. “When we get to your house do you want to read what I’ve done so far?”

 

“Sure. Just do me a favor and print it out. I hate reading stuff off your laptop.”

 

“No problem there. You still have the same printer right?”

 

“Yea. And I have plenty of paper too. I just swiped two reams from the office.”

 

Daria chuckled slightly. Changing the subject she asked. “So how’s Alan doing?”

 

“He’s great. He said to apologize for not being here this weekend but, like you, he’s on the road with work.”

 

“I understand. I’d like to have seen him though. It’s been even longer than I’ve seen you and Jenny.” Turning around to look at the young lady wearing her headphones listening to who knows what Daria smiled. “It seems like she’s doubled in height since the last time I saw her.”

 

“Yea. She’s had a pretty severe growth spurt.”

 

“But she’s also getting so much prettier. She’s going to be breaking hearts in a few more years.”

 

“Bite your tongue.” Jane said. “She’s not a Quinn. Speaking of that, how is Florence Nightingale?”

 

“Good. I spoke with her last night. She’s settled in to her new position at the hospital. She really likes working in the neonatal wing. She’s really good with the babies. She said to say hello.”

 

“Well tell her I said hi the next time you talk.”

 

“Sure.” Just then Daria remembered something. “Oh I hope you don’t mind but I left your number in case I’m needed. It shouldn’t be a problem but I have to be in touch.”

 

“I’ve wondered about that.” Jane said, “You don’t you have a cell phone like normal people?”

 

“Have you ever seen roaming charges for Hong Kong? As much as I travel I’d be paying fees larger than my paycheck. The only time I get compensated is when I can prove it’s a work related call. It’s just easier to wait until I get to the hotel and pay fees there. That and the fact that e-mail is pretty much free.”

 

“Whatever you say.”

 

A few minutes later they pulled into the driveway in front of the house and all three women went inside. No sooner had they got through the door than Jenny brought up something that had been on her mind for a while. Looking up at Daria she said, “We’re home. Can I see my surprise now?”

 

Jane was about to reprimand her daughter for being so rude but before she could, Daria, smiling, nodded and said, “I guess so. If you think that you’ve waited long enough.” Putting her bag in a chair, she unzipped it, took out a wrapped box and handed it to the little lady. “Happy belated birthday. I’m just glad I could give it to you in person.”

 

Taking the box, Jenny quickly started tearing into the paper. As she proceeded to unwrap the gift, she heard her mom’s voice.

 

“What do you say to Daria?”

 

Quickly, she said, “Thank you.” Then just as quickly returned her attention to seeing what she had just been given. In short order she had the paper off and opened the box. Taking out the contents she looked it over carefully before saying anything else. Finally she found the words.

 

“It’s a notebook.”

 

“An album actually.” Daria said. “Look inside, you’ll see display pockets.”

 

“Really?” Jenny asked. Opening the book, she looked at the clear plastic pages and realized what the album was for. Smiling, she said, “Wow. This is great. I love it. Thanks. Would you like to help me put them in?”

 

“In a little while. I really want to change in to something more comfortable. Then I’ll be happy to help.”

 

“Great. I’ll go get everything ready.”

 

Turning, she ran with her new album to her room to gather everything for the time when she and Daria could start working on it.

 

“It was nice of you to give her that but your being here is a bigger gift to her.” Jane said. “She’s talked about nothing else for two weeks waiting for you to get here.”

 

“I’ve been looking forward to this weekend as well. It’s been far too long since I’ve seen either of you.” Taking her bag, Daria asked, “Is the guest room still in the same place? I really do want to get changed.”

 

Not too much later, a now more casually dressed Daria was sitting with Jenny on the sofa taking postcards out a shoebox and placing them in the pockets on each page of the album. As they did, Jenny told Daria the story behind each one. Reaching in the box, she pulled out the next card. Handing it to Daria to look at, she said, “This is the one you sent me from Paris.”

 

Inspecting the card, Daria said, “I remember. I got this one at a stand under the Eiffel Tower.”

 

“Really? That’s so cool.” Whispering, she said, “Don’t tell anyone but this is my favorite card. I don’t want Daddy to get jealous. You know he sends me postcards when he’s traveling too.”

 

Daria was amused. Alan probably wouldn’t care what was her favorite but she played along. Whispering back, she said, “I promise not to tell.”

 

Just then Jane came in to the room. Looking at the pair she asked. “I hate to interrupt your fun but it’s getting late. Are either of you hungry?”

 

Both of them nodded.

 

“I could do with some food.” Daria said.

 

“I haven’t had a chance to go to the grocery yet so we’ll have to order out.” Jane said, “What would you prefer, Chinese or…”

 

“PIZZA!” Jenny blurted out.

 

Jane reprimanded her daughter.

 

“That was very rude. You’re not supposed to interrupt people like that. Plus Daria’s our guest. She should be allowed to pick.”

 

Jenny bowed her head slightly and said, “Sorry.”

 

“You’re forgiven. This time anyway. Just start behaving better.” Turning her attention to Daria, she asked, “So what would you like for supper?”

 

“Pizza sounds great to me.” Daria said. “Believe it or not I hardly ever get a chance to have it anymore. But I insist on paying. I’m not going to be a sponge this weekend.”

 

Jane laughed. “Fine with me. I’ll go call and be back here in a minute. You two carry on as if I never bothered you.”

 

Later that evening Daria and Jane were sitting in the living room talking when Jenny came in wearing her pajamas. Going over to her Mom she said, “Night.”

 

Hugging her daughter, Jane said, “Nite Dear. Love you. Go say goodnight to Daria.”

 

Going over to Daria, Jenny hugged her.

 

“Goodnight. I’m glad you’re here.”

 

Hugging back, Daria said, “I’m glad I can see you too. Goodnight, I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

After Jenny left, Daria yawned.

 

“I think that was my cue to call it a night too. It’s been a busy day. I really could use some sleep. After all, it looks like a little girl probably has my whole day planned tomorrow.”

 

Chuckling, Jane said, “You’re probably right on that. I’m sure you’re beat. I understand. Head on up to your room. I’ll see you at breakfast.”

 

“I look forward to it.” Daria said, “You make the best frozen waffles in the state.”

 

Jane sighed.

 

“You know me too well. Well goodnight.”

 

Daria’s slumber was disturbed by Jane’s voice.

 

“Hey. There’s a call for you.”

 

Still trying to put the blurry shape she saw with the voice calling her name, Daria’s only response was, “Huh?”

 

“Phone. For you.”

 

“Oh. Thanks.”

 

Sitting up, Daria turned on the lamp and immediately regretted her action. Once her eyes finally adjusted to the light, she took the phone.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yea. I see. Sure I’ll be ready in ninety minutes.”

 

“That’s the right address. See you then.”

 

Pressing the button to hang up, Daria sat there for a minute to try to wake up.

 

“So what was that about?” Jane asked.

 

“Four flight attendants got food poisoning earlier tonight and can’t come in. They need me to come in and help with the Kansai run.”

 

Jane was confused.

 

“Why you? I thought this was your weekend off.”

 

Turning to sit on the edge of the bed, Daria looked at her friend.

 

“It is but I’m the closest senior attendant on call. Plus that was my run for over a year. I’m the most qualified to fill in. These things happen.”

 

“That may be but it still sucks.”

 

“True.” Daria said. “But it is part of the job after all. Plus it might give me more writing material.”

 

“I guess.”

 

Getting up, Daria went to her bag.

 

“You go back to bed. I’m going to take a shower and get dressed.”

 

“No. I’ll go make some coffee and toast for you. You’ll need it to wake up.” Just then Jane thought about something. “Are you going to need me to drive you to the airport?”   

 

“Thanks but no. They’re sending a driver. I just wonder what I’m going to tell Jenny.”

 

“Just tell her the truth.” Jane said. “She’ll be a little upset but she’ll understand. After all, she wants to follow in your footsteps.”

 

“After a few nights like this she might want to reconsider that.”

 

Taking her toiletry bag, Daria left for the bathroom.

 

Not too much later, Daria was sitting downstairs in her uniform waiting for her ride to show up when Jane came in with Jenny in tow. Going over to where Daria was sitting, Jenny asked, “Why are you dressed right now?”

 

“I have to go. There was an emergency and they need my help.”

 

After saying that, Daria realized how stupid that sounded. She wasn’t Wonder Woman. She was just going to work a flight.   

 

Jenny looked at her with a confused expression.

 

“But you said you would be around this weekend.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry. I have to go in and help out. It can’t be helped but I will make it up to you. In a few weeks I’ll fly back in and this time I won’t be on call. We’ll have the whole weekend. Your dad will be home then so we can all do something together. Okay?”

 

Smiling and nodding to show that was fine, Jenny asked, “Where are you going?”

 

“Japan.”

 

“Will you send me a postcard?”

 

“Of course I will.”

 

“One with dragons this time?”

 

“I’ll see what I can do.”

 

Just then there was a knock on the door. Going over, Jane looked through the peephole before answering it. The gentleman on the other side asked, “Is Ms. Morgendorffer here?”

 

Getting up, Daria took her bag and headed to the door with a little girl keeping pace behind her. Before leaving she stopped and bent down to give Jenny one more hug.

 

“I’m sorry I have to go but I’ll see you soon.

“You promise?”

 

“I promise.”

 

Standing up, She hugged Jane.

 

“Thanks for being so cool about this. I’ll e-mail you in a day or so.”

 

“No problem.” Jane said. “Even if it was just for a few hours it was great to see you. Now take care.”

 

A moment later, Daria and her driver were on their way to the airport. After watching the car leave Jane closed the door and turned to look at Jenny.

 

“I’m sorry you and Daria didn’t get more time together.”

 

Jenny looked up at her mom and smiled.

 

“It’s okay. That’s her job. I understand. Plus she’s going to send me another card for my album.”

 

Jane smiled back at her daughter.

 

“Whatever you say squirt. Now it’s late and you have a full day ahead of you so get back to bed. I’ll be right behind you.”

 

“Can I sleep with you tonight?”

 

“I guess so. Go on up. I just need to turn out some lights and I’ll be right there.”

 

Running up the stairs, Jenny said, “Yes Maam.”

 

Standing alone in the room, Jane looked out the window to see if the car was still in sight then switched off the porch light and went to her room.

 

The End.